April 19, 2024, 03:04:38 AM

Author Topic: 2008 FRENCH OPEN.  (Read 3266 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2008 FRENCH OPEN.
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:33:22 PM »
Djokovic, Blake, Nalbandian win at French Openby Associated PressUpdated: May 25, 2008, 7:49 PM EST7 comments add this Novak Djokovic sluggishly began his quest for a second straight Grand Slam title by holding off Denis Gremelmayr 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-2 Sunday in the first round of the French Open.

The Australian Open champion was broken in his first two service games on center court and trailed 5-1 in the first set before finding some of his game in the second.

"He surprised me a little bit. He was very aggressive," said Djokovic, who reached the semifinals at Roland Garros last year. "I wasn't really on my highest level, but hopefully I can continue on and go far."

No. 6 David Nalbandian and No. 7 James Blake also won easily in their first-round matches Sunday.

In the third set, Djokovic's emotions started coming out, starting with a throw of his racket into the red clay after Gremelmayr hit a forehand winner in the opening game.

Djokovic then took a 4-1 lead after breaking his German opponent in the fifth game of the third set. Trailing 30-15 in that game, the pair traded 28 shots before Djokovic won the point with a smash near the net. The third-seeded Serb then raised his arms over his head and leaned over the net to applause while Gremelmayr looked on smiling.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 FRENCH OPEN.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »
meh boy roger still to win here.and de way he strugglin these days,he might have to wait.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:11:42 AM »
Is Venus playin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
Thanks I was 2 lazy 2 look it up
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »
Thanks I was 2 lazy 2 look it up

I know the feeling... I am usually the one waiting for someone here to post the info.  ;)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
She nearly get licks 2day

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
Seren beaten so go Venus I rather u any way

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
Venus gone as well so there ends my interest in d French Open

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
both williams girls gone.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
No Serena Williams means no reason for Sando Prince to watch the Open

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
Nadal, Djokovic roll into French semisby Associated PressUpdated: June 3, 2008, 11:45 AM EST0 comments add this Five rounds into the French Open, king of clay Rafael Nadal still awaits a serious challenge.
Novak Djokovic hopes to provide it in the semifinals.

Three-time defending champion Nadal matched the most lopsided Grand Slam victory of his career Tuesday, defeating fellow Spaniard Nicolas Almagro 6-1, 6-1, 6-1. The drubbing equaled the standard Nadal set in his previous victory, when he lost three games against another Spaniard, Fernando Verdasco.

Nadal was giving the center-court crowd a thumbs-up signal to punctuate his triumph shortly after Djokovic completed a much more arduous win on Court Suzanne Lenglen. He needed more than three hours to eliminate childhood friend Ernests Gulbis 7-5, 7-6 (3), 7-5.

The No. 3-seeded Djokovic will play No. 2 Nadal in a much-anticipated showdown Friday, with No. 1 Roger Federer looming as a potential opponent for the winner in the final.

Nadal is 26-0 at Roland Garros but Djokovic is making a mark in the record book, too.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »
Nadal, Federer to meet in third straight French finalUpdated: June 6, 2008, 3:34 PM EST 60 comments add this RSS blog email print PARIS (AP) - As the points piled up and the light faded, it was tough to decide which scenario had seemed less likely at the outset of the French Open semifinals Friday:

That Rafael Nadal would be so dominant during a 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 (3) victory over Novak Djokovic, a man who is, after all, ranked No. 3 and a Grand Slam champion?

2008 French Open

Results: Day 13: Nadal, Federer make men's final
Day 12: Ivanovic, Safina reach final
Day 11: Federer in semi | Russians rally
Day 10: Men | Women | 9: Women | Men
Day 8: Men | Women | 7: Women | Men
Day 6: Men/Women | 5: Men | Women
Day 4: Women | Men | 3: Women | Rain
Day 2: Women | Men | 1: Men | Women

Analysis: Tennis Week: Ivanovic has arrived
Tennis Week: Federer roaring back

Others: VIDEO: New No. 1 Ivanovic into final
PHOTOS: All the action from Paris
Singles draws: Men | Women

Partners: Tennis Week: Analysis, video and more
Richard's Court: Inside the tennis world
Tennis Channel: French Open coverage
Or that Roger Federer would run into so much trouble before winning 6-2, 5-7, 6-3, 7-5 against Gael Monfils, a man who is, after all, ranked 59th and a major semifinalist for the first time?

Then again, by the end of the day, Roland Garros once more produced the likeliest of all championship matches: No. 1 Federer vs. No. 2 Nadal.

"Rafa again, across the net — it's the ultimate test on clay. It would be so much better to win the French Open by beating him," Federer said. "It should be entertaining to watch."

The showdown Sunday is their third consecutive French Open final, their fifth Grand Slam final overall, and plenty is on the line.

Nadal can become the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1978-81 to win the tournament four years in a row. Federer can add the lone major trophy missing from his collection, thereby making him the sixth man to complete a career Grand Slam and increasing his total haul to 13 majors, one shy of Pete Sampras' record.

"What's special is winning the tournament, not beating Federer," said Nadal's uncle and coach, Toni. "But if Rafael beats Federer, it means more."

Federer is 6-10 overall against Nadal, including 1-8 on clay and 0-3 at the French Open, where they also met in the 2005 semifinals.

"I will try everything," Federer said. "I hope I will finally win here."

Nadal hasn't lost at Roland Garros. Ever. He improved to 27-0 by beating Djokovic, who won the Australian Open in January and would have overtaken Nadal in the rankings by beating him.

But by the sixth game, Djokovic's cheeks were flush from exertion and he was gasping for air. Nadal make him look like a first-round opponent who had come through qualifying.

"Almost perfect," was the way Nadal described his performance. "Best match at Roland Garros so far, no?"

Federer's semifinal was second, so he took advantage of the opportunity to watch his nemesis.

"Rafa played fantastic for basically the entire time," said Federer, who helped his own cause by winning the point on 49 of 64 trips to the net against Monfils.

Nadal does his finest work along the baseline, and the longer the point, the better, as far as he's concerned. Against Djokovic, he won 32 of the 48 points that lasted at least 10 strokes, according to a tally compiled by The Associated Press.

In addition to showing up on the scoreboard, each of those extended rallies — often prolonged by Nadal's tremendous defense — can take a toll on an opponent's body and morale.

"Sometimes," Djokovic acknowledged, "it's really frustrating when you can't make a winner."

He didn't register his second forehand winner until the second set, which says far less about Djokovic's ability than Nadal's knack for getting to the ball.

Djokovic finally made a stand after trailing 3-0 in the third set, but by then the final outcome hardly seemed in doubt. Even French tennis federation president Christian Bimes, seated next to Borg in the front row, motioned toward someone with a pinkie and thumb near an ear, the international signal for, "Let's talk on the phone."

Djokovic reached set point while leading 6-5 in the third, but Nadal erased that with a cross-court forehand that wrong-footed the Serb. Later, Nadal said he was trying to hit a safe shot, not a winner. That's how things went for the Spaniard, who then built a 6-0 lead in the tiebreaker.

"He showed again that in the most important moments, he's very strong mentally," Djokovic said.

The same could be said of Federer, who reached his 15th Grand Slam final, tied for fifth-most in history.

Monfils, an enthusiastic Frenchman backed Friday by about 15,000 of his closest friends in the center court stands, is unaccustomed to this sort of high-pressure match, having never before been beyond the fourth round at a major. He began the match by double-faulting on the way to getting broken at love, something he later attributed to contact-lens problems.

"The key to the match," Federer called that start. "He was always trailing."

Well, not quite, because when Federer dumped a volley into the net, then shanked a forehand, Monfils broke him to take the second set. All even. Monfils strutted to the sideline pounding his chest with a fist.

When Monfils held for a 1-0 lead in the third, he technically was ahead, but Federer broke two games later. There were worrisome moments to come for Federer, including when he blew a set point and was broken while serving for the third set at 5-3. He broke right back, however.

Little came easy in the fourth set, either, when Monfils earned six break points, two at a time at 1-1, 2-2 and 3-3. Federer saved them all, making him 10-for-13 for the match.

Monfils kept things interesting, saving two match points — one with a 128 mph ace — while trailing 5-4 in the fourth set. When the 21-year-old who shows up at postmatch news conferences wearing NFL or college football jerseys held to 5-5 with a 124 mph service winner, he stood in the middle of the court and raised his arms, encouraging the partisan crowd to get louder.

"I thought that would put pressure on Roger," Monfils said, "but he didn't feel any pressure."

Alas for the locals, Monfils wouldn't win another game.

Federer finished him off with two volley winners, then shook his racket as he skipped to the net, knowing full well what awaits.

"Honestly, I felt relief," Federer said. "And then, 5 or 10 seconds later, I started thinking about another final. That's where I want to be."

Federer cutarse book.

And I'm a huge Federer fan.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
Ivanovic stops Safina for first Grand SlamUpdated: June 7, 2008, 7:00 PM EST 58 comments add this RSS blog email print PARIS (AP) - At last, Ana Ivanovic overcame her stage fright.

In two previous major finals, Ivanovic was so overwhelmed by the setting, so shaken by the stakes, that her focus fell apart and her shots went awry.

Already assured of rising to No. 1 in the rankings for the first time, Ivanovic collected Grand Slam title No. 1 by beating Dinara Safina 6-4, 6-3 in the French Open final Saturday.

Rather than erasing the memories of those lopsided losses in championship matches against Justine Henin at Roland Garros a year ago and against Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open in January, Ivanovic used the bitterness to help her.

"Many, many people ask me, 'Oh, you want to forget last year's final?' But I don't, because it was a great learning experience," said Ivanovic, a 20-year-old from Serbia.

She won only three games against Henin, then eight against Sharapova, and said of the latter defeat: "I had a few sleepless nights after that."

But in the months since, Ivanovic realized this: Part of her difficulty in those matches rested with either looking ahead — "Hey, maybe I can actually win this thing," she was thinking against Henin — or looking behind — failing to put a few key points out of her mind against Sharapova.

Ivanovic lost two consecutive matches on clay before coming to Paris, and she knew she had to change something. She credits her strength and conditioning coach, Scott Byrnes, with helping find what she called a "tool" to make sure she stays focused on the court.

And it couldn't be simpler: Take the time to pause and breathe.

"My personality is I tend too much to think about what will be, and try to think too much in advance, which is definitely not too good," Ivanovic said. "So I found that breathing helps me to go back in a moment and just enjoy that very moment."

That's what carried her through the tightest of times against the 13th-seeded Safina, the younger sister of two-time major champion Marat Safin.

In the men's final Sunday, No. 1 Roger Federer will meet No. 2 Rafael Nadal in their third consecutive title match at Roland Garros. Nadal seeks a fourth French Open championship, and Federer is hoping to complete a career Grand Slam.

Ivanovic was a point from taking a 5-1 lead in the first set when Safina showed some spark, using a running forehand winner and a swinging volley winner to get to break point. Ivanovic then dumped a forehand into the net, and 10 minutes later, when Safina smacked a backhand winner down the line, suddenly the score was 4-all.

"It was tough, because a lot of emotions build up inside," said Ivanovic, who was seeded No. 2 behind Sharapova at the French Open but will pass her in Monday's rankings. "All of a sudden, you're equal again. So to keep my composure at that point — it was huge for me."

In the very next game, Ivanovic broke back with a backhand winner of her own, then pumped her fist and let out one of her many yelps of "Hajde!" (sounds like "HIGH-deh!") — Serbian for "Come on!"

There were more tests to come.

Trying to serve out the first set, Ivanovic faced two break points, and squandered a set point, before closing it out with her signature shot, a forehand. That was part of a run in which Ivanovic took five of six games to go ahead 3-1 in the second set.

The final instance in which nerves might have come into play was in the seventh game of the second set, a 20-point tussle in which Ivanovic wasted two break points and Safina blew five game points. Adding to the tension, Safina kept backing out of her serving motion because the sobs of a child crying in the upper deck could be heard throughout the stadium. Eventually, Safina held to cut Ivanovic's lead to 4-3.

Potentially uplifting for Safina. Potentially deja vu for Ivanovic.

"Mental games out there today," Ivanovic said.

She remembered to stop and breathe and played with aplomb down the stretch, winning eight of the next nine points to end the match.

"Once you are on the court — it's much easier said than done — but you have to be a killer," Ivanovic said through a wide smile. "You have to put them under pressure and show your presence and stuff."

It might have helped Saturday that the recently retired Henin was in the front row in a red jacket, not on the court wielding a racket.

Safina sure can wallop the ball, but she's hardly as complete a player as four-time French Open champion Henin, and never made it past the quarterfinals at any Grand Slam tournament until this one.

Nonetheless, Safina was trying to become the first woman to win a major title after having saved a match point against two opponents. Against both Sharapova in the fourth round, and No. 7 Elena Dementieva in the quarterfinals, Safina trailed by a set and 5-2 in the second set, then was a point from losing at 5-3, before coming all the way back to complete the upsets.

Those were part of a 12-match winning streak Safina carried into Saturday, including six victories over top-10 opponents.

"This time? I tried," Safina said, "but I didn't have any more of that fire."

When it was over, Ivanovic stood on a line judge's chair to climb into the stands for hugs and kisses with her parents, her brother and other supporters.

She spoke afterward about the days when she rode her bicycle to practice, thinking of being a champion one day. Those dreams might have seemed far away when, growing up in a war-torn land, Ivanovic honed her tennis skills in the winter by practicing on the floor of a drained indoor swimming pool.

This is the second consecutive Grand Slam tournament with a champion from her nation of 7.5 million people. Novak Djokovic won the men's title at the Australian Open.

"I said, 'Come on, he could do it — I could do it, too.' So it's something that for sure motivates," Ivanovic said, "and I hope also many young kids will get inspired from us."

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 08:04:27 AM »
Win or lose, I stickin' wit Federer. Nadal does hit he "backhand" strokes wit two hands every time. Dize fuh gyirls. Leh he stay dey.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »
I never thought I would see a beatdown of Federer like I see today. Can you be the greatest player ever if you can't beat 1 guy on 1 surface?  These are interesting times, I think we're looking at perhaps the greatest all-surface player ever and the greatest clay-court player ever.

Win or lose, I stickin' wit Federer. Nadal does hit he "backhand" strokes wit two hands every time. Dize fuh gyirls. Leh he stay dey.

Agasi had a 2-handed backhand. But then, if yuh prefer to be macho than to win 4 straight....
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
What a beat down dat was a good old lickin

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 04:18:26 PM »
I never thought I would see a beatdown of Federer like I see today. Can you be the greatest player ever if you can't beat 1 guy on 1 surface?  These are interesting times, I think we're looking at perhaps the greatest all-surface player ever and the greatest clay-court player ever.

Federer wasn't up to the task today. Way too many unforced errors. We'll know, come Wimbledon, if it's a passing of the torch, but I doubt it.

Agasi had a 2-handed backhand. But then, if yuh prefer to be macho than to win 4 straight....

I eh vex wit 'im (or Agasi, for that matter) I actually think Nadal is a very gracious competitor and that is alwaysnice to see. is just that, when you use two hands for a backhand, it essentially becomes a forehand of the other hand. I always appreciate a tennis player that could master a classic backhanded shot. It does take alot of skill, even on a ping-pong table.   

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 08:05:59 PM »
From the time Federer walked on the court, I had this feeling that it wasn't going to be his day. His whole body language and demeanour seemed to be that of a beaten man.

I think Nadal has a psychological hold over him. Even Nadal is clearly the superior player on clay, I think the manner of defeat  (especially losing the 3rd set 6-0) seemed to indicate that Federer had simply given up on the match.

Quite painful to witness such a talented and great champion being humiliated like that.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »
From the time Federer walked on the court, I had this feeling that it wasn't going to be his day. His whole body language and demeanour seemed to be that of a beaten man.

I think Nadal has a psychological hold over him. Even Nadal is clearly the superior player on clay, I think the manner of defeat  (especially losing the 3rd set 6-0) seemed to indicate that Federer had simply given up on the match.

Quite painful to witness such a talented and great champion being humiliated like that.

Doh worry, once he smell grass he go start to canter again.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 10:13:37 PM »
steups.

1]; } ?>