April 26, 2024, 04:59:47 AM

Author Topic: Jack's promise  (Read 2968 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Jack's promise
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:32:25 PM »
Jack's promise
By: Lasana Liburd (Express)

Sunday, June 1st 2008

Lasana Liburd uses the occasion of today's Centennial match between Trinidad and Tobago and England to ponder FIFA vice-president Jack Warner's bittersweet relationship with T&T fans

This weekend, Trinidad and Tobago football fans must have thought that Christmas came early.

There were more than a thousand supporters at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Friday morning when England held their first training session and, judging by the excited screams of the female patrons whenever David Beckham was in possession, they were not disappointed.

If the intensity of their workout in the fierce sunshine is reciprocated today, there are unlikely to be complaints about the performance of an England squad that was prematurely and, almost certainly, unfairly derided by some as "sub-standard".

The fixture offers an excellent opportunity too for younger T&T players like Keon Daniel and Khaleem Hyland to attract global attention while gaining a first-hand, albeit brief, education from genuine superstars like Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand.

The troop of pubescent faces streaming towards the Stadium on Indian Arrival Day was reminiscent of the excitement experienced when Trinidad and Tobago hosted the Under-17 World Cup in 2001.

Then, local fans looked on in awe at starlets like Argentina's Carlos Tevez, Spain's Fernando Torres and France's Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

Neither event would have been possible without Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner. Yet, they will do little to soften the hearts of his critics.

Warner might argue that he has provided entertainment to football fans who were accustomed to seeing the world's best on television before Dwight Yorke suddenly joined the elite during a brief but exciting spell with Manchester United.

But at what cost are we amused and towards what end?

It is not that Trinidad and Tobago fans are ungrateful but, rather, that such grand occasions inadvertently highlight the football jefe's own shortcomings. It is the same twang that a coach feels at the sight of a delightful Kerwin Jemmott pass. Nice, but it could have been so much more.

Warner's eagerness to cash in on Trinidad and Tobago's football highs is well documented, from the 1989 and 2006 ticket scandals to the controversial 2001 catering, internet and building contracts. So, too, is his spite.

One travel agency sponsored the famous 1973 national team a trip to the Germany World Cup and asked Warner to match the gesture by funding the 1989 outfit, the Strike Squad, who came within a point of Italia 1990. The suggestion was ignored.

Today's Centennial match will pass without official recognition for the most successful Trinidad and Tobago team of all time-the "Soca Warriors", who, in 2006, helped the twin island republic become the smallest nation ever to participate in the prestigious world football championships.

Warner might have heard of them. They have been bothering his staff for the past two weeks for match tickets-not complimentary ones either.

No one in the Caribbean begrudges Warner his wealth or influence. But his heavy-handed approach and disinclination towards fair play leave a bitter taste.

And so, instead of standing by his promise of bonuses to the 2006 World Cup players, he stalls them in court in the hope that their resolve falters in the face of mounting legal fees.

Rather than sit with the Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT) to discuss important matters like match contracts, he prefers to negotiate directly with unrepresented and often unschooled players.

When it boils down to it, Warner does what suits him best and global football conspicuously lacks a buffer to his egotistical, greedy side. And, for all the good he does his country, it is the shameless and unethical manner in which he helps his family and himself that is most pronounced.

The English media and supporters might grumble at the prospect of a low-key exhibition across the Atlantic.

Martin O'Hara, chairman of the Yorkshire England supporters group and member of the England fans set-up, sacrificed his "top capper" status by refusing to travel to Trinidad in protest at the "political nature" of today's fixture and the "timing, location and strength of the opposition".

But do not expect Trinidad and Tobago fans to get teary-eyed at the prospect of a dozen-plus overpaid professionals being asked to play an additional match before their holidays.

If the England FA are "politicking" in a bid to host the 2018 World Cup, Port of Spain surely will not be the last place they are seen grovelling.

Some local fans from the socawarriors.net forum plan to wear black as a sign of protest today, but they are peeved at Warner's failure to see past his own ends and the T&TFF's poor handling of team matters, rather than Steven Gerrard's truncated vacation plans.

As fans swoon at Beckham this afternoon, they would be mindful to keep one hand on their pockets. Warner should and could have been much bigger and better than that.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's promise
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »
"Jack's promise"   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lasana...sorry eh
that was ALL I could read before I buss out laughing eh

sorry
I go have to read the rest later
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »
Read WEST read we wearin black get mention
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »
"Jack's promise"   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lasana...sorry eh
that was ALL I could read before I buss out laughing eh

sorry
I go have to read the rest later

Nothing at all comical about the headline.  Jack has/had promise in the same vein that Hardest has/had promise...promise unfulfilled.

Jack's promise
By: Lasana Liburd (Express)

Sunday, June 1st 2008

...It is not that Trinidad and Tobago fans are ungrateful but, rather, that such grand occasions inadvertently highlight the football jefe's own shortcomings. It is the same twang that a coach feels at the sight of a delightful Kerwin Jemmott pass. Nice, but it could have been so much more.

Really not that hard.

btw Lasana..."Twang"?  Whey's dat ah cross between ah 'twinge' and ah 'pang' or what? Lol..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:48:09 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
thanks Lasana for mentioning the forum :beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
Ah get the impression Lasana softening his position.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »

Nah, just tactfully mastering de english language to make his point  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »

ya kno 100%, dais it right there :applause:

and by the way, I have read the article as of now.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 12:13:55 AM »

Lasana just like 90% of the objective observers looking on.  Jack is not all evil...he has done a tremendous amount of good for Trinidad and caribbean (CONCACAF) football.  However, unlike what Jack would have you believe (and Lasana hints at this) he didn't do this out of altruism or the magnamity of his spirit... there was a quid pro quo and he and his family sure benefited.

It would all be palatable as I said earlier in the week if he wasn't so bloomin (or "bleddy" as de ole people use tuh say  :rotfl: ) small-minded, spiteful and vindictive.  His reign could have been much more memorable and certainly much more beneficial to us all... football cognoscenti and commoner alike, but alas is not every water fit for making into wine.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 12:22:27 AM »
It would all be palatable as I said earlier in the week if he wasn't so bloomin (or "bleddy" as de ole people use tuh say  :rotfl: ) small-minded, spiteful and vindictive.  His reign could have been much more memorable and certainly much more beneficial to us all... football cognoscenti and commoner alike, but alas is not every water fit for making into wine.
it is amazing the amount of people in TnT who will not accept this opinion......each to their own.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
well west coast i see jamaicans support jack 1000%

Reggae-Fan  
Reggae Guru   Join Date: Jul 1995
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

true, Boxhill might have been under-minded...but thats what happens when you are way over your head in a position you are not qualified to hold.

Anyway....you are entitled to ur opinion on JW. You seem to be one of those people who choose to align urself with losers and hate on teh proven achievers....there are many like you on this message board so u are in good company. check out my siganture for a hint.

HL  
Reggae 5 Star General   Join Date: Jul 1996
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read with disgust when some football pundits say bad things about Jack 'the ripper' Warner.

I looked at those pictures and see the fantastic job Mr. Warner has done in inproving the football infrastructure in Trinidad.

Mr. Warner is a business man. he deserves all the returns from the investment he has made in football. Yes,even the fringe benefits from tickets sales.

When that Jack Warner is working...most of his critics are still fast asleep.

Excellent job as always Jack!!!

Yesterday, 06:16 AM  
Assasin  
Reggae Ambassador   Join Date: Jul 1995

Jack the ripper --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Trinis and some a di forumites them come and complain bout Jack all the while.

Have they taken into consideration the environment in Trinidad where certain players have to have "special" arrangements to play for their country? Including staying in different hotel from the rest of the team and commanding huge salaries and fringe benefit to represent.

The issue with the stadium and the Trinidad government shows the enviroment in which operates. All of a sudden big game a play them a go raise the price?

It shows there are many in Trinidad just talking and hating and make Jack the only scapegoat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »
well west coast i see jamaicans support jack 1000%
yes, I know, even Big Tiefs does have friends and adherents. ;)
 ;D

people dont see all the MONEY he has squirreled away instead of spending it on the development of FOOTBALL in TnT.......he is dependant on the need for young footballer to represent their country with out spending any money ...................the man is a LEECH
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:18:03 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Very good article by Lasana. Well worded report with nuanced points of criticism and qualified appreciation of this infamous character, to reflect the twisted individual that he is, with both evil-ish and godfather-like, Dole-Chadee-like tendencies.

Good opportunity taken to mention that an important posse from SW.net will be wearing black (not exaggerating the crowd that this represents) but giving opportunity for the influence to grow by mentioning it the morning of the game, when everybody readin' de newspapers. Big up  :beermug:

Good points by B&S. Coops, yuh point appears poorly timed padnah and makes me wonder about whey yuh really coming from chief. But nuff respect to you always, as you say your stuff in a gentlemanly manner, disagreeing, without being disagreeable.

Good luck Warriors. Good luck Hyland, Keon and especially Guerra who I think is the most spectacular of them li'l yout's. Thanks to Jackula for the greed in him that was the motivation for this game that we will see. However, no thanks to Jackula for disrespecting our country's heroes, a point which hurts in a very very profound way.

We will continue to enjoy our ball and hope that this intentional manipulative dissing of our Germany heroes is a blessing in disguise until and when reconciliation is forced upon Jackulito in the latter part of the campaign. Hopefully he will partially come to his senses and ease up on the evil vindictiveness inflicted upon innocent honest players who make these forumites so happy and fanatical.

A realistic goal is for a Jackula, still there with heavily clipped wings (effectively in a no-fly zone restriction) with obsessive societal oversight to make him partially behave and follow rules, as de Warrior 16,  FPATT, Hunt and Judge Carol Gobin just succeeded in doing. Otherwise he will have to step down (not voluntarily  ;)  ). Take your pick.

Now lets have some fun!   :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :whip: :whip: :whip:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:02:56 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>