April 17, 2024, 10:25:54 PM

Author Topic: Romany: Today's a special occasion.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Romany: Today's a special occasion.
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Romany: Today's a special occasion.
Express Reports.

Sunday, June 1st 2008

...TTFF deserve kudos

The visit of the England team and the response from the Trinidad and Tobago public confirms yet again the potential of football, in particular, and sport on a whole to unite the nation, according to T&T Pro League chairman Larry Romany.

"The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF), past and present footballers, coaches, referees, volunteers and (TTFF special adviser and FIFA vice-president) Jack Warner deserve kudos for the fact that football has survived and thrived in the Federation's 100-year history," said Romany, who is also president of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee.

"By any stretch of imagination, Sunday June 1 is a special occasion. It is one that I expect the players to cherish. I look forward to the Soca Warriors producing a great performance," he added.

Romany believes that the T&T Pro League is well represented in the national squad selected for the international friendly at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

"The T&T Pro League players and clubs have been given every opportunity by Trinidad and Tobago head coach Francisco Maturana. It is a good test for everyone-players, coaches, fans and administrators.

"It is not every day that England comes to T&T to play football," said Romany.
Beckham-mania at Macoya
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Sunday, June 1st 2008

A star-struck young lady planted a kiss on David Beckham's cheek and then looked as if she would faint afterwards.

Giddy with excitement, she was among some 80 youthful footballers and a full main stand of fans who got a chance to see England superstars Beckham (LA Galaxy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) and Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) up close and personal at a football clinic at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya, on Friday evening.

Also adding to the occasion was the involvement of Trinidad and Tobago and Sunderland stars Kenwyne Jones and Carlos Edwards, along with Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince and Aurtis Whitley, who will captain the national team in today's friendly international against England at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Anyone disputing that football was the top sport in Trinidad and Tobago would have been quickly put in their place by the sheer numbers and vociferous support of fans who turned up at Macoya.

Not since qualifying for the World Cup two years ago has the game been at such a high in T&T and, suddenly, the radio stations have again started to play Maximus Dan's "Warrior", rallying cry for the national squad in Germany in 2006.

Fans, too, are once again singing:

"I'm ah Soca Warrior, I say win or lose I am ah fighter. I'm ah Soca Warrior, I come to shine meh nationality brighter." A couple of children were singing the song as they left Marvin Lee Stadium, excited by the chance to see Beckham close up, also recalling they were among those who saw the English team train earlier that day at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Among those getting the chance to take a knock with Beckham and company were national women's team coach Marlon Charles and the national junior women's team, as well as coach Dion La Foucade and members of his coaching school.

Undoubtedly, the star of the day was Beckham, England's most recognisable footballer.

Anything he did drew applause...even when he missed the ball. Afterwards, the LA Galaxy midfielder was swamped by children and adults alike seeking autographs and mementos of having met the world-renowned footballer.

Even local stars like Leonson Lewis, Jones and Edwards took the chance to have a photo opportunity with "Becks".

Beckham coming to Trinidad and Tobago has not just excited fans about seeing England, but seems to have also given T&T football a major boost.

With Jamaica to visit next Saturday for another friendly international and the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign set to begin on June 15 against Bermuda, football looks to have taken off once again in the land of the Soca Warriors.
Soca Warriors fight in white.
By: Ian Prescott (Express)

Beckham leads England today

Sunday, June 1st 2008

TEAM SPIRIT: Trinidad and Tobago national team footballers embrace each other at yesterday's training session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, where they take on England from 5.30 p.m. today in a friendly international. -Photos: Jermaine Cruickshank

Striker Kenwyne Jones reckons that Trinidad and Tobago have a good chance of scoring an upset against England today when the teams meet in a friendly international from 5.30 p.m. at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain.

A sellout crowd of 23,000 already have tickets for what is the biggest "non-competitive" match to be played in the Caribbean for many years. And the home team will fight in a white strip when they take on the English in a re-enactment of their World Cup meeting two years ago which was won 2-0 by England.

Jones, the baby of the T&T Soca Warriors in Germany in 2006, is now 23 and the most high-profile member of the national team after his exploits in the 2007-2008 English Premier League season when playing for Sunderland FC.

Although fielding a young, very inexperienced squad, Jones believes Trinidad and Tobago can rise to the occasion this evening.

"We have a good chance. We believe in ourselves and we will see what happens. It's football and at the end of the day we will welcome the chance to raise our level and raise our game. Hopefully, we will do that."

Yesterday, Trinidad and Tobago's Colombian coach Francisco Maturana confirmed a starting XI who will be led at the front by strikers Jones and Southampton top-scorer Stern John.

Also in the line-up are English-based professionals, goalkeeper Clayton Ince (Walsall), defender Dennis Lawrence (Swansea City) and Sunderland winger Carlos Edwards.

"I hope the team responds well to the tactical direction they have been given," said Maturana. "I am pleased with the way the team is responding ... with a spirit of fun, but also very serious."

Maturana also hinted that Dwight Yorke may get a run at some stage, though he has not yet decided what role the former national team captain will play.

The coach said the match presents an excellent opportunity for the people of Trinidad and Tobago to get a last chance to thank Yorke for the incredible role he has played for the country. And with each team allowed up to seven substitutes, Yorke is confident he will also see action.

"I have been keeping myself reasonably fit. I know I need to get out there and strut myself a little bit more. Every footballer knows that being in the gym is not enough so, hopefully, I can get a good run out today," said T&T's World Cup skipper. "I haven't talked to the management, but I'm sure that at some time I would play some role at some stage.

"The most important thing is that the lads learn from it. It is a great experience for some of the players who haven't had the opportunity to play against the likes of Rio (Ferdinand) and (David) Beckham, because in this part of the world we don't see those kind of players on a regular basis," added Yorke.

Earlier yesterday, England coach Fabio Capello named Beckham as his captain and also dismissed suggestions by the English media that today's friendly international is just a publicity relations exercise on behalf of the English Football Association, which is bidding to host the 2018 World Cup.

Capello's squad travelling to Trinidad and Tobago has been seen as an attempt to secure the vote of Trinidadian FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, who is among the officials who will decide where the 2018 tournament will be held.

"Tomorrow will be a good test because we are playing also away. We have to play with confidence and we have to win," Capello said at a media conference. "My work is not PR, my work is to be manager, nothing more."

John Benneton, the English FA director of communications, also defended the decision to play in Trinidad and Tobago at this stage of the season, stating: "We don't get many opportunities to get to play games outside of Europe. To help the World Cup bid is great and part of coming to this country is for the World Cup, but Fabio is happy with it."

Capello also defended the decision to install former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder Beckham as England captain.

The Italian said that fitness was the reason he initially left Beckham out of the squad when he took up the England job. But, Capello added he is now satisfied that Beckham is fully fit for the job.

He also praised Manchester United defender Ferdinand for volunteering to come to Trinidad, even though he had the option to go on vacation after playing in last month's Champions League final against Chelsea.

"I know Beckham very well," said Capello, the former Real Madrid coach. "I know Beckham physically and the mentality. I know he is a very good professional man."

TEAMS:

T&T STARTING LINE-UP: Clayton Ince (Goalkeeper), Dennis Lawrence, Makan Hislop, Kern Cupid, Ancil Farrier, Aurtis Whitley (Captain), Khaleem Hyland, Carlos Edwards, Keon Daniel, Stern John, Kenwyne Jones

Substitutes: Marvin Phillip (Goalkeeper), Darryl Roberts, Osei Telesford, Kareem Smith, Akeem Adams, Attula Guerra, Hayden Tinto, Dwight Yorke

England Squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Joe Lewis (Peterborough)

Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Stephen Warnock (Blackburn), David Wheater (Middlesbrough), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), David Bentley (Blackburn), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Forwards: Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Dean Ashton (West Ham), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:36:10 PM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Romany: Today's a special occasion
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »
U was goin good till u say kudos 2 d TTFF
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »
Good hustle work as usual e-man...

Capello's saying all the right things

Becks doing all the right things...

Have to give Rio his props...completely overlooked the fact that while the rest of the ManU and Chelsea players were given time off he took it upon himself to come to TnT and be part of this.  Too bad he can't make a detour and go visit the fams in St. Lucia.

Hope things go well tomorrow for both squads and that we can silence the English critics.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:09 AM »
perfect line up
football in meh veins football in meh blood

1]; } ?>