April 25, 2024, 04:20:31 AM

Author Topic: 'The shot' ends 40 years of hurt  (Read 8077 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
'The shot' ends 40 years of hurt
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »
'The shot' ends 40 years of hurt
(FIFA.com)

Tuesday 3 June 2008

USA returned to the FIFA World Cup™ finals after 40 years in the wilderness on 19 November 1989, while Trinidad and Tobago were left to ponder just where it all went wrong. Join FIFA.com for a closer look at the final CONCACAF qualifier for Italy 1990 and the 'shot heard round the world'.

The Summary
19 November 1989, National Stadium, Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago 0-1 USA
Scorers: Paul Caligiuri
Trinidad and Tobago: Maurice, Morris, Williams, Francis, Faustin, Latapy, Lewis, Allen, Jones, Yorke, Jamerson.
USA: Meola, Windischmann, Doyle, Trittschuh, Krumpe, Caligiuri, Bliss, Harkes, Ramos, Vermes, Murray.

The stakes
The US were given little-to-no chance of reaching the 1990 FIFA World Cup Italy, even with a window opened due to the disqualification of traditional powers Mexico. The Americans had not qualified for a world finals since their trip to Brazil in 1950, where, thanks to a fortuitous flick by Joe Gaetjens, they famously beat England in Belo Horizonte.

Their 40 years in the wilderness was not the only negative factor working against USA in 1989. Unlike today, the side was a loosely-knit gang of University players and semi-professionals. In the squad were future stars such as Tab Ramos, Tony Meola and John Harkes, but the only full-professional player at the time was defender Paul Caligiuri, who, as it turned out, proved the match winner.

Soccer was of only nominal concern to most Americans in 1989, but there was a lot riding on the outcome of their last qualifier with Trinidad and Tobago. Months before, the USA was awarded the hosting rights to the next finals, in 1994, but FIFA's decision was pending the national team's qualification for the 1990 finals. As if that pressure was not enough, the Americans had scored only one goal in their last three qualifying games and needed to win in Port of Spain, which was in full party mode, against what was considered the best Trinidadian side of all time, with the likes of Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke.

Add to that the fact that no US team had won an away qualifier in more than 21 years, and it was nothing short of mission impossible for the Yanks.

The Story
It was a scorching evening in the Trinidadian capital, which was literally painted red to match the home team's jerseys. All the Soca Warriors needed was a draw in front of more than 30,000 fanatical supporters to reach their first-ever FIFA World Cup. It did not seem too tough a task against an American side that was on a scoring drought of over 200 consecutive minutes.

Tony Meola was the man who had kept the dream alive for USA up to that point. "We went three games without conceding a goal before we went to Port of Spain," the then-University of Virginia goalkeeper told FIFA.com. "But we needed to win and we weren't sure where the goals were going to come from."

Just after the half-hour mark his question was answered. Caligiuri stepped up to collect a square ball from Bruce Murray, which bobbled up off the ruddy pitch. Instead of laying it off for the darting Tab Ramos or looking to keep possession, the defender - who would only ever score five goals in 110 appearances for his country - beat one man and swung his left foot hopefully. The shot looped in an arc towards the Trinidadian goal and caught keeper Michael Maurice, who claims to have been blinded by the sun, off his line.

The goal was dubbed 'the shot heard round the world' by a suddenly interested US media, opportunistically smelling a novelty story to sell. It later became known as simply 'the shot' in the USA.

"There was a lot of luck involved," Caligiuri later said of the game's deciding goal. "I was a long way away but I knew when it came off his foot that it had a chance of going in," added Meola, whose job on the night had only begun.

The American goalkeeper was put under pressure for the remaining 60 minutes, pulling off save after save in yet another splendid performance. "They threw everything they had at us," he said.

At the final whistle, USA were celebrating their heroic win and all of Trinidad and Tobago was in a state of profound shock.

The Star
There was only ever one star in the game: Paul Caligiuri. Then with SV Meppen, he previously lined up for Hamburg and later for Hansa Rostock before ending his career at home in Major League Soccer. The California native was a surprise starter for coach Bob Gansler against T&T. Just recovering from a broken bone in his foot, he stepped in for John Stollmeyer, the side's usual centre-back. In addition to the iconic goal, Caligiuri did his part to keep teenage sensation Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy away from Meola's goal.

They said
"It wasn't like it is today. We had no pro league and no money and very little organisation. Looking back it's amazing that we achieved what we did. We had guys playing in semi-pro leagues and Sunday leagues just trying to keep fit, and in the end we did it. Everything the US has achieved since then is based on that win," Tony Meola, USA goalkeeper

"It was the single most important game we ever won. It proved to the rest of the world we can play and we can qualify. We knew what was on the line for the future of soccer in the United States," Paul Calgiuri, USA defender

"I was a 21-year-old kid back then and I had my whole career in front of me. We were so close to reaching the World Cup and then we all woke up the next morning to realise our dreams had been dashed," Russell Latapy, Trinidad and Tobago midfielder

"The disappointment was almost too much to bear," Dwight Yorke, Trinidad and Tobago forward

What happened next?
Football slowly became more than just a niche sport in the USA after that fateful day in November 1989. The national team has gone on to qualify for every FIFA World Cup since, reaching the second round as hosts in 1994 and the quarter-finals in 2002. Major League Soccer (MLS) was launched in 1996 and is growing stronger with each year as USA, alongside Mexico, are now considered the best team in the CONCACAF zone.

Trinidad and Tobago suffered a protracted crisis of confidence until their own fairytale finally came true in 2006. After beating Bahrain in an inter-continental play-off, the Soca Warriors - complete with survivors from 1989, Yorke and Latapy - joined USA at their first FIFA World Cup finals in Germany. They unexpectedly drew with Sweden in Dortmund in their first match, before losing to England and Paraguay.

Members of the US and T&T teams from 1989 played a friendly rematch in Port of Spain in 2006, the hosts having their revenge with a 4-1 win.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'The shot' ends 40 years of hurt
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
Was a sad day in my life...told my dad I had to go to the restroom 2 pee, because I was feeling like crying....

Ah was hoping Marvin Faustin would have made a world cup.... one of the best defenders I have ever seen....!

However ah see people who never been 2 de US in de darmn colours at the stadium that day.... and ah remember that as a boy.... traitors...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:41:28 AM by forever trini »

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »
Was a sad day in my life...told my dad I had to go to the restroom 2 pee, because I was feeling like crying....

However ah see people who never been 2 de US in de darmn colours.... and ah remember that as a boy.... traitors...

i was but a wee lil thing in those days...but that game and that goal was my 1st football memory...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »
i could ah care less about football back den lol
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »
Oh lord E-man....dis is one article yuh coulda pass over.... :)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
painful memories........first time i saw 2 of my uncles cry, big man and woman in d stadium crying.............ok i shed a tear as well  :devil:......i was only 9 but that lost hurt me to yes.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »

right by movie town side

Més que un club.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »
I remember being away from home for the first time in my life on a cold day in Toronto and wanting to know what happened. I remember staying up until 11:00pm to see the news on TSN only to see the highlights.

There was so much sadness in my heart that day. Those players like Williams, Faustin, Latapy and Yorke were my first generation of heroes. Before that time people wanted to be like Pele amd Maradona. But for the first time I remember playing football and everyone wanted to be a Yorke, Faustin etc. That was huge. It meant that your heroes were not living thousands of miles away they were living "down in the back."

E-Man you do fantastic work but you put me in a fowl mood. :'(

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
I was sick for a year!!!!!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 02:35:14 PM »
I needed therapy to help meh recover from that one. I thought we had that in the bag. >:( :-[
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
I was already in the states in meh early twenties. Couldn't miss that game. Ah travel down on de same plane Marcell went down on. Marlon Morris family and I were rel cool. So ah geh a ticket tuh take it een. All ah could remember is like dem player an dem foot had lead in it. Ah tink the occasion was too overwhelming fuh dem. About 3/4 quarters ah de way tuh de end ah see Brian Williams like a vaps take him. He start tuh take matters into his own han. Buh as we all know how it ended. Ah see nuff people CRY nah BAWL dong de place.

Yuh know when a return tuh de states somebody tieff mih video (of course ah couldn' view it for bout a year) of de game an' mih Strike Squad Jurzy. . .

Oh Well. . . Yuh had tuh be dere :(
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »
First yr away at University in JA of all places it was d most depressin day of meh life. JA wit dey old phone system could not even get a phone call 2 talk 2 meh mama. I really thought I buried dat Nov 16 2005 but when I c d nonesense happenin now it does bring back d drama of nov 19 thanks JW
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
ah know ah shouldn't ah read dis flipplin thread .......ah go start havin nightmares again........

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 09:02:11 PM »
I had just moved up here...almost 11 mos to the day and was still adjusting to life in High School.  I remember I went to Tilden Ball room off Flatbush (and Beverly?) to watch it....and Mr. Gracia, my chemistry teacher from Colombia (of all places) was there in a red shirt...total coincidence he claimed.

Anyways, we lost and I was devastated.... but de Trini thing who used to sit next tuh mih in Physics was kinda checking fuh mih, so I end up missing half de game because I was dong in de back feeling she up and dragging she tongue.

Still hurts tuh dis day.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »
Wow she must have dragged yuh tongue real hard,,,for it to be huttin up till this day... ;)

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
I had just moved up here...almost 11 mos to the day and was still adjusting to life in High School.  I remember I went to Tilden Ball room off Flatbush (and Beverly?) to watch it....and Mr. Gracia, my chemistry teacher from Colombia (of all places) was there in a red shirt...total coincidence he claimed.

Anyways, we lost and I was devastated.... but de Trini thing who used to sit next tuh mih in Physics was kinda checking fuh mih, so I end up missing half de game because I was dong in de back feeling she up and dragging she tongue.

Still hurts tuh dis day.
Eh BnS wha really hurt...the loss or the girl?...lol :beermug: :devil:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
Marlon morris did not play in that game, some thing conflicted with UWI and the game, he was attending UWI at the time. it was hudson charles who was missing from the list. i think marlon's absence was the reason for yorkies first cap.

i purposely went and ordered cable for that game.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:12:14 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »
Not only was meh boi Hudson missin is who was dey Elliot Alleyne what was Gally thinkin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
hmm.. 10 yrs old.

i remember coming over the lady young hills at 9am in traffic and could see the whole stadium in red from the lookout.

i remember baking in the sun with meh pops for hours leading up to the game in the yellow gated portion off to the side of the covered stands.

i remember sitting in the aisle with a sign saying T&T 4 USA 1, complete with goalscorers (Lewis 2, Jones 1, Latapy 1... Murray 1).

i remember the silence on Caligiuri's goal was so overwhelming that you could hear dem jocks on the field with their "yeah!" from all the way up in the stands.

I remember the tears after the game.

I remember, "T&T we love you still".

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 10:32:04 PM »

Still hurts tuh dis day.
Eh BnS wha really hurt...the loss or the girl?...lol :beermug: :devil:

Man...every time I think about dat I does get flashbacks.  De tragedy of it all juss etched in mih memory...

Pure sufferation...and she did look good too  :devil:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »
I remember right after game trying to pick up the fackin TV cable and all and trying to throw it through the 8th floor window onto the lawn, is meh woman who run and grap meh, beggin for the TV yes.  i ain't sleep good for 2 days after that.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »
Memories of the day

Woke up at the crack of dawn because I was so damn excited, had meh jusey press and ready to go

Went to 9am mass and the priest had a special prayer for the Strike Squad and the country as a whole and distinctly remember the goosebumps anticipating a victory

Had food prepared and drinks in a cooler ready for the long evening ahead.

Meh then girlfirend had dolls up and meh partner and he gyal reach so we could head down to the stadium about 12:00pm.

Reach down they and is jam session we get squeeze like pancake, meh pardner girl nearly pass out from the heat and we nearly fight with some other people.

The little cake and macaroni we had get squash up as we slide through the entrance pass the people wit bogus ticket

Match start and is action, we tense but we hopeful all the way anytime Latas, dwight, lewis get the ball ah bawling next ting yuh know Cal buss he hail mary shot and SUN IN MEH EYE let the ball sail into the net, SILENCE..... Could we lose this?

NAHHHH

Game now start we have US backpeddling  and defending right through as we marauding  the area ah partying again and singing louder shot after shot Meola holding one play in particular remained in my mind, Lewis get a ball down the wing beat inside the defender and square a vicious ball low and fast across the goal mouth any man toe poking the ball and it would be 1-1. That friggin Meola reflex stop that shit like a cat on a roof and I was in disbelief and the dread started to descend on me until the inevitable happened.

I could not talk for an hour and watching dateline next morning with Allison Hennesy when she was talking with the fellas, that is when real tears come down ah real feel that boy. Felt nothing like it until we had beat Bharain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:16 PM »
Caligiuri is ah good fella man... he had to go some ways towards making up for that and he did.  I thought this was the perfect way to segue from the heartache dat was the end of the Strike Squad era...and the dawning of the Soca Warriors crowning achievement.

Sports of The Times
In Flatbush, 'Ger-ma-ny, Ger-ma-ny'

November 17, 2005

By GEORGE VECSEY
''ONCE in a lifetime,'' Damian Snagg said. ''You only see this once.''

He was absolutely right. In Flatbush, Brooklyn, right there on the television yesterday, Trinidad and Tobago was trying to qualify for the World Cup. It had never happened before.

Trinidad and Tobago had come heartbreakingly close in 1989, however, when Paul Caligiuri of the United States put the boot to the two-island nation on the final day of qualifying.

Americans remember that day with a touch of sadness and guilt. Never have we seen such sportsmanship as we saw that November day in Port of Spain. The stunned fans, all of them wearing red, patted American journalists on our backs, congratulating us, as if we had anything to do with it.

Caligiuri remembers that day, not only for his booming 25-yard goal in the first half, but also for the way the Yanks were treated after the game.

''We arrived in two little vans and walked right through the crowd,'' Caligiuri recalled the other day. Then, after the 1-0 victory, the United States had to leave in the same two flimsy vans.

''I've played in Latin America and the Caribbean, where they throw rocks at you, the military police have to stop them from rocking your bus,'' Caligiuri continued. ''Never, ever, did you hear people congratulate you the way people did in Trinidad. The guys started giving them paraphernalia -- our shin guards, our headbands, anything. We appreciated it so much. Normally, you'd be ducking down in your seat.''

That was the start of a rising American era of soccer -- five straight World Cups as of next year. But 16 years was a long time for T&T to wait for another chance. All over the world, there are smaller nations trying to reach the World Cup just once, for a chance to play Brazil and Germany. These ethnic supporters mysteriously do not show up on television ratings, but they are all over the United States.

Half a dozen men from the islands, who play for the Synergism S.C. of Brooklyn, were fidgeting in Derek Marshall's apartment yesterday, watching good old Fox Soccer Channel. Either T&T, with a population of 1.1 million, or Bahrain, with a population of 727,000, would become the smallest nation to reach the World Cup. Because of a road goal in the 1-1 draw in Trinidad last Saturday, Bahrain would qualify with a scoreless tie at home yesterday, a huge advantage.

Marshall, a friend of a friend of a friend, had invited me to root with his countrymen yesterday. I don't mind admitting it: I came to root, wearing a red shirt. Before the game, I rang up Caligiuri, now the men's and women's coach at Cal Poly Pomona in California.

''I am rooting for them,'' Caligiuri said the other day. ''Every place I go, there's somebody from Trinidad. They look at me and say, 'I am Trinidadian.' I just want them to win so I can get off parole.''

I handed my cellphone to Marshall, Snagg and Earl Boyce. Caligiuri invited them to visit sometime. Their laughter seemed like a good omen. We ate spicy jerk chicken, rice and beans and drank beer. (Marshall had supplied Beck's, and I had brought some St. Pauli Girl -- two great minds thinking alike: German beer for good luck.)

Early in the first half, Chris Birchall, the English-born minor leaguer whose mother is from Trinidad and who had scored the 30-yard Caligiurian-style boomer last Saturday, was injured and had to leave the game. This was not a good omen.

T&T was clearly the better team -- but without a goal, its stutter steps and deft passes would be worthless. The score was 0-0 at halftime. Early in the second half, Dwight Yorke took a corner kick. Once a top striker in England, Yorke was facing the possibility of never playing in a World Cup, like George Weah of Liberia and Ryan Giggs of Wales and George Best of Northern Ireland.

Yorke whacked a high, curving kick, and Dennis Lawrence, all 6 feet 7 inches, rose above the sparse Bahrain defense and headed the goal between a defender's sluggish ankles. In Flatbush, pandemonium began.

Now began the scary part. Marshall, our host, kept telling the defenders, ''Get back, get back, that's what soccer is all about.'' We writhed as Bahrain stripped the ball from the goalkeeper for an apparent goal, only to have the referee nullify the play, ruling a foul had been committed against the goalkeeper. Marshall, who knows the game, thought the referee was wrong, but the call stood.

As the final whistle blew for a 1-0 victory, we all stood up and traded high-fives. I reached Paul Caligiuri's answering machine, and Brian George, Dave Dean and Henry Inniss and the others chanted ''Ger-ma-ny! Ger-ma-ny!'' into the phone. The sporting gesture of that crowd in Port of Spain in 1989, 16 long years ago, had been rewarded.

E-mail: geovec@nytimes.com

Source

Sports of The Times
Winning Fans Is Easier Than Winning Games June 6, 2006

By GEORGE VECSEY
Hamburg, Germany

THE smallest nation is the biggest fad of the 2006 World Cup, so far.

With a combined population of 1.3 million, the islands of Trinidad and Tobago are the smallest soccer entity to qualify for the final tournament since the World Cup began in 1930.

The world loved the Jamaican bobsled team that clattered and rumbled its way downhill in a few Winter Olympics. The Jamaicans were competitive and accomplished men who wanted to be taken seriously, but they did not exactly mind the publicity. The professional players from the two islands don't want to be patronized, but they don't mind the attention being paid to them.

They've been waiting a long time for this. Two current team members, Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy, were on the team that was stunned by the United States, 1-0, on Nov. 19, 1989, in Port of Spain, when all it needed was a tie to qualify for the World Cup in Italy.

Yorke, 34, who plays for Sydney FC in Australia, did not dress for a final tuneup yesterday, a 2-1 victory over FC St. Pauli, a third-division German team. The tiny Latapy, 37, who plays for Falkirk of Scotland, was in the lineup of mostly second-stringers, his braids flopping. The entire team was cheered as few visitors ever are for a road match in the highly partisan world of soccer.

St. Pauli fans, known for their mellow behavior and adoration of their own team, wore free red caps and T-shirts passed out by functionaries of eBay, the Internet giant, which has adopted the Trinidad and Tobago team for reasons that are surely more mercenary than sporting.

Leane Kenapf of the St. Pauli district was wearing red. How long has she been a supporter of T&T? "Since yesterday," she admitted with a smile, in English. The converts are falling in line, drawn in by the tiny band of fans who came here on tours from the Caribbean. There was even a band playing the form of calypso and reggae known as soca. (The team is called the Soca Warriors, which has nothing to do with the word soccer.) The soca sound was being blasted from loudspeakers at FC St. Pauli's enclave, near the bawdy Reeperbahn. T&T had found a home in Germany.

"I like Trinidad because it is a small nation," said Karsten Hoppe, a public relations man who lives near the club. "But we don't know how to support them because we don't know their songs. Usually, every football team has a song. We don't know theirs." The German fans improvised, not badly.

Now it is time for Trinidad and Tobago to have its 270 minutes of fame — three games, against Sweden, England and Paraguay, in the next two weeks in order to advance, a tall order for the mostly European-based players and their coach, Leo Beenhakker, 63, one of four Dutch head coaches in this World Cup.

Still, there is always the thrilling possibility of upsets in the first round of any World Cup. Who will forget Cameroon shocking the defending champion Argentina in the first match of 1990, or Senegal exposing the defending champion France in the first game in 2002? But those two African outsiders had a greater population and more soccer credentials than T&T, only the fourth Caribbean nation to reach the World Cup.

This year there are eight new nations looking to make their mark right away. Trinidad and Tobago is joined by Angola, Togo, Ivory Coast and Ghana, all from Africa, and three European squads competing since being spun off from former amalgamations — the Czech Republic, Ukraine and the already dissolving artificial nation of Serbia and Montenegro. But Trinidad and Tobago is the smallest, which makes it the most likely to stir up the affections of the fans.

"I don't think we'll get very far," said David Niles, an equity analyst from Diego Martin, Trinidad, who lives in Berlin and was at St. Pauli yesterday, wearing his own red jacket. "We'll fight, but it will be tough."

Niles, who said he attended Baruch College of the City University of New York, still shudders about the loss to the United States in 1989 — "our Sept. 11," he said, not being disrespectful but making the point that the loss, although only a soccer game, has haunted the nation ever since.

In their worst nightmares, Trinidadians still remember Paul Caligiuri of the United States thumping a left-footed volley from around 35 yards. American reporters who were there still remember how gracious the home fans were to visitors in the crowd afterward, which enabled us to root for T&T when it squeaked past Bahrain in a playoff last November.

The World Cup is a different level altogether. "We expected it to be hard, but this is even harder," said Stern John, a former standout in Major League Soccer who now plays for Coventry City in England. He was a child when Caligiuri put the boot to the Soca Warriors. Now they are finally in a World Cup — "an unbelievable achievement," John said. It's enough to make St. Pauli fans wear red in their own stadium, enough to turn the Soca Warriors into a cult.

E-mail: geovec@nytimes.com

Source
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:50:00 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 10:52:20 PM »
Not to detract from the 'nostalgia' of e-man's thread....but that should help salve the sting a little bit, while bridging the two historic occasions at the same time.

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:18 PM »
i think is high time allyuh put ah stop to this thread...i bawlin an crying here  :'( :'( :'( :'(

iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »
lock this thread...lock it now.... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »
I........ahmmmmm......steupes..

I cyah continue nah......

THANK GOD fuh November 16th 2005!

Dennis Lawrence..I LOVE YOU!!!!!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 11:52:08 PM »
I remember ah padnah wukkin bwee had tickets booked arready....
what really get to meh was me and meh ex was in ah Italian restaurant in de village and wid some of her friends..and ah was explainin to dem de significance of this game when the waiter came by and sat down and asked if ah was from trinidad....he said he was from Italy and he wanted us to beat the US so bad....man ah felt so proud...sniff...
lawd..ah go have to go thru therapy again....ah wonder if ah still have Doctor VAT number...ah know is sometin sometin sometin 1919

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 05:42:31 AM »
I........ahmmmmm......steupes..

I cyah continue nah......

THANK GOD fuh November 16th 2005!

Dennis Lawrence..I LOVE YOU!!!!!

do forget we white iron Birchie..... thank you Me Mum......

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 06:54:23 AM »
Click here to see 'The Shot'.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

1]; } ?>