April 28, 2024, 09:12:15 PM

Author Topic: Cupid aims to bounce back.  (Read 7789 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cupid aims to bounce back.
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »
Cupid aims to bounce back.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Team right back Kern Cupid admits that he had some flutters in him during the early moments of Trinidad and Tobago’s 3-0 loss to England on Sunday but is promising to repay the faith shown in him by Francisco Maturana with a comeback that can help this country in its World Cup qualifying endeavors. Cupid, of T&T Pro League club W Connection, came in for some words of concern from those who witnessed the encounter and was taken off at half time.

“To be honest… just the experience of playing against England was a great feeling and these are feelings you need to have more often. It must not come as a first time feeling again. I think it augers well for players like myself in the future as we had a young team and we now have that experience with us,” Cupid told TTFF Media.

“I personally was glad for it even though I did not put in the sort of performance I would have liked to on the day. For a game like that you’re obviously going to have butterflies in you and that was the case with me but as the game progressed I started to feel more comfortable but I lost concentration a couple of times. But there were also a few positives I could take from it and there are things I know I have to continue working on. Right now I’m just looking forward to the next opportunity I get to represent the country,” he added. Cupid maintains that T&T will continue to become a stronger unit but is anxious to play similar matches to the one versus the Three Lions.

“My preparations for the World Cup qualifier started since the first game I wore the national colours (against El Salvador in 2007) and the important one for me is that game against Bermuda just because of the fact that we cannot risk elimination which means that we have to go all out and secure the wins. I’m just hoping to repay the team with a solid showing once I get the chance. The important thing is for the team to play as a unit and play the kind of football the coach wants us to. We are working hard to achieve this and I think it’s only a matter of time before we start doing this. We will really like to continue playing against top opposition and I’m confident we will get it right, Cupid concluded.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:05:42 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cupid aims to bounce back
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »
Yeah he will after all is 2014 is d focus
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cupid aims to bounce back.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:14:16 AM »
See what happens when we big up men after one good performance and have them believing they are star boys. A little time in the Wilderness may just be what the doctor ordered.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:48:58 AM »
Cupid was awful against England (and that is an understatement) but bigger players than him had truly bad outings when coming up against superior opposition for the first time.  I question not only his ability but the midfield cover provided during the game on Sunday for continuing to expose Cupid.  He needed help, most wing backs coming up against the likes of Beckham and Gerrard need cover to reduce the space for such high calibre players ability to make great passes behind the defense.  Go back and look at the how Beenie man compensated for our defense.  We never had four at the back, it was most times 5 or 6, with Dwight or Birchall tracking back or always being back to close the space and put in the tackles.  Span or Avery were never alone!!!

Not impressed with Cupid and if he is selected to play for us again, hopefully he plays much better but at the same time the technical staff must respect the ability of the opposition and develop a game plan to limit the opposition's effectiveness noting what they have on the field.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:47:05 AM »
TNT V B'dos bad game. TNT V England horrible game but England doh count it was not a real friendly
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »
Cupid was poor but I would say the whole back line was at fault. Our back 4 needs to learn how to operate as a unit. Clearing out and covering together. How many off sides you see called on our opponents? Not much, and I think that is due to the lack of cohesiveness in our back line
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »
TNT V B'dos bad game.

:shameonyou:

people was worried about ferrier too and he did ok
We need some more searching at that position but Cupid with the right attitude will improve...not sure if he will end up starting but he will likely be in the mix.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
Give de yute ah break man...and ah chance to redeem himself.  Keep yuh head up Cupid.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
he needs to get bounced back to the reserves, he isnt ready for this level.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:48 PM »
If somebody just say we goal is 2014 I go b givin Cupid d support, long run whatever he needs but 4 2010 he eh ready

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
If somebody just say we goal is 2014 I go b givin Cupid d support, long run whatever he needs but 4 2010 he eh ready

Weary why you keep saying that??....Jackula say on CNMG de other night that WC 2010 is de focus....you eh get de memo or wha..... ::) ::) 

I hoping deep down inside dese youths prove me so, so wrong for 2010....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »
I c Angus Eve on tv6 2nite like he eh get d memo niether because he say d same ting

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »
I feel Cupid will become just as good as the legendary Brian Willliams......
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
LOL Funny thread...  Good attitude kid but you cant cut it... I've seen you play 4 games now and all you were disappointing.... We've got Cyd Gray son..when he's fit... Then Nigel Daniel can play RB as well as Spann(under Beenhakker for you waggonists who will question this) ... I'm 99% Telesford can play RB as well...  Maturana and co are just not observant enough yet...  in time though..in time

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »
SM d poui tree on it 2nd set ah flowers we eh have no time

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 04:30:37 AM »
He should bounce back on his W Connection team first.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 04:44:15 AM »
the man cant even make his club team in pro league but playing for Trinidad ??
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 05:26:20 AM »

Somebody make ah comment on another thread that because a player on de bench doh mean he doesn't have de skills to play or something to that effect.....my question is....dat is de same reason or similar reason for leaving out Birchall et al.  So dem find ah fella who cyar make the first team for a Pro league side have something more special than a fella who played in the WC?? oh yes ah forget, he eh match fit, he on de reserves...etc. etc.

But what de hell I know bout football...I'm a girl.... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 05:56:01 AM »
Somebody make ah comment on another thread that because a player on de bench doh mean he doesn't have de skills to play or something to that effect.....my question is....dat is de same reason or similar reason for leaving out Birchall et al.  So dem find ah fella who cyar make the first team for a Pro league side have something more special than a fella who played in the WC?? oh yes ah forget, he eh match fit, he on de reserves...etc. etc.
But what de hell I know bout football...I'm a girl.... ::)
when allya be frens wid de Cormeals all will be good........ability is secondary
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »
exactly !! the whole selection process stinks

and will still waiting for an answer ....in spanish or english

Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
We betta do like coundown on msnbc and say how long we waitin 4 a response like he does 2 wit d number of days since mission accomplish

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »
Ignore the arm chair coaches here who choose to refer to players as "shithounds" and work on your obvious talents and you will succeed, when you realise your talents most of the same people would have remained exactly where they are !!
Keep working hard  ! You had a bad game which you can use to learn from !

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »
Ignore the arm chair coaches here who choose to refer to players as "shithounds" and work on your obvious talents and you will succeed, when you realise your talents most of the same people would have remained exactly where they are !!
Keep working hard  ! You had a bad game which you can use to learn from !

well said.. :applause:

he had a bad game but all that in it.

what is important is how he uses this experience, the lessons he takes from it, and his ability to pick himself up and come back stronger.

Judging from his statements in the interview, I like his attitude and where his head is at. For all you know, he mightl look back on that game as the defining moment in his career. I will also not forget what he said in the pre-game interview and how much playing for the national team meant to him.

Fans are fickle, is to pay no attention to them. All this talk about he so young and benching for his club, what was Theo Walcott doing when he went to the World Cup?  The same ones that waste him down now is the same ones that will sing his name when the pendulum swing. Just ask one Mr. Cyd Gray.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »
I feel I have to step away from this site a little cause men here on games. I finally download that torrent file and look at the 1st half and I still looking to see the good first half we had. The manner in which the goals scored is testimony to the madness that is T&T National Team.

Cupid cannot bounce back. You have to have something to bounce back from. No defensive technique, no positional awareness, no hustle, no mental toughness. He knew he was having a bad game and instead of trying to fix it he just give a whatever effort, shown buy him just kicking the ball forward to the english team and appearing to not even being bothered. How is he a Pro League player? Honestly my girls team defends better than what our defenders did. No shape no compactness, not moving together. Wing back going out wide and the rest of the defense not sliding. They worried to much about men on the other side of the field. Not good enough.

Sorry but Cupid has no reason to be on a National team.  You cannot give someone a chance who does not deserve a chance. If that is the case I could stake a claim to be on the national team.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ironman

• Full Warrior
  • dont joke with u life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
Funny thing, men see Cupid play 1 game and  4 games and know he cant cut it!
The very Cyd Gray who is being called for, early in his international  stint and club career had with some horrible games, he was hailed as a dunce.
Marvin Andrews was hailed as a shithound since playing for San Juan Senior Comp and Carib FC.
Cupid is athletic,does not go to ground quickly,decent pace.Played well at lower intensity,not going very well on the international front,he needs to stick to it and stay positive.
He also have to remember that most of the detractors could not even make a national team in rounders,morale or skip rope!
He is in consideration and a couple people who know a thing or two about football thinks he is ok and can improve.stick at it meh boy.
tell them it was me

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
The very Cyd Gray who is being called for, early in his international  stint and club career had with some horrible games, he was hailed as a dunce.
Marvin Andrews was hailed as a shithound since playing for San Juan Senior Comp and Carib FC.
Cupid is athletic,does not go to ground quickly,decent pace.Played well at lower intensity,not going very well on the international front,he needs to stick to it and stay positive.
He also have to remember that most of the detractors could not even make a national team in rounders,morale or skip rope!
He is in consideration and a couple people who know a thing or two about football thinks he is ok and can improve.stick at it meh boy.

I don't appreciate your comments... I'd have you know that I was offered an opportunity to be first sub off de bench on the national Hopskotch team.  I had to turn it down in order to pursue my dream of ketching ass in de US instead.

...but kicks aside you are right, Cupid have no reason to pay attention (with very little exception) to any criticism that comes his way from this forum, I'm sure is more that bobol and favoritism why he's thought of so highly in local football.  Me eh trying to pretend to be some great analytical mind when it comes to football but the little I've seen of the yute I like the effort he gives.  I like his attitude as well, he seems grounded with a good head on his shoulders (which probably applies quite a few fellas in the pool too, I know) and for that reason alone I want to see him do well.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »
I see all 4 games the youth play in.

He have something. I ent go say he shitty, he control not bad, he could get past men if he want to and he was composed.

He small and a bit slow. His height also ent helping his cause.

He will get better no doubt, but he ent ready for WC ball. Let him slug it out a bit in the PFL and his national team age group and move from there.

But the thing is once a coach like yuh you will get minutes and opportunities will come. You have to take them.

Also too once yuh shitty you will eventually be found out, the bag of magic dust does only last for so long.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »

I don't appreciate your comments... I'd have you know that I was offered an opportunity to be first sub off de bench on the national Hopskotch team.  I had to turn it down in order to pursue my dream of ketching ass in de US instead.

...but kicks aside you are right, Cupid have no reason to pay attention (with very little exception) to any criticism that comes his way from this forum, I'm sure is more that bobol and favoritism why he's thought of so highly in local football.  Me eh trying to pretend to be some great analytical mind when it comes to football but the little I've seen of the yute I like the effort he gives.  I like his attitude as well, he seems grounded with a good head on his shoulders (which probably applies quite a few fellas in the pool too, I know) and for that reason alone I want to see him do well.

That's understandable, wanting to see him do well, but at the expense of the National team? Should not the National team be the pinnacle of a player's aspiration? How can we have players who the average guys in the community looking at and saying  "man I better than he". When was the last time you hear a youth man say I want to be like so and so on the national team?

Track and Field team  for eg. if you don't make the qualification time then you don't make the national team. Simple. You have to prove that you can compete. Not get close make the team and hope you get better.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »
That's understandable, wanting to see him do well, but at the expense of the National team? Should not the National team be the pinnacle of a player's aspiration? How can we have players who the average guys in the community looking at and saying  "man I better than he". When was the last time you hear a youth man say I want to be like so and so on the national team?

Track and Field team  for eg. if you don't make the qualification time then you don't make the national team. Simple. You have to prove that you can compete. Not get close make the team and hope you get better.

Elan I not knocking you or your opinion.  I understand that most (and not only here on this website) are disparaging the man's game last Sunday...and that's fine, nobody saying he had a great game.  However, as I posted elsewhere last week I think some are going overboard in their criticism and making it personal against de youth.  Saying he had a shitty game is one thing...saying de yute is ah 'shithound' is another thing.  And what funny to me is that if all deez pundits so much better what keeping dem from taking he spot...bad mind from Anton?  Look on this very site...on ah he biggest critics is Weary.  Nutten against Weary...but how much ball she kick?  Yuh doh have to kick ball to voice ah complaint or offer criticism but the way some campaigning yuh swear they actually know what they talking about...which they don't otherwise they'd be sharing they talents with more than just an uninterested message board.

The men who business it is to assess talent in Trinidad thinks he merits inclusion in the pool of defenders, if there are more capable players who can realistically be part of the SA 2010 campaign then I'm sure they'll rise above him, you can't keep talent down for too long.  Conversely you can't fake talent for too long either, as Touches say "the bag of magic dust does only last for so long".

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »
he should bounce back first for Connection before TnT.

1]; } ?>