March 28, 2024, 04:23:08 PM

Author Topic: Ethnocentrism...good or bad  (Read 4745 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Ethnocentrism...good or bad
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
There are many groups within TnT that bear upon how we see, act or respond to others.

1) Blacks
2) Indian
3) White (can we list all people with a background from continential europe and north america)
3) Chinese
4) The rest (middle Eastern and/or other parts of the globe)

Then we have people who have been influenced by the English, Spanish and French who are from a different race.

At the best of time all these forces come together to build a Rich Cosmopolitan society and on the flip side when times are not so good we may use these influences for not so good purposes.

What allya think?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Ethnocentrism...good or bad
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »
imho, there are a few professions that use these ethnic categories: demographers, marketing, public policy researchers, etc. . my perception is that responsible use of these categories is correlated with professionalism.

then there are a set of amateurs that actually like to think in these terms. for the most part, they the ones that need to swing round and try a different approach.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:30:58 AM »
I hope this thread eh degenerate..i think allyuh opening ah hornets nest.

that said no one from trinidad(born there-who  didnt come one a boat) can be accused of enthocentrism since all trini are the same enthicity. The word ethnic is usually used in the worng context.
Trinis generically share the same heritage, culture, mores, even lingustic traits etc. that defines your ehtinicty.
yes ancestry has plays a part but how many of allyuh could say allyuh totally one or the other (race). thus allyuh have to identify with trinidad.

BTW there is no way ethinocenticism could be good. ask why de fuk dem parties like to use race and pseudo  traditions to split the country during election time. But i guess as a people we does allow that to happen.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:26:01 AM »
WC using multisyllable words I have to look up.

One Definition of  Ethnocentrism: regarding one's own culture as being superior to others and judging other cultures from the perspective of your own culture

This is exactly why multiculturalism cannot work.  Canada and Australia have tried this experiment.  Alll it seem to have produced are groups of cultures that appear to co-exist but in actuality, the groups are all ethnocentric.

Each group for itself under a facade of co-existence.

So i conclude that it is not good.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:27:39 AM by pecan »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:43:07 AM »
WC using multisyllable words I have to look up.
One Definition of  Ethnocentrism: regarding one's own culture as being superior to others and judging other cultures from the perspective of your own culture
This is exactly why multiculturalism cannot work.  Canada and Australia have tried this experiment.  All it seem to have produced are groups of cultures that appear to co-exist but in actuality, the groups are all ethnocentric.
Each group for itself under a facade of co-existence.
So i conclude that it is not good.
when I started this thread it was to do more with helping some people become more aware of why others may act, or use certain words in conversation or communication.

But Pecan, you bring up a very good point about Multiculturalism in Canada.
I also agree with you that it will fail miserably in Canada........in the long run, as it seems to be a "buzz" word now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:14:58 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 09:58:13 AM »
It here 2 stay once have u have superiority issues I go b always betta than u and indentureship go b worst than slavery etc etc etc
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
At this time inthe country's history the ethnic divide is ruining a deep sense of national culture- this is where the Jamaicans have an edge

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:26:21 AM »
At this time inthe country's history the ethnic divide is ruining a deep sense of national culture- this is where the Jamaicans have an edge

You will always get more cohesiveness in a country where one ethnic group dominates. JA is a predominantly Afro society. Yes, there are other ethnic groups in JA that play An influential role. But the cultural norms leans more on a Afro-Caribbean society. Unlike TT and Guy., the populations are most evenly splits. Therefore we will always have a diversion of opinions and  less "cohesiveness". And the split is widening because one group is at at an economic "disadvantage".

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »

You will always get more cohesiveness in a country where one ethnic group dominates. JA is a predominantly Afro society. Yes, there are other ethnic groups in JA that play An influential role. But the cultural norms leans more on a Afro-Caribbean society. Unlike TT and Guy., the populations are most evenly splits. Therefore we will always have a diversion of opinions and  less "cohesiveness". And the split is widening because one group is at at an economic "disadvantage".

should that read "visible"? Countryside Trinidad and Tobago tells a different picture.. not just the hills, the waterless river and not so scenic waterfront tells all.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »
And the split is widening because one group is at at an economic "disadvantage".

if you think Trinidad only exists North of the Churchill Roosevelt highway, then that opinion makes sense. But if you consider the entire country, there's a large percentage of economically depressed persons from both of our primary ethnic groups.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
And the split is widening because one group is at at an economic "disadvantage".

if you think Trinidad only exists North of the Churchill Roosevelt highway, then that opinion makes sense. But if you consider the entire country, there's a large percentage of economically depressed persons from both of our primary ethnic groups.

I am talking about the entire country! No south of the Caroni analogy here! the entire country.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:23:49 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>