March 28, 2024, 01:05:28 PM

Author Topic: lil swimmers  (Read 164773 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: lil swimmers
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »
Fellas I am not a big fan of swimming. How would allyuh assess T&T Carifta performance so far? I know Bahamas and Barbados always had good Caribbean swimmers.
for one thing TT standards are set based on previous finals 5th place finish. Therefore TT only carry possible guaranteed finalist and medalist. The other Islands seem to go with the games standards.
      Thus in many events we had no swimmers across all age groups, cause of our hard standards.but sure nuff, Bahamas and Barbados picking up lil points here and there even where they are weak. TT, no points. I wouldn't say we could win, but for sure with 2 points here, a point there we could mount a better challenge..
What most disappointed me was the lack of supporters.. I think the whole of Bermuda and Guadloupe/Martinique was there. Bahamas was strong too, and Barbados was home. There  were a few high ranking govt officials from those countries in the crowd as announced and that I recognized from last meet in Jamaica..they were blowing conch (well mosly the Loupians) and beat drum, and shaking cowbells in the crowd like everybody else.. well everybody except Trini supporters.. we had maybe 20 ppl. 3 families of 3, 2 families  of 2, and bout 7 or less mothers..the only time yuh could hear a trini something is when we get a gold, seemed rare..drowning we out..Go Jahmia, Go Jabari..was sounding like squeak..meanwhile them other supporters even drowing out the DJay.
A few Barbados ppl around us like they bring they family for ah outing, dem didn't know they had a whole section yet..they don't know nothing about swimming, asking "wha duor struke call main" - ah say freestyle - and "we'ave sumbuddy inna dis here?" - ah say yes almost every other heat ..dem jump up, "Go Borbaydus, Go".. finally ah learn to tell dem no..the man wife say (yuh kno dem smarter)," but daiz a yela cap", ah say yes, that is SVI, they wearing the same color...Mammy say God go punish meh. How the Hell the whole ah Bermuda,Martinique, who had different colour matching Tshirts every day, could organize deyself and come, and according to the TT parents, they say ppl saying it to expensive..them other small islands obviously richer than we, even if we have more money than them...cause all ah dem deh...
One of the long term TT parents say we fall off bad, she say we used to have a separate taxi, just for we instruments..
   I ask a older Bahamian lady, how her grand doing..she say, she doh have nobody here, she's been coming for 15 years now to support the kids..is like is she duty now..  So what is we problem ? We, that is what.

add: I was told many of the top older swimmers and quite a few younger especially Bahamas , Jamaica, Aruba are US based - mainly Florida. One exceptional swimmer from Bahamas - local based - Joanna Evans, broke a few of the Carifta distance records and well as participated in a couple relay records has verbally committed to Texas 2015. She was a Bronze medalist at youth Olympics last year.
http://swimswam.com/texas-gets-verbal-youth-olympic-games-bronze-medalist-joanna-evans/
So to the top Suriname boys. etc.
We had Jabari (commited to NC state) and Tyla Martin (commited to Florida), my boys and 2 girls 1, 11-12 and 1 13-14 (US Based).
I was also made known that the current administrative body not keen on foreign swimmers, as most of their kids are local based..but this may have been more opinion than fact. Except it was opined by one of the long term Carifta swimmers who is foreign. They also said, many of our top young swimmers who are now foreign, and some who have always been foreign, (names called) are totally disenchanted with the support and communication and rather not return... sounded familiar. I just listened, cause I don't know. Yet the lack of communication and organization makes one wonder..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:30:44 PM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »
Thanks for that Max. Congrats to your kids.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 17, 2015, 06:37:24 AM »
All true. Further to that.. the divisiveness in aquatics has brought our national team to a state of being made up of several factions. Within swimming it is not uncommon for someone to feel a sense of pride in seeing a rival coach's athlete fail. It is that bad! This comes from the top gentlemen, so if this is the sentiment at the head, you can imagine what exists below.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
Division 1 Team champs this weekend. More competition for MzTing & Angel, than Lilman. 5 events each. Our Club has 182 kids going.
I'm driving Angel for Saturday as he has a school project. (only 2 3/4 hrs, the car know the way)
http://www.rougeetornatation.com/defi-ul-50m.ws

psyche sheet
http://gfol1.rougeetornatation.com/download/LISTE_INSCRIPTIONS_PAR_EPREUVES_ws1031504808.pdf
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:34:07 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 29, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
Had a small chat with Pierre Lafontaine at team champs. He coached Gatineu.
http://swimswam.com/pierre-lafontaine-stepping-head-cis/
He was in TT for a YMCA swim camp. Loved it. Intimated that he met Brent Sancho as he came by one of the days. He said he was quite impressed by Sancho, found him to be very personable. They discussed total revamp of sports programs, inclusive of and especially swimming. He said Sanch has invited back in a consultant capacity. Pierre is a swimmer's politician, and a innovative leader. His experience would be a good asset. He also said he met the mcCleods and Coach Daddy Mcleod previously (oh oh), at trials. Interesting times ahead if he is involved, definitely a step for the better. Like any politician, he not into friend thing, but is everybody friend. Like any swim coach, he into getting the job done in fastest time possible. I hope Sanch is able to follow up. This guy can make TT swimming a public event , or so I hear. I haven't followed his exploits in detail.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:20:27 PM by maxg »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 05, 2015, 08:20:12 AM »
Met Mr Lafontaine on two occasions. In 2010 in Maui and in 2012 in London. He was CEO of Canadian Swimming at the time. His strengths are definitely from a programme development standpoint, which suits TnT's needs right now.

TnT Aquatics is in need of honesty right now. There needs to be a reality check placed on all involved so that proper solutions can be developed. Throwing money at a problem will only mask the issue of placing persons in positions in which they cannot properly function due to lack of knowledge, willingness, or togetherness.

Healing has to happen too. Too many acts of terror on coaches, clubs and swimmers due to falling out of favour with the boys club in ASATT. "Doh go by dat coach, he ehn good!" "She does mash up swimmers!"
No one willing to address the elephant in the room, which is that we as a country are not doing good and are mashing up swimmers, all at varying rates for various reasons.

If we take time out to do some critical analysis, and plan accordingly, only then the situation will ease and change can take effect.

But then, our sport is not unique, and no where near as popular as others, so who are we to expect that level of care?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
Only Lilman & MzTing going this one.. Angel taking a break

http://www.eswim.ca/agipsych.pdf

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »
Mzting cancel the meet and leaving the club  :'(

lilman not happy with his times.. we keep telling him it will come, he has room for improvement..He didn't taper for this meet, don't worry.but "is Lilman".  He feeling this plateau going to long.. ketchin hell to do best times from last year...doh he pulled one of in 50 free (2nd pl), normally left for Angel.
His coach not at this meet, and mammy said the interim coach apparently said something to piss him off..Mammy had to give a long talk, and read him the riot act.. this is the same coach who kept riding him about his lost passport many years ago..He told his mom "ah feel to cuff him down".
  :nailbiting: :notlistening: :thumbsdown:

I will have to read him the REAL riot act

3 more finals today, barely made 100 free
http://www.eswim.ca/realtime/index.htm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:45:26 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 23, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »
Coupe Quebec
http://www.ddoswim.com/e/news.asp?ID=981

no swimming issues surfacing.

post swim: we're back to lack of confidence issues again..the worry of Last year long course season rears it head. I ask, what worrying will do, except ensure it happens.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:00:30 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
last Provincial meet before Nationals A few top swimmers at University games
http://www.ddoswim.com/e/news.asp?ID=986

it's like last test before finals  :-\  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:48:29 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 11, 2015, 01:42:12 AM »
Lilman broke Dylan Carter 15-17 LC record of 2.09:44, with 2:08.82. Still lower to go, as with TT standards he's 15. Hopefully National record : 2.07.01   next .
Long way off from Provincial and Canadian records doh. Still lots of work ahead.
Records provinciaux  15 - 17 2:02.35
Records canadiens 15 - 17 1:59.31
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:48:12 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 11, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Lilman broke Dylan Carter 15-17 LC record of 2.09:44, with 2:08.82. Still lower to go, as with TT standards he's 15. Hopefully National record : 2.07.01   next .
Long way off from Provincial and Canadian records doh. Still lots of work ahead.

:applause:

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 11, 2015, 06:05:12 PM »
Well done!!! Congrats Max, please relay my sentiments.

Let me know if you sent the link already to the admin assistant.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
Well done!!! Congrats Max, please relay my sentiments.

Let me know if you sent the link already to the admin assistant.
thanks Swima.. Lilman still not happy, then he see Panam games heats times. Some concern the women would "buss meh tail". He overthinking to much.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
tears come to meh eyes.. Car in garage..Boys just leave together to walk to practice..meh two big, young men. Really great guys, proud of their achievements, characters, and personalities, especially in public. People always telling me how nice and respectful they are, you too, MzTing...Great job mammy. Seeing them leave for the walk together, like good friends... :)
Next meet the big one, Age group Nationals, start next week. Lilman doing 9 events, Angel doing 4.
Whatever results, love allyuh still. I have been lucky with all my kids. To Quote my grand daughter. Thank you Jesus..Thank you Jesus..thank you Jesus

http://www.ddoswim.com/e/news.asp?ID=990

Lilman got Bronze in 100 fly 16 yr olds (15 in Carifta)with a pb of 56.83 time..finally got under 57.
Angel did not make final .was 21st with a slightly disappointing time of 59.94, slowest time of the season. Hoping he's not to down.  :(We driving down in the morning for 100 free prelims.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:15:04 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
not happy at all.. start questioning the whole swim project
 " I trained all year, twice a day, 6 days a week, to drop .20 seconds ? and everybody else dropping 4 plus seconds."

We trying to keep them up, but with some measure of understanding. All mammy pschy
Snr Nationals start tomorrow. Angel doing 3, Lilman doing 2 events. Best ranking is Angel 50 fly (non-Oly event) 20th. Lilman best is 42 nd in 200 fly. Providing they do best times. The sh*t just got real over the last year. I said, only the strong survive, what you gonna do ? what are you gonna do ? The going just got tough. The Goin get going
http://www.ddoswim.com/e/news.asp?ID=991

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:56:45 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 18, 2015, 07:01:50 AM »
Forgot to mention, Lilman took the 15-17 200 fly time lower 2:07.99, although only placing 30th at Canadian Nationals. Angel best placing was 34th. Best times continue to avoid him.
 Season was done fore 3 weeks. MzTing off to US University, Angel starting jnr College, Lilman last year of high school. Had summer fun pool semi-finals. MZting made finals, but will be scratching due to travelling this week. The boys didn't choose events, so the ppl just fit them in, Angel end up just getting in Final in back and Consolation in breast He should have done fly & free. Lilman in Final in free and fly. One of their club coaches going in ranked #1, I wondering why he gave it up last year. I guess sometimes life gets in the way.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2015, 06:59:22 PM »
MzTing started her US College experience last Friday..by today she ready to come home..She say no Roti, No Curry, no Pelau , no stew chicken, no lilman or Angel, no mammy or Daddy..was a nice weekend, but she ready to go McGill now.   poor thing..

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
herte we go 22 hrs a week training..and they going hard already. if nobody break they sure will make

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »
Angel talking about giving up again. ..and although I understand, it's hard for me to accept.. He more focused on his academics, and frustrated by the intense training schedule and following fatigue when time to do school work..he does 90 + %. He saying he don't need swimming, besides not enjoying it.. but damn, you're so good at it, without the commitment. He will have a last discussion with coach. Maybe if he gives it up for a little bit, he will miss and go back..but he gonna have to do something..i would register him in Indoor football.but suppose he get hurt and then can't go back..or suppose he enjoy that so much, he don't even consider going back.. I know one thing, no friggin Video game as replacement..Mammy saying he have to do it for him, not for us...I want to know, what wrong with doing it for us too ?

add: he stop
add: our & TT loss. dammit..Will let him kick back lilbit, and then start working on him..if he doesn't go back within the year..think that will be the end of that...oh well
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:44:07 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 13, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »
ah drop ah Hint that 2 of his competitors & buddies commit to US universities fall 2016r. One to Georgia, one to Harvard. He started to ponder, then shrug it off.
http://swimswam.com/junior-world-champion-javier-acevedo-commits-to-georgia/

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Lilman digging horrors with the coach decision to have the team untapered , unshaven and training suit only for the 2 nd major meet in a row. "Is like he want us get used to licks, dad".. Guy, making finals and placing 3 rd is NOT licks, chill, he preparing for Olympic trials. 
He done with me, he gone by mammy.."Mammy, is like he want...,.etc..somebody should talk to him, or I will" 
Mammy : yuh better hush
Wrong tree Lilman, mammy doh take fight she cyah win, dat is man ting 😜

Meanwhile...sometimes is good to be a big fish in a little pond

http://www.calvulcans.com/news/2015/10/27/SWIM_1027151240.aspx

add: no best times for lilman but all finals and quite a few medals. Nothing spectacular.except the 17 year old Acevado , who competes against Angel, breaking 2 Canadian AG records. He asked lilman for Angel. Guess he wanted to put a lil friendly licking on him..
..my bad..had the wrong link up..fixed
https://www.swimming.ca/en/meet/18119/

open sprint at samak on 21st. Nov. Lilman did 5 events day 1
http://www.swimrankings.net/services/CalendarFile/14160/live/index.html#
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:09:29 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 28, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Ontario Junior International 2015 - 2015-12-04 to 2015-12-06
Psych sheet
http://www.swimontario.com/uploads/Performance%20Programs/Performance/OJI/2015/2015_oji_psych_sheet_2015_11.pdf

Lilman might have to put down best times to squeak into finals.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:21:23 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
Was today informed by Swima that lilman broke the TT Jnr & snr 200 fly TT record. 2.02:60. He wasn't overly excited. Wasn't happy placing 6th in the race. Think that record have lower to go, especially as he still considered 15 by TT standings. Yet even in his swim, we can see room for improvement. I so hope he's enjoying this. Is like every achievement not good enuff..unless he win.
http://swimontario.com/liveresults/

meanwhile mammy pull a lil sneaky, but telling the coach go ahead and put Angel in a few events in our home meet. 50 free, fly and 100 fly. He protest...overruled

http://www.natationpointe-claire.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Pysch_sheets_AAA_Dec71.pdf
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:31:48 PM by maxg »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »
Emil Goin will be the first Trinidadian under two minutes in the 200 butterfly. You heard it here first!

Congrats maxg and family.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
http://splash.pointe-claire.ca:8082/P2/index.html

add: add: Picked up a couple medals. Highlight of the meet. The Boys 15-17 $ X 100 SC Medley relay team with Lilman, Angel and 2 others smashed the Provincial record of 3.53.22, doing 3.47.99.
They were not set to swim together, but Lilman convinced the Head coach that this combination could do it. Coach, had other plans but said, ok, go for it. I think Lilman confidence is back. However, he was disappointed in his backstroke swim, in which he placed 4th, but not with the placing as much as was hoping to do a faster time. He feels he's not practicing it enuff. Wants to bring it up with the coach. Mammy, trying to tell him be patient. They going at it since Sunday.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:46:18 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 14, 2016, 12:25:26 AM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:27:27 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
Lilman saying he think he will miss Carifta to only do Canadian Olympic trials the following week. Believes improper tapering and preparation would reflect in bad performances if he does both...especially with the intensity and amount of events at Carifta - he was disappointed with his times at the meet last year.  He actually said he felt embarrassed. and so far he hasn't dropped much time as he hoped, so I think he's worried he will let TT down..and or afraid of criticism - sometimes I think he reads the site.
I expressed that I think the Carifta is more beneficial and important at this time, especially to be seen by the TT coaches and Admin. He countered that the TT coaches didn't and don't know him and he feels basically on his own, so can't even be considered a proper development meet for himself. I hit back with, and they will never get to know you if you don't go.
In addition it would be Angel last year for Carifta..but if you both don't go, it won't be feasible or financially feasible to only send one.

After that he told mammy, he would consider going, if one of our club coaches can accompany them. We can't afford that. Last year his coach was willing to have the club send a coach, but was cancelled when told, coaches weren't allowed on deck.. this year, he won't go for that, as for him Olympic trials more important.
Hmmm.not looking to good.  Trying to work it, and them both out.. Angel as usual though enjoyed the meet and the TT camaraderie, it's swimming, don't care either way. He don't get to stressed for it.his academics more important to him.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 19, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »
Lilman saying he think he will miss Carifta to only do Canadian Olympic trials the following week. Believes improper tapering and preparation would reflect in bad performances if he does both...especially with the intensity and amount of events at Carifta - he was disappointed with his times at the meet last year.  He actually said he felt embarrassed. and so far he hasn't dropped much time as he hoped, so I think he's worried he will let TT down..and or afraid of criticism - sometimes I think he reads the site.
I expressed that I think the Carifta is more beneficial and important at this time, especially to be seen by the TT coaches and Admin. He countered that the TT coaches didn't and don't know him and he feels basically on his own, so can't even be considered a proper development meet for himself. I hit back with, and they will never get to know you if you don't go.
In addition it would be Angel last year for Carifta..but if you both don't go, it won't be feasible or financially feasible to only send one.

After that he told mammy, he would consider going, if one of our club coaches can accompany them. We can't afford that. Last year his coach was willing to have the club send a coach, but was cancelled when told, coaches weren't allowed on deck.. this year, he won't go for that, as for him Olympic trials more important.
Hmmm.not looking to good.  Trying to work it, and them both out.. Angel as usual though enjoyed the meet and the TT camaraderie, it's swimming, don't care either way. He don't get to stressed for it.his academics more important to him.
That made me laugh :rotfl: The Trini criticism isn't easy at all.
I don't know much about swimming but can a T&T coach work with them at Carifta? Or is the sport too personalized for that?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems working with different coaches could undo another coach years of tweaking. I'm npt sure on the short term at say one meet. However, any coach can hardly suggest where to go or what should be done, without knowing where the athlete/team is coming from.

1]; } ?>