March 28, 2024, 05:45:23 PM

Author Topic: Anton Corneal Thread  (Read 54342 times)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Re: Anton Corneal post game comments
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »
This from a man who wonders if we would be better off without Jack Warner.

Hush your ass.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
for me, yuh summation is well done, and clearly expressed. (ah seriously think writing is yuh forte) even if you may not be a professional journalist, though you should definately consider it at some point...

So write ah lil regular article for WN nah. I for one will appreciate it, even if yuh do it your way, even if yuh would never please everybody..go brave man

I might do ah li'l something fuh Warrior Nation (in addition to helping behind the scenes), definitely doh mind doing it... years ago I made a living by writing/editing that was a good experience.  Right now time is my enemy though, but given some ideas for articles I doh mind taking ah stab.

I like tuh beat up Fuentes... but ah think this is more cause fuh fatigue than real licks.

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »
Look RANCID A$$ or NASTY BAMSEE, whateva scent yuh mudda tell yuh yuh does smell like, its obvious u lookin for attention so do everyone a favour and go stick u head up your a$$, cuz like is only you cyah smell d shit eminating from yuh both of yuh orifice... I doh play games with smelly little boys.... If dats ur cup of tea well... so be it..

Laterz eh Nasty Bamsee,

Have a good night eh Nast Bamsee,

Ill try to pronunciate next time eh Nasty Bamsee...
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Anton Corneal Thread
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »
Has Anton Corneal done that badly?

He has been placed on a fast track by the TTFF for sure and endures a lot of criticism....rightly so...especially for some of the decisions that have been taken.  However, a lot of Anton's criticism comes from the fact of who his father is.  It must not be easy being the son of Alvin Corneal.

But what has Anton done?

In 3 years, I believe Anton Corneal has gotten more support than any other coach In T&T football history.  That includes Bertille St Clair.  Certainly when you compare the minimalist support that the likes of Stuart Charles, Jamal Shabazz, Hannibal Najjar, Rene Simoes, etc got during their brief tenures to what Anton enjoys, there really is no comparison.

Anton was appointed as an assistant coach to Beenie in 2005 after initially serving a brief apprentiship coaching our U 17's and U 20's.

Under his charge, our U 20's progressed to the final round of CONCACAF Qualiying in Carson California

Our U 17's qualified for an historic first ever WC appearance

Our current U 17's have qualified for the final round of CONCACAF Qualifing for the U 17 World Cup in Nigeria (even though Ross Russell is the coach, I believe Anton is overall in charge)

Our U 23's however failed miserably in Olympic qualifying falling at the first hurdle.

Not sure if he's overall in charge of the Women's Program as well but our ladies at both senior and junior levels have shown improvements.

While Maturana is the figurehead coach, it is largely believed the one pulling the strings is Anton's dad Alvin, with Anton being the "field general".  Our Men's Senior team, while having mediocre performances, have had decent results.

Never in our football history that I can remember, not even during the days of the Strike Squad when the team literally ate, slept, & lived together for the entire Hex, do I remember such a spate of international friendlies in preparation for any torunament.

The only one that would better it in terms of QUALITY would be our preparation for the World Cup in Germany when we played Iceland, Wales, Slovakia & Czech Republic.  But in terms of QUANTITY and FREQUENCY, this is the most I have seen.

Despite all the criticism, and I have been one of the most outspoken, Anton hasn't done too badly given his record and given his relative lack of experience.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:35:03 AM by Flex »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anton Corneal done that badly?
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
You maybe right ...but I  still think he suck...give Stuart Charles a chance...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »
No he has done very well and as I said dem yutes lookin betta than d seniors. If dey did just say we 4gettin 2010 and we focusin on 2014 I would b happy wit that.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »
IF BETTER CAN'T BE DONE....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

truetrini

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
well he eh do nutten if Alvin is de real coach, so this thread null and void, maybe it should be titled...Has Alvin done that badly?  ::)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »
He has been placed on a fast track by the TTFF for sure and endures a lot of criticism....rightly so...especially for some of the decisions that have been taken.  However, a lot of Anton's criticism comes from the fact of who his father is.  It must not be easy being the son of Alvin Corneal.

But what has Anton done?

In 3 years, I believe Anton Corneal has gotten more support than any other coach In T&T football history.  That includes Bertille St Clair.  Certainly when you compare the minimalist support that the likes of Stuart Charles, Jamal Shabazz, Hannibal Najjar, Rene Simoes, etc got during their brief tenures to what Anton enjoys, there really is no comparison.

Anton was appointed as an assistant coach to Beenie in 2005 after initially serving a brief apprentiship coaching our U 17's and U 20's.

Under his charge, our U 20's progressed to the final round of CONCACAF Qualiying in Carson California

Our U 17's qualified for an historic first ever WC appearance

Our current U 17's have qualified for the final round of CONCACAF Qualifing for the U 17 World Cup in Nigeria (even though Ross Russell is the coach, I believe Anton is overall in charge)

Our U 23's however failed miserably in Olympic qualifying falling at the first hurdle.

Not sure if he's overall in charge of the Women's Program as well but our ladies at both senior and junior levels have shown improvements.
While Maturana is the figurehead coach, it is largely believed the one pulling the strings is Anton's dad Alvin, with Anton being the "field general".  Our Men's Senior team, while having mediocre performances, have had decent results.

Never in our football history that I can remember, not even during the days of the Strike Squad when the team literally ate, slept, & lived together for the entire Hex, do I remember such a spate of international friendlies in preparation for any torunament.

The only one that would better it in terms of QUALITY would be our preparation for the World Cup in Germany when we played Iceland, Wales, Slovakia & Czech Republic.  But in terms of QUANTITY and FREQUENCY, this is the most I have seen.

Despite all the criticism, and I have been one of the most outspoken, Anton hasn't done too badly given his record and given his relative lack of experience.

I eh sure about that nah. I looking for this improvement. I don't believe he has any direct impact on the women though.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »
Yes
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 01:03:11 PM »
well he eh do nutten if Alvin is de real coach, so this thread null and void, maybe it should be titled...Has Alvin done that badly?  ::)

Yeah...u right.  As usual.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »
I have to truthful and say no. this tournament has me thinking two things about Anto. 1) If he is to continue as a national coach he must remain as the U15/U17 coach for at least another 5 yrs. 2) He is a quick learner. Wim has taught him well.3) He must not have a senior national team for at least 6 yrs from now so that he would be working with the charges he brought through the ranks since the present crop of national palyers may not have a whole lot of respect for him and that could to alvin's blacklisting of players. And breds Alvin's blacklisting is about 10 times worst than JW's.

Lets wait and see if he can take this team to a WC.

truetrini

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

Yeah...u right.  As usual.

breds is you who say that it is widely believed that alvin pulling de strings..if so den is he dat should be judged, no need to get yuh woolies in ah tight old bunch..as usual

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »
he's done very well at Under 17 level

he's taken an Under 17 team to the WC and has set himself up to do it a second time. Not as important, but significant nonethless, under Anton, our under 17s have beaten or biggest regional rival 3 times out of 3..once in Jamaica to qualify for the WC and once to knock them out of the final round of qualifying. Our senior team cyah beat JA senior team in WCQ for nutten. All de shite Dunga doing with Brazi..all is forgiven when they res' it on Argentina.

All the talk about how well supported he is..or who is the real brains behind the operation is ole talk. look at the best coaches on the planet...more often than not, they get tons of support (at least in the earlies) and the best surround themselves with people who are often considered more knolwdgeable, brilliant or tactically astute than they are. It ain't a one man show..so give props to the man who use whatever skills and connections he have to get him in the thick of the action. and to add to that, the man look like he does actually work hard and not just sitting on his thumbs.

not saying theren't aren't better or more deserving..i have no idea. but get real. we are T&T and our under 17s do not have an illustrious history. Anton on the verge of back to back WC qualifications. IN any case, the one qualification was no small feat.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »
I have to truthful and say no.

Lets wait and see if he can take this team to a WC.

Same here. He surprise me with this team. I knew they were good but he and Russel have them performing well above expectations. Props to TFF for having them and the girls U-15 prepared for thieir tournaments.

Only thing  its not entirely up to the coaches to  at this stage. This team MUST get even more support than the last U-17 or they will be run over if they qualify from CONCACAF.  Jack, Camps et al have to continue supplying Anton with the resourceshe needs to at least win one game at WC.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline handsanointed

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »
I agree with you Zandolie. As a parent of the team. I am praying and hoping that the team will be given some priority. My son has been part of the previous and present U17 so I will know.
This is the future of football and they need attention and resources to prepare for the next level of competition.
Enough talk, we need to see action also.
Little is done in terms of preparation and then everyone criticizes the tech staff and the players.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »

Not as important, but significant nonethless, under Anton, our under 17s have beaten or biggest regional rival 3 times out of 3..once in Jamaica to qualify for the WC and once to knock them out of the final round of qualifying.

Good point but yuh only mention 2 times.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
I agree with you Zandolie. As a parent of the team. I am praying and hoping that the team will be given some priority. My son has been part of the previous and present U17 so I will know.
This is the future of football and they need attention and resources to prepare for the next level of competition.
Little is done in terms of preparation and then everyone criticizes the tech staff and the players.

Second time I saw you make mention that your son on the team...don't know if I missed it in another post....who is he  ???
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

truetrini

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 03:16:42 PM »

Second time I saw you make mention that your son on the team...don't know if I missed it in another post....who is he  ???

Britto

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »

Not as important, but significant nonethless, under Anton, our under 17s have beaten or biggest regional rival 3 times out of 3..once in Jamaica to qualify for the WC and once to knock them out of the final round of qualifying.

Good point but yuh only mention 2 times.

I know..I mentioned those to highlight the two most significant of the 3 victories. I should have put the word 'including'  before

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »
 Anton has done a good job so far. There is always room for improvement though.  Hopefully the coaches and players will contine to improve and get the job done at the next level.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
has our quality of play improved or for the least has it been consistent or even comparable the the level seen since 2006?

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
In my opinion there has been consistecy and progress at the youth level (u-17 and u-15).  With respect to the senior team it has been a very bumpy road with politics, blacklisting, coach changes and other conflicts. It is difficult for me to measure progress of the players and coaches at this point if we are comparing a relatively stable 2006 team that qualified for the WC to an ever-changing and unstable team surrouded by political conflict, that is only now beginin the qualification process for the WC.

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 07:40:23 PM »
The money invested in Anton is already spent, and I know that he did pick up some valuable coaching information along the road.

No matter what we think of him he must be used to help our youth development programs.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »
We problem is dat we doh prepare is a hit and miss approach we luv 2 use
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
Yes, but keep him AWAY from the Senior team for now.  Them big fellas dont take him serious.  I hear that from the horses mouth. well one horse.  Maybe for the next world cup run. not this one.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
So is it senior starters who don't take him serious or is your source a bench warmer trying to get a place on the team?  If the entire team does not respect him then that's bad.  I doubt that is the case.  As a developing coach he does need to be around the team to continue the learning process and pick up what ever he can from Maturana.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 01:35:37 AM »
So is it senior starters who don't take him serious or is your source a bench warmer trying to get a place on the team?  If the entire team does not respect him then that's bad.  I doubt that is the case.  As a developing coach he does need to be around the team to continue the learning process and pick up what ever he can from Maturana.

If you playin outside and exposed and accustomed to a particular standard, one that is professional and where tactical decisions are explained, and you come home and you have a coach who has little international or even local experience, that coach is going to have to EARN the players respect.

Is why Hannibal Najjar had a hard time.  Is why Gally, who was respected as a past player, but as soon as he buck up a player who was playin outside, couldn't find a place for Nakhid in his team.

The reality is, when our players come back home to represent the country and the coach is someone who is not an established, experienced coach...whether local or foreign....those coaches will have to EARN the player's respect.  When you add the attitude of some coaches whose approach might be "I am coach, you do what I tell you and doh question it"...dat eh wukkin wit dis generation.

Anton is in a particularly sensitive situation because he is perceived, rightly or wrongly, to have gotten where he has because he is Alvin son so he have dat to overcome too.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 07:40:49 AM »
I am curious to know, who are the qualified T&T coaches at the national level?

Trevor

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 08:14:34 AM »
I am curious to know, who are the qualified T&T coaches at the national level?

Trevor

Most qualified coach in terms of experience and Qualification has to be LP. Experience wise Anton will be ahead of almost all because of the recent assignments given to him. I also read on here once that LaFoucade had a bunch of qualifications.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>