March 28, 2024, 02:51:33 PM

Author Topic: Anton Corneal Thread  (Read 54334 times)

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anton Corneal done that badly?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »
At a national level - that's the definition.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
So what you mean is experience not qualifications then. If so, most likely would be Anton. He was the assistant to the Leo and Wim. Coach for the U-17 WC and has worked with every national setup basically in the last 2-3 years.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 08:28:52 AM »
I am curious to know, who are the qualified T&T coaches at the national level?

Trevor

Most qualified coach in terms of experience and Qualification has to be LP. Experience wise Anton will be ahead of almost all because of the recent assignments given to him. I also read on here once that LaFoucade had a bunch of qualifications.

LP ever coach any teams at the national level ? If so what were the results ? LP is just window dressing as far as I see ...just like Camps ! He was expected to say why Jack ?  not Yes jack ! Ok jack !!!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:51 AM »
I agree with you Zandolie. As a parent of the team. I am praying and hoping that the team will be given some priority. My son has been part of the previous and present U17 so I will know.
This is the future of football and they need attention and resources to prepare for the next level of competition.
Enough talk, we need to see action also.
Little is done in terms of preparation and then everyone criticizes the tech staff and the players.

Second time I saw you make mention that your son on the team...don't know if I missed it in another post....who is he  ???

Britto

Dat fish broth potent boy...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »
Elan,

Let me put it another way.   From the T&T current coaches, looking at their qualifications and experience, who do you believe are capable of coaching the national team?   

Trevor

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
Elan,

Let me put it another way. From the T&T current coaches, looking at their qualifications and experience, who do you believe are capable of coaching the national team?

Trevor

If you mean U-17 teams then Anton Corneal, Leonson Lewis and the Jabloteh youth coaches. Jefferson George and Reynold Carrington have done good work so far I hear but but like they dissappear Carrington from the scene from the scence. I'm sure there are PLENTY unheralded coaches in T&T who are unrecognized because they not in bed with the TTFF mafia.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 10:02:11 AM »

Elan,

Let me put it another way. From the T&T current coaches, looking at their qualifications and experience, who do you believe are capable of coaching the national team?

Trevor

If you mean U-17 teams then Anton Corneal, Leonson Lewis and the Jabloteh youth coaches. Jefferson George and Reynold Carrington have done good work so far I hear but but like they dissappear Carrington from the scene from the scence. I'm sure there are PLENTY unheralded coaches in T&T who are unrecognized because they not in bed with the TTFF mafia.
       Zando i still don't think you answered the question,you still have not identified any one capable of coaching any of our national teams,what good work George and Carrington did?could you name some unherald Coaches in T&T that needs to be recognized.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 10:32:11 AM »

Elan,

Trevor

Zando i still don't think you answered the question,you still have not identified any one capable of coaching any of our national teams,what good work George and Carrington did?could you name some unherald Coaches in T&T that needs to be recognized.

Maybe I'm thick but, I don't understand. Qualifications and experience that I believe capable of some consistent success?............none.

We do not have a proper youth system to send on players to the senior national team and as such it makes it difficult for any coach to achieve much. Our coaches are average, because they compete against average players and coaches in T&T. Looking at our PFL teams tactics are basic. We get lucky with a Nakhid, Latapy or Yorke now and then, but no consistent churning out of above avearge or outstanding youth players. Our players are technically and physically flawed. If our coaches cannot turn out players how are they gonna manage our national team.

I love my team and country but I won't big up anyone because they are from the same country. I am consistently around very good coaches and when I see how they do stuff the new ideas in coaching and then look at our methods, it leaves a lot to be desired.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 10:47:46 AM »
From the T&T current coaches, looking at their qualifications and experience, who do you believe are capable of coaching the national team?   

Trevor

I'll attempt (in no particular order) to list the known candidates.

Jamal Shabazz - Caledonia, former National coach, former women's coach, guyana coach
Anton Corneal - National teams...junior and senior
Gally Cummings - Not sure...used to be with North East Stars.  Most famous as a coach with the Srike Squad
Michael McComie - Was Joe Public Head Coach and with the Olympic team I think
Clint Marcelle - North East Stars
Brian Williams - Petrotrin
Kerry Jamerson - Defence Force
Ron LaForest - Ma Pau, had an unsuccessful stint with one of our youth teams
Clayton Morris - Rangers, Futsal team coach
Stuart Charles - W Connection (not a Trini but a former National coach)
Leonson Lewis - Assistant with W Connection
Terry Fenwick - Jabloteh (Same as Stuartie except the former National coach part)
Angus Eve - Assistant at Jabloteh
Peter Granville - Tobago United
Bertille St Clair - St Clair Coaching School (probably the most experienced of all & relatively successful internationally of all...not sure of his certification...he been around a looong time)
Dion La Foucade - La Foucade Coaching School (why not?  He is maybe the most certified of the lot with a very short stint as a national team coach.  Den he drop Jack Warner son and well.....dat was it fuh he on de national scene...)  ;D
Muhammed Issa - Former National coach, very knowledgeable, experienced, saw that he was with some Southern XI the other day that went on tour.
Jan Steadman - Still at Naparima I  believe

I'm sure there are more.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »
Alright, I believe Palos has addressed my question.   Palos, are you sure all these guys are qualified?  But okay, you came up with a list.

Next question – Of the guys you listed, pick your top three to coach the national team.  List 1 st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.

Trevor

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »

Elan,

Trevor

Carrington worked with Connection in several capacities, as coach scout etc. He also finished top in the group of coaches who took the KNVB academy course.  think Leonson Lewis seems to be an effective youth coach for Connection. And the Jabloteh youth coaches are taking practically every title for years now. Another Good coach is Leon Carpette the coach of Carapichaima Sec. School. He led Caps to 100% vicorites in Central Zone 2 years in a row now, and Caps only lost to the eventual Intercol champs Naparima by penalty kicks in the quaterfinals.

My point is that we need to take coaching development as seriously as we take football development. They go hand in hand. I would love to see the day trinidad exporting players and coaches alike to European, African, and North American leagues. I would also like to see some of the better coaches like Corneal qualify for 2 WCs in a row and leave these shores to coach a European or Central American team on the strength of his pedigree. That will free up some space for the bottom rungs to move up.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
Palos, are you sure all these guys are qualified?  But okay, you came up with a list.

Next question – Of the guys you listed, pick your top three to coach the national team.  List 1 st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.

Trevor

I not sure at all.

I know Anton, Bertille, La Foucade, Gally, Stuart, & Jamal are for sure.  Zando mentioned Reynold Carrington as well.  The rest...I assumin dey have various levels of certification but to what degree, I not sure.

To answer your 2nd question.....I think the Senior Men's National team coach needs to be someone experienced, and who would command respect from the players.  Given that our top players (at least 5 of the current team) ply their trade with professional teams abroad, it can't be a young up and comer, unless this up and comer is some kind of coaching phenom which I don't believe we have in T&T.

There is one name I deliberately left out.

Stephen Hart

Hart has had some success with Canadian Junior teams and he was the head coach in charge of the Canadians during their impressive display during the Last Gold Cup.  Their approach to the game was a refreshing change from the conservative style that was the hallmark of Canadian teams.  He is now Canada's Technical Director.

I believe from a coaching standpoint, Hart would make an excellent head coach of the T&T National team.  The only issue being he is NOT a household name and would likely encounter the same period of having to EARN the player's respect.  I would love to see him involved in some aspect of T&T's football, especially at the grass roots level because I feel as good of a coach that he is, that is probably the area where he can be most effective.

Finally, another name to consider would be that of Russell Latapy who is coaching and playing with Falkirk in Scotland.  He obviously is doing or has done his certification, he will have no problem with the RESPECT factor from the senior players, but his experience is negligible to some extent, certainly internationally.  That said, he doesn't have any less experience that Anton Corneal when he started out either.

So my picks for a "local" T&T Senior Men's team coach in no particular order?

Russell Latapy - for the reasons I outlined above
Terry Fenwick - Jabloteh is one of the most successful clubs in T&T and the vast majority of their players are eligible to play for T&T
Stuart Charles - W Connection is the other successful club in T&T and he deserves a fair shot.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:48:11 AM by palos »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2008, 12:28:35 PM »
Gally coachin UTT in d Super League
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
Palos,

I like how you presented your argument.  I just know Latapy as a player.  I do not know him personally.  He is obviously a T&T hero.  I am not sure if he is a qualified coach, though.  My question  – Does he possess the leadership skills to be a coach of the national team?  Keeping in mind too, a national coach has to deal with an international community.

Stephen Hart’s name keeps being mentioned.  I also do not know him personally and I have never seen him play.  I believe he played after I left home.  In order for him to be the coach of the Canadian youth team and interim coach of the Canadian senior team, he certainly has to be quite qualified and posseses leadership skills.  Is he interested in going back to T&T to coach?  If he has an interest, has he communicated that with TTFF?  Probably, the bigger question – Is he willing to deal with TTFF and T&T administration in general?

Although Terry Fenwick is coaching in Trinidad, I did not want to include him because I was referring strictly to T&T nationals.  Stuart Charles is not a local, but he has been coaching in Trinidad for awhile and he is from the Cariibbean.   So for argument sake, I will keep him in the mix.  Funny enough, I believe you came up with a comprehensive list.  However,  I am not sure whether many of the guys on the list are “qualified.”   

Sometimes when I hear Trinis talk, I get the impression that we have the greatest players and coaches in the world.  In fact, we are are quite limited.  Like Anton Corneal or not (especially because of his father), he is one of a handful of T&T qualified coaches.

I really do appreciate the dialogue.

Trevor 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
Palos,

I like how you presented your argument.  I just know Latapy as a player.  I do not know him personally.  He is obviously a T&T hero.  I am not sure if he is a qualified coach, though.  My question  – Does he possess the leadership skills to be a coach of the national team?  Keeping in mind too, a national coach has to deal with an international community.

Stephen Hart’s name keeps being mentioned.  I also do not know him personally and I have never seen him play.  I believe he played after I left home.  In order for him to be the coach of the Canadian youth team and interim coach of the Canadian senior team, he certainly has to be quite qualified and posseses leadership skills.  Is he interested in going back to T&T to coach?  If he has an interest, has he communicated that with TTFF?  Probably, the bigger question – Is he willing to deal with TTFF and T&T administration in general?

Although Terry Fenwick is coaching in Trinidad, I did not want to include him because I was referring strictly to T&T nationals.  Stuart Charles is not a local, but he has been coaching in Trinidad for awhile and he is from the Cariibbean.   So for argument sake, I will keep him in the mix.  Funny enough, I believe you came up with a comprehensive list.  However,  I am not sure whether many of the guys on the list are “qualified.”   

Sometimes when I hear Trinis talk, I get the impression that we have the greatest players and coaches in the world.  In fact, we are are quite limited.  Like Anton Corneal or not (especially because of his father), he is one of a handful of T&T qualified coaches.

I really do appreciate the dialogue.

Trevor 

Anton is certainly qualified.  Up de ying yang as dey does say.

But he come with baggage.  Unfortunately, not his own needah, but it dey.  And I reluctant to name him on my list purely because of that and the RESPECT factor from the overseas based pros.

Which is why he in the best position for him IMO.  Be Assistant Coach and let a recognised, international coach steer de reigns.  If he's good, and his record is not shabby, his results will speak for themselves and the respect will be earned.

Wim Rijsbergen was respected by the Soca Warriors team.  He worked under Beenie yes, but he was the one who carried out all the training sessions.

The reason why I would take Stuartie (and he has his certification) over Anton is that he's experienced, has coached the team previously, and he may be a more palatable choice for the foreign based pros AT THIS TIME.

To answer your question about Latas and representing in the international community, I don't believe that will be an issue.  People in football internationally know Russell Latapy.  Now they know RL the player yes, and he has to prove his bones as a coach at the international level, but unless yuh thinkin of goin back to Bertille or even Gally (which I would not do at this time), of the eligible coaches, he's the one that's going to instantly command the respect of ALL players, local and foreign based.  Whether that is sustained over time will be determined by his man management skills and his tactical expertise.

I don't believe THIS TEAM's problem however is coaching so much as it is gelling.  The "strike" and blacklist has left a lasting effect and soured some relationships on the team.  It won't be easy for that to be overcome.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:31:14 PM by palos »

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
Palos,

I agree with you that our problems go way beyond our current local coaches.  It is not an easy resolution.  It is so deeply rooted.  About five years ago, a friend of mine said to me that just as Panorama is  the best and worst thing for steelband, Jack Warner is the same to T&T football.   

Ah have to run.  Will continue to tomorrow.

Trevor

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »

Elan,

Trevor

Carrington worked with Connection in several capacities, as coach scout etc. He also finished top in the group of coaches who took the KNVB academy course.  think Leonson Lewis seems to be an effective youth coach for Connection. And the Jabloteh youth coaches are taking practically every title for years now. Another Good coach is Leon Carpette the coach of Carapichaima Sec. School. He led Caps to 100% vicorites in Central Zone 2 years in a row now, and Caps only lost to the eventual Intercol champs Naparima by penalty kicks in the quaterfinals.

My point is that we need to take coaching development as seriously as we take football development. They go hand in hand. I would love to see the day trinidad exporting players and coaches alike to European, African, and North American leagues. I would also like to see some of the better coaches like Corneal qualify for 2 WCs in a row and leave these shores to coach a European or Central American team on the strength of his pedigree. That will free up some space for the bottom rungs to move up.
      Zando this is where i think we are wrong,as soon as we start produceing decent Coaches/Players we want to export them to Europe,North America etc etc then we look at our Pro leagues and national teams and say they are shyt,i can't see us getting any crowds when there is nobody to attract the crowds,i understand players have options and opportunities today that were not there in the past but we had all our best players at home why the crowds came out.Having said that your points are well taken on Football development. 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
i understand players have options and opportunities today that were not there in the past but we had all our best players at home why the crowds came out.

Times have changed Coop's

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
I am curious to know, who are the qualified T&T coaches at the national level?

Trevor

Most qualified coach in terms of experience and Qualification has to be LP. Experience wise Anton will be ahead of almost all because of the recent assignments given to him. I also read on here once that LaFoucade had a bunch of qualifications.

Trevor you is a kinda man, I answer your question and you tell me no. Palos just had a bigger list, at the end of the day we still end up at Anton. I was just listing men at home, not foreign base. Whatever

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2008, 06:34:41 AM »
Elan,

I apologize.  I just thought you were getting too technical with the question, so I was having difficulty in getting past your first sentence.  I read over what you said, and pretty much, it came back to Anton and a few others.  I was just trying to go through the exercise to see what would have been the end result.  Sorry again.

I am not sure where all you guys live, but I hope to meet many of you at the T&T-El Salvador game. 

Trevor     

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
Elan,

I apologize.  I just thought you were getting too technical with the question, so I was having difficulty in getting past your first sentence.  I read over what you said, and pretty much, it came back to Anton and a few others.  I was just trying to go through the exercise to see what would have been the end result.  Sorry again.

I am not sure where all you guys live, but I hope to meet many of you at the T&T-El Salvador game. 

Trevor     

Don't worry i kind of think I understand what you were getting at, but just for clarification can you state why you asked the original question. After all the post i believe it was to show that the "local" coaches we have to choose from are limited in what they can actually do. Did I miss the point?

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
Richard Chinapoo would be a very viable candidate as he has the playing pedegree and many years of coaching experience under his belt. I'm sure he would be respected by the players and has the leadership/ administrative skills and professional diplomacy as additional attributes. The question is how can someone like Chinnas get an opportunity to be involved in the coaching circle in T&T? If we look hard enough there are many others who are worthy of some level of involvement at all levels (from youth to senior) of football on both the men's and women's programs.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
Always like Chinnas as a player so willin 2 give he a coachin wuk
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Arouca

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
anton corneal fired
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:48 AM »
word is from a reliable source anton corneal is fired...let me hear allyuh..

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: anton corneal fired
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2009, 02:03:29 AM »
Can't say we weren't expecting him to at least be relegated to play a part with the younger teams.

Latapy will be given a greater influence with the senior team.

Lets see how things pan out. Hoping for the best.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2009, 02:08:13 AM »
great news if so :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2009, 02:44:23 AM »
I wish him well in his next appointment
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2009, 02:51:05 AM »
So who will coach the under 17 team now ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2009, 03:03:16 AM »
So who will coach the under 17 team now ?
Arouca must be talking about the Senior Team
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2009, 06:03:57 AM »
Fired or demoted??

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>