March 28, 2024, 12:36:06 PM

Author Topic: Sancho heads to Wrexham.  (Read 11631 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sancho heads to Wrexham.
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
Guyana replaces N/Antilles for Tuesday's friendly.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation has for the second time in a week had to cancel a proposed friendly international match due to unforeseen circumstances. The latest change has been the change in opponent for Tuesday’s friendly international at the Marvin Lee Stadium scheduled for 7:30pm.
It was announced on Thursday that the Netherlands Antilles would be arriving here for the encounter. However there are no flights available to bring the Netherlands team from Curacao to Port of Spain before Tuesday and the Netherlands FA General Secretary Hubert Isiena expressed his regret at this on Saturday.
“We are disappointed that an unavailability of flights to take the team to Trinidad in time for Tuesday has forced us to cancel the trip,” Isiena said.
There remained the possibility of the team being able to arrive later in the week but the TTFF and it’s Senior Team coaching staff preferred not to change the match schedule and will in fact stage a friendly international on Tuesday. The Guyana National Senior team will now face T&T at the same venue.
Team manager David Mohammed commented: “We had no choice but to ensure that we go ahead with a scheduled friendly for the date. We have scheduled a program with players attending training sessions etc and we felt there was the obvious need to play an international game. Unfortunately it’s not Netherlands Antilles or one of the Central American nations but Guyana we know have been improving and they are now focusing on qualification for the Digicel Cup and we expect they will present us with a good challenge on Tuesday.”
Meantime, recalled National Team striker Cornell Glen says he is hoping to press his claims to becoming a regular fixture on the team following his latest call up by Francisco Maturana.
“It’s good to get the recall and I just want to help the country as best as I can,” Glen told TTFF Media after his first session on Friday at the Marvin Lee Stadium.
“It’s been frustrating having to look on at the team playing the last few games knowing that I wasn’t able to make a contribution. I know a lot of the other guys have felt the same way. We have supported the rest of the players but at the same time we also want to make a contribution and I’m happy to have gotten this chance now.
“I’m still working on my form.. I’m maybe about 90 percent fully ready and I just hope to get some more playing time which is exactly what I need right now.”
Glen said that he felt assured that the Maturana and his staff will continue to monitor the players and pick the ones worthy of selection on merit.
“Definitely I think the coach is still looking at us. I think he’s doing well to keep the confidence level up among the players in the Pro League but I think he’s also monitoring the senior players and still has hopes of involving the ex-World Cup players who haven’t been involved too much. But generally I think he’s trying to build a team right now and you can’t fault that … it’s good too that he is willing to give the players an opportunity before he settles on a squad.”
The former LA Galaxy and Columbus Crew player still has ambitions of plying his trade overseas.
“That’s part of my career that I think is incomplete. I’m working on getting back out there, maybe in Europe and finishing on a high. I spent three years in the MLS and I’m disappointed that I didn’t win any titles or trophies.
“I’m fully recovered from the injuries, especially the one from the World Cup. It’s been more of a mental battle… having to get the thought of the injury out of my mind and being able to play and give my best. I’m working towards becoming back a fully fit player and I’m just looking to go all out and help the country qualify for the next World Cup,” Glen concluded.
News from the 04th of July 2008

Seniors to now face Netherlands Antilles.
[/size]

A proposed two-match tour of Central America for this country's National Senior Men's team has been put off due to the unavailability of El Salvador and Honduras national teams. This was confirmed by the TTFF on Thursday and alternative plans are being made to have the Netherlands Antilles travel to play here on July 8. Speaking on Thursday, Special Advisor Jack Warner said efforts were also being made to have matches against Peru and Venezuela.
"Unfortunately after we were able to get the two games, our friends in both Honduras and El Salvador informed us that their teams would be heavily understrength because of their club football and we then felt it would be of little use to send our team there at this point. We also tried for Suriname but they could not get things arranged in time for a game next week," Warner said.
"We felt then that the Netherlands Antilles will be good for the occasion after they just narrowly lost out to Haiti in the World Cup qualification. We also have a South American agent working on the matches in that continent for us at the moment and we hope to have firm details on this later in the month." Netherlands Antilles FA General Secretary Hubert Isiena confirmed his team's arrival for the game.
"We will come definitely to play the game. It is always a great opportunity to play against Trinidad. We had very high hopes for the qualifiers and we were very unfortunate to go out against Haiti. At the moment we are not giving up and we are preparing for the Digicel Cup. We also have three players who were born in Holland and are still with us. They will travel with the team to Trinidad next week," Isiena said. Skipper Aurtis Whitey is out with injury while Darryl Roberts is also unavailable.
News from the 02nd Of July 2008

T&T seniors off to Central America.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago's Senior Team will leave on the weekend to play back to back friendly internationals against El Salvador (on Tuesday July 8th) and Honduras (July 10th) in those respective countries. This was confirmed by the TTFF as it attempts to allow the "Soca Warriors" valuable warm up preparation prior to its August 20 World Cup qualifier against Cuba in Havana.
However, the team will be without several of its overseas-based players due to club commitments with the games also falling outside of the FIFA International Calendar. Missing will be Dennis Lawrence, Carlos Edwards, Stern John, Clayton Ince, Jan Michael Williams and Jason Scotland among others.
Head coach Francisco Maturana has recalled Charleston Battery striker Randi Patterson while Darryl Roberts is doubtful due to his possible signing with a new club in Europe this week. Puerto Rico Islanders' Kendall has also been invited for the two matches.
T&T also has possible warm ups scheduled away to Venezuela and then home to Ecuador and Suriname leading up to the start of the semi-final round. All these mentioned teams are still in the race for qualification towards the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Ecuador next faces Bolivia while Venezuela meets Peru on September 6. Suriname tackles Haiti while Honduras are away to Mexico and El Salvador travels to Costa Rica on August 20.
"These are two good games for us at this time and I think they will be important for these players before we face Cuba," Maturana told TTFF Media. "We have called a couple of new players but the majority will be from the local base because the other players have to return to their various clubs. But we will still use these games as our preparation because after getting past Bermuda, it is now necessary for us to keep on working and improving for the start of the next round."
Should there fail to be an agreement to the use of a local stadium for the September 6 match against Guatemala, the TTFF has secured use of a venue in New Jersey for the World Cup qualifier.

T&T Squad:

1.Marvin Phillips (W Connection), 2.Kern Cupid (W Connection), 3.Makan Hislop (United Petrotrin), Akeem Adams (W Connection), 5.Clyde Leon (W Connection), 6.Khaleem Hyland (Unattached), 7.Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin), 8.Kareem Smith (United Petrotrin), 9.Anthony Wolfe (North East Stars), 10.Kendall Jagdeosingh (Puerto Rico Islanders), 11.Akeil Guevera (North East Stars), 12.Ataullah Guerra (Clico San Juan Jabloteh), 13.Kevon Carter (Defence Force), 14.Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public F.C.), 15.Anton Pierre (Defence Force), 16.Stephan David (Caledonia AIA), 17.Glenroy Samuel (Caledonia AIA), 18.Aklie Edwards (Defence Force), 19.Jerol Forbes (United Petrotrin), 20.Kerry Noray (Joe Public F.C.), 21.Cornell Glen (Mau Pau), 22.Radanfah Abu Bakr (Caledonia AIA).
News from the 01st of July 2008

Sancho heads to Wrexham.

Defender Brent Sancho returns to England on Monday in an attempt to get his professional career back on track. The former Gillingham stopper will go straight into training at Wrexham AFC. Sancho has been in Trinidad for the past couple months and has been working on his fitness, at times also training with Clico San Juan Jabloteh. He has had interest from a couple clubs following the end of his Ross County stint last season.
“I’ve had  talks with a couple clubs but I’ll be going to Wrexham first and spend a few days there training and then see how things go from there,” Sancho said.
He seems to have heard some of the advice coming from Francisco Maturana last week on players who need to be back playing full time at the club level.
“To be fair I haven’t been playing because obviously the season’s been out but I understand that a coach will emphasize that players need to be training and playing that’s what I know I have to do in the season coming up. At the end of the day any player has to be in good physical shape to get into a team.
“I think it was important that the national team got over that last hurdle (in Bermuda) and now we have to look ahead to the semi final round and definitely try to prepare the team as best as possible for the upcoming matches. We have a good chance as any other team to progress in this campaign,” he added. Former Wrexham winger Carlos Edwards said his old club would be a good option.
“He will like it there because the facilities at the club are excellent and the club will come right back up. The town there is a good place to live as well,” Edwards said.
Midfielder Silvio Spann is also at Wrexham for the club’s preseason preparations.
Meantime national midfielder Khaleem Hyland is expected to head back to Portsmouth this week and is reportedly closer to tying up a deal with the club which has kept tabs on him for the past few months. Dwight Yorke as well is also back in Sunderland and an announcement is expected to be made by the club regarding his status.
Yorke, who played for Sydney FC before joining Sunderland in August 2006, held talks with Central Coast Mariners about a return to the A-league only for the move to fall through, a report on tribalfootball.com stated.
"That would have been my ambition, to come back here," Yorke told the Australian newspaper the Daily Telegraph.
"I felt this year would have been the year to come back and stamp my authority in terms of playing football and getting the football buzzing around Sydney again.
"My last conversation (with the Mariners) was, 'Yeah, we'll get it sorted'. We looked at a figure that was reasonable for them, it wasn't great for me but I was prepared to come for that.
"Sunderland have offered me a contract because they know I can still produce it," he added.
"I'm 36, there's no secret there. I'm coming to the end of my career, I'm looking for something with a bit more flavour - in terms of lifestyle, the weather, people and food. Sydney fits that bill."
T&T winger Carlos Edwards will also head back to Sunderland later this week to join in their preseason campaign.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:18:19 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sancho heads to Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
shaun fuentes writing article bout sancho....anyone else find this strange?

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »

I will keep my counsel for now, but give them the benefit of the doubt that this is a step at unity
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »

why is that strange?  I'm sure Fuentes is good friends with all the players...  give the guy a break

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »
Yeah the vibes in the camp seems to be conciliatory over the last week or so. There appears to be a concerted effort at working together towards the qualification of team TT. Ofcourse knowing TTFF's(Jack's) track record one can only hope. Recommended? Wait an see.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
better give the man a call up soon
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
Nah man ever so ofetn we does get alil story bout dem fellas from d press office/ journalist/ min of info 4 d TTFF. U know who is he employers when u read d line dat he take pancho advice bout playin regular ball. He ended d season in May in Ross County while meh boi jamal Gay ended he season in Dec wit Eldo Snr Comp
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »

For you information pardner, Shaun and Sancho are very good friends
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »
Yeah the vibes in the camp seems to be conciliatory over the last week or so. There appears to be a concerted effort at working together towards the qualification of team TT. Ofcourse knowing TTFF's(Jack's) track record one can only hope. Recommended? Wait an see.

Like Jack realise he cutting off he nose to spite he face.... and facking up he paper while he at it...

Is all about paper in the end for Jack..
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
First Shakes now dis?

This isn't a dis of Wrexham - ah know they give nuff ah we players opportunities in the last 8 years,
but if they feel dey playing up in dey ahem and want World Cup players to play amateur ball after they throw Josh and especially Spann under de bus, they have another thing coming.

I wish them luck on coming back up, but they go have to do to do this without we. De campaign too important
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
Agree wit u dey Midnight Wrexham have 2 b he last choice nutten eh happenin dey at present
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »

Look I eh even read de report yet but ah see de writer and say WTH ???!!!
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »

That is not de question.. It seems as though he was never permitted to write about certain players (Sancho being one). Now after almost 1yr he writes an article come on yuh doh see dat?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 06:03:30 PM »
Good luck Sancho you need to be playing regular football hope to see back on the national team soon :beermug:

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »
sancho yuh kno anton an alvin go say dat conference ball cya compare wit PFL ball an yuh go geh shaft again..anyways i respect ur desicion...good luck bro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
Nah Friday ever so often we used 2 get a lil story Eman  and dem bois could pull a few

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »

i seen them liming good good in 51 week of the Bermuda game in Trini.  jus a matter of looking past the job to the man.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
I don't know Sancho good enough or have not seen him play enough to form an expert opinion of the guy but i would like to ask a couple questions of the posters on here that knows him well,why is it he can't get a descent team or any team at all to play with?he was one of our stand outs at the WC did anybody besides us Trini's see him?is it because he is outspoken it affects his relationship with people he does business with?

Some of us who talking bad of Wrexham must remember they gave a lot of our players their first break,a chance to get themselves exposed on the European circuit,we can't continue to blame clubs when our players don't make it or their contracts are not renewed,we see things from a sentimental point of view but clubs see it as business,this is Pro Football and no one going to wait one or two years for a player to get better,what makes it worst for us is our players background does not help them like what clubs they played for,their record etc etc we have nothing to stand on when clubs start to bargain for players.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:10:34 PM by Coop's »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
why is that strange?  I'm sure Fuentes is good friends with all the players...  give the guy a break

'Friendship' have nothing to do with anything... the two of you miss the point spectacularly.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »
Some of us who talking bad of Wrexham must remember they gave a lot of our players their first break,a chance to get themselves exposed on the European circuit,we can't continue to blame clubs when our players don't make it or their contracts are not renewed,we see things from a sentimental point of view but clubs see it as business,this is Pro Football and no one going to wait one or two years for a player to get better,what makes it worst for us is our players background does not help them like what clubs they played for,their record etc etc we have nothing to stand on when clubs start to bargain for players.

Opinion respected as usual. I wasn't bad talking Wreham per se - I didn't even mean to say that Spann didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus. But in the same way that is "business as usual for them", now is time for our players to do the "business" of getting in decent level ball to make a case for getting (back) on the national team and forget sentimentality. Dis is de same Sancho who went Millwall for a one month deal 'if reports are to be believed) because good relations witht he manager, as opposed to taking up a full contract with Doncaster back in January.

Not only is Sancho playing at Wrexham (though there is nothing in the article to suggest that despite the misleading headline) a bad idea for him getting back to his original level of competiitiveness, but its giving the anti fpatt lobby a good big piece of mango wood to permanently beat him off the national team.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »
I don't know Sancho good enough or have not seen him play enough to form an expert opinion of the guy but i would like to ask a couple questions of the posters on here that knows him well,why is it he can't get a descent team or any team at all to play with?he was one of our stand outs at the WC did anybody besides us Trini's see him?is it because he is outspoken it affects his relationship with people he does business with?

i feel somebody duttying he water......it must have something more to it.......maybe prospective employers see him as a trouble maker because he stood up for himself and is 1 of the leaders FPATT.........employers hate union and their leaders

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »

No chance the problem could be with Sancho himself eh ???
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

No chance the problem could be with Sancho himself eh ???
It is a possibility but when yuh look at d fella history it is unlikely.  I dont know d man like dat buthave played against him back home and in brooklyn up until U-19 and from back den he was a cool fella.  D fella eh reach this far with discipline/attitude problems.......ah mean it is well documented discipline/attitude is why most of our "stars" never reach far........so I would dare to say he isnt the problem..........wiour putting meh head on a block of course

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brent's the latest Caribbean connection
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 07:25:06 AM »
Brent's the latest Caribbean connection
By Tom Norris (Wrexham Leader)

CARLOS EDWARDS helped sell the club to wannabee Wrexham player, Brent Sancho.

Reds' boss Brian Little today confirmed that the Trinidad and Tobago defender is training with the club following his release from Scottish Division Two Champions Ross County at the end of the 2007/08 campaign.

Thirty-one-year-old Sancho admitted to contacting former Reds' favourite Carlos Edwards and current player Silvio Spann for more information about the club prior to his ten day trial.

"Wrexham Football Club is obviously in the wrong division," said Sancho, who gained worldwide fame as the defender who was pulled back by his dreadlocks as England's Peter Crouch headed the opener in their 2006 World Cup clash.

"I rang Carlos and Silvio to get a bit of background information about Wrexham and they were both raving about the set-up.

"With Silvio here and the good bunch of lads they have it feels like a second home. It is a comfortable place to come and my first impressions of the manager are excellent.

"I have been welcomed with open arms and the talent they have here shows me that they do not belong in this division."

When asked whether a permanent move to Wrexham was at the top of his agenda - Sancho remained focused on impressing boss Little.

"I am here for ten days and will take each day as it comes," he said. "I have played in a World Cup and I hope to use that experience during my time at the club.

"Everybody continues to learn and that will not stop here. Training is top class and the facilities as I have said are brilliant."

Little admitted that the opportunity to run the rule over a defender with 43 international caps proved too good to miss.

"Brent will be with us for a little period now," said Little. "It is a good opportunity to have an extended look at him. There is no limit to how long he will be here and it is a good situation for both parties.

"There will be plenty of time for him to impress, both in training and behind closed door matches. He comes to us with a good reputation having played at a higher level and in a World Cup."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sancho heads to Wrexham.
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 12:31:29 PM »
He comes wit a good reputation who he buy dat from boi?

1]; } ?>