March 28, 2024, 11:36:33 PM

Author Topic: Phillips: More focus needed on youths.  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Phillips: More focus needed on youths.
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:07 AM »
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

Public and corporate Trinidad and Tobago need to play a bigger role in contributing to the development of football. This was the view expressed by T&T Football Federation technical director Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips, as he gave his address during the launch of the RightStart Youth Cup 2008 at Republic Bank Limited's Park Street, Port of Spain headquarters yesterday.

"Jack Warner cannot do everything," Phillips told the gathering. "Jack Warner, he has his ways like anybody else, but Jack Warner cannot do everything, the TTFF cannot do everything. The public also has their responsibility..."

Phillips was of the opinion that a lot more focus needs to be placed on developing young players, so they will be more technically capable and tactically aware by the time they reach the national senior level.

"Our kids are getting to 12, 13 years of age and they don't run properly, they don't jump properly," he explained.

Phillips was pleased that Under-10 players were getting a chance to compete in the tournament this year, saying players this young "need to play competitive football at the primary school level".

The July 12-August 17 tournament is currently in its 13th year and at stake is the RightStart Shield, $70,000 in prizes, and 120 scholarships valued at $200,000 for the Republic Cup football camps during the Easter and July-August school vacations.

Players on teams reaching the August 17 finals will also be awarded a $50 RightStart saving account.

Two new categories have been added for the tournament-the Boys' 10 and Under, and the Girls' 15 and Under Divisions.

The other Divisions include: Boys' 12 and Under, Boys' 14 and Under, Boys' 16 and Under, Boys' 18 and Under, and Girls' 18 and Under.

The Special Olympics teams will also compete on the opening day, as well as play the final on the last day of the Cup.

Also at the launch was new T&T Under-17 girls coach, American Randy Waldron, who last coached at Notre Dame University in the United States and took over the T&T squad in March.

Waldron pointed out that Trinidad and Tobago were behind in world football in terms of development, but saw enough in the young women to determine they can break onto the international scene if given the right start.

"There is no reason the US and Canada should be the only two players from CONCACAF on the world scene," Waldron remarked.

The first round of matches takes place on July 12 at Casuals' Corner, Queen's Park Savannah.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips: More focus needed on youths.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »
Its a shame. Mr Phillips I spoke to you in Germany, and came away feeling proud that you were different from them ass kicking Jackomanias but you prove me wrong. Unless profit is involved (money or rank), Jack ain't interested. TI and I ask if we could assist the program of scouting new talent in New York and Toronto; still waiting Mr Phillips.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:39:04 AM »
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

"Jack Warner cannot do everything," Phillips told the gathering. "Jack Warner, he has his ways like anybody else, but Jack Warner cannot do everything, the TTFF cannot do everything. The public also has their responsibility..."

Of course Jack cyah do everything, and the things he can't do, he won't let anyone else touch because no on can look better than he... so nothing gets done without Jack.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:51:08 AM »
I know it have a lot of people here who does love to run to de backing or Mr. Phillips. Personally i dont know why. I think this dude has done nothing to impact our football and rather look to be a figure who does stay quiet as all de crap going on and then come out and talk about some abstract event like if it not all connected. Bout private and corporate sponsors. ha.. thats a pack of crock. Is this a signal to forget about what going on now Mr. Phillips and look toward 2014 or 18... Is this like football bible code?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:51:54 AM »
Y would corporateTNT support d TTFF when d last set ah money dey give neva reach its destination plus SPORTS company approve money 4 he youth programme last yr. Where dat gone wit Rhett and Scarlett in d wind. Look LP come again u credibility at an all time low
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:30:14 AM »
I am/was a LP defender.

I believe he went in there to help the football and try to work around Jack and the TTFF. All the things he say there make sense but nothing will come of it because the people in the TTF Fwill not implement it and nobody trust them to give them money.

I feel he get suck in to the quicksand that is the TTFF and he trying to work with Jack but that is a waste of time. He definitely get caught up in the animosity towards Wim and he give Jack an easy out for getting rid of him.

He real quiet. Can’t believe that he thinks that moving home games abroad doesn’t deserve scorn, yet he say nothing. Jack say that is Maturana not selecting Birchall and the blacklist, he say nothing.

Maybe he feel that if he leave the work nothing will be achieved and in some small way he making progress but working with/under Jack and Camps would drive me mad.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »
it has been a while since he has said something....guess de hard cuff Wim hit him still hurtin..cause he only bumpin he gums....

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »
Lincoln have no impact, he might have the knowleged but he have no voice. Seems he's forever kissing up to the TTFF moreso Jack Warner to either keep him in the fray or has given up the battle as TD, Anton Corneal, Alvin Corneal and Richard Gorden have him on check.

And to know he started of so well, taking our youth teams to tour the USA and so on. Now he's like a fart in a hurricane if so to speak (heard that saying from Sam...

Anyways, I hope he gets the balls to really do something before he retires. Stephen Hart might have been a better option for T&T TD. Lincoln does not realise by staying quiet and not doing anything for years now is only making his reputation look bad.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42:47 AM »
I know it have a lot of people here who does love to run to de backing or Mr. Phillips. Personally i dont know why. I think this dude has done nothing to impact our football and rather look to be a figure who does stay quiet as all de crap going on and then come out and talk about some abstract event like if it not all connected. Bout private and corporate sponsors. ha.. thats a pack of crock. Is this a signal to forget about what going on now Mr. Phillips and look toward 2014 or 18... Is this like football bible code?

:beermug:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »
I am/was a LP defender.

I believe he went in there to help the football and try to work around Jack and the TTFF. All the things he say there make sense but nothing will come of it because the people in the TTF Fwill not implement it and nobody trust them to give them money.

I feel he get suck in to the quicksand that is the TTFF and he trying to work with Jack but that is a waste of time. He definitely get caught up in the animosity towards Wim and he give Jack an easy out for getting rid of him.

He real quiet. Can’t believe that he thinks that moving home games abroad doesn’t deserve scorn, yet he say nothing. Jack say that is Maturana not selecting Birchall and the blacklist, he say nothing.

Maybe he feel that if he leave the work nothing will be achieved and in some small way he making progress but working with/under Jack and Camps would drive me mad.

Firstly, how do you know he said nothing, and if it was wise to say anything in the 1st place. on the birchall issue, i spoke to rolf bartillo just after we qualified for germany and he told me that he didn't think birchall is an asset to the team and we would be better off without him.

he was also dissatisfied with beenhakker and thought that we could do better without him as well, and how his team selection sucked.

now i'm of the opinion that rolf was not the only football figour in Trinidad and Tobago who felt this way, as a matter of fact,  i'm willing to bet my monthly earnings that maybe 1/2 of the football fraternity in T&T felt the same way as rolf.

hence the reason anton corneal and CO. is not eager to bring back birchall,  and i don't think LP has the weight or the influence to make a difference.

the last statement you made was IMO the most accurate. maybe LP is willing to eat humble pie to accomplish his goal, which might be to develop T&T football to a world class standard, which would mean working around the landmines and tip toeing through the tulips, which to me makes the world of sense.

NOW ! what about us! yes the soca so called warriors members. how much do we want to see football develop to a world class standard in in our home land.

tell me ! how much little leagues do we sponsor, how much gear do we amass annually that we donate to the kids that can't afford them ? do we have an account where we save towards the development of the game in T&T ? or a league we may have in mind, or to start one of our own.

it seem's to me that we are quite capable of sitting behind ah PC being critical of ppl that has worked their asses of in order that we might reap the benefits ( bragging rights ), but tell me this , besides Tallman , Flex , E man , and Palos, who else is even trying to help bring our football along to a place where we could be satisfied of our accomplishments in T&T, other than that , it's just one complaint after the other.

why not organise a not for profit ORG. towards the development of the game in T&T and hold fundraisers and maybe one day we could have a school of excellence of our own, i believe the government would donate land towards such a worthy cause, don't you ?

my point is i agree with tiger, i believe he was saying, read  between the lines ( in disguise ) , forget about jack and camps, lets try to develop the game beyond their reach instead of waiting for them to take their own sweet time in doing so.

let's take a differant path, we need all the help we can get, sponsors , able minds , and willing hearts, and just maybe ! maybe we could pull off the impossible, by bringing the standard of football in Trinidad and Tobago up to an international standard. i think that's what the fella really wanted to say.

but we failed to read between the lines.                               positive.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:33:40 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »
I have no first-hand knowledge of the things going on behind closed ttff doors......but  when it comes to anything close to "endorsing" jack warner, I still would not have expected to have heard this kinda tone coming from A man I........have so much respect for.  Say it ain't so, "Tiger".  Please say it ain't so!   ???

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »
Firstly, how do you know he said nothing, and if it was wise to say anything in the 1st place. on the birchall issue, i spoke to rolf bartillo just after we qualified for germany and he told me that he didn't think birchall is an asset to the team and we would be better off without him.

Rolf Otto Bartolo????? dude yuh takin he word as golden??????

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
JC, based on YOUR observations of the 2006 WC qualifiers and the WC itself, in your honest opinion, would you say that Birchall brought nothing to the team, and that we were better off without him? I just curious...
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »

How long have you been playing football  ???? well rolf playing football donkey yrs until he's been coaching donkey yrs ! and could you say you produce the qaulity of players that rolf coach and produce over the yrs,  like yuh forget maple was a top contender when rolf was coaching them.

give the man his props nah dread, the man in the game damn near all his life, and dedicate his time towards the deveoplement of young talent , as for his politics or affiliation , put that aside and deal with the fella credentrials , and for that yuh cant deny the bredder deserve his say, even if it's totally off IYO.                                                               positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
JC, based on YOUR observations of the 2006 WC qualifiers and the WC itself, in your honest opinion, would you say that Birchall brought nothing to the team, and that we were better off without him? I just curious...
NO !!! Honestly ! it was criss birchall efforts and goal took us the the WC, i will have to be a TOTAL NUT !!! to believe something like that, and we still need his efforts and goals to help us pass the semi's and the hex.

but like tiger phillips, i'm helpless to his cause. all i was saying is that a lot of influential ppl involved in T&T football did not took kindly this this player, rolf being one of them, and if that was his opinion, could you imagine the rest of the fratunity who have the power of suggestion and influence over jack and CO.                         positive.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »

How long have you been playing football  ???? well rolf playing football donkey yrs until he's been coaching donkey yrs ! and could you say you produce the qaulity of players that rolf coach and produce over the yrs,  like yuh forget maple was a top contender when rolf was coaching them.

give the man his props nah dread, the man in the game damn near all his life, and dedicate his time towards the deveoplement of young talent , as for his politics or affiliation , put that aside and deal with the fella credentrials , and for that yuh cant deny the bredder deserve his say, even if it's totally off IYO.                                                               positive.

lissen breds ah give de man credit for his efforts...but Rolf was never a serious coach...he used to pull players dry-so and ask them if dey want to play for maple.....developing players nah....

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »

lissen breds ah give de man credit for his efforts...but Rolf was never a serious coach...he used to pull players dry-so and ask them if dey want to play for maple.....developing players nah....

Now who the hell is Rolf Bartollo? AN isurance salesman punto final. Anybody and I mean anybody mentioning his name as an authority on football is  jackass. All these peices of shit who were always front and center criticising Beenie man but trembling in a corner to mention Jack's name now want to talk and impress people. I say to hell with the whole lot and their impressionable friends.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
Sub yuh have to respect the man efforts at organizing ....but that is where it  stops as ah say before he don;t know enough about the game to develop players...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 08:33:13 PM »
I am/was a LP defender.

he was also dissatisfied with beenhakker and thought that we could do better without him as well, and how his team selection sucked.

now i'm of the opinion that rolf was not the only football figour in Trinidad and Tobago who felt this way, as a matter of fact,  i'm willing to bet my monthly earnings that maybe 1/2 of the football fraternity in T&T felt the same way as rolf.

hence the reason anton corneal and CO. is not eager to bring back birchall,  and i don't think LP has the weight or the influence to make a difference.

the last statement you made was IMO the most accurate. maybe LP is willing to eat humble pie to accomplish his goal, which might be to develop T&T football to a world class standard, which would mean working around the landmines and tip toeing through the tulips, which to me makes the world of sense.

NOW ! what about us! yes the soca so called warriors members. how much do we want to see football develop to a world class standard in in our home land.

tell me ! how much little leagues do we sponsor, how much gear do we amass annually that we donate to the kids that can't afford them ? do we have an account where we save towards the development of the game in T&T ? or a league we may have in mind, or to start one of our own.

it seem's to me that we are quite capable of sitting behind ah PC being critical of ppl that has worked their asses of in order that we might reap the benefits ( bragging rights ), but tell me this , besides Tallman , Flex , E man , and Palos, who else is even trying to help bring our football along to a place where we could be satisfied of our accomplishments in T&T, other than that , it's just one complaint after the other.

why not organise a not for profit ORG. towards the development of the game in T&T and hold fundraisers and maybe one day we could have a school of excellence of our own, i believe the government would donate land towards such a worthy cause, don't you ?

my point is i agree with tiger, i believe he was saying, read  between the lines ( in disguise ) , forget about jack and camps, lets try to develop the game beyond their reach instead of waiting for them to take their own sweet time in doing so.

let's take a differant path, we need all the help we can get, sponsors , able minds , and willing hearts, and just maybe ! maybe we could pull off the impossible, by bringing the standard of football in Trinidad and Tobago up to an international standard. i think that's what the fella really wanted to say.

but we failed to read between the lines.                               positive.

THat is some serious BS. Look at we now without Birchall and Beenhaker now. 
How he liking Maturana team selection now?

Like whatever they give LP to rub he eat.   

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »
Dat is y Gally despite he constant whinin he is more of a man than LP a total dissapointment if u eh part of d solution u is part of d problem si from where I sit he is part of we problem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »

How long have you been playing football  ???? well rolf playing football donkey yrs until he's been coaching donkey yrs ! and could you say you produce the qaulity of players that rolf coach and produce over the yrs,  like yuh forget maple was a top contender when rolf was coaching them.

give the man his props nah dread, the man in the game damn near all his life, and dedicate his time towards the deveoplement of young talent , as for his politics or affiliation , put that aside and deal with the fella credentrials , and for that yuh cant deny the bredder deserve his say, even if it's totally off IYO.                                                               positive.

Now who the hell is Rolf Bartollo? AN isurance salesman punto final. Anybody and I mean anybody mentioning his name as an authority on football is  jackass. All these peices of shit who were always front and center criticising Beenie man but trembling in a corner to mention Jack's name now want to talk and impress people. I say to hell with the whole lot and their impressionable friends.

How long have you been playing football  ???? well rolf playing football donkey yrs until he's been coaching donkey yrs ! and could you say you produce the qaulity of players that rolf coach and produce over the yrs,  like yuh forget maple was a top contender when rolf was coaching them.

give the man his props nah dread, the man in the game damn near all his life, and dedicate his time towards the deveoplement of young talent , as for his politics or affiliation , put that aside and deal with the fella credentrials , and for that yuh cant deny the bredder deserve his say, even if it's totally off IYO.                                                               positive.

boss i asking mehself de same question! me eh know de fellah and he history, but criticising 'me mum' and Beenie?

i went back and re-read the post (just to make sure meh emotions eh getting de better ah meh) and de man say that Rolfie criticise them AFTER we qualify for germany?!?!?!?!

I sure if i come Trini now and talk dat kinda tata, man eh hesitating to ask meh if i is a kinda C*&T!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:47 AM »
Listen bredders, even if allyuh eh rate rolf , or yuh rate him , my point is this, the man belongs to a fraternity of football faithfuls in T&T who share the same sentiments on player selection and football delopment in the country. 

now i never say rolf was frank rikard or liuse scolari, my point is that if rolf felt that way yuh could only imagine how much influentail ppl from that same fratuernity has the same sentiments.

now i trained under rolf for about for 8 months , and i rate him as a student of the game, and if allyuh feel differantly then fine, who cares !

the bredder taught me things about the game, and fitness drills that helped my game along, and maybe i could in turn pass that knowledge on to a youngster in the future who may in turn do the same for someone else.

and to be clear on the beenie issue, he expressed his disatisfaction with beenhakker's team selection and the rotation of players, and not his coaching capabilities.   so let's get that straight !!!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »

An who job is that?  Didn't they give Lincoln that job?  So he senile now he talkin to heself?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 08:25:16 PM »
Not only he get d wuk he get money 2

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 06:52:58 AM »
Why does the media waste time to cover and print statements such as these from LP and those guys ... not sure if LP thinks this is revelation, but the world knows that you cannot expect players to be world class at 24 and 25 yeard old and not be good as youths.  You cannot ignore players when they are young and expect them to be great at 24 and 25 years old.  Good old common sense.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
Listen bredders, even if allyuh eh rate rolf , or yuh rate him , my point is this, the man belongs to a fraternity of football faithfuls in T&T who share the same sentiments on player selection and football delopment in the country. 

now i never say rolf was frank rikard or liuse scolari, my point is that if rolf felt that way yuh could only imagine how much influentail ppl from that same fratuernity has the same sentiments.

now i trained under rolf for about for 8 months , and i rate him as a student of the game, and if allyuh feel differantly then fine, who cares !

the bredder taught me things about the game, and fitness drills that helped my game along, and maybe i could in turn pass that knowledge on to a youngster in the future who may in turn do the same for someone else.

and to be clear on the beenie issue, he expressed his disatisfaction with beenhakker's team selection and the rotation of players, and not his coaching capabilities.   so let's get that straight !!!

Tell we who he stated should have been picked nah?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »

Tell we who he stated should have been picked nah?
Spann, glenn , sealy, baptiste.

1]; } ?>