April 25, 2024, 03:27:07 PM

Author Topic: Has Maturana lost his mojo ?  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Has Maturana lost his mojo ?
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:32:28 AM »
No country for bold men.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Has Maturana lost his mojo?

“You know how this is going to turn out, don’t ya?” The question seemed to hang in the air. It is a scene from the critically-acclaimed motion picture “No country for old men”. Anton Chigurh, an intense contract killer, posed the query to his target, Llewelyn Moss, and, for added effect, one of Chigurh’s bloody victims is in the room. “No,” Moss replied, after a long pause.

“I think you do,” Chigurh retorted. There is that feeling of redundancy too when Trinidad and Tobago kick start each World Cup qualifying campaign. We seem to be doomed even before the opening whistle. The skepticism is not totally without merit either. A tiny nation with an undeveloped domestic set-up and more pannists than registered footballers. It would be foolhardy to take the likes of Mexico, Costa Rica and the United States for granted or, for that matter, even the supposedly-lesser lights of Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Jamaica.

The odds are stacked against us from the time the fixtures are drawn up. But that is what makes our successes—moderate or otherwise—so special. If we all pool resources, if the players find the right chemistry, and if we share a common dream, then maybe, just maybe, fate would smile on us. Trinidad and Tobago cannot barge through the door to a World Cup finals as Brazil or Germany are expected to. We can only do the right things and hope for that slice of fortune to make the difference.

It happened in 2005 when Stern John scored that decisive double against Mexico to take us to the Playoffs. Dennis Lawrence, all six-foot seven of him, had never scored a header in the red, black and white strip. Not until the magical evening in Bahrain. Hutson Charles had two such moments in the 1990 World Cup qualifying campaign, while Kerry Jamerson’s thunderbolt against Guatemala took the “Strike Squad” to the brink of a spot in Italy.

Leo Beenhakker’s “Soca Warriors” and Everald “Gally” Cummings’ “Strike Squad” earned that luck. There was less to choose between Cummings and Dutchman Leo Beenhakker than one might think.

Both coaches poured healthy portions of self-belief, discipline, harmony and desire in their squads. They were stubborn, charismatic men who were able to get their dressing rooms and then a nation to believe in the success of their philosophy. But what do we make of their Colombian successor, Francisco Maturana? It would be foolhardy to mock his coaching know-how. Maturana, a qualified dentist, created two Colombian World Cup teams that caught global attention in the late 1980s and early 1990s and introduced the wider public to exotic figures like silky playmaker Carlos Valderrama, enigmatic striker Faustino Asprilla and an outrageously flashy goalkeeper, Rene Higuita. But it takes more than ability in a tracksuit to survive the political minefield that is Trinidad and Tobago’s football. And so, on June 25 at the Centre of Excellence in Macoya, Maturana was shown the yellow card.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) suggested that the meeting between the national technical staff, the Pro League coaches and their own officials was “to ensure the release of players (from local clubs) for training and international matches without complication”. Their release was not worth the time it took to read it. It is ludicrous to suggest that the Warriors’ sluggish performance against a team of mostly part-time players had anything to do with whether local professional clubs exercised the right, as mandated by FIFA, to excuse their employees for duty within three days of an international fixture.

The notion was stupider still as the T&T Pro League went on break a full two weeks before the first qualifier, while the club supposedly least likely to cooperate, CLICO San Juan Jabloteh, did not have a single pick for either leg (It should be noted that Jabloteh have always stressed their willingness to release players for as many as two sessions a week throughout the year). T&TFF special adviser Jack Warner did not turn up at the Centre of Excellence’s Nelson Mandela Room to discuss training schedules for the year. Rather, Maturana’s competence was the topic of discussion and the two-time World Cup coach was subjected to a dressing down by men who have never coached off this island. Not that Maturana’s experience means he is always right or that the relative inexperience of the local coaches makes them habitually wrong. But, surely, the entire exercise could have been handled better.

Most offices have a suggestion box. Perhaps Warner should consider a similar way of gathering opinions without so humiliating a valuable employee. There is a precedent. Bertille St Clair was hauled before the same audience after Trinidad and Tobago scraped into the final 2006 CONCACAF qualifying group. He lasted three more qualifiers before the axe fell. Maturana has little room for error now. His vague, unconvincing responses sounded more like a bather grasping at straws than executing the breast stroke. His statement that the Pro League coaches were obliged to incorporate the local and US-based school boys he “spotted” into their programme rather than he being compelled to select the best professionals available was particularly laughable—granted, his words were delivered third hand via a translator and then the T&TFF media officer. In the same breath, Maturana asked the Pro League coaches to respect his choices despite his disdain for theirs.

For the record, his hazy picks included choosing then Jabloteh youth team goalkeeper Glenroy Samuel ahead of the club’s starting goalkeeper and 2007 MVP Cleon John, while W. Connection under-19 left back Akeem Adams won a national cap before he had even trained with his club’s reserve team. Several senior players have moaned publicly that the best squad was not being selected while his tinkering has allegedly unsettled the dressing room. The perceived influence of his assistant coach, Anton Corneal, is another source of disquiet. Maturana arrived as an insightful revolutionary. Now, he appears emasculated. Trinidad and Tobago’s football headquarters is no easy place for bold men. The chances for success were always slim. But with the various factions so divided—players, administrators, coaches and the government—it seems nigh impossible. Maturana must regain confidence quickly so as to get the most from his ideas. But time is against him and, more likely than not, he would be fired first. Unlike the 2006 campaign when Beenhakker inherited a settled pool of players from St Clair, the next boss must start from scratch with Guatemala, Cuba and the US waiting anxiously to test the newly-laid foundations.

And we all know how that is going to end, but we will pray for a miracle. Life can be unpredictable sometimes. So, too, sports. Right? In case you are wondering, Moss died in “No country for old men”, although not by the hand expected. Touché.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:14:42 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Has Maturana lost his mojo ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:03:21 AM »
Great Article

Offline TTR- 78 Batch

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:11 AM »
Great great article.

Have me wondering when T&T would finally get a coach so we can really start this journey. Lets stop fooling ourselves Manturana is not taking us anywhere. Manturana is a good coach. We need much more than that. We need a wise old fox, with no fear of loosing a coaching job. We need a preacher, to preach his footbal doctrin throughout T&T and make us all believers. We need nerves of steel, someone brave enough to watch a god like Latas, and tell him "you on the bench today" without fear of repercusion. We need a man who could look at a reporter fix in he eyes, and tell him he asking a stupid question, without putting water in his mouth or using an interpreter. A man who will hire his own assistant, his own scouts, his own team. Then and only then, we, the Soca warriors, will have the slightest of chances to once again say with pride  "WE REACH"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 10:55:32 AM by TTR- 78 Batch »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:40:36 AM »
Great Article

We expect nothing less from Lasana.... :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »
W. Connection under-19 left back Akeem Adams won a national cap before he had even trained with his club’s reserve team.

And man want to know why they have dissent and grumbling in the camp between players.

Steupssss.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:13:11 AM »
Dais real bullsh!t... real real bullsh!t....  >:(

....... de man ent self give we a spoiler warning and sell out the movie  ;D

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
"His vague, unconvincing responses sounded more like a bather grasping at straws than executing the breast stroke."

Where these straws coming from to grasp? They have straws in the water or what? If he is using a swimming analogy he should have maybe referenced something related to drowning or staying afloat.

Dis is the great article y'all talking about? Big steups.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
"His vague, unconvincing responses sounded more like a bather grasping at straws than executing the breast stroke."

Where these straws coming from to grasp? They have straws in the water or what? If he is using a swimming analogy he should have maybe referenced something related to drowning or staying afloat.

Dis is the great article y'all talking about? Big steups.

to me the article had the potential to be a classic, but some below average slip ups here and there brought it down..

in addition to that one you mention there, another example:

the notion was stupider still as the T&T Pro League went on break a full two weeks before the first qualifier

sometimes it seem like he was trying a lil too hard.

but i like really like the analogy he did on no country for old men.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »
I appreciate that he try hard. But unfortunately like a beautiful diamond, the value just dropped due to the significant flaws.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
Dreaaaaaaaad, I never realised we had so many literary critics on this site.

It remind me of when the whole "Soca Chutney Warriors" thing came up and every man jack turn ethnomusicologist

to paraphrase Andre Samuel

I bazodee for it!
:rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
Ahmm... allyuh... "clutching at straws" is a swimming analogy. He used it correctly.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
Ahmm... allyuh... "clutching at straws" is a swimming analogy. He used it correctly.
Doh study dem nah...they read the entire article and all they get from it is it had grammatical errors...BIG STEUPS!!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »
Doh study dem nah...they read the entire article and all they get from it is it had grammatical errors...BIG STEUPS!!!

is not about that...

the article boss..

is just when i read that great first paragraph entrance and the build up i was expecting a journalistic masterpiece, but i just find he let it slip a lil bit along the way.

anyway, daz a personal opinion and is just minor matters..

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »
I said the article was decent, but flawed.

How would you feel if you watch a football match on ESPN and they call a counter attack a fast break? I am sure you would be bothered. It just sticks out.

Honestly I don't know the origin of the phrase, and if I am wrong I willingly admit my ignorance. But unless in the old days they used to fish drowning people out of the water with straws (what???) I can't see it being a swimming analogy.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »

How would you feel if you watch a football match on ESPN and they call a counter attack a fast break? I am sure you would be bothered. It just sticks out.

Honestly I don't know the origin of the phrase, and if I am wrong I willingly admit my ignorance. But unless in the old days they used to fish drowning people out of the water with straws (what???) I can't see it being a swimming analogy.

the 'straws' yuh does sip yuh juice with eh de only definition of 'straws'..

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
check the origin

from this Book
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »
check the origin

from this Book
'

Like I said, I am an @$$.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
I still don't think anybody has a misalignment with the ethos he is trying to communicate.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:13 AM »
Straws floating. I didn't have that image in my head atall.

Sincerest apologies to L Liburd.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »

Like yuh never read "The Students Companion" in primary school or what?
It is from the metaphor "a drowning man will clutch at staws"...in other when you in a desperate situation, you will do or say anything to stay alive.
well yes

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »
familiar with the phrase, not the origin. I always had the image of a man hanging off the side of a mountain grasping for something.

That water image never entered my head.
But I'll try to know what I talkin about before I open my mouth again.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »

I didn't read West Coast's link... but think of in the old days of shipwrecks.  When ah man drowning and desperated to stay afloat if among de flotsam all he could find is straws, then he'd grasp at that too.  So the phrase is meant to connote desperation.  In that regard the analogy/application isn't off.

...that said I agree with the gist of the criticism.  Lasana is a very good writer and a man whom I consider to take his craft seriously.  Unfortunately sometimes he comes off as trying a bit too hard with his prose and this was one such occasion...the article is over-wrought.

Personally I too found it detracted from the article, but for most of the men on here they won't (and probably rightly so) be distracted by that.  The substance of the article is on point and that is all that most care about.  Too often form triumphs over substance, so if we actually getting a journalist equall adept at both, but who rarely ever falters on the substantive side then we happy for that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 10:31:37 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:07 AM »
We need a wise old fox, with no fear of loosing a coaching job. We need a preacher, to preach his footbal doctrin throughout T&T and make us all believers.

Good point! In case we forgot, both Leo and Wim had the courage to speak their mind like it or not. Especially Leo! I for one, would like to see Wim come back.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »
We need a wise old fox, with no fear of loosing a coaching job. We need a preacher, to preach his footbal doctrin throughout T&T and make us all believers.

Good point! In case we forgot, both Leo and Wim had the courage to speak their mind like it or not. Especially Leo! I for one, would like to see Wim come back.
That right there may be the issue...those who challenge get the axe....eventually. The puppeteer doh like it when the puppet answer back
well yes

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Problem with that is the coach has to have a big enough reputation for Jack to respect him. And those big coaches are too expensive for us.
Leo was an exception

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
Did u he ever have a mojo?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
honestly, that "straws" metaphor catch me too and the reason is that in mixing metaphors, lasana uses the term "bather."

His vague, unconvincing responses sounded more like a bather grasping at straws than executing the breast stroke.

a bather implies a level of proficiency in the water. someone that is drowning is seldom referred to as a bather - (unless there are other factors that are causing the bather to drown ... like a shark  :devil:).

with lasana's continuing references to maturana as a "qualified dentist," he's basically saying he's out of his element. but what is that element? coaching football or handling public relations in the english-speaking world of T&T football? both? just looking for some precision here.

Maturana must regain confidence quickly so as to get the most from his ideas. But time is against him and, more likely than not, he would be fired first.

making the way for who ??? 

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
No, he need to be a dentist,for when the team gets there teeth kicked een .

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
No, he need to be a dentist,for when the team gets there teeth kicked een .

lol
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>