March 28, 2024, 10:55:50 AM

Author Topic: !6 yr old getting 4.25million  (Read 1437 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
!6 yr old getting 4.25million
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
A’s agree to terms with Dominican prospect Inoa

By DIONISIO SOLDEVILA, Associated Press Writer

Buzz Up PrintSANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP)—The Oakland Athletics and prized 16-year-old pitching prospect Michael Inoa agreed Wednesday to a minor league contract with a $4.25 million signing bonus.

That is an A’s record for a signing an amateur player. The 6-foot-7, 205-pound right-hander is widely considered the top prospect in his country and much of Latin America and is scheduled to play in the Dominican Summer League.

Oakland likes Inoa’s athleticism and he already has a fastball clocked in the mid 90s.

“Michael has a chance to be a very special pitcher in the major leagues,” A’s general manager Billy Beane said. “Even at this early age, he is a very polished pitcher with three above-average pitches and a fluid delivery. We are very excited about this young man’s potential and look forward to watching his growth, both personally and professionally, in the years to come.”

Inoa was visibly thrilled when he spoke at a news conference.

“I feel very, very happy because my dream to turn into a professional player has become reality,” Inoa said.

He said he hopes to follow the example set by fellow Dominican Pedro Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner.

“Pedro is my idol,” said Inoa, adding he intended to train hard to possibly surpass the achievements of the Dominican star.

Beane and the A’s have been upgrading their efforts in the Dominican over the past year. He and a group of A’s executives including owner Lew Wolff visited the Dominican Republic last month to scout and evaluate Inoa.

“There is no question that Michael is an impact prospect,” said Raymond Abreu, the organization’s director of Latin America operations. “In my opinion, he’s the most impressive Latin America player since Felix Hernandez (2002). As a pitcher, he has effortless mechanics with loose arm action on all his pitches and a clean, easy delivery. He’s an exceptional athlete and he throws a very heavy fastball.”

AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in Oakland, Calif., contributed to this report.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: !6 yr old getting 4.25million
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:44:05 PM »
Good!! pay de youth
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
6 ft 7,he cyar play basketball.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »
6 ft 7,he cyar play basketball.

Why?

Playing baseball as a pitcher yuh playing every 5-6 days... yuh doh have tuh run too hard.  Develope 3-4 pitchers and proceed to make millions fuh de next 10 yrs... provided yuh ent throw out yuh arm.  Not ah bad gig

...best believe my son getting ah ball and glove when he reach, lol

1]; } ?>