May 12, 2024, 04:26:02 AM

Author Topic: American coaching junior Soca Princesses.  (Read 12917 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
American coaching junior Soca Princesses.
« on: July 04, 2008, 06:54:02 AM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago's junior Soca Princesses, the national Under-17 girls football team, have been strengthened two weeks before World Cup qualifying by the inclusion of 16 foreign-based players, among them Jessica De Leon, the 15-year-old daughter of celebrated former national midfielder Leroy De Leon.

The 16 are part of the 28-member T&T squad that will play in the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup qualifiers, at home between July 17 and 26. Yesterday, De Leon was unveiled among 11 American-born players of T&T parentage and five from Canada who arrived here on Saturday, following a 10-day training camp in Tampa, Florida.

Twelve home-based players, including prolific striker Mariah Shade and hard-kicking midfielder Karyn Forbes, are also in the squad. However, some of the players who were in the team that won Group "B" of the Caribbean qualifying competition last year, including skilful midfielders Elizabeth Ng Wai and Jinelle Kissoon, could not match the physical strength of the newcomers, and so have not made the cut. De Leon, an attacking midfielder/striker, said there are consequences to being the daughter of a former top national player.

"There is a lot of pressure. I feel that I have to perform my best and give it all every time that I am on the field..that someone is always watching. He (her father) told me play like a De Leon and keep his name going on."

Three high-profile American coaches have been added to the T&T technical staff. American Randy Waldrum is head coach, while Robert "Butch" Lauffer is his assistant. They will work alongside national women's coach Marlon Charles, while William Thorp has been brought in to work with the goalkeepers, Ricarda Nelson (Manager), Dexter Williams (Equipment Manager) and Dave Isaac (Trainer). The American coaches have been here since May 5.

While in Tampa, T&T played five matches against top teams, winning twice, drawing twice and losing once. Janelle Mc Gee score a double and captain Mariah Shade and Natasha St Louis got one each in the 4-0 win over St Leo-based club CP USA. The local girls also defeated Jacksonville Youth Soccer Association Girls team 3-1. They drew 1-1 with Tampa’s RSL and 1-1 with Florida Rush’s Under 18 Girls Team. The team’s only defeat came against Countryside U18s 1-3. TTFF Technical Director Lincoln Phillips has also played a significant role in the team's development over the past few weeks. Coach Waldrum simulated the schedule his girls will have to contend with in the CONCACAF qualifiers, having them play a game every other day. Exact match conditions, even down to the playing of national anthems, were reproduced.

T&T will vie to be among three CONCACAF teams qualifying for the first-ever FIFA Girls Under-17 World Cup, scheduled for October 28-November 15, 2008. Brazil, England, Germany, France, Denmark, Colombia, Japan, Paraguay, South Korea and Chile have already qualified.

The junior Soca Princesses have been drawn in CONCACAF Group "A" with Costa Rica, El Salvador and USA. Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and Puerto Rico are in Group B. T&T's opening match is against El Salvador, on July 18 at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

Yesterday, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Port of Spain, T&T Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser Jack Warner said it is costing TT$3.7 million to host the CONCACAF qualifiers. Warner told the T&T players that they had gotten everything that was required for preparation and that much was expected of them. He urged them to give 150 per cent in every match.

T&T Squad; club/birth place: Saundra Baron (Greenboro S.C./USA), Rhea Belgrave (MBAA/USA), Jessica De Leon (Sereno F.C./USA), Latifa Kelly (MBAA/USA), Janelle McGee (Vanden F.C./USA), Ashley Mullins (Stars of Mass./USA), Taylor Mimms (Sachen Blazers/USA), Danielle McPhun (CASL/USA), Shahamin Nunes (Bayside Flames/USA), Natasha Prentice (Delco/USA), Shakirah Salandy (Charlotte S.C./USA), Rebecca Cuthbert (Ajax Storm/Canada), Sidonia Hoareau (Brams United/Canada), Arin King (W. Rouge Storm/Canada), Camille Pereira (Ontario Lynx/Canada), Stephanie Williams (Ajax Storm/Canada), Tiana Bateau (San Juan Jabloteh/TRI), Karyn Forbes (Signal Hill Sec./TRI), Cassey McKenzie (San Juan Jabloteh/TRI), Mariah Shade (Petrotrin/TRI), Sharice Arthur (Real Dimension/TRI), Natasha St Louis (Real Dimension/TRI), Afiya Matthias (San Juan Jabloteh/TRI), Kayla Taylor (Petrotrin/TRI), Camille Borneau (Joe Public/TRI), Rehanna Omardeen (St Joseph Convent/TRI), Chrystal-Anne Taylor-Lewis (Joe Public/TRI), Tanieka Welsh (Maple Leaf INT./TRI).

Video

Click Here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:06:04 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 16 foreign base on TnT U17 women's squad
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:19:59 AM »
TRINIDAD and TOBAGO'S junior Soca Princesses, the national Under-17 girls football team, have been strengthened two weeks before World Cup qualifying by the inclusion of 16 foreign-based players, among them Jessica De Leon, the 15-year-old daughter of celebrated former national midfielder Leroy De Leon.

I wonder if this means that we will see his son, midfielder Nicholas De Leon, being called up for T&T in the future. He was in the US Olympic Development Program West Regional Team, and will be playing ball at the University of Nevada Las Vegas this year.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: American coaching junior Soca Princesses.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »

While in Tampa, T&T played five matches against top teams, winning twice, drawing twice and losing once. Coach Waldrum simulated the schedule his girls will have to contend with in the CONCACAF qualifiers, having them play a game every other day. Exact match conditions, even down to the playing of national anthems, were reproduced.

Interesting team composition, coach selection, and training approach.  That is the damn thing self. I like the training approach here. This team given the players background, training methods and  North American influence may be a very different looking team on the field than any other national team. I will be home to take in these matches.

Our local coaches could learn a thing or two here.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »
A.B

See what you highlight there I also like that approach. In other words...you getting them "accustomed" for the exact thing they going and face.

The "special one" Jose Morinho also uses this approach in his training. His sessions last for 90 minutes and replicate each phase of the match, from kick off to final whistle. The scrimmages also have games such as score two in the last 5 minutes etc and the session is intensified.

Another thing which may be unfortunate for the local girls is that they didnt make the cut.

However, some of the players who were in the team that won Group "B" of the Caribbean qualifying competition last year, including skilful midfielders Elizabeth Ng Wai and Jinelle Kissoon, could not match the physical strength of the newcomers, and so have not made the cut.

I found both of these girls were comfortable on the ball and were skillful but yes they were both thin.

However again its not a charity and if they cyar take the jammin....well what yuh go do?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »
Nice video up to the point when JackAss start talking.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »
I wonder whose brainchild was this,who did the planning,put it together,funding it,scout these players,select the Coaches and staff,did the technical director have a part to play in this?just asking these questions for the benefit of the forum because things don't happen just so.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »

Randy is still the head coach of Notre Dame. Both Him and Lauffer have been working with Kendall Reyes and Anthony James, who was in Trinidad with his college team in May( Youngstown State University), on establishing the foreign trinis from Canada and the US. He is a well respected coach in the US. You all may not remember this but them two trini brothers have been making this recommendation now for almost two years. So its good to see that the federation have finally made the move.
It is costing them some major dollars though. Lets hope its money well spent.
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »
Randy and Lincoln go way back so he was the natural choice for the job and his success in the US made it easy to sell to the federation. Once they were selected they got in touch with Kendall and James to assist them in establishing the foreign players. While James was in Trinidad with his college team back in May he met with Randy and Lauffer to go over the game plan for the selection of the foreign players.Since high school was still in session in the US, the plan was to hold the camp in Tampa in late June at a time when the international trinis would be available. Randy told Lincoln what he needed and they basically addressed these needs. So Lincoln has been in the fore front with some of the planning.

Sometimes men post stuff on local coaches who are not ready to handle such projects. Little do they that these two men I mentioned above were  heavily relied upon by these international coaches for advice and input.

This has been in the making for almost a year now. So lets see how we do in the tournament. We still have to deal with the US team. Its a team that James has assisted in the development of almost 7-8 of those players. Them fellas and them is real laid back men so they would never let anyone know how involved they have been in this whole process and they didn't even take a consulting fee:)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 03:07:27 PM »
I'm not usually one for women's football (it's still growing on me), but I have to admit I got excited reading this one....

It would really be something special for those girls to play at the 1st ever W.Cup at their level....Would (should) also mean alot for the program in the future.

Wish them the best!!!

p.s. ah lil slow...How do the 3 teams qualify from two groups? Is their another final group phase after this?

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
nnyman18 thanks breds for updateing the forum on the develpments taking place with the womens game,i just wanted to highlight some of the work Lincoln Phillips have been doing because he have been heavily criticized for not doing anything for Football,as some say he don't seem to have the balls.Keep it coming there will be a lot to report in the future,everything takes time,a year ago this was not possible,i like where it was said this costing some major dollars, i just wonder who funding it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:09:27 PM »
Dem gyul and dem already in camp wish dem d best
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerdad

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »
Dem gyul and dem already in camp wish dem d best

Come watch them play ,I can promise you will not be disappointed

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »
Pops ah willin we go c
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago's junior Soca Princesses, the national Under-17 girls football team, have been strengthened two weeks before World Cup qualifying by the inclusion of 16 foreign-based players, among them Jessica De Leon, the 15-year-old daughter of celebrated former national midfielder Leroy De Leon[].

The 16 are part of the 28-member T&T squad that will play in the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup qualifiers, at home between July 17 and 26. Yesterday, De Leon was unveiled among 11 American-born players of T&T parentage and five from Canada who arrived here on Saturday, following a 10-day training camp in Tampa, Florida.

Twelve home-based players, including prolific striker Mariah Shade and hard-kicking midfielder Karyn Forbes, are also in the squad. However, some of the players who were in the team that won Group "B" of the Caribbean qualifying competition last year, including skilful midfielders Elizabeth Ng Wai and Jinelle Kissoon, could not match the physical strength of the newcomers, and so have not made the cut. De Leon, an attacking midfielder/striker, said there are consequences to being the daughter of a former top national player.

"There is a lot of pressure. I feel that I have to perform my best and give it all every time that I am on the field..that someone is always watching. He (her father) told me play like a De Leon and keep his name going on."

Three high-profile American coaches have been added to the T&T technical staff. American Randy Waldrum is head coach, while Robert "Butch" Lauffer is his assistant. They will work alongside national women's coach Marlon Charles, while William Thorp has been brought in to work with the goalkeepers, Ricarda Nelson (Manager), Dexter Williams (Equipment Manager) and Dave Isaac (Trainer). The American coaches have been here since May 5.

While in Tampa, T&T played five matches against top teams, winning twice, drawing twice and losing once. Janelle Mc Gee score a double and captain Mariah Shade and Natasha St Louis got one each in the 4-0 win over St Leo-based club CP USA. The local girls also defeated Jacksonville Youth Soccer Association Girls team 3-1. They drew 1-1 with Tampa’s RSL and 1-1 with Florida Rush’s Under 18 Girls Team. The team’s only defeat came against Countryside U18s 1-3. TTFF Technical Director Lincoln Phillips has also played a significant role in the team's development over the past few weeks. Coach Waldrum simulated the schedule his girls will have to contend with in the CONCACAF qualifiers, having them play a game every other day. Exact match conditions, even down to the playing of national anthems, were reproduced.

T&T will vie to be among three CONCACAF teams qualifying for the first-ever FIFA Girls Under-17 World Cup, scheduled for October 28-November 15, 2008. Brazil, England, Germany, France, Denmark, Colombia, Japan, Paraguay, South Korea and Chile have already qualified.

The junior Soca Princesses have been drawn in CONCACAF Group "A" with Costa Rica, El Salvador and USA. Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and Puerto Rico are in Group B. T&T's opening match is against El Salvador, on July 18 at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

Yesterday, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Port of Spain, T&T Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser Jack Warner said it is costing TT$3.7 million to host the CONCACAF qualifiers. Warner told the T&T players that they had gotten everything that was required for preparation and that much was expected of them. He urged them to give 150 per cent in every match.

T&T Squad; club/birth place: Saundra Baron (Greenboro S.C./USA), Rhea Belgrave (MBAA/USA), Jessica De Leon (Sereno F.C./USA), Latifa Kelly (MBAA/USA), Janelle McGee (Vanden F.C./USA), Ashley Mullins (Stars of Mass./USA), Taylor Mimms (Sachen Blazers/USA), Danielle McPhun (CASL/USA), Shahamin Nunes (Bayside Flames/USA), Natasha Prentice (Delco/USA), Shakirah Salandy (Charlotte S.C./USA), Rebecca Cuthbert (Ajax Storm/Canada), Sidonia Hoareau (Brams United/Canada), Arin King (W. Rouge Storm/Canada), Camille Pereira (Ontario Lynx/Canada), Stephanie Williams (Ajax Storm/Canada), Tiana Bateau (San Juan Jabloteh/TRI), Karyn Forbes (Signal Hill Sec./TRI), Cassey McKenzie (San Juan Jabloteh/TRI), Mariah Shade (Petrotrin/TRI), Sharice Arthur (Real Dimension/TRI), Natasha St Louis (Real Dimension/TRI), Afiya Matthias (San Juan Jabloteh/TRI), Kayla Taylor (Petrotrin/TRI), Camille Borneau (Joe Public/TRI), Rehanna Omardeen (St Joseph Convent/TRI), Chrystal-Anne Taylor-Lewis (Joe Public/TRI), Tanieka Welsh (Maple Leaf INT./TRI).

Video

Click Here.

wow dem raiding girls before the us or canada take them.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:21:20 AM »
Coops believe it or not Jack is the one who sign off on the funds their salaries. Weary they actually not raiding the US and Canada for the overseas talent I will admit that them fellas and them got the trini American/Canadian who either couldn't make their final pools in both countries or were not part of their respective national team programs. However, its a start to future great things. The players home by training and playing with these overseas players will learn a lot and it would only make them better. It will also open doors for future American/Canadian trinis. It is my hope as the players get better home that the federation will become less dependent on the overseas players. Teams like Mexico and Canada took that route in the beginning and look at where they are to date.

Right now ah real happy for we women's football. I have been wanting to see them take this approach for almost two years now. We have some good players home and abroad and it makes sense to use all of our resources.

Kicker as for the top three teams, they will take the top two from each group. So it is my hope that its we and the US coming out of group A and you got to believe it might just be Canada and Mexico. I ain't trying to hate just being a realist.
     A                              B
1.USA Trinidad 2      1 Canada     2 Mexico

Finals    USA vs Canada ( they are in)

Third Place Trinidad vs Mexico( winner goes)

So I say US, Canada and Trinidad :)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
Coops believe it or not Jack is the one who sign off on the funds their salaries. Weary they actually not raiding the US and Canada for the overseas talent I will admit that them fellas and them got the trini American/Canadian who either couldn't make their final pools in both countries or were not part of their respective national team programs. However, its a start to future great things. The players home by training and playing with these overseas players will learn a lot and it would only make them better. It will also open doors for future American/Canadian trinis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my initial reaction as well. Let's not kid ourselves, from the trend I am seeing from the  quality and skilled players of TNT heritage, who live abroad is that if they have an opportunity to play for the USA or Canada, we will not get a sniff from them on our teams.

What we  probably have here is a collection of players who  did not get a camp invite or who did but did not make the cut. How ever, given their training, coaching, level of play, they ought to be a notch higher than what is happening on the local front.   Being rejected by your country should be another motivation to want to 'prove' your worth and to re-culture your understanding and appreciation for the country of your ancestral heritage.

In  'minority' developmental models of development (Cross & Helms),  one would see that it is very typical for  some minority children to reject their parents' ethnicity and move to adapt the norms and mores of dominant culture. Sometimes this is aided by some parents who wanting the best for their kids, push them into a different lifestyle. When a cataclysmic  event happens (i.e. rejection or one is made to feel like an outsider in their own  country or rejection from the  dominant culture), that individual may then be more readily acceptable of the heritage.

Either way, once more even though this looks like a very positive gesture and move  by our TTFF warlord, there is potential for  success and for this man to come out 'smelling like roses.'

I beg the question: Why is the TTFF not actively exploring  this level of  scouting and invitation  to the elite athletes  prior to these players  trying out for  USA or Canada? Let's not wait until players are  rejected or  until they have to make a choice, let's  show that interest while they are at the grassroots' stages.

Staying positive, 'home is home' and it is reassuring that despite setbacks, TNT  could still offer  these players an opportunity to realize a DREAM. And with that it is  a case of 'you scratch my back and I will scratch yours'
Cric crack the story ends.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 06:19:40 PM »
I hear yuh brother but its a good thing. Canada, Mexico, the us men's team, Spain just recently have all benefited from this move. We have to start somewhere. I know Randy will come out smelling like roses. As to why we didn't make this move a long time ago. I have been pushing this theory now for over two years. I mentioned two trini men who coach in the US who could have stepped in and done the same job or even better to what these present coaches are doing. I just hope that we keep on in this direction. Eventually we should become less dependent on the foreign trinis

Just two weeks ago I had a chance to see Melee Attin Johnson play. If we could produce that caliber player in trini in the women's game then we have places to go. Four years ago I saw her or the first time when I came to trini. She is a much better player today and I know there is people already talking to folks out here to try and find her a team in the new womens league that will be starting in 2009.

Trini have some real nice female players. We must know focus on trying to produce even more players in the next 10 years

Offline soccerdad

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »
Coops believe it or not Jack is the one who sign off on the funds their salaries. Weary they actually not raiding the US and Canada for the overseas talent I will admit that them fellas and them got the trini American/Canadian who either couldn't make their final pools in both countries or were not part of their respective national team programs. However, its a start to future great things. The players home by training and playing with these overseas players will learn a lot and it would only make them better. It will also open doors for future American/Canadian trinis.

You are making some assumptions about these girls that in some cases can not be further from the truth, some of the girls were to be in their regional camps the same week they were in Tampa. In the right time you will find information out about some of these girls, that they are not rejects. The process for getting on to the USA national team starts out with numbers in the thousands. Some girls choose not to go thru the process, some may not be part of the process because they don't fit the profile that is being looked at. In America and Canada unlike in Trini a black female playing soccer is a rare site. Do not assume that these girls non-particpation in the US National pool is a sign of their skill levels,  sometimes it is just a sign of their lack of connection. If you believe that for one minute a process that is controlled for the most part by individuals with their own individual agendas can pick out the absolute best 18-24 players out of 30-40 thousand girls you would be wrong. In America you will have Local State teams with 10 of the 18 girls playing for the same team, and often that team is coached by that State Coach or one of his croonies. That is not to say that the US State teams are not competive the are but make no mistake the 18 girls you see are not always the best or the only 18 who can play this game.  Many of these girls return from ther regional camps and tell stories of being placed in the back fields of tryouts and never evaluated for the 5 days they are there. The US system is far from perfect but for now it does manage to put out a good product, but I can assure you that it does not ID the best at all times. There are girls whose parents can not make the financial committment to such an undertaking, others who don't necessarily buy into the State label that enables you to go to regional camp to even hope to being identified.  Until you understand how a girl is identified  in America your assumptions about these girls would be best left until after the games are played. In time you will find out that some of these girls are not on the US or Canada national team because of their skills or ability to play the game, sometimes it just LIFE. I will be back on here after the US game, I Think then you will see what you got. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:11:53 PM by Tallman »

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »
Soccer Dad you are spot on. We should not refer to these players as rejects. Not all of them were affiliated to the youth programs here in the US and Canada! I was one of the people who played a part in their selection to the team. So I am not just bumping my gums. However, there were also some of them who didn't make our regional or youth national teams here in the US who were indentified. There is nothing wrong with a trini american player not making the US/canadian national team and trying out for the trinidad youth national team.
As I stated before there are a few countries who have benefited from this.

The most important thing is that this move is a good thing and we now have a team that has a chance to make it in the top three. So the next few weeks will for trini girls soccer

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 07:35:09 PM »

You are making some assumptions about these girls that in some cases can not be further from the truth, some of the girls were to be in their regional camps the same week they were in Tampa. In the right time you will find information out about some of these girls, that they are not rejects. The process for getting on to the USA national team starts out with numbers in the thousands. Some girls choose not to go thru the process, some may not be part of the process because they don't fit the profile that is being looked at. In America and Canada unlike in Trini a black female playing soccer is a rare site. Do not assume that these girls non-particpation in the US National pool is a sign of their skill levels,  sometimes it is just a sign of their lack of connection. If you believe that for one minute a process that is controlled for the most part by individuals with their own individual agendas can pick out the absolute best 18-24 players out of 30-40 thousand girls you would be wrong. In America you will have Local State teams with 10 of the 18 girls playing for the same team, and often that team is coached by that State Coach or one of his croonies. That is not to say that the US State teams are not competive the are but make no mistake the 18 girls you see are not always the best or the only 18 who can play this game.  Many of these girls return from ther regional camps and tell stories of being placed in the back fields of tryouts and never evaluated for the 5 days they are there. The US system is far from perfect but for now it does manage to put out a good product, but I can assure you that it does not ID the best at all times. There are girls whose parents can not make the financial committment to such an undertaking, others who don't necessarily buy into the State label that enables you to go to regional camp to even hope to being identified.  Until you understand how a girl is identified  in America your assumptions about these girls would be best left until after the games are played. In time you will find out that some of these girls are not on the US or Canada national team because of their skills or ability to play the game, sometimes it just LIFE. I will be back on here after the US game, I Think then you will see what you got. 
      :applause: :applause: Trust me this is a guy that knows what goes on in the American system,America have so many players that they can do anything and still come up with a decent team.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »
In the same breath if your post was meant for me. I BETTER BE VERY FAMILIAR WITH HOW THE ODP PROGRAM AND YOUTH NATIONAL TEAM PROGRAM OPERATES IN THIS COUNTRY  SINCE I AM A REGIONAL HEAD COACH AND US YOUTH NATIONAL TEAM COACH WHO HAD A PART TO PLAY IN THE IDENTIFICATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS WHO ARE HIGHLIGHTED

US U17 NATIONAL TEAM

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alexa Gaul (Naperville, Ill.), Taylor Vancil (South Elgin, Ill.); Kelsey Wys (Coral Springs, Fla)
DEFENDERS (9): Morgan Brian (St. Simons Island, Ga.), Amber Brooks (New Hope, Pa.), Cloee Colohan (West Point, Utah), Abby Dalhkemper (Rockville Center, N.Y.), Crystal Dunn (Rockville Center, N.Y.), Alexis Harris (Plano, Texas), Meagan Morris (Montclair, N.J.), Julia Roberts (Fredrick, Md.), Anne Steinlage (Grand Haven, Mich.)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kathryn Bennett (Clyde Hill, Wash.), Olivia Klei (Pleasanton, Calif.), Kristen Mewis (Hanson, Mass.), Samantha Mewis (Hanson, Mass.), Sydney Payne (Lutz, Fla.), Rachel Quon (Lake Forest, Ill.), Erika Tymrak (Bradenton, Fla.)
FORWARDS (5): Tani Costa (Honolulu, Hawaii), Victoria DiMartino (Massapequa, N.Y.), Samantha Johnson (Palmdale, Calif.), Rachel Nuzzolese (Upper Brookville, N.Y.), Courtney Verloo (Tualatin, Ore.).

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »
Coops if yuh around I will be depending on yuh for tournament updates becuase I will be in camp working with the U16 regional ODP youth players. All I want is for we TRINI girls to finish in the top three. We both know that will do a whole lot for womens football in trini.  :) :) :)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »
nnyman18 not taking anything away from you,i think you are doing and have done a very good job in assembling a decent squd of players for the U17 Women's national team,due to being involved in the American system myself i agree it's a very good one,it's a patern we should follow the problem will be to impliment it here.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »
Coops if yuh around I will be depending on yuh for tournament updates becuase I will be in camp working with the U16 regional ODP youth players. All I want is for we TRINI girls to finish in the top three. We both know that will do a whole lot for womens football in trini.  :) :) :)
       I will definitely follow this team as much as i can but i myself is in the middle of Camps for the Summer,i'm booked up for the next six weeks starting from this week here,around this time it's usually quite busy for Soccer in the US.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
ehhey lehe meh  say this: I am not saying these girls are rejects; I am alluding to the same thing as Soccer dad is mentioning for whatever reasons, be it political be it systematic  , these girls  did not get an opportunity to fulfill their dream in the land in which they are residing BUT  sweet TNT have  beckoned them to return to  a far deeper  commitment..... an ancestral land to represent.

You know what North America's loss could be our gain. I will be home next week and I will be at all their games supporting!!!!!!!

Offline soccerdad

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
In the same breath if your post was meant for me. I BETTER BE VERY FAMILIAR WITH HOW THE ODP PROGRAM AND YOUTH NATIONAL TEAM PROGRAM OPERATES IN THIS COUNTRY  SINCE I AM A REGIONAL HEAD COACH AND US YOUTH NATIONAL TEAM COACH WHO HAD A PART TO PLAY IN THE IDENTIFICATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS WHO ARE HIGHLIGHTED

US U17 NATIONAL TEAM

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alexa Gaul (Naperville, Ill.), Taylor Vancil (South Elgin, Ill.); Kelsey Wys (Coral Springs, Fla)
DEFENDERS (9): Morgan Brian (St. Simons Island, Ga.), Amber Brooks (New Hope, Pa.), Cloee Colohan (West Point, Utah), Abby Dalhkemper (Rockville Center, N.Y.), Crystal Dunn (Rockville Center, N.Y.), Alexis Harris (Plano, Texas), Meagan Morris (Montclair, N.J.), Julia Roberts (Fredrick, Md.), Anne Steinlage (Grand Haven, Mich.)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kathryn Bennett (Clyde Hill, Wash.), Olivia Klei (Pleasanton, Calif.), Kristen Mewis (Hanson, Mass.), Samantha Mewis (Hanson, Mass.), Sydney Payne (Lutz, Fla.), Rachel Quon (Lake Forest, Ill.), Erika Tymrak (Bradenton, Fla.)
FORWARDS (5): Tani Costa (Honolulu, Hawaii), Victoria DiMartino (Massapequa, N.Y.), Samantha Johnson (Palmdale, Calif.), Rachel Nuzzolese (Upper Brookville, N.Y.), Courtney Verloo (Tualatin, Ore.).

My response is not intended to defend or accuse only to inform. I can tell you that your role as a regional head coach is like being a judge at first glace your role may seem powerful, but not as powerful as the cop. You can only dispense justice to those bought in front of you the lowely cop on the street has the real power he will decide if an individual is even put in the system. likewise a regional coach can only administer a decision on a girl that is put in front of him. a coach standing on some cold field in the middle of October at some local playground or field has the real power he or she will decide  who will pass through to a state team and only then will  you even get an opportunity to judge a particular girl . Therein lies the problem there are State teams that have shown little to no turn over from u-13 thru u-16. In addition the girls you named above, absent one of them mirrors the typical US player. These are good players some of them are Great, but these are the ones that you were permitted to see. The others left their last State tryout 3 years ago in tears and vowed never to put themselves thru a process that is inherently unfair or at best uninformed.  I have seen most but not all of the players you highlighted play, they belong there, but I do not believe they are the only one's. As some point with some many girls and so much talent it becomes more a matter of chance then skill.  The ODP program is becoming antiquated. 10 years ago it was sufficient because the level of particpation and skill was in it's infancy, soccer in America was playing second class to almost any other sport, and while it still does on the professional level the number of American kids starting soccer at age 4 has grown by leaps and bounds, that having been said ,the number of players who have similar skills as the players you mentioned above has also grown, what has not grown is the 18 spots on the national team 18 is the same number is was 10 years ago. if I had 50 thousand kids to start with absent just total incompetence I will always wind up with a competitive team.  I am taking the Trini girls to take this thing. to those that don't believe I can only say Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson, Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston, NY Giants vs NE Patriots.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »
For me to sit here and think that the ODP program is a full proof program is ludicrous. There are still other players out there that we miss out on each year. Over the past 10 years we have not depended on the ODP system as the only means to select players. We travel to various states throughout the country to look at players. As you know there at 50 states in the US. Ii have been to 48 of them due to football. During the year my focus is on the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Eastern Pa, Eastern New York, Maine, Maryland,  Massachusetts, New Hampshire New York West, New Jersey, Pa West Rhode Island Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. We take recommendation from coaches and go in to these areas to see these players. We travel to high school games to evaluate players, we travel to tournaments to see various players. We do mini camps in these  states to evaluate players. There have been times players have been brought into the national team who were never a part of the ODP system. We still have a lot of work to when it comes to the selection of players in the US. However, I would say that our record shows that we have not been doing that bad. We are always trying to find ways to make it better. I can also assure you that there are other countries who will also admit that there are other great players that they have missed out on. Don't forget about the club or high school coaches who are disenchanted with the ODP process and discourage their players from attending as well.

You really don't have a clue as to my role over the past 10 years in the ODP program.
I don't take the role of the club coach or the high school coach lightly when it comes to these players. They have the most influence over them. All I have done over the years is tried to work closely with them. I maintain an on going relationship with these players and their coaches throughout the year. I will not sit here and say that I am in touch with every single club or high school coach but the folks in this game who know me know I do things much differently to a lot  of people. Your following quote  proves how much you don't know what my function is in football in this country

your role as a regional head coach is like being a judge at first glace your role may seem powerful, but not as powerful as the cop. You can only dispense justice to those bought in front of you the lowely cop on the street has the real power he will decide if an individual is even put in the system

I will just end here because at the end of the day we both have the best interest at heart for the trini player. You can take your own advice though don't knock what you have no idea about. If you knew me on a personal level you will know that I do things a bit differently when it comes to player development and my involvement with youth players throughout this country.
These brother complete real miles over the past 18 years when it comes to women’s football in the US.

WHEN YOU HAVE A MINUTE WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE TYPICAL AMERICAN FEMALE PLAYER FOR ME AS WELL. I WAS NOT QUITE SURE WHAT YOU MEANT.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »
interesting,little thread,some informative discussion.Soccerdad you nnyman and others seem to have a lot of confidence in our girls.Seeing that you'll so knowledgeable about the girls and their competition,how will you'll rate our chances of qualifying for the world cup?......1-5 with 5 being the highest.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »
Royal I will give us a 3 or 3.5. I am a little concerned about mexico in a third place game. I like our chances though

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »
The ball is round ladies and gent's !!! ::) Any given day , any one can beat anyone !! :o
The hiring of these two high profile coaches from the USA is a huge coup to the program.
Mr Warner through Mr Phillips have finally done something that all of the TTFF should be proud of !!
Not only is the team getting invaluable structured training , the whole system from top to bottom is being set up for
future years to come. Having the 12th fan ;D on the pitch (home field fans) will spark all the Soca Princesses to perform at their best every minute of every fixture !! I four one will be front and centre cheering at each match !!

Cheers   19

Go Princesses Goooooooooooo !!!!

1]; } ?>