March 28, 2024, 05:16:55 AM

Author Topic: 1st billionaire in the caribbean..."soon come"  (Read 41834 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1st billionaire in the caribbean..."soon come"
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:47:28 PM »
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/467706

Kicking off his Sandals

BUTCH STEWART

Jamaica has produced some extremely wealthy expatriates with a Toronto connection, including AIC Ltd.'s Michael Lee-Chin and Ray Chang of C.I. Fund Management Inc., who both reside in the GTA.

Chang is the chancellor of Ryerson University and donated $5 million to the institution, and Lee Chin made a $30 million donation to the Royal Ontario Museum. But while both men made the bulk of their fortune in Canada, Gordon "Butch" Stewart is Jamaica's first homegrown would-be billionaire.

In 1992 he was hailed as a national hero after he pledged to pump $1 million (U.S.) into the Jamaican economy, helping to halt a run on the Jamaican dollar that had been devaluing rapidly.

Two years later he took over Air Jamaica, the island's disgraced government-owned national carrier that had been dubbed "Air Cocaine" by Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

After investing millions of dollars in upgrades to the airline, Stewart returned it to the Jamaican government two years ago following a decade of losses.

TIMELINE

1941: Stewart was born in Kingston on July 6.

1960s: Works his way up to become sales manager of the Curacao Trading company.

1968: Sets up Appliance Traders Ltd., founded as an air conditioner service and distribution firm

1981: Buys the run-down Bay Roc hotel in Montego Bay and turns it into the first Sandals.

2006: Makes his son Adam, then aged 25, the chief executive of Sandals.

Today: 20 resorts, including 12 Sandals, four Beaches, two Grand Pineapple Beach resorts and a new luxury brand called Royal Plantation.
Butch Stewart, Jamaican king of the luxury-included vacation, turned an 'insane' hotel venture into 20-resort Caribbean empire
Jul 26, 2008 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (1)
Tony Wong
Business Reporter

Gordon "Butch" Stewart is considered by some to be Jamaica's most powerful man.

The one-time air conditioner salesman – Jamaica's answer to Britain's Richard Branson – is on track to become the Caribbean's first homegrown billionaire.

Stewart, the country's largest employer outside of the Jamaican government, runs more than two dozen diverse companies, while wielding huge economic and political influence as the top foreign exchange earner on the island.

But with his lilting Jamaican accent and folksy, self-deprecating warmth, the 67-year-old entrepreneur, who grew up on a beach in Ocho Rios, comes across as more Jimmy Buffett than hard-nosed businessman.

"You know, half the time I didn't know what I was doing when I first started out, man, but it somehow works out," he says in an interview in a Toronto hotel suite.

Many Canadians are intimately familiar with Stewart's products, although they may not identify them with Jamaica.

When he bought a decrepit hotel near the airport in Montego Bay almost three decades ago, most people, including some of his own relatives, thought he was, to use his own words, "insane."

"I think if you live in the Caribbean, everybody harbours this secret dream to own their own little hotel," Stewart says. "Actually, it was a good thing we didn't know anything about hotels otherwise me might never have made the leap."

But after spending millions on renovations, he transformed the site into the first of what would become the world's most popular all-inclusive chain. He named it Sandals.

"I really had no clue," Stewart says. "We were basically just losing money every day. But we started to tinker around and eventually figured out what people wanted."

The hotel's first dinner service, for 27 guests, took 4 1/2 hours and the salad came at the end, but Stewart kept hammering away.

Sandals Resorts International (he was going to call it the less elegant Club Bay Roc, based on the name of the original hotel, but decided against it) ended up spawning an empire that now includes 20 resorts throughout the Caribbean.

Stewart owns numerous other companies, including the Jamaica Observer newspaper and Jamaica's largest appliance company. At one time he owned Air Jamaica, the island's national carrier.

Not bad for a confessed beach bum who skipped school to go fishing and whose dad, Gordon senior, nicknamed him Butch after a cartoon bulldog.

But Stewart's entirely relaxed persona is deceptive, obscuring the fact he's a master marketer, not unlike Branson, who's a friend, or Donald Trump – billionaire salesmen who have used the force of personality to become their brands' best ambassadors.

"He is one of the great global hoteliers, an operator ahead of his time, and he's still innovating," says Toronto hospitality consultant Joel Rosen, CEO of Horwath HTL. "He took the Club Med concept and outdid Club Med. And when the customer he had in the '80s changed and became more successful, he changed as well."

This week, Stewart was in Toronto flying the flag for his chain, which includes the Sandals, Beaches, Grand Pineapple Beach and Royal Plantation brands.

With the global economy in a tailspin, Canada's relatively sane economy has produced the company's fastest-growing market. Canadian travel agents presented Stewart with an award for favourite all-inclusive, his ninth in a row. His chain was also Canadians' top pick in the categories of favourite hotel chain and best environmentally friendly chain.

"Everywhere you go there seems to be this doom and gloom, but Canada seems to be doing well," Stewart says. "It shows you the effect of a strong economy. We are seeing a lot more well-heeled Canadians at our resorts."

Only five years ago, Canada accounted for 7 per cent of the company's revenues. Today, it's closer to 17.5 per cent, thanks to a Canadian dollar near par with the U.S. greenback.

Value-conscious Canadians love sun-drenched all-inclusives, where meals, drinks and entertainment are pre-paid. But they tend to travel to budget-priced resorts in markets such as Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Sandals, where top-end rooms can cost $2,000 per night, is not for the thrifty, unless your definition of parsimony is butler service and an infinity pool outside your room.

Stewart's latest property, being developed in the Bahamas, is the logical extension of relentlessly moving upscale: a private island with perhaps no more than 30 villas, similar to Richard Branson's famed Necker Island retreat.

"You know, after all these years, I haven't heard anyone say I don't want any more luxury in my rooms," says Stewart, whose company has spent more than $200 million (U.S.) over the past three years upgrading and expanding properties.

"I don't have any money left in the bank," he says. "I keep putting it back in the properties."

With villas including butlers and private chefs, this is not your father's "all-inclusive." That's a name Stewart hates, preferring instead "luxury included."

But there are storm clouds over this particular paradise.

Competitors, particularly in the low and middle end of the market, have studied Stewart's playbook and launched thousands of new rooms.

While last year was the best ever for the privately held company, Stewart's bold expansion comes as global stock markets are reeling from a massive credit crunch. Oil, though retreating from record highs, is cutting into Caribbean travel.

"I think it can be a concern, because you have less capacity for airlines to move people to the region," Stewart says.

He's been through tough times before, and triumphed. Right after the 2001 terrorist attacks on New York city, when hoteliers were reeling from vacancies, he claims Sandals' sales actually jumped, since customers flock to familiar brands and the Caribbean is not exactly a terrorist hotbed.Still, Stewart's reign has not been without controversy. He famously backed down from banning gays at his Sandals resorts several years ago in response to a public outcry, including a Toronto Star article that highlighted the discriminatory policy at his resorts. The controversial rule did nothing for the island's anti-homophobic reputation or for the Sandals' brand.

"We really didn't know better. We thought at the time it would ruin the concept. But there's a little thing called change," says Stewart. "It was the best thing we ever did when we reversed the policy."

The ability to adapt has been a Stewart hallmark. Key to his success has been the courage, or perhaps unabashed brazenness, to take a good idea from someone else and run with it.

He doesn't claim to have invented the all-inclusive, giving credit to Club Med. But he does figure he has just about perfected it.

"I loved the energy of Club Med. But they continued what they were doing and I decided to take the concept but add more luxury."

The first luxury all-inclusive in the world he credits to Garfield Weston, brother of Galen Weston of Loblaw fame. When Weston opened Frenchman's Cove to the public in the 1960s, the once-private beach on Jamaica's northeast coast was the most glamourous spot in the Caribbean, Stewart says.

"The champagne was free and they say you could literally take a champagne bath. I'd like to take a champagne bath."

That's not something Stewart has on his resort menus, at least not yet. But over the years, he has pretty much done everything else. Every business trip becomes an opportunity for research.

"When I was in Italy in 1983, I was in a hotel and they had a hair dryer in the room. I had never seen that before."

Within two months, all his rooms had a hair dryer. Over the years, Sandals would continue to innovate, becoming the first Caribbean hotel to feature Jacuzzis, then satellite television service and swim-up bars. Today, he's trying to ensure his company is the first Caribbean brand to meet the strict environmental standards of LEED certification.

"We're a private company. So we can act quickly without worrying about shareholders. We don't have a big bureaucracy to deal with."

Several of Stewart's children have joined the family firm. Adam, who was born the year the first Sandals opened, was made CEO two years ago. At 27, he's likely the youngest hotel chain CEO anywhere.

"I already started my business when I was 26, so I figure it's about time," Stewart says, when asked why he's handing over the reins so quickly.

"I'm really just an old fisherman," says Stewart, who sold his 138-foot Lady Sandals yacht two years ago for more than $7 million and is looking for a replacement.

And though he has the trappings of the good life he purveys – on this day he's wearing a gold Hublot watch you could trade in for a Honda Accord – he is not defined by it. At least that's what he tells you.

His absolute favourite thing, he says, and you almost believe him, is to sit on the verandah of his house "playing dominos and really just chatting about shit."

"I'm a simple guy."

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:08:31 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 1st billionaire in the caribbean..."soon come"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »
how much drug lord sabga worth.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »
nice how in a country that 95% black, the 3 richest people to come from it chinee or white.

wha wrong with dis picture?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »
Two words: George Stiebel.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »
Two words: George Stiebel.
not a bad place of abode
I could live there if I had too :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »
  Lawrence Duprey in the richest man in the Caribbean could probably buy out this guy 10 times.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »
 Lawrence Duprey in the richest man in the Caribbean could probably buy out this guy 10 times.

well Fishs....you make me sit back in my chair with that statement
and all along i was thinking Anthony N Sabga

so now since this would be a minute by minute thought, I might as well go do some research on them 2 suckers and find out who have one more cent than the others.

btw you talking assets or monetary value or both ???

ah coming back

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:45:33 AM »

so now since this would be a minute by minute thought, I might as well go do some research on them 2 suckers and find out who have one more cent than the others.

ah coming back

Actually both . The Duprey empire literally owns Republic bank and Angostura ltd ( he is the major share holder by some distance}
Clico is the biggest Caribbean insurance company.
CL Financial and CLico Investment bank have assets of over 20 billion TTD
He owns almost all of the Methanol , Urea and Amonia production in TT valued at over 10 billion USD
He owns Home Construction Ltd
He owns Valpark
He owns Trinicity Mall.
He owns Millenium Lakes.
He owns part of Palm island in Dubai
He is part owner of Methanol plants in Oman and Qatar.
He owns every Government of TT (ah cant remember everything he owns so ah throw that in)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
nice how in a country that 95% black, the 3 richest people to come from it chinee or white.

wha wrong with dis picture?

well to be fair, the other two fellahs make dey whole fortune outside de caribbean, and they business is not caribbean based...and if it make yuh feel better..one is ah black chinee
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

PROJECT DATA MO3000
Project Company: Oman Methanol Company LLC (OMC)
Owners:
>> 50% MHIL (Methanol Holdings International Ltd.)>> 30% OMHC (Oman Methanol Holdings Company Ltd.)
>> 20% FMIL (MAN Ferrostaal Methanol International Ltd.)
Plant capacity: 3,000 ton per day (1,050,000 tons per year)
Operation/License: Johnsson Matthey/PLC
Low pressure methanol synthesis processes
Main Plant Units:
>> Process unit
>> Operating material systems
>> Methanol tanks
>> Buildings
>> Natural gas measuring station
projects & contracting
Work on the first methanol plant (M03000) in Oman is in full
swing. MAN Ferrostaal is responsible for the engineering and procurement
of the 523 million dollar project. After its completion,
the MO3000 plant in Oman will produce more than 1 million tons
of methanol per year. Engineering, procurement, construction
and assembly are all running to schedule. After the financing
contracts were signed and the project contracts came into effect
in March 2005, the hot phase of the procurement of critical plant
equipment began. The prerequisite for punctual ordering was for
the engineering to be started early by the Japanese engineering
company Toyo.
Specifically, the following progress was made in the early summer
of 2006: buildings 80 percent completed, roads 90 percent completed
and foundations for the reformer, waste heat boiler, reactor
and refinery column 100 percent completed. The installation
of the main pipe bridge as well as the assembly of the methanol
storage and water tanks is also completed. The mechanical completion
of the plant is scheduled for the start of the third quarter
of 2007.
OFF TO A GOOD START IN OMAN
METHANOL PLANT IN OMAN
THE ECHO 1/2006 19
TRANSFERRING THE TRINIDAD MODEL TO OMAN
Oman provides excellent conditions for the construction of a
methanol plant: good investment climate, outstanding infrastructure
and a supply of natural gas. Furthermore, the sultanate
offers local partners willing to invest in petrochemicals. The project
company Oman Methanol Company consists of three strong
partners: the Methanol Holdings (Trinidad) Limited (the owner
of the Trinidad plants, the Oman’s OMZEST Group and MAN
Ferrostaal AG. As with the plants in Trinidad, the project will
be financed mainly by KfW loans backed by HERMES credit
insurance.
MAN Ferrostaal is responsible for the offshore part of the project,
the engineering services and the procurement for the complete
plant. The onshore component, chiefly the local construction and
commissioning activities, will be handled by the Oman company
Oman Proman Contracting & Trading LLC (OPCT). The target market
for the methanol produced in Oman is the chemical industry in
Europe and Asia.
Holger Lexius
THE TRINIDAD MODEL
Over the last 15 years, MAN Ferrostaal and its partners have
evolved into the second-largest producer of methanol, producing
over 4 million tons per year. The company has stakes in five
methanol plants in Trinidad, four of which they built as a general
contractor.
MAN Ferrostaal developed a new financing model in which the
company itself acquires an investment in the plant, thereby
assuming part of the risk. The essence of this concept was that
MAN Ferrostaal had to secure every link in the value-added
chain, from processing the methanol, to transport, to marketing
of the product.
In 2000, MAN Ferrostaal began planning the world’s largest
methanol plant, the M5000, also to be built in Trinidad. The
necessary equity capital was financed through the cash flow of
the existing methanol plants. The property value of the almost
entirely unencumbered “old” plants also represented additional
collateral for the foreign financing of the new M5000 plant. This
so-called structured project financing is a combination of some
aspects of project financing with components of classic corporate
financing.
This model, whereby the general contractor takes an equity
stake in the project, turned out to be advantageous to the
clients in the case of the four plants built in Trinidad: all of the
plants were finished ahead of schedule and within the planned
budget. All of the plants have attained or exceed the agreed
capacities and are producing according to the specifications,
with a very high level of operational availability. With this business
model, MAN Ferrostaal changed the role of the general contractor
in the construction of large industrial plants. The focus in
building the plant was not only on turnkey delivery, but also on
all other elements that were essential to the plant’s success.
METHANOL
In recent years, the market for methanol has experienced a
stable, upward trend. While the price per ton of methanol was
still around EUR 125 at the beginning of 2002, it is currently
over EUR 250 due to the closing down of plants in the USA
and Europe. Methanol can be used either as environmentally
friendly fuel or as a raw material for further processing in the
chemical industry. Thus, methanol can be found in plastics,
synthetic textiles, pigments, coatings and many other chemical
products. At normal temperatures and atmospheric pressure,
methanol is a liquid and is therefore easy to transport over long
distances by ship and by truck.
01. Service buildings, one main
pipe bridge and two water
tanks – the MO3000 plant
02. The administrative building.
03. Welding a water tank.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »

ah coming back

Actually both . The Duprey empire literally owns Republic bank and Angostura ltd ( he is the major share holder by some distance}
He owns almost all of the Methanol , Urea and Amonia production in TT valued at over 10 billion USD
He owns Valpark
He owns Trinicity Mall.
He owns Millenium Lakes.
He owns every Government of TT (ah cant remember everything he owns so ah throw that in)

okay i'll take this information of Duprey and go along the same lines for Sabga
note, getting information online about ANSA McAL is like pullin teeth from ah toothless man....steupse
but one thing i know for sure...is ANSA McAL have over 33 companies in Trinidad and Tobago alone. They have businesses in the Caribbean as well as US. But ah coming back wid something...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:27:17 AM by TriniCana »

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »

ah coming back

He owns Valpark
He owns Trinicity Mall.
He owns Millenium Lakes.

okay i'll take this information of Duprey and go along the same lines for Sabga
note, getting information online about ANSA McAL is like pullin teeth from ah toothless man....steupse
but one thing i know for sure...is ANSA McAL have over 33 companies in Trinidad and Tobago alone. They have businesses in the Caribbean as well as US. But ah coming back wid something...

As they say Sabga ent want nutten with duprey

Alil anecdote.

Trini Scotch magnate sues to clear name

Certainly not in T&T, but in many other parts of the world, Lawrence Duprey will qualify as what VS Naipaul once described as “clamorously black.”

He looks that black, in his global-ranging involvements with business people. All of them, we may assume, lack the genius of T&T identity fine-tuning that would label Mr Duprey a “red” man.

Amid that soulful T&T negro-spiritual lamentation about black dispossession, black economic failure, and educational falling-back, Lawrence Duprey is not held up as any icon.

Last week, he even went to court to regain such of his good name as might have been lost in common mouths when police had “raided” his home and some business offices in October.

During the October Budget debate, the Scarborough Hospital-Landate charges by Ganga Singh were turning the heat on Keith Rowley.

The police, who had for long left them alone, suddenly found reason to search the properties of the UNC-connected Carlos John and Lawrence Duprey.

Mr Duprey suffered the search just as he was opening the world’s largest methanol plant at Point Lisas. The timing, which ensured international coverage for the “raid”, looked suspiciously like a diversionary tactic, or a PNM scare tactic: “If you mess with me, I’ll mess with you.”

Mr Duprey chose to mix it up. He sued for judicial review of the decision to authorise the search by the Anti-Corruption Bureau police who also took away documents.

On Wednesday, his lawyer told the court: “It is a form of terrorism and it must stop.” In a pointed gesture, Russell Martineau SC did not demand return of the documents on the ground his client had nothing to hide.

It had come to that: T&T’s most daring entrepreneur, its single biggest black businessman, must live in fear of random shake-down by the police, armed with a warrant connecting him with past investments by UNC leader Basdeo Panday.

During the 2000 election campaign, Mr Duprey had appeared on the UNC platform of Carlos John. He had earlier taken over chairmanship of BWIA after Ken Gordon’s resignation in rage.

Having thus declared his political preferences, Mr Duprey’s name was flagged on the watch lists of the Anti-Corruption Bureau which, from its absorption with the UNC era, gains its most distinctive identification so far as the anti-UNC police.

The Bureau, which Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj had inspired if not organised, when he was Attorney General, is dedicated to the proposition that “corruption” is a nefarious something that took place under the UNC.

UNC association with the word has attained the status almost of a copyright. To define as corruption anything that occurred after the UNC is to violate settled understandings.

It follows that everything that took place under the UNC, and everyone involved, Lawrence Duprey and all, is subject to a prima facie assumption of corruption. But nothing that thereafter occurs under the PNM quite qualifies.

A lower level of scrutiny applies to everything that’s been going on in Government over the last three years. More eyes are simply averted, or dulled, and a much greater benefit of the doubt is conceded to those accused of corruption.

Keith Rowley was “stupid”, not corrupt, one academic judged, to allow his Landate housing project to get mixed up with the Scarborough public hospital being built by his partner, Emile Elias.

A truckload of anything, tracked from the Piarco airport to any worksite run, say, by the father of Dhanraj Singh, would long ago have attracted the sniffing hound dogs of not just the Anti-Corruption Bureau.

But having declared corruption formally over, with the passing of UNC power, many people have just gone soft.

Dr Rowley has stoutly maintained that his wife was handling Landate; that he didn’t know what was going on; but that he had done nothing wrong.

In the UNC days, even the Elections and Boundaries Commission found itself the target of lurid corruption allegations since found groundless. Mr Elias was one of those passionately crusading against the EBC.

Mr Elias this year defended Dr Rowley, to the extent of claiming that the Minister was being attacked only because he was also a black businessman.

The biggest black businessman of all, Lawrence Duprey, now finds himself so friendless in the political realm that he must seek protection of the courts.

“My client is being searched, being harassed, and that is not right,” Mr Martineau said.

Even in the UNC days, however, Mr Duprey had presented a large and inviting target to those politically opposed to Basdeo Panday and Carlos John.

Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj had lowered his lance and charged against the CL Financial windmill. He once accused the Duprey-led company of putting out a contract on his life.

Thinking to hit where it hurt, Mr Maharaj joined in the armed propaganda of Raffique Shah and others to scuttle the bid by CL-owned Angostura to buy the Caroni Rum Division.

State-owned Caroni took the biggest hit of all. It has now died the death of a rum-making nonentity.

But Angostura evolved into CL World Brands, a global-scale distiller and marketer of scotch whiskies, vodkas, brandies, and even some Trinidad rums.

Christmas shoppers responding to ads like “Better Scotch, Bigger Hams”, probably don’t know their purchases help the business interests of one black Trini who will probably never be caught dead wearing a Highlander kilt.

©2003-2004 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited
Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Sheahan Farrell

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »
He owns Valpark
He owns Trinicity Mall.
He owns Millenium Lakes.

okay Mr Fishs, ah taking where ya begin

okay dis is Sabga own.

HE owns dey following: total 46 (dat we know of)

Brewing

Caribbean Development Company Limited / Carib Brewery Limited
  Carib Brewery (St. Kitts & Nevis) Limited
  Grenada Breweries Limited

Manufacturing

Alstons Building Enterprises Limited(ABEL)
  ABEL - Air Conditioning Division
  ANSA McAL Chemicals Limited
  ANSA Polymer 
  Bestcrete
  Carib Glassworks Limited
  Caribbean Roof Tile Company 
  Penta Paints Caribbean limited
  Trinidad Match Limited 

Distribution

Alstons Marketing Company Limited (AMCO) 
  ANSA McAL Trading (Guyana) Limited
  A&R Tempro (1986) Limited
  DCI Miami Inc.  
  Brydens Distribution 
 Stokes and Bynoe Limited

Automotive

Classic Motors 
Carmax 
Burmac Machinery
Diamond Motors
McEnearney Motors
McEnearney Quality Inc.

Financial Services

ANSA Merchant Bank Limited
  Brydens Insurance Inc 
  Consolidated Finance Limited
  TATIL Life Assurance / Trinidad and Tobago Insurance Limited

Media

Trinidad Publishing Company
  Cable News Channel 3 (CNC3)
  Trinidad Broadcasting 

Services

Alstons Shipping Limited
  ANSA Technologies Limited
  ANSA McAL (US) Inc.
  Alstons Travel 
  Brydens Business Solutions Inc.
  Brydens Xpress Inc 
  Brydens Retail Inc
  DCI Miami Inc
  McEnearney Business Machines 

Real Estate

Grand Bazaar Ltd.
  Maple Development Ltd.
  O'meara Holdings Ltd.
  Promenade Development Ltd.
  Trinidad Lands Ltd

With Sabga, we will never know what company/ies he is the major shareholder of outside ANSA McAL
But if I have to go into share accounts of the Abouds, Hadeeds, De Souzas or anything Syrian I doh think we'll finish this thread dis week.

hold dis until i get more info

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »
Under all de ole talk......yuh tink dem carribbean fellahs have money to just blow on shit like  :o

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1493291.ece

Sheikh flies Lamborghini 6,500
miles to Britain for oil change

By NEIL SYSON

Published: Today

A RICH Arab sent his Lamborghini on a 6,500-mile round trip to Britain for a service.

The £190,000 supercar was put on a scheduled flight from Qatar to Heathrow – then flown BACK after the oil check.

Money was no object as the flight would have cost the owner – thought to be a Sheikh – around £20,000.

The move sparked fury from green campaigners.

An airport worker said: “This car doesn’t have a carbon footprint – more of a crater.”

The overall cost of sending the Lamborghini to London for the oil change would have cost more than £23,000.

His black-and-gold supercar costs £3,552 to service at an approved dealer – on top of the £20,000 to freight from Qatar to Britain.

The Murciélago LP640 – driven by Batman in movie The Dark Knight – arrived from the Middle Eastern country on Friday.

It cleared customs and was trucked to specialist mechanics in London for the service.

On Monday it was flown back 3,250 miles to the oil-rich state where it was collected by the owner.

A cargo handler at Heathrow blasted the car’s environmental damage.

He said: “It would have been far more efficient to fly mechanics out there.”
Horrifies

And Jenny Evans, of pressure group Plane Stupid, said: “This horrifies me. It is another example of how rich people exploit and pollute the planet because of their money.”

She said the role of the super-wealthy in climate change was not properly recognised – while poor people were rapped for going on holiday.

Friends of the Earth’s transport campaigner Richard Dyer said: “Flying a car thousands of miles for a service is ludicrous when planes are one of the most polluting ways to transport goods. We urge the individual to get their car serviced closer to home.”

Advertisement

But David Price, of Lamborghini Club UK, said: “If an owner wants to service his car in that way, it is his choice.

“I’m not surprised. Thankfully the age of excess in some areas continues.”

Lamborghini UK spokeswoman Juliet Jarvis said there could be “kudos” for a Middle Eastern owner in servicing a car in London.

She said the exclusive Italian brand had a network of authorised dealers around the world – and most cars were looked after in the country where they were bought.

But she added: “This sort of thing is not unheard of.”

Qatar Airways confirmed it carried the Lamborghini.

The cars are popular with celebs including Rod Stewart and David Beckham.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
To think that this sheik/fool is actually a ruler, somebody who supposed to excercise prudence good judgement at all times. That is his peoples legacy he flushing down the toilet.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
Duprey owns a massive hotel in South Florida as well.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »

Call de name man!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »

Call de name man!

CL Financial has assembled nearly five acres on Fort Lauderdale's beachfront for The Capri, a US$150 million hotel, time-share and retail complex. On the intracoastal waterway, it has plans to develop Palazzo Las Olas, a US$75 million Mediterranean-style residential and retail complex.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »

Call de name man!

CL Financial has assembled nearly five acres on Fort Lauderdale's beachfront for The Capri, a US$150 million hotel, time-share and retail complex. On the intracoastal waterway, it has plans to develop Palazzo Las Olas, a US$75 million Mediterranean-style residential and retail complex.
On Fort Lauderdale beach in Broward County, CL Financial, a conglomerate based in Trinidad, and Intercontinental Hotel Corp. are planning to build the Capri, a $150 million hotel, timeshare and retail complex that Dan Adache of Adache Associates, Fort Lauderdale, predicts will be the biggest undertaking of all in the area.

Adache, architect for the project, said the complex is planned to occupy most of the city block between Bayshore Drive and Riomar Street across North Atlantic Boulevard from the ocean.

The 26-story, twin-tower complex is planned to have 346 hotel rooms, 171 timeshares, 33,000 square feet of retail space, a 7,000-square-foot spa and three swimming pools.

Jorge DeLeon, an architect it Adache's office, said it is hoped that planning, zoning and building permits for the Capri can be obtained by Christmas.

de Palazzo Las Olas,is a nice place man,  http://andyweiser.com/newcon/palazzo_la.htm
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:26:41 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »
I'd like to see revenue #s for these conglomerates in the region, a CPA friend of mine at home indicated that they are very hard to come by -- interesting.  If anyone has these #s (even estimates) would be curious to know what they are.....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
hmmm so i dont have to feel worried about Clico investment banking bussing anytime soon and me loosing my few dollars.

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
hmmm so i dont have to feel worried about Clico investment banking bussing anytime soon and me loosing my few dollars.

Hmmmmmm....       ;D
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 1st billionaire in the caribbean..."soon come"
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »

Hmmmmmm....       ;D

Yuh wicked
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
I remember this thread, came around at a time when we had a game in NY vs a corp team that was sponsored by Duprey's CLF
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:33 AM »

Hmmmmmm....       ;D

Sammy's last was 5 years old (almost to the day) and you find it? you really mining Sammy's archives there  ;)
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »

Hmmmmmm....       ;D

Sammy's last was 5 years old (almost to the day) and you find it? you really mining Sammy's archives there  ;)

Nah...not so.  Believe it or not, I was actually conducting an unrelated Google search yesterday, and the top search-result led me to this post.  I couldn't help but comment on this one when I saw it. 

The funny thing is also, I didn't really even read or take-on the names of the posters here...I just read the various comments.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:51:40 AM by OutsideMan »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
just playing man.  :beermug:

that has also happened to me to .. doing internet searches and comments from the forum pop up in the results.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »
just playing man.  :beermug:

that has also happened to me to .. doing internet searches and comments from the forum pop up in the results.

:beermug:

1]; } ?>