March 28, 2024, 05:57:31 AM

Author Topic: Emancipation Day Thread!!  (Read 11166 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Emancipation Day Thread!!
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:06:09 AM »
 Did you know that-
On August 1, 1985, Trinidad and Tobago became the first country in the world to declare a national holiday to commemorate the abolition of slavery.

What does emancipation and the day mean to you? Does it have any significance to you personally?
 To my fello trinis with an east indian background does have any meaning to you personally?

I think the Concept of freedom is relevant to us now more than ever, with the amount of wealth, prosperity and strife facing Trinidad and Tobago. We have the potential for greatness but will this potential be realized?

I welcome you to share ideas, opinions and experiences here. Keep the dotishness to a minimum!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:12:38 PM by Flex »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Emancipation Day thread!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
Nice post organic
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
As long as it means a day off from work or school, I think people embrace most holidays.

On Independence day I doubt that anyone stops to ponder the significance of independence before cracking a beer and dropping a slab of meat on the grill.

With religious holidays, there may be a bit more thought regarding the meaning of the holiday itself and the desire to recognize it/celebrate it...For non-religious nat'l holidays, it's a day off from work so ppl just give thanks....

I'm not indian, but when I lived in Trini, I looked forward to Divali and Indian arrival day, as much as I did to independence day, emancipation day and whateva else there was, simply because it meant that I could party the night before, sleep in the next morning....and breeze for the rest of the day....I have a feeling that that's the common sentiment regardless of racial background. 

..Most, if not all native Americans ignore Thanksgiving for obvious reasons.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
Good post Bamboo!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »

Ah jus come from de village in de stadium, drink some beers with mih bro Brother Resistance (he was drinking mack ).
Dey have a psoter up against the jean pierre fence (an obscure location) , the postter had Ture, Kambon, Butler, Barette and Cristina King.

Ah say to mih breds "who is Christina King?" he tell mih " It look like ah fella" anyhow ah ask about 10 passerbys who that is and is only when ah hook up with ah fella call Tracy Wilson ah get the info.

So the emancipation question is " who is Christina King and what did she do for the Trinidad and Tobago African?"

Do not google the answer , ask yuh family , friends or any Trini you know.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »
Fishs,
           I did not know you know Bro. Resistence. I know from QRC and EDR. Tell him Pedro say hello!!!

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:23:09 PM »
Fishs,
           I did not know you know Bro. Resistence. I know from QRC and EDR. Tell him Pedro say hello!!!

;D ;D

Yeh I guess you did not realise I'm an old QRC man mihself.  ;D ;D
 Will pass on the sentiment.

Ah suppose ah too difficult question would be " What is Bro Resistance christian name and how he took up the moniker resistance ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:24:58 PM by fishs »

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:19 AM »

Ah jus come from de village in de stadium, drink some beers with mih bro Brother Resistance (he was drinking mack ).
Dey have a psoter up against the jean pierre fence (an obscure location) , the postter had Ture, Kambon, Butler, Barette and Cristina King.

Ah say to mih breds "who is Christina King?" he tell mih " It look like ah fella" anyhow ah ask about 10 passerbys who that is and is only when ah hook up with ah fella call Tracy Wilson ah get the info.

So the emancipation question is " who is Christina King and what did she do for the Trinidad and Tobago African?"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I eh have to google nuttin, i dont know much about her, but i think she was involved in trade unionism and i think she  migrated  from a small island. There were a few other women involved in trade union also.. cant remeber thier name.
Never heard of Barette
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I eh have to google nuttin, i dont know much about her, but i think she was involved in trade unionism and i think she  migrated  from a small island. There were a few other women involved in trade union also.. cant remeber thier name.
Never heard of Barette

A partial, she was trade union but she also had invovlment in a bigger sphere.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:29 AM »
Freedom for everyone may mean something different. I never felt the sting of massa whip, the pangs of hunger or  embarassment and anger of having him bed my wife. Emancipation isnt a release from this of slavery.
Emancipation, my freedom was the ability to go to the river with my padnas and lime with the only fear being the cutass we going to get when we reach home.

Emancipation, my freedom, was not being afraid to go gape on the front page and be hailing out all the lil douagla's and red oman passing through " oh reds, gawd let that tiger free nah it suffocating".... the only fear was that she smile back and wink cause then we woulda have to back up we talk.

Not worrying when i see 6 pm and wondering where my brother was, hoping only, that he use a condom or dat he return raj blues cause raj woulda cuss, dat was my freedom.

Going in all kinda hole all hour in de night to check ah fren, palancing with meh gold chain and meh air jordon and "ben-nin", yuh know what, not fraid ah man rob meh, and even if ah get lock neck, meh life safe.

These freedoms, i see as no longer available, so this emancipation day i see trinidad as a society which has regressed, no has progressed into a new kind of slavery. Slavery which could be  worse than those suffered by our ancestors. Its not a white- black slavery. ITS A TRINI- TRINI slavery. When surviving becomes your soul goal, part of our humanity is lost, we no longer can claim to be moral.

I want to see the return of my country's freedom. when the oft uttered "sweet sweet t&t" is relevant now, not nostalgia of when you and i were young or or a refrain from a song..!!

Happy Emancipation Day!!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:47:43 AM by . »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 06:11:23 AM »
Freedom for everyone may mean something different. I never felt the sting of massa whip, the pangs of hunger or  embarassment and anger of having him bed my wife. Emancipation isnt a release from this of slavery.
Emancipation, my freedom was the ability to go to the river with my padnas and lime with the only fear being the cutass we going to get when we reach home.

Emancipation, my freedom, was not being afraid to go gape on the front page and be hailing out all the lil douagla's and red oman passing through " oh reds, gawd let that tiger free nah it suffocating".... the only fear was that she smile back and wink cause then we woulda have to back up we talk.

Not worrying when i see 6 pm and wondering where my brother was, hoping only, that he use a condom or dat he return raj blues cause raj woulda cuss, dat was my freedom.

Going in all kinda hole all hour in de night to check ah fren, palancing with meh gold chain and meh air jordon and "ben-nin", yuh know what, not fraid ah man rob meh, and even if ah get lock neck, meh life safe.

These freedoms, i see as no longer available, so this emancipation day i see trinidad as a society which has regressed, no has progressed into a new kind of slavery. Slavery which could be  worse than those suffered by our ancestors. Its not a white- black slavery. ITS A TRINI- TRINI slavery. When surviving becomes your soul goal, part of our humanity is lost, we no longer can claim to be moral.

I want to see the return of my country's freedom. when the oft uttered "sweet sweet t&t" is relevant now, not nostalgia of when you and i were young or or a refrain from a song..!!

Happy Emancipation Day!!

Bamboo aka Hoe aka Organic, I think your conclusions about a new type slavery are also reflected in Bob Marley's comments on mental slavery in "Redemption Song"

Redemption Song

Old pirates, yes, they rob i;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took i
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the and of the almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.
Wont you help to sing
These songs of freedom? -
cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? ooh!
Some say its just a part of it:
Weve got to fulfil de book.

Wont you help to sing
These songs of freedom? -
cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.
---
/guitar break/
---
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Wo! have no fear for atomic energy,
cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?
Yes, some say its just a part of it:
Weve got to fulfil de book.
Wont you help to sing
Dese songs of freedom? -
cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs -
All I ever had:
Redemption songs:
These songs of freedom,
Songs of freedom.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
Happy Freedom Day to all

And I pray and hope we all can be free of the chains we put ourselves in on a daily basis :beermug:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »
I forget....what does happen on emancipation day?

any parade or procession?...or it does turn into a real 'eating bake and shark on maracas' kinda day
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »
I forget....what does happen on emancipation day?

any parade or procession?...or it does turn into a real 'eating bake and shark on maracas' kinda day

My guess is that people use it as a day to think about their heritage whilst recovering from a serious hangover.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »
Big procession from d Lara 2 d Hasely
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »
Weary since you are the only local who I can ask ah question and not be bullshit roun' much

You hear anything about this?

One of my friends email me with this side note asking me what I thought bout that. I had to remind the girl I outside looking in, so I throw back the question to her....still waiting ah answer

"Kafra Kambon saying he's going to organise a boycott of those companies which do not support emancipation celebrations/events"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »
Did not hear anyting but I can find out and let u know

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »
Did not hear anyting but I can find out and let u know

actually no doh worry nah....
jus wonderin if he succeeded in his plans :-\
and since when in dey employment standards handbook it was written dat companies mus comply wid dress code per holiday ???

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Is d dress code hetalkin bout I thought was financially supportin d venture. What rubbish I sick like a dawg these days so 2 go 2 wuk yday I just thow on someclose not meh usual african wear so I was not celebratin d holiday loud steupssssssss

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
girl is cluth he vex bout. how some companies not allowin dey staff to dress up for dey occasion....ya ever see more ?
big man like he ? steupse

ah waiting for indian arrival day, lemme see if he go open up he ass and talk again

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »
Dem fellas 4 real y he eh come up wit a strategy 4 dem lil black boys in d east west corridor 2 own some cloth store rather than killin out each other loud loud steups

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
'Cana I eh know bout de clothes thing ... However, there is this from today's Express (in the story regarding free funding for PhD graduates (an initiative that I find problematic on a few fronts ... NEVERTHELESS ... ah wonder what Patrick feel bout electoral term limits???):

Chairman of the Emancipation Support Committee Khafra Kambon once again sounded the warning that certain top companies which refuse to provide financial support for annual Emancipation Day celebrations will face an organised boycott.

If these companies continue not to financially support Emancipation Day celebrations, the names of the companies will be publicised, Kambon also warned.

"What is taking place in this society, in many areas of that private sector...is that they have total contempt for African people in society and the reason they have that contempt for us is because we allow them to get away with that disrespect for us as a people," said Kambon
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:12:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
Excerpt from Express:

"When African people elect a black government to do their affairs. They should," he said, "Deal with all the problems of all Trinbagonians but do not forget the Africans. He said the country is at a time when young men in (the ghetto) are choosing their coffins, as Maximus Dan describes in one of his songs.

"It seems to me as we look around, the state of black Trinidad and Tobago is not as healthy as it ought to be. Even the government has acknowledged black youth is in crisis. I suggest that the legacy of slavery has left deep scars," Cudjoe said.

He suggested a massive mobilsation of black organisations, social workers and university students to assist in transforming minds of young people.

Statements from Prof. Selwyn Cudjoe

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
asylum I heard is cloth datz why ah ask weary if she hear
and ah get dat information from 2 people (one dis morning). and both ah dem doh know each other :-\

so again datz why ah ask weary.

thanks for clearing it up doh :beermug:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
'Cana I eh know bout de clothes thing ... However, there is this from today's Express (in the story regarding free funding for PhD graduates (an initiative that I find problematic on a few fronts ... NEVERTHELESS ... ah wonder what Patrick feel bout electoral term limits???):

Chairman of the Emancipation Support Committee Khafra Kambon once again sounded the warning that certain top companies which refuse to provide financial support for annual Emancipation Day celebrations will face an organised boycott.

If these companies continue not to financially support Emancipation Day celebrations, the names of the companies will be publicised, Kambon also warned.  Eh???
"What is taking place in this society, in many areas of that private sector...is that they have total contempt for African people in society and the reason they have that contempt for us is because we allow them to get away with that disrespect for us as a people," said Kambon  eh???

ah doh understand dat whole paragraph....help please

And furthermore last month big on the newspapers the ministry of education begging parents of students who made below 30% in the SEA to bring their kids to summer classes....ah sure half of dem ain't even reach in front the school gate. Next 7 years these same children looking for jobs and can't get none why ??? Of course the private sector will stare down your resume especially the education part.....Throw blame man, throw blame.

Kambon bawl at the parents first....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
Thany u Trinicana d camp dem bust wide open dey go do d exam next yr score under 30 again and end up in a sec sch 2 fustrate some set ah teachers and it go b d govt fault.

Dey gettin books, transport, breakfast and lunch plus doh not in sufficient quantities but it have social workers in school what dey want bloodddddddddd

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
Wars can be fought on more than one front simultaneously. Social responsibility and corporate responsibility can geh lick out at de same time. Why not?

The structure Kambon dealing with dey bears no less responsibility than the other structure dealing with academic outcomes. Further, the structure Kambon dealing wid operates to the equal detriment of qualified resumes coming from those who come from environments where the social responsibility element has been handled. 

Kambon's underlying premise rests on Africans being substantial economic consumers but seemingly gehhin no returns invested by way of even symbolic support for an event that, like it or not, is one (among others) that defines Trinbagonian society.

It's an interesting proposition. My caution is that it's a proposal that ought to be refined in its pronouncement because it's a provocative and sensitive issue.  I'll use the phrase TT doh like me to use ... public education - in the sense an expansive view of civic responsibility and social education - is required.

What Kambon knows is that the lack of prestige of the lower social economic strata outweighs their market consumerism ... such that no tangible consequences flow from being contemptuous to that constituency. However, the truth is ... consequences do flow although presently they have not presented themselves at the doorstep of the captains of industry.

It's not a question that the private sector MUST contribute ... it's a question of them accepting the morality of contributing.

I suspect that beyond the perceived contempt there is also an unwillingness (from within the private sector) to be seen aligned or assisting with certain ppl toplining the Emancipation remembrance.

Let's see whether the rubber hits the road.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:04:46 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »
None but ourselves can free our minds.....

....den some bawling it ain't have no jobs, nobody ain't want to hire meh cause ah black or brown. But you fail to add "black or brown and uneducated" Granted it really don't have jobs out there, and really is not what you know, is who you know. BUT still make yourself marketable nah?

Government and private sectors hiring chinese and foreigners to do dey wuk in construction and ah know half ah allyuh go say is 'cheap labour' dat why.
Not ah shit ah dat....ah carpenter salary is bout 3000-4000 TT ah month. Dey mason is 4000-4500 TT....cheap labour what ?
Another way the money leaving Trinidad.  Continue liming by the corner man ::) You think the Government care who gets the money ? Is who doing the business or helping the business grow and how fass it can be accomplished. If you don't want to be part of that, keep liming by dey corner man

Public and private sectors in part with the Government forking out thousands of dollars for Apprenticeship programs advertising all  over the place. Where are the young people ?

Having dat craftsmanship 'degree' after your name, nobody cyah make style on ya nuh....(ah using Bakes frien' as ah example here)
Is the same way you having ya masters degree, nobody cyah make style on ya

at dey end of dey day, is ah little bit ah common sense  ya know :-\
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:45:39 AM by TriniCana »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »
Throw this BC Pires intervew with Earl Lovelace into the mix.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »
Throw this BC Pires intervew with Earl Lovelace into the mix.

Talk about a conversation @ cross-currents! Pires angling in one way, Lovelace cutting the wave on a different take.

1]; } ?>