March 28, 2024, 11:12:47 AM

Author Topic: Housing Development Corporation Thread.  (Read 24530 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Housing Development Corporation Thread.
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
Woman questioned in HDC fraud

A woman working closely with a top politician is the suspect in a corruption case being investigated by Anti-Corruption Bureau officers.

The woman was visited by investigators two weeks ago and asked to explain the allegations by several people, who claimed they were asked for as much as $10,000 to be given preference to get a house being constructed by the Housing Development Corporation (HDC).

There have been several arrests and prosecutions of people asking for money with the promise of an HDC house.

Three months ago, Housing Minister Emily Gaynor Dick-Forde warned people not to give money to anyone, saying that the allocation of houses was a random-draw system".

The Express was told that there were claims being made that relatives were being allocated several homes on a particular street in new developments in South Trinidad and that no random draw was taking place.

A case was being built against the woman and the Director of Public Prosecutions would be asked to consider the evidence, the Express learned.

Trinidad Express
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:39:28 AM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Woman questioned in HDC fraud
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
A following dis 1 closely
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
$156M HDC site Abandoned, Vandlised

Published: Sun, 2011-01-16 20:04
Shaliza Hassanali
HDC squatter Bruno Molinari.

A 59-year-old Canadian is illegally occupying one of the houses in a $156 million Housing Development Corporation (HDC) project in Chaguanas, while six Jamaicans are also living illegally on the site. The project—99 per cent complete—is overgrown with grass, while some 125,000 people are at their wits end as they wait for housing accommodation. A brief tour of the Lions Gate Development at Egypt Street, Enterprise, Chaguanas, constructed by Brave Lion for the HDC, showed several of the vandalised units covered in grass and vines. The glass windows of many units have been shattered, electrical wires severed, doors uprooted, kitchen counters smashed and tiles in washrooms yanked out.

Nearby, a group of workers was busy tying up the loose ends around a single unit on the site, which looked like a ghost town.  Even the presence of security on the site, which is also limited, has helped to deter thieves and vandals. To compound matters, at least two of several contractors hired by Brave Lion to undertake work on the site are threatening legal action due to non payment amounting to millions. Bruno Molinari, who was paid $40,000 a month by Brave Lion as a site representative, claims he too is being owed $700,000 in outstanding payments.

Squatting in HDC house

With no money forthcoming, Italian-born Molinari, who resided in Canada, said he was forced to occupy one of the incomplete HDC units after Brave Lion could not pay his $11,000 rent. “I am squatting in one of HDC’s unit,” he said, pushing open the door to his new rent-free home, which had little furnishing. During the day, Molinari would relax and prepare his simple meals in Brave Lion’s site office, an air conditioned freight container. At nights, Molinari walks across to the HDC’s semi furnished single unit which has no pipe-borne water and electricity to sleep. In a corner of one of the bedrooms stands a 4 feet by 6 feet bed, while the living room has two single chairs with a brown vinyl covering the bare concrete flooring.

• Brave Lion was awarded a $156 million contract by the HDC to construct Lions Gate Development in April 2007.

• Brave Lion eventually retained the services of Genivar to assist in providing engineering, project and construction management services.

Molinari offered big perks

Within the next few weeks, Molinari said, he would be leaving Trinidad as a pauper. “I have to cut my losses and move on.  I just want the country to know how I was treated.  I never expected this to happen.” Captivated by the island’s beauty, Molinari said he wanted to live in Trinidad, but things did not work out. Of the 30 odd countries in which he has built houses, Molinari said Trinidad has left a bitter taste in his mouth.

“I constructed house in the jungle in Nigeria and was paid,” he added. Molinari said on November of 2010, he was forced to flee a three-bedroom house at Brook Street, Lange Park, Chaguanas after the landlord was owed $110,000 in rent. Molinari said he vacated the house to avoid any confusion or being levied upon. The rental of the upscale house, a $40,000-a-month salary and the enjoyment of an $187,000 Toyota van were part of the deal Molinari said he had struck with Brave Lion upon taking up the job in September 2007.

Molinari said he was contacted in Canada by an agent of Brave Lion, who told him that his expertise was needed in building 71 three-bedroom single family units and 160 three-bedroom townhouses with an acrylic finish, which required no painting and maintenance for up to 30 years. The houses, Molinari said, are the first of its kind in Trinidad. Molinari said part of his duty was to train local labourers on the site, but because of their unwillingness to learn and work he had to seek the services of 12 Jamaicans, who were issued work permits upon arriving in Trinidad.

Shake hand deal

“When I came here to work I did not sign a contract.  It was just a shake hand deal,” said Molinari. However, in November of 2009 Molinari said his salary was stopped after hearing that the HDC was not delivering payments to Brave Lion for work undertaken. Molinari said he was asked to continue his task with the promise of being paid once the matter was settled. This he agreed to, even though Brave Lion’s office in Maraval had closed down.

He claimed he spent US$35,000 from his personal savings to upkeep himself. To compound matters, Molinari said his work permit which expired in June 2010 was also not renewed. Attempts to have the permit renewed proved futile as Molinari owed the Board of Inland Revenue $31,000 in taxes, which he could not pay. “Brave Lion had agreed to pay the taxes,” he claimed. Molinari said six of the 12 Jamaicans who previously worked on the site were also living illegally on the HDC site.

BRAVE LION: WE ARE OWED BY GOVT

Yesterday, one of Brave Lion’s directors, Joseph Azar, admitting that he knows Molinari, said those who are threatening legal action can go ahead.  “That is their right.” Azar denied that bad management led to the contractors and consultants not being paid. He claimed Government, in fact HDC was owing the company since November 2009. “What happened there was a problem that went on with the HDC.  It started there...Lack of payments from them...that caused everything to virtually run aground.”  He said the matter was now in the hands of the company’s lawyers.

“What I like for myself, I like for others.” Asked what is causing the delay in payments, Azar said, “Well, I think they should refer it back to the CEO of Brave Lion Industries who has resigned.  Then you have the COO by the name of one Mr Peter Agnelli, who happens to be in Canada.” He could not say what led to the resignation of the CEO.

Genivar waiting for $$

Vice president of Genivar Jack Shenker said his company was in the same position as the other contractors who are awaiting payments. “We are owed a substantial amount.” Questioned if the figure was millions, Shenker said, “It could be in that range.” Last December, Shenker said he held a meeting with Brave Lion, who claimed “they were waiting to settle with HDC.”

John—houses 99 per cent completed

Questioned on Friday about the project, managing director of the HDC Jearlean John had little to say. “All I could tell you is that 99 per cent of the houses have been completed.  We really have little or nothing to do there.” A HDC source said monies was not being paid to Brave Lion. 

Contractors threaten legal action

Meanwhile, two sub-contractors who are owed $4.9 million by Brave Lion Industries Ltd for works undertaken are threatening legal action. The two companies—Premium Contracting Services Ltd owned by Shivan Beharry, and R Ramdeen and Associates managed by Rajkoomar Ramdeen have indicated that their attorneys will be filing pre action protocol letters in court to Brave Lion this week. Beharry said his attorney Ken Sagar was seeking to recover $3.2 million in outstanding payments for repairs to electrical infrastructure and internal electrical works done between October 2009 and January 2010 under two contracts. Beharry said the non payment has had a serious negative impact on his business, since material suppliers and workers have not been paid.

Beharry said his company has not been able to accept further work from other agents “since acquiring credit facilities is proving to be extremely difficult as no one wants to recommend my company as a secure creditor,” while loans and overdraft facilities are steadily incurring interest. On March 26, 2010 Beharry wrote John explaining his company’s position. Ramdeen, who conducted remedial sewer works, internal plumbing and supplemental plumbing works on all units in June 2009, is claiming $1.7 in payments plus interests. Ramdeen has since retained the services of attorney Ravi Gooljar. On Friday, Ramdeen said he had run out of options and had no where to turn. “I cannot express the effect this is having on my employees, creditors and family.”

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jerlean could at pretending 2 b competent but far from.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
“When I came here to work I did not sign a contract.  It was just a shake hand deal,”

??? ???
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
“When I came here to work I did not sign a contract.  It was just a shake hand deal,”

??? ???

Yuh understand boy Dutty... :o :o  Imagine you get a contract that paying perks galore and is only ah hand shake that seal it.   I thought is only we 3rd worlders does do stupidness so....::) ::) 
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

??? ???

Yuh understand boy Dutty... :o :o  Imagine you get a contract that paying perks galore and is only ah hand shake that seal it.   I thought is only we 3rd worlders does do stupidness so....::) ::) 

That is why Patos and company needed a kick in dey backside.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That handshake deal was between Molinari and Brave Lion... government had nothing to do with that, their deal was with Brave Lion... apparently.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »
9,000 houses PNM left
By Gail Alexander

Fitzgerald Hinds The Government would not be under immediate pressure to build houses if Housing Minister Roodal Moonilal distributes the 9,000 houses which the PNM left in an advanced stage, PNM Senator Fitzgerald Hinds said yesterday. Speaking at a media conference Hinds deemed as “immoral” the Government’s move to bulldoze farmers’ crops at Chaguanas and D’Abadie to make way for housing projects. Hinds said UNC, in Opposition, had strongly condemned the PNM administration for similar action and the UNC/People’s Partnership Government was doing “precisely the same thing.” Hinds added: “We had left 9,000 houses in advanced stages, ready for purchase or tenancy by HDC clients, and I’d have thought that they would be working hastily to distribute these. But instead they are dismantling them as we’ve seen them do with Victoria Keyes, in Diego Martin.” “Housing Minister Moonilal should be busying himself to make those houses available to people and maybe then there would not be that immediate pressure to build houses.”

Hinds said: “I read with interest where a media house published that 800 units were being sacrificed for four farmers, but when farmers produce, it’s not just four of them benefiting alone from their produce, or only 3,200 people—it’s the nation that benefits from their produce.” Hinds said the nation was “resounding” in its anger at the situation regarding the farmers, considering the Government’s stated policy on food security. He said there would always be challenges regarding land use as space became limited.  He said past PNM governments had brought agricultural lands into residential use, including in St James, St Clair, and other places—as the population grew—and also at Pt Lisas for industrial purposes. He said the UNC also converted 160 Oropune acres.

Hinds added: “But we’re concerned about the immorality of this particular situation, since when we decided how we would use land they were strong in their condemnation of it and now despite promised new policy, they’re doing exactly the same thing. “Food Production Minister Vasant Bharath in Opposition strongly condemned the PNM and he’s now having difficulty with the issue and objecting from within the Cabinet.” Hinds called for Bharath to resign from the Cabinet after disagreeing with Moonilal on the land issue. He also called for Labour Minister Errol McLeod to resign after McLeod’s MSJ condemned the bulldozing.

Citing section 75 (1) of the Constitution on collective responsibility, Hinds said Cabinet members should speak with one voice. Hinds said when former PNM Labour Minister Larry Achong had disagreed with an issue, Achong had left the Cabinet. Calling on the Prime Minister to ensure Section 75 (1) was adhered to, Hinds said if she did not act, the PM would be “contributing to an abuse of the constitution and disrespect for collective responsibility.” Asked about resigning, Bharath said yesterday that ministerial appointments were the prime minister’s prerogative. McLeod, when asked if he would resign, also said: “Mr Hinds and his PNM small maxi don’t impress me at all.”

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:38:04 AM by Flex »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Keshorn housing community for Cumana
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
Could this be yet another PR stunt that is not really going to help the people of Toco?

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164788.html

Keshorn housing community for Cumana
Wednesday, August 15 2012

A HOUSING development comprising 50 units will be constructed at Cumana, the sea-side village neighbouring Toco, by the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) in commemoration of the Olympic gold medal victory of Keshorn Walcott.

Managing director of the HDC Jearlean John yesterday told Newsday that the HDC expects to put the project out to open tender next month.

The housing development was announced by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar at a welcome reception for Walcott at Piarco International Airport on Monday.

“This housing development is to be done by Ministry of Housing and HDC will bring housing and employment to Toco,” Persad-Bissessar said, adding the development would be named after Walcott.

John said there will be 50 lots, each with a three-bedroom house designed for a single family. Some units will be townhouses, others apartments. She said she could not give an estimated cost as the tender is going out next month.

Residents of the area will not be given automatic preference for occupation of the units.

Asked if residents of the Toco, Cumana area would be given priority access to the new development, John said, “the database at the Ministry of Housing will dictate that as all applicants must indicate areas of preference.”

She continued, “so persons indicating Toco/Cumana/Balandra/Rampanalgas and environs will be accommodated once they are allocated.”

Cumana falls in the marginal constituency of Toco/Sangre Grande, a seat currently held by Dr Rupert Griffith, the UNC MP and Minister of Science and Technology. Previously, the seat was held by the PNM’s Indira Sinanan Ojah-Maharaj.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Re: Keshorn housing community for Cumana
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »
Eh Pee Pee people plan this right nah doh rush proper planning please .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-06-24/hdc-foots-roodals-8m-range-rover-bill

HDC foots Roodal's $.8m Range Rover bill

One of the first issues that soon-to-be-appointed Housing Development Corporation (HDC) chairman Rabindra Moonan will have to deal with is whether he will approve the extension of a lease on a Range Rover for Minister of Housing Dr Roodal Moonilal. Moonilal currently enjoys the use of a black Range Rover leased by the HDC for $289,800 a year.

The Range Rover HSE, which carries the licence plate PCR 5656, has been leased from Furness Car Rentals. The T&T Guardian has confirmed that the HDC pays a monthly bill of $24,150 for the vehicle, while the total lease agreement for the three-year period is $869,400. Sources say the lease took effect on February 2011 and ends in February 2014. The Range Rover has been customised to include blue police strobe lights in the centre of the grill at the front and back. A police siren has also been installed.

Questions have been raised about why such a vehicle has been leased for the minister, and also why a state enterprise is financing the lease, given that the ministry that Moonilal heads has several vehicles which can be used for official government business. Apart from this, sources say other vehicles could have been leased at a much cheaper rate. Sources say when vehicles are leased, the ministers do not pay for the vehicles’ maintenance or operational costs. These costs as well as the leases are borne by taxpayers.

At the time of the approval, the HDC board was chaired by Henckle Lall and included Douglas Johnson, Gunness Sudama, Graig Davis, Reyna Kowlessar, Naddia Ali and James Lambert. Efforts to contact those board members were unsuccessful. Last year, a slew of criticism was levelled against then Food Production Minister Vasant Bharath over the purchase of a $400,000 duty-free Porsche Cayenne as the official vehicle for his ministry.

Bharath defended the purchase, saying it was not extravagant. Contacted on the matter, a government minister said if a request to lease the Range Rover had been made to Cabinet there would have been strong objection. Since the People’s Partnership government took office, ministers are now entitled to use a ministry vehicle for official purposes. This entitlement was put in place after Sport Minister Anil Roberts was involved in an accident on October 6, 2010.

Minister replies
In response to several text messages sent by the T&T Guardian, Moonilal yesterday responded by defending the use of the leased vehicle. He wrote: “The Rover is very sturdy. The vehicle was provided as a lease vehicle in keeping with (the) practice before to provide vehicle to minister. “I also use other vehicles depending on work requirements.

“As for choice, Rover is strong and equipped for the terrain. You seldom see a Rover in highway crash.” He added that Cepep also provided transport support when needed. The T&T Guardian then pointed out that such a high-maintenance vehicle “puts a strain on taxpayers, given there are other options,” to which Moonilal repled: “But Rover is very good vehicle, you should buy one if possible.”

The T&T Guardian repeated its initial question on whether Moonilal had approached the HDC board to ask it to lease the Range Rover. He is yet to respond. Asked whether he had received permission from the acting Commissioner of Police or Transport Commissioner to use the blue lights and siren on the Range Rover, Moonilal said he did not comment on matters of security.

“The devices are matters under the purview of security authorities, I don’t comment on security issues. Suffice to say we act according to the law at all times,” he texted.

Flashback

On January 17, 2012, Moonilal denied claims that his ministry had purchased a Range Rover for his use. Speaking during a Parliament debate, Moonilal said MPs are entitled to concessions on cars and most take advantage of these, using their personal funds. He said while in opposition he purchased a BMW X53 but subsequently sold it and bought a Range Rover for his personal use, using his personal funds.

Moonilal also said the Environment Ministry planned to buy two hybrid vehicles at a total cost of $600,000. To date, sources say this is yet to happen.

More info

According to the Salaries Review Commission Web site, the last pay hike for ministers and MPs was in 2006. The Prime Minister’s salary was increased to $48,000 a month; Cabinet ministers’ salaries increased to $33,000 a month and non-Cabinet ministers to $27,000. The Leader of the Opposition moved to $23,800, MPs (non-ministers) increased to $14,000 and senators (non-ministers) $10,500. Among the allowances given to government ministers are transport facilities. These include:
(i) A maximum loan of $350,000 at a six per cent per annum repayable over six years for the purchase of either:
(a) a new  vehicle with full exemption from motor vehicle tax, VAT and customs duty; or
(b) a used vehicle with full exemption from special motor vehicle tax, VAT and customs duty.
(ii) A loan to cover the cost of car insurance at a rate of interest of six per cent per annum.
(iii) A maximum loan of $20,000 at a rate of interest of six per cent per annum for repairs to a vehicle.
(iv) A transportation allowance of $4,700 per month.
(v) A personal chauffeur
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:36:28 AM by Flex »
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Squandermania? .... HDC foots Roodal's $.8m Range Rover bill
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
It damn good for all of we.

“As for choice, Rover is strong and equipped for the terrain. You seldom see a Rover in highway crash.”
Terrain? Where de ass he hadda go as the minister of housing to be concerned bout terrain?

“But Rover is very good vehicle, you should buy one if possible.”

The T&T Guardian repeated its initial question on whether Moonilal had approached the HDC board to ask it to lease the Range Rover. He is yet to respond. Asked whether he had received permission from the acting Commissioner of Police or Transport Commissioner to use the blue lights and siren on the Range Rover, Moonilal said he did not comment on matters of security.

In other words...doh question me..and hush yuh ass. Dey might try to blame Rowley for dis too...he go say Rowley dare him to do it.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
They strong man... allyuh should buy one if possible..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
He said earlier this year his Ministry did not buy it 4 him he never said an agency of the Ministry eh buy it 4 him.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
In all likelihood Moonilal will  become Political Leader one day. I cringe at the thought of him being a future PM .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:48:28 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »
In all likelihood Moonill will  become Political Leader one day. I cringe at the thought of him being a future PM .

U 4get who annoint him so he cut from d same cloth.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
So uh, I have two questions

What's the purpose of him having blue strobes?
(although russian politicians get into hot water for the same bling ting last year, so ah tink ah know)

and why does he speak without english articles in his sentences?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »
HDC owed $12.4M
By ANDRE BAGOO (NEWSDAY).

THE HOUSING Development Corporation (HDC) is claiming $12.4 million it says is owed by a contractor at work on the long-delayed Victoria Keys, Diego Martin housing project, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said as he described a litany of gaps and problems with projects in the area.

Moonilal said the HDC projects, which he said once fell under former Housing Minister (now Opposition Leader) Dr Keith Rowley, have been delayed due to a long list of problems stemming from incomplete designs.

The Housing Minister said the Victoria Keys project — which features 288 units — would be completed by August and the Chaconia Crescent and Vieux Fort projects by 2015. In relation to Victoria Keys, he said no provision has been made for garbage disposal; disabled access and residential services. There was an instruction for another storey to be added onto the complex which features three buildings.

“The instruction to extend this building was made without reference to approvals,” Moonilal said. He said there were no provisions made for street lighting and external lighting as well as telecommunications, cable, CCTV and other infrastructure such as community pathways and links. Moonilal said the project had fallen victim recently, to a contractor delay, but he did not provide specifics.

He said the HDC was seeking to get the $12.4 million sum from the contractor. In relation to Chaconia Crescent, he said a storey was similarly added to that project and variations and omissions in designs caused problems. Some aspects omitted included: external works required a car park; retaining walls; underground storage tanks; paving; lighting; a guard booth and landscaping. There were four separate contracts, resulting in oversight problems as one project management team was not appointed. The project saw, “theft and pilferage of electrical items.”

“They had serious deficiencies of design and a failure to have a scope of works,” Moonilal said. He said these gaps in design occurred while the then Government boasted about its quick record of housing. There were also missing aspects of the design for Vieux Fort including missing plans for water and sewerage; electricity; lighting; garbage disposal; retaining walls and an entrance gate, the Minister said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Housing Development Corporation Thread.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:12 AM »
No election gimmick delivery, says Moonilal
By Anna Ramdass (Express)

100 houses a week

Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal says his promise to deliver 100 houses a week from next week Saturday to December 31, 2015, is no election gimmick.

If the houses are delivered, there will be over 4,000 new Government homeowners this year.

Moonilal said this was part of the People’s Partnership policy of deli­very to the people.

He said the Housing Development Corporation (HDC), under the “sterling” leadership of managing director Jearlean John and chairman Rabindra Moonan, has been working to ensure the housing sites are completed.

“Yes, we have been working for three full years, silently along the radar, on a massive construction programme that is now bearing fruit, so that we are in a position where our construction agenda has now synchronised with our distribution policy, and we are in a position now to distribute 100 homes per week for the rest of the year,” Moonilal said in a telephone interview with the Express yesterday.

Moonilal who is also the Member of Parliament (MP) for Oropouche East and leader of Government Business in Parliament, said the keys for the first set of 100 houses will be distributed next week Saturday at the Carlson Field housing site.

He said other sites where houses will be given out include Diego Martin, Union Hall, Point Fortin, Princes Town, Chaguanas and Couva, among others.

Moonilal said 80 per cent of the houses to be distributed are new homes that were constructed from 2010 under this Government, led by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

He said a significant number of houses that were left in derelict condition from under the former People’s National Movement (PNM) regime were repaired and would also be finally given to the people.

According to Express calculations, 100 houses from March 14 to December 31 amounts to some 4,200 houses over the next ten months.

Moonilal said there are over 160,000 people on the HDC’s database, waiting for houses.

He said the ministry and HDC will continue their construction drive in the south, central and north of the country.

“I am extremely happy and exci­ted for those who will be in possession of their new homes; we are very excited that the ministry can do this this year, it has been a lot of hard work,” said Moonilal.

“I congratulate the board, led by Mr Moonan, and the management, led by Miss Jearlean John, on this historic period we will now embark upon; it is truly a sign of victory in the housing sector,” said Moonilal.

Questioned on why wait until an election year to distribute the hou­ses and whether this would not be perceived as an election ploy, Moo­nilal responded, “I’ve heard that argument and we have the option of post­-poning the distribution until after the next general election. If we do that, persons would be patient enough to know that they will get a home?”

He said the names of persons to receive a home can be given out and the houses distributed after election, but he was sure people would not want to be told to wait longer for a home for which they have been waiting years.

The minister noted some people have been waiting over 15 to 20 years for an HDC home, and part of the distribution drive will focus on some of these people, under the theme, “It’s been a long time coming”.

He said there was also a policy window to ensure all different components of society receive housing under this drive, including law enforcement officers and the differently abled.

Moonilal said the issuing of keys weekly will not be done with pomp and fanfare on every occasion.

He said the Prime Minister will be invited to the bigger functions but overall, “it will be a low-keyed and informal exercise, myself and other relevant MPs and ministers will be present. We also have a special creative distribution technique that we will be using where the distribution may not involve any Government officials at all”.

Moonilal said the fact that this Government can achieve this speaks volumes to its devotion to the people and providing to their needs.

“I am extremely proud that we can distribute 100 homes per week. I’m proud that we have opened six police stations that have been completed recently, and I’m proud of the Mayaro Fire Station, the Couva Children’s Hospital, the San Fernando Teaching Hospital, construction beginning at the Point Fortin Hospital, the Arima Hospital. We have had a great first innings and by the will of God, we shall have a second innings as well,” he said.

NO DEVELOPMENT WITHOUT CONFLICT

Moonilal also pointed out when the construction drives began, there were challenges in the forms of protests by farmers.

In 2011, some farmers who were growing crops in Pineapple Smith Lands, off Crescent Gardens, Mausica Road, D’Abadie, and Egypt Trace, Chaguanas, protested vehemently against the HDC, claiming their produce was being destroyed.

Moonilal said he feels particularly proud to have delivered the completion of the housing site at Egypt Trace.

“When I started, there was a protest that I should be fired for bulldozing crops and lands. Today, in that Chaguanas area, we have built a new city and the very people who were protesting then are now asking for houses for their children today, so I am very proud of that estate and that is national development. There can be no development without conflict,” he said.

On Tuesday, at a news conference at the Opposition Leader’s office, Diego Martin North-East MP Colm Imbert had raised concerns about the Government’s suppressing of the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) report, which should have been laid in Parliament since last April. Imbert claimed the Government was engaged in voter and house padding.

“I think he’s an authority on that, so he probably feeling that every Government will behave like this,” said Moonilal.

Asked whether the Government is involved in voters and house padding, he responded: “Absolutely not. We distribute upon what we have and the construction we had embarked upon.”

The People’s Partnership tenure comes to an end on May 24, 2015. The Parliament will automa­tically be dissolved in June. Constitutionally, general elections must be held by September this year.

Persad-Bissessar said on Monday the Government still has work to complete before she calls an election date.

The areas and the number of houses to be delivered

1. Carlsen Field 3C   701

2. Chaconia Cresent, Four Roads   96

3. Greenvale Park   346

4. La Fortune, Point Fortin   42

5. Beetham, Lot A and B   12

6. Victoria Keyes   264

7. Fairfield Est, Princes Town   574

8. Cypress Gardens, Union Hall 1,190

9. Oasis, Egypt Village 1,066

10. Hubertstown, Guapo   50

11. Trestrail Farms 1,204

12. Eden Gardens   618

13. Bon Air North 398

14. Buen Intento/Princes Town   116

15. 6th Avenue, Malick   34

16. Vieux Fort, St James   132

17. Exchange, Couva   257

19. Pier Road, La Brea   90

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
These same houses that was poorly constructed is being given out? Or did they build them like the 80 schools?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »
Form still not working.... :-\
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
From 2010 to 2015 , HDC has distributed about 4500 houses. What is the possibility of them achieving 5000 in 10 months?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
All these houses, were they built before the govt came to power or are they new contstructed by the PP ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:41:40 PM by Deeks »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »
looking good for SP now. If he can prove his tanty is Guyanese (and wear a yellow juzzy when applying) maybe.. just maybe, he can score a house.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
looking good for SP now. If he can prove his tanty is Guyanese (and wear a yellow juzzy when applying) maybe.. just maybe, he can score a house.

I actually know of Guyanese who have applied for HDC housing in T&T within the last 5 years and got a house in front of born and bred Trinis who applied for HDC housing over 10 years ago and are still waiting.

Anyone who honestly believes that 100 houses per week are going to be given out without favoritism by the PPG in an election year is way more gullible than I first gave them credit for. This announcement is an election gimmick for political gain and any sensible thinking person will know that despite the shameless denial.

Your PP government is totally corrupt and racist and everyone with a working brain cell knows it.

Now stop calling up my name at every opportunity in your posts like if you have been emotionally injured in some way by Socapro and so constantly have him on your mind.

PS:
And just for folks like Jumbie who like to fabricate bogus arguments, I have nothing against East Indians or Guyanese (got East Indian relatives and very close Guyanese friends) but I am against racial discrimination by those in government and in public office.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:43:37 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
It shouldn't matter what nationality they are... as long as they qualify and wait their turn like everybody else. 

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
 :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: too easy!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
It shouldn't matter what nationality they are... as long as they qualify and wait their turn like everybody else. 
:beermug:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:46:03 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: too easy!

Yes its too easy for you to talk shit. I suggest you stop calling up my name in your post my friend especially when you are presenting an argument that is only valid in your imagination.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:17:15 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>