March 28, 2024, 04:43:29 PM

Author Topic: China revokes visa of US Olympic medallist and activist  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
China revokes visa of US Olympic medallist and activist
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »

Chinese authorities have abruptly revoked the visa of 2006 winter Olympic gold-medallist and Darfur activist Joey Cheek, prompting a protest by the US government and further marring the start of the Beijing games.

Cheek is the president and co-founder of Team Darfur, a group of athletes formed to nudge China into helping end the ethnic killings in Sudan without derailing the Olympics.

Cheek, who won the 2006 winter Olympic speed-skating competition, said his visa was yanked hours before his slated departure for China.

"I didn't see it coming," Cheek told the Associated Press. "That was a big shock."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said the US would formally object to the manoeuvre against Cheek, which came hours before George Bush prepares to publicly criticise China's human rights record.

Bush plans to put the US on record "in firm opposition to China's detention of political dissidents, human rights advocates and religious activists" during a speech tomorrow in Thailand, according to an advance copy released to the media.

"We speak out for a free press, freedom of assembly and labour rights -- not to antagonise China's leaders, but because trusting its people with greater freedom is the only way for China to develop its full potential," Bush is expected to say.

But his remarks may be too little, too late for activists who have expressed dismay at the president's decision to shrug off calls for a boycott of the Olympic opening ceremonies.

The ongoing violence in the Sudanese region of Darfur, where more than 200,000 have been killed and millions driven from their homes, is the centrepiece of Cheek's activism. Beijing has aided Khartoum and protested recent war crimes charges filed against Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir.

Still, other human-rights campaigners are using the Olympics to play up China's alignment with the abusive military regime in Burma and its suppression of independent protests in Tibet.

Cheek – who has urged the Sudanese government to abide by the centuries-old tradition of an "Olympic truce" from fighting – has lambasted the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for not permitting athletes to speak out on political issues.

"I've been pretty unimpressed with the IOC's efforts in protecting athletes, for giving them any options," Cheek told the Associated Press.

Guardian News and Media Limited

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: China revokes visa of US Olympic medallist and activist
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »
whatever happened to the good ole days?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »
Only Nixon could go to China.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »
"Cheek is the president and co-founder of Team Darfur, a group of athletes formed to nudge China into helping end the ethnic killings in Sudan without derailing the Olympics."

De man say 'he didnt see it comming' oui  :D...he real dunce

and just to make sure de thread get derail slightly...but stay on topic

look de supposed 50 hottest women dat competin in beijing  :-X
http://www.webtvhub.com/the-50-most-beautiful-women-of-the-2008-beijing-olympics-sexy-athletic-girls-pictures-and-videos/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:48:57 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
De railed slightly
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:11:53 AM »
ppl have been lining up to kiss Chinese ass so all of this is the predictable consequence of the environment in which dey wukkin ... impunity to the maximum ...

China is on a full court global press plus it has the "D" on lock ... they have negotiated and leveraged in the face of the compromised ass-kissers who expect to eat food from the Chinese pot o' gold ... some men will make $$$ as individuals but the Chinese state will accrue the better part of the bargain ... more Chinese engaged in compromising activities within US borders and elsewhere will manifest in due course ...

The quest for El Dorado continues ... watch di ride after the Olympics on the other side of a successful Chinese event.

This is China's response to one man's morality. Priceless? Actually, not!

I maintain that the youthman who stood in front of that tank in Tianamen Square in 1989 is one of the bravest men on the planet. Check the decade, observe the march of history and factor in China's domestic progress versus its international record. Anyone keeping score? Who is winning?

Ah suppose if they had activist Chinese in "Miami" Cuba would be off the table. :devil:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
http://www.webtvhub.com/the-50-most-beautiful-women-of-the-2008-beijing-olympics-sexy-athletic-girls-pictures-and-videos/

ting in China and they put 1 asian on the whole list and they from bloody Japan .:rotfl:  after that is pure white with a sprinkling of black pepper.  it have more brits than asians...that just wrong.  I know it might have more western women at the games and maybe they more liberal but oh gorm...
but yuh just give us something more to look out for   in the olympics   ;D
People seem to think our squad this rounds looking good....watching the relays and Cleopatra

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »
"Cheek is the president and co-founder of Team Darfur, a group of athletes formed to nudge China into helping end the ethnic killings in Sudan without derailing the Olympics."

I doh see how he dunce... it depends on what he planned on going there to do.  If he didn't plan on any protests then he reasonably would not have expected to preemptively be deported juss so.  Besides, China say people coulda apply fuh permit etc. etc. etc....

New era of openness... olympic ambassador status... I could see how it ketch him by surprise.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »
Was gonna start a thread for dis, but i figured i could drop it here:

Anyone else find d attitude of d Western media towards the Chinese Olympics disgraceful?? Almost every Olympic report I see, no matter what the focus is, has to mention something about pollution (Athens was just as bad) or human rights (doh study Iraq, Guantanamo etc) or some protest (d same kind of protests which follow Bush wherever he goes). The BBC, which prides itself on its impartiality cannot go for more than 2 minutes without hittin d Chinese wid some snide comment, subliminally implying dat d West could do it better. Iz as if I watchin Fox News on every station. Im guessing d coverage in d US must be even worse.

What do yall think?  ???

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »

Anyone else find d attitude of d Western media towards the Chinese Olympics disgraceful?? Almost every Olympic report I see, no matter what the focus is, has to mention something about pollution (Athens was just as bad) or human rights (doh study Iraq, Guantanamo etc) or some protest (d same kind of protests which follow Bush wherever he goes). The BBC, which prides itself on its impartiality cannot go for more than 2 minutes without hittin d Chinese wid some snide comment, subliminally implying dat d West could do it better. Iz as if I watchin Fox News on every station. Im guessing d coverage in d US must be even worse.

What do yall think?  ???

completely agree.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »

What do yall think?  ???

Are you suggesting that China is beyond reproach or should somehow be given a bligh?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »

What do yall think?  ???

Are you suggesting that China is beyond reproach or should somehow be given a bligh?

Not at all.

But lets fast forward to 2012 - run-up to the Olympics in London. Do you think that CNN, BBC etc will be mentioning the pollution, the government's policy on Iraq or nuclear weapons or tension with Northern Ireland in every 30-second news clip about a sporting event?

You live in d US right? Does the US media tie in stories about Bush's incompetence with the World Series or the NBA Finals (ok not exactly d same, but I cant remember what d last global event in d US was)? No they don't, and you would probably be confused if they did because the 2 issues are unrelated. So why are things any different for China?

An example of snide reporting: short story by d BBC on security in Beijing dat came up just as i was typing this...now obviously security tight for something like this, but here is the BBC's take on things (ok iz not word 4 word, but not far off): "Getting security right is a fine balance - the Chinese authorities want to make sure people are safe, but the Olympics is an event where we want to have fun....come 2012 London will be looking to get it right."  :So subtly implying that China goin over the top on security and more or less blatantly saying London will do it better  ::)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:44:15 AM by Ryan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
Not at all.

But lets fast forward to 2012 - run-up to the Olympics in London. Do you think that CNN, BBC etc will be mentioning the pollution, the government's policy on Iraq or nuclear weapons or tension with Northern Ireland in every 30-second news clip about a sporting event?

You live in d US right? Does the US media tie in stories about Bush's incompetence with the World Series or the NBA Finals (ok not exactly d same, but I cant remember what d last global event in d US was)? No they don't, and you would probably be confused if they did because the 2 issues are unrelated. So why are things any different for China?

An example of snide reporting: short story by d BBC on security in Beijing dat came up just as i was typing this...now obviously security tight for something like this, but here is the BBC's take on things (ok iz not word 4 word, but not far off): "Getting security right is a fine balance - the Chinese authorities want to make sure people are safe, but the Olympics is an event where we want to have fun....come 2012 London will be looking to get it right."  :So subtly implying that China goin over the top on security and more or less blatantly saying London will do it better  ::)

No offense... but I find you nitpicking at nonsense.

You have to look at the event that's being hosted...and the conditions upon which the games were granted.  The spirit of the Olympic games at it's purest is about athletic competition and politics should play no part... but we know that's not the case in reality.  When the host country makes certain guarantees as part of the submission process (no restrictions on coverage, no restrictions on the ability of local populace to interact with Olympic guests/media and vice versa, improved air quality etc.) then either fails to live up to those promises, or outright reneges on them, then they should be held to task.  How inappropriate would it be for everyone to run around in their spandex twirling the Olympic banner when right at home people are being jailed for posting online etc...exercising basic liberties available to Olympic guests? 

If China wants to enjoy the benefits (financial, PR) that comes with the Olympics then peaceful protests of domestic, as well as foreign actions such as Darfur should be a small price to pay for that privilege.  I fail to see how Iraq is even part of the discussion, because whether you agree with the premise upon which war was waged or not, the bottom line is that America is at war in Iraq, America isn't oppressing anyone's liberties in Iraq.  There is a sizeable segment of the population which opposes the American presence in Iraq, but let's not delude ourselves... there is also a sizeable segment which welcomes it, including the official standing government of Iraq.  China has nothing but its own greed at stake in its dastardly arms trade with the Sudanese oppressors.  The Darfur refugees aren't waging war on anyone...that's a one-sided slaughter that China is complicit in.  If the US were hosting some big name sporting event, then citizens would have every right to use the publicity of that event to shed light on their displeasure with US policies... it happens all the time.  There would be no government crackdown.  Whether the networks cover it (likely they will if past is prelude) and how they cover it is a matter of conjecture... but at least dissident voices would be allowed expression.  Can we say the same for the current hosts?  Two protestors were arrested yesterday in Beijing for holding an 'illegal' sit-in.  As they were being arrested the chinese officials opened umbrellas in front the cameras to try and prevent the images from being broadcast.  The coverage of tactics such as this may not be newsworthy to you, but to many others it is.

The Chinese government has failed to correct the poor air quality that has traditionally bedeviled Beijing, and this was an expressed condition upon which the games were granted.  Athletes' health... indeed their lives are at stake (deadly asthma attacks can easily be triggered), the smog also serves to insulate the city, trapping heat and elevating temperatures... this is no joke matter when it comes to athletes performing outdoors... heatstroke probably has not received much press in the UK, but I can tell you it is a major concern here in the US this time of year, given that NFL camps are just opening.  Now you have Jacques Rogge talking a pack ah ass about that's just mist from condensation.  They won't be satisfied until someone dies... God forbid.

So again, to you this may not be much of an issue... but CNN/NBC are broadcasting to a primarily American audience.  It sucks for international viewers that this is the case, but that's the devil that the money-hungry IOC sold it's soul to.  I really don't know what to tell you seeing that you're stuck having to watch the imperialist American propaganda... but to many other people in America and beyond... this is newsworthy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:53:20 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »
Not at all.

No offense... but I find you nitpicking at nonsense.

You have to look at the event that's being hosted...and the conditions upon which the games were granted.  The spirit of the Olympic games at it's purest is about athletic competition and politics should play no part... but we know that's not the case in reality.  When the host country makes certain guarantees as part of the submission process (no restrictions on coverage, no restrictions on the ability of local populace to interact with Olympic guests/media and vice versa, improved air quality etc.) then either fails to live up to those promises, or outright reneges on them, then they should be held to task.  How inappropriate would it be for everyone to run around in their spandex twirling the Olympic banner when right at home people are being jailed for posting online etc...exercising basic liberties available to Olympic guests? 

that standard goes two ways. if a country feels so strongly that about it, they shouldn't send a team. in particular, if an athlete feels so strongly about it, they shouldn't participate. no one is forcing the USA or England to send a team or an athlete to participate in circumstances they have objections to. but to send a team and then bitch and moan about the conditions in the coverage is just pathetic. they threw their lot in. if they took at face value chinese assurances that beijing would suddenly be cleaned of all air pollution and that the chinese govt would relent on freedoms of assembly and press, they DUNCE no arse :devil:

If China wants to enjoy the benefits (financial, PR) that comes with the Olympics then peaceful protests of domestic, as well as foreign actions such as Darfur should be a small price to pay for that privilege.  I fail to see how Iraq is even part of the discussion, because whether you agree with the premise upon which war was waged or not, the bottom line is that America is at war in Iraq, America isn't oppressing anyone's liberties in Iraq.  There is a sizeable segment of the population which opposes the American presence in Iraq, but let's not delude ourselves... there is also a sizeable segment which welcomes it, including the official standing government of Iraq.  China has nothing but its own greed at stake in its dastardly arms trade with the Sudanese oppressors.  The Darfur refugees aren't waging war on anyone...that's a one-sided slaughter that China is complicit in.  If the US were hosting some big name sporting event, then citizens would have every right to use the publicity of that event to shed light on their displeasure with US policies... it happens all the time.  There would be no government crackdown.  Whether the networks cover it (likely they will if past is prelude) and how they cover it is a matter of conjecture... but at least dissident voices would be allowed expression.  Can we say the same for the current hosts?  Two protestors were arrested yesterday in Beijing for holding an 'illegal' sit-in.  As they were being arrested the chinese officials opened umbrellas in front the cameras to try and prevent the images from being broadcast.  The coverage of tactics such as this may not be newsworthy to you, but to many others it is.

The Chinese government has failed to correct the poor air quality that has traditionally bedeviled Beijing, and this was an expressed condition upon which the games were granted.  Athletes' health... indeed their lives are at stake (deadly asthma attacks can easily be triggered), the smog also serves to insulate the city, trapping heat and elevating temperatures... this is no joke matter when it comes to athletes performing outdoors... heatstroke probably has not received much press in the UK, but I can tell you it is a major concern here in the US this time of year, given that NFL camps are just opening.  Now you have Jacques Rogge talking a pack ah ass about that's just mist from condensation.  They won't be satisfied until someone dies... God forbid.

ent one of the US athletes died during the trials? you making it sound like is a mandatory olympics. if the athletes doh like the conditions, don't participate.

So again, to you this may not be much of an issue... but CNN/NBC are broadcasting to a primarily American audience.  It sucks for international viewers that this is the case, but that's the devil that the money-hungry IOC sold it's soul to.  I really don't know what to tell you seeing that you're stuck having to watch the imperialist American propaganda... but to many other people in America and beyond... this is newsworthy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:30:24 PM by ribbit »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
that standard goes two ways. if a country feels so strongly that about it, they shouldn't send a team. in particular, if an athlete feels so strongly about it, they shouldn't participate. no one is forcing the USA or England to send a team or an athlete to participate in circumstances they have objections to. but to send a team and then bitch and moan about the conditions in the coverage is just pathetic. they threw their lot in. if they took at face value chinese assurances that beijing would suddenly be cleaned of all air pollution and that the chinese govt would relent on freedoms of assembly and press, they DUNCE no arse :devil:

ent one of the US athletes died during the trials? you making it sound like is a mandatory olympics. if the athletes doh like the conditions, don't participate.

By that same foolish token... nobody forcing yuh to watch the games.  If you tuning into an American broadcast and den complaining about de tenor of said American broadcast den you dunce no arse.  If yuh feel so strongly about it doh bitch... just turn off yuh TV and follow de coverage online.

You have even less to lose than the athletes yuh suggesting should boycott.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:50:14 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »

I doh see how he dunce... it depends on what he planned on going there to do.  If he didn't plan on any protests then he reasonably would not have expected to preemptively be deported juss so.  Besides, China say people coulda apply fuh permit etc. etc. etc....

New era of openness... olympic ambassador status... I could see how it ketch him by surprise.

He dunce because China government doh play PC games...dem eh want no ripples of disenchantment

ah blind man could see dat fellah wouldnt go dey, compete and leave quietly
dem willin to buss monk heads and run dey own citizens over wit tanks....you tink dey lookin to admit ah man who go make 'trouble' fuh dem? ....now granted I applaud de man position especially in light of how people in sudan sufferin.....but he real chupid if dat ketch he by surprise

China tryin to be more open and accomodatin to the world on their terms...any foreign interference in de people business and dey quick to rebuke
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »

He dunce because China government doh play PC games...dem eh want no ripples of disenchantment

ah blind man could see dat fellah wouldnt go dey, compete and leave quietly
dem willin to buss monk heads and run dey own citizens over wit tanks....you tink dey lookin to admit ah man who go make 'trouble' fuh dem? ....now granted I applaud de man position especially in light of how people in sudan sufferin.....but he real chupid if dat ketch he by surprise

China tryin to be more open and accomodatin to the world on their terms...any foreign interference in de people business and dey quick to rebuke

Which is fine, but as I said earlier... that wasn't the same assurance that China gave to the IOC prior to being awarded the games.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »

By that same foolish token... nobody forcing yuh to watch the games.  If yuh feel so strongly about it doh bitch... just turn off yuh TV and follow de coverage online.  You have even less to lose than the athletes yuh suggesting should boycott.

not so. the problem here is the so-called journalists covering the event. there used to be a time when journalism had professional standards of objectivity. now, every so-called journalist feel the need to editorialize. the coverage of this olympics is, to me, a symptom of a wider problem with a deteriorating standard of journalism. this standard affects the coverage of more than just the olympics - it affects the coverage of other newsworthy events. this is the same standard that is keeping recent events, like the us-approved military coup in mauritania that happened a few days ago, out of the news. to me news is a public good and is of direct concern to me.

besides, it's not like they don't have athletes training in these conditions in china. i was reading all now about a little girl in some village in china that was running at 5 in the morning with her father to prepare for some olympics in the future. if the conditions are good enough for chinese athletes to train in then what usa and uk athletes complaining about?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »

By that same foolish token... nobody forcing yuh to watch the games.  If yuh feel so strongly about it doh bitch... just turn off yuh TV and follow de coverage online.  You have even less to lose than the athletes yuh suggesting should boycott.

not so. the problem here is the so-called journalists covering the event. there used to be a time when journalism had professional standards of objectivity. now, every so-called journalist feel the need to editorialize. the coverage of this olympics is, to me, a symptom of a wider problem with a deteriorating standard of journalism. this standard affects the coverage of more than just the olympics - it affects the coverage of other newsworthy events. this is the same standard that is keeping recent events, like the us-approved military coup in mauritania that happened a few days ago, out of the news. to me news is a public good and is of direct concern to me.

besides, it's not like they don't have athletes training in these conditions in china. i was reading all now about a little girl in some village in china that was running at 5 in the morning with her father to prepare for some olympics in the future. if the conditions are good enough for chinese athletes to train in then what usa and uk athletes complaining about?

Come on Ribbit.

I'll address your latter point first.  The first counter to your example of the little girl, is the fact that the Chinese government has such a stranglehold on news, that for all we know 100 similar little girls died training under these conditions and we haven't heard peep about it.  This is the same Chinese government that just built a wall around a Beijing equivalent of the "drag mall" so as to minimize exposure to western media.  Same Chinese government that looked the other way during school construction in the earthquake affected regions, buildings which toppled like proverbial houses of cards onto the head of babies... then sought to pressure parents for having the temerity to complain.  Eventually the outcry was so great that they adopted another strategy... secretly paying off affected families before the kick-off of the games tonight.  You really could do to find a more sympathetic devil to advocate for.

Secondly.. how many of those chinese athletes train in Beijing?  Remember the complaint isn't about the quality of the air in all of China... it's about the quality of the air in Beijing.  Thirdly, there may be some chinese athletes whose bodies are inured to the hazards thru continuous exposure... I would hope that you'd come with a better argument than "well the Chinese ent dead... why dem others fraid tuh dead?".

As for journalistic standards and objectivity and what not... What is there to be objective about... really?

Is the air quality in Beijing NOT bad??  Is China NOT complicit in the genocide in Darfur by arming those carrying out said genocide?  Is the Chinese government NOT guilty of oppressing its own people?

Are the news media somehow exaggerating these issues?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:59:46 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 04:05:05 PM »
Good Olympic Evening Guys,
                                           All the big countries have their bits of hypocracy. I have no problem with China hosting he games. They have money, they have talent and they are an economic force. But some of the complaints against them are legit.

After the Olympics, China will feel good about themselves and rightly so. But nothing will change for the Tibetans and the Darfuris. They air quality will go back to it sulphorous state.

The Commies don't care about nobody. They and GW have something in common. They care about their own little clique to control. For GW, the Conservatives and business interest and in the case of the Chinese, the Communist party clique. The end justifies the means.

Lets enjoy a smog free Olympics, shall we.

1]; } ?>