April 19, 2024, 07:42:17 AM

Author Topic: Michael Phelps D Greatist Athelete  (Read 6968 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Michael Phelps D Greatist Athelete
« on: August 15, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »
The American media is claiming that Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete in the world , he won 6 gold medals so far in swimming . I think a decantalon champion or some body who play multiple sports and very good at it  should be considerd the greatest in the world .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Phelps D Greatist Athelete
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »
well yuh know how yankee does drop it...anyting dem do hadda have ah lil 'extra' on de top

I eh think de rest of the globe go really study dat title.....leh phelps ride de accolades & make some money oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »
This is actually the topic of spirited debate on another forum... I'm willing to buy it given what he has been able to accomplish (not just victories, but each in world record time), swimming and dominating in each and every stroke (Spitz only swam two, not four), he's been doing it for three successive Olympiads now... and clearly elevating his sport beyond where it's ever been before.  Then of course you have sheer medal (and Gold Medal at that) count.

Is Phelps the Best, Or Does That Take More Than Gold?

August 15, 2008

By JERÉ LONGMAN

BEIJING — Michael Phelps has won 11 career gold medals, more than any Olympic athlete in any sport. But does that make him the greatest Olympian ever or, remarkably but somewhat less loftily, the greatest swimmer ever?

That is a subject of debate here at the Beijing Games. Are Phelps’s accomplishments in the pool more impressive than the nine gold medals won by Carl Lewis and Paavo Nurmi in track and field? Or greater than Eric Heiden’s five victories, from 500 meters to 10,000 meters, in speedskating at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, N.Y.?

Does Jesse Owens’s refutation of Aryan supremacy, by winning four gold medals before the Hitler viewing stand at the 1936 Summer Games in Berlin, give him a moral validity that supersedes Phelps’s athletic legitimacy?

For his part, Phelps is avoiding the debate.

“I just swim,” Phelps said Thursday. “I don’t think about it.”

David Wallechinsky, the vice president of the International Society of Olympic Historians, gives the nod for greatest Olympians to Lewis and Nurmi. His point is this: It is much easier to win multiple medals in sports like swimming and gymnastics than in track and field, because there are more individual events. And fewer countries produce elite swimmers than runners, making track a more democratic sport.

Lewis won the long jump in four consecutive Olympics, along with five golds in the 100- and 200-meter sprints and the 4x100-meter relay. Runners compete vertically. They pound their bodies harder, and must work their hearts and muscles harder, than swimmers, who compete horizontally.

Swimmers recover quicker and, during major international competitions, generally compete in fewer rounds than runners. Lewis not only sprinted but subjected his body to the enormous gravitational forces of the long jump, where landing was the equivalent of jumping out of a truck at 25 miles an hour.

“Very few people have won the same event four times; only Carl Lewis won the same event four times and won nine total gold medals,” Wallechinsky said.

Nurmi, the great Finnish distance runner, won nine gold medals and three silvers in the 1920s. He won five gold medals at various distances (some discontinued) at the 1924 Paris Games, including the 1,500 meters and the 5,000 meters, which were held about 90 minutes apart.

“That’s almost inconceivable,” Wallechinsky said.

Phil Hersh of The Chicago Tribune, who has covered 14 Olympics, rates Phelps sixth on the list of greatest Olympians. His top five are Lewis; Nurmi; the gymnast Larysa Latynina, who won 18 Olympic medals, nine gold, for the former Soviet Union in the 1950s and 60s; the canoeist Birgit Fischer-Schmidt, who won 12 Olympic medals, eight gold, for the former East Germany and unified Germany from 1980-2004; and the rower Steve Redgrave, who won a gold medal in five consecutive Olympics for Britain from 1984-2000.

“Lewis didn’t have as many relays as Phelps; what if he would have had a 4x200-meter relay, or some kind of medley relay?” Hersh said. “Nurmi, because of what he did and the fact that he lost an Olympics because he was declared a pro. Latynina, just look at her record; it’s unbelievable. Fischer-Schmidt competed over a 24-year period in canoeing, which is not a child’s sport.”

Di[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k Pound, a member of the International Olympic Committee from Montreal and an Olympic swimmer at the 1960 Rome Games, said it was difficult to compare Olympic champions — “it’s like comparing cave drawings” — but that Owens stood out to him.

“He stood for a lot of things,” Pound said. “He’s one of the greatest. I’d like to have 10 athletes to play with instead of one. But in terms of performance, if Phelps pulls off eight golds, he’s been pretty dominant in a pretty hotly contested sport.”

John Powers of The Boston Globe, who has covered 16 Olympics, said he gave the nod to Phelps as the greatest Olympian. Phelps swims all four strokes, compared to the butterfly and freestyle that Mark Spitz swam when he won seven gold medals at the 1972 Munich Games, Powers said. Plus, Phelps has had to swim more preliminary rounds.

“In terms of the pressure he’s under here, winning eight overall medals last time in Athens, seeking eight golds this time, I’d go for Phelps,” Powers said. “He’ll have 17 races here. And the sport has become more global. Spitz’s biggest competition in 1972 was his own guys. Phelps is going constantly, morning and night. He’s had to be good twice a day. Track guys don’t do it every day. And Phelps is doing it at a time no one’s done before, with finals in the morning. I’d put him up there.”

Perhaps the best argument in Phelps’s favor is that he is swimming a range of distances that convert to track races from a quarter mile to a mile (sprinting is about four times faster than swimming). No quarter miler is also dominant as a miler.

Phelps has superior aerobic capacity, compared with track sprinters, gained by swimming more than nine miles a day during peak training periods, said Genadijus Sokolovas, the director of sports science for USA Swimming.

“Track and field sprinters come to their races from short-distance training,” Sokolovas said. “They do a lot of speed work, not as much endurance. As a result, sprinters don’t recover so well. They don’t have enough aerobic capacity. If they trained differently, it might be a different situation. Michael’s ability to recover after such high volume training and race is amazing.”

Only 23, Phelps has a chance to become the greatest Olympian, Wallechinsky said.

“If he returns in London in four years and wins a few more gold medals, that would show a greater longevity,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/sports/olympics/15longman.html

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
I fully agree with that article

phelps may well be the best athlete but not all gold medals are equal. Swimming has a ton of medal opportunities with several distances and several strokes. There are the 4 strokes and also the medley.

Most swimmers do a ton of mileage in the pool so the gap between distance events and shorter events is not that large i.e. it's unlike track where it is virtually unheard of to do the 400 and the 100.

There's also several relay medal opportunities with the 4x100 and 4x200 frees and then the medley relay. So really there's a lot of opportunities. There are other sports like this (gymnastics as mentioned) but we should think carefully before we crown phelps with the greatest olympian crown.

For me he needs to come back to London and win a couple golds there because to me, domination of the sport over an extended time is required for greatness. I know he dominated in 2004 and now but if he does in London too then I'll have no doubt
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:24:40 PM by sinned86 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »

phelps may well be the best athlete but not all gold medals are equal. Swimming has a ton of medal opportunities with several distances and several strokes. There are the 4 strokes and also the medley.

Most swimmers do a ton of mileage in the pool so the gap between distance events and shorter events is not that large i.e. it's unlike track where it is virtually unheard of to do the 400 and the 100.

There's also several rely medal opportunities with the 4x100 and 4x200 frees and then the medley relay. So really there's a lot of opportunities. There are other sports like this (gymnastics as mentioned) but we should think carefully before we crown phelps with the greatest olympian crown.

For me he needs to come back to London and win a couple golds there because to me, domination of the sport over an extended time is required for greatness. I know he dominated in 2004 and now but if he does in London too then I'll have no doubt

De man winning gold medals since Sydney... when he was 15, this is already his third Olympics.

what else allyuh want?

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »

There's also several rely medal opportunities with the 4x100 and 4x200 frees and then the medley relay. So really there's a lot of opportunities. There are other sports like this (gymnastics as mentioned) but we should think carefully before we crown phelps with the greatest olympian crown.

De man winning gold medals since Sydney... when he was 15, this is already his third Olympics.

what else allyuh want?

I want you to show me the gold medal from Sydney. (5th place nuh get no medal)

I want him to dominate past the age of 23 and win golds in 3 olympics. Is that really too much to ask from the greatest olympian?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »
It easy to enter 10 different swimming events.
It is not highly specialized from one distance and/or stroke to the next.

If yuh do that in Track and Field yuh get 1 medal (decathlon).

He's the best swimmer, but for best Olympian I would go with somebody like Carl Lewis or this fella Nurmi who I now hear about for the first time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
He is the greatest. He dominated in 2 Olympics, what the hell all they want? Blood. All those who doubting his "greatness", are mainly sport writers and prognosticators who wants to be heard or sell books and newspapers.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
He is the greatest. He dominated in 2 Olympics, what the hell all they want? Blood. All those who doubting his "greatness", are mainly sport writers and prognosticators who wants to be heard or sell books and newspapers.
I'm not doubting the greatness - I'm doubting the "greatest" title for now. look at ian thorpe's career - not very dissimilar (of course phelps is better) but thorpe unfortunately peaked between 2000 and 2004 where he destroyed in the worlds.

If phelps win a couple golds at the worlds not even the next olympics i'll agree without doubt. I'm not saying he definitively is not the greatest right now - just that there is room for doubt

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »

He's the best swimmer, but for best Olympian I would go with somebody like Carl Lewis or this fella Nurmi who I now hear about for the first time.

You really feel so?  How come swimmers have a different take den?

It indeed easy to swim the different strokes... but to swim each stroke on a world class level... and DOMINATE, totally different thing.

Me ent no swimmer doh... I'll let Swima come clarify fuh yuh.

sinned86... yuh right, he didn't win gold in Sydney.  Clearly his 5 golds in Athens and 6 and counting here in Beijing isn't enough.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
I'm not doubting the greatness - I'm doubting the "greatest" title for now. look at ian thorpe's career - not very dissimilar (of course phelps is better) but thorpe unfortunately peaked between 2000 and 2004 where he destroyed in the worlds.

If phelps win a couple golds at the worlds not even the next olympics i'll agree without doubt. I'm not saying he definitively is not the greatest right now - just that there is room for doubt

You realize the title is "Greatest Olympian" right??

Who gives a rat's ass what Thorpe did between Olympiads?  The discussion has to do with performances at the Games. 

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »

Who gives a rat's ass what Thorpe did between Olympiads?  The discussion has to do with performances at the Games. 

Sorry. I keep mixing up the terms - "greatest athlete" was the title of the thread but the article was about greatest olympian

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »

Sorry. I keep mixing up the terms - "greatest athlete" was the title of the thread but the article was about greatest olympian

yeah it keep tying up people head.  As ah say, I having the same debate on another board and is de same thing ah have to keep mentioning to fellas dey... is about greatest Olympian.  I really ent much of a swim fan, but I have a real appreciation for what this fella doing, given the caliber of the competition. 

People have to remember that these ent slouches he swimming against, over 50 world records have been set since February (men and women's swimming).  So even subtracting out the women... he's swimming against men who are either setting personal best times, or world record times themselves.  Yet as good as they themselves are... he's literally head and shoulders above (or ahead in this case) of them.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »

Shit talk. The reason you see it that way is primarily why Phelps is so great. No one has done it that way before, not even Spitz. Spitz's 7 were the 100 and 200 free the 100 and 200 fly and the three relays. Compare that to Phelps who swims the 200 free, the 200 and 400 IM (the 400 IM being the hardest event in swimming) the 100 and 200 fly, and the three relays. What is the correlation with regards to any of those events? They all hover around the 100-400 distance. Still, you don't see any of the best 100m freestylers swimming any 400 freestyle at world level. Only Thorpe did that with any success prior to Phelps. Hell you do not see any 100 free men swimming in the final of the 200 free.

Mind you we ehn talk about the fact that his 100 free leading off the relay would have won bronze in the actual race. We ehn talk about the fact that up to last year his 100 back was the second fastest in history and his 200 back was third. How many top backstrokers swimming world class butterfly and both 100 and 200? This is why Phelps is so good and why he is the best swimming has ever seen and among the best in sport and has the right to be mentioned alongside Jordan, Woods, and well in the modern era at least, Zidane.

He is like Federer winning the French or Jordan winning defensive player of the year (which he did at least once I believe). Shit the man has swum a 200 yard breast some 5 years ago in 1:59 in the middle of hard training, which ehn nothing to slouch about. He could probably swim a 200 breast in 2:11 if he trained it a little.

There have been swimmers before like Spitz Gross and Biondi who have all been great and have had their shine at various Olympics, but no one has been this dominant. When he comes out of hiatus and starts sprinting from next year, it will be another scene for all the 100 fly, back and freestyle men out there. No one thought he would break Thorpe's record in the 200. He only started swimming that in Athens. He has now beaten it by more than a second.

As for the decathalon reference. Tell me when Daley Thompson or Dan O'brien ever broke world records in any of the ten events they performed during a decathalon and I will come and argue that point with you. Phelps win 6 gold so far and four individual and all were in World Record Time, and all swims looked like how Michael Johnson looked in the 200 in Atlanta.

That being said, I want him get a cut ass in the 100 fly tonight for two reasons. One I would like Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gained to shut the hell up, since they sounding like how I sounding here but ten times worse, and two, so the brother get real vex and maintain that desire, because as long as he in the sport, the sport will benefit.

Again I state, alll of the above was from a man who takes great pleasure in seeing Americans get a cutass while listening to Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
Ladies and Guys,
                        Phelps just win a race dey. I don't know how the ARSE he win that. He was supposed to lose that race. How he touch before the other, I don't know. #7.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
Ladies and Guys,
                        Phelps just win a race dey. I don't know how the ARSE he win that. He was supposed to lose that race. How he touch before the other, I don't know. #7.

same here..

i had the tv on mute, but from all de replay angles I seeing de next man fully touching before him.

From the overhead view, it was the man below him on the screen.

Ah really eh understand that one at all!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

Shit talk. The reason you see it that way is primarily why Phelps is so great. No one has done it that way before, not even Spitz.

As for the decathalon reference. Tell me when Daley Thompson or Dan O'brien ever broke world records in any of the ten events they performed during a decathalon and I will come and argue that point with you.

Exactly padnah, it is impossible for a decathlete to set a WR in any of those singular events, because those events are much more specialized than swimming.
Ah know yuh have a passion for swimming, but doh let it cloud yuh vision.
Too much chlorine  :rotfl:

P.S. Ah never say Phelps is not great so ah doh know why yuh tryin to convince me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 08:50:55 PM by Peong »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 08:42:18 PM »
Ladies and Guys,

same here..

i had the tv on mute, but from all de replay angles I seeing de next man fully touching before him.

Even de American commentators, who usually bias, saying how it look like de next man touch first, but de sensor doh lie. Serbia filing a protest.

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 09:02:26 PM »
Ladies and Guys,

same here..

Even de American commentators, who usually bias, saying how it look like de next man touch first, but de sensor doh lie. Serbia filing a protest.

He get away today, no doubt. But what was for he, was for he. Real top class finish - both men gamble, one man went high, next man went low. Yuh can't tell if the Serbian win that, so ah believe the sensor.
Ketch footballitis

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »
That one look suspect to me. And I eh see no underwater pix yet...

Say what, great race.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »
Great race in that 100m Free... great sportsmanship by Cavic on the medal stand though, he was very gracious considering the outcome was being protested behind the scenes.

With the naked eye it look to me like Cavic had beat him... but I'm not going to doubt the electronic timer...certainly not when the visual evidence is itself inconclusive as it is.

The irony in all of this is that Cavic himself (though swimming for Serbia) is born and raised in California, and his coach is set to succeed Phelps' coach at Michigan after the Olympics.  Cavic was talking mess in the paper about how it would be good for the sport (and for Phelps) if Phelps lost a race.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:01 PM »

Exactly padnah, it is impossible for a decathlete to set a WR in any of those singular events, because those events are much more specialized than swimming.

P.S. Ah never say Phelps is not great so ah doh know why yuh tryin to convince me.

I think his point (towards Phelps' greatness) is that even among decathletes they are usually good enough to compete well in all the events, but aren't world class in any one.  In Phelps' case, not only is he good enough to compete well in all the different swim events, but he's great (world class) in each one as well.  To show that adaptability in each stroke, which is technically different, and taxes the body differently, one from the other... mind boggling.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »
on de last replay i realize the serbian float to the finish and Phelps take ah extra butterfly and rush to de line...

i feel if de serbian had take ah extra fly, it woulda been conclusive.

on another note wha really going on with this nbc coverage?? They showing over the 100m heats from today but apparently TV6 have the women's heats live.  They coulda show this over at 8pm instead of replaying all that beach volleyball. steups.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »

I think his point (towards Phelps' greatness) is that even among decathletes they are usually good enough to compete well in all the events, but aren't world class in any one.  In Phelps' case, not only is he good enough to compete well in all the different swim events, but he's great (world class) in each one as well.  To show that adaptability in each stroke, which is technically different, and taxes the body differently, one from the other... mind boggling.

I was going and tell him take win nah, but I glad a 'neutral' could explain it. How easy you think it was for George to change from IM to sprint free. It take him three years to become top 16. Phelps doing dem kinda ting in a season.

That 100 fly was reminiscent of Nesty's win over Biondi in 88. THe first and only time a black man (trini born no less) stand atop the posium in olympic swimming.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »
not to take anyting away from phelps, since winnin seven gold medals in one olympics is no easy feat. but i love to watch swimmin an i becomin kinda bored watchin d men's finals races knowin every race wid phelps wil see him winnin. it kinda takin d excitement outta d races for me cuz yuh already know who goin an win. wid d women, it have more excitement as any one person in d final have a chance at d gold. JMHO

bless!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
not to take anyting away from phelps, since winnin seven gold medals in one olympics is no easy feat. but i love to watch swimmin an i becomin kinda bored watchin d men's finals races knowin every race wid phelps wil see him winnin. it kinda takin d excitement outta d races for me cuz yuh already know who goin an win. wid d women, it have more excitement as any one person in d final have a chance at d gold. JMHO

bless!

Agreed, which is why I said it would be good for him to lose. I hope he maintains his desire.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »

That 100 fly was reminiscent of Nesty's win over Biondi in 88. THe first and only time a black man (trini born no less) stand atop the posium in olympic swimming.
Wait... is ah posey yuh say de man stand up on when he win?  :devil:   Lol, I actually forget about he yes... didn't know he was born in Trini doh.  Dat like Maritza Correia, swimming for the US (sweet brownin' too).  Born Guyana, move Puerto Rico when she was small... then grow up SoFla.

I still find Phelps races compelling because I never liked Spitz and happy to see history made (especially at his expense).  I also tuning in to see if Phelps will set a WR each time.... so far he 6 for 7, but say what.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »

Yeh but I understand his point so don't waste your time.
If allyuh read my response again, you will see that it had nothing to do with Phelps, except for the P.S.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
Yeh but I understand his point so don't waste your time.
If allyuh read my response again, you will see that it had nothing to do with Phelps, except for the P.S.

The issue of Phelps' 'greatness' isn't in dispute, the point of contention is his greatness relative to other all-time Olympians and Swima's point went well towards furthering Phelps' candidacy.  Since the point continues to escape you however, I'll heed your advice and not further waste my time. 

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »
I just saw a under water clip from the left side and phelps touch first ,unless NBC slow down the other guy .

BnS you doh like Spitz  ??? how old are you ? ,he from way back in the day lol .

1]; } ?>