April 25, 2024, 09:35:45 PM

Author Topic: Witness recounts Strange things at Akiel’s death scene  (Read 34967 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Witness recounts Strange things at Akiel’s death scene
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:25:28 AM »
Witness recounts

Strange things at Akiel’s death scene

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES 

The track at Balata Terrace, Maraval, where Carrie James and two other girls went in search of the missing Akiel Chambers on May 23, 1998. PHOTO: FRANCIS JOSEPH

By Francis Joseph

Another witness has come forward, saying strange things occurred at the scene where Akiel Chambers died more than ten years ago.

The witness, who shall be identified only as Mr X for now, was visiting Maraval on the weekend of May 23, 1998, when Akiel, aged 11, attended a birthday party at Haleland Park and disappeared.

His body surfaced the following day and, according to the autopsy performed on the body, Akiel was smothered to death. He was also sexually molested.

Mr X says his life is at risk if he speaks out openly, but he is willing to give the police a full statement if it could assist in reopening the case.

This is the story which Mr X gave on Thursday:

“I remember that Saturday afternoon as if it was yesterday. I was visiting my family at Balata Terrace in Maraval. I remember there was a party on the street. Even my niece was supposed to go, but she didn’t. I heard it was at the home of Charles James, the man who owns race horses and who sells rice.

“That afternoon, I sat in the porch having a few drinks. Every now and then, I walked to the side of the house and saw the children splashing in the pool; they were having a good time. There were also several adults around the pool and it seemed everyone was having a great time.

“I left and went out and I returned just after 5 pm. Some time after that I saw a lady arrive in a taxi. It was strange to see a taxi up here. I kept looking at her as she walked into the yard. A few minutes later, Mr James’ daughter, Carrie, and two friends went up a track. I thought they were playing hide and seek, or they were looking for a dog.

“They came back within minutes and went back to the party. As the place got dark, I saw a police vehicle come up the hill and stop next door. I thought nothing about it, even though I saw a policeman walk around the yard next door.

“The police vehicle and the lady who came with the taxi all left. Up to that point, I did not know that anything was wrong. About 11 o’clock, the police came back again with the same lady. I saw a red-skinned policeman, with a small net searching the pool where the party was held. I thought he was looking for a watch, a bracelet, or a ring, so small was the net. That search lasted a short time and everybody left. Then the entire area by the pool was thrown into darkness. I thought at first that current had gone, but it would seem that someone took out the lights around the pool and inside the pool.

“I got up early the following morning and while outside, I heard children playing in the pool next door. I walked around to the side of the house and saw the same Carrie James and two other girls playing in the pool. The pool was crystal clear. While they were in the pool, I saw this white lady, whom I was later told was Mrs James, call out to Carrie and her friends telling them the eggs were getting cold. It was breakfast time.

“The three girls got out of the pool and headed inside. I looked at the pool and there was just a white towel to the top of the pool. Mrs James then came out and started to put chlorine in the pool. She walked around the pool putting the chlorine. She even picked up leaves from around the pool. But the pool remained very clear despite the chlorine.

“A police vehicle came again, this time with three policemen. Policeman A walked in and met Mrs James. He said, ‘I am investigating a report of a missing boy. When last did you see this boy?’ Mrs James replied, ‘He was last seen around 5.30, sitting over there eating.’

“Policeman A then looked at the pool and say ‘Look the boy over there’. He then called on his two colleagues sitting in the vehicle and said ‘We find the boy, call it in.’ Policeman B who was sitting in the vehicle came out and said ‘That is stupidness, I searched that pool last night and there was no boy in it.’

“Policeman A told Policeman C to take Policeman B back to the station and report that the boy was found. Policeman A and Mrs James went into the house. Carrie came out and started to cry. I went towards the pool and to my amazement, I saw the body of a little boy in the water. He was in a crouched position and he was wearing a red pants.

“I was in shock because I asked myself, where did this boy come from? I was watching the pool when Mrs James was putting the chlorine, there was nobody in that pool? There was no body there the night before. The only explanation I can give is that this boy dropped out from the sky.

“I think two policemen came and took the boy’s body out of the pool. That happened ten years ago. But this is still affecting me. I have been reading and following the events in this matter. I want to say that the policeman whose photograph was published in the newspapers saying he searched the pool on the night when the boy went missing, was not the policeman I saw searching the pool. Maybe he was around, but it was a red-skinned policeman who searched the pool that night.”

“From where I was sitting that afternoon, if anyone wandered down the hill, I would have seen that person. I never saw any boy walk past where I was. I also remember reading what the pathologist found. He found no food in the boy’s stomach when he performed the autopsy. But I remember people saying that Akiel was eating up to 5 pm. It takes at least six hours for food to digest, so if no food was found in Akiel’s stomach, that means he could have still been alive at 11 o’clock that night.”

See Part 4 tomorrow

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Witness recounts Strange things at Akiel’s death scene
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:21:06 AM »
It take 10 yrs 4 dem peeps 2 get a conscience fire bun all ah dem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »
Nah gul people fradin for they life, big mystery in that case .

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 09:57:39 AM »
It take 10 yrs 4 dem peeps 2 get a conscience fire bun all ah dem

girl ya take dey blasted words from meh mouth
no man Zul...dat ain't right. Is 10 frigging years man.  steupse

is dem so should face dey facking jail instead
dey whole chambers family mash up  emotionally cause of this incident and is now dem looking to open dey facking arse ?
nah man

look lemme go back and continue congulating Thompson eh
people ain't have no facking conscience nah >:(

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
I was following that case real closely like everybody else mainly because camini maharaj was such a thorough investigative journalist
Incredible detail of piecing together this case in the Express...and then braps....de ting just done just so

Sad to say but soo much time pass plus shitty DNA collection back then..I doubt anybody go ever get arrested for killing that lil fella
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:08:50 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:01:49 PM »
Peps leh we try this case right here right now from  what this man iz sayin he was outside when the kids was bathin in the pool that day,  he saw the the child mother came lookin for she child . she left and came back with the police they search the pool the nex day three girls was bathin in the pool that day they left went inside and the lady came out and was throwin chlorien in the pool she did not see the child in dey but when the police came back and look in the pool the child was dey to the bottom of the pool and she point out the child to the police .funny business going on i think they know wah happen to that child .

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
i think that was posted here before ah was lookin for it this monning but i could not find it .

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »
Re: What is a caiman?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 11:02:29 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is really happening back home ??

"It looks like another Akiel Chambers all over again," said a top homicide investigator last night. Chambers, 11, was found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool in a Maraval home, some 17 hours after he first went missing on May 23, 1998.

He was among a group of children who attended a birthday party for a classmate. A post mortem found he had been buggered. His death remains unsolved.

My question to this day is:

Doh care how old ya child is, if you missing your child let's say for 3 hours, won't you not be climbing pilar to post looking for him ? Common sense part here; You have a pool, children playing by/around/in the pool. Your child come up missing. Where is the first place you would look ??? But as soon as the police reach and pook dey eye in the water, BAM he appear ???

Well oh shit man...look dey vein in meh neck starting to hurt again

ah gone >:(

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 01:23:16 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It looks like another Akiel Chambers all over again," said a top homicide investigator last night. Chambers, 11, was found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool in a Maraval home, some 17 hours after he first went missing on May 23, 1998.

He was among a group of children who attended a birthday party for a classmate. A post mortem found he had been buggered. His death remains unsolved.

Doh care how old ya child is, if you missing your child let's say for 3 hours, won't you not be climbing pilar to post looking for him ? Common sense part here; You have a pool, children playing by/around/in the pool. Your child come up missing. Where is the first place you would look ??? But as soon as the police reach and pook dey eye in the water, BAM he appear ???

lets not be judgemental here with regards to the parents.

thats the whole point they did look in the pool and the child wasn't there then just appear in the pool the next day.

all i know is that something extremely evil happened that day, and there is a whole lot that happened behind the scenes here at varying levels of society which we are not and may never be privy to.

This case upset me so much and continues to do so.

probably my only consolation is that the perpetrators will pay for it in this world or the next.

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
true that Omar.  It looks like dey dump de body dey after de fact to make it look like ah drowning.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »
SO then the child was bugged in dey house by maybe somebody from the  house that had the party  and they feel he would talk so they kill him  had him in the house all the time .

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »
SO then the child was bugged in dey house by maybe somebody from the  house that had the party  and they feel he would talk so they kill him  had him in the house all the time .

quite possible or maybe somewhere on de grounds or maybe next door....suppose de real perp is de man who giving Francis Joseph de story now?

Suppose is he who do it and see de chance to deposit de body when dem went inside fuh breakfast?

eh?  suppose dat is de real story dey?

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 02:26:09 PM »
trini yuh hav me laughin here boy ,yuh good .

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 04:37:16 PM »

lets not be judgemental here with regards to the parents.

thats the whole point they did look in the pool and the child wasn't there then just appear in the pool the next day.

all i know is that something extremely evil happened that day, and there is a whole lot that happened behind the scenes here at varying levels of society which we are not and may never be privy to.

This case upset me so much and continues to do so.

probably my only consolation is that the perpetrators will pay for it in this world or the next.

Well since I wasn't aware of this new theory, I'll take back my words

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 04:39:37 PM »
On another note, i was just speaking to a friend about this same story.
Other than Akiel, did someone else died years after???

The owner's wife or somebody ??
Hopefully i'm not mixing up stories here....

confirm please ?

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
Ti that kind ah im-pass-able that murder took place in that house when she called the children in side i feel she put the child in the pool , but who is the man that mash up the fellar or she use ah dilldoe on the boy .

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 05:01:14 PM »
Ti that kind ah im-pass-able that murder took place in that house when she called the children in side i feel she put the child in the pool , but who is the man that mash up the fellar or she use ah dilldoe on the boy .

Nah it was ah man, they find sperm in his rear

De ting is, the aunt say the pants they find him in was not his because he didnt know how to swim and the aunt warn him repeatedly doh even try...he didnt even go to the party in ah swimmin trunks

Is too bad ah cyah find the reports by camini maharaj she uncover more ting dan de police,, detailed that thing down to the last pin....de fadder wasnt home but it had other 'parents' there

Is because de lil fellah from de EDR area and the murder was up in Halend park dat police really didnt do due diligence
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:08:28 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
I jus have this krazy  feeling that the woman know somethimg about wat went on that day .

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 07:54:18 PM »
ahh boy, this bringing back memories yes....
Akiel doux doux, where ever ya is, no harm coming to you now and ya at peace wid dey almighty.

i have this feeling since i read the story this morning, the true will come to light......and dat feeling strong eh.
mark meh words.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »
Trini d woman stop 2 help a driver who car stall and a next driver ran into she and she loose a leg. ! ah d yute men who change he story like yuh does change a baby diaper take some heavy drugs and kill he grandfadder. Fir ebun all ah dem who know what happen 2 dat chile
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »
A woman has sent a letter to the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, explaining in detail the last moments in the life of 11-year-old Akiel Chambers.

She tried her best to conceal her identity, but it was clear from her account she has knowledge of what transpired at Haleland Park, Maraval, on the afternoon of May 23, 1998, when Akiel disappeared while attending a pool party.

The woman said the entire affair was a cover-up, and pointed out that two senior police officers were behind the matter being “killed.”

“I don’t know, but after all these years, my heart still goes out to this little boy, who died at such a tender age, and to the family who has to undergo so much stress and grief, not knowing what happened to their loved one,” said the woman. “Let’s get to the bottom of this. Help Akiel show the world who his perpetrators are. Let the hearts of the men and women who did him wrong feel the pain.

“It is time for closure of this inquiry. I have faith that there are still good people out there.”

The woman seemed to know a lot about Akiel; that he had a birth mark on the lower right side of the body and that it was the shape of a sugar apple or strawberry.

He lived with his aunt, Valarie Pascal, because his father could not take care of him financially, and his mother lived abroad.

Strange behaviour

Akiel, she said, wanted to be a fire-fighter. At 11, the woman said there was something strange about Akiel’s behaviour.

“He was very particular in the selection of his friends with whom he acquainted himself. He liked to play with girls and continually stayed away from boys.

“He started thinking about the fact that he was a boy, but he was feeling like a girl, emotionally,” the woman wrote. “Akiel used to feel more attracted to boys more than girls, but even then he used to convince himself that he could fight those feelings.

“Akiel used to do very well in school. He was not an active person, though. He wasn’t a lover of sports like football and swimming, but he did like cricket.

“Other boys and fellow male students used to taunt him about these characteristics that he showed. He was very shy, and had a conservative disposition.”

Akiel was invited to the party at the home of Charles and Annelore James. According to the woman, Akiel had his own personal doubts about going to the party, and he mentioned it to his aunt. He did not want to disappoint his friend Carrie James, and forced himself to go.

On the way to the party, Akiel told his aunt, whom he called Ma:

“Ma, I’m getting such an eerie feeling about this party, but God is with me.”

This was when his aunt decided not to let Akiel bathe in the pool, and she took back his beach bag containing his trunks and goggles.

Akiel got very upset and began to plead, but his aunt insisted and made him promise that he would not bathe.

Watched them bathe

Akiel, the woman said, was wearing a cream soft shirt and a brownish-grey pants and black Air-NIKE sneakers. When he arrived at Haleland Park, he sat on a chair adjacent to the pool.

He watched the other children bathe. A woman with a short, relaxed hairstyle, came over to speak to Akiel. She was wearing a red chiffon dress with purple and pink flowers printed on it.

The woman asked Akiel why he wasn’t bathing, and he said his aunt told him not to bathe. The woman then asked Akiel if he wanted anything to eat and drink and he said no. But after a few tries, Akiel accepted.

A man spoke briefly to Akiel and tried to cheer him up. The man eventually left the table, spoke to Mrs James, shook her hand and left.

Another man came over to Akiel’s table and sat near to him all afternoon. They spoke and watched the children play.

“The man tried to talk and be friendly with Akiel, but Akiel tried to keep to himself and said little. Then the man started to talk cricket and then Akiel finally began to talk and laugh about the topic.

After a while, Akiel excused himself to go to the bathroom. The man got up also, put his hand around Akiel and escorted the boy to the washroom.

“After ten minutes, Akiel and the man emerged from the house and Akiel seemingly walked faster than the man in a bid to get away from the man’s company.

Akiel sat nervously at the table and continued to watch the children play. No one was paying attention to Akiel, as he wasn’t bathing, and everyone overlooked the situation.

“An hour later, everyone wanted to stick the cake and everyone ate cake and ice cream. Akiel sat and ate a little cake with the birthday girl.

“A man with a navy blue shorts called Akiel inside the house for something to drink and the birthday girl asked Akiel to bring her something to drink also. Akiel agreed, and jokingly told her not to eat his cake. Akiel never came back out the house and the birthday girl forgot about Akiel and the drink.”

The woman said a man who was at the house gave Akiel some fruit punch to drink with a white tablet fizzling in the liquid in the glass.

Akiel didn’t see the drug and drank the liquid. They smiled and talked and Akiel was told to come inside. Akiel was hesitant, but the man held his upper right arm and insisted Akiel must go inside.

Akiel glanced at the other children playing, and it was the last time he was seen alive.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »
if that shit is true den whoever saw dis going down and did nutten is as guilty!

steups this like a f**king soap opera.

who bull de chile and kill him have to suffer bad..dat is some sick shit dey!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
ahhhhh boy......dey truth will come to light

weary girl ah know ya woulda come and ease meh brain here. ah know somebody did dead after the matter was 'kinda' close.

and people say theres no such ting as karma.....

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
All who involved ting coming back to haunt them.

One kill he father in a drug induced rage and another lorse they leg trying to help a vicitm on the beetham....God doh sleep.

It blatant... people know who bull the lil boy but everybody covering up.

It had two male parents, then the man who used to follow him home on a evening.

Remember how the dna evidence was destroyed years ago and was "lost"

All will pay.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
so dis woman allegedly see akiel drinkin a beverage that had a 'white tablet fizzlin at d bottom' and all dis other information she apparently witness, an wait a whole decade to come forward. wat d hell wrong wid dese people?

all ah dem go collect dey judgement. God doh sleep atall.

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »
so dis woman allegedly see akiel drinkin a beverage that had a 'white tablet fizzlin at d bottom' and all dis other information she apparently witness, an wait a whole decade to come forward. wat d hell wrong wid dese people?
all ah dem go collect dey judgement. God doh sleep atall.
bless!!
exactly, WQ

dis is why a bull pistle was made for oui...
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 05:33:32 AM »
Part 5:  Akiel died in "Haunted House"

One thing which Charles James would like to see is justice for 11-year-old Akiel Chambers, who was found dead in his swimming pool at his Haleland Park, Maraval home, on May 24, 1998.

James, a businessman, does not believe that Akiel drowned and feels that some “sick person” was behind the boy’s death ten years ago.

James feels that the answer is right in his house, that Akiel’s ghost is crying out for someone to take up the case. As far as James is concerned, Akiel did not sexually molest himself, Akiel did not suffocate himself, and Akiel did not carry his body to the pool.

James was one of the many persons who gave evidence before Coroner Sherman Mc Nicolls in 2004.

He remembered that one year after Akiel’s death, his ex-wife Annelore experienced nightmares and made funny noises at night. He said his former wife also complained that the lights and television were going on for themselves and that their matrimonial home at 23 Balata Terrace was haunted. As far as he was concerned, his house is not haunted.

James said there are so many unanswered questions relating to Akiel’s death that maybe, “the boy flew off an avocado tree into his pool.” James said that on May 23, 1998, he left home around 10.30 am to attend races at Santa Rosa Park, Arima. He did not know that his wife was hosting a party at their home on that day. He said that three weeks before, his wife asked his permission to host a pool party for his daughter Carrie, but he said no, that it was dangerous having a pool party. On his return to his home around 8 pm that day, James said he remembered seeing a woman sitting in the entrance of the driveway.

“I said good evening. I opened the door and went inside. I cannot recall if the woman responded. My wife was in the kitchen when I passed through. I went straight to my room.

James said his wife never told him that someone was missing. He said he awoke around five o’clock the next morning and left 35 minutes later for the paddock at Santa Rosa Park and his farm in Arima. James said his wife did not come to bed that night. He could not recall seeing his wife before leaving for Santa Rosa where he remained at the paddock until 10 am. He then went to his farm where he stayed until midday before proceeding to the home of a friend in Arima where he stayed until 2 pm.

James returned to his Maraval residence at 2.45 pm. When asked by the coroner if he had a cell phone, James said yes. He said his phone was on and even if the reception was bad in the area, he was a member of the Betting Levy Board and the PA system at Arima would have relayed a message to him. When he arrived home, James said he saw a marked police jeep in front of his driveway.

“The first thing that went through my mind was that my daughter (Chantal) was in an accident. She had just gotten her driver’s licence. I parked my car, opened the kitchen door and I saw my wife and two policemen sitting around the table.

“The first thing I asked was what happened to Chantal? My wife turned and tell me to sit down. She said ‘you are not going to believe this’ and I asked ‘believe what?’ She said they (the police) found a body in the pool. I asked what body? She said there was a party here and this boy drowned in the pool.”

James said he got very angry, opened the door and visited the pool area. He looked into the pool.

“It was clear as day; you could see a pin at the bottom of the pool.”

James went back inside and asked what had happened.

“I started to question my wife. I wanted to know what was going on. How could a body just turn up in the pool. What time was this party? The information I got was that he was missing since six o’clock on Saturday.”

James said the police stated that they came to his house on Saturday night and checked his pool.

“I said, you came to my house, checked my pool, and told me nothing? I turned to my wife and asked her why I was not told. She said it was not important enough to tell me because the boy was only missing. I turned to the two policemen and told them that the boy did not drown in my pool, because if he had drowned in my pool, it was too clear for no one to see what happened.”

James said he asked the policemen to take samples from his pool to determine whether the water found in Akiel’s lungs was the same. He then went to Henry Street to look for Akiel’s relatives.

“When I got there, a big strong woman came to the door. I told her that I came to pay my respects for what had happened. She told me that I was with the white woman at the police station. I asked the woman if she was sure. Another woman came up and said no, it was not me. I offered to help the family with funeral expenses and I left.”

James said he returned home around 5 pm and asked his wife who was with her at the police station. He said he found out it was one Trevor Craigwell, a parent who attended the party the afternoon before. He said he was never interviewed by the police. He never gave a statement in the matter.

When asked by the coroner if he had anything further to say, James replied: “After a year, my wife tell me she cannot live here anymore, that the lights and the television come on for themselves and that the house is haunted. I told her I never experienced that and the house was not haunted.”

James continued: “There are a lot of unanswered questions to this incident. Something is wrong. The court should get to the bottom of this. My wife used to scream out in the night. She used to make funny noises. I feel the boy flew off an avocado tree and into the pool,” James added.

es. I feel the boy flew off an avocado tree and into the pool,” James added.

Patrick Young was another parent to give evidence before the coroner.

An accountant by profession, Young accompanied his son Mikhail and daughter to a party for Carrie James at Haleland Park on May 23, 1998. He did admit lending his son’s swimming trunks to Akiel before he left the party. Young, who is married, said he met Akiel through his son, both of whom attended Blackman’s Private School in Maraval. He admitted giving Akiel a drop from school on three occasions in the same month in which Akiel died. But he denied ever dropping Akiel to school on mornings. Although he worked at 119 Henry Street, Port-of-Spain, Young said he never knew that Akiel lived at 80-82 Henry Street. On arrival at the James’ residence, Young and his children were greeted by party hostess Annelore James.

At that time, there were about 25 to 30 children, some of whom were already in the swimming pool. He sat at the side of the pool and supervised the children. The coroner wanted to know who asked Young to supervise the children. Young’s reply was “nobody gave me that responsibility. My responsibility was for my children and the other children. There were no life guards available. Common sense told me to supervise the children. It was risky having children there unsupervised.”

Young said he was introduced to Akiel at his son’s school some time before the party. On May 23, 1998, Young admitted speaking to Akiel on that day. He said Akiel approached his son and asked if he had a spare swimming trunks. When told there was none, Akiel walked off. Young remembered seeing Akiel around the pool, but was sure that the boy was never in the water. By 5 pm, Mrs James was ready to stick the cake. By that time, Young said there were about 50 children and six parents, including Trevor Craigwell and Terrence Mc Clean. After the cake was stuck, Young said most of the children returned to the pool.

“Mrs James was in the kitchen. She told me that she did not prepare for so many children and parents. She remained in the kitchen for most of the time. I can’t recall seeing her around the pool.”

Young said when the cake was stuck, he did not see Akiel. About 5.30 pm, Young told his son to come out of the pool as it was time to leave.

“I telephoned my wife to tell her what time we would be coming. My wife was concerned that my children were at the pool party and that they could not swim. My children changed their clothes. Akiel came over to where we were sitting at the side of the pool and asked my son to use his swimming trunks. Mikhail told him ‘you will have to ask my dad.’”

Young said okay to which Akiel promised to return it the following Monday. He said Akiel took the trunks and walked across the pool to the changing room area. Young then told Mrs James that they were leaving. He said that around 6.30 pm, he received a call from Mrs James asking if Akiel left with him.

“I said no. She said they were searching and they couldn’t find him.”

Around 12.30 am, Young said someone from the Maraval Police Station called and asked him some “random” questions. When asked by the coroner what were the questions, Young said he could not remember.

“How could you not remember what the police asked you?” Mc Nicolls asked.

Young replied: “My father was killed two days before on the 21st by a maxi-taxi. An ex-con ran into my car. I had a lot on my mind to be remembering the questions.”

But Mc Nicolls was not impressed. He called on Young to try and remember the questions. Young said questions which the police asked were like, “what time he left the party. What time he reached home etc.”

Young said the police asked those questions because they were searching for Akiel.

The following day, Young said Craigwell called him to say that they found Akiel at the bottom of the pool.

“My wife answered the phone and passed it to me. I turned pale.” Young said the water in the swimming pool on May 23, 1998 was clear. He could have seen the bottom of the pool.

The witness said he gave two statements to the police. On August 13, 1998, Young said PC Clive Alvarez came to his office with the swim trunks. “He asked me if this was the pants my son had on. I said yes. The conversation was short. That was it, really.”

Young said he never asked Akiel if he could swim. He said there were at least 20 children in the pool who could not swim, including his son and daughter. Young said the parents at the party were drinking beer and Johnny Walker Black whiskey, contrary to what Mrs James said days before that only wine was being served.

Young said he did not find it odd that Akiel asked his son for his swimming trunks. He said he left the party before Akiel was discovered missing. He said it was a surprise to hear that Mrs James stated that he (Young) was present when Akiel went missing. Young denied telling Mrs James that he lent his son’s swimming trunks to Akiel.

“I don’t know why Mrs James would invent that.” He also denied assisting in the search for the missing boy. Before he completed his testimony, Young wanted one question answered. “Did Mrs James say what time I left the party?”

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:39 AM »
unbelievable yes...
is the lies ah cyah take.

ah done >:(

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »
I have two questions (not sure if they were addressed before)

yuh cyar fake ah drowing.  No matter how backward DNA was in T&T then, ah drownin death is different.  Autopsy would show dat. So if he body was dumped in de pool after he was killed, den is more dan witnesses hiding ting

Meh second question is jes outta curiousity....what school he was goin dat he end up in ah pool party in Haleand Park if he was living ED?.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »
Blackman's answer 4 d second question. As 4 question 1 d coroner who ruled d death naturall courses should b removed as a Magistrate

1]; } ?>