April 19, 2024, 04:29:27 PM

Author Topic: Trinidad's Joe Public stuns Atlante in Cancun.  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Trinidad's Joe Public stuns Atlante in Cancun.
« on: October 03, 2008, 03:58:14 AM »
Trinidad's Joe Public stuns Atlante in Cancun.

CANCUN, Mexico – Roen Nelson scored his second goal of the CONCACAF Champions League™ in the 57th minute and Joe Public FC stunned Mexico’s Atlante FC 1:0 Thursday to restore its hopes in the continental competition.

The victory gave Joe Public three points and moved it into a tie for third with CD Olimpia in Group C as the phase of the competition reached its midpoint. Montreal leads the group with seven points, three more than Atlante, which last week was held to a 0:0 draw by the Impact.

Joe Public, coming off a penalty kick loss to W Connection in the Trinidad & Tobago First Citizen’s Cup final six days earlier, appeared content to absorb pressure and counterattack, largely limiting the Mexican side to chances from distance.

Nelson, who last scored in a 4:0 victory over the New England Revolution in the Preliminary Round, converted on one of Joe Public’s few chances. A free kick was headed into the path of Nelson, who escaped his marker, Giancarlos Maldonado, and found himself alone on the left side of the penalty area.

Nelson calmly struck a right-footed volley from 12 yards that left goalkeeper Frederico Vilar with no chance.

The loss snapped a five-game unbeaten streak for Atlante and eight without a loss at home.

The goal seemed to spark Atlante, resulting in several good chances, most notably by Maldonado.

He shot high in the 59th while unmarked at the right post and then forced Joe Public goalkeeper Alejandro Figueroa into a reaction save in the 62nd.

Both teams finished the game with 10 men when Jose Carevic of Atlante was ejected for a foul in the third minute of injury time and Joe Public's Gregory Richardson followed with a red card for dissent.

Joe Public will play its next two games at home, on Wednesday against Montreal and on 21 October against Atlante.

Two of Atlante’s remaining three games are away from home, starting next week when it travels to Honduras on Wednesday to face Olimpia and followed by the return leg against Joe Public.

Atlante FC: - 3-Federico Vilar; 17-Daniel Guerrero, 14-Ignacio Hierro, 20-Andrés Carevic, 29-Daniel García (2-Javier David Muñoz 46th); 15-Arturo Muñoz, 27-Raymundo Torres, 28-Fernando Herrera, 7-Fernando Navarro (18-Christian Bermúdez 51st); 25-José Omar Cervantes (11-Luis Gabriel Rey 46th), 9-Giancarlo Maldonado.

Coach: - José Guadalupe Cruz.

Joe Public: - 1-Alejandro Figueroa; 23-Keyeno Thomas, 20-Christopher Harvey, 13-Jason Springer, 19-Carlyle Mitchell, 8-Dale Saunders; 10-Lyndon Andrews (30-Silas Spann 63rd), 17-Kerry Baptiste, 14-Roen Nelson, 21-Gregory Richardson, 16-Kerry Noray (7-Shane Calderon 72nd).

Coach: - Keith Griffith.

CONCACAF.COM
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:21:25 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad's Joe Public stuns Atlante in Cancun.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »
This is the biggest result in the history of Trinidad club football.

This has to be a first!! I know connection beat chivas in Trinidad but i sure no one even expected joe public to make a note in mexico.

ah love it!!

nb: Thank you joe public for flying de PFL flag high!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:23:38 AM »

This has to be a first!! I know connection beat chivas in Trinidad but i sure no one even expected joe public to make a note in mexico.

ah love it!!

I believe so too, but question, when Army won the earlier version of this tournament in 85, did they have similar high profile wins?  One would assume so since they won the tournament outright, Tallman, whey yuh?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:48 AM »
was this on fox soccer channel? i missed this

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:29 AM »
HAHAHAHA.

Great result. Honestly, if at the begnning of the tournament you said they would lose the first two away games and win at home, I would have thought that the most likely set of results. Winning away in Mexico makes up for the home loss and puts JP where they would probably deserve to be realistically after 3 rounds of games. If JP can beat Montreal at home in the next game..things will be blown wide open in the group.

By the way..allyuh eh find the stadium look like the HC in them highlights  ;D

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
well done JP.  would have liked to see the game though cuz highlights showin a few missed sitters.  seem like the karate kid really special.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
So Chubby run things better than Dwarika in the middle or what?

I find Dwarika kept tryign too many through balls in the last two games, and not once did the pass get past the defenders.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
  :applause: but dey still need tuh wok on dey passin, men passin de ball and just give in it away..

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
How about Derek King being referred to as keith Griffith whole night ??

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »
The most frustrating thing about watching JP play is how the midfield collapse in defence especially through the middle and in transition.

Men just dropping their heads and jogging back and not getting goalside.

Keyano was great as usual last night in the defence !

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
This game funny boy,it will still have those who will rate JP a shyt team,even Nelson is no good and look the team without Dwarika did well against guess who a Mexican team in Mexico,sometimes i wonder if is Jack or JP we really refering too,at least McComie is gone so that helping a bit.It have some peeps always waiting for you to lose.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »
This game funny boy,it will still have those who will rate JP a shyt team,even Nelson is no good and look the team without Dwarika did well against guess who a Mexican team in Mexico,sometimes i wonder if is Jack or JP we really refering too,at least McComie is gone so that helping a bit.It have some peeps always waiting for you to lose.

Is like you does just siddung and wait fuh any opportunity tuh take people opinion and throw it in dey face or what dred?  'Bout "this game funny".  De game ent funny people just have they own opinions.  JP was very good against NE and men was overrating them.  They come and pull stones against Montreal and men blast them fuh it... what any of that have to do with yuh fadda Jack?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
Congrate big win dat
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
Great result. Sorry I had to miss it even though it sound like it was painful to watch.

ps:was there a suspicion of hand ball from the player who brought down the ball before Nelson score?

pss: I was one of those who bad talk Nelson since the NE game but I can't comment on him tonight other than for the goal. Let me put on mih disgruntled coat...

"Golazo my ---, you really think he was TRYING to do the more complicated thing and aim for the far post top corner? *steups* Fluke shot...  :devil:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:10 PM »

when last take ennn some pro-league matches?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »
saw de game last nite.noray played well.public had real sweet chances in de 2nd half.nelson volley was nice.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »

Is like you does just siddung and wait fuh any opportunity tuh take people opinion and throw it in dey face or what dred?  'Bout "this game funny".  De game ent funny people just have they own opinions.  JP was very good against NE and men was overrating them.  They come and pull stones against Montreal and men blast them fuh it... what any of that have to do with yuh fadda Jack?
      Aye Breds JP getting pong ever since they were formed,weather they play good bad or ugly,they tired win the Pro league and beat all the so called better teams in the country,you all never give that team any credit,their Coach was the worst and still is,they have one or two foreign players peeps have problems with that.
       You saying i does just siddung and wait,yes i does siddung and wait because that's what everybody does on here,just wait for not just JP to lose but T&T too,if you know anything about Football you will know why they lost against Montreal but it have certain peeps i will not discuss Football with that's why i don't discuss Football on this forum.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:00:33 PM by Coop's »

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »
Based on what JP has done so far anybody think the TT Pro league should get 1 automatic spot to the CCL?  Or even based on the home results that other Pro League teams have had when the competition was the CCC.  Jabloteh mashing up Chicago fire 5-2 and W Connection beating Chivas 1-0.  I could be wrong but I  don't think any MLS team has beaten a Mexican team in Mexico.

I am tempted to say that if MLS can get 4 automatic spots (and they have been woeful so far) then maybe we should get 1 automatic spot. Keep in mind that Joe Public is in 6th or 7th place in the league.  Who knows what one of the higher placed teams would do.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
      Aye Breds JP getting pong ever since they were formed,weather they play good bad or ugly,they tired win the Pro league and beat all the so called better teams in the country,you all never give that team any credit,their Coach was the worst and still is,they have one or two foreign peeps have problems with that.
       You saying i does just siddung and wait,yes i does siddung and wait because that's what everybody does on here,just wait for not just JP to lose but T&T too,if you know anything about Football you will know why they lost against Montreal but it have certain peeps i will not discuss Football with that's why i don't discuss Football on this forum.  

As much as I hear what yuh saying... I still disagree with yuh first post.  When man criticizing de soca warriors 9/10 it is justified in my mind... you and others free to disagree.  Same with JP... when they beat up NE man start all kinda talk how the Pro League better than de "shitty" MLS... den ah A-League team come and manners dem twice.  Now they beat a Mexican team at home and is de greatest accomplishment fuh ah local team.  As I said after the Montreal loss... dis is the main reason I doh get too high or too low with local teams. 

The harsh truth is that none of our teams, whether national team or professional teams... are good enough to the point that they are posting consistent results on a regular basis.  Good games will be followed by horrendous showings and vice versa.  We lack quality... plain and simple.  Quality is what breeds consistency... as the saying goes, form is temporary, class is permanent... in my mind quality is that necessary intermediary between form and class.

All that said, it's silly to go overboard with praise or the blame, living and dying with each game.  Equally silly in my mind to sit in silence and just pounce conveniently on every opportunity to reproach men about things said weeks, months in the past... and do so repeatedly.  But whatever... can't tell men what and how to post.

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
Did Derek King play for T&T under 17 back in de eightiess?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:42:09 PM by TdotTrini »
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 03:12:04 PM »

ah love it!!

I believe so too, but question, when Army won the earlier version of this tournament in 85, did they have similar high profile wins?  One would assume so since they won the tournament outright, Tallman, whey yuh?

My understanding is that teh Army ended up sharing the title. Lack of funding led to the decision as the competition could not be completed.

PS I may be wrong Coops will know better
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »

No the nineties... he was the U-17 captain for qualifiers for the U-17 World Cup in Egypt 97.
Then Bertille take him under he wing from around 99 to 04 on the senior team... I eh know wha happen to he after that... like he overs football after ppl start to call him Bertille son

Cornell Glen, Scott Sealy, Kester Cornwall, Isa Ar-Razi, Kerwyn Jack, Andres Alexander, Gary Gibbings was on that same U-17 side...

Big players like Josh Johnson and Kerry Baptiste and also FF :'( did not make the final team... (yes ah grouping up meh name with dem fellas ;D )
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »
Big players like FF :'( did not make the final team... (yes ah grouping up meh name with dem fellas ;D )

So who end up gettin de Aqua Engineer wuk?  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
Big players like FF :'( did not make the final team... (yes ah grouping up meh name with dem fellas ;D )

Me eh know nah... but ah woulda take it oui...  :rotfl:

The staff find meh water bottle throwing and gathering skills was sub-par just like meh game  :'(
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
Observer,
                Army won it outright one year. I think Police was joint champions with one of them CA teams. Tallman????

JP play like "Mr. Hyde" last night. They win. Someone observed that Atlante was still running thru the middle. That is quite thru. JP defence played well to contain their opponents. I did not see the entire game. From what I saw they were holding their own against Atlante.

I thought Dwarika was very much into the game, but someone mentioned that he was trying to do to much and the final passes were going to the wrong men. But I still think he should be on the TT squad. I am biased to Dwarika.  I think he still  has a little bit of magic. All yuh might disagree with me on that one.

Yes, JP is the first TT team to beat a Mexican team in Mex(Tallman correct me I am in error). But All yuh must remember that game was played in Cancun(sea-level). believe you me that is a big difference from playing in Mex. City, Toluca or Guadalajara.

But congrats to JP. They look rested. they played well.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »

Me eh know nah... but ah woulda take it oui...  :rotfl:

The staff find meh water bottle throwing and gathering skills was sub-par just like meh game  :'(

;D ;D

Dah staff mus be did learn under Wim... >:( 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 04:08:33 PM »
boy this JP have me rel confuse one minute they playing a pack ah ass the next they knocking ball  ::) Well that mean the pro league better than the Mexican league  :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:12:00 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
Die.Hard,
               Yuh real jokey!!!!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »

No the nineties... he was the U-17 captain for qualifiers for the U-17 World Cup in Egypt 97.
Then Bertille take him under he wing from around 99 to 04 on the senior team... I eh know wha happen to he after that... like he overs football after ppl start to call him Bertille son

Cornell Glen, Scott Sealy, Kester Cornwall, Isa Ar-Razi, Kerwyn Jack, Andres Alexander, Gary Gibbings was on that same U-17 side...

Big players like Josh Johnson and Kerry Baptiste and also FF :'( did not make the final team... (yes ah grouping up meh name with dem fellas ;D )

Ahright then, did we host an international tournament in 87, US, Canada, maybe Argentina.......

Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

1]; } ?>