April 19, 2024, 05:14:39 PM

Author Topic: 2008 NFL Thread  (Read 15364 times)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 NFL Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
mangini gone too.

good for him.

hopefully shanahan know better than to go there. i hope the jets get stick with another waste of time coach.

i finding it hard to find a team to support in the playoffs. as long as is not eagles, giants, colts, dolphins i go be ok.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
wha de armen wrong wid Atlanta today
is like they playing in pre-season mode
anyway go Cardinals :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
wha de armen wrong wid Atlanta today
is like they playing in pre-season mode
anyway go Cardinals :D

Cardinals putting it on dem fuh real...

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
Hopin for ah Steelers vs Giants super bowl...

Dolphins vs Ravens will be a big game tomorrow though
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2009, 08:31:27 PM »

Would love to see Manning v. Manning... although Colts offense have mih li'l tizic.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »

Would love to see Manning v. Manning... although Colts offense have mih li'l tizic.

So much for that... Colts got shafted by the refs late in the game.

SD wins 23-17 in OT... Sproles with 328 total yards.

truetrini

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2009, 10:17:57 PM »

Harrison 1st undrafted AP Defensive Player of Year

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer Jan 6, 4:10 am EST

PITTSBURGH (AP)—James Harrison wasn’t drafted out of Kent State, was cut four times before finally making it onto an NFL roster, yet is The Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year in only his second season as a Pittsburgh Steelers starter.

A tough road? For sure. Now, it gets even more difficult for Harrison, a self-made player who won an honor normally reserved for stars.

Joe Greene, Mel Blount and Jack Lambert, Defensive Players of the Year for the Steelers during the 1970s, are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Rod Woodson, the 1993 winner, could be enshrined in Canton as early as next year.

So all Harrison must do is play at a Hall of Fame level the rest of his career, right?

“I’ve got a whole bunch more to go to even be mentioned in the category of that group of guys,” Harrison said.

What Harrison has done in a brief time is remarkable enough.

Harrison earned 22 votes to 13 for Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters. The award began in 1971 and, while a large percentage of the winners were first-round draft picks, Harrison is a different kind of first—the only non-drafted player to win.
ADVERTISEMENT
click here

“It couldn’t happen to a better guy,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “He’s worked his tail off to get to where he is. You appreciate it more, considering where he came from and how he got here.”

Supposedly too short and not quite fast enough to play in the league, Harrison was helped along by two major breaks after not getting any for a couple of years.

A week before the Steelers went to camp in 2004, outside linebacker Clark Haggans was injured, causing coach Bill Cowher to bring back Harrison literally hours before camp began. Harrison had been cut three times previously by Pittsburgh. Later that season, Joey Porter got into a pregame fight in Cleveland, and Harrison unexpectedly made his first NFL start.

“Somebody else’s misfortune is somebody else’s fortune,” Harrison said. “It’s just hard work, perseverance and little blessings here and there.”

A lot of sacks, too—24 1/2 the last two seasons.

The intense, competitive Harrison began progressing after he quit fighting the structure and regimen of pro ball, so much so the Steelers released Porter after the 2006 season and made Harrison a starter. He was chosen by his teammates as their MVP in each of the two seasons since.

“It should have been unanimous,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

This season, Harrison had a team-record 16 sacks and led the league with seven forced fumbles as the Steelers allowed the fewest total yards, passing yards and points. They just missed—by about 60 yards—becoming the first defense since the 1970 NFL merger to lead the league in the four major defensive statistics.

“I do what the defense allows me to do and what my teammates allow me to do,” Harrison said. “If those other 10 guys do their job, I do my job and play within the confines of the defense and how coach (Dick) LeBeau teaches us, I make the plays I’m able to make.”

Teammate James Farrior said Harrison’s workouts remain the talk of the locker room. Harrison works out as many as three times daily during the offseason, adding an evening workout if he didn’t like one of his daytime sessions.

“He’s very tuned into what he has to do to make himself better,” Farrior said. “That’s all he strives for, to try to be better than anybody else, and you can see his determination when he’s out there on the field.”

Harrison still plays on special teams—he had 12 tackles there—and is so willing to take on extra roles that he filled in as a long snapper when Greg Warren was hurt Oct. 26 against the Giants. Even when Harrison’s bad snap led to a Giants safety, his teammates rushed to defend him.

While the Steelers had four Defensive Players of the Year from 1972-76 (Greene (1972, 1974), Blount (1975) and Lambert (1976), Harrison and Woodson are their only winners in the last 32 years.

What a coincidence that two of the best linebackers in their history came from the same school—Lambert also played at Kent State—and both were downgraded by some scouts for supposedly not being physically equipped to play in the league.

“Just to prove people wrong and I can do this,” Harrison said when asked what motivates him. “I can do this at this level.”

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »
that Harrison fella is a good story.  I remember when he body slam the fan that charge him.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 08:53:15 PM »
Harrison is a beast... reminds me a lot of ex-Steeler, Greg Lloyd.

In other news... Mangini supposed signed a 4-year deal to coach the Browns, and supposedly wants Rob Ryan (Raiders defensive coach) to coach the Cleveland D.

Pacman Jones was also released by the Cowboys... supposedly new information surfaced regarding his involvement in a 'violent felony' committed while with the Titans.  If true, expect the league to get involved... and for his career to end.

Good slate of games this weekend... Giants have a tough match up this weekend with Philly... but what else is new there.  Still expect a victory.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »
Harrison is a beast... reminds me a lot of ex-Steeler, Greg Lloyd.

In other news... Mangini supposed signed a 4-year deal to coach the Browns, and supposedly wants Rob Ryan (Raiders defensive coach) to coach the Cleveland D.

Pacman Jones was also released by the Cowboys... supposedly new information surfaced regarding his involvement in a 'violent felony' committed while with the Titans.  If true, expect the league to get involved... and for his career to end.

Good slate of games this weekend... Giants have a tough match up this weekend with Philly... but what else is new there.  Still expect a victory.

Reports saying he Rob Ryan to the Browns is a done deal.

I'm surprised Mangini got a job so quickly. His mannerisms on the sideline were horrible this year - he had some of the biggest eyerolls and sour faces after every Favre interception. Maybe as Teddy Atlas say, Mangini never wanted Favre. I dont question his qualifications as a tactician but I question his ability as a leader.

1 Manning down, 1 Manning to go (maybe not this week though coz I dont like Philly)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
Pacman is ah real imps... I was ready to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's unfair that they cut him based on just an allegation...but nah, this fool deserve to be banned for life at this point.

They just detailed the story on Outside The Lines...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3817709&categoryid=2459789

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2009, 11:37:47 PM »
Turnovers, penalties cost Titans in loss to RavensUpdated: January 10, 2009, 8:35 PM NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - As grudge matches go, this was worthy of the WWE. The Baltimore Ravens survived 13-10 against the Tennessee Titans on Saturday thanks to Matt Stover's 43-yard field goal with 53 seconds remaining.

Two teams with an extreme dislike for each other never stopped pounding it out in the wind and rain.
The difference: Baltimore forced three turnovers and never gave away the ball.
And when Joe Flacco led a 51-yard drive in the dying minutes to set up Stover's winning kick, the Ravens (13-5) were headed to the AFC championship game. Led by the first rookie quarterback to win two playoff games, the Ravens will play at Pittsburgh or San Diego next week for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

Baltimore's postseason run looks eerily similar to when it won the championship after the 2000 season. Back then, it also was a wild card and also won in Tennessee on the way to the title.

This victory was engineered by a brutal defense that forced mistakes by the Titans (13-4), who had the league's best record this season.

It was so rugged that the highlight-reel play was All-Pro linebacker Ray Lewis' explosive second-quarter hit on Titans fullback Ahmard Hall near the sideline. Hall's helmet flew off and both players began jawing at each other.

The nasty words never stopped flowing. But the Ravens backed it up with just enough points, climaxed by the winning kick from the last member of the Ravens who played when the franchise was in Cleveland.

The 40-year-old Stover also made a 21-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter for a 10-7 lead.

Rob Bironas kicked a 27-yard field goal with 4:23 left in regulation to tie it at 10.

Then, the unflappable Flacco connected with Todd Heap on a 23-yard pass on third down, eventually leading to the winning kick.

Flacco almost had a major blunder on Baltimore's next-to-last series when he nearly stepped out of the back of the end zone while passing. Few replays were shown at LP Field, and Titans coach Jeff Fisher dismissed the play afterward.

"We lost as a result of our own self-inflicted mistakes," he said. "We just didn't take advantage of our opportunities today."

Tennessee, a plus-14 in turnover margin while winning the AFC South, wasted a half-dozen scoring opportunities with errors. One came on Samari Rolle's interception at the Ravens 12 on a popup Kerry Collins threw under pressure from a blitz in the second period. Another was Collins' fourth-down fumble in Baltimore territory, which the quarterback recovered. The third was LenDale White's fumble at the Baltimore 17 in the final minute of the half.

White was in for rookie Chris Johnson, who left with his right ankle wrapped late in the first half. Without Johnson, the Titans moved well through the air, with Justin Gage making 10 receptions for 135 yards.

But they couldn't finish.

When their season was finished, veteran linebacker Keith Bulluck slammed down a few small metal barriers lining the tunnel leading to the Titans' locker room.

Baltimore led the league with 34 takeaways, won the turnover battle last week in a 27-9 wild-card victory at Miami, then did so again Saturday. Perhaps the biggest Tennessee turnover came with about 9 minutes to go when Alge Crumpler fumbled near the Baltimore goal line. Fabian Washington recovered, preventing the Titans from taking a late lead.

With Johnson dominating early, the Titans went on top 7-0. Collins hit all three passes on a 65-yard drive that was helped by an illegal contact penalty on former Titans cornerback Rolle.

Johnson, the only rookie in the Pro Bowl, covered 28 yards with a screen pass, and Collins hit Gage for 20 yards before Johnson surged right and dived into the end zone for a 7-0 edge.

Flacco, who struggled in a 13-10 loss to the Titans on Oct. 5 in Baltimore, matched that touchdown with a 48-yard throw down the right sideline to another former Titan, Derrick Mason.

The second quarter was scoreless, but very confrontational, with as much pushing, shoving and yelling as catching and tackling. Just what should be expected from two such physically punishing teams.

Bironas missed a 51-yard field goal midway in the third period despite having the wind at his back, adding to Tennessee's litany of blunders. And when Jim Leonhard returned a punt 29 yards to the Titans 41, Baltimore finally had good field position.

A 37-yard pass to Mark Clayton on which two defenders missed the ball got the Ravens to the 4. Stover's 21-yard field goal 50 seconds into the fourth quarter gave the Ravens their first lead.

His 43-yarder moved them within one game of the Super Bowl, and considering how the Steelers and Giants won the big game via that route in recent years, who can bet against them?

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2009, 01:38:22 AM »
Yuh think that was turnover?  Jake Delhome threw 5 interceptions and had a fumble, accounting for all of Carolina's turnovers in a 33-13 loss to underdogs Arizona.  And he did all that on his birthday no less. 

Hard luck dey for the favorites today.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
Looks like my super bowl prediction blowin up...giants gettin licks and i hear big ben not 100% for d steelers game. ah doh like how tings shapin up...it will be cards vs eagles for nfc title...i doh really wanna c any ah dem in superbowl
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »
.... absolute shit.

Outscored!

Outplayed!

Outcoached!

Go Cardinals.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »
good riddance giants

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »
i eh know wuh was wrong with eli today,he studyin that flickin lickin oreo competition with de william sisters.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2009, 10:38:06 PM »
   Venus
     ELI
    Peyton
   Serena

What daiz ah double oreo ,if ah ever see one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
   Venus
     ELI
    Peyton
   Serena

:rotfl:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
one of de classiest men in de nfl callin it quits,tony dungy retiring.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
   Venus
     ELI
    Peyton
   Serena

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
Go Ravens........

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steelers Shared Resources With 2 Teams During World War II
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Steelers Shared Resources With 2 Teams During World War II

By JOSHUA ROBINSON, New York Times
Published: January 14, 2009

If the Pittsburgh Steelers book a trip to the Super Bowl, where they would face the Arizona Cardinals or the Philadelphia Eagles, there will be the faintest hint of fratricide in the air. After all, the Steelers have shared more than just a common purpose with each team. They have also shared a stadium, a locker room and a jersey.

A program, left, for the Eagles-Steelers vs. the Giants in 1943, and one for the Steelers-Cardinals vs. the Giants in 1944.

As national duty cut into N.F.L. rosters during World War II — more than 600 players were drafted at a time when teams seldom carried more than 28 — franchises scrambled for solutions. So in 1943, the Steelers and the Eagles became the Steagles, and in 1944, the Steelers and the Cardinals became Card-Pitt, all in the interest of keeping professional football alive during the war.

But today, in the age of endless player pipelines and billion-dollar franchises, they are largely forgotten.

“I grew up in Philadelphia and to me, it’s always been the answer to a trivia question,” Matthew Algeo, author of “Last Team Standing,” said about the Steagles’ only season. “The N.F.L. is funny that way; it’s like nothing existed before the Super Bowl. It’s a little surprising that it’s not better known.”

After the Cleveland Rams, whose owners were off fighting for Uncle Sam, decided to suspend operations for the 1943 season, N.F.L. Commissioner Elmer Layden was not about to let the entire season go the way of that year’s Indianapolis 500 — scratched to save gasoline — or the United States Open golf tournament — canceled because the rubber used in golf balls could not be spared.

So when Layden saw that the Steelers had only six players under contract and that the Eagles were down to about a dozen, he suggested a temporary merger between teams whose history was already intertwined. (Both joined the league the same year and, through much wrangling, were once traded by their respective owners.) Layden figured the arrangement would keep both franchises alive and solve his problem of trying to create a schedule for nine teams.

“Had to do it,” the Steelers co-owner Bert Bell said in an interview with The New York Times that summer. “Pittsburgh had no backs left and Philadelphia had no linemen.”

With a roster full of 4-Fs — men ineligible for the draft — Phil-Pitt was born. Newspaper columnists dubbed the team the Steagles, even though the plan was for them to be called the Eagles without a city in the name.

The players were pooled, and few football fans complained. “Both teams had been so bad that there was no worry of their becoming a superteam,” Algeo said.

But by the season’s end, the Steagles had become a decent one.

Playing most of their games in Philadelphia in the Eagles’ green and white, the Steagles finished 5-4-1. It was the first winning season in the Eagles’ 11-year history and the second for the Steelers.

Under Greasy Neale of Philadelphia and Walt Kiesling of Pittsburgh, who served as co-coaches, the Steagles also contributed to the game’s development. Because Neale and Kiesling hated each other, they divided responsibilities along the lines of offense and defense. Modern offensive and defensive coordinators were thus born of a loveless marriage.

After the team dissolved, the Eagles were able to stand alone for the 1944 season. But with the Rams returning to the league, and the newly formed Boston Yanks joining, Layden had 11 teams. So the Steelers once again agreed to a merger, this time with the Chicago Cardinals.

That season, Card-Pitt, as the team was known, became rooted to the bottom of standings and set a benchmark for futility. The Detroit Lions might have posted the worst record in league history in 2008 by going 0-16, but they were only one team. It took two teams in 1944 to go a perfectly useless 0-10. Card-Pitt became better known as the Carpets, because opponents ran over them.

But at least the Steelers’ Kiesling got along much better with his new coaching partner, Phil Handler of Chicago. The problem, according to Algeo, was that Kiesling and Handler might have gotten along a little too well. “Legend has it they spent more time at the racetrack than watching game film,” he said.

The season-long debacle began with a 22-0 defeat in an exhibition game against Philadelphia and kept devolving. The Carpets cobbled together eight passing touchdowns all season but threw 41 interceptions — more than one a quarter. Thirteen belonged to the hapless quarterback John McCarthy, according to a 2003 article from the Pro Football Researchers Association newsletter.

Still, the Carpets were not entirely devoid of talent. Running back Johnny Grigas, who was named to The Daily News’s 1944 all-pro team, ran for 610 yards in the first nine games. But the stench of failure inside the locker room was getting to him, sapping his will. Two players had been fined for “indifferent play,” and the night before the team’s final game, against the mighty Chicago Bears — favored by four touchdowns — Grigas disappeared. He knew the game could not be pretty.

By kickoff, Grigas was already on a train out of town. All he left behind were a note to his roommate — it read simply, “This is the end,” according to The Chicago Tribune — and a letter to the team’s management.

“When your mind is changed because of the physical beating, week in and week out, your soul isn’t in the game,” he wrote, adding: “I tried to win and worked hard, but the work-horse, as I was termed by the newspapers, is almost ready for the farm. In closing all I can say is I’m deeply sorry — but these are things which can’t be fully explained. Good luck and may the team win just this one.”

Card-Pitt lost, 49-7.

For the Steelers and Cardinals at least, the temporary brotherhood may be better off forgotten.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
Pittsburgh's Mayor Changes his name from 'Ravenstahl' to 'Steelerstahl'

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/18478637/detail.html#-

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Gruden just get fired.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »
Gruden just get fired.

Overrated.

The Glazers gave Dungy a much shorter leash... and look he was able to write he own ticket in Indy, and what Gruden achieved?  Haul allyuh ass.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
Cardinals to the Superbowl!
McNabb play a boss game in the 2nd half, but come up short. I sure T.O. laughing.

Now for the real championship game. Baltimore vs Pittsburgh.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
McNabb play a boss game in the 2nd half, but come up short. I sure T.O. laughing.

TO worried about gettin cut and he has the same number of rings as Mc Nabb. F^ckin kicker pull rell stones today. Say wah- go Flyers!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

McNabb played his ass off that second half... I felt for him that he came up short and was glad that it came down to the defense failing to stop Arizona and not that he caused them the game himself.  Something I notice with Aikman yrs now... he's very critical of McNabb... harping on shit.  Half the 'erratic' passes McNabb threw in the first half was hardly as terrible as Aikman was making it seem.  I agree that the one pass he threw low to Greg Lewis... had he hit him in stride it would have been 6 pts... that's about it.

Even so... I glad they lost.  McNabb does, but the fans and skinflint organization don't... dem could haul dey ass.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »
Steelers to the Super Bowl
second time in 4 years
Its going to be a Steelers Victory...ya heard it here first ;)
Tomlin learned evrything he knows about football from his Dad who played in the CFL......right TT? ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:35:00 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>