May 10, 2024, 11:37:55 PM

Author Topic: The Fifth Official: MLS vs EPL  (Read 2743 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
The Fifth Official: MLS vs EPL
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »
The Fifth Official: MLS vs EPL
It’s a debate that can’t be decided on the field, so it has to be spun in the soccer bars and newsrooms instead. Goal.com’s Greg Lalas talks to some English MLSers about how the US league compares to England’s vaunted Premier League.

Right or wrong, I spend a lot of time in bars. It’s not that I’m a big drinker, but a barstool is one of the best soapboxes in the world (just behind an online column). Perched on that swiveling lectern, orators of varying talents can pontificate on everything from Aristotelian ethics to Sarah Palin’s vice-presidential qualifications to the artistic influence of Motley Crue. And because they’re in a bar when they run their mouth off, they generally escape unscathed. Often mocked, but unscathed.

There is, however, a certain type of bar and a particular topic of conversation that skews the dynamic. In a soccer pub,...sorry, football pub, where the glasses are imperial pints, the waitresses say “cheers” instead of “thank you,” and the words “Premier League” are spoken of in divine tones, if one dares to bring up Major League Soccer, he is liable to stagger out with a bloodied nose or, at least, a bruised ego.

Yes, I’m exaggerating. There are plenty of soccer barflies around the country who embrace and support MLS. But the reality is, the vast majority of EPL fans—both expat Brits and well-traveled Americans—see MLS as a far inferior brand of the beautiful game.

This is understandable. After all, MLS is not on par with the EPL in terms of money, big-name players, history or global media reach. John Terry’s annual salary could fund about four or five MLS teams, considering the US league’s stringent salary cap.

And yet, despite all the seeming inequalities, there is still a conversation to be had about how MLS—which concludes its 13th season this weekend—stacks up against the EPL—which traces its history back more than a century. It’s a conversation, er, argument I’ve had a thousand times with people around the world, both barflies and professional players. If you’ve ever had a similar discussion, you know how fun and boisterous they can be.

Unfortunately, the MLS vs. EPL question cannot be resolved on the field because the teams never play a meaningful game against each other (the MLS all-star game is fun, but it’s basically a pick-up game with a big crowd). So we’re left with hypotheticals. Which is what this article is about.

I spoke to several MLS players and coaches about how MLS compares to the EPL. But here’s how I set up the question: If a team could play its best XI for the entire season, with no injuries, no international absences, and no congestions issues due to non-league games, how would the top MLS team—take your pick, Columbus, Houston, New England—do in the Premier League?

“Near the bottom
,” San Jose Earthquakes winger Darren Huckerby tells me. The 32-year-old had stints with several EPL and Championship teams before coming to America. “Houston is a good solid team. But even they would struggle. It’s different over there. The teams are big, strong, fast, and technical.”

Would the Dynamo survive? I ask.

“Could do,” he replies. “Good teams can do well. It’s not just players, but teams.”

This team-oriented sentiment is one that New England Revolution assistant coach Paul Mariner echoes. He’s burnishes a CV that includes a World Cup with England, decades with Ipswich Town and Arsenal, and twenty years in the US.

“Survival is a tall order,” he says. “Some would say ‘They’d get hammered.’ But if you think about a team like Hull City, they have limited resources, but they’ve made tremendous inroads.”

Tremendous indeed. Hull are currently in 3rd place in the EPL. Nine years ago, they were in the 4th division—a tier that I’m sure even the most diehard British bulldog would admit is below MLS.Mariner thinks MLS has improved, and he points to MLS teams’ successes against European sides in recent years—including this year’s All-star win over West Ham, for which Mariner was on the sideline as an assistant to Steve Nicol—as proof of MLS’s progress. But he also tempers his optimism with some hard realities.

“Until you see the power of the Premiership guys up close, it’s hard to grasp how good they are,” he says. “Could we compete? It’s difficult to say we could. I’d like to say yes, but even Hull, Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke—they all have powerful players, quick players. There are not too many slow defenders over in England.”

Or, as another MLS coach puts it when I ask him if the best MLS team could survive in the EPL: “No $#?%-ing way.”
But maybe Mariner and Huckerby, so intimately connected to English football, are hardwired to give the nod to the EPL. What about some good ol’ fashioned American hucksterism? I mean, I’ve sung MLS teams’ praises many times, claiming that the best, like Houston and New England and DC United (when they’re fully healthy) can easily compete with the bottom half of the EPL. Am I alone in thinking this crazy thought?

Luckily, no.

“DC United would finish in the top 12,” Toronto FC midfielder Rohan Ricketts tells me, adding that this implies they have their first-choice squad. “They’re very technical, more technical than a lot of teams in England. They play the right way, pass and move. They’re a better advert for football than most of the teams in the Premiership.”

Ricketts should know about playing the game the right way. The 25-year-old winger came up at Arsenal, inhaling Arsene Wenger’s stylish philosophy, then had stints at Tottenham and Wolves.

Ultimately, it’s a debate that can’t be decided, no matter if your sermonizing with a pint of Magner’s in your hand or typing on a laptop. But the very fact that the discussion is even possible these days says more about MLS’s progress than Beckham’s arrival in Los Angeles or Barcelona’s interest in an expansion team does.

“Ten years ago, your question wouldn’t have been hard to answer,” Mariner concludes. “But MLS is making great strides. In the end, I don’t know if there is an answer. We could argue about it ‘til we’re blue in the face. Put twenty people in a room, and get twenty different opinions. That’s the beauty of football, and that’s why we love it.”

Greg Lalas is the site director for Goal.com North America. His new “Fifth Official” column will appear regularly on Goal.com.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: The Fifth Official: MLS vs EPL
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »
I think it is stupid unneccessary waste of manpower ...just go to the television replays the result will be there for all to see and confirm...idiots

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »
 :rotfl: Ngozi...like yuh ent read the article breds,  :devil:

The Fifth Official is the name of the column, not the topic of the article.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »
I think it is stupid unneccessary waste of manpower ...just go to the television replays the result will be there for all to see and confirm...idiots
well I have read both the article and this post and I have to say
WTF......over
arm....did I miss something ::)

serious: EPL is better ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:19:04 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
I made a bold assertion a while ago that the best MLS teams could run toe to toe with the lesser skilled EPL teams... because I'm really not impressed with English football outside of the top half of the table, and I was surprisingly impressed by some of the quality I was seeing here in the states...but after paying (a little) more attention to the MLS this year, and seeing Joe Public play the Revolution I take it back.  The MLS still has a long way to go.  They can challenge a European team in pre-season in a healthy warm up match, after that they're a big notch behind in terms of overal quality.  I think there are quite a few MLS players who can hack it in a lesser skilled EPL unit, but all around the park I think they'll be outmatched....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:25:44 AM »

wtf???
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
This is flawed because they keep on hypothesizing in a perfect world. If this and if that, what about what is. How many games do Hull play in a season? What do MLS teams have to play for? There exist no true pressure in the MLS  to be successful when compared to the EPL in terms of relegation, job loss etc. How often are coaches in the MLS terminated or greatly criticized for a lack of accomplishments?

In the MLS you get a 2nd chance on the field (playoffs etc.) The EPL you win or you go down. Although the top teams are dominant they have to be weary always about the upstarts gunning for them and being in a situation where they end up playing UEFA Cup football.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
Comparing MLS to the EPL is like comparing Whoopi Goldberg to Saana Lathan.  Even ah man with one eye could see de difference.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »
I made a bold assertion a while ago that the best MLS teams could run toe to toe with the lesser skilled EPL teams... because I'm really not impressed with English football outside of the top half of the table, and I was surprisingly impressed by some of the quality I was seeing here in the states...but after paying (a little) more attention to the MLS this year, and seeing Joe Public play the Revolution I take it back.  The MLS still has a long way to go.  They can challenge a European team in pre-season in a healthy warm up match, after that they're a big notch behind in terms of overal quality.  I think there are quite a few MLS players who can hack it in a lesser skilled EPL unit, but all around the park I think they'll be outmatched....

ahhh yes.. first thing come to mind when i see that article is that thread. ah remember it well.

men arguing that teams like dc united and chicago fire could finish mid table in the EPL, even with their mix of over the hill players and developmental youth players who scrounging on $20k a year etc. steups

the best MLS team would be a mid to lower table championship team at the very best.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
I picturing ah crabby Ngozi now rolling out of bed, stale drunk and cussing anybody who talk too loud  :rotfl:

davyjenny material oui  :rotfl:

dry so yes LOL
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »
MLS teams cyah even win in de Concacaf champions league.  How dey go win in de EPL?

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »
Ah notice the only fella who actually say a MLS side would be genuinely competitive was Rohan Ricketts, ah fella who basically had a 'blink or you'll miss him' premiership career. 25 years old and he playing in the MLS!, the fella career jus went down an down after Spurs..cyah even get ah team in the Championship. Ah think he is proof of where the MLS is currently at.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
Ah notice the only fella who actually say a MLS side would be genuinely competitive was Rohan Ricketts, ah fella who basically had a 'blink or you'll miss him' premiership career. 25 years old and he playing in the MLS!, the fella career jus went down an down after Spurs..cyah even get ah team in the Championship. Ah think he is proof of where the MLS is currently at.

also mention toronto star striker danny dichio look at his career stats . And he is a fan favourite in toronto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniele_Dichio
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
Ngozi have me cracking up yes   :rotfl:
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:17:55 PM »
:rotfl: Ngozi...like yuh ent read the article breds,  :devil:

The Fifth Official is the name of the column, not the topic of the article.

Actually I start but didnt finish lol I was watching a documentary yesterday concerning the use of two extra officials behind the goals and they tested it in a game with Scotland and San Marino so naturally the old brain defer to that with an attitude to boot lol so lemme go read it lol

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »
I picturing ah crabby Ngozi now rolling out of bed, stale drunk and cussing anybody who talk too loud  :rotfl:

davyjenny material oui  :rotfl:

dry so yes LOL
lmao lawd ah feelin shameee too bad

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 03:15:05 PM »
This is an non-issue. The EPL is far superior to the MLS which MIGHT be comparable to the Champions League(but I doubt it).
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>