April 19, 2024, 08:33:15 AM

Author Topic: What is the fascination with Guns?  (Read 3911 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
What is the fascination with Guns?
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
Grieving father says he gave son, 8, permission to fire Uzi

By David Abel and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff, and Matthew P. Collette, Globe Correspondent

Dr. Charles Bizilj stood 10 feet behind his son this weekend at a "Machine Gun Shoot" in Westfield, where the third grader aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin in the distance.

As Bizilj reached for his camera, the boy clutched the gun in his arms and squeezed the trigger. The Uzi flipped backwards and 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj fatally shot himself in the head.

“It was all a blur,” Dr. Charles Bizilj said this afternoon in a telephone interview. “I’m still in the grieving process.”

Christopher was accompanied by a trained professional as he held the 9-mm Micro Uzi machine gun at the Westfield Sportsman's Club Sunday afternoon, but Bizilj said he doesn’t think the shooting guide was holding the weapon as his son pressed the trigger.

“This accident was truly a mystery to me,” he said. “This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don’t know why it happened. I don’t think it’s relevant that he wasn’t holding the weapon.”

He said his son, a third grader who loved to hike and bike, had experience firing handguns and rifles. But he said this was the first time he had fired an automatic weapon.

"I gave permission for him to fire the Uzi,” Bizilj said. “I watched several other children and adults use it. It’s a small weapon, and Christopher was comfortable with guns. There were larger machine guns with much more recoil, and we avoided those.”

Bizilj, the medical director of the emergency department at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs, Conn., said that his son was “very cautious, very well trained, and very much enjoyed firing.”

When his son pressed the trigger Sunday, it was the first gun he had fired all day. “It took about an hour to get there, and it was something he was looking forward to for months,” Bizilj said.

The annual Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo is a two-day event. Police are investigating whether the Westfield Sportsman’s Club and the group running the event were licensed. “We haven’t confirmed whether either have been licensed,” said Westfield Police Lieutenant Hipolito Nuñez.

The sportsman's club boasted in an advertisement for the event posted on its website that the $5 entry fee was waived for children under age 16 and there was "no age limit or licenses required to shoot machine guns."

"It’s all legal & fun," the advertisement says. "You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control – "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL."

Shooting targets for the event included vehicles, pumpkins, and "other fun stuff we can’t print here," according to the advertisement.

Christopher Bizilj was firing the weapon at an outside firing range and was wounded once in the head when the recoil forced the gun to rotate upward and backward, Nuñez said. The boy was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. He was pronounced dead at the hospital with one gunshot wound to the head. No one else was injured.

State law requires anyone under age 18 to have parental consent and a licensed instructor to fire an automatic weapon. Otherwise, there’s no minimum age to fire such a gun, Nuñez said.

“We do not know at this time the full facts of this incident, and it's being investigated," Nuñez said.

The event at the club was organized by C.O.P. Firearms & Training, an Amherst company that, according to its website, organizes machine gun shoots throughout New England. Officials from that group also could not be reached.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: What is the fascination with Guns?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »
Just two articles but the increased gun sales is a national phenomenon.

Gun sales surge as presidential election nears

Gun sales are on the rise in the Albuquerque area and gun shop owners say one big reason is this year's presidential election.
Eyewitness News 4 called gun shops all over Albuquerque and some said their sales are up as much as 25 percent from last year. One reason they say, gun owners are worried about their Second Amendment rights if a certain Democrat is elected president.

One of the gun shops seeing gun sales soar is the Albuquerque Pawn Shop.

"Probably 20 to 25 percent, but inquiries are probably up 50 to 60 percent," said owner Jay Johnston.

Johnston says there are a few reasons for the rise in gun sales. He says one reason is the bad economy. Johnston says more people are buying guns to protect themselves.

But he says he is hearing another reason even more.

"If one particular candidate is elected, then rumor has it that there's gonna be a serious gun ban and I think people want to get the guns while they can,” Johnston said.

Johnston would not say which candidate he was talking about, but he didn’t have to. The writing was on the wall -- literally. A poster that shows the face of Barack Obama and says “some changes we could do without” was posted in the shop. The poster also says Obama has supported a total ban on handguns.

But the Obama campaign says the presidential candidate supports the Second Amendment. The American Hunter’s and Shooting Association, that’s endorsing Obama, says the senator has pledged that gun owners have nothing to fear from an Obama administration.

“The National Rifle Association has gone and taken up their usual tactics of creating this hysteria. Gun shops for example are very much in line with the NRA because they're afraid of them, they're afraid of a boycott," said Bob Ricker, Executive Director of the American Hunter’s and Shooting Association.

The owner of Albuquerque Pawn Shop says he's seen the highest surge in the sales of assault weapons because he says buyers fear stricter rules when it comes to purchasing them.

Gun sales up with tough economy and presidential election

By Candice Nelson
WSLS10 Reporter
Published: October 28, 2008

A combination of the presidential election and the economic crisis has gun sales thriving. According to the Washington Post, firearms and ammunition sales have gone up eight to 10% this year.

Also, a coordinator with the Roanoke Valley Gun Show that was in town last weekend told Ten On Your Side that attendance was up 10 to 20 percent in all the cities they’ve visited recently.

From rifles to handguns, the Town Gun Shop in Collinsville is seeing its own boom in business.

“I got a lot of firearm power if I needed it. I hope I never have to have it, but it’s good to have,” said Tom Moore who just bought a Beretta.

It’s what many people are saying – buying guns days before the election. Mark Tosh is president of the gun shop company and says it’s no coincidence.

“Whether it be law enforcement or sportsmen, with the upcoming election, a lot of people are feeling they need to go out and buy their guns now,” Tosh said.

Many gun owners said they worry about their right to bear arms if Barack Obama becomes President. An ad from the National Rifle Association was taped to the counter with many claims on his gun control stances.

“They are definitely against any A.R., as some people call assault-type weapon. But believe it or not, most of our sales have been traditional handguns people just want to have in their house,” Tosh said.

Tosh said people are worried that walking in, going through background checks, and buying a gun may not be as easy at is now.

Moore thinks the economy has more to do with the spike in sales than politics.

“As times are getting worse, you need to protect yourself. People are getting desperate these days,” Moore said.

Either way, it’s a controversial issue that will continue well after the election.

The Obama campaign claims the NRA has given a lot of false information on Obama’s gun control stance. Obama says he believes in the Second Amendment but with “commonsense measures.” He wants assault rifles off the streets, believing they believe on foreign battlegrounds.

John McCain opposes restrictions on assault weapons. Furthermore, McCain introduced legislation that would require instant criminal background checks for all sales at gun shows.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
Very sad indeed

"Dr. Charles Bizilj, the medical director of the emergency department at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs, Conn., " :o
as I keep pointing out to my two daughters
Having a top notch education and Job does NOT guarantee that the person will have common sense

very very sad
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:06:11 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
i used to go in the outdoor stores in upstate NY and be amazed at the guns they had available there...and pple shopping with their kids holding some massive handguns and even the machine guns
i eh go lie i went and checked out a couple too..never got to go shooting tho as didnt have a range in the area.
As one older fella told me when my cousin held one of the assault rifles - "that ain't for hunting...that shit turns meat into mush!"
and he damn right..those guns are for killing pple
Back in Trini...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
went up to de catskills upstate NY,once yuh have an ID yuh could purchase ah weapon,had ah nice time,did some serious shootin,pump action shotgun,22 calibre rifle with scope and some pistols.maybe is mind over matter but when yuh in possession of ah firearm,yuh really feel like rambo.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »
Very sad indeed

"Dr. Charles Bizilj, the medical director of the emergency department at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs, Conn., " :o
as I keep pointing out to my two daughters
Having a top notch education and Job does NOT guarantee that the person will have common sense

very very sad

I vex with the guy but I feel for him too.

When something like tat happens you know that you can't make the man feel worse than he already feeling.

I also imagine what must be going on with he and the wife. I can't imagine coming home to my wife and explaining that her child dead because he was handling a gun and I was taking a picture.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:10 AM »
that is a PAIN that will take a very long time to pass
hopefully it does not incapacitate him
obviously he has serious education
I wonder if his wife had the same love for guns, as she was NOT there
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:54:29 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »
went up to de catskills upstate NY,once yuh have an ID yuh could purchase ah weapon,had ah nice time,did some serious shootin,pump action shotgun,22 calibre rifle with scope and some pistols.maybe is mind over matter but when yuh in possession of ah firearm,yuh really feel like rambo.

False bravado

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
Well..thats what guns are for. Right now locally there's a smouldering debate about citizens being able to have guns. Part of the issue is the upsurge in crime, and how long the process is..as well as whispers of favouritism in issuing of permits. Counter to that point is that bandits get them easily and it would be ridiculous to expect to have any chance of stopping them with you barehanded. In fact the claim is made that they would be less likely to attempt to rob you knowing you have one. Counter to that point is that you more likely to be a target by virtue of having a gun. In fact..that was one of my major reasons for not wanting one....as trouble always seems to follow you with it. On the black market a 9mm bullet is 10 dollars.....a loaf of bread is 11.50. Guns are a tool..yes..but unlike a hammer...or cutlass...they only have one usage. The feeling of power and invincibility expected, but...most people who have guns are not really even properly trained to use one....and some dont even have the belly to. It not that easy pointing a gun at a man and shooting to kill.....though most criminals seem to have outgrown their qualms about it.  :-\
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »
Sorry 4 he lost but all yuh continue 2 hug up d 2nd ammendment
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
I vex with the guy but I feel for him too.

When something like tat happens you know that you can't make the man feel worse than he already feeling.

I also imagine what must be going on with he and the wife. I can't imagine coming home to my wife and explaining that her child dead because he was handling a gun and I was taking a picture.

he's ah damn ass... I sorry de li'l yute paid de ultimate price for the error in judgment, but me ent sorry fuh dat backside.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:23:38 AM »
Well..thats what guns are for. Right now locally there's a smouldering debate about citizens being able to have guns. Part of the issue is the upsurge in crime, and how long the process is..as well as whispers of favouritism in issuing of permits. Counter to that point is that bandits get them easily and it would be ridiculous to expect to have any chance of stopping them with you barehanded. In fact the claim is made that they would be less likely to attempt to rob you knowing you have one. Counter to that point is that you more likely to be a target by virtue of having a gun. In fact..that was one of my major reasons for not wanting one....as trouble always seems to follow you with it. On the black market a 9mm bullet is 10 dollars.....a loaf of bread is 11.50. Guns are a tool..yes..but unlike a hammer...or cutlass...they only have one usage. The feeling of power and invincibility expected, but...most people who have guns are not really even properly trained to use one....and some dont even have the belly to. It not that easy pointing a gun at a man and shooting to kill.....though most criminals seem to have outgrown their qualms about it.  :-\

From my experinece back home, most small business owners, and even upper management have guns. They all have easy access to them because as businessmen it is very easy to get permits.

And that was 7 years ago, before the kidnapping surge, I imagine that the Police are even more understanding now.

I remember being in meetings where man crossing they leg and yuh seeing piece in ankle holster and bulge in man waist.

I had no doubt that any of them would let off a rounds if given a reason/excuse.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 07:18:50 AM »
JDB, I read that article the other day, two days ago, I think, and I couldn't believe what I was reading. 
I have a 17 year-old son, and I wouldn't put a gun in his hand like that, much less for an 8 year-old.  Now I know that "middle America" has this fascination with guns (and religion) and the false sense of empowerment one can have with access to one, and in they start putting them in the hands of their children, but I will never forget the very first day I spent on a firing range and the range cadre, in an attempt to quell the egos of the youngsters that already had firearms experience, commented on how "..shooters with bad habits make the worst marksmen to train..."  A lot of the guys took that to mean the actual pointing of a weapon downrange and squeezing off a round. However, what he also meant by that statement is that "bad habits" have just as much, if not more, to do with poor supervision and poor safety practices as it has to do with mechanics. 
            Safety is the responsibility of EVERYBODY involved and the tragedy here is that this poor little boy was betrayed by not only his father, but the vendor(s) at this booth and maybe even the people managing the whole venture.  I would even go as far as putting some responsibility on the child's mother, but that judgment has to be reserved for knowledge of what steps she may or may not have taken to ensure her child's safety in the whole culture of guns and gun handling that her family may or may not be a part of.  Ultimately, though, the father undoubtedly carries the mother load of responsibility for this.

He's an idiot!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:05:51 AM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>