March 28, 2024, 09:14:05 AM

Author Topic: Shahdon Winchester Thread  (Read 44995 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shahdon Winchester Thread
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:21:34 AM »
Shahdon Winchester: Rising above adversity
By Kwame Williams (T&T Guardian)

When times are tough or things are going woefully awry, it is then that folks tend to learn the most about themselves and others around them. In other words, when the chips are down and your mettle is tested, you find out exactly what you are made of.

Having to deal with disappointment is part and parcel of being human and, just as sure as a politician will tell lies, during ones lifetime this emotion is one everybody will experience at a number of junctures.

Adversity, though, seems to have a way of bringing the best out of some people and as the saying goes - “only the strong survive”.

Shahdon Winchester is testament to this. The Naparima College standout has been turning heads in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) since making his debut for “Naps” as a tenacious 12-year-old in 2004.

This year, he lit the competition ablaze, scoring 16 goals on the way to leading “Naps” to another South Zone league and Intercol double, as well as the coveted BGTT Big Five crown.

His searing pace and mesmerising dribbling skills make him a constant threat to rivals on the football field, while an insatiable hunger for success ensures that he will fight to the last to see out any task set before him.

But prior to all Winchester’s headline-grabbing exploits in the SSFL, he was forced to tackle one of life’s harsh realities and the battle to overcome it when he lost his dad. Shahdon was just 10 when the man responsible for nurturing his love of football – Derek Winchester – died in a vehicular accident.

Although it has been six years since the elder Winchester’s passing, every time Shahdon plays he is driven by a desire to make his father proud and not a day goes by in which the Princes Town native doesn’t wonder how his dad would feel about his development both on and off the pitch.

“I think about him a lot, especially when I’m playing and even more so if we lose. I study how he would feel about of my performance, if he was happy with it or not.

“He was the one who got me interested in the sport because he used to carry me to watch a lot of matches,” Winchester said.

After her husband’s death, Shahdon’s mom – Svetlana Winchester – took up the mantle and made it her responsibility to ensure that her young son was not denied the opportunity to pursue his football dreams.

As a matter of fact, so committed was she to the cause that Svetlana, who did not know how to drive, decided to take driving classes and apply for a permit just to be able to drop and pick up Shahdon, the eldest of her three children, from practice at the club his dad enrolled him in – Couva outfit W Connection.

“It was a rough period for us, but everyone always used to tell me how good a player he was and if you give Shahdon a chance, he is the type who will play football whole day,” she joked.

“Having to work and be the home-maker was difficult at first but he was always a good and obedient child and I saw how much he loved football so it was an easy choice for me to make really. And fortunately for me I got help from his uncle and sometimes his cousins because they would carry him to practice when I couldn’t,” she added.

Even though he is 16 now, Winchester’s mother is still very active in his football life, ensuring he is up on time when he has early morning practice sessions and readying his gear whenever he needs it.

And this continued devotion over the years has began to bare fruit as Winchester is currently a key member of the T&T Under-17 team vying for qualification for the 2009 Fifa U-17 World Cup in Nigeria.

“Seeing how dedicated she is just makes me feel that I have to push even more. It makes me want to work harder,” he said.

Unfortunately, “Naps” failed to defend their national Intercol title, but Shahdon will have little time to dwell on that as he now has to focus on national team duties. He and his teammates will leave for Mexico in April, when the final round of qualifiers are scheduled to take place.

T&T are uncertain who they will face in Mexico as the tournament’s organisers are yet to decide the format in which it will be contested. One thing is for sure though, and that is whoever the local lads come up against, with Shahdon Winchester in the team they have an excellent chance of achieveing their goal.

You can even expect to see a couple opponents getting dribbled out of their boots as well, as he is an avid admirer of Brazil’s dribbler extraordinaire - Robinho.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:03:17 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shahdon Winchester: Rising above adversity
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »
From what little I have seen, this fella have all the gifts necessary to be someone special for T&T football.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:44:21 AM »
Agree Swima like d little I c of d yute
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:17 AM »
Is'n this the same player one of the members was always bigging up everytime we talking about Jerrol Brittos games.?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:46:09 AM »
Yep he is Britto strikin pardner
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
hope he comes along...i like

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »
Yep he is Britto strikin pardner

I say he was a mid
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:19:44 PM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
I c him strikin wit Britto in d under 17 earlier dis yr

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shahdon Winchester.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
For those of you who watching Shahdon Winchester play.

Can you compare him to the SSFL standouts like Nixon, Sherwood, Yorke, Dwarika, Sampson etc etc.

It this a future star ?

How good is he ?

Can anyone name some players of his calibre in the SSFL ?

What about his teammates at Naps, Ryan Fredericks.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
i got a chance to see him play when connection come to jersey. i know u cant judge someone just by one game but de man have de tools...lots of potential.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
He done nearly too old arready to be "special".
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »
Exciting player. No lie.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline GODFATHER

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:02:05 PM »
Last year I say him play one game and he looked impressive. This season he looked less than impressive but probably because Naps lost some of their players so teams focussed more on him a lot more. I will say this he does have potential, he very strong on the ball and has a good touch but he seems disintrested in the game at times. I feel like this season he played just to have something to do. We'll see how he looks when the Pro League gets going next season. I can't class him with the likes of Yorke, Sampson, Sherwood. Just have not seen him performing at a high level consistently even though he gets the goals he doesn't seem to be a game changer. 

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
not really palos...yuh have to put everyting in place.... this kid could play fittball...ah hearing yuh...but its not always cut and dry like dat
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »
we discover most of our players at 15,16 ,17 .How old is Winchester 17 thats par for the course with us.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 11:44:40 PM »
Quick, get him a trial at Arsenal. ;D
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
NAPARIMA COLLEGE !!..San Fernando Stand Up !!  ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »
we discover most of our players at 15,16 ,17 .How old is Winchester 17 thats par for the course with us.

He eh now discovered.  He been around a while now.

If I eh mistaken, he even went Portugal or someplace so fuh trials.  He moms have a Russian soundin name and she went wit he.

My point is...if he was "special", he woulda been picked up by somebody out dey.  Everybody on de football circuit lookin fuh players and when a special player come around, dem does know.

Is why Peltier & Hyland get extended looks.  I eh sayin it too late.  He IS 17 after all.  But time runnin out fuh him.  He have to leave T&T to get better and leave SOON. 

Playin SSFL & Intercol actually makin him REGRESS.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:33:28 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
Last year I say him play one game and he looked impressive. This season he looked less than impressive but probably because Naps lost some of their players so teams focussed more on him a lot more. I will say this he does have potential, he very strong on the ball and has a good touch but he seems disintrested in the game at times. I feel like this season he played just to have something to do. We'll see how he looks when the Pro League gets going next season. I can't class him with the likes of Yorke, Sampson, Sherwood. Just have not seen him performing at a high level consistently even though he gets the goals he doesn't seem to be a game changer. 

Thanks for de update.

I hear he left W Connection. So expect Joe Public to sign him up soon.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »
At 12yrs he won 3 titles at naps ,top scorer in the pro league youth levels with W.Connection,top class goal-scorer,national coaches put him in midfield,could have gone further,connection trying to hold him for money ,or buisness purposes.rigth up there with latas ,not that many skillful teamates  at his disposal like lats had with tech,similar to Collin Samuel at mayaro.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
At 12yrs he won 3 titles at naps ,top scorer in the pro league youth levels with W.Connection,top class goal-scorer,national coaches put him in midfield,could have gone further,connection trying to hold him for money ,or buisness purposes.rigth up there with latas ,not that many skillful teamates  at his disposal like lats had with tech,similar to Collin Samuel at mayaro.

I've seen Shahdon play a couple of times with W-Connection, and I like what was displayed, and I believe that he has a future in de game. But why exactly would you put him "right up there with Latas"?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
Similar ability, potential and accomplishments at youth levels,not saying he is better than the boss,but six south  zone titles,one national big five ,one national intercol title,national youth teams and  national senior team call ups, trials overseas,right agent that all it takes :D

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
Similar ability, potential and accomplishments at youth levels,not saying he is better than the boss,but six south  zone titles,one national big five ,one national intercol title,national youth teams and  national senior team call ups, trials overseas,right agent that all it takes :D

So Winchester win those titles by himself?  He played a supporting role on a very good Naps over the years.  Last year was probably the first year where he was the "star" of the team.

Rating him should not be based on how many titles Naps won.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
Winchester is the best SSFL player I have seen in the last 5 years but he is nowhere near the class of Latas, Yorke, Sherwood, and Sampson when they were his age.  I would rate him higher than Nixon.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »
Shadon Winchester,Shadon Winchester,year after year, the best. :rotfl:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 06:48:02 AM »
well how did Winchester on trial  at sporting  Braga  in portugal? anyone know
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »
He playing for Naps.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 08:48:35 AM »
He playing for Naps.
exactly

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
Did latapy makebradford city in his first trial,contracts are given not only for ability.steups waste ah time. ???

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »
dis exactly is d problem wit we football...we so thirst to idolise somebody dat we does be graspin at straws.

D winchester boy good in SSFL...and dais about it. When men excel in a below par league, we quick to say he is d nex dis and dat. We hadda stop encouragin and promoting d mediocrity.

Encourage d player yes, but men done exalting him....and he aint all dat yet.

Same ting go on wit Jabloteh a season or two ago..dey beat everybody in pfl and as soon as dey gone outside is level licks.

Wake up ppl..d youngster may have potential, but we cyah properly assess dat in d SSFL. He went outside already and get sent back...dat doh mean he not good, it mean he not ready yet. How long he take to be ready is anyone's guess...but we should know is not now.

Stop writing articles makin ppl feel dat d boy reach somewhere

1]; } ?>