April 18, 2024, 09:45:34 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 462945 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #2790 on: August 21, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
I feel Rodgers soothing personality will really get the best out of Balotelli; plus, men like Sterling and Sturridge will make him feel welcomed in the dressing room.

Agreed.  Fantastic signing at £16m too... particularly so contrasted against the prices paid for Shane Long and offered for Fabio Borini (£14m each).  All that aside I've always loved him as a player and been an unflinching supporter on and off the pitch*.  He'll be just fine.

Bait taken in 3...2...1...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: August 22, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Quite happy with the signing of Balotelli. Handle allyuh stories!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #2792 on: August 24, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
I feel Rodgers soothing personality will really get the best out of Balotelli; plus, men like Sterling and Sturridge will make him feel welcomed in the dressing room.

Agreed.  Fantastic signing at £16m too... particularly so contrasted against the prices paid for Shane Long and offered for Fabio Borini (£14m each).  All that aside I've always loved him as a player and been an unflinching supporter on and off the pitch*.  He'll be just fine.

yes very good piece of business at that price.
I don't want no part of Eto.

Lucas off to Napoli it seems though
What's the latest on Agger?..I just saw some stats on the BBC that shows we had the most clean sheets, wins, etc when Agger was playing lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:44 AM »
yes very good piece of business at that price.
I don't want no part of Eto.

Lucas off to Napoli it seems though
What's the latest on Agger?..I just saw some stats on the BBC that shows we had the most clean sheets, wins, etc when Agger was playing lol

Haven't seen anything recent on either Agger or Lucas.  I won't be surprised if Rodgers keeps Lucas around though... long season and 4 competitions ahead.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: August 25, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »
Disappointing day for Liverpool... of the 90 minutes +5' stoppage... we probably played a total of 20 minutes of quality football. Moreno dithered in the box to concede the first, classy flick and strike by Jovetic to score his second.  The third by Aguero has to be the most disappointing of all.  Now Johnson pulled up lame, had a shaky game, Skrtel now carrying a knock on his left knee.  Huge questions being asked of Liverpool's depth now.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: August 31, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »
Liverpool seems to enjoy playing the Spurs immensely. The 3-0 victory at White Hart Lane today makes it twelve unanswered goals in the last three Premier League fixtures between the two clubs.

Long way to go this season of course.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: September 01, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
Premier League: 10 Talking Points (UK Guardian)

3) Liverpool show they have spent windfall wisely

What a pleasure it must be for new players to join this Liverpool squad. They have to work hard, sure, and competition for places is increasingly high but, if they embrace the challenge, the rewards could be wonderful. When they play as they did for much of last season and again at White Hart Lane on Sunday, Brendan Rodgers’ team are exhilarating to watch and, for any player with a wholesome attitude, fun to be a part of.

The early signs are that Liverpool have spent the Luis Suárez windfall wisely, as each of this summer’s recruits looks a worthy addition. It was suggested in the summer that Liverpool were destined to endure the sort of stuttering campaign that Tottenham Hotspur suffered after last season replacing Gareth Bale with several new signings but that was always a flawed comparison: because Liverpool is fertile ground in which to plant new players as, unlike Spurs last term, they are a club with cohesion and a vision. And they are gathering momentum.

-Paul Doyle

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/01/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: September 01, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »

What a pleasure it must be for new players to join this Liverpool squad. They have to work hard, sure, and competition for places is increasingly high but, if they embrace the challenge, the rewards could be wonderful. When they play as they did for much of last season and again at White Hart Lane on Sunday, Brendan Rodgers’ team are exhilarating to watch and, for any player with a wholesome attitude, fun to be a part of.

The early signs are that Liverpool have spent the Luis Suárez windfall wisely, as each of this summer’s recruits looks a worthy addition. It was suggested in the summer that Liverpool were destined to endure the sort of stuttering campaign that Tottenham Hotspur suffered after last season replacing Gareth Bale with several new signings but that was always a flawed comparison: because Liverpool is fertile ground in which to plant new players as, unlike Spurs last term, they are a club with cohesion and a vision. And they are gathering momentum.

-Paul Doyle

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/01/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Spent wisely and avoided the last minute rounds of panic negotiating.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: September 02, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »

-Paul Doyle

Spent wisely and avoided the last minute rounds of panic negotiating.

Brendan Rodgers looks for a certain type of player, and if they don't fit the mould, they won't come.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: September 02, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
It's interesting to compare the Board philosophy regarding managers at Liverpool and Man U.

While Rodgers took a lot of flak in his first season, he appears now to be in full control of the club. Meanwhile, Man U continue to demand instant success, which is very rare these days. Ironically, most clubs appreciated the amount of time Sir Alex took to get fully settled and realise that it's not wise to expect success in year one.

It would do Man U well to look back at the history behind their last 25 years of success.

Kudos to the LFC board, not only for their vision in selecting Rodgers, but also continuing to fund his team building and supporting him through the rough times early on.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:42 AM »
It's interesting to compare the Board philosophy regarding managers at Liverpool and Man U.

While Rodgers took a lot of flak in his first season, he appears now to be in full control of the club. Meanwhile, Man U continue to demand instant success, which is very rare these days. Ironically, most clubs appreciated the amount of time Sir Alex took to get fully settled and realise that it's not wise to expect success in year one.

It would do Man U well to look back at the history behind their last 25 years of success.

Kudos to the LFC board, not only for their vision in selecting Rodgers, but also continuing to fund his team building and supporting him through the rough times early on.

Wouldn't say full control, but he definitely has more weight now, with the new contract he has negotiated.  Transfers are still done on a committee basis, but I think he has the last say on who comes and goes.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »

I don't think the Man U board expected instant success (after all they gave him a 6 year  contract to start)  but they definitely expected better from him. For whatever reason he was unable to strengthen the side with significant signings over the summer and the handling of the Fellaini signing certainly didn't instill much confidence in his ability to deal with such things.

I always felt that while he didn't have to be immediately successful United, under Moyes, had to at least remain competitive, and they didn't do that. And once they lost out on the CL the writing was on the wall.

Rodgers on the other hand was able to come in after successive managers had "failed" so he had much less in terms of expectations to deal with and fans were prepared to be more patient.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 03, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
David Owen: Liverpool and Balotelli: Why Reds set for a summer transfer profit despite £100m+ spree

Liverpool posted the biggest pre-tax loss in the Premier League in 2012-13. The previous year only Manchester City posted a bigger one. In such circumstances, you might have expected the Anfield club to be squirrelling away at least some of its Luis Suárez windfall; to be showing a modicum of restraint in this summer's transfer market in the interests of its bottom-line. All the more so with UEFA's Financial Fair Play (FFP) provisions hovering in the background.

And yet here they are seemingly about to bring pure box office Mario Balotelli to Merseyside, in a move that would take their summer transfer spending to an estimated ooh £117 million or so. That's £40 million or £50 million more than they are pocketing for the Uruguayan superstar. How can such apparent extravagance be justified?

Well, increased turnover is one answer. By getting back into the Champions League, Liverpool will probably have assured themselves of €30 million to €40 million of new revenue that simply wasn't available to them last year – and that's just in participation and performance-related money from UEFA, without taking into account a further hike in match-day income from the return of big European nights to Anfield.

Another answer is that thanks to the magic of amortisation, the Reds are still on course to book a substantial net gain on their summer transfer dealings – and they may yet offload one or two more players in the remaining days of the summer window.

How can this be when their outlay is so much more than what they have recouped? The secret lies in the lop-sided way player valuations are dealt with in English corporate accounts.

On the one hand, when a club sells a player, the gain - or loss - that it realises against the value of that player carried in its books is normally included in full in that year's accounts.

When, by contrast, a player is bought, the transfer fee is normally amortised over the length of that player's contract. If a player signs for five years, therefore, at most a fifth of the fee would be included in the amortisation charge in that year's accounts.

Let's now try to apply this to Liverpool's summer business.

Heading out of the exit door, so far, have been Suárez to Barcelona, Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich, Martin Kelly to Crystal Palace and Conor Coady to Huddersfield Town.

Suárez was bought from Ajax in January 2011 for a reported £22.8 million on what was said to be a five-and-a-half year deal. That means he had about two years of his contract to run, suggesting that his remaining book value at the time of his sale may have been around £8.3 million.

Even if you assume that his latest transfer fee was 'only' £65 million, that would still leave the Merseysiders booking a hefty £56.7 million gain on the deal.

Add in £1.5 million and £375,000 respectively for Kelly and Coady, who were both "home-grown" talent which is normally valued in the books at zero, and £2 million for Reina, who joined Liverpool so long ago that his original fee is likely to have been fully amortised, or all but, and the gains column swells to well over £60 million.

That is still, repeat, substantially less than the club has spent.

What is relevant for our purposes, however, is not Liverpool's gross summer outlay on players, but how much of this will be included in the 2014-15 amortisation charge.

While I do not have all the information for a precise calculation, my best stab is that, even with Balotelli, the amount in question is likely to be around £30 million – probably less than half the gain.

In my back-of-envelope calculation, this is made up of: Adam Lallana £6.25 million; Rickie Lambert £2 million; Emre Can £2 million; Lazar Marković £4 million; Dejan Lovren £5 million; Alberto Moreno £3 million; Divock Origi £2 million; and Super Mario himself £4 million.

What this doesn't do, of course, is tell you anything about the company's cash flow. And we will almost certainly find that the club's wage costs in 2014-15 are substantially higher than the £132.4 million incurred in the year to May 2013.

When it comes to profitability, however, I'd be very surprised to find Liverpool still at the foot of the Premier League table in 2014-15, in spite of its current spending spree. You might see this as Suárez's parting gift.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/david-owen/15309-david-owen-liverpool-and-balotelli-why-reds-set-for-a-summer-transfer-profit-despite-100m-spree

David Owen worked for 20 years for the Financial Times in the United States, Canada, France and the UK. He ended his FT career as sports editor after the 2006 World Cup and is now freelancing, including covering the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the 2010 World Cup and London 2012. Owen's Twitter feed can be accessed at www.twitter.com/dodo938.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 03, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
I read this article last week and still couldn't wrap my head around all dat setta maths.  All I know is that Balo put in a good shift on Sunday and I only hope that he truly settles in and is made to feel welcomed at the club.  Everyone says that he's matured since leaving England, and if that's the case then this may be as perfect a fit for all concerned as we could reasonably could find.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: September 03, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
I read this article last week and still couldn't wrap my head around all dat setta maths.  All I know is that Balo put in a good shift on Sunday and I only hope that he truly settles in and is made to feel welcomed at the club.  Everyone says that he's matured since leaving England, and if that's the case then this may be as perfect a fit for all concerned as we could reasonably could find.

Similar to how you account for an asset such as a vehicle. You buy it at 100, but spread the cost over the 5 years you will own it(for accountancy purposes)  - 20 per year. Then you sell it in year 3 for 50. So 50 comes in and, say 22 goes out for the new car. The difference being that cars and other assets are usually depreciated to reduce the value of company assets for Corporation Tax purposes, while footballers such as Balo should increase in value for at least another 3 years.

Best example of this kind of accountancy magic I ever saw was McDonalds in the 50's or 60's. They were making very little profit because they kept buying more outlets and couldn't borrow money anywhere to further expand. Their financial whiz, a guy called Sondheim, I believe, designed a new system which became standard accountancy practice. You simply add the value of the projected income (based on existing outlet sales) over say, 20 years, to your bottom line. So a $1 million dollar outlay added $20 million to your bottom line. Overnight McDonalds became a Fortune 500 company and money was thrown at them. To this day, their major income is stated as real estate, not fast food!

Liverpool have just brought business accountancy to football.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: September 03, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »
Similar to how you account for an asset such as a vehicle. You buy it at 100, but spread the cost over the 5 years you will own it(for accountancy purposes)  - 20 per year. Then you sell it in year 3 for 50. So 50 comes in and, say 22 goes out for the new car. The difference being that cars and other assets are usually depreciated to reduce the value of company assets for Corporation Tax purposes, while footballers such as Balo should increase in value for at least another 3 years.

Best example of this kind of accountancy magic I ever saw was McDonalds in the 50's or 60's. They were making very little profit because they kept buying more outlets and couldn't borrow money anywhere to further expand. Their financial whiz, a guy called Sondheim, I believe, designed a new system which became standard accountancy practice. You simply add the value of the projected income (based on existing outlet sales) over say, 20 years, to your bottom line. So a $1 million dollar outlay added $20 million to your bottom line. Overnight McDonalds became a Fortune 500 company and money was thrown at them. To this day, their major income is stated as real estate, not fast food!

Liverpool have just brought business accountancy to football.

I was just being silly, I get how amortization works, particularly coupled with asset depreciation (and for that matter, even losses carried forward) in helping companies maximize book profits.  As you said, players don't depreciate and not sure that operating at a loss matters much to FFP, but I understand the general principle  :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:50 AM »
With the setback to Sturridge, Balotelli has a bit more weight on his shoulders.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: September 08, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
With the setback to Sturridge, Balotelli has a bit more weight on his shoulders.

henderson is out as well. i'd put sterling up in sturridge's place and start markovic on that left side, and give lallana his debut, later on in the game. as for henderson i'd put emre can there. we should be ok against aston villa.

edit: just saw the starting lineup for todays game and henderson is playing.  ??? this morning there were articles stating that he was injured
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:55:38 PM by Trini Madness »
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
henderson is out as well. i'd put sterling up in sturridge's place and start markovic on that left side, and give lallana his debut, later on in the game. as for henderson i'd put emre can there. we should be ok against aston villa.

edit: just saw the starting lineup for todays game and henderson is playing.  ??? this morning there were articles stating that he was injured

The articles stated that he was a doubt... UK Guardian even said he was a game day decision.  He had a good first half against Switzerland... hope Roy sit him for the second half.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: September 13, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »
Liverpool ent going nowhere this season with this kinda defending.  Mignolet need some competition too... Valdez can't come fast enough.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: September 13, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
SMFH...........let Balo had rest at clout on him in return, I sure the ref and his men would have seen it.

Mario Balotelli was brought in by Rodgers last month to provide additional firepower but he spent much of the first half either being kicked or trying to avoid being kicked by Philippe Senderos.

The Swiss defender got away with at least one blatant hack at the former Manchester City striker off the ball which would have likely resulted in a red card had referee Lee Mason or either of his linesmen seen it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: September 13, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
SMFH...........let Balo had rest at clout on him in return, I sure the ref and his men would have seen it.

Mario Balotelli was brought in by Rodgers last month to provide additional firepower but he spent much of the first half either being kicked or trying to avoid being kicked by Philippe Senderos.

The Swiss defender got away with at least one blatant hack at the former Manchester City striker off the ball which would have likely resulted in a red card had referee Lee Mason or either of his linesmen seen it.

Yeah, that was some malicious tata ... probably orchestrated by Roy Keane.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: September 13, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
Along with some of the stuff that took place against Tottenham (under Phil Dowd's watch), there seems to be little doubt as to what the strategy of some of these mid- and lower-tier teams appear to be when it comes to dealing with Balotelli.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: September 15, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
Along with some of the stuff that took place against Tottenham (under Phil Dowd's watch), there seems to be little doubt as to what the strategy of some of these mid- and lower-tier teams appear to be when it comes to dealing with Balotelli.

Say what you want about tactics and getting one up on your opponent:  kicking a man in the open field no where close to the action is not football.  That is not the spirit of the game and I won't be surprised if the FA disciplinary committee takes action after review the footage. Balo might have his ways, but the treatment meted out to him on Saturday was uncalled for.

Offline Jakie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: September 15, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »
I think these fat burners are best for women AND feel Rodgers soothing personality will really get the best out of Balotelli; plus, men like Sterling and Sturridge will make him feel welcomed in the dressing room.

Not too impressed with Balotelli at the moment. Hope he improves.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:20:41 AM by Jakie »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
Say what you want about tactics and getting one up on your opponent:  kicking a man in the open field no where close to the action is not football.  That is not the spirit of the game and I won't be surprised if the FA disciplinary committee takes action after review the footage. Balo might have his ways, but the treatment meted out to him on Saturday was uncalled for.

Yeah, that was real bush league.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers has a quiet word with Mike Riley in the next coming days.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Super Mario to the rescue.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: September 16, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
POOL cyar defend to save dey life :cursing:
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: September 16, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
Ludo come to play and arguably deserved more from the result.  Classy control and finish by Balo.  Fatigue by Sterling led to that giveaway, but we still concede too easy.  Nice far post finish by the Spanish sub for Ludogorets.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 20, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
allyuh loss someting in attack and alyuh defense in ah shambles lawd fadder
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>