March 28, 2024, 04:57:28 PM

Author Topic: Legend Giggs drops a retirement hint  (Read 1200 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Legend Giggs drops a retirement hint
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
Legend Giggs drops a retirement hint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soccernet staff

Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs has dropped a strong hint that could retire from football at the end of this season. The 35-year-old former Wales captain's current deal with United expires at the end of the season and he is yet to begin negotiations on an extension. 
Giggs, scoring here against Celtic, has scored in 15 consecutive Champions League seasons. (Empics)

United winger Giggs, who holds the club's all-time appearance record and recently overtook Bill Foulkes as the player with the longest spanning United career, told The Sun: "I will keep playing as long as I enjoy it, I am fit and the manager wants me.

"If one of those three things stops, I will consider retiring. It could be at the end of this season."

Giggs' 28 winners medals include two Champions League victories, a record 10 Premier League championships and four FA Cup wins.

"I am at the end of my contract in May," said Giggs. "So we will see. At the minute there hasn't been any contact with United.

"I am as fit as I ever have been. The only difference is recovering from the game."

Despite the onset of time the one-time flying winger was able to play a full part in United succcesses in 2008, scoring the goal that clinched the league title at Wigan in May and scoring the decisive penalty as United won the Champions League in Moscow.

"Today, victories and titles make me happier than when I was younger," he said. "Because I know that they could be my last."

Giggs is the only United player to have played in all 10 Premier League-winning teams, the only player to have scored in 12 consecutive Champions League tournaments and the sole player to have scored in every Premier League campaign since its inception.

He said United had not started contract extension talks but his agent Harry Swales told the BBC: "Ryan says he can still play on for a few more years. We haven't spoken to United yet but I'm sure it will happen in due course."

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Legend Giggs drops a retirement hint
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
The ONLY united player I've ever admired (well except for we capt) . Total professional and sometimes underrated and left in the shadow of the bigger names/egos at the club. One of the best I've seen at taking corners as well.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »
de man is pure class.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
Giggs Interview from 1994.

very dated but nice. Imagine that people used to subscribe to a bi-monthly video back in them days.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
Class player, and I hate ManUre.

Last of a dying breed.

Més que un club.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »
Fuh real, what a career, well done Giggsy
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>