March 28, 2024, 01:08:50 PM

Author Topic: 2009 australian open  (Read 8273 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 australian open
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Venus neva win d French I blieve.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
Venus neva win d French I blieve.
finalist in 2002 but win in 1999 in de doubles tornament.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
Williams sisters win Aussie doubles title MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Serena and Venus Williams won their eighth Grand Slam women's doubles title Friday, beating Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia and Japan's Ai Sugiyama 6-3, 6-3 in the final at the Australian Open.

The Williams sisters, seeded 10th, looked unflustered as they served out the first set in just 38 minutes under a closed roof on center court.

The second set proved more difficult as the pairs exchanged breaks six times in nine games before the Williams' powerful returns and superior movement around the court proved the deciding factor.

Serena Williams, who returns to center court Saturday for the singles final, dominated at the net as they broke Sugiyama's serve to take a 4-3 lead, then sealed the championship by breaking Hantuchova.

The sisters, who won the women's doubles gold medal at last year's Beijing Olympics, held up their rackets to celebrate the win before hugging each other on court.

"I'd like to thank Serena for being the best partner," Venus Williams, 28, said. "I wouldn't want to play with anyone else. She's amazing."

The Williams sisters now have three Australian Open doubles titles, having previously won here in 2001 and 2003.

Serena, 27, who has a chance to win her 10th Grand Slam singles title when she takes on Dinara Safina of Russia on Saturday, looked relaxed during and after the match.

The sisters laughed and chatted between sets and made an unhurried exit from Rod Laver Arena after the trophy presentations.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »
Nadal into Australian finalby FOXSports.com
MELBOURNE - Top-ranked Rafael Nadal outlasted fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-6 (2), 6-7 (1), 6-4 Friday to reach the Australian Open final after the longest match in the tournament's history.

The fans were riveted as the left-handed Davis Cup teammates went at each other for 5 hours and 14 minutes. There were no arguments, no gamesmanship, just great shots, with the momentum shifting on a handful of key points.

The previous longest match at Melbourne Park came in 1991, when Boris Becker needed 5 hours and 11 minutes to beat Italian Omar Camporese, with the fifth set going 14-12.

Nadal earned the right to try to keep second-ranked Roger Federer from tying Pete Sampras' record of 14 major titles on Sunday. Federer advanced to his 18th Grand Slam final with a straight sets win over Andy Roddick on Thursday.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
that match was amazing...cant believe it ended on a double fault...
was great tho, friends playing each other at the highest level and playing hard
Back in Trini...

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
I going on ESPN now to watch this match.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
Serena made a mockery of my feeling that she would have a tough final.  ;D I'm happy she won though.

"MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Serena Williams is back at No. 1 after a dominating victory Saturday over Dinara Safina that gave her a fourth Australian Open trophy and 10th Grand Slam singles title.

The 27-year-old Williams knew going into the final that the winner would grab the top ranking.

She left no doubt she deserves it.

Williams routed Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3 in 59 minutes. She was so overwhelming that third-seeded Safina apologized to the crowd for her performance, saying Williams left her feeling like a ballboy.

Other than matches that ended early due to illness or injury, it was among the most lopsided Australian Open women's finals ever.

Williams remains far away from the women's record for Grand Slam singles titles. Margaret Court Smith had 24 and Steffi Graf 22, with Martina Navratilova among the others she would have to pass.

Thanks to her power game and what she has called her toughest off-season training regime — she has been criticized in the past for not putting in enough work outside of tournament — Williams is moving up fast and will go into the French Open with a two Grand Slam winning streak after taking the U.S. Open in September.

"I idolized Steffi Graf growing up," Williams said. "Martina Navratilova was someone who was my role model. Now people are starting to talk about me, which is uber cool. I can't get my mind around it."

The victory was all the more remarkable because she had looked so vulnerable earlier in the tournament, once loudly cursing her first service. But as she has done at Melbourne Park before, Williams managed to survive until it all came together.

"I was playing lazy tennis in the beginning and I was doubting myself in the beginning," she said. "I'll thank my mom for hanging in there this week. The first week was tough, but we got through it."

Williams finished with 23 winners and just seven unforced errors in the final, winning more than twice as many points as Safina.

"I absolutely, clearly, love playing here," Williams told the crowd. "You guys root for me so much. I don't get that everywhere. So thank you so much."

In the first game, Safina double-faulted three times, including on break point. Williams ran off 18 of the last 20 points in the first set to finish it in 22 minutes.

"I saw it was so fast," Williams said. "I just said, 'I want to stay focused.' She's a warrior. She never gives up."

It was Williams' second overwhelming victory in a final at Melbourne Park, where she kept alive her record of winning in odd-numbered years since 2003. Coming into the 2007 tournament unseeded after being plagued by injuries the year before, she beat top-seeded Maria Sharapova 6-1, 6-2.

Sharapova rebounded to win last year but was unable to defend her title while recuperating from a shoulder injury.

Williams was the fifth woman to win four or more Australian titles. By making the singles and doubles finals, she already had become the all-time leading money winner in women's sports.

For winning the Australian singles title, she earned $1.3 million and now has career earnings of more than $23.5 million.

After Melbourne's hottest three-day heat wave on record, conditions were relatively mild for the tournament's first women's final at night, but Rod Laver Arena was less than capacity, with large patches of empty seats scattered around the upper deck of the 15,000-seat stadium.

Safina had been hoping to add to her family's Grand Slam total — brother Marat Safin won two, including the 2005 Australian Open. She also will have to wait for a chance to match his one-time No. 1 ranking.

But Safina looked nothing like the player who won four titles and the Beijing Olympics silver medal last year. Increasingly dispirited, the crowd tried to encourage her, and she managed to break Williams in the first game of the second set.

It just delayed the inevitable.

Williams took the next four games, and things got so bad that Safina swung and completely missed a forehand while serving at 2-5. She managed to win the game, but Williams held at love when Safina sent a backhand wide on match point.

Williams went over to slap hands with her mother and other people sitting in her box as Safina, looking shellshocked, sat in her chair waiting for the trophy presentation. She grimaced when Williams thanked her "for putting on a great show for women's tennis."

It was Williams' 20th overall Grand Slam title. She won her eighth women's doubles crown with sister Venus on Friday and has two mixed-doubles championships.

On Sunday, top-ranked Rafael Nadal will face No. 2 Roger Federer in the men's final. Federer will be trying to tie Pete Sampras' record of 14 major titles, while Nadal is seeking his third Grand Slam out of the last four, missing only the U.S. Open last September that was won by the Swiss star."

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »
now to concentrate on the next chapter in the Federer v Nadal story.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 09:39:28 AM »
Williams' dominance has her back atop tennis worldby Matt Cronin, Special to FOXSports.com
MELBOURNE - No. 10 was just as impressive as No. 1.

In yet another devastating display of powerful, all-court tennis, Serena Williams crushed Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3 to win the Australian Open, proving that when she's motivated and directed, she's capable of dominating the game once again.
In winning her 10th Grand Slam title with a searing display of hard serves, rocket returns and perfectly placed groundstrokes, Williams looked just as fresh and spry as she did as the raw and ambitious 17-year-old who won her first Grand Slam title at the 1999 U.S. Open.

"I definitely think it was definitely one of my most dominant performances, especially considering it was a final," said Williams, who won her 20th overall major, including eight doubles title her sister, Venus, and two mixed doubles crowns. "I was able to just lift the level of my game."

This Serena may not be quite as quick and is a little more adverse to risk-taking, but she's a more mature, well-rounded player, who knows how to weave her way through matches when she's out of rhythm.

After coming back in the quarterfinals from down a set and trailing 5-3 in the second against Svetlana Kuznetsova, she was more than ready to fly to her fourth Australian title. And soar she did. At the majors, Williams usually scratches herself first with mediocre play. But once she launches herself into a zone, she bears her fingernails and takes deep cuts out of her foes' arms.

"It's so tight out there, but I never doubted Serena," said her hitting partner and traveling coach Sasha Bijan. "She has such mental power and puts so much pressure on her opponents with her mental toughness. The court seems so much smaller to them. I don't know any person that has such mental strength and who can take so much out of her head."

On Saturday afternoon, two-time U.S. Open champion Tracy Austin went out to watch Williams practice and was wowed. "She was just ripping the ball, especially her returns," said Austin. "She wore out Venus' serving and had to call in her hitting partner to serve her some more. You could tell how focused she was and how much she wanted it."

While that was true, Serena wasn't sure of her victory. One of the boldest and most outspoken athletes on the planet, even she had room for pause.

"I'm human and I have doubt," said Williams, who re-gained the No. 1 ranking with the victory. "I thought for a second today that even if I lose, people won't see it in the U.S. because of the time zone change, and that's kind of doubting yourself. Everyone has it and it's how you overcome it is how you bring out the champion."

The final was then a rather simple affair: Lock in, serve huge, return like a demon and whenever any attackable ball arrived, rake it. Williams worked her magic to perfection in a blink of an eye in the 58-minute victory, ripping 23 winners with only seven unforced errors and winning an astounding 20 of 21 of her first serve points.

"I didn't even spend one hour on the court today, I was just a ball boy on court," said a flummoxed Safina, the world No. 2, who was thought by many to be playing the best tennis on tour since last May.

But the tall and strong Safina looked very small compared to Williams, who didn't even need to emit one of her deep-throated grunts or ear-piercing screams to win the match.

"I'm so impressed that she can turn a switch on and go from being not so good to being at another level above everyone else," said U.S. Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez. "There's no one who can contend with her when she plays like that. She says 'It's in me, I believe it and it's going to come out when it matters most in the final.' "

Williams, the 2008 U.S. Open champion, hadn't won back-to-back Grand Slams since 2003, when she completed the so-called "Serena Slam" at the Australian Open.

From mid-2003, the last time she won Wimbledon, through June of 2008, she had a couple of spectacular runs to major titles, but was far from dominant week in and week out. But from the time she banged her way to the 2008 Wimbledon final and lost a heartbreaker to Venus, she's looked focused, hungry and capable of being the world's top player again.

Fernandez, Bijan, and, of course, Williams think she's capable of dominating again, even though the 27-year-old is in her 11th full year on tour and has suffered a plethora of injures.

"She's showing signs of it with her constancy at the majors," Fernandez said. "She reached the finals of Wimbledon, which I thought she should have won, and then won the U.S. Open and here. She said to me, 'If I play like this, no one can beat me.' She just does everything so well."

Without question, the WTA Tour has been stung by the retirements of some of its elite players over the past two years, most notably, former No. 1s Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin. It also didn't help the strength of the Australian or U.S. Opens fields that last year's Aussie champion Maria Sharapova has been out with a shoulder injury since August.

But there's something to be said for the survival of the fittest theory in women's tennis and Serena has been on both ends of it -- losing hurt and winning when healthy. Plus, she's beaten every elite player of note since she came on tour and if anyone deserves plaudits for consistently bringing her "A" game when it matters most, it's Serena, who is 10-3 in major finals.

"It's a lot weaker field, but you could put anyone on the other side of the court tonight and Serena would have won the match," Fernandez said.

Serena has been both a miracle worker and a dream crusher. In Melbourne, she came back from match points down in 2003 against Clijsters and in 2005 against Sharapova. In her 2007 title run, she turned around troublesome deficits against Shahar Peer and Nadia Petrova. This year, she came off the ropes and knocked out Kuznetsova.

But in her last three finals, she's been untouchable, coming from a set and a break down against Lindsay Davenport to overcome her fellow American 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 in 2005. Two years ago, she embarrassed Sharapova 6-1, 6-2. Against Sharapova's fellow Russian, Safina, she only gave up three games again.

No mercy is her rule in finals.

Serena has proved that her consistent statement that she's never out of a match is no hollow boast.

"You are born with that," Fernandez said. "Look at the 2005 Australian, she was out of shape and no one gave her chance and she did it because she believed in herself."

With her 10th Grand Slam title, Serena is now just two short of her former Fed Cup captain and one of her personal heroes, Billie Jean King. The quickest way to get there would be to win the calendar year Grand Slam this year, a feat that hasn't been achieved since all-time great Steffi Graf accomplished it in 1988.

Given that she hasn't performed particularly well at the French Open in the past few years and that many of her closest competitors are excellent clay courters, it will be more than a tough go, but her chances can't be easily dismissed.

Bijan says it's possible. After all, she's Serena Williams, and Williams believes she's the gold standard in her sport.

She just might be.

"I know I can do Wimbledon, but the key is the French," Serena said. "Last year I put way too much pressure on myself and I was tight and over-hit. But if I'm fit and more positive, I can do it. But for whatever reason, even though I own an apartment there, the French don't clap for me. I'm thinking I have a good chance to win Paris, not the calendar year Grand Slam, but Paris and then the next Grand Slam and the next Grand Slam and the next Grand Slam."

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »
it's been years since I've followed mens tennis - becker days. Yesterday I was lucky enough the catch the last hr of the Nadal match at the gym. I've seen some good tennis back in the day, but that match was real tears. both fellas had real gas in reserve..did you guys check the serve speed after 5 hrs of play?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
tonite is de men's final?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
now flickin tru de guide,it startin 3:30 am

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
Just finished watching the final and the trophy presentation. Good match untill the fifth set. This Nadal is a monster and federa starting to look like a pussy cat(meowww). I mean , de man cry through the fleckin ceremony oui. I is a Federa fan eh but dat is just pathetic. De last time I cry like dat after a loss I was like 12yrs old. According to Paul Keens(tibbletanius); Embarrassing man, Embarrassing. ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »
Sampras mussee cyah stop sing Nadal's praises.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 10:15:24 AM »
Nadal beats Federer in five sets in Aussie final MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Rafael Nadal held off Roger Federer in another momentum-swinging, five-set final to win the Australian Open on Sunday, keeping the Grand Slam singles record safe for now.

After coming through the longest match in the tournament's history to reach the championship match, Nadal needed 4 hours, 23 minutes Sunday to win 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-2.

Federer, who was trying to equal Pete Sampras' 14 major titles, has lost to Nadal the last three times they've met in Grand Slam finals.

The 27-year-old Swiss star couldn't hold back tears at the presentation.

"Maybe I'll try later. God, it's killing me," Federer said, sobbing. He returned to congratulate Nadal within minutes, saying: "You deserved it. You played a fantastic final."

Nadal collected the trophy and put his arm around Federer.

"Roger, sorry for today. I really know how you feel right now," Nadal said. "Remember, you're a great champion, you're one of the best in history."

Rafael Nadal stopped Roger Federer from winning a record-tying 14th Slam title. (Rob Griffith / Associated Press)

He accepted the cup from Rod Laver, who was in Australia to mark the start of the 40th anniversary of the last Grand Slam season.

"To receive this trophy from Rod Laver is a dream for me," Nadal said.

Federer, so dominant when he won three of the four majors in 2006 and 2007, has now lost finals on three different surfaces to Nadal.

Now it's the 22-year-old Nadal who seems more likely to be the first since Laver to complete a Grand Slam with wins in one year in all four majors.

Nadal, who has four consecutive titles on clay at Roland Garros and beat Federer on grass in a five-set epic at Wimbledon last year, became the first Spaniard to win the Australian title.

He has now won five of the seven Grand Slam finals he's played against Federer and is 13-6 overall against him.

Nadal beat Federer in the last French Open and Wimbledon finals and replaced him at No. 1 last August after winning the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics.

Federer, who turned around that season with a U.S. Open title, saved two championship points from 15-40 in the eighth game of the fifth set but sent a forehand long on the third match point.

Nadal flopped onto his back, then got up and raced to shake hands.

The players put their arms around the other's shoulders at the net as they walked off the court.

Drenched in sweat, Nadal raised his fist, applauded the crowd's standing ovation, then went over to shake hands with his coach and other supporters.

Although Federer actually won one more point - 174-173 - his serve let him down all too frequently. He connected on only 51 percent of his first serves, and it seemed as if all of his six double-faults came at critical times.

And as the pressure ratcheted up in the fifth set, it was Federer who wilted, not Nadal. Federer had six winners and 14 unforced errors in the set, while Nadal had just two unforced errors and dropped only three points in four service games.

With more Swiss flags than Spanish national colors, the crowd was buzzing even during warmups.

Despite flashes of brilliance, what they got wasn't always great tennis early, but there was no shortage of drama.

Both players started tight, committing uncharacteristic errors. Knowing that weak shots would be punished, they were pushing the limits.

They exchanged service breaks in the first two games. Normally calm on court, Federer pumped his fist after breaking for a 4-2 lead only to double-fault when facing break point in the next game.

Nadal got the key break with Federer serving at 5-5. The crowd was stunned when he smacked a forehand wide on an easy short ball to make it 15-40, and Nadal followed with a forehand passing shot winner, then held for the set.

With Nadal seemingly getting to everything and ripping winners, Federer was looking tentative and hesitating to charge the net.

But he started putting winners together and cutting his mistakes in the second set. After Nadal broke for a 4-3 lead, Federer broke the Spaniard's next two service games, taking a 5-3 lead after converting his fifth break point of the game. He then held to take the set.

Then the match intensified. One fan shouted: "Make him work, Roger!" referring to Nadal's 5-hour, 14-minute semifinal win over Fernando Verdasco on Friday, which could have left him tired. But Nadal showed few signs of fatigue.

Amid a series of rallies lasting more than 20 shots, Nadal saved six break points in his last two service games in the third set, and Federer fended off a set point while serving at 5-6.

A lunging backhand volley winner gave Nadal a 6-3 lead in the tiebreaker, earning him chants of "Rafa!" and Federer double-faulted.

Federer saved five break points while serving at 2-2 in the fourth set, then broke Nadal in the next game for a 4-2 edge.

He closed with a service winner to even it at two sets apiece.

Nadal broke Federer for a 3-1 lead and the clock ticked past midnight in the next game, taking the tournament into a third week.

It was the first Australian Open men's final to go to five sets since Mats Wilander beat Pat Cash in 1988, the first at Melbourne Park.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
hard luck there roger.  Rafa seem to have yuh number.

giggsy11

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
Just finished watching the final and the trophy presentation. Good match untill the fifth set. This Nadal is a monster and federa starting to look like a pussy cat(meowww). I mean , de man cry through the fleckin ceremony oui. I is a Federa fan eh but dat is just pathetic. De last time I cry like dat after a loss I was like 12yrs old. According to Paul Keens(tibbletanius); Embarrassing man, Embarrassing. ;D

LOL! He cryin cause he know that Rafa is he daddy! He still cah beat the fella after alll the extra rest he get. Rafa is an unbelievable player and speciMEN! Mentally and physically superior to all he comes across! For alll Federer skills he somes allows him self tuh get mentally pysched out he also does a poor job of making adjustments. Whose yuh daddy Roger?

giggsy11

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »

The last player tuh put down a cry like that was Sampras during a match against Courier. He was crying about his coach having cancer. Sensitive chap like Federer..

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »
Sampras mussee cyah stop sing Nadal's praises.
in time fed go pass 14

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
Congrats Serena and Nadal.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »
de fosto woulda be proud of federer today oui...real tears the man shed...i hope that he will reach the 14 one day..but at this rate nadal is on course to be the GOAT...provided his knees hold up

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
de fosto woulda be proud of federer today oui...real tears the man shed...

All yuh is d best

1]; } ?>