April 19, 2024, 12:57:18 PM

Author Topic: Sbragia would walk if Sunderland sell Jones.  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sbragia would walk if Sunderland sell Jones.
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
Sunderland's Sbragia would quit rather than sell Kenwyne Jones.
By: Zack Wilson (Goal.com).

The Black Cats manager has issued a defiant denial that the Wearsiders are ready to sell the Trinidad & Tobago hitman.

Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia, who only took over the position from Roy Keane on a permanent basis last month, has announced today that he would rather leave the club than sell star striker Kenwyne Jones.

Jones has been in good form since returning from a knee injury that he suffered whilst playing for Trinidad & Tobago against England in June. The powerful striker has struck up an effective and much-feared striking partnership with Frenchman Djibril Cisse, and has notched four goals in his last five games.

Signed for £6 million in summer 2007 from Southampton, Tottenham Hotpsur are believed to be lining up a £15 million bid for the player manager Harry Redknapp feels would perfectly complement Jermain Defoe. Aston Villa are also rumoured to be keeping tabs on the forward.

Sunderland boss Ricky Sbragia is digging his heels in on the matter and is not prepared to let the player go.

"He's going nowhere," Sbragia told the Sunderland Echo earlier.

"I have said before that I'm not interested in selling my best players. It is the same as with Kenwyne. I'm not interested in letting my best players go and I don't need to sell."

When quizzed further as to whether there was a figure at which Jones would be allowed to leave, Sbragia again spoke forcefully.

"As far as I am concerned, there is no price because I need him - I need all the players I can get," the Press Association reports him as saying.

"If I go and sell my best players, I would be better walking, I would be better going out of the door, it's as simple as that. I came into the job to try to keep Sunderland up and try to move up the table, and there's one thing I won't do, sell my players."

Sbragia added that Jones was a vital part of his squad and that there is no way that he would consider selling the striker to a club who are in direct competition with the the Black Cats at the wrong end of the table.

"I just can't see the point of selling my best centre-forward - or one of them - to a club that's in the same position as us. As far as I am concerned, it was always going to be a 'no', and it always will be a 'no'," the Scot went on.

"Whatever Tottenham do might unsettle the player, that could be a problem. But it's just going to be 'no', it's as simple as that.

"He is an important member of the team, he is now hitting form, he is scoring goals and Sunderland Football Club need him here."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sbragia would walk if Sunderland sell Jones.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
KJ stay boy....after this season ManCity might offer Sunderland 20 Mil for yuh so bide yuh time...and yuh goe get higher wages....Goin Villa and Spurs aint really no step forward....plus yuh getting playing time now and Sunderland keep faith in yuh while yuh was injured....doe burn yuh bridges...
I an I iz u and u..seen

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
KJ stay boy....after this season ManCity might offer Sunderland 20 Mil for yuh so bide yuh time...and yuh goe get higher wages....Goin Villa and Spurs aint really no step forward....plus yuh getting playing time now and Sunderland keep faith in yuh while yuh was injured....doe burn yuh bridges...

STEUPS...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
Jimbo,
          You make some sense they!!!

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

Firast chance tuh nake bigger money...do like Usain and Bolt!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

De man just by a new Bentley. He not suffering. Hopefully money is not his main motivator in life.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
I hope that manager not serious...every player have dey price and clubs have books to balance. Tha walkin away if a player get sold thing eh make sense, he need to know what club he at. Real Madrid, Liverpool, AC Milan lose players so what he talkin about when he at Sunderland.
It's only kinky the 1st time

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

De man just by a new Bentley. He not suffering. Hopefully money is not his main motivator in life.

yuh like to talk shit!

Yuh feel Sunderland eh go sell he f de price right?

So what f he buy a Bentlry?  Suppose he break he foot and cyar make de payments?

Man take de offer and haul ass.

Sunderland eh sure to be in the EPL next year.  Not that I want them to get demoted, but run.....dem eh winning ah ting, he ahve ah chance at Aston Villa to go Europe and at least challenge for a trophy.

allyuh he say dat shit when Yorke left Villa for Man U...or yuh didn;t watch football den?

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »
Sunderland eh sure to be in the EPL next year.

Dey have a good chance with staying in d EPL once KJ stay fit...and again why would u sell KJ to another EPL team...iz like shooting yuhself in d foot....similar to u I guess.... :o
I an I iz u and u..seen

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:27:08 AM »
Has anyone bothered to take the time to ask KJ what he wants/ thinks?
Does KJ want out of Sunderland?

We all know Kaka's opinion on his choice of Milan over Man C.
With Milan prodding Kaka to speak with Man C, they are almost encouraging him to sign and ship out - and so far it is the player who is showing loyalty to the club, which ironically, is hard to come by these days - especially when 15% of 120M quid + $500k/ week is being waved in front of you.

throw parties, not grenades.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:43:53 AM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

yuh like to talk shit!

Yuh feel Sunderland eh go sell he f de price right?

So what f he buy a Bentlry?  Suppose he break he foot and cyar make de payments?

Man take de offer and haul ass.

Sunderland eh sure to be in the EPL next year.  Not that I want them to get demoted, but run.....dem eh winning ah ting, he ahve ah chance at Aston Villa to go Europe and at least challenge for a trophy.

allyuh he say dat shit when Yorke left Villa for Man U...or yuh didn;t watch football den?

If he breaks a foot he is still paid.

I suspect he wasn't on the breadline during his recent few months out.

My honest opinion

I think Villa would be a good step forward (at the moment) for Kenwyne, not so much Spurs as its owners are just out for the money hence players / managers changing so much.

Kenwyne wages are rumoured to be around £25,000 per week, as I said before I doubt he will be sold in Jan, the summer would be a different argument.  I would expect the club to offer him an extension and payrise probably in the region of £50,000 per week, Cisse is rumoured to be on £70,000 per week (his Marsielle wages), if he won't sign the extension then the club may want to cash in on him, because his value will be higher and a decent amount of time 2 years left on his contract. 

I would of loved to see both him and Bent in the same team, the club had agreed a fee for Bent in the summer but Keane and Berbatov left so it messed up the deal.  The latest bit from one paper is Bent + £4 Million or a straight swap in another paper.  Villa are also listed as interested in Bent, I don't know if that is true or Redknapp just advertising he is for sale (2nd time this week) through his media mates, I suspect the latter.  The only advantage to a Bent swap is that the club will know who is going to play next season, if Kenwyne goes and Cisse goes elsewhere there would be no one, especially if we are relegated ( Spurs are not safe yet). Bent is a good player but is he far too similar to Cisse to work in teh same team. 

The simple truth is I don't think Kenwyne will be sold this month, Spurs will keep on at it though, if Kenwyne tells the club he wants a move then that will change it because you are better off letting him leave and taking the money if his head gets turned, thats the only way I can see it happening.  We would of had all this in the summer but for his injury and as I pointed out then I thought Spurs would be the most likely suitors. 

It is OK to say take the money and run, but those shouting the loudest wouldn't be saying that if clubs didn't pay players when they were injured, could sack them if they are no good and not have to pay their contract.  You can't have it both ways and pick when it is working for you and when its not.  Thats my general feeling to players at the minute not just this instance and its becoming a general feeling amongst most fans really.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:50:07 AM »
Sunderland's Sbragia would quit rather than sell Kenwyne Jones.
By: Zack Wilson (Goal.com).

The Black Cats manager has issued a defiant denial that the Wearsiders are ready to sell the Trinidad & Tobago hitman.

"I just can't see the point of selling my best centre-forward - or one of them - to a club that's in the same position as us. As far as I am concerned, it was always going to be a 'no', and it always will be a 'no'," the Scot went on.

Translation: Lets pray Jones keep scoring so we can sell him for 20-25 million at the end of the season.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »
Probably better piece with quotes from yesterdays press conference that I have just found

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/80207

TOTTENHAM HELL-BENT ON SIGNING £14M JONES

Target: Kenwyne Jones

Friday January 16,2009
By Niall Hickman and Matt Law

Tottenham are ready to ignore the “hands off” warning of Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia by offering Darren Bent as bait in their bid to sign striker Kenwyne Jones.

Sbragia insisted Jones was not for sale after the Express exclusively revealed Spurs’ willingness to pay £14million for the Trinidad & Tobago international.

But, desperate to land a new partner for Jermain Defoe, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp will try to tempt Sbragia into reviewing his stance by offering Bent and £4m in exchange for Jones.

In the summer, former Sunderland boss Roy Keane tried to sign Bent, who was also offered to West Ham as part of a Spurs bid for Craig Bellamy.

But if Sunderland are not interested now in taking Bent, then Tottenham may also be prepared to part with midfielder Jermaine Jenas in an effort to get Jones.

Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia

But the manouvering led to Sbragia taking his gloves off for the first time since taking over, and he did a very passable impression of Keane as he laid into Spurs. Hull did not escape his ire either, after Tigers boss Phil Brown revealed his desire to take midfielder Dean Whitehead. “I’m annoyed that it has come out into the open,” said Sbragia.

“I spoke to Phil Brown on Wednesday and asked him if he wanted me to talk to him before their Newcastle game.

He said, ‘No, I’d prefer to concentrate on the game’

“The next thing he is spelling it out in the press, which I thought was disrespectful.

“He did not mention Whitehead at all. All of a sudden they are all interested in our players, but they haven’t put any offer in. I’m interested in a million players but I haven’t mentioned it, so it’s disrespectful to make it so that the whole world knows.

“I would not do that. I don’t think it’s right. You talk about respect for people and I gave Phil respect by saying I wouldn’t talk to him until after the game. But then Phil leaked it out. It’s up to them, though, that’s their situation. I have enough on my plate.”

As for Spurs, Sbragia is even more angry with the way the north London club have conducted their campaign to lure Jones from Wearside in the open.

“There has been a light enquiry,” said Sbragia.

“He is scoring goals and he has not come to see me and I don’t want him to see me. This just unsettles players. Spurs are after every player in the league and it’s all a bit far-fetched.

“Kenwyne won’t be sold, simple. I speak to my chairman Niall Quinn three times a day and he won’t be sold. It’s a no. And Niall said, ‘No-go, they are wasting their time’.

“We show interest in players but what I don’t do is make it public. No matter what club he is at, he is at their club.

“Tottenham seem to be in for everybody and they make sure it goes in the papers. That’s completely wrong. We can all be desperate but we have to keep our house in order.

I will not sell players to teams around us.

“If it was AC Milan or Real Madrid, I then might have a problem. I would have to think about that, and if someone comes in with something in the summer who knows?

“Spurs do what Spurs do, that’s what they do. It’s not the way to do business.

“It should be in private and I would never leak anything out. It’s not right.

“They unsettled Stewart Downing but he wasn’t unsettled last Saturday. He was excellent against us.

“Kenwyne is not going and I hope Kenwyne follows Stewart’s lead and plays well for the rest of the season.” Sbragia has taken defender Paul McShane back to the Stadium of Light following his loan spell at Hull as he badly needs cover in that department.

He said: “He is not coming to sit on the bench as I need competition. I don’t want slackness and Paul can push them. Paul can play at right-back and centre-back.

“I spoke to him three weeks ago and he was loving it at Hull. He was playing week in, week out, but this is the right time to bring him back.

“As for players leaving, I can’t see the point in selling to a club in the same position as us. I would be better walking.

“I came into the job to keep Sunderland up and if there’s one thing I won’t do, it is to sell my best players.”

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 05:19:44 AM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

What do you think is his main motivator then, playing for a shitty team that consistently languishes in and around the relegation zone?

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:26:20 AM »
Tottenham are an unstable team.....

While I like Harry Redknapp's style of player management, He also has a history of jumping at every new offer. West Ham, Portsmouth, Saints, Portsmouth now Tottenham.

Tottenham are perennial underachievers but Redknapp's movements hinting of desperation to me and that is not a good sign. He kinda moving like Keane attempting to bring in a lot of players without necessarily improving the overall quality of the squad, all that does is put yourself under pressure when results don't come your way cause money done spend.

He has already done brilliantly to get the club in their current position from that horrible start, I don't think the club would put him under any more pressure this season once he maintains their premiership status. Then he could revalute the squad over the summer and enhance where necessary. It just not liking his approach. He moving like his job in jeopardy if they don't qualify for europe. And if it really is the case, then Kenwyne should be at a club like that in the first place.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 07:33:24 AM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

What do you think is his main motivator then, playing for a shitty team that consistently languishes in and around the relegation zone?
Sunderland and Spurs wearing de same pants right now.

Villa is another story.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:17 AM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

OK I am going to bite here and apply your bias and logic to the 3 trini's in the shit team, ignoring any other side other than bad.

Yorke, only came to Sunderland for the money and only given a contract on good money because Keane had absolute say and he is his mate.  Even when his contract was up, he didn't want to be at Sunderland and wanted to play in Australia where it is hot, but he was that greedy that he wouldn't accept the pay and yet even after stating this was still given a contract by his mate, when any other club would have chased him for what he said, no other EPL team would touch him with a bargepole.

Edwards a 2nd rate player who is blatantly not upto Prem standard, bought with the Trini connection and although has been playing in the country for 8 years has never attracted any interest from any Prem team and would of probably been plying his trade in the lower leagues if not for Sunderland.

Jones a player that again failed to attract any interest from any decent team, after poor loan spells at Stoke, Sheffield and didn't really pull up at trees at Southampton.  Was only a 3rd choice after deals for 2 other players fell through.  Regarded by pundits as a star one week and a pub team player the next, with a debatable attitude / application and doesn't fulfil contracts. He is great in the air (when he can be arsed), first touch and shooting is mostly poor and has missed numerous chances from a couple of yards out. Scored 7 goals in the prem and disapeared for the last 3rd of the season, has been injured most of this season yet to perform to any significant level.

There you go easy when you look at it in a bias and blinkered way.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »
Jimbo,

some nonsense.

OK I am going to bite here and apply your bias and logic to the 3 trini's in the shit team, ignoring any other side other than bad.

Yorke, only came to Sunderland for the money and only given a contract on good money because Keane had absolute say and he is his mate.  Even when his contract was up, he didn't want to be at Sunderland and wanted to play in Australia where it is hot, but he was that greedy that he wouldn't accept the pay and yet even after stating this was still given a contract by his mate, when any other club would have chased him for what he said, no other EPL team would touch him with a bargepole.

Edwards a 2nd rate player who is blatantly not upto Prem standard, bought with the Trini connection and although has been playing in the country for 8 years has never attracted any interest from any Prem team and would of probably been plying his trade in the lower leagues if not for Sunderland.

Jones a player that again failed to attract any interest from any decent team, after poor loan spells at Stoke, Sheffield and didn't really pull up at trees at Southampton.  Was only a 3rd choice after deals for 2 other players fell through.  Regarded by pundits as a star one week and a pub team player the next, with a debatable attitude / application and doesn't fulfil contracts. He is great in the air (when he can be arsed), first touch and shooting is mostly poor and has missed numerous chances from a couple of yards out. Scored 7 goals in the prem and disapeared for the last 3rd of the season, has been injured most of this season yet to perform to any significant level.

your back broad?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:50 AM »

And FINALLY.  You state how you truly feel.

Confession is good for the soul... 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »

To be sure Sunderland gave them opportunities... but this was no mere act of altruism, obviously Keane saw in Yorke and Edwards, qualities which bode to serve the club well, and his faith was vindicated.  Jones, however required no such leap of faith (despite your claim that he "failed to attract any interest from any decent team") certainly the Sunderland scouts aren't the only ones gifted with spotting talent and potential... a number of factors brought Jones to Wearside, none of them being charity.

But I recognize the impetus for your post... so no need to unnecessarily belabor the point.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 09:54:46 AM »

To be sure Sunderland gave them opportunities... but this was no mere act of altruism, obviously Keane saw in Yorke and Edwards, qualities which bode to serve the club well, and his faith was vindicated.  Jones, however required no such leap of faith (despite your claim that he "failed to attract any interest from any decent team") certainly the Sunderland scouts aren't the only ones gifted with spotting talent and potential... a number of factors brought Jones to Wearside, none of them being charity.

But I recognize the impetus for your post... so no need to unnecessarily belabor the point.

had to look that up :)

just making a point, but must admit suprised you bothered to respond BNS given its obvious reason and bias viewpoint.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »

just making a point, but must admit suprised you bothered to respond BNS given its obvious reason and bias viewpoint.

consider it idleness, lol

but I understand your point... I'd get tired of the constant cry-down too if men only keep referring to my side as a "shit" side... seemingly ungrateful of the opportunities the team offering/offered their countrymen.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
Yowser ....... this is why this is the best forum in the galaxy ....

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
Hey Kev do stern,I think you guys treated him bad ,after leading u to the prem .

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »
I'd get tired of the constant cry-down too if men only keep referring to my side as a "shit" side
lol.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 09:34:48 AM »
The soap opera continues

So please stay tuned...... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

All this shows is that as much as you think you know,it shows how much you do not....yeh

Just blessings

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
Well said Kev.........(loved your last post.......true bias)

ah love it!!

I am glad you gave some forumites a little piece of their own medicine......

I know it must be really hard for you to read all these posts crying down YOUR team. 

I must admit though, that you are a very objective poster and you bring a level of reality to the high and unrealisitic expectations that most people on this site have for our Sunderland trio.

To be honest, most of them love Sunderland (because our boys are there) and they just playing the fool and provoking the situation just to get some attention.

I am sure that not many posters would understand the point you were trying to prove with your last post, but please note that there are a couple of us who do!!

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:33:06 AM »

consider it idleness, lol

but I understand your point... I'd get tired of the constant cry-down too if men only keep referring to my side as a "shit" side... seemingly ungrateful of the opportunities the team offering/offered their countrymen.

Wow dread...I gone too long....

Anyway, both of alyuh have one on me :beermug:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
Wow dread...I gone too long....

Anyway, both of alyuh have one on me :beermug:

Lol, Kev make mih do an about face about ah month ago... he does a good job at both putting a face to the Mackems and their suffering, and in being balanced in assessing Sunderland.

Even doh I still think his head's in the clouds where race relations stand in the UK... eh Kev?  ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
I hope that manager not serious...every player have dey price and clubs have books to balance. Tha walkin away if a player get sold thing eh make sense, he need to know what club he at. Real Madrid, Liverpool, AC Milan lose players so what he talkin about when he at Sunderland.

I think it's more a figure of speech.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>