March 29, 2024, 02:42:11 AM

Author Topic: Pittsburgh Steelers V Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl XLIII  (Read 6670 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Pittsburgh Steelers V Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl XLIII
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:40 PM »
Cardinals Team Report
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald's stellar postseason play has its roots in the offseason.

After signing a four-year, $40 million deal, Fitzgerald worked harder than ever, and the result is a well-rounded receiver.
Coordinator Todd Haley and coach Ken Whisenhunt pushed Fitzgerald hard and told him bluntly that he needed to earn the contract he'd been given.

Fitzgerald accepted the coaching. He has become a more refined route runner, and he's gaining yards after the catch, something he did only occasionally in his first four years.

Haley emphasized that Fitzgerald had the size (6-feet-3, 220 pounds) to break the tackles of defensive backs. Too often in his first four seasons, Fitzgerald was content to go down after the catch. His forte was making acrobatic catches down the sideline, but Haley constantly reminded Fitzgerald that he couldn't be a "one-trick pony."

Fitzgerald will never remind anyone of Anquan Boldin, who has the running ability of a tailback, but he has become a threat with the ball in his hands.

"I know Pittsburgh is going to have a great scheme to try and slow him down," Haley said, "so I don't think it's going to be easy for us. I don't think it was easy last week and I don't think it was easy the week before that."

Notes and Quotes
-- The Cardinals hope the sideline tiff between Anquan Boldin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley is a dead issue. Boldin addressed the situation last week in Arizona and no doubt will be asked about it again this week. "It's taken care of; it's a non-issue," said strong safety Adrian Wilson.

-- The players received their Super Bowl tickets last Saturday, two days before departing for Tampa. "I've never even seen a Super Bowl ticket," said center Lyle Sendlein, "and now here I am holding 15 of them. So it's pretty amazing."
-- Offensive coordinator Todd Haley is rumored to be a candidate for the Chiefs job, but he says he knows nothing about it. "I've got five kids so the last thing I'm thinking about is moving anywhere," he said. "I'm just enjoying what's going on right here and the fact we've been able to do something nobody else has been able to do."

-- Haley and Kurt Warner don't hide their emotions. If they have something to say, they say it. "I've had my run-ins with both of them," said receiver Steve Breaston. "I had them come at me from both sides one time, but they're pretty much equal."

-- The Cardinals will continue to play the disrespect card, and why not? It has worked for them the past three weeks. "It's been tough because every time you turn on the TV or read something, it wasn't very good," said coach Ken Whisenhunt. "You don't have to look hard to find something that would motivate us."

Strategy and Personnel
PLAYER NOTES

-- DE/OLB Travis LaBoy suffered a left biceps injury and will try to play with a brace. LaBoy had one custom made and he'll see in practice this week how the injury might limit him.
-- RB J.J. Arrington hopes to practice this week after suffering a knee injury Super Bowl XLIII. Arrington missed practice last week.

-- WR Anquan Boldin appears to be fully recovered from a hamstring strain that limited him in one playoff game and kept him out of another. Boldin ran full speed in the three practices last week.

-- P Ben Graham didn't do much last week because of a strained groin. The week off should help and he expects to play in Super Bowl XLIII. He is the first Australian to play in the game and he has been dealing with a large number of interview requests from his home continent.

-- DE Antonio Smith suffered a knee injury in last week's NFC title game but an MRI revealed no serious damage. Smith was limited in practice and expects to play Sunday.

PLAYOFF REPORT CARD

PASSING OFFENSE: A -- Kurt Warner has been sharp, completing 66.3 percent of his passes for 770 yards, eight touchdowns and two interceptions in the playoffs. Larry Fitzgerald has been the main target, with 419 yards and five touchdowns.

RUSHING OFFENSE B -- The numbers aren't flashy but when graded on the curve, they are decent. The Cardinals were last in the league in rushing but in three playoff games they've averaged 111 yards per game, nearly 40 yards more than the regular season.

RUSH DEFENSE: A -- The Cardinals shut down some very good rushing teams in Atlanta and Carolina. And the Eagles didn't get much, either. Opponents are averaging 4.1 yards a carry during the playoffs but the Cardinals have prevented the big runs.

PASSING DEFENSE: A -- The Cardinals have eight interceptions and seven sacks in three playoff games. The line is bringing pressure and the secondary, which struggled some during the season, is now making plays.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B -- Kicker Neil Rackers continues to be reliable and the coverage teams have been solid. Punter Ben Graham has been excellent in pinning teams in their territory. The return teams, however, aren't producing much. The special teams are drawing fewer penalties.

COACHING: A -- This staff knows how to coach in big games, as it has proven in the postseason. Coach Ken Whisenhunt had his team peaking at the right time. The game plans on both sides of the ball have been creative and effective.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:14:12 PM by capodetutticapi »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Pittsburg Steelers V Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl XLIII
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »
Steelers Team Report

Hines Ward's ailing right knee "feels better" and he hopes to practice with the Steelers when they resume preparations Wednesday for the Super Bowl.

"It feels better," Ward said Monday after the Steelers' charter touched down in Tampa. "I don't have a brace on, I walk around fine. It's not going to be 100 percent, I'm not going to trick anybody, but I think I'm going to be good, to be able to go out and perform like I want to."
Ward has been going through extra rehabilitation on his right knee, injured in the first quarter of the AFC Championship Game. He has a slight MCL sprain, and he's breathing pure oxygen in a chamber to aid the healing process. He had the chamber shipped to Tampa.

After a strenuous weekend of rehab that included waking every three hours to ice down his knee, Ward took somewhat of a break on Monday.

"I've been rehabbing all weekend long. Off today. I did a little rehab this morning before we came down here."

He will resume Tuesday morning before he attends Media Day at Raymond James Stadium.

"I really can't say because I haven't run or cut or done anything," said Ward. "I was just constantly getting treatment, 24 hours around the clock."

Ward led the Steelers with 81 receptions for 1,043 yards, his best season statistically since 2003. He is the Steelers' career leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns.

Notes and Quotes -- The last time the Steelers arrived in a Super Bowl, they wore Jerome Bettis replica Notre Dame jerseys when they got off the plane in Detroit three years ago.
On Monday, the offensive linemen wanted to wear Dermontti Dawson replica jerseys in honor of the former Steelers center who is among the finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame this week. Dawson retired after the 2000 season. However, the jerseys that were shipped were too small and would not fit them. They hope to have a new shipment sometime this week.

Dan Rooney, 76, says this has been the best professional year of his life. Why? He and his son Art II fought off an outside bid to purchase the Steelers, and convinced four of Dan's brothers to sell their shares to him and new partners he lined up. He also endorsed Barack Obama, campaigned for him and has become a friend of the new president. And his team is in the Super Bowl.

"It's been tremendous," Rooney said.

-- The Steelers expect a huge crowd of Steelers fans at Raymond James Stadium Sunday, something akin to what occurred in Detroit three years ago.

"It's awesome," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "Every time we go to an away city, in a way it feels like a home game because there are so many fans. We expect them to be out there and having fun."

Strategy and Personnel PLAYER NOTES
--QB Ben Roethlisberger was not nearly as effective running the ball the past season. He had 34 runs for 101 yards in 2008, but had 204 yards on 35 runs in 2007.

-- WR Nate Washington was the most likely of the receivers to have a run from scrimmage last season with five, but Santonio Holmes has had two in two playoff games.

-- SS Troy Polamalu's seven interceptions during the regular season have not been topped among Steelers since Rod Woodson's eight in 1993. Polamalu added an eighth with his 40-yard touchdown return against Baltimore in the AFC title game.

-- OT Max Starks, like Hines Ward, also has a sprained knee from the AFC title game but he practiced some last week using a brace.

-- CB Ike Taylor, who could draw Larry Fitzgerald as his assignment Sunday, leads the Steelers with four passes defensed and he also has a quarterback pressure.

PLAYOFF REPORT CARD

PASSING OFFENSE: B -- The stats are not overwhelming, but they rarely are for Pittsburgh's passing game when things are going well. Ben Roethlisberger has a 90.8 rating in two games and it would have been higher if not for two dropped touchdowns passes. He has two touchdowns and no interceptions, and he lost his favorite receiver, Hines Ward, for three quarters of the AFC title game with an injury.

RUSHING OFFENSE: B -- Willie Parker, who has 51 of the 70 postseason carries, had a great game against San Diego, not so great against the Ravens. But few back do have good games against Baltimore's defense. Parker has 193 yards, a 3.8-yard average and two touchdowns. Gary Russell also has one touchdown rushing.

PASS DEFENSE: A-minus -- Pittsburgh's defense, No. 1 against the pass all season, held Philip Rivers and Joe Flacco to a combined 64.2 rating with four interceptions and seven sacks. Troy Polamalu virtually put the AFC championship away when he intercepted Flacco with 4:24 left and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown. Two pass interference penalties, though, helped the Ravens score twice.

RUSH DEFENSE: A -- Two games, 88 yards, a 2.4-yard average. The Steelers did allow two rushing touchdowns of 1 and 3 yards to Baltimore's Willis McGahee, but those came after two pass interference penalties either in or near the end zone gave the Ravens first downs.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B -- Santonio Holmes' 67-yard touchdown return against San Diego tied the game 7-7 and electrified the home crowd after the Chargers jumped out to a quick lead. The Steelers have allowed a punt return of 45 yards and a kickoff return of 63 after showing improvement in both those areas this season. Their punter, Mitch Berger, has continued to do poorly. But kicker Jeff Reed made all three of his field-goal tries, all against Baltimore.

COACHING: C -- Mike Tomlin has made some questionable calls, from fake field goals and punts, going for it on fourth-and-one rather than kicking a field goal and even throwing deep with an 18-point lead and three-minutes left against San Diego rather than running down the clock. It almost seems that they've won in spite of those calls that Tomlin says are merely "aggressive."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Pittsburgh Steelers V Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl XLIII
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:33:20 AM »
Obama rooting for Steelers in Super Bowl WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama said he's pulling for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Arizona Cardinals in football's biggest game on Sunday - and he did so with a politician's touch.

Obama said Thursday that he would root for Pittsburgh against the "long-suffering" and "great Cinderella story" Cardinals. His spokesman also said the president would watch the game with members of Congress.
"I have to say, you know, I wish the Cardinals the best," Obama said diplomatically. "You know, Kurt Warner is a great story, and he's closer to my age than anybody else on the field."

Warner, Arizona's 37-year-old quarterback, came out of nowhere about a decade ago to take the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowls, including a title in 2000. Just when he seemed washed up, Warner rose to the top again this year with a stellar performance. His team was not expected to make the playoffs, let alone get to the title game.

Steelers owner Dan Rooney, a longtime Republican, endorsed Obama's presidential bid and campaigned for him. During Oval Office remarks, Obama noted that one of the Steelers most beloved former players, Franco Harris, had campaigned for him in Pittsburgh, too.

"Other than the (Chicago) Bears," Obama said, "the Steelers are probably the team that's closest to my heart."

Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said the invitation to watch the Super Bowl is part of the new administration's efforts to work across the political aisle, similar to his bipartisan cocktail party Wednesday night at the executive mansion.

"You know, the president also wanted last night to be a little bit more social, you know, so that individuals could better get to know each other and understand where they're coming from in these legislative disagreements," Gibbs told reporters Thursday. "But, again, you know, the president's outreach on this will continue."

During the pregame show, Obama also planned to participate in a live interview on NBC with Matt Lauer.

Vice President Joe Biden, a native of Scranton, Pa., also is cheering for the Steelers. He told CNBC that he's having a Super Bowl party at the vice president's residence "with some of our Republican and Democratic friends."

"I know you're supposed to be one of these guys that says I'm not sure," said Biden. "But I want to make clear, I'm rooting for the Steelers. Go, Mr. Rooney."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
Jeter picks Steelers to win Super Bowl TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Derek Jeter's picking the Pittsburgh Steelers, and it has nothing to do with how good he thinks the AFC champions are.

Sunday, Feb. 1 from Tampa, Fla.
6 p.m. ET (NBC) Steelers vs. Cardinals

"I'm not a football expert, but I'll just take Pittsburgh," said the New York Yankees captain, who lives in Tampa during the offseason and hosted a celebrity golf tournament during Super Bowl week.

Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and retired Steelers running back Jerome Bettis have both supported Jeter's Turn 2 Foundation, so his pick for Sunday's NFL championship game was based on that.

"I pull for guys I know," the Yankees shortstop said.

Former New York Giants linebacker Harry Carson and one-time Chicago Bears defensive star Richard Dent were among the big names participating in Jeter's golf tournament in nearby Wesley Chapel.

Both were part of teams that won Super Bowls.

"My best Super Bowl memory was Super Bowl 21 when Bill Parcells had me walk out for the coin toss by myself," Carson said.

"As I was walking out on the field to the center of the field, John Elway along with about five or six players were walking towards me. That sticks out to me because as that sole, solitary captain I was representing the Giants' organization and representing all of my teammates," he added. "I felt honored."

Dent recalls the Bears beating the Los Angeles Rams in the 1985 NFC championship game more than their lopsided victory over the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

"The road to get in is the road that you never forget. It's important to take the time and enjoy yourself," said Dent, who picks Arizona to win Sunday.

"I like what I see of the Cardinals. They've got big receivers. You've got a quarterback that's been there a couple times," Dent said. "Obviously Pittsburgh, normally defense wins championships. But I like (Arizona general manager) Rod Graves, a guy who was with me in Chicago, I'd like to see him win a Super Bowl."

Former Yankees and New York Mets outfielder Darryl Strawberry is happy to see Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner back in the title game, saying people underestimated him and his ability to still play at a high level.

"You've got to be happy for a guy like Kurt. He's a wonderful guy, and he does wonderful things," Strawberry said. "To see him in the spotlight again is great."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »
Capo, ah could join ya in here ;D ;D

Go Steelers!!!
but it would make one hell of a story if Cardinal pull it off ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »
wooooooowwwwwww,what a way to end de half.nice runback by harrison 100 yards.reviewin de TD

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »
halftime 17-7 steelers

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Back in Trini...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »
I didn't think the Steelers could cover the spread. That turnover was a dagger. Watching the runback it looked like Arizona shut down.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »
I didn't think the Steelers could cover the spread. That turnover was a dagger. Watching the runback it looked like Arizona shut down.
more like shock,they was goin fuh de lead but end up in ah 10ft hole.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »
wooooooowwwwwww,what a way to end de half.nice runback by harrison 100 yards.reviewin de TD

i agree. dat was wicked. i must admit i doh understand 3/4 of what goin on in dis game or dis sport for dat matter but it still enjoyable to watch.

half time show lame for me tho

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:21:19 PM »
second half setting up nice..

after the first couple steelers' drives, i thought cardinals was in danger of letting the game run away from them but they recover well.

i thought cardinals was going in ahead at the half but that 100 yd return could be the game changer. Longest play in Superbowl history.. Lets see how they respond.

Wake me up when bruce springsteen finish singing that nonsense. watching some barca v santander in the mean time.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »

i must admit i doh understand 3/4 of what goin on in dis game or dis sport for dat matter bless!!

I does just switch at d end 2 hear who goin Disneyworld.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
that Cardinals man just pull the whole side stones with that stupid play.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
Cardinals putting in one of the worst superbowl performances in a  along time.

they really looking like they don't belong.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »

u talk too fast..

the no huddle wukkin.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hahahaha 2 min warning

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
de titanic coulda go tru that gapin hole.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 08:56:36 PM »
what a flippin game
it has everything....a safety as result of a penalty in the end zone
 :notworthy: Cardinals doin much better than I thought that they would
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

u talk too fast..

the no huddle wukkin.

The defence get them back in it. Kurt Warner does really pray to God because this game should have been over

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
TD.steelers

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hahahaha 35 seconds wtf

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
If McNabb had done what Ben just did the Iggles would have been playing today. Ah know I had said his play was not the problem but after further review-he pulled stones.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Ben had all the time in the world on that final set .

like holmes lebron shake .

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »
The defence get them back in it. Kurt Warner does really pray to God because this game should have been over

And now it is.

They make Rothlisberger look like a star

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
game done 27-23.steelers with they 6th superbowl.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
Omar Epps is the Steelers Coach  ???

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »
i would have to say pittsburgh lucky,arizona played better.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
10 Santonio Holmes for MVP
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>