March 28, 2024, 10:43:16 AM

Author Topic: Salted Pig Tail  (Read 18996 times)

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Salted Pig Tail
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:43:51 AM »
Can somebody please tell me what I need to make salt meat? Ah here in Germany and den Germans and dem doh really eat or know what to do with pig tail so dey usually sell it at give away prices to feed animals. Ah know that I could find better use for that but ah have no idea what ah need to do and ah doh want to poison noboby.
Thanks in advance for de help. ;D

PS Ah already find a Turkish shop dat sells fresh Okra and ah have rice home so yuh know meh plan.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Salted Pig Tail
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
I believe you have to make a brine and let them little piggy tails soak. You can try using pickling salt to make the brine, since it's made without iodine so it won't discolour the meat. Try finding an italian or asian (thai or veit) food store, they eat a lot of salted meats, so you may luck out.

Be prepared to let that tail soak for a good amount of time, so it can really tenderize the meat a bit and get that distinct salted flavor.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »
yuh could pickle the snout too.it does eat nice with bhaggie and ochro.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks very much for the Information. I will try to find that salt and if necessary order it over the net but how much do I need for lets say 2lbs (1kg) of tails ? Do you know how salty the water has to be? How long do I need to soak the tails?  ???

Ah saw some pig tail on sale in London and it had a red tint to it which did not look very edible so your explanation clarifies how they got that way

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
Thanks very much for the Information. I will try to find that salt and if necessary order it over the net but how much do I need for lets say 2lbs (1kg) of tails ? Do you know how salty the water has to be? How long do I need to soak the tails?  ???

Ah saw some pig tail on sale in London and it had a red tint to it which did not look very edible so your explanation clarifies how they got that way
2 lb is only about 8-10 tails,see if yuh could do some serious weight,in that brine it doh spoil.yuh have yuh 5 gallon bucket?

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:07:14 AM »
Yeh ah have a bucket with a cover already. Doh worry, I intend to fill de bucket with tails. I only use the 2lb as a measure to guide me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:39:53 PM by Montjoy »

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »
Whey sah good timing, ah trying to make a pigtail soup. Found some pigtail, okra, spilt peas, ground provisions at a west Indian grocery. The question is how to start the process.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Ah still hope that somebody could help me out with the quantity of salt that I need and how long the pigtails need to soak   ;D

Ah hope dat allyu will set allyu priorities right and help out de man dat trying to get de salted pigtail before everybody start jumping to help those dat already have de ingredients.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »
"3/4 pound of salt per gallon of water"

From http://www.ochef.com/152.htm

"The basic ratio of salt to water for a brine is 4 Tablespoons of salt per quart (4 cups) of water."

From http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/quick-tip-how-to-brine-meat-047879
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:00:59 PM by Peong »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »
"3/4 pound of salt per gallon of water"

From http://www.ochef.com/152.htm

"The basic ratio of salt to water for a brine is 4 Tablespoons of salt per quart (4 cups) of water."

From http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/quick-tip-how-to-brine-meat-047879

Brining and curing are 2 different things.
To make salt pork you need more salt.

The first link from peong is what you're probably looking for.

also check out
http://www.ehow.com/how_2288746_make-own-salt-pork.html

If you want to go old-school, you can also use some saltpetre, but then the authorities might want to ask some questions since you can use that stuff to make some interesting "recipies". Saltpetre is probably carcinogenic,. But hey, that never stopped us from eating it before!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 02:34:58 PM »
Ah still hope that somebody could help me out with the quantity of salt that I need and how long the pigtails need to soak   ;D

Ah hope dat allyu will set allyu priorities right and help out de man dat trying to get de salted pigtail before everybody start jumping to help those dat already have de ingredients.

Montjoy I dunno de answer, but do ah search on how to "pickle" meat... particularly pig tails if you find de info.  Or visit your local butcher and start asking questions... particularly butchers in the 'ethnic' markets.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
why ya doh use this recipe...

Pickled Pork or Pickle Meat Recipe
2 lbs. Very Fresh Pork (I used Spare rib tips, boned and cut into strips 3″ long by 1″ thick)
1 Qt. White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Mustard Seed
6 Each Whole Cloves
6 Each Whole Allspice
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
3 Fresh Bay Leaves
6 Whole Garlic Cloves
1/2 of a Medium Onion, Coarsely Chopped
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Black Peppercorns
1 pinch Pink Meat Cure
Add all the ingredients except the Pork to a 2 qt Saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes, then place it into a container to cool in the refrigerator. When the mixture is completely cold, add the pork.
Very important: Make sure the pork is completely covered with the brine; gently stir to remove any air bubbles.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 days before using.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/10/16/pickle-meat-or-pickled-pork-recipe/

or just substitute tails for the feet
Pickled Pig Feet
Ingredients:
3-4 pounds split pig feet
1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Instructions:
Boil pig feet in enough water to cover well until tender.
In separate pot mix all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
Pour most of the water off pig feet, replace that liquid with vinegar mixture, bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.
Comments: May double or increase vinegar mixture as needed, if you are cooking a larger amount of pig feet.

from here http://www.soulfoodcookbook.com/pork.html

or you can buy it here
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:05:51 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
readin all these posts trini eh play we innovative nah,we makin we own pigtail. :rotfl: :rotfl:montjoy leh meh know de outcome,ah go try meh hand.

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 06:01:55 AM »
Thanks everybody for all the information. Allyuh make meh real happy here. Ah going and pickup de tails and try meh hand this weekend so ah will let allyuh know how it turn out by the end of next week. 
Bakes it have no butchers in de ethnic markets over here in south Germany.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:21:06 AM by Montjoy »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
West Coast recipe is more along the lines of Garlic Pork.

Pig tail is brined but they probably use some sodium nitrite to give it the pink hue, also use distilled water and if the brine mix is 3/4 lb to 1 gallon i would go at least 1 to 1.
this could take a quite a few weeks to get good results

If yuh want to make corned beef use sodium nitrite too  ;D

sodium nitrate is the one u need to avoid, that is why you shouldn't eat much 'smoked' products, its carcogenic
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
.......is the best thing ever created....and when it BBQ'd....laaawwwwddd fadder.... :drool: :drool:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »
.......is the best thing ever created....and when it BBQ'd....laaawwwwddd fadder.... :drool: :drool:
i try that once,i eh know if i didnt boil it enough,it was too damn salty.end up cuttin it and make soup.all this pigtail talk ah feel ah makin ah cookup saturday,with meh zabooca and water crest.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »
bacon and pork chops is all I could handle :-[
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
bacon and pork chops is all I could handle :-[
bacon is one ting i stay away from.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
i try that once,i eh know if i didnt boil it enough,it was too damn salty.end up cuttin it and make soup.all this pigtail talk ah feel ah makin ah cookup saturday,with meh zabooca and water crest.

Yuh should invite Babs over man.

Yuh might inspire mih tuh try ah thing too... if ah could only shake off de laziness.  De s/o dey gallavantin in TnT and is only so much box food mankind could eat  :rotfl:

I used tuh cook regular, but we make ah deal whey she would cook... now ah get lazy, lol

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »

Yuh should invite Babs over man.

Yuh might inspire mih tuh try ah thing too... if ah could only shake off de laziness.  De s/o dey gallavantin in TnT and is only so much box food mankind could eat  :rotfl:

I used tuh cook regular, but we make ah deal whey she would cook... now ah get lazy, lol

ah feel i will do that.i enjoy puttin up ah pot now and then.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
I agree that yuh probably want to stay away from West Coast recipe as that will not taste like "pig tail".

The sodium nitrite is good for colour but not necessary. As for time and salt content. You can use as much salt as you want but it will affect the time. Since this is your first time you will have to make it and sample it regularly after about one week, if you use a saturated salt solution. Kosher salt is also better than table salt.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »
A note about the salt.

Table salt contains iodine which may colour your pigtail.

Kosher salt or pickling salt.

I have a feeling at this point, you ready to use road salt if it come to that.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:46:43 AM »
I did wonder about de road salt eh  :rotfl: Anyway I can get sea salt (which is more expensive) or Kosher Salt. I am going to pick up my salt and my tails tomorrow and as you said sample as time goes by. I intend to use a 1lb to 1 gallon mix because I have noticed that salt and sugar here are not as salty or as sweet as in the US or T&T. I will not use anything that is bad for your health like sodium nitrite. Thanks again, without this forum it would not have been possible for me to get all this help and information.  :beermug:

1]; } ?>