March 28, 2024, 05:06:17 PM

Author Topic: Champions League: Olympique Lyonnais vs Barcelona  (Read 10431 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Champions League: Olympique Lyonnais vs Barcelona
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:05 AM »
Barcelona maybe favourites to win the Champions League, but the weekend's defeat by Espanyol has raised many questions as they prepare to visit Olympique Lyonnais.
Feb 23, 2009 1:11:45 PM
Photo Gallery
Zoom
Kick Off: 20:45 CET - Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - Stade Gerland, Lyon

Barcelona have a chance to put their first league defeat since the opening day of the season behind them when they travel to Stade Gerland on Tuesday evening to take on Olympique Lyonnais in the Champions League.

The Blaugrana were surprisingly beaten in the local derby against Espanyol on Saturday, and have had to suffer the sound-bytes and celebrations coming from Madrid and the criticism closer to home.

Pep Guardiola and his players will welcome the opportunity to return to winning ways with an impressive display in France that would prove that the Blanc i Blau reverse was just a blip.

On the flip-side, anything other than a god display will see those hoping to for a Barcelona slip-up shout even louder that the bubble may have burst at Camp Nou as the pressure increases.

If this game had been played a week ago, then all the statistics and records would have meant that very few would have predicted anything other than Lyon having to sit back and try and do what they could to stop their visitors.

Barça have netted over 100 goals in all competitions this term and had only been beaten on the first day of the league season by Numancia before last weekend, and against Shakhtar Donetsk in the last Champions League group game, by which time they had already qualified.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Champions League: Olympique Lyonnais vs Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:47:54 AM »
All yuh did not look so invincible against Esp this weekend... good luck... :beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »
Me eh puttin' too much stock in that loss to Espanyol, there's a number of reasons why Barca could have lost that game. Lyon is not getting past Barcelona in this matchup.  End of discussion. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
Lyon is not getting past Barcelona in this matchup.  End of discussion. 

ditto
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
HA!

Lyon leading 1-0?????
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
who score
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
Juninho scored from a free kick

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »
Lyon out-playing Barca.  :o
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »
Barca is the greatest.... :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
can I hear someone say
Henry
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
valuable away goal by henry. niceness.

great if the result holds.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »
1-1 Final. Advantage Barca

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:47:32 PM »
Lyon out-playing Barca.  :o

we eh see yuh since yuh last posting.....take care ah send out a serch party comprising WestCoast and DieHard to look fuh yuh.  :devil:

Henry show some nice courage to bow before the temple and head dat equalizer.  nice game.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
From quite dey - oh gosh man Valdes!!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »
I doh know if anyone watched the Lyon vs Barca game. But Juninho Pernambucano (Mr. 50%) scored a very audacious freekick. Now when I look at it again Valdes was a little off his line but then I thought, even if he was on the line would he have even been abel to reach it. Valdes has never inspired confidence in the air.

Valdes, in my book, as always been average. No where near the class of Casillas or Buffon, not even in the top 10.

Time for Barca to get a world calss keeper.

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/2670244

Més que un club.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: From quite dey - oh gosh man Valdes!!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »
I real screw when that goal score. At least they still got the away goal.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »
nahh he couldn't save that.....  :o that's like the Ronaldo free kick against Blackburn on Sunday Power and Precision  :beermug: :beermug:
All American

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:24:31 AM »
And don't forget to add heavy feet syndrome by the keepers, although I'll concede that it was a well struck ball.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
Is Juninho yuh have to  :applause:it eh have no keeper he eh string up with a free kick. Dat man sick. For consistency I eh see no one better. Falling leaf in Valdes ass
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
Guardiola say he coulda have seven keepers in the goal, it was still going in. It look like he was at fault but the goal was really good.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
Is Juninho yuh have to  :applause:it eh have no keeper he eh string up with a free kick. Dat man sick. For consistency I eh see no one better. Falling leaf in Valdes ass

Well said, Observer.  I think when Juniho is anywhere within a reasonable range of a goalpost them 'keepers does be on edge.....extra special edge.   He could curl it, blast it, swerve it, or as you so rightly put, he could turn de damned ball into a friggin fallin' leaf.  This was less of a foul up than the one cronaldo score on blackburn because the ball pass right by paul robinson.  He was only beaten for pace and his own poor positioning.  This one by Juninho woulda ketch many, many 'keepers, it isn't the first time I've seen this happen.  Valdes is till an excellent 'keeper in my book. Probably the first major error he's made all season.   

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 11:03:17 AM »

Well said, Observer.  I think when Juniho is anywhere within a reasonable range of a goalpost them 'keepers does be on edge.....extra special edge.   He could curl it, blast it, swerve it, or as you so rightly put, he could turn de damned ball into a friggin fallin' leaf.  This was less of a foul up than the one cronaldo score on blackburn because the ball pass right by paul robinson.  He was only beaten for pace and his own poor positioning.  This one by Juninho woulda ketch many, many 'keepers, it isn't the first time I've seen this happen.  Valdes is till an excellent 'keeper in my book. Probably the first major error he's made all season.   

Yuh say it was less of a foul up than the Cronaldo and that many many keepers woulda get ketch...but then yuh call it a major error...

Make up yuh mind nuh  ;D  Ah feel yuh just sympathetic to VV....

But on the real, I think the balls nowadays are causing nightmares for keepers- the balls are lighter and they knuckle and move in the air alot more...look at how Reina ketch his arse to push Robben shot over the top last night...It was a powerful shot, but it was straight at him....Julio Cesar didn't know if he was going or coming on C.Ronaldo's blast in the 90th minute of the Man U- Inter game...again the shot came straight at him...Beckham swerved on in the near post in a La Liga game recently....Plenty times yuh seeing goalkeepers nowadays punching and palming off shots that come straight at them and when yuh look at the replay iz because the ball takes last second dips and knuckles that the keeper just can't afford to take the risk and try to collect... Guys like Pirlo, C Ronaldo (and even Silvio Spann) have learned to strike the ball in ways that cause it to loop, knuckle and viciously dip without much effort...

Despite all that, Juninho P is a dead ball genius.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »

Yuh say it was less of a foul up than the Cronaldo and that many many keepers woulda get ketch...but then yuh call it a major error...

Make up yuh mind nuh  ;D  Ah feel yuh just sympathetic to VV....

But on the real, I think the balls nowadays are causing nightmares for keepers- the balls are lighter and they knuckle and move in the air alot more...look at how Reina ketch his arse to push Robben shot over the top last night...It was a powerful shot, but it was straight at him....Julio Cesar didn't know if he was going or coming on C.Ronaldo's blast in the 90th minute of the Man U- Inter game...again the shot came straight at him...Beckham swerved on in the near post in a La Liga game recently....Plenty times yuh seeing goalkeepers nowadays punching and palming off shots that come straight at them and when yuh look at the replay iz because the ball takes last second dips and knuckles that the keeper just can't afford to take the risk and try to collect... Guys like Pirlo, C Ronaldo (and even Silvio Spann) have learned to strike the ball in ways that cause it to loop, knuckle and viciously dip without much effort...

Despite all that, Juninho P is a dead ball genius.

Ah call it a dat, Kicker, (ah know yuh tawt yuh ketch meh eh, but,  :shameonyou: lol!) because ah know it go have some unrelenting VV crucifiers that would call it nothing less than that.  The mistake that Valdes made was to be anticipating and aggressive to the ball before reading the trajectory (same thing Seaman did against Brazil) when his technique was supposed to be the exact opposite.  But again, Juninho has proven to have done so many thins with a ball it's easy to understand why a 'keeper would be desperate to do anything to keep him from scoring.  cronaldo, on the other hand, all he does is blast his free kicks with a dipping motion and, knowing that Paul Robison shouldn't have put himself behind his wall with that free kick, that was his first mistake, and he should he have been ssssso far off his line. 

I fully agree with you as far as what both them nike and them new adidas balls does do, but Robinson had a right to put himself in a position to see that ball all the way and if he did see it all the way, he should have done better.   

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
i have watched that freekick about 24 times. Mainly because I studying Juninho. He stringing up keepers years now. Who could forget the Copa lib when he rack up River wid ah winning freekick. Plus Oliver Khan and many others

Back to the FK, Valdes had to cover the near post area, so he was in the front half of the goal (understandable). Then when the ball was struck it went so high (above the cross bar) that he anticipated a cross and stepped unto his left leg. Once he realize that it heading to goal it was too late the ball just drop into the back post side netting. Valdes should ah  :applause: dat

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »
Valdes eh the best keeper, but i cyah fault him on this one... that was ah boss free kick, i eh think even the best keeper in the world (Casillas, not Buffon :devil:) was saving that...

if you look at it good the ball start out looking like a cross before swerving in.. to save that he wouldve had to been anticipating the shot from the time it was kicked and backpedalling.. impossible.

Juninho is tears.. i see him hit some free kick straight to the keeper and leave them flat-footed. I does be cussing the keeper all how but when i see the replay the ball doing all kinda simmy-dimmy in the air...  check out youtube for juninho banana kick.

good point on the balls moving alot more nowadays.. like allyuh eh see de bang julio cruz take in the last minute from the freekick from the fruitcake..

i remember it had a free kick roberto carlos hit years ago against juventus straight at buffon.. Buffon start out going left and last second the ball start to move right and he stick out he arm and save it me eh know how.. anyone remember that one?

As a keeper the worst thing is to see a bullet coming at yuh with no spin.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »
Anybody who say VV cyah keep eh really watch Barca this season. The man is a boss this year. All de talk bout Messi and Eto'o and co., dat big winning streak they had doh exist without Valdes. Even in the games that Brca score 4 and 5, is Victor keep dem in some ah dem games before the rout start, cuz Barca defense does give yuh chances. I feel sorry for the man cuz he real save..not high volume, just crucial, timely saves that everyone does forget about when the game done cuz 4 and 5 goals score. No better match to watch than El Classico..all the dominance Barca had..if Valdez didn't stop Drenthe on that one on one, parry dat wicked dipping half volley from Sneider, or stop Palanca in the 2nd half on another one on one, it would be tears. Cuz de score was 0-0 at the time. The first time he really tootoo down himself this season was against Espanyol on the 2nd goal when he pass the ball the lil Buddha (like he forget he doh play for Barca anymore). VV getting presha for past seasons, cuz this season he looking good.

As for dat Junhinho fk..it was deadly. Watch de height at dat ball at its peak and then how it dip and swerve up in the side netting. To save that you actually had to be a shit keeper with awful positioning to get to your back post dat fast  ;D

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
i  disagree with allyuh on that fk eh. it was great  but i strongly believe casiallas was getting a hand on that atleast.  valdes gave up  when he realise he had misjudged and the ball was floating over his head
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

giggsy11

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »

Robinson dos always geh beat with dem kind of shots. He have a bad habit of reachin with the wrong hand instead of using his highest hand. He might as well not dive or react.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
The keeper may be at fault, but even if he was in the right position, I doubt he might of save that. Jun. is one of the best dead ball specialist around. This is not the first time he has done something like that. he and Essien use to string up quite a few keepers in the French league.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:33 AM »
Anybody who say VV cyah keep eh really watch Barca this season. The man is a boss this year. All de talk bout Messi and Eto'o and co., dat big winning streak they had doh exist without Valdes. Even in the games that Brca score 4 and 5, is Victor keep dem in some ah dem games before the rout start, cuz Barca defense does give yuh chances. I feel sorry for the man cuz he real save..not high volume, just crucial, timely saves that everyone does forget about when the game done cuz 4 and 5 goals score. No better match to watch than El Classico..all the dominance Barca had..if Valdez didn't stop Drenthe on that one on one, parry dat wicked dipping half volley from Sneider, or stop Palanca in the 2nd half on another one on one, it would be tears. Cuz de score was 0-0 at the time. The first time he really tootoo down himself this season was against Espanyol on the 2nd goal when he pass the ball the lil Buddha (like he forget he doh play for Barca anymore). VV getting presha for past seasons, cuz this season he looking good.

As for dat Junhinho fk..it was deadly. Watch de height at dat ball at its peak and then how it dip and swerve up in the side netting. To save that you actually had to be a shit keeper with awful positioning to get to your back post dat fast  ;D

Spoken like a true Victor Valdes apologist (that I am!)  ;D 

Actually, Filho, I was going to post a YouTube compilation in defense of Valdes yesterday, but I didn't bother. You've done just as good a job as the video did, but too many people are unreasonably hard on him IMHO.  I can see great ability and value in him and I like what he brings to the Barca defense.  Besides, if Frank Rijkaard and Pep Guardiola think he's the best for Barca, who am I to argue?   

1]; } ?>