March 28, 2024, 02:02:05 PM

Author Topic: Champions League: Olympique Lyonnais vs Barcelona  (Read 10430 times)

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: From quite dey - oh gosh man Valdes!!
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 08:20:55 AM »
Is Juninho yuh have to  :applause:it eh have no keeper he eh string up with a free kick. Dat man sick. For consistency I eh see no one better. Falling leaf in Valdes ass

Well said, Observer.  I think when Juniho is anywhere within a reasonable range of a goalpost them 'keepers does be on edge.....extra special edge.   He could curl it, blast it, swerve it, or as you so rightly put, he could turn de damned ball into a friggin fallin' leaf.  This was less of a foul up than the one cronaldo score on blackburn because the ball pass right by paul robinson.  He was only beaten for pace and his own poor positioning.  This one by Juninho woulda ketch many, many 'keepers, it isn't the first time I've seen this happen.  Valdes is till an excellent 'keeper in my book. Probably the first major error he's made all season.   

I not saying he's a bad keeper, but I saw a major error from last weekend. Turned out to be the winning goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6LJYUaQa9M

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Champions League: Olympique Lyonnais vs Barcelona
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:32 AM »
Anybody who say VV cyah keep eh really watch Barca this season. The man is a boss this year. All de talk bout Messi and Eto'o and co., dat big winning streak they had doh exist without Valdes. Even in the games that Brca score 4 and 5, is Victor keep dem in some ah dem games before the rout start, cuz Barca defense does give yuh chances. I feel sorry for the man cuz he real save..not high volume, just crucial, timely saves that everyone does forget about when the game done cuz 4 and 5 goals score. No better match to watch than El Classico..all the dominance Barca had..if Valdez didn't stop Drenthe on that one on one, parry dat wicked dipping half volley from Sneider, or stop Palanca in the 2nd half on another one on one, it would be tears. Cuz de score was 0-0 at the time. The first time he really tootoo down himself this season was against Espanyol on the 2nd goal when he pass the ball the lil Buddha (like he forget he doh play for Barca anymore). VV getting presha for past seasons, cuz this season he looking good.

As for dat Junhinho fk..it was deadly. Watch de height at dat ball at its peak and then how it dip and swerve up in the side netting. To save that you actually had to be a shit keeper with awful positioning to get to your back post dat fast  ;D

Spoken like a true Victor Valdes apologist (that I am!)  ;D 

Actually, Filho, I was going to post a YouTube compilation in defense of Valdes yesterday, but I didn't bother. You've done just as good a job as the video did, but too many people are unreasonably hard on him IMHO.  I can see great ability and value in him and I like what he brings to the Barca defense.  Besides, if Frank Rijkaard and Pep Guardiola think he's the best for Barca, who am I to argue?   

Valdes is suffering from the "all things are relative syndrome" (yeah I just made that up  ;D), but it's like the Brazilian goalkeepers of a past era who, even if they were competent would be looked at as weak links because the rest of the team was so talented.  Barca is a team riddled with unbelievable talent all over the field, that plays like a solid & disciplined, and also very slick unit...so any mistakes made by the goalkeeper will stand out ever so much more.  The opposite could be said of Casillas when Madrid struggles..... because the defence has been so leaky in recent seasons, every big save that he's been called upon to make made him appear like a superhuman hero.

Valdes is a more than competent goal keeper who is actually having a good season.  A big team like Barca would not persist with a goalkeeper who was less than the requisite quality.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Anybody who say VV cyah keep eh really watch Barca this season. The man is a boss this year. All de talk bout Messi and Eto'o and co., dat big winning streak they had doh exist without Valdes. Even in the games that Brca score 4 and 5, is Victor keep dem in some ah dem games before the rout start, cuz Barca defense does give yuh chances. I feel sorry for the man cuz he real save..not high volume, just crucial, timely saves that everyone does forget about when the game done cuz 4 and 5 goals score. No better match to watch than El Classico..all the dominance Barca had..if Valdez didn't stop Drenthe on that one on one, parry dat wicked dipping half volley from Sneider, or stop Palanca in the 2nd half on another one on one, it would be tears. Cuz de score was 0-0 at the time. The first time he really tootoo down himself this season was against Espanyol on the 2nd goal when he pass the ball the lil Buddha (like he forget he doh play for Barca anymore). VV getting presha for past seasons, cuz this season he looking good.

As for dat Junhinho fk..it was deadly. Watch de height at dat ball at its peak and then how it dip and swerve up in the side netting. To save that you actually had to be a shit keeper with awful positioning to get to your back post dat fast  ;D

Actually, Filho, I was going to post a YouTube compilation in defense of Valdes yesterday, but I didn't bother. You've done just as good a job as the video did, but too many people are unreasonably hard on him IMHO.  I can see great ability and value in him and I like what he brings to the Barca defense.  Besides, if Frank Rijkaard and Pep Guardiola think he's the best for Barca, who am I to argue?   

Valdes is suffering from the "all things are relative syndrome" (yeah I just made that up  ;D), but it's like the Brazilian goalkeepers of a past era who, even if they were competent would be looked at as weak links because the rest of the team was so talented.  Barca is a team riddled with unbelievable talent all over the field, that plays like a solid & disciplined, and also very slick unit...so any mistakes made by the goalkeeper will stand out ever so much more.  The opposite could be said of Casillas when Madrid struggles..... because the defence has been so leaky in recent seasons, every big save that he's been called upon to make made him appear like a superhuman hero.

Valdes is a more than competent goal keeper who is actually having a good season.  A big team like Barca would not persist with a goalkeeper who was less than the requisite quality.

In my opinion, that is what Valdes is... "the requisite quality"

he is a very good goalkeeper and is having an excellent season, but I would not put him in my top 10 keepers in football. Every season he bound to give yuh a few howlers, like that pass to De La Pena.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »
Is Juninho yuh have to  :applause:it eh have no keeper he eh string up with a free kick. Dat man sick. For consistency I eh see no one better. Falling leaf in Valdes ass

Well said, Observer.  I think when Juniho is anywhere within a reasonable range of a goalpost them 'keepers does be on edge.....extra special edge.   He could curl it, blast it, swerve it, or as you so rightly put, he could turn de damned ball into a friggin fallin' leaf.  This was less of a foul up than the one cronaldo score on blackburn because the ball pass right by paul robinson.  He was only beaten for pace and his own poor positioning.  This one by Juninho woulda ketch many, many 'keepers, it isn't the first time I've seen this happen.  Valdes is till an excellent 'keeper in my book. Probably the first major error he's made all season.   

I not saying he's a bad keeper, but I saw a major error from last weekend. Turned out to be the winning goal.

Arright, so two......if yuh really want to call Juninho's free-kick "Valdes' mistake." I was not aware of the fact that he had made an error in the Barcelona Derby because, up to yesterday as I had not seen or heard from the game.  I only got the results.  In fact, I have hardly been able to watch any football this season and have been restricted mostly to highlights.  That being said, it is still why I used to word "probably."   Fact is, though, that you can close your eyes and pick any name out of a hat, of all of the greatest goalkeepers that ever played, and you will find that they have all given up many a game-winning goal to the opposition from their own mistakes.  From Banks to Zoff to Grobelaar to Barthez to James to Reina.  That's part of life of a goalkeeper. Your job (as inevitable as mistakes are to happen) is to minimize your own mistakes, (and accept the blame when you make them) cover for your defenders' mistakes, (and take the blame when they make them, too........it seems) but what you get alot of for that, is a lot of people that have never tried playing the position, judging a 'keeper for what he should and shouldn't do.  Just looking at Victor Valdes' mistakes and not judge him for his overall scope of work is to deny him his value to this Barca team.  I will gladly take the two or three mistakes he may have made this season or the quite a few he's made over his career so far for all the great games he has had.  Yuh could use that same YouTube to witness how many times he has pulled off some magnificent saves to help Barca win Trophies and Titles.  ;)  

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »

In my opinion, that is what Valdes is... "the requisite quality"

he is a very good goalkeeper and is having an excellent season, but I would not put him in my top 10 keepers in football. Every season he bound to give yuh a few howlers, like that pass to De La Pena.

Bruce Grobelaar was always guaranteed money to give up a few howlers every season.  Still one of Liverpools best GK's in our lifetime, at least if not one of their best ever.  David James....well his mistakes are well known and well documented (maybe is de water in Liverpool)......still one of the best in England.  As far as that whole "top Ten" thing is concerned, If Valdes, for all of his howlers, were that much of a liability to the team (especially with all the criticism he gets in Spain) Barcelona have had more than enough time to acquire another world class GK to replace him and they haven't.  they haven't even done as much as to bring in another starter from another team as backup, like Liverpool did with Charles Itandje.  What does that tell you? 

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 10:21:35 AM »

Funny thing is the great casillas made the exact same error on the exact same matchday....just wasn't punished for it. He Passed the ball right to Oliveira and the Brazilian hit the post....thaht could have made it 3-2. So it goes. Keepers make mistakes too  :beermug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4KDF-3hvZM

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:18:11 PM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

Bruce Grobelaar was always guaranteed money to give up a few howlers every season.  Still one of Liverpools best GK's in our lifetime, at least if not one of their best ever.  David James....well his mistakes are well known and well documented (maybe is de water in Liverpool)......still one of the best in England.  As far as that whole "top Ten" thing is concerned, If Valdes, for all of his howlers, were that much of a liability to the team (especially with all the criticism he gets in Spain) Barcelona have had more than enough time to acquire another world class GK to replace him and they haven't.  they haven't even done as much as to bring in another starter from another team as backup, like Liverpool did with Charles Itandje.  What does that tell you? 

But you're making my point.

Imo its a hard stretch to rate Bruce Grobelaar as one of the world's best goalkeepers while he was at his prime. Maybe one of the best at Liverpool but thats hardly a barometer on the world stage. During his pomp, I can name at least 3 Italian goalkeepers that were better than him.

David James is another one. Good goalkeeper, but too prone to errors to even be considered at the level we talking about here.

Don't get me wrong eh.. I never said Valdes is a liability. Barca don't need to look for another goalkeeper because he's doing an excellent job. I dont see how your point about bringing in a starting goalkeeper to replace him like Itandje relates. I never said he should be replaced.

But the most important criteria for judging a goalkeeper should be his consistency, and being prone to errors to me takes these keepers out of the reckoning when we talking about the goalkeepers at the very top of the game.

When you look at Buffon, Van Der Sar and Casillas you would be hard pressed to see them make errors beyond the occasional flap.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
.... and of course i now seeing Filho post above. steups

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »

But you're making my point.

Imo its a hard stretch to rate Bruce Grobelaar as one of the world's best goalkeepers while he was at his prime. Maybe one of the best at Liverpool but thats hardly a barometer on the world stage. During his pomp, I can name at least 3 Italian goalkeepers that were better than him.

David James is another one. Good goalkeeper, but too prone to errors to even be considered at the level we talking about here.

Don't get me wrong eh.. I never said Valdes is a liability. Barca don't need to look for another goalkeeper because he's doing an excellent job. I dont see how your point about bringing in a starting goalkeeper to replace him like Itandje relates. I never said he should be replaced.

But the most important criteria for judging a goalkeeper should be his consistency, and being prone to errors to me takes these keepers out of the reckoning when we talking about the goalkeepers at the very top of the game.

When you look at Buffon, Van Der Sar and Casillas you would be hard pressed to see them make errors beyond the occasional flap.

The point I made about Charles Itandje was to address the opinion by some that feel he needs to be replaced.   Since the end of last season men was calling for his replacement but I disagreed with that. 

But as far as "the level we talking about here" there can only be a handful of maybe four or less that you can truly say don't make more than their fair share of mistakes.  Van der Saar don't make mistakes?  Casillas?  Nah man.  They do.  Petr Cech been making more mistakes over the past two years (or as most feel, since "the headache") than he has his entire career, but that hasn't stopped most people from still considering him to be one of the top three in the world.  You think Oliver Khan didn't used to make mistakes?  What about Barthez during his time?   Out of them three names you call there, Buffon is about the only one that you would be very hard pressed to say you've seen him make more than a few mistakes.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »

But as far as "the level we talking about here" there can only be a handful of maybe four or less that you can truly say don't make more than their fair share of mistakes.  Van der Saar don't make mistakes?  Casillas?  Nah man.  They do.  Petr Cech been making more mistakes over the past two years (or as most feel, since "the headache") than he has his entire career, but that hasn't stopped most people from still considering him to be one of the top three in the world.  You think Oliver Khan didn't used to make mistakes?  What about Barthez during his time?   Out of them three names you call there, Buffon is about the only one that you would be very hard pressed to say you've seen him make more than a few mistakes.

Casillas is prone to a mental lapse every so often- but he makes up for it with near impossible saves... Same could be said for Khan in his day.  Barthez was extra gifted with his feet.  I think Cech lost confidence with his accident (understandably so- he's lucky to be alive right now).  In the end every goal keeper has his strengths & weaknesses...

Remember Michel Preud'homme?  I going off some real selective memory here eh, but somehow he will always be etched in my mind as the best goalkeeper on the planet...ever.  What an athlete in between the sticks...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
.... and of course i now seeing Filho post above. steups

haha. in any case..I not saying Valdez is in Casillas class, but people being harsh on him this season. His first major foul up in La Liga imo was against Espanyol and I think showing that even Casillas made the exact same error the exact same day, kinda helps his defense since I consider Casillas one of the best if not the best keeper in Europe right now.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Kicker, the first line of what you just say and what Filho followed up with is exactly what I feel.  Valdes, too, along with his well publicised errors, has made some near impossible saves throughout his career for Barca, i'ts just that everybody seems to expect him to be a Buffon or a Casillas, and is overly critical of him when he is proven to be not.  But you do catch my drift: all 'keepers make major gaffes form time to time, whether you are the very, very best....or you're somebody playin in a rec league in Rocfas. 

p.s.  One of these good days I might up a photo of my boss Michel Preud'homme poster fuh yuh.  I'm sure you will like it!!  :beermug: 

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »
Filho I not just talking about this season. Throughout his Barca career he has been plagued with bad decisions and howlers. He inspires no confidence on high cross balls and I suspect that alot of his phu* ups have been disguised by Barca outscoring the opposition.

Més que un club.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »
Filho I not just talking about this season. Throughout his Barca career he has been plagued with bad decisions and howlers. He inspires no confidence on high cross balls and I suspect that alot of his phu* ups have been disguised by Barca outscoring the opposition.

Yeah..I know you talking about more than this season. Even so, I doh really remember it like you. I actually remember him being heralded as one of the best young keepers in Spain  and a shoe in for the national team in the near future after his first couple of seasons under Rijkaard. This year, he's looking a lot better than last year and the year prior when he really developed a reputation for the occasional high-profile clanger.  His f**kups this season eh disguised at all...dat is for keepers with big reps. If anything..keepers like Valdes get over-criticised for everything that doh look clean. I watch Valdez good this season and like most keepers, he has his weaknesses, but all in all I think the man is a very good keep and performing at a high level this season.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »

Yeah..I know you talking about more than this season. Even so, I doh really remember it like you. I actually remember him being heralded as one of the best young keepers in Spain  and a shoe in for the national team in the near future after his first couple of seasons under Rijkaard. This year, he's looking a lot better than last year and the year prior when he really developed a reputation for the occasional high-profile clanger.  His f**kups this season eh disguised at all...dat is for keepers with big reps. If anything..keepers like Valdes get over-criticised for everything that doh look clean. I watch Valdez good this season and like most keepers, he has his weaknesses, but all in all I think the man is a very good keep and performing at a high level this season.

I hate Barcelona and I and all does feel sorry for them that ah World Class side like that have ah man like Victor Valdes in the post...

rank shithound!.... Alright alright he ent so bad, he really ent dat bad... but which elite club have a worse keeper than he??
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

I hate Barcelona and I and all does feel sorry for them that ah World Class side like that have ah man like Victor Valdes in the post...

rank shithound!.... Alright alright he ent so bad, he really ent dat bad... but which elite club have a worse keeper than he??

only ones that come to my mind are..

Abbiati at AC Milan

Almunia at Arsenal although it is a real stretch to call them elite.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »

Nothing wrong with being the worst of the best nah :devil: In any case,
Michael Rensing - Bayern Munich
Almunia - Arsenal
Abbiati - Milan
Doni - Roma (not sure if they elite, but if I calling Arsenal, might as well)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:49:04 PM by Filho »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »
I just wondering.....the fellas that find Valdes is so, so, so bad.....if y'all are right in y'all assessment of the man, how come a big club like Barcelona haven't even brought in (a) a young understudy like a Kenneth Vermeer or an Oscar Ustari or Renan to start phasing him out or (b) a world class seasoned veteran like maybe a Shay Given, Jens Lehman, etc., to replace him or at least push him for his place?    ???

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
I am a Barca fan. Valdes is a shithound. He makes too many mistakes for a keeper at top club like Barcelona. Talk done.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
I am a Barca fan. Valdes is a shithound. He makes too many mistakes for a keeper at top club like Barcelona. Talk done.

I was hoping for a more well-thought out and more specific answer than that, but, let me guess, the powers-that-be at a top club like Barcelona (the board, the coaching staff, including the goalkeeping coaches) really either don't know as much about goalkeepers as his critics like yourself......or they see it fit to bring him up through the youth ranks (just as the Spanish FA saw it fit to select him on their U-19 and U-21) and have him starting the senior team since 2002 because what, they feeling sorry for him?.....or he have some kinda Mafia hold over the club?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

I was hoping for a more well-thought out and more specific answer than that, but, let me guess, the powers-that-be at a top club like Barcelona (the board, the coaching staff, including the goalkeeping coaches) really either don't know as much about goalkeepers as his critics like yourself......or they see it fit to bring him up through the youth ranks (just as the Spanish FA saw it fit to select him on their U-19 and U-21) and have him starting the senior team since 2002 because what, they feeling sorry for him?.....or he have some kinda Mafia hold over the club?
My opinion is based solely on Valdes' performances on the pitch. As far as I see Valdes makes too many mistakes and he isn't improving on certain areas. I remember when Casillas used to have trouble on collecting cross balls. Teams used to exploit this weakness and RM and Casillas worked hard to correct that problem over time. Valdes consistently shows technical and mental lapses. Including conceding several goals at the near post, indecision on corners and poor positioning on set pieces. Valdes is not a 'youngster' any more. The guy is 27 , he has to do better. Last week's performance against Espanyol was admittedly a blip. He generally has good distribution that mistake was unfortunate, but a mistake nonetheless. 

We have had a problem with goalkeepers for a while now. Between he, Rustu, Bonano and this clown they buy from Celta he is the best. But watch the names I just highlighted.

He hasn't been able to take his promise in  youth to the next level. When last was he even called to a Spanish squad ? In fact checking his record on Wikipedia he has no caps at senior level. I am not comfortable with him at the back.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

My opinion is based solely on Valdes' performances on the pitch. As far as I see Valdes makes too many mistakes and he isn't improving on certain areas. I remember when Casillas used to have trouble on collecting cross balls. Teams used to exploit this weakness and RM and Casillas worked hard to correct that problem over time. Valdes consistently shows technical and mental lapses. Including conceding several goals at the near post, indecision on corners and poor positioning on set pieces. Valdes is not a 'youngster' any more. The guy is 27 , he has to do better. Last week's performance against Espanyol was admittedly a blip. He generally has good distribution that mistake was unfortunate, but a mistake nonetheless. 

We have had a problem with goalkeepers for a while now. Between he, Rustu, Bonano and this clown they buy from Celta he is the best. But watch the names I just highlighted.

He hasn't been able to take his promise in  youth to the next level. When last was he even called to a Spanish squad ? In fact checking his record on Wikipedia he has no caps at senior level. I am not comfortable with him at the back.

Well.....you at least fulfilled half my request.......you gave your answer some substance, but I still can't agree with you, it just doesn't make sense that you are right.  Barcelona is one of the biggest clubs in the world.  They can practically approach any goalkeeper under contract (if they chose to do business that way) and can almost guarantee signing him.  Why would they keep a man anchoring their defence that has all the flaws that you pointed out?  Why would they keep him as their starting GK for 6 years if he's that bad?  He has never improved after representing Spain at the not-so-youth level (U19 and U-21 as opposed to U-15 and U-17).  His technical ability is practically nonexistent.  His positioning on set pieces and indecision on handling corners is terrible......and yet, the Spanish FA saw it fit to give him a call up for the Euros even if he didn't make the final cut.  Go figure.  ???  Also, since yuh make meh "Wikipedia" him I see where he was awarded "Best Goalkeeper in Spain" in the '04-'05 season and 3rd place the following year.  I didn't even know about dat, but he's on course to be considered in the top three again this season.  Not bad for a shithong, eh? ;)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »

Well.....you at least fulfilled half my request.......you gave your answer some substance, but I still can't agree with you, it just doesn't make sense that you are right.  Barcelona is one of the biggest clubs in the world.  They can practically approach any goalkeeper under contract (if they chose to do business that way) and can almost guarantee signing him.  Why would they keep a man anchoring their defence that has all the flaws that you pointed out?  Why would they keep him as their starting GK for 6 years if he's that bad?  He has never improved after representing Spain at the not-so-youth level (U19 and U-21 as opposed to U-15 and U-17).  His technical ability is practically nonexistent.  His positioning on set pieces and indecision on handling corners is terrible......and yet, the Spanish FA saw it fit to give him a call up for the Euros even if he didn't make the final cut.  Go figure.  ???  Also, since yuh make meh "Wikipedia" him I see where he was awarded "Best Goalkeeper in Spain" in the '04-'05 season and 3rd place the following year.  I didn't even know about dat, but he's on course to be considered in the top three again this season.  Not bad for a shithong, eh? ;)
Firstly, youth level is youth level. The man has 0 senior international caps. I know he has been called into squads in the past but in all that time Valdes never played a second of international football for Spain. There's no sin in that but it's a statement of fact. Furthermore I never denied that the man didn't exhibit great talent at youth level. My contention is Valdes' mistakes are consistently reminiscent of that young goalkeeper we saw years ago.

The weaknesses I pointed out were based on my observation. Despite Valdes' excellent shot stopping ability which I believe is his greatest strength , he has exhibited these weaknesses on numerous occasions.

Regarding the fact that Barca hasn't bought another keeper is not for a lack of trying. It's worth noting that Barca showed interest in Cech and Buffon only to have the request denied by the players' respective clubs.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2009, 11:40:47 PM »

Firstly, youth level is youth level. The man has 0 senior international caps. I know he has been called into squads in the past but in all that time Valdes never played a second of international football for Spain. There's no sin in that but it's a statement of fact. Furthermore I never denied that the man didn't exhibit great talent at youth level. My contention is Valdes' mistakes are consistently reminiscent of that young goalkeeper we saw years ago.

The weaknesses I pointed out were based on my observation. Despite Valdes' excellent shot stopping ability which I believe is his greatest strength , he has exhibited these weaknesses on numerous occasions.

Regarding the fact that Barca hasn't bought another keeper is not for a lack of trying. It's worth noting that Barca showed interest in Cech and Buffon only to have the request denied by the players' respective clubs.

Firstly, youth level is not just youth level.  You have to be considered the best at your age level to be considered to play for your country, not so?  Otherwise, yuh  still missin' the point, jed.  Everybody and dey mudder "showed interest" in Cech and Buffon.  that says nothing of Barca wanting so desperately to replace Valdes because (as you say) he is such a bad 'keeper......or a "shithound..."  As a matter of fact, the time that Barca was showing interest in Buffon was in 2001.  The year BEFORE Valdes was called up to Barca's senior team.  But let's forget about Cech, Buffon and Casillas.  I want you to rationalize to me why it is that Barca have not tried to sign other goalkeepers that are not necessarily in their league, maybe just one level below them, or maybe a younger one with just as much talent, like an Igor Akinfeev or an Oscar Ustari, to replace a goalkeeper that you say is so bad and has so many weaknesses?   Showing interest in GK's that you know the other team won't sell does not sound too much like a team trying to replace their own, boss.

http://goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/02/27/1130747/i-could-have-joined-barcelona-or-roma-juventus-goalkeeper-buffon 

Research shows that Juventus is the one willing to unload Buffon, such is their desire to sign Messi.  Not the other way around 

I agree, he has no caps for Spain, but what 'keeper in Spain, over the past 9 years, was going to get a Start in front of Casillas and Canizares and now Casillas and Reina?  But he has been called up, even if he don't make the final three, so the Spanish coaches obviously think he's good enough to compete  for a place in the national team.  Don't sound like no "shithound" to me.  I am willing to bet he might even get a call up from Del Bosque if he keep up his current form.  Peace. 

1]; } ?>