April 24, 2024, 03:29:58 PM

Author Topic: Top 10 football superstitions  (Read 2019 times)

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
Top 10 football superstitions
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
NUMBER 6  :o :o :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/4805924/Top-10-Football-superstitions-to-rival-Arsenals-Kolo-Toure.html

From the commonplace tendency of players to touch the ground and cross their heart as they come onto the pitch (Thierry Henry), to the coach who takes players' star signs into consideration before selecting his team (Raymond Domenech); from the player who prepares for matches by reading Dostoevsky on the loo (Gennaro Gattuso), to those players that harbour the frankly ridiculous belief that no harm can come to them because they wear their underwear inside out (Adrian Mutu) – football is full of them.

1. David James
In James' own words, "many footballers have an obsessive routine that goes way beyond normal." That just about sums up James' own superstitious regimen (or "mental machinery so complex it could fill a page," as he once described it) which began on the Friday night before a game and continued right through to the full-time whistle the following day.

As well as not speaking to anyone, it would involve going to the urinals, waiting until they were empty and then spitting on the wall.

2. Johan Cruyff
The Dutch legend used to slap his goalkeeper Gert Bals in the stomach while he was at Ajax, and then spit his chewing gum into the opposition's half before kick-off. When Cruyff once forgot his gum, in the European Cup final of 1969, Ajax lost to Milan 4-1.

Looking back, Cruyff advised managers to ensure that their players are not influenced by superstition. "If it does influence them," he cautioned, "you can't play them in the next match."

3. France in the 1998 World Cup
Fabien Barthez's body was treated as a primitive icon, touched for good luck. The French rituals at the World Cup included always occupying the same seats on the team bus, listening to Gloria Gaynor's 1970s hit "I Will Survive" in the changing-room, and the rounded off by defender Laurent Blanc kissing keeper Fabien Barthez's head before kick-off. France won the World Cup.

4. Pelé
The Brazil legend once dispatched a friend to track down a fan to whom Pele had given one of his playing shirts with orders to retrieve it at all costs, after suffering a dip in form. A week later the friend handed Pelé his shirt back, and the striker's form immediately returned.

His friend decided not to tell him that the search had been futile and he had simply given him back the same shirt he had worn in the previous match.

5. Bobby Moore
England's captain of the 1960s and 1970s insisted on being the last person into the changing-room to put on his shorts before kick-off. In 1981 Desmond Morris wrote: "Moore's team-mate Martin Peters was fascinated by the way he stood around holding the shorts, waiting for everyone else to finish dressing."

Peters would wait until Moore had put on his shorts, before taking off his own. Moore would respond by taking off his shorts, and waiting until Peters had put his back on.

6. Midlands Portland Cement
While most are amusing, sometimes the superstitions can get out of hand. Last October, the coach of the Zimbabwean side Midlands Portland Cement sent his squad of 17 players into the crocodile-crowded Zambezi river in a ritual cleansing ceremony, intended to restore their harmony ahead of their next game.

Sadly, only sixteen of his players emerged minutes later. Unsurprisingly, considering the omens, they lost their next match.

7. Urinating
So many players' superstitions revolve around passing water that it deserves a section of its own. Mario Gómez, the German striker, always uses the urinal situated furthest to the left in the washroom. John Terry, meanwhile, prefers to always use the same urinal in the dressing room toilets at Stamford Bridge, and if the spot is taken he will wait until he can use it, even if there are others free.

Sergio Goycochea, the former Argentina goalkeeper. had a legendary routine for facing penalties – and until the final of Italia '90, it was a remarkably successful one – which involved him urinating on the pitch.

8. Gary Neville
The Manchester United defender has so many superstitions that he has had to try and banish some of them as they were becoming inhibiting. As well as not changing his boots if he is on a winning run, Neville will wear the same aftershave if the results are going his way.

"I've got lots of superstitions," Neville once said. "I try to cut them down as I have too many. I wear the same belts, same shoes, same aftershave – I've worn the same aftershave all season."

9. Gary Lineker
The former England striker never took a shot at goal during his match warm ups because he didn't want to waste a goal. Then, if he wouldn't manage to score in the first half he would change his shirt. If the bad run extended, and he was failing to score, he would resort to getting a haircut.

10. David Beckham
Image has always been fundamental for Beckham, so it should come as no surprise that he has an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which manifests itself in making sure that certain items are arranged just so.

Many might uncharitably suggest that his hair is the most obvious, but in fact his biggest obsession is ensuring that all of the items in his fridge are arranged just so. And if he has just three cans of Pepsi, he will throw one away so that there is an even number.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Top 10 football superstitions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:41 AM »
Number 6 is my favourite!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
no mention of de pre-game jock?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:49:30 AM »
4. Pelé
The Brazil legend once dispatched a friend to track down a fan to whom Pele had given one of his playing shirts with orders to retrieve it at all costs, after suffering a dip in form. A week later the friend handed Pelé his shirt back, and the striker's form immediately returned.

His friend decided not to tell him that the search had been futile and he had simply given him back the same shirt he had worn in the previous match.

Ah like this one  :rotfl:

His friend sound like he's a Trini...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:33:18 AM »

dat go make yuh weak

Més que un club.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
Do like Latapy

Take a shit before the game...so yuh doh put it down on the field.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
They left out the biggest superstition..and that is the favorite shirt number.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
pre game jock ??...lol..hahahahaha
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »
Do like Latapy

Take a shit before the game...so yuh doh put it down on the field.

Well Stern suffering from ah pre-game constipation and ah during game diarrhea!!

Més que un club.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
why becks jus doh drink the 3rd pepsi
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »
:rotfl: daiz Capo ritual
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
:rotfl: daiz Capo ritual
i eh need football fuh that. :D
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Superstition is the way
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 06:11:30 AM »
Superstition is the way
FIFA.com

Like any activity where good fortune comes into play, football is certainly not free from superstitions. The list of those in the game prone to strange beliefs is a long one, so FIFA.com brings you just a selection of the most bizarre rituals - focusing this week on players from around the world.

We start with Chelsea and England captain John Terry who, underneath his fiercely competitive exterior, hides a veritable mass of strange customs. "I'm extremely superstitious," said the player himself. "I always sit in the same seat on the team bus, I always wrap tape round my socks three times, I listen to the same CD on the way to the stadium and I always park in the same spot before every game at Stamford Bridge."

As if that were not enough to keep the Blues stalwart busy before a match, Terry also admits to having a lucky pair of shinpads, having lost his previous pair during a UEFA Champions League clash at Barcelona's Camp Nou in 2005. "I'd been using those shinpads for so long that I thought ‘that's it, it's all over'. But Lamps (Frank Lampard) gave me some of his and fortunately we won [our next game, the Carling Cup final against Liverpool] and I've used them ever since. Now they're my lucky charm."

Following in the same vein is another of the modern game's great competitors, Gennaro Gattuso of Italy and AC Milan. Indeed, the player later admitted that his rituals during the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ took on extreme proportions, though that particular story certainly ended well for the Azzurri. "Every day I wore the same sweater than I'd worn the first day [of the competition]. I was sweating buckets and in a terrible mood because I couldn't bring myself to take it off," he told FIFA.com.

"I was obsessed by superstitions. For example, before the Czech Republic match (in the group phase) I packed all my bags ready to go home," added Gattuso, who subsequently found himself doing the same thing before each and every match. Even more curiously, perhaps, was the tough-tackling midfield man's custom of reading a few pages of the works of Russian writer Fyodor Dostoevsky prior to each game.

One ritual practised by footballers the world over is wearing the same underwear for matches, such is the case with Romania's Adrian Mutu or former Colombia shot-stopper Rene Higuita, whose undergarments always have to be blue. "In the last 1980s, Atletico Nacional just couldn't beat (Colombian rivals) Millonarios," Higuita told FIFA.com. "So around that time (former Colombia international defender) Carlos Perea arrived and together we went to see a fortune-teller. She told us that we had been cursed and sent us a belt and blue underpants for all the players. It worked like a dream: we won everything and even claimed the Copa Libertadores. Since then I've always worn them."

Staying in South America and we have former Chile front-man, Ivan Zamorano, who picked up the habit of wearing a white bandage on his right wrist. The ritual stemmed from a minor strain suffered during his time at Swiss club Saint Gallen, with the freshly bandaged hitman grabbing a hat-trick in his next game. The dressing stayed and the goals continued to flow for a man who went on to play for European giants Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

Argentinian midfield maestro Juan Sebastian Veron, another who has graced several of the biggest clubs on the Old Continent, tells a similar tale of the strapping just below his right knee. "It all started after an injury I suffered in 1997 and then I kept it on out of superstition," the former Boca Juniors, Manchester United and Inter Milan schemer, now back at first club Estudiantes La Plata, told FIFA.com. "And I don't think I'll ever stop doing it, because things haven't exactly gone badly for me!"

At France 1998, meanwhile, we have the example of host nation skipper Laurent Blanc, who kissed the bald head of keeper Fabien Barthez before each game of Les Bleus' triumphant campaign. Another lesser-known fact about that French success was their habit of playing Gloria Gaynor's hit "I Will Survive", coincidentally the most popular karaoke choice by women the world over, prior to taking the field. Also musically inclined were Colo Colo's Copa Libertadores-winning squad of 1991, who warmed up to Banda Blanca hit "Sopa de Caracol" (Snail Soup) before each encounter.

England front-man Gary Lineker, the Three Lions' second-highest scorer of all time, steadfastly refused to shoot at goal during warm-ups, preferring instead to save his goals for the match itself. Moreover, if he had failed to score in the first half, he would put on a fresh jersey at the interval, while lengthy goal droughts were solved by a visit to the hairdressers.

Former England internationals Bobby Moore and Paul Ince, for their part, both insisted on being the last players to leave the dressing room - placing their faith in a good performance in kitting up alone and only putting on their shirts as they ran onto the field. Arsenal's Kolo Toure, meanwhile, earned himself a yellow card in a Champions League tie against Roma after stubbornly refusing to leave the dressing room before fellow straggler William Gallas, who was receiving treatment for an injury.

Nor will you find Germany's Mario Gomez singing the national anthem before matches, and it is not because he does not know the words. This particular ritual has its roots in a Germany U-15 encounter, during which Gomez found the net after abstaining from the anthem. Those who witnessed his displays at UEFA EURO 2008 may question the effectiveness of this routine, though it is not Gomez's only quirk. Indeed, the Stuttgart striker will only use the far-left urinal to relieve himself before matches.

Staying on this rather dubious topic, special mention must go to Argentina keeper Sergio Goycochea, who earned worldwide fame for his penalty-saving heroics at Italy 1990. He puts his spot-kick prowess down to urinating in the centre circle, blocked from view by his Albiceleste team-mates, prior to shootout victories over the former Yugoslavia and Italy in the last eight and last four respectively.

Goycochea later repeated the ritual prior to quarter- and semi-final shootout triumphs at the 1993 Copa America, against Brazil and Colombia respectively this time, with Argentina going on to win the continental competition - their last major trophy success.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Superstition is the way
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
Superstition is the way
FIFA.com

One ritual practised by footballers the world over is wearing the same underwear for matches, such is the case with Romania's Adrian Mutu or former Colombia shot-stopper Rene Higuita, whose undergarments always have to be blue. "In the last 1980s, Atletico Nacional just couldn't beat (Colombian rivals) Millonarios," Higuita told FIFA.com. "So around that time (former Colombia international defender) Carlos Perea arrived and together we went to see a fortune-teller. She told us that we had been cursed and sent us a belt and blue underpants for all the players. It worked like a dream: we won everything and even claimed the Copa Libertadores. Since then I've always worn them."

Look Pacho secret right dey... dat was he side Higuita talking bout... ah now see why he never bother with no kinda tactics/planning/foresight etc (corbeaux brand nah)

Them fellas musbe ent understand him when he say walk with allyuh blue drawers on game day
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>