April 19, 2024, 04:04:06 PM

Author Topic: Have Asians embraced the beautiful game?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Have Asians embraced the beautiful game?
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:58:25 AM »
Source :- BBC. Co. UK

Have Asians embraced the beautiful game?

Malta Singh and his family at Sunderland's Stadium of Light

By Sukhi Hayer
BBC Asian Network

The Premier League has compiled research that has concluded that more Asians are attending top-flight matches than ever before and most follow the 'big four' - Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

But to find the story behind the statistics I have been travelling up and down England for the past few months to speak to season ticket holders, club officials, fans' groups and the Premier League itself to find out how many British Asians are attending games.

Cathy Long, who is the head of supporter relations at the Premier League, says football clubs must realise that the local community has changed around them and they need to reflect these changes.

"The clubs may be sitting there and saying we're not doing anything different but if the local community around you has changed then you do need to do something different to attract more British Asians to football grounds," she stated.

It's quite difficult to get the local community involved, purely because of what it was like in the 1970s and 80s with hooliganism

Villa marketing executive Ravinder Masih

In the past, football fans have tended to be white, working-class men but that has slowly been changing over the past decade.

It has become a more family friendly environment, there are family stands where drinking is banned, billionaire owners have invested and improved facilities at grounds and hospitality at football matches is bringing in the rich and famous.

This is what has been happening at football grounds in the Premier League, none more so than at Aston Villa.

Villa marketing executive Ravinder Masih is charged with owner Randy Lerner's vision of getting more of Birmingham's diverse community through the turnstiles.

"It's quite difficult to get the local community involved, purely because of what it was like in the 1970s and 80s with hooliganism.

"People remember that and associate football with hooliganism but slowly we're changing that perception by getting people into the family stand where they can experience the game in a safe and secure environment."

In Sunderland it is a different story. The Stadium of Light is situated on open ground not surrounded by terraced housing or a big Asian community.

I travelled 200 miles up the M6 to meet Malta Singh, a member of the Punjab Army, a group of Sikh fans who have embraced the club.

The message is loud and clear on the Sunderland's website, click SAFC Against Racism and you will find a picture of Malta and his friends wearing red and white turbans in the crowd.

"The drummers come out, the red and white turbans come out on the big occasions where everyone is buzzing - our aim is to walk across the Tyne Bridge, eight Sikhs with their turbans and let's see what reaction we get from Newcastle United fans!" said Malta.

Malta now takes his family to the games and says racism is not a problem. He has had the odd comment but nothing that will deter him from following his beloved Sunderland.

But racism still plays a small part in deterring more Asians from attending football matches.

We're saying football is a place where every section of every community is welcome

Punjabi Wolf and author Jas Baines

Kick It Out director Piara Power thinks that clubs can still do a lot more to attract British Asian fans.

"Leicester City, for example, will have an ethnic minority majority in a few years and they need to understand that and reach out in a way that is meaningful. Also children who cannot afford to go to a match need to be given an opportunity to go and try it," said Power.

Lower down the leagues it is proving more difficult to engage the local community.

Abdul 'Butch' Fazal is the chairman of National Asians in Football Forum and has been trying to get more Asians into football for the last few years.

On most Saturdays he takes a group of British Asian children to a Luton Town game in a bid to ensure that the next generation of Luton fans will have more British Asian faces than ever before.

"For years Asians have been excluded from the game, so it is difficult to win that trust and confidence back. I think it's the not knowing what you are going to, so it's essential that parents and children get that match-day experience," he said.

It is a happier story in the Midlands. For the last five years a group called Punjabi Wolves have been making waves in Wolverhampton. They see themselves as the fastest growing ethnic minority supporters club in the world.

With more than 500 members and many of them non-Asian, Punjabi Wolves have managed to forge close links with Championship leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Their aim is to help people, who have never experienced a match, feel safe and secure enough to go to a game.

Jas Baines is the author of 'Asians can't play football' and a Punjabi Wolf.

"We're saying football is a place where every section of every community is welcome. We know in the past it has had a bad image but Punjabi Wolves is a great example of showing that football is safe and cool, whoever you support."

Wolves chairman Jez Moxey thinks fans need to reach out to their local clubs and resolve issues unique to certain communities; such as letting in Sikhs who carry a ceremonial knife or Kirpan into the ground.

"We need to recognise that 15% of our local community is of Indian origin, so it's incumbent on us to make sure that in time 15% of our fans are Asian and we've made steps towards that," said Moxey.

"For example we were the first professional club in the UK to understand the importance of the Kirpan and allow it into the stadium."

The Premier League has carried out research into British Asians and will be handing its findings to its clubs. So even though more British Asians are attending football matches than ever before there is still much work to do.

A five-part BBC Asian Network series on Asian footballers and fans begins on Monday, 2 March.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Have Asians embraced the beautiful game?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »

Chelsea plot Asian talent trawl

Cardiff City's Michael Chopra
Chopra is one of only seven UK-born Asians playing in the Football League

Chelsea are targeting the Asian community as they look to unearth a new crop of potential Premier League stars.

The BBC Asian Network understands the club will announce a special coaching project in the next few weeks.

There are seven UK-born Asians playing in England's top four divisions, with none at the highest level after Michael Chopra left Sunderland for Cardiff.

QPR's Zesh Rehman, the only Asian to have played in all four divisions, says the current figures are "shocking".

"I think it's shocking to be perfectly honest. Seven out of 92 league clubs is alarming," said defender Rehman, who is on loan at Bradford City.

606: DEBATE
What are your thoughts on the subject?
"I think the first report about Asians in football came out about 10 years ago. So in 10 years to only have seven Asian players come through is still not enough.

"You can't tell me that Asian kids don't love football because they do.

"Anything that's going to help encourage them to get into the game or believe they have part in it is great."

The five other Asians plying their trade in the top four divisions are: Aman Verma (Leicester City); Anwar Uddin (Dagenham); Adnan Ahmed (Port Vale); Rikki Baines (Macclesfield Town) and Netan Sansara (Walsall).

Chelsea have two British Asian players at their academy, with Nikki Ahamed, 17, who was born in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and grew up in Wembley, having been at the club since he was 10 years old.

Bobby Barnes, the assistant chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, believes Chelsea will embrace social and business opportunities with the initiative.

"Chelsea are a business and a very successful football club. I think they have looked at not only the social reason but also looked at the marketing opportunities of this and realised there is a massive football-loving Asian market to be tapped into," he stated.

A five-part BBC Asian Network series on Asian footballers and fans begins on Monday, 2 March.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:18 AM »
i knew Chopra seem like an indian name.  I read football wasn't promoted by the lords and governors that came to india from england as cricket was.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »
it have plenty talent they missing...maybe they see more of a future in 9-5 gigs.

the best baller i ever see in atlanta was a half paki half iranian fella name khan down in piedmont park.

...and a make the rounds in this town with african, eastern euro and american teams.

chopra alright though....it had another one name harpal singh who was at leeds utd. when they was good. i think he in some irish bush side now.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:04:18 AM »
Our school team played against several other school teams and there were always very good players of Asian background who always got into the books of several London teams like QPR,Luton,WestHam etc,for some reason though,their future in the game never materialise.I worked in the school so I have seen quite a bit,Ilooked at a match once and saw this Indian boy play for our school,he was 14, the rest of the team was all Afro Caribbean boys and you just have to believe that this Indian was the best player on the field.He was fast,tough and skilfull.Ispoke to him after the match only to find out he was Trini and was offered apprenticeship with Fulham which he didn't want,said he wanted to go University.That is the problem wid dem.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »
Our school team played against several other school teams and there were always very good players of Asian background who always got into the books of several London teams like QPR,Luton,WestHam etc,for some reason though,their future in the game never materialise.I worked in the school so I have seen quite a bit,Ilooked at a match once and saw this Indian boy play for our school,he was 14, the rest of the team was all Afro Caribbean boys and you just have to believe that this Indian was the best player on the field.He was fast,tough and skilfull.Ispoke to him after the match only to find out he was Trini and was offered apprenticeship with Fulham which he didn't want,said he wanted to go University.That is the problem wid dem.

the father musbe thinking a youth have a much better chance of graduating from Uni and making a decent career than making it as a pro footballer.

even though the trini SSFL system is not the best in bringing up world class ballers at least they brought up to be well-rounded (as long as they try in school) and have career options if football doh work out. this moreso with the older schools like CIC, naps, pres, fatima, etc.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:29 AM »
slumdog magician
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
it have plenty talent they missing...maybe they see more of a future in 9-5 gigs.

the best baller i ever see in atlanta was a half paki half iranian fella name khan down in piedmont park.

...and a make the rounds in this town with african, eastern euro and american teams.

chopra alright though....it had another one name harpal singh who was at leeds utd. when they was good. i think he in some irish bush side now.

Just to clarify, Chopra is like 1/4 asian as far as I was aware (Think his dad is half asian) which is why the UK Asian community doh keep going on about him like they did with Harpal Singh (who is at Dundalk in Southern Ireland and not playing very well there either by all accounts) when he was a Leeds. Calling Chopra Asian because of his name is like saying Paul Mcgrath was ah white fella. Ent Clinton Morrison mother of mixed parentage linked with Ireland...alluh go call him ah White man???

Personally ah doh see what all the fuss is about, name one country in the world with a significant immigrant asian community that has many notable asian ballers. I can't think of one, come to think of it I can't even think of many notable Asian ballers period. The Asian community (Parents!) has to take some of the blame it cannot simply be that they have been overlooked and are'nt being targeted. The UK has many community projects focusing on football, yes more can be done and admitted the funding varies but it is simply a matter of making the effort to get your kids to attend. I remember watching some youth sessions at Southall about 4 years ago (which is virtually entirely Asian/Somali these days) yet the mix of black/white and Asian was even!!! The Asian fellas should have outnumbered the others at least 5:1.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »

chopra alright though.
Personally ah doh see what all the fuss is about, name one country in the world with a significant immigrant asian community that has many notable asian ballers. I can't think of one, come to think of it I can't even think of many notable Asian ballers period.

true dat. dem english need something to do.

anyhow, fiji and singapore have "indian" baller. watch them side on football asia on FSC.

me eh know if u could calld dem immigrant though.

http://www.fas.org.sg/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=845

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_national_football_team

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 08:23:11 PM »
them so like goat shit,where ever de breeze blow.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
so just now you go see india in de world cup?
with over a billion ppl in India and millions worldwide in UK, Germany, Canada, US and Aussie, they should be bringing these fellas with talent to play for their (or their parents) home country
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:30:26 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
so just now you go see india in de world cup?
with over a billion ppl in India and millions worldwide in UK, Germany, Canada, US and Aussie, they should be bringing these fellas with talent to play for their (or their parents) home country
India and Pakistan have already started doing that but most of their players comes from Amateur football at club level,some of these players are good enough but they stick to 9 to 5 jobs 5 days a week.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:03 AM »
chelsea still looking for the "asian" star in 2010.

send dem chirren allyuh making all over the world. if they have trini in dem they bound to be grapevine "asian."

http://www.kickitout.org/1095.php
www.chelseafc.com/asiansoccerstar

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Just to clarify, Chopra is like 1/4 asian as far as I was aware (Think his dad is half asian) which is why the UK Asian community doh keep going on about him like they did with Harpal Singh (who is at Dundalk in Southern Ireland and not playing very well there either by all accounts) when he was a Leeds. Calling Chopra Asian because of his name is like saying Paul Mcgrath was ah white fella. Ent Clinton Morrison mother of mixed parentage linked with Ireland...alluh go call him ah White man???
Paul McGrath's father was Nigerian and his mother was a white Irish woman.  Clint is part Jamaican and had one granny from Ireland.  Your race is whatever you want it to be, like Obama chose to put black on his census form and he's has as much white ancestry as he does black.  If Chopra thinks he is Asian and identifies with Indian culture I guess he is Asian.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:49:34 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:03:51 AM »
i thought clinton morrison was at least part trini. thought he chose ireland over us for international football.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
i thought clinton morrison was at least part trini. thought he chose ireland over us for international football.
I did not know that but you're right
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-1083740-morrison-could-be-all-wright.do

I know Jamaica were very active in their pursuit of him
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2001/0205/morrisonc.html

He's done decently for Ireland and I'm glad to have him as an option but he hasn't really gotten much of a look under Staunton or Trapattoni so maybe had he played for Jamaica or T&T he would have gotten more caps.  He hasn't exactly been banging in the goals the past couple of years though he's done OK...he's very streaky I think.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:46:07 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
We should be asking why TT, Guyana, Suriname which have huge Indian population don't have more footballers, TF, Rugby, hockey, netball, basketball players?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »
We should be asking why TT, Guyana, Suriname which have huge Indian population don't have more footballers, TF, Rugby, hockey, netball, basketball players?

i could crack stereotypical jokes but me eh know why. i remember aron winter was a boss for holland in the 94 and 98 world cups. class act off the field too.

think he was from surinam like 1/2 of the dutch team of the time.

i think some of it is geosocialcultural e.g. in fiji indian is play football and other people rugby. a paki partner tell mih hockey is a big thing on dat side after cricket.

good read from a 1/2 trini who used to play for FIU back in my day that might give some perspective. written when he as a USL player before he become a doctor:

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/OSAC/writing/litmag/archive/2004/crappyday.htm
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:08:12 PM by Andre »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »

i could crack stereotypical jokes but me eh know why. i remember aron winter was a boss for holland in the 94 and 98 world cups. class act off the field too.

think he was from surinam like 1/2 of the dutch team of the time.

i think some of it is geosocialcultural e.g. in fiji indian is play football and other people rugby. a paki partner tell mih hockey is a big thing on dat side after cricket.

good read from a 1/2 trini who used to play for FIU back in my day that might give some perspective. written when he as a USL player before he become a doctor:

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/OSAC/writing/litmag/archive/2004/crappyday.htm

very nice read.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
VB,
       Yes, Aaron was very good and consistent player. He was born in Suriname.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Winter.

From Wiki

Desi footballer Aaron Winter from Suriname endured a lot of racist treatment during his career with Italian clubs:

The Italian team Lazio … once recruited a Surinamese national of Indian ethnicity, Aaron Winter, who was repeatedly subject to attacks on the pitch with cries of “niggers and Jews out”. [link via SM]

The former Ajax, Lazio and Inter Milan player retired from football this summer after 17 years and 84 caps for Holland. During his career he played with some of the finest of his generation including Ruud Gullit, Marco Van Basten and Frank Rijkaard.

At Lazio he bore the brunt of racism from the club’s own fans, regularly being decried as a ‘jew’ and a ‘nigger’. He stood firm and expressed pride in his ethnic background as an Indian heritage Hindu, born in the former Dutch Caribbean colony of Surinam. [Link

1]; } ?>