April 25, 2024, 06:22:31 AM

Author Topic: Fatima can exorcise my demons  (Read 14055 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima can exorcise my demons
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:10:04 AM »
Fatima can exorcise my demons
By Anil Roberts (Trinidad Guardian)

Eighteen years is certainly a long time to wait. However it appears that finally my alma mater, Fatima College is well placed to make a run at a national title or titles this season.

It was a full 18 years ago that my team-mates and I learned the harshest of lessons, that overconfidence breeds failure.

As a unit we simply threw away the national Big Seven League title because individually we believed that we had it won. Only the formality of beating St. Mary’s College for the third straight time in one season stood in our way. CIC was floundering at the bottom of the big seven table which included, Signal Hill, Presentation College (San Fernando), St. Benedict, Malick, San Juan, CIC and us Fatima College.

We were by no stretch of the imagination the most talented team in the country, however we played with pride and commitment because we truly loved one another as indeed we loved our school.

We had grown up together, limed together, gotten into trouble together, studied together, tracked girls together, played football together from form one, to under 14 into under 16 and onto the first eleven squad. In short we were all brothers.

We were united under one leader, our captain Sean Ramdoo. He was a quiet leader who led by example. His obvious footballing pedigree was equally matched by his supreme fitness and total commitment to the cause. He was also the most experienced player, along with Scott Rodriguez who had played first 11 football since form three. One year earlier, while I was completing my A Levels at Millfield School in England, Scott had made the decision to transform himself from being one of the best goalkeepers in the Colleges League to a deadly, though temperamental striker. His left foot bullets still reverberate in the minds of opposing keepers to this day. Scotty was big, fast, powerful and most importantly hungry to score goals.

Our mercurical coach, Colin Murray, who understood the absolute importance of team chemistry in producing a winning formula, immediately decided to play me, up front with Scotty, knowing full well that we holds true to this day, as Scotty is the Godfather of my first born daughter, Rebecca.

Scott and I had an understanding of each other’s abilities, preferences, strengths and weaknesses that can only be described as instinctive. I knew what Scotty was going to do, well before he actually did it and vice versa.

However, the anchor of our team was the improved play of our goalkeeper Christopher Sagar. He had an MVP year in goal, pulling off some of the most remarkable saves I have every seen.

He was ably supported in defense by the “Black Mamba” Miguel Buruett, a tall sleek sweeper who combined patience with controlled aggression, speed and intelligence. Keith Farinha, completed the center of defense with his uncanny ability to take quality strikers totally out of the game. Our wingbacks were definitely the weak point of our team, however this weakness was kept to a minimum by some astute personnel and systematic changes implemented by Murray.

He simply demanded that the two wide midfielders provide coverage for our wingbacks at all times while never shirking their attacking responsibility.

This meant an increased workload for both Ramdoo and Dwight Findlay. The central midfield position was controlled by Lawson Bernard, a silky, smooth, skillful player with the ability to pass with both feet, who very rarely got caught out of position.

The other, auxillory central midfield position was shared between the young, Keston Wright and the “Noble Ostrich” Raymond Clarke.

In 1987, we were able to win the North Zone with three games to spare. The ‘Big Seven’ however would present us with a host of new challenges. Signal Hill boasted the likes of Dwight Yorke and Colvin Hutchinson, Presentation College had Anthony Sherwood, Romano Paul and Mr. Osbourne, St. Benedicts fielded Ivan Sampson, San Juan placed most of their attacking burden on Louis Le Gendre, while CIC, had, in Kona Hislop arguably, the most deadly forward to ever play colleges league football. Kona Hislop always came directly down the opponents’ throats, he was not interested in side to side dribbling. His acceleration over the first five yards was simply lethal. Kona Hislop had the ability to win a game on his own.

This is a fact that somehow managed to slip all of our collective minds ahead of our sixth and final game in the 1987 Big Seven Competition. All we needed was a draw to win the national league title. We had beaten Malick and St. Benedicts, lost to San Juan in the Oval, when I was guilty of missing at least three sitters. We miraculously scraped a 1 – nil victory over Presentation College in Skinner’s Park, despite Anthony Sherwood and the boys running roughshod over us for 88 minutes before, I headed, in a right –sided Scott Rodriguez corner to steal victory on the worst surface we had played on all season.

The pitch had not been rolled following a double-header in the rain the day before and the sun had dried the mud into forming a tapestry of deep interlocking crevasses.

Sherwood simply tore us to shreds with his ability to play the long ball in the air onto the chest of Osbourne. Sagar, our custodian saved the day. We then went on to humiliate Signal Hill at Shaw Park in Tobago. So much so, that the 3,000 odd Tobagonian fans began chanting Fatima, Fatima as we completed a 2-0 thrashing of Signal Hill.

Now all that remained was CIC, we had beaten them by 4-1 on their very own grounds and 2-1 on our field. We forgot to take into consideration the over-confidence factor. We strolled around the pitch like anointed star boys. Ninety minutes later we had been handed the most painful of losses by our most hated of rivals, who simply pounded us by 5 goals to nil. Kona Hislop scored a beaver trick, and just to put an exclamation point on our annihilation, the wingback Barry Roach scored the fifth and final goal…………… I still have nightmares about that game today. Signal Hill sent a bottle of champagne to the staff of CIC and invited them up to their celebrations. We were left holding back our tears, wondering what had just happened.

Now you can see that it has truly been a very long, painful 18 years. The 2005 version of Fatima College is collectively a more skillful unit than our 1987 team. All that is left to be seen is if they can duplicate the passion while steering clear of the inherent dangers of overconfidence, straits and complacency.

GO FATIMA!
Rallying for Rudolph.
By Garth Wattley (Express)
[/size]

The grieving footballers of Malick Secondary Comprehensive got a visit from Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) technical director Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips at their school yesterday morning.

He was on a mission of mercy.

"When something like that happens, it affects the whole football fraternity. We must be concerned just as if it happened to us. We must have that kind of compassion," Phillips told the Express as he commented on the sudden death of Malick player Rudolph Charles last Friday during the school's BG T&T Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Championship Division match at the Hasely Crawford stadium against Tranquillity Secondary.

Charles, who was 17 years old, collapsed and later died from what SSFL general secretary Azaad Khan said were "heart complications".

In view of Charles' death, Khan said the League have postponed Malick's North Zone fixture against Fatima College which was scheduled for this afternoon.

The SSFL have also undertaken to help with the costs of the player's funeral, which will take place on Friday at Our Lady of Fatima Roman Catholic Church in Laventille from 3 p.m.

Counselling sessions for both the players and coaching staff with psychologist Ian Jeffrey are also scheduled to start today.

In addition, a minute's silence is to be observed before the start of all of today's SSFL matches.

However, Phillips' visit to Malick yesterday was not part of the SSFL plan.

While the former national goalkeeper said he was representing the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, he also explained his journey was "just from the heart".

The tragedy, he said, brought back to mind a personal experience.

"It was very, very personal," he said, "having gone through a similar situation in the US about 20 years ago."

Phillips explained: "I was coaching, we were going to a tournament. We had an accident and one of the parents died and one of the players was in a coma for about six months."

Phillips said the counselling he and the other parents received from a psychiatrist, who was also a parent, helped him to share with the Malick players.

"She made me talk a lot. She had an exercise with the boys and she made them talk and go over the incident. Folks have a tendency to internalise these traumas and it could mess them up for life. The exercise she put me through helped me to understand those moments. Also what she did, she spent a long time with the coaches and the parents because as adults we blame ourselves unfairly."

Phillips said yesterday at Malick, "everyone had to speak...even those who (initially) refused to talk. They did speak and cried a lot. I spoke with them as a parent and as a coach."

Charles' mother, Debra, described her son as "a loving child" and said the school as a whole had been showing concern.

"The children and them giving me a full support," she told CCN TV6. "Most of the children from the school, they always here with me since Rudolph died... They really liked him. The teachers, everybody calls me. The principal, everybody. So I can't say anything bad about the school."

Phillips said that even in their grief, the Malick boys expressed a new resolve to earn silverware this season.

"They were going to do it for him," said the T&TFF official.

"Whenever life throws anything like that at you, you can't back away but go ahead and take care of your responsibilities, both social and academic," he added.

And when Charles' mates take the field again on Saturday at the Queen's Royal College ground against QRC, Phillips has promised them to be on the sidelines, watching them try to go forward.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 03:12:15 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fatima can exorcise my demons
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 08:21:34 AM »
Go Fatima !!!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »
For the years I was there Fatima always was a mid table side. However we were always known for pulling off spirited Intercol campaigns.

I hope them fellas keep up the good work and continue they winning streak.

Once they doe get complacent they have plenty titles to win this year.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 08:29:52 AM »
I was at that game i wept openly and unashamedly!!!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 08:34:44 AM »
However we were always known for pulling off spirited Intercol campaigns.

That sound like a euphimism for losing boy.

Did they win anything?

I am not trying to start nothing, I am just genuinely curious.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:40:31 AM »
tha game was a tough one saints came out blazing kona on fire.  them wingbacks wasn't larry and Ian nehtto? larry wasn't tha bad wasn't any cafu but was ok.

i always thought scotty was the weakest link?  ;) joking scotty a good fella.

It real easy to start losing focus when u on 1st eleven and even easier when your team winning.

stay focused fatima.  good luck the rest of the way watch that 2nd game vs saints and qrc they go be coming back hard.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »
tha game was a tough one saints came out blazing kona on fire.  them wingbacks wasn't larry and Ian nehtto? larry wasn't tha bad wasn't any cafu but was ok.

It real easy to start losing focus when u on 1st eleven and even easier when your team winning.

stay focused fatima.  good luck the rest of the way watch that 2nd game vs saints and qrc they go be coming back hard.

That game was the highlight for CIC that season. Man I witnessed all five goals. Let me just say that we were getting hype for that game from time. I was in class with Kona and it was the last game he was going to play with CIC as he was going to Howard on scholarship the next year. We were telling him he had to buss at least 2 on Fatima.
Like Anil said in the article we were low down in the Big 7 and just wanted to play spoilers for Fatima. I remeber that during that game, we were leading 2-0 and dominating and Coach Martin just start telling de team "show"...and that's exactly what they did. Attacking men at will, and Kona was just rippin left, left and left. It was the best game we played for the season and pay back for the 4-1 that Fatima had drop on us earlier on we home ground.
well yes

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »

Did they win anything?

In 1987, we were able to win the North Zone with three games to spare. The ‘Big Seven’ however would present us with a host of new challenges

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04:40 AM »

That game was the highlight for CIC that season. Man I witnessed all five goals. Let me just say that we were getting hype for that game from time. I was in class with Kona and it was the last game he was going to play with CIC as he was going to Howard on scholarship the next year. We were telling him he had to buss at least 2 on Fatima.
Like Anil said in the article we were low down in the Big 7 and just wanted to play spoilers for Fatima. I remeber that during that game, we were leading 2-0 and dominating and Coach Martin just start telling de team "show"...and that's exactly what they did. Attacking men at will, and Kona was just rippin left, left and left. It was the best game we played for the season and pay back for the 4-1 that Fatima had drop on us earlier on we home ground.

must we relive the horror over and over again...this thread need to be banned!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 09:06:25 AM »

Did they win anything?

Nah we didn't win titles
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 09:39:03 AM »
I am a Saints man..so yes I will give Fatima their props..CIC is, as we say, rebuilding.. Fatima will probably win the North ..(watch Malick ..with an emotional push RIP to the youth)

On a National stage though ...Fatima eh built fuh dat.. look for the east champ to prevail (the Machine or Arima)...

By the way ....that 5-0 CIC win will always be a classic!
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 10:01:25 AM »

Did they win anything?

In 1987, we were able to win the North Zone with three games to spare. The ‘Big Seven’ however would present us with a host of new challenges

I meant during the time span that Touches was referring to.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 10:08:07 AM »
Anil: "We miraculously scraped a 1 – nil victory over Presentation College in Skinner’s Park, despite Anthony Sherwood and the boys running roughshod over us for 88 minutes before, I headed, in a right –sided Scott Rodriguez corner to steal victory on the worst surface we had played on all season.

The pitch had not been rolled following a double-header in the rain the day before and the sun had dried the mud into forming a tapestry of deep interlocking crevasses.

Sherwood simply tore us to shreds with his ability to play the long ball in the air onto the chest of Osbourne
."

Anil "Spalksman" Roberts, must be high on something cause I remember that encounter (Pres-sando vs Fatima in 87). And the only things he right about was the final score, who score the winner, Skinner Park surface was awful, and that we run all over them.

Collin "Ozzy" Osborne had already started on his scholarship in Charleston, SC so Ozzy was not on that Pres side, the man who was constantly ripping them up was Darryl "Eats"Edwards a little general from Mayaro along with Sherwood.

The goal:
Totally against the run of play, Fatima get ah corner. Nazim Karim (making his first start for Pres) was marking the first post as the rodriguez corner come in pres GK Greggory Mitchell, Anil, and Karim collide at first post with the ball literally dropping on Anil back and bouncing into the goal. WE ALL APPEALED TO THE REF FOR A FOUL ON WE KEEPER TO NO AVAIL.[/color]

Yours trully was playing foward for Pres, and like Anil I threw way a few.

P.S. I will say this though, in the two years that Pres was a big force in the Eighties (86, 87) Fatima was unbeaten against us. (we tie them in Mucarapo when we won the league in 86, and then we loss the above game in shitty Skinner Park a year later.

Oh, and by the way Pres was the first team to beat Signall Hill that year (Yours truly scored in a 3-1 victory), and in my opinion Signal Hill was just as or more talented than Fatima in 87.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 12:11:42 PM by nigelfabien »

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 10:08:25 AM »
Anil... You bring  back memories...
I did not do form 6.. but that was my year... Burnett was in my class.. Black Mamaba... LOL

GO Fatima!!!!!!!!!

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »
as usual CIC spoil allyuh party.. ilooking for a repeat this year in the return encounter!!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 11:56:14 AM »
as usual CIC spoil allyuh party.. ilooking for a repeat this year in the return encounter!!
not this year buddy

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »
boy dis fatima/cic rivalry means soo much in my household as meh brother played for fatima and i saints around de same time..so is big bachannal when one side beat de other. having said that....ah wish fatima all de best. they deserve to get back to wining ways at colleges league.  they have always been able to produce quality players over de years without any results...so hopefully they can continue their winning ways. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Jr Sams - Martin instructions was "Show Time"
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 12:35:33 PM »
Man just start knocking the ball all over the field. I think we string 20 interrupted passes in a row.

Wendell Regis bus the legendary "vushung" beat on the Saints Side line. I forget who take the  behind the back spanner. But eat that beat nice.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 12:41:38 PM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jr Sams - Martin instructions was "Show Time"
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 03:12:49 PM »
Man just start knocking the ball all over the field. I think we string 20 interrupted passes in a row.

Wendell Regis bus the legendary "vushung" beat on the Saints Side line. I forget who take the  behind the back spanner. But eat that beat nice.

Yeah...dats it....."show time"...I was behind the bench and I remember de "vushung" Wendell drop down...
dat was some real licks
well yes

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »
all that nice looking showtime and backward spanner .bottom line neither team win and BSC take the title again.

best all yuh let fatima win it. :)

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
all that nice looking showtime and backward spanner .bottom line neither team win and BSC take the title again.

best all yuh let fatima win it. :)

...de rivalry too deep to let that happen
well yes

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 06:16:55 PM »
so anybody post the results of the fatima malick match that was supposed to play today?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 06:22:32 PM »
"In view of Charles' death, Khan said the League have postponed Malick's North Zone fixture against Fatima College which was scheduled for this afternoon."

alright...lemme correct muh own mistake.

respect to Charles and best of luck in his journey through the next world of God!

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 10:09:54 PM »
RIP Charles.

[On a National stage though ...Fatima eh built fuh dat.. look for the east champ to prevail (the Machine or Arima)...
/quote]

Today San Juan put a 6-1 licking on my team St. Augustine oiu....I not happy at all brudda

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »
Jr Sams...ah didn't know yuh was a Saints man and in Kona class to boot.  Yuh was in de same year with scruffles too. We was in CIC around de same time. Ah was in de year with Roach, Rocke, Shaka and dem. Regis, Tank and Ollie was caught in de middle between our years. Was Briggs in your year? Yuh remember Douglas...he in England now.

Anyways...Boy de spalksman bold face...dat is de only good year dey had in a real long time. After Colin Rocke drop a hattrick on Scott Rodriguez on Setrpentine Road one year, Scotty decided he eh going and keep no more. Ball get flick over he head and ball thru he leg all kinda ting..he was standing up fuh all three goals...yuh could imagine Scotty face how red it was...dem freckles was at boiling point...he always wears his emotions on he sleeve. Saga was de wicket keeper fuh Fatima during dem time and turn out to be a half way decent GK but his distribution was poor. To me de only fella dat Fatima had with presence at dat time was Ronald Koo. How de spalksman miss he name...is ah wonder. He only seem to recall he padnahs and dem.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 04:08:40 AM »
It's not surprising that Fatima did that well in 1987.

We have a spotty record in the College's league becz we don't shamelessly buy players the way other schools do.

However, in 1982 Fatima were the hands down U-14 Champos of Trinidad. Their only loss was to Signal Hill 3-2, after finishing the first half 2-0.

Thus in 87 the core of the U-14 team was now in Form VI.

Burnette, Baptiste, Roberts, Ramdoo, Bernard, Squires, Scotty (who played forward at U-14) and Larry Williams..Barney should have been there...but the school frig him up....Samo, I and Raj, were in the same year with these fellas..

Saga and Farihna were one year behind us. So they were all born and bred in Fatima.

I'm really sorry that I missed that year.

Btw that U-14 squad also had fellas like  Colin Zamore,Singh and Winston Chandler.

Peace,
VB
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 04:19:19 AM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 07:09:39 AM »
VB,

The biggest travesty of jutice in Fatima football history was not to grant Wayne Barny Shephered a chance to play for Fatima. Pure politics and favoritism as far as I was concerned. They would have won with him on the field. Ramdoo was very upset about this decision by Mervin Moore and Heywood.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 07:16:28 AM »
raj i 2nd that. not bringing back barney had to be the biggest bonehead move in that school's history

no decision was worse than that a national player with 5 passes and not even a repeat. what kinda joke is that.

come to think of it another bonehead move was losing coach roberts and hiring murray and keeping him for all them years.
roberts was one of TT best coaches at that time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 07:36:51 AM by Tallman »

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2005, 07:47:20 AM »
As I remember it that Form 5 Dean, Mr Romero had too much say in who got to come back, he was really running that school.

Then again it could have been my 3 pass that prohibited my return for a repeat as a non-footballer.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2005, 07:52:20 AM »
Ro was big.  better he run the school than those 2 goats in Mr Moore and Mother frog.

1]; } ?>