April 25, 2024, 01:37:46 AM

Author Topic: March Madness  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
March Madness
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:24 AM »
It done start.

Automatic bids so far:

ACC   
America East   
Atlantic 10   
Atlantic Sun   East Tennessee State
Big 12   
Big East   
Big Sky   
Big South   Radford
Big Ten   
Big West   
Colonial   VCU
Conference USA   
Horizon   
Ivy League   Cornell
MAAC   Siena
MAC   
MEAC   
Missouri Valley   Northern Iowa
Mountain West   
Northeast   
Ohio Valley   Morehead State
Pac-10   
Patriot   
SEC   
Southern   Chattanooga
Southland   
Summit   
Sun Belt   
SWAC   
WAC   
WCC   Gonzaga
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: March Madness
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
Go UCONN!

We need another pool.. maybe the NY times one again.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
yeah who in

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »
dat time of the year again?  first round is next week?

Offline NJsTriniGunna

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:51:57 PM »
Louisville. Earl Clark got Plainfield New Jersey on his back. He got all of Union County on his back as a matter of fact.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:39:02 AM »
i made a group today

http://ncaabracket.nytimes.com/groups/men/lHczVRd02gH

OR just search for the soca warriors group

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
i made a group today

http://ncaabracket.nytimes.com/groups/men/lHczVRd02gH

OR just search for the soca warriors group

Ready to roll! I'll make my picks after the announcement on Sunday.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »
yuh know this college ball i neva follow.is too much to keep track of. :-[
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »
orangemen down uconn IN 6 OTs. ncaa is the best drama.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
hear this game last 3 hrs 46 mins

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
come nah fellas, come in the group nah, it dont matter if u dont really follow college ball once u have a general idea of the teams and watch one or two reports/analysis shows u good to go

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
Examiner: Coast Guard coach committed suicideAssociated Press

Updated: March 16, 2009, 12:11 PM EST 28 comments NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut's medical examiner says the women's basketball coach at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy committed suicide in his car.
Coast Guard officials say the body of 52-year-old Alex Simonka, of Ledyard, was found Saturday night. The medical examiner said Monday that Simonka's death was caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Simonka graduated from the academy in 1979 and retired from active duty in 1999. He had been the women's basketball coach at the Division III school for the last 16 years. He also was the athletics business manager.

Investigators say Simonka was scheduled to visit family in New Jersey this weekend. When he didn't show up, his family called the academy in New London. That's when officials found his body in his car.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
yuh know this college ball i neva follow.is too much to keep track of. :-[

doh study dat nah man.  I eh follow a single ting this season but I just make a set of pics based on seeds and which teams I know is traditionally big shots.  Plus I picking the same side to win in every pool for the last 5 years.

go probably try to read some articles tomorrow.

join the group man.  the competition go be good once we get a good few people.  where 100% barataria?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
Excitement today.
This is why this tournament is the best.

#11 Dayton  «      68
#06 West Virginia   60

#12 Arizona «   84
#05 Utah   71

#10 Southern California  «   72
#07 Boston College      55

#09 Siena  «   74
#08 Ohio State   72

#12 Wisconsin  «   61
#05 Florida State   59

#13 Cleveland State  «   84
#04 Wake Forest      69

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 12:30:48 AM »
dis March Madness does make teams UPSET, ent? :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
Excitement done!

March 24, 2009

Round of 16 Is Heavy on Favorites, Low on Charm
By PETE THAMEL
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/sports/ncaabasketball/24thamel.html?_r=1&hp

The four-day basketball binge that each year makes up one of the best stretches in American sports has ended. Now that the dust has settled after the first two rounds of the N.C.A.A. tournament, the residue looks chalky.

Not one of the 16 teams remaining does not resonate as a recognizable brand name in college basketball. None could be considered a remote surprise to have advanced.

The tournament has been as predictable as a 401(k)’s decline or Jim Nantz’s trying too hard to romanticize a story line. So, before any attempt to describe how it should go from here, let’s look back at how it got this way.

If there’s a theme running through this Round of 16 it’s a river of blue blood, as 13 of the 16 remaining teams come from Bowl Championships Series conferences, five from the heavyweight Big East. No team seeded No. 1, 2 or 3 has been knocked out. There’s also no Davidson, Valparaiso or Western Kentucky remaining, no campuses for the news media to storm to capture the spirit of a historic run.

They have all been here before, plenty of times. (Missouri and Purdue are among the few teams experiencing something novel by being in the Round of 16. It is Missouri’s first trip since 2002 and Purdue’s first since 2000.)

What Mike Slive, chairman of the N.C.A.A. Division I men’s basketball committee, and his minions have left us is a tournament high on predictability and low on charm. CBS will love the ratings as the sport’s behemoths battle it out next weekend. And while the purists are salivating over games like No. 3 Villanova against No. 2 Duke, No. 3 Missouri vs. No. 2 Memphis and No. 3 Syracuse vs. No. 2 Oklahoma, there’s a nagging sense that some of the magic has been vacuumed from March.

If you picked all of the favorites for your office pool bracket, you would have returned to work on Monday with 14 of the final 16 teams intact. How many people would take that? I would.

What best sums up this N.C.A.A. tournament is that the only team remaining that is lower than a No. 5 seed, No. 12 Arizona, has a 25-year streak of making the N.C.A.A. tournament

Of the three teams from outside the B.C.S. leagues — No. 2 Memphis, No. 4 Xavier and No. 4 Gonzaga — none could be considered a feel-good story, as they have consistently been parts of the tournament for the last decade. Memphis was a few seconds and a coaching gaffe away from winning the national title last season, Xavier made the Round of 8 last year, and Gonzaga has reached 11 consecutive N.C.A.A. tournaments.

So, what are we to make of all this high-wattage chalk? Well, I wouldn’t expect it to end. When writers broke down the bracket last Monday in The New York Times, on the Quad blog and on video, it was clear that chalk was the way to go. Why?

First off, this is the fifth consecutive year that all five No. 1 seeds have advanced to the Round of 16. It’s too risky to pencil out a No. 1 in the first weekend.

The reason the No. 1s are so dominant is that the glut of one-and-done defections to the N.B.A. combined with a less-than-stellar freshman class left a chasm between the teams with elite talent and the teams without elite talent. There are few teams with high-caliber N.B.A. players, which is why I predicted that no team higher than a No. 3 would make the Final Four. (My selections were Louisville, Connecticut, Villanova and North Carolina.)

Don’t expect much to change as this tournament moves forward. I don’t see any of the No. 1s being challenged in this round; North Carolina should be fine even if Ty Lawson’s nagging toe injury continues to limit him. (Louisville, with a home crowd in Indianapolis, still appears to be the favorite to win the title. Pitt looked vulnerable against East Tennessee State and Oklahoma State, but it’s not in the Panthers’ DNA to blow teams out.)

The games matching up the No. 2s and No. 3s are the true heavyweight bouts this week, as all of them should yield high ratings and drama. Oklahoma lacks a proficient stable of outside shooters and could struggle with Syracuse’s zone. Villanova could end up running over Duke. The game with the most potential to be a blowout is Michigan State against Kansas, as Sparty already blew out the Jayhawks once this season.

It would be wrong to say that giving just four at-large bids to colleges outside the B.C.S. conferences has made for a dramaless tournament. But it would be silly to think that having Wisconsin and Arizona as No. 12 seeds gave it added cachet.

But there’s an old tournament truism that when teams make stunning runs, they usually end with a thud. Even George Mason eventually got blown out, in the Final Four. So while this tournament might have lacked some passion and novelty in its opening weekend, it should compensate for that with a few heavyweight bouts.

But even with all those top-flight teams, another chalky weekend is in the forecast.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »
The Dawn of Madness
30 Years Ago, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson clashed for the NCAA title and changed basketball forever
March 26, 2009 marks the 30th anniversary of the epic NCAA championship clash between Larry Bird of Indiana State and Magic Johnson of Michigan State. Now the President of Basketball Operations for the Indiana Pacers, Bird shared his memories of the event in a lengthy media Q&A session, excerpts of which are presented here.

More March Memories
Jim O'Brien | Roy Hibbert | Danny Granger
Troy Murphy | Maceo Baston

Q. Larry, you have done a lot in basketball. That season, that team, community, everything that went into it in '79, where does that rank?
A. Well it ranks up pretty high because expectations weren’t great. You know our head coach Bob King was ill and going into the season with a new coach (Bill Hodges) we really didn’t know what was going to happen. And then we had some decent players … we got lucky a couple times but going into the finals 33-0 that’s something I never dreamed about.

Q. Was that your toughest loss?
A. Oh, yeah.

Q. Would you really trade an NBA title for that one?
A. I don’t trade anything (laughs). I work very hard to win what I have won, but you know it’s a once in a lifetime chance and growing up and watching the finals and just have an opportunity to play in it. I knew going into that game we were going to play a team we hadn’t seen before. I knew that. … They were long, athletic, they ran. We were more of a controlled team where the ball went through my hands the majority of the time. I watched them play a few times that year and knew going into that game it was going to be a battle.

Q. Somebody tells a story about taping your ankles before the game (and) you said to Bob (Heaton), 'I hope you are you ready,' and he said, 'yeah,' and you said, 'I hope so, 'cause I ain't feeling it."
A. Well I don’t know about not feeling it, but I never did feel good in any games I ever played. If you asked me that question before any game I ever played I did not want to play. I had a sick feeling that I really thought I was going to die every time I went out there until I stepped on the court. But from 2 o’clock till game time every high school, college, and professional game, that time frame it was not a good time for me. So if anyone had asked me the day of the game if I was ready to play I would have said no. But once I got out there I was fine.

Q. Larry as the years go by, looking back on that game do you feel differently about it, do you appreciate it more, does it change in your mind at all about the appreciation for it?
A. Well, I think after leaving college and being able to play against the Lakers and Magic, it means probably a little bit more now because we competed not only in college but 13 years in the pros and getting to know him over the years. But that game was special and it broke my heart that I wasn’t able to bring back a championship to the city of Terre Haute and the Indiana State Sycamores because I put so much into that. I practiced very hard, I played on a pretty decent team and you know I was the guy and I had a lot of pressure on me to perform well. We played DePaul in the game on Saturday and I played very well and we just beat them by two points so going into that game I knew it was going to be a little different. I thought maybe we had a chance if everybody played well but just the way they played and their length and the quickness and the way they could score points I knew I had to play a perfect game and it didn’t happen.

Q. All the years that have gone by it really hasn’t changed the memory of the feelings?
A. No not at all, it meant a great deal to me to win that game and we didn’t do it. You know, going 33-0 is nice but even if we would have had a couple losses and got there the loss would have hurt just the same. I thought Bill Hodges did a great job with us, you know he was just thrown in there. I mean there were a lot of things that were said over the years, who should have got the job and I made the decision to come back and all that, My decision was easy I told everybody I was coming back, I was drafted as a junior, I was coming I didn’t care who the coach was. I was there for one reason, to try to get into the NCAA tournament and do as well as we possibly could. (Hodges) had us playing at a level that we probably never played at before and he got a team together that guys played their roles and if they didn’t play their roles we wouldn’t have had a chance to win.

Q. People say (you) coached that team. Did you have to watch how forceful you were?
A. Well, practice was very intense. When we played we had some tough guys on that team that played hard but no I didn’t coach that team. Bill Hodges did and I played for a great coach before him and Bob King taught me a lot about the game but Bill Hodges had complete control of that team. I had control of my teammates; I thought that I sort of intimidated them a little bit and was on them pretty hard at times but you know sometimes you've got to pay the price to get where you want to go.

Q. During the season, how aware were you of all the comparisons with Magic?
A. I didn’t pay attention to any of it but I did see him play a couple times and I can remember watching him earlier in the season. They played the Russians and we played the Russians after that or before that but I watched him play and I knew, I even told my teammates that I think that’s the best team in the country and had no dream of us playing against them and they proved me right.

Q. How many conversations have you had with Magic over the years about this?
A. We don’t talk about this. We did one interview together. Now, if I had won it probably would have been a little different. We did an interview probably five years ago, every five years this comes up, but that’s the first time I think we have ever talked about it.

Q. What does it mean to you the fact that people still want to talk about this 30 years later?
A. It’s pretty surprising to me because there has been a lot of great champions throughout the years a lot of great finals and it seems like every five years they keep bringing this one up I think it’s because there is a lot of people around the country that watched it and there is still some interest in it.

Q. At what point did your rivalry turn into a friendship?
A. We really don’t hang out together but over the years we have spent some time together but, once we stepped on that court, all that was out the window. Believe me, now guys hang out before the game and they go over to each other’s house to eat and all that. I could never do that and I am sure Magic wouldn’t have anything to do with that, either.

Q. You said you were surprised people are still talking about (that game) 30 years later. In your mind, why do you think it's had such an impact?
A. I have no clue. It's just two guys trying to play the game the right way and coming from a small school, state school, and playing a big powerhouse out of the Big Ten and I guess it just got everybody’s imagination around it. I mean, I enjoyed every time I played against Magic, whether it was regular season or college or the playoffs but you know if you’re a competitor you want to play against the best and I always thought he was the best. Then (Michael) Jordan came along and it was a little different.

Q. Have you ever watched it from start to finish?
A. Never.

Q. Do you still have your ring from the title game?
A. You know, I have no idea. I have had a lot of stuff I accumulated over the years and somehow it continues to be missing but just like I said when I won a championship in Boston a ring didn’t really mean anything to me, it was the banner that was hung in the Boston Garden that meant everything to me because it didn’t have anyone’s name on it, it just said the year, so that’s more important.

Q. You said you never watched it from start to finish, I would imagine someone probably couldn’t pay you to do that right now?
A. Well I don’t know. I can remember the game, if we got into a conversation, if you watch it and ask me questions about it, I can remember. But it hurts just as much today as it did back then. It was a great time in my life. I went through some tough times earlier in my college career and right before I got to college, I was able to throw that aside and concentrate on going to school and playing basketball and then I got drafted after my junior year and there was all that speculation that he’s going to the pros. But I promised my mother that if I started school then I would finish after going to I.U. and dropping out. So I had a lot of things going on but I didn’t let it distract what I was trying to do so I got my education and I got to play for a national championship.

Q. What were some of the most magical and special moments to from the season, from your magical undefeated run that you had?
A. Well I thought the shot that Bobby Heaton hit in New Mexico against New Mexico State was special. I fouled out, Carl Nicks fouled out and they had a one-and-one free throw with about 2 or 3 seconds left and they were up two and he misses it, and Heaton banked one in and then we go into overtime and the guys that really didn’t get to play at all up to the point played great. … Then against Arkansas in another close game Heaton throws up a left-handed shot and it rolls around and falls in so those things stick out and it really had nothing to do with me. Bobby made both of those shots.

Q. Those guys when I talked to them said that you made them all better players and loved practicing with you and they see you diving for the ball and your effort in practice made them think, 'if he is doing it then I’ve got to do it.'
A. Well, that’s the way I play, That’s the way I played in high school, college and even in the professional league but you know those guys were good guys, it's unfortunate at that time there was a lot of jealousy cause everybody wanted to talk to me and they weren’t really getting the interviews but people were coming after me pretty hard all the time. That’s one of the reasons I sort of stepped aside and let the press talk to them. It was always about me, everything was about me and I feel bad about it but there was a lot of jealousy throughout that year I understood it but I didn’t like it, so I took it out on them in practice.

Q. Did the championship loss in college have any impact on you as a player in the NBA?
A. No, not really. The one thing about it you know I have heard all of my life, he’s from a small high school, from a small college then the talk kept coming that he might not be able to get a shot off in the pros or this or that. So when I went to Boston for rookie camp I thought, well we’ll find out and after three days I knew right then that I could be one of the top players in the league and it didn’t take me long. It was pretty amazing to me knowing that throughout my whole career people, no matter what you did, they always said that you couldn’t play at the highest level, It took me three days to figure out that I was going to have absolutely no problem playing against these guys.

Q. Larry, how cool was the homecoming, at the airport, people on the streets?
A. That was one of the best parts. When we left to go out there it was pretty magical, we never expected thousands of people when we got back but it was pretty special. You know I loved Terre Haute, I liked my college, I liked my teammates, so it was really sad when it came to end because I felt pretty comfortable there and of course you want to win the whole thing for them.

Q. Is there anything that happened in your life that makes up for losing that college game?
A. No, No, it’s a killer, I’m telling you. But I knew once we got out there and started playing that we were playing against a different type of team and we all had to be on top of our games to keep it close and we weren’t able to do that.

Q. How did their defensive strategy affect your play?
A. They were long and athletic, you know I could usually pass over guys pretty easy. I knew I was going to get the touches, get my shots, just their strategy of stopping the pass. I played against a team at Bradley and they put three guys on me and I was able to pass the ball and stand in the corner and watch the other guys do all of the work. I had seen all the defenses they had but these guys were just a little bit taller, more athletic.

Q. You had three new starters, a new head coach, a couple of new assistants; how did you have that type of season?
A. I have no clue. We had some tough-minded kids. … Leroy Staley was our eighth man, I thought he was tougher than nails, he played well every game. He played the same way -- he played hard, I thought he was a major key to our success. I thought he was a fine player but he was our eighth man. We had unselfish guys that knew their roles. Brad (Miley), he probably shot 40 percent from the free throw line. Alex (Gilbert) shot under 40 percent so I was always worried that at the end of games that they were going to be put on the line but they never did do it. I thought if anything that would be our downfall.

Q. What decided the game?
A. They came back in the game and they made plays. We got a couple calls where we took charges and they got a couple free throws and the ball back, I mean that’s a killer. I think we did that three times during that game. If those calls went the other way we were right back, right back in it. And if I had hit a couple shots you know, you never know.

Q. Earvin said to this day that you’re the best college player he has ever seen and it was an honor to play against you.
A. Well, that’s very nice but obviously he didn’t see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton and some of the other guys.

Q. He mentioned those but he still said that in his opinion that you were the best and that playing against you made him a better player.
A. We have sort of fed off one another throughout our careers. I would check the paper every day to see what he did. We got to play first because he was on the West Coast so we would try to put up numbers to see if he could match it. Magic was a different kind of player, he was more of a passer than a scorer but later on he started scoring more. Obviously I played against Magic at the height of my career, when we both were at our peak and that was great competition because we drew our teammates into it. There were battles and even in Boston my teammates would talk about the Lakers and throughout the whole year we geared everything from the beginning all the way through to get to the finals and play the Lakers. And if they didn’t make it we were very disappointed because we wanted to play against the best. We played against some good teams but they weren’t the Lakers, so really in '84 playing against them and winning was the best.

Q. You were able to fly under the radar your first three years of college, then the Sports Illustrated cover comes out. Did everything change?
A. Everything changed overnight. … Wish I didn’t do that. It changed our team, going from a pretty quiet 30 points a game and doing what I did to a lot of requests, a lot of photos it just took away from what I felt. I felt very comfortable at Indiana State but after that everything changed. It was just unbelievable. I guess the country couldn’t imagine a kid from a small town that went to I.U. and dropped out and then went to work and then came through all of the tragedies that I have been through to bring a small school to the next level.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »
Good read. I'm too young to have seen his college career, but what a player he was.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
it was once said bird was de strongest,magic was de smartest and jordan was de greatest.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »
Geez, Carolina look bent on making this a 100 point game ... from out de gate

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »
Geez, Carolina look bent on making this a 100 point game ... from out de gate

Hard luck dey Magic yuh bois eh up 2 scratch.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
cutass

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
cutass

that is an understatement..

That is a big team I must say..look for some lottery draft pics.. that was also the president pic. mine too  ;D

:beermug:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 07:19:54 AM »
Barack batting well on de predictions ... he actually went thru the bracket articulating why NC would win and why other teams wouldn't make it ... those in the room say it was impressive.

1]; } ?>