March 28, 2024, 11:05:50 PM

Poll

Who was/is the best PM that ever served the country....

George Chambers.
1 (1.3%)
Patrick Manning.
8 (10.4%)
Basdeo Panday.
15 (19.5%)
ANR Robinson.
19 (24.7%)
Eric Williams.
34 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: T&T Prime Ministers !!  (Read 24248 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Prime Ministers !!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 08:42:43 AM »
haha .......yes boss !!!!

...sometimes we hadda fight a lil bit to get it right.....iz all for the love of T&T in the end (I hope)

............and we all backin' the warriors 100%...ah singin' the chorus "Time fuh Germany"
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 08:55:20 AM »
Just for the record, both AlbertaTrini and I cleared this up via "personal message" and this is what I have to say now....

RE: Sorry for the misunderstanding AlbertaTrini, I ask that you be more specific or clearer in your post in regards to the moderators. When you said "I was responding to the poll posed by the  originator of this thread" I taught you aimed it at me....

Once again, sorry for the misunderstanding...

Continue doing your stuff and thanks for all your contributions to the SW Online.

Regards..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 08:57:37 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 02:16:40 PM »
Flex I never knew you were  Indian, you always just sounded Human to me. Yeh thats it A Trini Human but wait I is a Indian too. I is a West Indian. Look like all ah wee is Indian. Big up all meh Indian brethren, man like Tank, man like River Dog, man like SpoonHead and de rest of de massive. Alberta, I don take de Trini out yuh name stop eat doubles and chinese food nah. eat only what yuh mammy did use to gey yuh wen yuh did small. You wouldn't want to be viewed as a hypocrite amongst the socialites and we are watching you.....
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2005, 06:21:15 PM »
Flex,
And to any others who felt slighted by the " wisecrack," it was an erroneous miscalculations on the impact and the receptivity that one may perceive it to be. If people were faulted , then I stand accused of a grevious error in judgement.

I stand again and again that the intent were the POLL results and not a personal attack on anyone.  Continued success  to all.

I have not met anyone in here nor do I know anyone personally. As far as I am concerned we are one people with a common purpose, resolve and passion; TNT ; the Warriors are  close to our hearts and  when we are shaken, like a 'jap' nest  we react. Rightly so we are strong in our heritage, our land and  who we are as people.

I applaude those who responded in athoughtful and mindful fashion; I cannot control the emotional nor will I subject myself to responding to lewd or public humiliation and 'cussing' of my mother's anatomy. So carry on and : together we aspire together we achieve.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 08:38:10 PM by Tallman »

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005, 08:31:44 PM »
jah like i iz de only man who like patrick :beermug:

You might be right and what a lost soul you are. Check this out!!!

Dear Mr Prime Minister,

I begin by stating the following:

1. I will be receiving a tax relief of approximately $400 per month as a result the tax reforms contained in the Budget.

2. I voted against Mr Panday in the last general elections which was basically a vote for you by default.

Now that the above is clear, I wish to give some reasons why I will be voting against you and your party at the next elections:

- To this date, some 15 years later, you have not condemned the attempted coup of 1990.

- The Muslimeen has been given an opportunity under your Government to operate a quarry in Valencia illegally.

- A lot of the crime in our country appears to be linked to the Muslimeen.

- The State has not pursued the claim of $30 million against the Muslimeen.

- You do not believe that an inquiry into the events of July 1990 will serve any useful purpose.

- You once referred to murders in Trinidad as collateral damage.

- You once said that most kidnappings were not real kidnappings.

- Five months ago, you said the escalation of crime was temporary.

- You are currently telling the nation that we must not allow criminals to disrupt our lives.

- You continue to have Martin Joseph as our National Security Minister.

- You believe that we can have population control by watching more television.

- You once called yourself the Father of the Nation. Now you behave as though you are Jesus Christ.

- You were a member of the government between 1976 to 1986 that squandered our oil wealth.

- You are leader of the present government that is squandering our new oil wealth.

- You believe that throwing money at the population will mask your incompetence.

- You also believe that throwing money at a problem will solve the problem. You will not get to the root of the problem.

- You intend to create 15 new State enterprises. More jobs for the boys to fit square pegs in round holes. No lessons from the past.

- Your fiscal policies do not encourage savings and investment. Instead, they encourage spending. They will also lead to bankruptcy, unemployment and devaluation.

- Your populist policies will fuel inflation and negate the $400 tax relief that I will receive next year. It will also ruin our economy.

- Your party is not representative of our country. You had every opportunity to change this.

- You continue to surround yourself with popular people and not necessarily competent people.

- You will never fire the failed Minister of Education.

- You do not believe that every Tom, Dick and businessman has a democratic right to criticise you and your government, whether or not you and your government have erred.

- You continue to encourage the dependency syndrome which has destroyed the lives of many PNM supporters.

- You and your Government see the problems of Laventille and the East-West corridor as misfortune and not the result of failed PNM policies.

- Your strategies for solving our problems are overheating the economy.

- You intend to import labour from Jamaica despite the fact that a lot of the people we classify as employed do nothing at CEPEP and URP.

I could go on and on but I really don't have the time since the reasons are too numerous to mention.

Linus Brown

Diego Martin

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2005, 11:43:11 PM »
Movar I like Patrick too.  My father did like Patrick I like Patrick  ;)
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2005, 09:17:09 PM »

hahah preacher yuh not easy

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2005, 06:00:31 AM »
I think Panday started off great...... but none is good..... either Manning or Panday none cant help, both smart men.... out of the two though, I will go with Panday.

But who will take over should they resign... I hope NOT Ramesh or Rowley...

We need some new blood and a honest and smart one to.... maybe we should get a Dougla Government....

PS: Great poll Flex, believe it or not, a dam good question and argument here.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 06:01:56 AM by Flex »

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 06:12:47 PM »

eric williams hands down

Offline ArcaneAndrew

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2005, 08:36:55 PM »
Awwwww. Why can't we all get along?  Ent both of them went pres anyway?  I refuse to vote cuz, as a Trini with indian and african background, I would never dream of bringing race into politics.  Sometimes alyuh comments have to be in check, cuz the big ppl does set the example for the little ppl like me.  :rotfl: I plan on running for PM in a couple of years anyway ,so soon you'll be voting for my party.  :rotfl: LOL keep the debate clean and unbiased nah and vote on facts and not on race. ::)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2005, 12:59:14 AM »
My mother always say "Never DISCUSS: Racsim, Religion and Politics" with anybody who is as ignorant as you.

People are just too head strong in their beliefs when it comes to these topics.

Allyuh go have a drink and go tickle something :beermug:

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2005, 04:22:17 AM »
Albert Trini- I wouldnt dare ask you your age...As  I am already so incensed...the political/racial discourse you have presented is from the past and you are trying to play it off as today.  If this is the belief of some Trinidadians living abroad, I can now see why our communities will continue to breed hate amongst our people in Trinidad.  Older people teach there young of hate...You Albert Trini for all yuh write and the intellectual mumbo jumbo, you have failed to answer the question of why you found it CASUAL(without much thought) to attack another race....I wonder if in Alberta,  yuh does go and eat doubles and hangout with yuh Trini Indian partners and attack them about there Indian Heritage.  I wonder if you does talk to dem about BACK AH DAY and MARABELLA.  Man stick to what you know about FOOTBALL...yuh like to motivate d national team ....well yuh should be showing that type of togetherness with yuh Indian and Negro brothers.  You learn in Canada about Multiculturalism yet yuh know thats now how it works in Canada, on d surface it like that...We as Trinidadian people whether yuh have political affiliations or beliefs I say MORE POWER to you, lambasting any POLITICIAN is fine but also a CLASS of people is a different can or worms...".  At the end of the day...we all want Trinidad to qualify for d world cup so dont create another ANTS PATCH....

Leave Marabella alone  :rotfl: :rotfl:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2005, 04:23:08 AM »

I used to ride rola skates with him in Marabella
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 12:12:16 AM »
Trinidad Guardian
Monday 19th February, 2007
Letters

T&T yet to recover from Dr Williams

Citizens in my age group often reminisce about the “bad old days” when citizens lived under the yoke of British colonialism (as Dr Williams used to say) in peace and harmony with each other and nature and slept with doors and windows open, with no fear of being robbed or murdered in their sleep.

Those were the days when citizens were free to walk the streets by day and night without having to keep looking back in fear of bandits or killers.

When people of every creed and race, rich or poor, could drink at the same bar or rum shop free from burglar-proofing and without fear, safe in the knowledge that they would live to see tomorrow.

The days when salaries were small, goods were cheap and banks did not lend money to anyone who did not have money.

When hire purchase had not yet appeared on the scene and people were forced to live within their means and be satisfied with the essential things of life.

Those were also the days when everything seemed to work well and efficiently, public buildings were well maintained and public servants were attentive, courteous and eager to serve.

The days when everyone exchanged a friendly greeting with a smile and was willing to help others less fortunate or in difficulties. When many a motorist carried an extra gallon of gas in the trunk of his car to assist other motorists who had run out of gas on some lonely road far from the nearest gas station, which were few and far between.

The days when individuals did not go about in the dead of night setting their neighbour’s house on fire and burning an entire family to death or executing them in gangland style.

The days when humble and dedicated citizens sat in the House of Representatives with the best interest of the constituents first and foremost in their minds and hearts and not with their own self-interest or that of their party at the top of their agenda.

But then one good day all of that was to rapidly change when a highly educated individual of questionable intelligence arrived on the scene, filled with intense hatred for anything colonial and obsessed with the fact that he was a descendant of a slave, although slavery had been abolished over 100 years previously.

He set about to free his fellow citizens from the evils of slavery and servitude, which did not really exist.

Always displaying a manner of misplaced arrogance, he set out on a path of change for the country and its citizens which, whether deliberate or not, resulted in a severe fracture between the two major ethnic groups in the country, which has continued to widen steadily and increasingly ever since.

During his reign, there ensued a state of fraud, corruption, mismanagement, inefficiency, incompetence, crime and discord among the citizens hitherto unimaginable and which is becoming more rampant with the passage of time.

Unfortunately, the majority of citizens in this country continue to live in a perpetual state of denial and refuse to see the light.

The fact is, however, that if and when they wake up to reality and come to their senses, they will acknowledge, albeit too late, that Eric Eustace Williams was the worst calamity that ever befell this country and one that it will be exceedingly difficult to recover from.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 12:44:27 AM »
I jus vote for Chambers .
He came to be prime minister without any hifalutin seta degrees.
He was most humble and a gentleman.
He never played the race game.
He was never a man of much words.
And last but not least like me he liked blondes.  ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 11:21:38 AM »
Dookeran hmmm ,Well my bro was sick bad ,several times in his life .The last time fathers brother ,introduced him to Dooks <they were friends>,and he had promised to help ,speeding some tings up ,he made my father come to all the meetings and help out ,and vote for them and that asshole never did anything  :rotfl: fool ,my dad figured him for liar .
But he might be a good leader ,me ein't know .

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
wow I didnt realize this thread went this way, as far as I am concerned both panday and manning are idiots, I wish fellahs like dr. Job and Dr.meighoo's party would be in the spotlight, these fellahs would run circles around all these jokers, as far as i am concerned, even though Dooks is not a bonifided leader, panday and manning arent either, so i would have to say that i would cast a vote for dooks oui, 4get unc and pnm, dooks is a bonified presbyterian that has love for all de races and religions in tt, hes far from a racist as my aunt knows him well and as she has told me about him... he also has support from the imams and hindu leaders and of course his christian segment also... However, next time i go down i would like to see if khan and kamal still have confidence in the unc or have lost it, i respect these individuals also immensely bc of my close relations with dem, if they have lost it then unc are indeed in trouble....

God is de BOSS...
Do you really mean Morgan Job? What does being a "bonified" Presbyterian  have to do with anything?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
Eric.

PNM fuh life. 
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »
Robinson said the current crop of PNM, UNC and COP MPs were not upholding TT’s parliamentary traditions. He said the UNC and COP were only opposing for “the sake of opposition” and not advancing any constructive proposals for governance. “As of now, what happens is, it is a continuous attack and hostile vendetta against the Government of the nation. One must allow the Government to govern and oppose in matters where we have a constructive proposal to make. That is the purpose of an opposition. That is how I behaved when I was in opposition in this very Parliament,” he said.

Robinson criticised the PNM for not being as open, accountable or generous as it should be as a government. He said the Government should try its best to make genuine proposals and meet with members of the Opposition. “ I think that is necessary. There must not always be a contest for the population for votes,” Robinson added. He also lamented a lack of “genuine patriotism” by people in TT today.

this iz the observation of the ex prime minister /president ,doh mine alyuh say he ole buh he have enough sense to see what these to party leaders is doin to the country.an iz about time we start putting country before party,den the leaders would know that when we put them there , they are working for us and not for them .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »
Wade Mark is d worst ting walking...........

I never see somebody anti government so, d man is a bonafide bachannalist, is every tuesday you does hear d man mouth in d senate. Every bill d government try to pass he have a problem with, and some of those bills in my eyes are so needed to run a better country and all d man does say is NO NO NO with little credence in his argument. Last few weeks he only quarrelling with the President of the Senate in a most disrespectful way. It just looks so clear that his motives are not geared towards a better Trinidad and Tobago but for a non PNM government, but i guess that is politics 101.

Very sad
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »
Mr. Kavanagh from La Romaine, interesting letter. How insightful of you to blame Williams for the march of time. Perhaps in a subsequent edition you'll regale us with further tales of bliss and willful blindness under colonial rule.

Here's what I suggest in the interim: book a one-way ticket stat. Preferably to a British outpost somewhere in the middle of nowhere that harkens back to your preferred way of life. Or, had you not realized that you were free to make a hasty, unannouced exit in the intervening 50 years?

Offline johnny_ringo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
ERIC WILLIAMS...LOL
PATRICK..lol
PANDAY...lol
Allyuh serious? Most people voting for EW just cause he was the first and he "lead we outta mental slavery". Do allyuh self a favour and read about a fella called DOM BASIL MATHEWS. Trust me ANYBODY coulda done what EW did. He was just a face. Right place at the right time.

Patrick?? lol, come on now people how many BILLIONS this man have to waste before we see how bad a job he really does?

Uncle Bas, welll meh boy i had yuh back, honestly. BUT oh gosh, yuh mean pnm could thief fuh 50 years and cover it up nice nice but u come and get catch in wat , 5 years? If yuh cant thief good then i have NO FAITH IN YOU AS MY PM!!

Robbie..I feel bad fuh yuh. No body seem to give the tobago boy a chance. Don't worry my friend cause you will have the last laugh.

I hope all allyuh trini people understand that the reason why things are so bad now is cause WE allow it to happen. We elected these jokers and WE are the ones who pay the price.
Read Julius Ceasar and think of trinidad...it make plently sense.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »
So johnny ringo, wha yu sayin? we have been led out of mental slavery? You know ... it being that easy and all ...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2007, 06:34:36 AM »
Basdeo Panday is better suited to the rum shop than the Parliamentary chamber.He and his party are a destructive force.

Offline Crissy D

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
Patrick ain't no good & neither is Panday..... Boat ah dem old & have no passion for the job anymore, iz about personal gains for those two. The almighty dollar & the sweet taste of power! We need some new horses on the track. Ah tired ah the sh*t wit two ah dem. All who want to vote & fight for two people who clearly don't give ah f@*k about non ah we.... Go strong!  >:(
If yuh have it..........flaunt it!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Keith Rowley makes a few direct prescriptions for dealing with crime problem
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
Keith Rowley makes a few direct prescriptions for dealing with crime problem in Trinidad and Tobago.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHkJuNQywDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VHkJuNQywDc</a>
Excerpts from a speech by Dr.Keith Rowley in HI-LO carpark on February 26, 2013.....
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
Panday: Manning has the right to run
"If the people do not want him, well, he pays the price for that."
By Sue-Ann-Wayow

FORMER Prime Minister Basdeo Panday says he sees no problem with Patrick Manning's decision to offer himself as a nominee to be screened for the San Fernando East seat he has held since 1971.

On Monday night, Manning, the country's longest serving MP indicated his willingness to offer himself again as the People's National Movement (PNM) representative for the constituency after the three nominees were not chosen during the PNM's screening process for candidates last week.

Yesterday, Panday told the Express: "The democratic principles are quite simply, if Mr Manning wishes to contest the elections and the people want him, democracy demands that he has a right to go up for elections. The people will determine whether they want him or not. I thought that was the democratic process myself but I don't know why it is causing so much problems."

Some constituents, while indicating support for Manning as MP said he should not contest the election given his recent health status.

Manning, addressing supporters during a cottage meeting in Pleasantville said: " As the new year turned, I observed that I have made tremendous, dramatic, positive strides with my health. And it continues. My main concern has been my speech. But my speech today is far better than it has been in the recent past. In short, the news on the health front, for me, is very, very good. I, too, am astonished. "

Panday said: "I don't have a personal opinion in this matter. My opinion is that we do what is democratic, what ought to be done. The man has a right. Why should he not exercise his rights if he wants to? If the people do not want him, well, he pays the price for that. "

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »

A look into the life of a leader: Dr. Eric Eustace Williams

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SK04GPRvr3E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SK04GPRvr3E</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2015, 12:26:23 AM »

Great piece by Ralph Maharaj on PM Manning.  :beermug:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Thank-you-Sir-292126681.html

Thank you, Sir
By Ralph Maraj

Like Keith Rowley, my life too would have turned out differently had I not met Patrick Manning. In 1988, he afforded me the privilege of being on a team working closely with him to return the PNM to government. That team included Lenny Saith, Dr Rowley, Ken Valley, Augustus Ramrekersingh, Colm Imbert and later, John Eckstein. It was a thrilling time, adrenalin charged. Manning inspired us all. When we won in 1991, he appointed me minister of foreign affairs. 

There was also high drama. In 1995, I learnt via television he had removed me as foreign minister and appointed me minister in the Office of the Prime Minister. I refused to take up the appointment, causing turbulence in the government and I was subsequently appointed minister of public utilities. When speaker of the house, Occah Seapaul, was placed under house arrest, I resigned from the cabinet. Shortly after, I switched allegiance to the United National Congress and then resigned from the Parliament. On my last day, I told the House of Representatives, recorded in Hansard, that my resignation as member for San Fernando West was “the inevitable consequence of my decision to resign from the People’s National Movement, the party on whose behalf I had fought and won the seat. I am leaving the House because I am leaving the party. Having decided to leave the party I am honour bound to leave the Parliament and I do so out of respect for the people of Trinidad and Tobago.”
Manning and I parted company for six years but became allies again in 2001 when Ramesh Maharaj, Trevor Sudama and I left the second Panday administration protesting against corruption, precipitating a general election which returned the PNM to power. Thereafter, I was a major speech writer for PM Manning for ten years. In the end, I ended up serving with him for almost 17 of his 25 years as a pivotal figure in our country. I am extremely grateful for that tremendous experience.

Trinidad and Tobago should also be grateful to Patrick Manning. Thus far, he has been our most outstanding prime minister after Eric Williams. In 1991, he met dire conditions. We had a dying economy, the highest level of unemployment ever, over 35 per cent of the people in poverty, IMF conditionalities presiding, and the country’s psyche damaged by the attempted coup of 1990. The nation was stuck and stalled.
Having prepared in opposition, Manning moved resolutely towards the modernisation of the economy, dismantling barriers to trade and investment, rationalising state enterprises and floating the currency. He initiated the LNG industry which has fuelled national development ever since. Confidence and foreign investment returned, and after ten years, our economy grew in 1994 and became increasingly strong for over 15 years after that. Between 2001 and 2007, under Manning, economic growth averaged 8.3 per cent. By 2010, the economy had tripled in size from $55 billion to over $165 billion and attracted more than US$12 billion in foreign investment. Reserves increased to US$11 billion and the Heritage and Stabilisation Fund grew to $19 billion, 13 times more than in 2001.

The prosperity percolated throughout. We achieved historic levels of employment, a 100 per cent increase in per capita income, lower taxation, tax exemption for 300,000 low income earners and increased wages and pensions. Poverty levels dropped by half to 16.7 per cent by 2010.
Patrick Manning established the UTT and GATE, made tertiary education free and increased university enrolment from 9,000 in 2001 to over 50,000 in 2010. Also, over 150,000 individuals acquired technical skills, over 20,000 housing units were built for lower income families; and over 600,000 persons benefited from free medicines for common ailments. Manning built the NAPA, SAPA, Hyatt Hotel, international financial centre, government campus buildings, the Chancery Lane facility, the Churchill Roosevelt/Uriah Butler overpass and the Prime Minister’s Residence and Diplomatic Centre among others. He established the water taxi service, the waterfront project, the Brian Lara Promenade and much more. He left office with much in the pipeline including the rapid rail, an aluminium smelter and off-shore patrol vessels to fight the drug trade. Diversification was underway with plants for Melamine and Urea ammonium nitrate, growth in the information industries and new targeted areas: film, entertainment, printing and packaging and merchant marine. And, most importantly, under Patrick Manning, for the first time in our history, former government officials, including a prime minister and cabinet ministers, were charged for massive corruption. 
Manning can depart the political stage assured history will salute him. The entire nation should say, “thank you, Sir.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »

Remembering PM Dr Williams 34 years after his death. UWI hosted an event to celebrate his life yesterday.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Eric-Williams-Remembered--2780---298083441.html

1]; } ?>