March 28, 2024, 05:08:54 AM

Poll

Who was/is the best PM that ever served the country....

George Chambers.
1 (1.3%)
Patrick Manning.
8 (10.4%)
Basdeo Panday.
15 (19.5%)
ANR Robinson.
19 (24.7%)
Eric Williams.
34 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: T&T Prime Ministers !!  (Read 24242 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T Prime Ministers !!
« on: October 02, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
From an overall stand point, who do you feel did more for Trinbago.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Prime Ministers !!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:04:30 PM »
WHO VOTED FOR PANDAY MUST BE ON CRACK ; the father of them all is Eric Williams; a man of principles who  took us from a mental enslavery to the world of possibilities. A man who created a multi ethnic and multi diverse party in the face of rising racial strife from Capeldeo and the DLP.

In the initial party structure; Eric Williams had Kamaludin Mohammed, Mahabir;  in his party stuructre.
How could one put Pandey in the same class; a man who made public proclamations to divide the country along racial lines and if people research his Union roots you would find his aversion to non indians. A man who proclaimed he would sleep with the devil to acclaim power.
 Like I said   for Pandey to  achieve these votes  people have to be of a persuasion or of an age group who did not live through the turmoils of forging a country  when the colonial powers vacated the land and the wealth. They left with no supportive or transitional  structures ; we inherited a goverance and a system of doing things and it was trial by error.

Those who came after have sat on the sidelines and critisized all their lives; when they came into power it was endless corruption and appointments; The government has been in shambles since then and  the struggles to recovery has been marked by an oppositon whose willingness to oppose change is bent soley on bringing about the demise of the government only to seek a self adoration and thirst for power. Is this  the man we want to rally our leadership around? Is this the man  to take us to new heights?

Peopel need to be informed  electorates rather than ones who have been  roused by emotional appeal and by  the ignorance of racial strife. One nation One people under the sun must  ressurect the sense of unity and togetherness so as to forge new bonds in  moving this country out of the economic , social, cultural doldurms which we now find ourselves. EMPHATICALLY  PANDAY IS NOT THE MAN FOR THIS TASK!!!!

It matters little the  ethnic background of our leaders, what matters most is their ability to advocated fo  the individual citizen regardless of racial origin. For years Forbes Burham ruled Guyana country with the reverse in population demographics to Trinidad; then Chedii Jargan ho this wish to lead. These leaders have long gone but the  population  those of today are trying as they  like to embroil the populos into a corrisive thinking that would  send us back as oppose to put on a progressive path. SAY NO TO PANDAY!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 06:23:15 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »
Alberta,
If I follow the news correct....I doh think Panday leading the UNC into the next election.  I think it supposed to be Dookeran pending the outcome of some party election.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 11:12:29 PM »
dcs,
 ah hearing  and reading similar news. I was responding to the poll posed by the  originator of this thread. For those who  in their opinion voted for Panday, over Eric Williams.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 07:54:24 AM »
I was responding to the poll posed by the originator of this thread.

FYI..... I didn't vote..... I normally dont when I post a poll and, if I did then it's none of your dam concerned or business, I could dam well vote for who I want as any one here...

AlbertaTrini, if you have a personal problem with me or my posts, send me a message and we shall clear it up. If you continue to accuse me or, attack me in any form or sort in public then you will leave me no choice but to take further actions, consider this my "last" warning to you.

I allow many to post as they like without interfering to much, please refrain as this is just another topic for many to voice their opinion and so on. You have something against Mr. Panday (I could careless about any Politican), so be it, that's your view and that's what this thread is all about, for people to voice their opinion about the topic at hand.

Next time please take your sarcastic/personal attacks where you take your check or find something else in Canada to do if you have to much time on your hands.

>:(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:32:37 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
To Albert Trini
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 08:22:41 AM »
To Albert Trini- I am not quite sure what your riff is but apparently hickville,Alberta must be real nice and cold

1 WHO VOTED FOR PANDAY MUST BE ON CRACK FROM INDIA!!!!! 

Whether you respect or disrespect a politician I cannot understand where the ANALOGY "CRACK FROM INDIA" comes from. 

2the father of them all is Eric Williams; a man of principles who  took us from a mental enslavery to the world of possibilities. A man who created a multi ethnic and multi diverse party in the face of rising racial strife from Capeldeo and the DLP.

-Didnt Eric Williams also call Indians a RECALCITRANT PEOPLE.  ????

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 09:19:06 AM »
AlbertaTrini !!! I vote for Panday, do me something yuh stinking mother c**t....

f**k PNM, f**k Patrick Manning and f**k Grenadian lover Eric Williams...

Do me something.....

Yuh jackass and a half.....

Calling man crack head from India, yuh f**king baggie head from Camaroon.. how de f**k India come in this.... we is Trini, f**k India and Africa... yuh ass hole....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:33:31 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »
Classic example of politics dividing the people.

Flex, I don't think that Alberta was saying that you voted for Panday. I think he was listing the originator (you), and the people who voted for panday as the two different sets of people he was addressing his post towards.

That being said- Alberta, in your attempt to be eloquent by typing a boat load of fluff, you really said nothing.......Thanks for the semi-literate pep rally speech but you succeeded to do nothing more than spew hate. The poll asked who you opine on who did the most for the country....Such a question doesn't warrant you to make such disrespectful judgements on the morals of people who have as much the right to have an opinion as you do....People are people and perpectives will differ...

But if you believe that attacking the character of men equal to you in a rediculous rant and rave is going to gain your opinion any respect, you are way behind the game............Those same people will see you as nothing more than an idiot....

Did Eric Williams teach you that ?

Tells us what happened with the GDP, Inflation, Unemployment, the Budget deficit, the Balance of Trade......Tell us what he did for the community, how he raised social awareness, what he did with the defense force and crime etc......give us some stats on those political and social issues and then give us your opinion.....that would gain your opinion respect..

Save the rant and rave for the soca monarch

State facts if you know any, and give an educated opinion. It's that simple.

Latapy for President !!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 10:28:37 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 10:23:46 AM »
Beenhakker for Prime Minister.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 11:09:31 AM »
Wayyysss.

Allyuh need to cool out.

It too early in this thread for allyuh to get on bad so.

No discussion take place about comparing the men yet propaganda running the route.

Allyuh really swear by them politicians enough to fall out.

Nah man.
I eh like this Flex Alberta fall out nah.....allyuh fix dat behind the scenes nah.
ALberta shud be free to say what he want even if is wrangling with the moderators in a triniman vs. TrueTrini styling.

For blasted politicians.  Nah man.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 12:06:45 PM »
Flex, I don't think that Alberta was saying that you voted for Panday. I think he was listing the originator (you), and the people who voted for panday as the two different sets of people he was addressing his post towards.

Alberta only mentioned the words "originator of the thread" to explain to DCS why he was saying say no to Panday and not Dookeran because Panday's name was the one inlcuded in the poll.   Then he mentions those who voted for Panday in a seperate sentence.  I don't see any personal attack on Flex in that  ???

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »
SHOTTA FOR PRESIDENT
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 12:25:34 PM »

Alberta only mentioned the words "originator of the thread" to explain to DCS why he was saying say no to Panday and not Dookeran because Panday's name was the one inlcuded in the poll.   Then he mentions those who voted for Panday in a seperate sentence.  I don't see any personal attack on Flex in that  ???

Agreed..........

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 02:45:07 PM »

Agreed..........

Ah out ahda !!!
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 02:59:11 PM »

Gotta agree....Flex  I think u took AT's comments out of context...You real "flex" yuhself dey yess.

Damn...u do something I didn't think was possible...u shut up Alberta Trini... ;)

One more thing...Eric and Panday both full of shit....THAT is thier legacy.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 03:52:30 PM »
dcs,
 ah hearing  and reading similar news. I was responding to the poll posed by the  originator of this thread. For those who  in their opinion voted for Panday, over Eric Williams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My initial response is directed to the 'POLL not the preson who posted it!!!! Let's make that critically clear.It asked who did more for Trinibago: I stated my response. One cultural malise we have is an inability to discuss politics in an objective way with out personalizing it to ethnicity.

In my closing statement I said: It matters little the  ethnic background of our leaders, what matters most is their ability to advocated fo  the individual citizen regardless of racial origin.

I am simply expressing my views about one of the  individuals in the polls. In no way am I directing any  disparaging remarks to the person who  created the POLL. As a matter of fact, I believe that it is worthy of discussion. My reaction to the results is based on the number of  votes one could muster despite the perceived  ill intentions. I could have said the same for Manning but he did  not even registered a vote at that time.

So before folks overreact, lets get objective and present views in a manner  that it is intended. Furthermore, I am not psychic, to know individual's political affinities; nor would that matter to me one way or the other. It does not divide me from that individual nor does it alter my quality of life in any way. A person may vote out of their own volition for a party or political leader.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:32:50 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 04:06:38 PM »
Alberta

The issue that people had with your post was the line where you mentioned people on crack from india.....

Please comment on that.....and why the referrence to india.......

On one hand you seem to admonish racism, and then you used what seemed to be a racist pun to insult people who voted for a prime minister of indian decent.

You also talked about people being emotionally influenced in their choice of political party, and yet your post came off like a pure pep rally speech......very little fact and substance....and an overabundance of useless emotional fluff.

Think about that and then you might understand why you sounded like a fool (hypocritical too)........
 and why people had a big issue with your post..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:23:49 PM by kicker »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
Kicker,
In response to your comments not that I have personally called anyone a 'fool' nor have I directed any  personal attacks at you. Have you ever considered the notion of Hyperbole? Have you ever heard of Crack being associated with India? so you need to contextualize the opening of any editorial as a'shocker' to entice and aroue the emotions of the reader.

Secondly, to  say that the anology had a racial  bias is pure speculative. If Manning was leading in the poll, I could have invariably said 'Crack from Africa'!! On the other hand if you considered that some of those who voted for the said individual may not be of the same ethnicity as that politician, would the opening make a differance?

Even though some of our political parties may have a certain proclivity for  voters along ethnic lines, in a nation like Trinidad, the voting results indicate that  not everyone vote according to the leader's ethnicity. A multiethnic nation cannot survive on political principles which are based on that types of premise. It would be disaster and utterly ludicrous.

To chastised my  posting is  a matter of  your perogative; to chastise me the person without knowing who I am is another. However , thi sis always the case when one goes with views in a public forum. The irony here is that had Manning being out front in this poll at the given time, I more than likely would have shared my opinions on his leadership.

I fail to see the  analogy of a 'pep rally' as you stated. And reflect on my intent.... I did not say no to the  political affliation of the individual but No to the  said individual. .Thanks for taking the time to seek clarity.

P.S. you allude to 'emotional stuff' the question asked who do you FEEL...... not to substantiate by facts and research which leader did the most. So what if yuh eh argree with meh feelings?

I have no malice for anyone and  ah have no heart feelings aganist anyone. Ah live peacefully with everyone; if we cyar argree on a leader so be it; you have your views I have mine; at the end of the day it will not change who you are nor will I disrespect you.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:37:07 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 04:29:04 PM »
 :rotfl: Look like is good friday
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 05:01:19 PM »
Kicker,
In response to your comments not that I have personally called anyone a 'fool' nor have I directed any  personal attacks at you. Have you ever considered the notion of Hyperbole? Have you ever heard of Crack being associated with India? so you need to contextualize the opening of any editorial as a'shocker' to entice and aroue the emotions of the reader.

Secondly, to  say that the anology had a racial  bias is pure speculative. If Manning was leading in the poll, I could have invariably said 'Crack from Africa'!! On the other hand if you considered that some of those who voted for the said individual may not be of the same ethnicity as that politician, would the opening make a differance?

Even though some of our political parties may have a certain proclivity for  voters along ethnic lines, in a nation like Trinidad, the voting results indicate that  not everyone vote according to the leader's ethnicity. A multiethnic nation cannot survive on political principles which are based on that types of premise. It would be disaster and utterly ludicrous.

To chastised my  posting is  a matter of  your perogative; to chastise me the person without knowing who I am is another. However , thi sis always the case when one goes with views in a public forum. The irony here is that had Manning being out front in this poll at the given time, I more than likely would have shared my opinions on his leadership.

I fail to see the  analogy of a 'pep rally' as you stated. And reflect on my intent.... I did not say no to the  political affliation of the individual but No to the  said individual. .Thanks for taking the time to seek clarity.

P.S. you allude to 'emotional stuff' the question asked who do you FEEL...... not to substantiate by facts and research which leader did the most. So what if yuh eh argree with meh feelings?

I have no malice for anyone and  ah have no heart feelings aganist anyone. Ah live peacefully with everyone; if we cyar argree on a leader so be it; you have your views I have mine; at the end of the day it will not change who you are nor will I disrespect you.

Thanks

I never called you a fool. I proposed a reason why you "sounded" like a fool....

W.R.T. your "crack from india" line.....justify it as you wish....it was insensitive....provoke as you may, but remember you get what you give.

You ended your post with "SAY NO TO PANDAY", and still fail to understand my pep-rally analogy.....have you ever been to a pep rally ?

I am in no way chastising you. I chastise your post. But I shouldn't expect anything else, as your "provoking of reactions" simply mirrors a common Trini trait used in politics- instead of dealing with issues, and justifying a position by facts, we just feed our audiences with diarrhea and hope they digest it with ignorance. (how's that for some figurative language ?)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:03:00 PM by kicker »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 05:04:16 PM »
Very interesting reading for those who dare. My fellow Trinbagonians, I hope that we have moved from a past and legacy  of divisiveness and we do not allow leaders who are bent solely on acquiring personal power to  manipulate our thinking for their own personal gains.
 Â                           
                                          The Road to Independence
Caribbean Islands Table of Contents

Self-government was gradually increased between 1946 and 1961. The elections of those years served as dress rehearsals for independence. From 1946 to 1955, East Indians were the best organized group in Trinidad and Tobago. Comprising only 35 percent of the population in 1946, East Indians united under the leadership of Bhadese S. Maraj and won almost half of the elected seats in the Legislative Council that year. They used their votes to finally secure the legal right to marry and bury their dead according to Hindu and Muslim rites. Since their arrival in Trinidad more than a century earlier, many East Indians had been classified as illegitimate because no unregistered marriage was considered legal for inheritance purposes (see Population, this ch.).

Political parties remained fragmented in the 1950 elections, often united, as one historian has put it, by nothing more than a "common passion for the spoils of office." One hundred forty-one candidates contested the eighteen elected seats; the single largest bloc of seats on the Legislative Council, eight out of twenty-six, was captured by an alliance between the "Butler party" and East Indian leaders. The British and the non-East Indians disliked the idea of having Butler and his supporters come to power. After the 1950 elections, none of Butler's party was chosen to sit on the Executive Council, the result being that Gomes practically ran the government. Within the restrictions of his semiautonomous government, Gomes tried to function as a mediator between capital and labor and to placate both Britain and Trinidad and Tobago. He had limited success, however, and constitutional reform was postponed until 1955, with elections scheduled for the following year.

The election of 1956 was a watershed in the political history of Trinidad and Tobago because it determined the course of the country for the next thirty years. Gomes was defeated, and a new party, the PNM, captured power and held it until 1986. PNM founder and leader Eric Williams dominated the political scene from 1956 until his death in 1981.

Williams was a native Trinidadian who had spent almost twenty years abroad in Britain and the United States. Although his family was poor, Williams had received a very good education by winning scholarships and had earned a First Class Oxford degree. Williams's academic prowess set the standard for all Trinidadian and Tobagonian political leaders through the late 1980s. While at Oxford, Williams was subjected to a number of racial slights, and he also suffered racial discrimination when he worked for the Anglo-American Caribbean Commission in Washington from 1948 to 1955, an organization created in 1942 to coordinate nonmilitary aspects of Caribbean policy. This discrimination profoundly and permanently affected Williams's outlook on life and his politics. He was a man who knew himself to be the intellectual equal of educated people in Oxford, London, and Washington, and he felt that he had not been accepted as such. Returning to Trinidad in 1948 as deputy chairman of the Caribbean Research Council of the Caribbean Commission, Williams involved himself in cultural, educational, and semipolitical activities and became well known. In 1956 he decided to enter politics and to forge a political party, the PNM. The PNM was created by middle-class professionals who were mainly but not exclusively black. Its main support came from the black community, although Williams was also able to attract some whites and East Indians. Williams gained a public constituency and a loyal party following by giving lectures in Woodford Square, the main square in Port-of-Spain. His lectures on Caribbean history were attended by thousands, and Williams dubbed his interaction with the crowd the "University of Woodford Square." There, Williams forged a bond with the people that remained even after his death twenty-five years later. Trinidadians and Tobagonians were proud to have an international scholar in their midst. Williams gave them a sense of national pride and confidence that no other leader was able to match. His charisma and leadership made it possible for the new party to be independent from existing political organizations and from trade unions. PNM leaders envisioned a broad national party that would include both capitalists and laborers; as such, the PNM rejected socialism and welcomed foreign capital investment.

In 1956 the PNM captured a slim majority of the elected seats on the Legislative Council, receiving 39.8 percent of the vote. Butler's party and the TLP split the other elected seats. The British governor, who controlled five appointed seats and two ex officio seats, filled all of these with men acceptable to the PNM, thus giving the party a majority of two-thirds of the seats on the Legislative Council. Because the British were hoping to form a Caribbean federation or, as a second choice, to launch viable independent countries, it was in their interest to support Williams, a charismatic black leader who had founded a strong political party, who had international education and experience, and who believed in private domestic and foreign investment. Between 1956 and 1962, Williams consolidated his political base and resolved two very important issues: federation and the presence of United States bases on Trinidad.

The British created the West Indies Federation in 1958 (see The West Indies Federation, 1958-62, ch. 1). During the next four years, ten island nations, including Trinidad and Tobago, struggled without success to make the federation into a government. The two largest nations, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica, had opposing viewpoints; the former advocated a strong federal government, whereas the latter preferred a weak one. Trinidad and Tobago, with its higher revenues, preferred representation according to financial contribution, but Jamaica, with its larger population, wanted representation on the basis of population. After Jamaica decided in September 1961 not to remain in the federation, Trinidad and Tobago also decided to withdraw, not wishing to be tied to eight small, poor islands for which it would be financially responsible.

Despite British assistance and Williams's compelling personality, the PNM did not come to rule Trinidad and Tobago without a struggle. A number of groups united to oppose the PNM in the federal elections of 1958 under the banner of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP). Once again the campaign became racially polarized as the DLP attracted the East Indians and others who were left out of the PNM. East Indians felt that their cultural identity might be lost if they did not stick together. They deplored marriages between East Indians and blacks because they considered blacks to have an inferior culture; East Indians were less hostile to marriage with whites. Blacks also looked with disfavor on intermarriage with East Indians. In addition, the East Indian middle class, which had developed since the 1930s, seemed a threat to the black professionals who were just coming to power. The PNM increased its share of the vote in the 1958 election from 39.8 percent in 1956 to 48 percent; under the winner-take-all rule, however, the DLP won 6 out of the 10 contested seats, as most of its victories came in regions where the East Indians had an absolute majority.

The PNM profited from the British policy of granting increasing self-government to Trinidad and Tobago. Cabinet government was introduced in 1959; the governor no longer presided over the Executive Council, the Executive Council and chief minister were renamed cabinet and premier (the preindependence title for prime minister), and the premier had the right to appoint and dismiss ministers. Mindful of their slim majority in the 1958 election, leaders of the PNM determined to take whatever steps were necessary to win the 1961 elections and be the party to lead Trinidad and Tobago into independence. The PNM decided to use the issue of the withdrawal of the United States from the Chaguaramas naval base to unify the country and solidify their political base. In party rallies in 1959 and 1960, Williams pledged that the flag of Trinidad and Tobago would soon fly over Chaguaramas and also declared independence from Britain and from the 1941 Lend-Lease Agreement. Declaring that Trinidad and Tobago would not exchange British colonialism for the United States variety, Williams rallied the country to oust the United States from Chaguaramas and to support the PNM.

When British prime minister Harold Macmillan came to Port-of- Spain in June 1960, he told the government that he would open negotiations between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago over Chaguaramas and that Trinidad and Tobago would be an independent participant. Once Williams had won the right for Trinidad and Tobago to sit as an equal with the United States and Britain, he cooled his anti-imperialist rhetoric. The December 1960 settlement gave the United States base rights until 1977 and granted Trinidad and Tobago US$30 million in United States Agency for International Development assistance money for road construction and education. The United States closed the naval base at Chaguaramas in 1967 (see Historical Background, ch. 7).

The December 1961 election, which took place after Trinidad and Tobago had received full internal self-government within the West Indies Federation, was characterized by the use of racial appeals by both parties. The main constitutional issue was the drawing of electoral boundaries. Pro-PNM supporters broke up DLP meetings with stone throwing; the government declared a state of emergency in areas where East Indians were a majority and called out 3,000 police. The PNM used its government leadership to good advantage. Responding to labor unrest, Williams gave all government workers a raise during the summer of 1961. He also moved politically to the right, purging some left-wing supporters who had been prominent in the Chaguaramas fight. The PNM profited from the fact that the DLP was not a unified party. Its leader, Maraj, had been ill, and younger East Indians felt that his lack of education was a liability when contrasted with Williams. During the DLP political infighting, the new generation of East Indian professionals chose R.N. Capildeo, a high-caste Hindu, to head the DLP. Although Capildeo was highly educated, a Ph.D. and a fully qualified barrister, he lacked Williams's ability to appeal to the masses. Eighty-eight percent of the voters turned out for the December 1961 election; in a vote that largely followed ethnic lines, Williams and the PNM won with 57 percent. Reflecting the ethnic split, Williams filled the twelve cabinet slots with eight blacks, two whites, and two East Indians--one Christian and one Muslim. Appointees for the newly created Senate followed similar lines. As Trinidad and Tobago faced independence, the black middle class was firmly in power.

Caribbean Islands Table of Contents

Source: U.S. Library of Congress
 (http://countrystudies.us/caribbean-islands/40.htm)

For further reading, you may find this  interesting: http://www.guyana.org/features/conflicts_indiansandblacks.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:17:28 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 12:05:31 AM »
On a lighter note..how come nobody vote for Chambers?

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 12:53:33 AM »
Albert Trini- I wouldnt dare ask you your age...As  I am already so incensed...the political/racial discourse you have presented is from the past and you are trying to play it off as today.  If this is the belief of some Trinidadians living abroad, I can now see why our communities will continue to breed hate amongst our people in Trinidad.  Older people teach there young of hate...You Albert Trini for all yuh write and the intellectual mumbo jumbo, you have failed to answer the question of why you found it CASUAL(without much thought) to attack another race....I wonder if in Alberta,  yuh does go and eat doubles and hangout with yuh Trini Indian partners and attack them about there Indian Heritage.  I wonder if you does talk to dem about BACK AH DAY and MARABELLA.  Man stick to what you know about FOOTBALL...yuh like to motivate d national team ....well yuh should be showing that type of togetherness with yuh Indian and Negro brothers.  You learn in Canada about Multiculturalism yet yuh know thats now how it works in Canada, on d surface it like that...We as Trinidadian people whether yuh have political affiliations or beliefs I say MORE POWER to you, lambasting any POLITICIAN is fine but also a CLASS of people is a different can or worms...".  At the end of the day...we all want Trinidad to qualify for d world cup so dont create another ANTS PATCH....

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 02:43:14 AM »
I think all you guys (arrow, VB and dsc) have it wrong.... Alberta Trini directed part to the  originator of this thread, read the post again. I think this beef was a build up from the last time when Flex told him to keep all the football scores in one thread and AT didn't like it, so he came back in an in-direct approach to make Flex look bad and this thread was a perfect excuse to do so, read his reply below, not the first reply he made but the one he replied dsc after..

dcs,
 ah hearing and reading similar news. I was responding to the poll posed by the originator of this thread. For those who in their opinion voted for Panday, over Eric Williams.

KEY WORD: I was responding to the poll posed by the originator of this thread.....

And why did he have to call Indians born in T&T crack heads from India because they or some may vote for Panday. Why did he have to go so far....

PS: Flex and Tallman is of two different race, but both from Trinbago and they pull together on this forum for us and T&T football, that should say a lot.... Unity is strength...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:49:19 AM by Flex »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 07:22:17 AM »
Sando,
You are dead wrong!!!!!! You are asumining that all who voted for the siad individual is of the same ethnicity.

The comment was directed at the POLL.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 07:55:44 AM »
WOW.. LETS Love one ah nodda... damn!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 08:12:41 AM »
KEY WORD: I was responding to the poll posed by the originator of this thread.....

Dat mus be de longest key word in the dictionary

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 08:18:37 AM »

Dat mus be de longest key word in the dictionary

haha....and I thought it was supercalafragalisticespialadocious.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 08:22:03 AM »
jah like i iz de only man who like patrick :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 08:32:06 AM »
I have the solution! Let us all join in a chorus of "Time Fuh Germany", come on now let us sing:
"Gimme d Red, White , and Black" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Laaarrrrd! This is tension before one of the most important fixtures on the Germany Campaign Calendar, I hope this divison here is not symbolic of anything to do with the warriors. :'( :'( :'( :'(

1]; } ?>