April 17, 2024, 06:34:38 PM

Author Topic: Pep's Barcelona 2008-09 Team is the best footballing team I've ever seen  (Read 3966 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
exhibit 1: The Quantity of Goals:

Look at the goal difference

exhibit 2: The Quality of Goals:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfCNpHWpYjo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfCNpHWpYjo</a>

I submit that no team in football (except maybe arsenal) would have the patience to pass a ball like that from in the 6 yard box!

I don't care if they don't win a piece of silverware for the season.

I don't think i've ever seen a team play this well in my lifetime! Its been a joy to watch.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big side is big side. i am  a fan of the game and win lose or draw barca entertains me.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
they are very fluid..but their defense is weak and they have raped La Liga which has many spaces and defensive flaws...In Europe they have played 1 good side and 1 decent side...Vs Decent side aka Bayern...Bayern attack all times and got found out

Vs good side aka Chelsea..Chelsea found them out by deploying a very defensive game and frustrating Barca similar to Utd the season before...but Barca still managed to have good chances and kept the ball well

The first real assesment that will change my opinion that Barca can be better than Utd Chelsea and Liverpool will occur on Wednesday...if they beat Chelsea in Stamford Bridge I will admit they are the best team in the world at the moment...

I will admit however the are the best attacking team in the world at the moment... We'll see if it can be the overall deal on Wednesday

I'll be backing Chelsea...f**k barca and la liga

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
they are very fluid..but their defense is weak and they have raped La Liga which has many spaces and defensive flaws...In Europe they have played 1 good side and 1 decent side...Vs Decent side aka Bayern...Bayern attack all times and got found out

Vs good side aka Chelsea..Chelsea found them out by deploying a very defensive game and frustrating Barca similar to Utd the season before...but Barca still managed to have good chances and kept the ball well

The first real assesment that will change my opinion that Barca can be better than Utd Chelsea and Liverpool will occur on Wednesday...if they beat Chelsea in Stamford Bridge I will admit they are the best team in the world at the moment...

I will admit however the are the best attacking team in the world at the moment... We'll see if it can be the overall deal on Wednesday

even as a chelsea fan..i don't think chelsea found out anything..i think it was case of submission..they knew barca could tear them to shreds if they played any different...chelsea does not have the edge in that tie bcuz they failed to score...

the defend alot better than u give them credit for..their backline is suspect..BUT AS  team they pressure well..and they maintain possession..it's no surprise they conceded the fewest goals in la liga....

Barca are playing the game it should be played..they deserve the champion's league....

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Their defense isn't weak- it's just overshadowed by their attacking flair.

Barca defends very well...a very collective way of pressuring the ball.

They made one or two errors at the back today, but all in all they've been good defensively this season.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't think i've ever seen a team play this well in my lifetime! Its been a joy to watch.

How about Madrid under Del Bosque? One example being away vs. Man Utd in the CL...I remember my mouth was open dat whole game
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:20:32 PM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

How about Madrid under Del Bosque? One example being away vs. Man Utd in the CL...I remember my mouth was open dat whole game

People tend to get caught up in the moment.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile

What a joy that was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FOdoYKcEc

I don't know if any other opposition player has ever gotten a standing ovation at OT - Ronaldo was just magnificent that night  :beermug:

As for the topic at hand, I haven't seen the highlights from El Classico yet, but I'm enjoying the posts above  :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfCNpHWpYjo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfCNpHWpYjo</a>

I submit that no team in football (except maybe arsenal) would have the patience to pass a ball like that from in the 6 yard box!

yes this team is very pleasing to watch and play football the way I like to see it played.
Cruyff's (as coach) Barcelona  team were an exceptional passing team and played a very similar game, with only three foreigners I may add.

But to date  :notworthy: :notworthy: Please please Barca don't change, you are a savior to the beautiful game.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile

even as a chelsea fan..i don't think chelsea found out anything..i think it was case of submission..they knew barca could tear them to shreds if they played any different...chelsea does not have the edge in that tie bcuz they failed to score...

the defend alot better than u give them credit for..their backline is suspect..BUT AS  team they pressure well..and they maintain possession..it's no surprise they conceded the fewest goals in la liga....

Barca are playing the game it should be played..they deserve the champion's league....

Well said Arazi!

To me Barca in d driver's seat becuz altho we defense lil terrible..we didnt concede at home!! All we need is ah goal scorin draw now...so is up to the attackers to go to d Bridge and do what dey does best (Scotland)  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Chelsea could never come out to play football against we and win...so dey only hope is tuh pack it in like d 1st leg and hope dey score from some set piece....dis Madrid maulin erase all doubts (if dey had any) concernin if dey could play a normal game and be successful against we....but anyway we bound tuh score in d bridge so dey goose cook!!

EPL FANS: LONDON BRIDGE IS ABOUT TO FALL DOWN!!
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As a footballer, a fan or a neutral fan who taking in Barca for the first time, I really dont know how anyone can say this side isnt the best playing side in the world over the last season.
It baffling me how Small Mag saying they aint prove it to him yet???? not sure if i reading what u say wrong but i aint understanding how u could drop that one on we.....
They playing the most attractive football anyone has ever seen in recent times, forget who ya backing....

And this comment about their defense, I just went and check their Goals Against and they have conceded 28 goals in 34 games!!!
still under a goal a game!!!

ppls would say how the top 3 in England have a better average...blah blah blah....
but i think that would start a whole debate on which league is better...imo...it's Spain

At the end of it all, I backing Chelsea for quite some time now and i hoping for the best...they can pull it off still since men like Marquez and Puyol out...Pique good but he aint no Puyol

but get real pplz....Barca is the best side out there and they doing it in the best league as well

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As a footballer, a fan or a neutral fan who taking in Barca for the first time, I really dont know how anyone can say this side isnt the best playing side in the world over the last season.
It baffling me how Small Mag saying they aint prove it to him yet???? not sure if i reading what u say wrong but i aint understanding how u could drop that one on we.....
They playing the most attractive football anyone has ever seen in recent times, forget who ya backing....

And this comment about their defense, I just went and check their Goals Against and they have conceded 28 goals in 34 games!!!

ppls would say how the top 3 in England have a better average...blah blah blah....
but i think that would start a whole debate on which league is better...imo...it's Spain

At the end of it all, I backing Chelsea for quite some time now and i hoping for the best...they can pull it off still since men like Marquez and Puyol out...Pique good but he aint no Puyol

but get real pplz....Barca is the best side out there and they doing it in the best league as well

Ah woulda agree with yuh eh, but ah fraid FF cuss meh.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I understand why teams need to win something to 'prove' they are the best. At the end of the day, there is no perfect way to determine who is the best team. We all have different tastes, and there are different leagues and competitions to win. If you are ManU last year and win the EPL and also win the CL, that is as airtight an argument for claiming to be the best side in Europe as there can be. No question. But what about when Chelsea wins the EPL but Liverpool wins the CL..who is the best team in Europe, or even England?

I am astounded how some people lose all objectivity when it comes to the team they back, especially when that team is successful. That's why it's refreshing to see some Chelsea fans say something positive about Barca, even after the 0-0 tie at Camp Nou. You don't need to be as talented as Chelsea, or be as brillinat as Hiddink to put 10 men behind the ball and frustrate Barca, or any great team for that matter. I think Chelsea should be able to tie or beat any team on the planet if they want to park the bus in front of goal and break on the counter. Hiddink admitted that Chelsea can't play football with Barca, especially at Camp Nou. He actually expected Chelsea to attack more, but Barca were just too good (go on Soccernet to read the article with his comments). Chelsea is a damn good side and will play much better at home. They may beat Barca, as any team can, if they employ enough negative tactics and get a bit fortunate. Chelsea did that for 90 minutes and now have a chance to take the tie by playing the final 90 at home. It was a gamble that worked..so far. But much less talented teams than Chelsea can and have done it and there is really nothing that brilliant about it. I actually like Chelsea, and if Barca won the first leg and then played defensively and got a 0-0 at Stamford bridge I would not complain one bit. I am as pragmatic as anyone and want to see my team win first and foremost. But it won't blind me from calling a spade a spade.

Why would anyone say that Barca only know one way to play, or only have one formation? When Henry came off, and Keita came on you saw the 2nd most used formation for Barca this season, using 4-4-1-1 instead of a 4-3-3. Yesterday, they also used Messi as the point man instead of coming in from the right as he always does, and pushed Iniesta alongside Yaya in defensive midfield. Henry and Eto'o also played a lot deeper in what looked like a 4-3-2-1. Barca has shown a lot of flexibility this season, and a lot of different formations. The back line is not the best, but defensively they are a strong side..and the midfield works hard to take pressure of the back four and allow the wing backs to attack.

Also, objectively speaking, using a cup tie to determine who is the better team often makes no sense to me. Is everyone trying to say that Liverpool was better than Chelsea and few years ago when they were 20 something points behind them in the EPL but won the CL? Didn't Liverpool beat Everton going and coming in the EPL this season but lose out to them in the FA Cup? Wasn't Arsenal better than Chelsea, Liverpool and ManU head to head two years ago, but nowhere near ManU in the EPL standings at the end of the day. Didn't West ham do the double over ManU last season?...who was the better team tho? My point is..we have to go a little deeper than looking at head to head encounters to talk about who is 'better'.

So while I would never call Barca the best team of anything if they fail to win any silverware....it's hard for me to completely dismiss a team as the best if it doesn't win the CL. After all, most times the CL finalist isn't even the best in its own domestic league. And lesser teams can beat a superior team in a head to head if they get their fair share of breaks and employ enough negative tactics.

I'm floating on cloud 9 after yesterday's win in the superclasico. La Liga isn't over but you get the feeling Barca will win it now. I hope they do the domestic double at least. I'll watch the Chelsea 2nd leg a little calmer now, nowing that RM aren't exactly breathing down Barca's neck. If Chelsea win the tie....make no mistake..they will deserve it. In the end Cup Football as about getting the right result. Attractive, but effective football best serves you over the course of a season imo, where you can make up for a bad day, or a mistake. BUt in a 90 or 180 minute head to head..it's more about a specific matchup and getting things to go your way in a very limited time frame. You can't win a win a league by parking 10 men in front of goal, but you can definitely win a cup tie that way.  But to be honest...the only two teams I think that are in the running to be called the best teams in Europe are ManU and Barca. Most likely they will win their domestic leagues and the play in 2 of the 3 best leagues in Europe. If one goes on to win the CL then their fans have the best case for calling their team the best imho
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:34:22 AM by Filho »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Ah woulda agree with yuh eh, but ah fraid FF cuss meh.

lol ... and ah real bringling right now....  >:(

:rotfl:               :'(  :'(  :'(
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Just a quick note on Barca's defense. They are heavily critisized because people feel the need to point out some kind of flaw. They are not a weak defensive team, but since clearly there's little to critisize with their attacking play it's all that's really left. They play team defense and they play it well. Their record in all competitions supports this. Obviously no team is perfect, but this team is playing the closest thing we'll see this season to perfection... both sides of the ball.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That right there, is FEAR....SM quaking in his boots there just thinking of the possibility of Man U facing Barca in the UCL final. No way you could really objectively look at Barcelona's football this season, and have to wait on Tuesday's result against Chelsea to even entertain the thought that Barcelona may be better than Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool. Chelsea didn't 'find them out'......they put 10 men behind the ball for 90 mins (as many other teams have done) and caught some breaks. Nothing more, nothing less.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I will argue that the 05/06 team was better.

I think that the competition in La Liga has not been that good this year, hence the goal difference.

But that 05/06 team with R10 at his best, Deco, Xavi, Eto'o and Guily was ridiculous and they scored some disgusting goals as well. Let's not forget the dismantling Real got in the Bernabau that year.

I will say, all teams on present form thus far this season, Barca is by far the best. Manincou and C. Ronaldo are nowhere near where they were last season, Real is mess, AC Milan is mess, Inter are playing some good ball and are going to win the Scudetto but still have a ways to go, Liverpool rely too heavily on Gerrard and Arsenal is the typical engine that could - could look pretty, could win a trophy but wouldn't

Més que un club.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile

Fully endorse!!!

To further compound your point about La Liga being the best league why dont we put La Liga bottom 3 against the Prem bottom 3? I really cant see men saying that the La Liga teams will get a beat down! Barca playing the best football on the planet, on both sides of the ball too. They dont have a Vidic and Ferdinand to break up plays in and around their box, but they have Yaya, Iniesta, Xavi, Keita and even Messi to hussle and win the ball in the middle of the park, before it even reaches in the danger zone. Most of Dani Alves tackles, who for me is player of the year for Barca, has been won in the midfield, not in his defensive third. Regardless of the Chelsea game they have to be team of the year. Chelsea only hope is to carry the game to Pk's or score on a set piece. Outside of that, if Chelsea decide to open up like Real this weekend, England will see the glorious game at its best....the way it should be played!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I will say, all teams on present form thus far this season, Barca is by far the best. Manincou and C. Ronaldo are nowhere near where they were last season, Real is mess, AC Milan is mess, Inter are playing some good ball and are going to win the Scudetto but still have a ways to go, Liverpool rely too heavily on Gerrard and Arsenal is the typical engine that could - could look pretty, could win a trophy but wouldn't

Agree Manchester isn't anywhere near what they were last season or even earlier this season. I have a sneaking suspicion Sir Alex is getting ready to dump Ronaldo in the off season. He's one guy who knows how to exit an investment at its peak.

But Inter is nowhere near the best. Very effective at getting results in a poor Serie A, but are probably the ugliest team to be at the top of their domestic league. What team do they remind you of? Oh yea, Chelsea of 2 and 3 seasons ago. Go figure.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1989 Strike squad was better.

:P
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Barcelona twist knife in Madrid

"It's over", screamed Marca's cover on Sunday. After 18 matches unbeaten, Real Madrid's impressive streak came to a brutal end at their own stadium, at the hands of their biggest rival. Barcelona's overwhelming offensive display led former Real Madrid and Barcelona player Luis Henrique to speak about feeling a "footballing orgasm" while watching the blaugrana play in Madrid.

And even though one would not go that far, the thrashing of the madridistas immediately became part of history, as no team had scored six at the Bernabéu since 1950. However, just under a year ago both teams played a very different derby. On the 7th of May of 2008, their line-ups were almost identical to their current ones, but the outcome was a clear 4-1 for Real Madrid.

After that match, a handful of Barça supporters received their players at El Prat (Barcelona's airport) chanting "You don't deserve to wear that shirt". But one year works wonders in football, especially when the ying-yang dynamic between Real Madrid and Barcelona comes into play.

The genesis of today's gap between both teams may well be rooted in that match and the ensuing mediocre La Liga finish for Barcelona. While the Catalans took quick measures to get back on the right track, Real Madrid thought there was no need for radical changes once they had won La Liga with ease. However, their recent history of early Champions League exits should have warned them otherwise.

The first step Barcelona took was the promotion of Josep Guardiola from the B team. There is one very significant point in Pep's selection as a manager: his idea of how football should be played is absolutely in sync with that of several predecessors of his, such as Johann Cruyff or Frank Rijkaard.

This coherence makes sure that all Barcelona teams, no matter the age or division, play with the same structure and philosophy, therefore it is no coincidence that players of different generations such as Xavi Hernández and Sergi Busquets understand each other perfectly on the pitch. Barcelona aimed to develop a very specific brand of football during the last couple of decades, even if the gaffers have changed more than they would have wanted, and that is something Real Madrid have indeed lacked.

Pep started his job by getting rid of the rotten apples, such as Ronaldinho and Deco, and put Samuel Eto'o on probation until he showed he could be an asset to the team. The few, shrewd summer signings aimed to strengthen specific parts of the pitch were Barcelona lacked options, such as Daniel Alves at right back, or Seydou Keita in defensive midfield.

In the meantime, Real Madrid's Ramón Calderón was busy chasing Cristiano Ronaldo and ignoring Bernd Schuster's claims for reinforcements in other parts of the pitch. Only Rafael Van der Vaart joined the side during the summer. By midseason it was evident that the side was not deep enough to cover for injuries to Ruud van Nistelrooy and Mahamoud Diarra. The signings of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Lassana Diarra, together with the new coach Juande Ramos, were enough to steer the ship in the domestic competition, but the doubt about how far the team could go when facing top-level rivals still lingered, especially after they were easily disposed of by Liverpool in the Champions League.

The question was answered in emphatic fashion by Barcelona on Saturday. Guardiola sent the first message even before the match started: no players would be rested, the best available line-up would play from the start. It had become a habit of previous Barcelona gaffers to behave more defensively than usual at the Bernabéu (even Cruyff himself played five defenders in the nineties). In his first Bernabéu match as a coach with the title at stake, Pep felt this was the right time to make a statement.

Once the referee blew his whistle, both the collective flow and every single matchup on the field went Barça's way. Sergio Ramos presented Barcelona with a show out of Roberto Carlos' handbook, trying to hide his utterly shambolic defensive performance with offensive forays that left additional room for Thierry Henry and Lionel Messi. The latter's positioning was probably the best of Guardiola's tactical tricks for this match, as the Argentinean roomed freely up front instead of sticking to the right wing as usual. Real Madrid were not prepared for his endless string of one-twos with Xavi and Iniesta. Had he been more accurate with his finishing, who knows what the final score could have been.

The worrying fact is that the side are still maturing.

At the end of the match, Guardiola said: "This was an immense step for us". His comment referred not only to the Liga title, but also to the required maturity of a young, extremely gifted side that needs to test its limits under the most demanding circumstances. On Saturday they still showed some of their weaker links, such as their poor defending of set pieces, or the average protection their full-backs offer: Guus Hiddink will be taking notes, no doubt. In any case, only time will tell how far can this Barcelona team go, but if we have to judge by their talent, their youth and their manager, this is just the beginning of a side to be remembered by football fans around the globe.

And that is probably the heart of Real Madrid's drama. Their football-savvy supporters know well that the last two Liga titles cannot hide the ugly reality of the most victorious club in Europe. Despite their recent heroics, theirs is not a side to be remembered, nor will it be if things do not change at the club. Gaffers coming in and out, random policy of signings, reluctance to make tough decisions, lack of opportunities for the youth team talents.. Real Madrid, today, is a club managed through spasms, prisoner of a glorious past that will not be repeated unless they go back to their own basics.

Juande's job with an inherited group of players has been nothing short of spectacular, but this side's limitations cannot be ignored any longer, and they go beyond a specific line-up. The remarkable resilience to fight until the very last second is the only Real Madrid trademark now recognizable at the club, while the taste for good football seems long gone.

Marca's cover page was not only referring to the La Liga title. The baptism of fire of a charismatic Barça side must have sealed the end of a turbulent phase for Real Madrid. We shall see if the madridistas are able to learn from their own mistakes, and also from Barcelona's wise moves. Finding their own Guardiola would be a good start..

Més que un club.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile

"It's over", screamed Marca's cover on Sunday. After 18 matches unbeaten, Real Madrid's impressive streak came to a brutal end at their own stadium, at the hands of their biggest rival. Barcelona's overwhelming offensive display led former Real Madrid and Barcelona player Luis Henrique to speak about feeling a "footballing orgasm" while watching the blaugrana play in Madrid.

And even though one would not go that far, the thrashing of the madridistas immediately became part of history, as no team had scored six at the Bernabéu since 1950. However, just under a year ago both teams played a very different derby. On the 7th of May of 2008, their line-ups were almost identical to their current ones, but the outcome was a clear 4-1 for Real Madrid.

After that match, a handful of Barça supporters received their players at El Prat (Barcelona's airport) chanting "You don't deserve to wear that shirt". But one year works wonders in football, especially when the ying-yang dynamic between Real Madrid and Barcelona comes into play.

The genesis of today's gap between both teams may well be rooted in that match and the ensuing mediocre La Liga finish for Barcelona. While the Catalans took quick measures to get back on the right track, Real Madrid thought there was no need for radical changes once they had won La Liga with ease. However, their recent history of early Champions League exits should have warned them otherwise.

The first step Barcelona took was the promotion of Josep Guardiola from the B team. There is one very significant point in Pep's selection as a manager: his idea of how football should be played is absolutely in sync with that of several predecessors of his, such as Johann Cruyff or Frank Rijkaard.

This coherence makes sure that all Barcelona teams, no matter the age or division, play with the same structure and philosophy, therefore it is no coincidence that players of different generations such as Xavi Hernández and Sergi Busquets understand each other perfectly on the pitch. Barcelona aimed to develop a very specific brand of football during the last couple of decades, even if the gaffers have changed more than they would have wanted, and that is something Real Madrid have indeed lacked.

Pep started his job by getting rid of the rotten apples, such as Ronaldinho and Deco, and put Samuel Eto'o on probation until he showed he could be an asset to the team. The few, shrewd summer signings aimed to strengthen specific parts of the pitch were Barcelona lacked options, such as Daniel Alves at right back, or Seydou Keita in defensive midfield.

In the meantime, Real Madrid's Ramón Calderón was busy chasing Cristiano Ronaldo and ignoring Bernd Schuster's claims for reinforcements in other parts of the pitch. Only Rafael Van der Vaart joined the side during the summer. By midseason it was evident that the side was not deep enough to cover for injuries to Ruud van Nistelrooy and Mahamoud Diarra. The signings of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Lassana Diarra, together with the new coach Juande Ramos, were enough to steer the ship in the domestic competition, but the doubt about how far the team could go when facing top-level rivals still lingered, especially after they were easily disposed of by Liverpool in the Champions League.

The question was answered in emphatic fashion by Barcelona on Saturday. Guardiola sent the first message even before the match started: no players would be rested, the best available line-up would play from the start. It had become a habit of previous Barcelona gaffers to behave more defensively than usual at the Bernabéu (even Cruyff himself played five defenders in the nineties). In his first Bernabéu match as a coach with the title at stake, Pep felt this was the right time to make a statement.

Once the referee blew his whistle, both the collective flow and every single matchup on the field went Barça's way. Sergio Ramos presented Barcelona with a show out of Roberto Carlos' handbook, trying to hide his utterly shambolic defensive performance with offensive forays that left additional room for Thierry Henry and Lionel Messi. The latter's positioning was probably the best of Guardiola's tactical tricks for this match, as the Argentinean roomed freely up front instead of sticking to the right wing as usual. Real Madrid were not prepared for his endless string of one-twos with Xavi and Iniesta. Had he been more accurate with his finishing, who knows what the final score could have been.

At the end of the match, Guardiola said: "This was an immense step for us". His comment referred not only to the Liga title, but also to the required maturity of a young, extremely gifted side that needs to test its limits under the most demanding circumstances. On Saturday they still showed some of their weaker links, such as their poor defending of set pieces, or the average protection their full-backs offer: Guus Hiddink will be taking notes, no doubt. In any case, only time will tell how far can this Barcelona team go, but if we have to judge by their talent, their youth and their manager, this is just the beginning of a side to be remembered by football fans around the globe.

And that is probably the heart of Real Madrid's drama. Their football-savvy supporters know well that the last two Liga titles cannot hide the ugly reality of the most victorious club in Europe. Despite their recent heroics, theirs is not a side to be remembered, nor will it be if things do not change at the club. Gaffers coming in and out, random policy of signings, reluctance to make tough decisions, lack of opportunities for the youth team talents.. Real Madrid, today, is a club managed through spasms, prisoner of a glorious past that will not be repeated unless they go back to their own basics.

Juande's job with an inherited group of players has been nothing short of spectacular, but this side's limitations cannot be ignored any longer, and they go beyond a specific line-up. The remarkable resilience to fight until the very last second is the only Real Madrid trademark now recognizable at the club, while the taste for good football seems long gone.

Marca's cover page was not only referring to the La Liga title. The baptism of fire of a charismatic Barça side must have sealed the end of a turbulent phase for Real Madrid. We shall see if the madridistas are able to learn from their own mistakes, and also from Barcelona's wise moves. Finding their own Guardiola would be a good start..

Great article!
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No CL medal for Dutty Henry.
Messi to go missing for the match
Elbow to face for inesta from ballack (for he mouth)
Lampard to "bully" Xavi
and Terry to ride Eto back whole game.
Next day headlines "Chelsea bullies, bullies pretty footballers"
Nutten for allyuh......

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAHHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Go chelsea.

::)
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile

Nice journalism but, myth rather than reality, 13 of the 22 man squad are not from Barcelona set up. Yes Barca has a particular way of playing right through all their teams. But their teams success is down to quality footballers playing as a team.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Just a couple points to touch on the things posted.

Barca is the best footballing side in the World, bar none. What they show against United last year and Chelsea this year that they could face some of the best teams in the world and pass them off the park. Neither United or Chelsea went to Barcelona to park the bus. They went to not lose and not give Barcelona space but not to give up 70% possession. Barcelona put them firmly on the back foot and force them into a rearguard action. Other teams try to play this way and Barca still beats them but when big clubs with world class, athletic, disciplined players do it they have a chance of stifling Barcelona.

The only opportunities these sides get once they playing that defensive is from a Barcelona mistake. Barcelona is so good with the ball and uses it so well that when teams lose the ball they have to wait a while to get it back and when they get it back they have very little rhythm and few chances to build up any.

Barcelona’s best defense is their style of play. Overall it is a strength because if you have the ball most of the time the odds are in your favour. Individually though there are problems.

Real didn’t try to defend against Bareclona, the score could have easily been 10-2. The problem for Barca though is those two goals they conceded.

Chelsea will be licking their lips at the prospect of putting balls into the box against Pique and Abidal. I could easily see them scoring a couple from set pieces. Which means Barca will have to bring it on the next end of the pitch. I hoping for a high score draw and Barca progress because I want to see that team in the CL final.

As for the la Liga EPL debate it is a moot point. The bottom 5 in England is just really bad right now but the middle and top teams are not bad. More importantly they are competitive. In Spain you have Real in 2nd place that win 17 out of 18 games yet could not make a note against Liverpool or Barcelona. I don’t know if you could say that Bilbao, Valladolid and Mallorca are automatically better than Fulham, Spurs and West Ham. Better ball-playing teams for sure but if they defend anything like Madrid the English sides could outhustle them and make it an even contest.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Nice journalism but, myth rather than reality, 13 of the 22 man squad are not from Barcelona set up. Yes Barca has a particular way of playing right through all their teams. But their teams success is down to quality footballers playing as a team.

not sure which part you disagree with since the segment of the report seems to be stating the same thing you are. by employing the same structure and philiosphy at all age groups, youth team players that make it to the senior setup will theoretically have an easier transition and understanding of how the team plays. of course there isn't going to be perfect chemsitry between all the players (writer trying to sound a little poetic), but the number of senior players that do or do not not come through the youth ranks does not matter. It's implied that the 'outside' senior players are brought in because they have traits that enable them to adapt to the Barca philosophy of football and should also gel well with those who did go through the system. I think to some extent all he is saying is, if a youth player makes it to the senior level, he is already a Barcelona player. The only question would be whether he has the quality to make it at the highest level, not whether his style of play fits the 'Barca' philosophy.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

As for the la Liga EPL debate it is a moot point. The bottom 5 in England is just really bad right now but the middle and top teams are not bad. More importantly they are competitive. In Spain you have Real in 2nd place that win 17 out of 18 games yet could not make a note against Liverpool or Barcelona. I don’t know if you could say that Bilbao, Valladolid and Mallorca are automatically better than Fulham, Spurs and West Ham. Better ball-playing teams for sure but if they defend anything like Madrid the English sides could outhustle them and make it an even contest.

I am never one to think you can compare leagues top to bottom. You can't do it. Best you could do is make an educated guess. I watch a decent amount of both leagues and ehe best I can do is say that on current quality and form:

-The top 4 in EPL is stronger than top 4 in La Liga. I think the Top 4 in the EPL would beat the top 4 in La Liga in a mini league. In fact, think of the top 4 in La Liga, only Barca is at the same level as Liverpool, Chelsea and ManU. Real Madrid is more on the level of Arsenal.

- Outside the top 4 in Spain you have two CL quarter finalist: Atletico Madrid and Villareal are currently 5th and 6th. I honestly think they are better than Aston Villa and Everton, if only because I can't see AV and Everton actually being Champion's League quarterfinalists and playing Liverpool and ManU in the group stages the way the La Liga teams did. So make it a top 6 mini league and you realize the difference between the leagues starts to even out.

Below the top 6, your guess is as good as mine. I think the La Liga teams play a neater more technical brand. But the EPL teams play at a faster rythm and seem to keep their heads in the game better. Whatever..still a lot of old talk. 2 best leagues in the world as far as I concerned. That, I think is closes thing to fact in the whole debate

1]; } ?>