24 (42.1%)
Not me
8 (14%)
Only If certain things change
24 (42.1%)
Other
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Will you return home to live ?  (Read 83863 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Will you return home to live ?
« Reply #450 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 05, 2011, 07:39:54 AM »
Everybody's experience, circumstances and preferences are different so it eh make sense telling someone that they mad tuh go back home or that they wrong to not want to...

The chances of me eventually going back home to live (which were actually pretty good) took a nose dive after I got married to an American woman...She love T&T as a place tuh visit but she say the way that people lock up their house tight tight with high fence and burglar proof etc gives the environment a feeling of always being under some kind threat...and that makes her uncomfortable....and it eh fair to force someone through that.... so there yuh go - circumstances... I know fellas who take their American/non Trini wife home to live and they normal normal liking deyself...

To me T&T lacking a professionalism that could be very annoying if you've experienced life in the U.S. but to be completely honest after going through the adjustment pains that eh no big scene if yuh open yuh mind, accept the culture (to a certain extent) and relax...I went back home for 2 yrs back in the early 00's and lived and worked in T&T, and there was def. a tough adjustment period...but truth be told it was very short, and very soon I was normal, normal and Trini was real sweet. 

There is a charm to alot of the things that we lack in Trini if yuh could spin yuh head to see it from a different angle, but like ah say, everybody different...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »
Everybody's experience, circumstances and preferences are different so it eh make sense telling someone that they mad tuh go back home or that they wrong to not want to...

The chances of me eventually going back home to live (which were actually pretty good) took a nose dive after I got married to an American woman...She love T&T as a place tuh visit but she say the way that people lock up their house tight tight with high fence and burglar proof etc gives the environment a feeling of always being under some kind threat...and that makes her uncomfortable....and it eh fair to force someone through that.... so there yuh go - circumstances... I know fellas who take their American/non Trini wife home to live and they normal normal liking deyself...

To me T&T lacking a professionalism that could be very annoying if you've experienced life in the U.S. but to be completely honest after going through the adjustment pains that eh no big scene if yuh open yuh mind, accept the culture (to a certain extent) and relax...I went back home for 2 yrs back in the early 00's and lived and worked in T&T, and there was def. a tough adjustment period...but truth be told it was very short, and very soon I was normal, normal and Trini was real sweet. 

There is a charm to alot of the things that we lack in Trini if yuh could spin yuh head to see it from a different angle, but like ah say, everybody different...

True right now I thinking Trini is a good choice seeing that all markets craching this morning.  I say is time to kick back and watch the world fall apart  :beermug: :devil: :angel:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »
Kicker

I tell meh friends all yuh cyah live here 4 1 reason d lack of service delivery. D 1st time I wemnt to d US I purchase a dress in meh favorite store Dress Barn In Atlanta. My sis nah u pay 2 much 4 dat and get a refund in d Dress Barn In Maryland.

Dat level of service delivery eh no way possible in sweet TNT. 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »
Kicker

I tell meh friends all yuh cyah live here 4 1 reason d lack of service delivery. D 1st time I wemnt to d US I purchase a dress in meh favorite store Dress Barn In Atlanta. My sis nah u pay 2 much 4 dat and get a refund in d Dress Barn In Maryland.

Dat level of service delivery eh no way possible in sweet TNT. 

Try Costco... I does buy, then use and then return, no questions asked  :devil:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:45 AM »
I recently move back home by choice and I eh look back yet.

Left a steady, decent job and situation in the US and took a chance and sacrificed to come back here because I have a much better opportunity to try to achieve some personal professional goals that don't involve working for someone else than I could have ever had in the states.

For sure there is a process of adjustment but luckily i wasn't away so long as to not to be able to cope with certain things or understand that things here are a certain way. The speed (or lack thereof) with which people operate, the customer service, the attitudes. Nevertheless I not missing abroad at all, and if that changes I could always swing back.

What has surprised me more than anything is people's negativity towards here. Is like when I tell people I actually not here on vacation, first question i get is why I would leave the great USA to come back here. And if it is I sure because given the opportunity to go they gone etc. Same for people who living abroad seeing me going back, the first question is "Yuh really going back dey boy?". A constant cry down. I think having lived a few years in London and the US help shape my perspective, but I realize that people don't appreciate what they have here.

My personal opinion is that there is not really a big gap in terms of the value add of living in the states as there used to be long ago. There is not much you could get there that you cannot get here once you setup properly. Like i does say long time we used to look forward to Tantie sending a barrel down for us with stocks. What Tantie could put in that barrel now that we cant get here?

In terms of money, I remember up to a few years ago when I visit home and liming with pardners, men hitting yuh de standard "wham hoss, yuh working for US dollarz sponsor de rounds nah". Men don't even talk that talk anymore because de kinda money people spend here on liming is the equivalent of $US or more. I still taken back when I see how people liming religiously during the week and partying on the weekend normal when I know I couldn't sustain that level of spending working a better job than most. People doh bat ah eyelid to spend $300TT plus on a fete ticket when I never spend more than $40US to go in nowhere in all my time living in the states.

Also when I look at the prices of things here, the standard conversion is $1US - $10TT. Everything in the US is 10 times the price here yet it don't seem to be stopping people from buying. Then when you spin around and look at the economic global situation, Trinidad really not looking so bad right now after all.

Of course the only major differential is the crime situation and peace of mind which is of course a big thing. If it wasn't for that Trinidad is a paradise.

Naturally this is my personal opinion and I understand for everyone else it will be different but to each his own. Home for me is where the heart is.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:35:50 AM by dinho »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #456 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:45 AM »
I want to try outside for a while.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »

I does advise everybody who ask me to try outside for a while. Yuh need to get out and see the world and live it and experience the world out there for at least a year or two. It does broaden yuh horizon and open yuh mind up in ways that could never happen by just staying in Trinidad.

I think after that yuh get to appreciate a first world way of life but at the same time I feel it does lead yuh to appreciate alot of things yuh take for granted here. jmo

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »

I does advise everybody who ask me to try outside for a while. Yuh need to get out and see the world and live it and experience the world out there for at least a year or two. It does broaden yuh horizon and open yuh mind up in ways that could never happen by just staying in Trinidad.

I think after that yuh get to appreciate a first world way of life but at the same time I feel it does lead yuh to appreciate alot of things yuh take for granted here. jmo
Very true

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
Omar doh forget your U.S. experience is a New York City experience eh... It kinda unique - man does ketch dey arse tuh spend money on the non-necessitites in New York, because the cost of living otherwise is very high.  The same comparison you make to ppl in Trini as far as spending goes, yuh could make that to peeps in other states and cities who, as yuh say, not working for as much as you...because NYC just reaaalll expensive to live....and the other place yuh live was where?....... London?  Well ditto what I just say about NYC....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »
Omar doh forget your U.S. experience is a New York City experience eh... It kinda unique - man does ketch dey arse tuh spend money on the non-necessitites in New York, because the cost of living otherwise is very high.  The same comparison you make to ppl in Trini as far as spending goes, yuh could make that to peeps in other states and cities who, as yuh say, not working for as much as you...because NYC just reaaalll expensive to live....and the other place yuh live was where?....... London?  Well ditto what I just say about NYC....

True, but is not like yuh salary does remain the same in other states.

But anyway, like i say is just a personal take.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
But anyway, like i say is just a personal take.

Dais de bottom line

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
Trinidad I could speak for iz very simple...stick with d right crowd..yuh good tuh go....

Respect people for who dey are ..and live you life...

Yuh in d wrong crowd or look fuh truble..it ez tuh find any part of d world...

i with dinho on dis,,,
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »

Left a steady, decent job and situation in the US and took a chance and sacrificed to come back here because I have a much better opportunity to try to achieve some personal professional goals that don't involve working for someone else than I could have ever had in the states.

For sure there is a process of adjustment but luckily i wasn't away so long as to not to be able to cope with certain things or understand that things here are a certain way. The speed (or lack thereof) with which people operate, the customer service, the attitudes. Nevertheless I not missing abroad at all, and if that changes I could always swing back.

What has surprised me more than anything is people's negativity towards here. Is like when I tell people I actually not here on vacation, first question i get is why I would leave the great USA to come back here. And if it is I sure because given the opportunity to go they gone etc. Same for people who living abroad seeing me going back, the first question is "Yuh really going back dey boy?". A constant cry down. I think having lived a few years in London and the US help shape my perspective, but I realize that people don't appreciate what they have here.

My personal opinion is that there is not really a big gap in terms of the value add of living in the states as there used to be long ago. There is not much you could get there that you cannot get here once you setup properly. Like i does say long time we used to look forward to Tantie sending a barrel down for us with stocks. What Tantie could put in that barrel now that we cant get here?

In terms of money, I remember up to a few years ago when I visit home and liming with pardners, men hitting yuh de standard "wham hoss, yuh working for US dollarz sponsor de rounds nah". Men don't even talk that talk anymore because de kinda money people spend here on liming is the equivalent of $US or more. I still taken back when I see how people liming religiously during the week and partying on the weekend normal when I know I couldn't sustain that level of spending working a better job than most. People doh bat ah eyelid to spend $300TT plus on a fete ticket when I never spend more than $40US to go in nowhere in all my time living in the states.

Also when I look at the prices of things here, the standard conversion is $1US - $10TT. Everything in the US is 10 times the price here yet it don't seem to be stopping people from buying. Then when you spin around and look at the economic global situation, Trinidad really not looking so bad right now after all.

Of course the only major differential is the crime situation and peace of mind which is of course a big thing. If it wasn't for that Trinidad is a paradise.

Naturally this is my personal opinion and I understand for everyone else it will be different but to each his own. Home for me is where the heart is.

I'm in, where do I sign up :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »

Not to re-beat a dead horse but this is the point I was making earlier in this thread.

A lot of the people who were saying that they couldn’t go back Trinidad because of specific criticisms like crime, backwardness etc were not being honest enough to ackknowledge that other factors like: American spouses, American kids, career prospects and just plain inertia were probably bigger factors.

Most of the people that I know who went back are like Dinho, young, unattached (or attached to someone in Trini) and without kids. The kids are a big factor. I don't even want to move to the next town for fear of disrupting what works for them so moving to a different country is a hard decision.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »

it depends on your work situation, certain careers you cannot continue in TT successfully and you have to be in the US, Canada or UK to make it and do well.

it also depends which part of TT you are from, my family is from the area with the highest murder rate and crime rate, so going back is about survival and staying alive, i have no time to deal with that.

so for me, going back to trinidad is not an option right now because of my career and where i will reside.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 07, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »
Who say a Dougla will do a better job than any other race or any other mix race person,race dont matter its how good you are.Williams was there for a long time,he had nuff time and money to make TT one of the best places in the world to live but instead the country was bankrupt by 1980.I feel certain that if you minus the crime figures from Laventille and its surrounds our crime will be negligible.Dr.Williams also brought in thousands of people from the smaller islands to keep his position as boss,we are seeing the effects of his actions today.All great leaders leave a legacy,what was his.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 07, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »

it depends on your work situation, certain careers you cannot continue in TT successfully and you have to be in the US, Canada or UK to make it and do well.

it also depends which part of TT you are from, my family is from the area with the highest murder rate and crime rate, so going back is about survival and staying alive, i have no time to deal with that.

so for me, going back to trinidad is not an option right now because of my career and where i will reside.

Yuh could choose which area in T&T you want to reside in if you were originally from a high crime area and really want to return home!

Maybe yuh heart not in it and yuh doh love the country of your birth as much as others who have choosen to return!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:22:05 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #468 on: August 07, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »

Yuh could choose which area in T&T you want to reside in if you were originally from a high crime area and really want to return home!

Maybe yuh heart not in it and yuh doh love the country of your birth as much as others who have choosen to return!

far from it, more along the lines of lack of opportunity more than anything else.

you should know, thats why you living in london  8)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 07, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »

far from it, more along the lines of lack of opportunity more than anything else.

Just that you know and don't make wrong assumptions as you usually do, I'm living in London because I have a mission to spread my culture to a wider audience!

It has little to do with crime or lack of opportunity to make a living in T&T!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:48:03 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 07, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
Two ah all yuh is real kix oui.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2011, 02:21:41 AM »

Just that you know and don't make wrong assumptions as you usually do, I'm living in London because I have a mission to spread my culture to a wider audience!

Yuh hear lie, dat is lie, lie, yuh hear lie. ;D
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 14, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »
the funny thing is that this debate is being played out in households all across the world.  my wife for example is from puerto rico and is extremely homesick.  almost every week we talk about the pros and cons of going back puerto rico, one of the sticking point is salary, PR just like trini where teachers etc. making not so much money compared to other sectors.   housing as u can imagine is another factor, schools, etc.    maybe one day we will make the move back to the caribbean, who knows.

I've been acquainting myself with this thread in last couple days so ah only now seeing this ... interesting you mention what you did because as I was pondering a trip to PR last week I decided to review crime stats there and some other indicators ... the similarity in context with Trini was not lost on me ... what with the police chief resigning and Puerto Ricans not at all happy with the situation on the ground ... none of this is expressly new, yet crime didn't feature in your comments. Then I said yuh know what ... head to the rural areas and vibes ah beach ... no decipherable difference; indeed there was a story about a man who parked a rental at a rural beach only to come back to find the vehicle stripped or gone (cyah remember which). Anyway, ah going back to read. This thread is epic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:32:36 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »

been doing that my whole life abroad, you think you are the only man  who has contributed?  :D that is a joke

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
the funny thing is that this debate is being played out in households all across the world.  my wife for example is from puerto rico and is extremely homesick.  almost every week we talk about the pros and cons of going back puerto rico, one of the sticking point is salary, PR just like trini where teachers etc. making not so much money compared to other sectors.   housing as u can imagine is another factor, schools, etc.    maybe one day we will make the move back to the caribbean, who knows.

I've been acquainting myself with this thread in last couple days so ah only now seeing this ... interesting you mention what you did because as I was pondering a trip to PR last week I decided to review crime stats there and some other indicators ... the similarity in context with Trini was not lost on me ... what with the police chief resigning and Puerto Ricans not at all happy with the situation on the ground ... none of this is expressly new, yet crime didn't feature in your comments. Then I said yuh know what ... head to the rural areas and vibes ah beach ... no decipherable difference; indeed there was a story about a man who parked a rental at a rural beach only to come back to find the vehicle stripped or gone (cyah remember which). Anyway, ah going back to read. This thread is epic.

yeah, crime is serious.  when i was in rio piedras in 2000 i saw a woman get she purse snatch right outside de dorm in broad daylight.  my other pardna had a night job and he see a dead man one night coming from work, plus the gas station he worked in get rob and he had to go to court when they caught the perps...crime serious over there.  the latest thing my in laws was telling us was that ppl was waiting for u to come out de grocery then snatchin ur bag of groceries  :o    a double blow b/c after u work so hard to buy a lil something somebody just takin it from u

but with all that...pr jus like trini boy...it sweeet too bad.      as for me going home, i will never say never.  i have a few contacts back home and i trying to prepare myself academically and professionally as much as possible just in case a good move arises back home.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2011, 09:41:18 PM »

been doing that my whole life abroad, you think you are the only man  who has contributed?  :D that is a joke

I feel jumbie does talk in your head yuh know!  :-\

Where did you hear me say that I am the only man who has contributed?!  ::)

I leave them sort of statements for men with over inflated egos like yourself!  8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:43:30 PM by Socapro »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
will you return home to live?
« Reply #476 on: August 14, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »
Trinidad too small! one hour in any direction and is pure sea.  :devil: and the classism still alive and well in that  place, plus it have to much privilege folks still running around acting like you are an intruder. simple things like a fine dining experience is a huge deal, yuh have tuh know someone so you could get a reservation in ah high end joint, or so they call it.

well don't talk for customer service, it's nonexistent in that country. imagine i gone in the bank and ah man in ah monkey suite call out to me with indigence chattering "eyyyhhhh , yuh cyar wear dat in here" (referring to my hat) plus the teller dem was katching feelings bc of my lingo, as ah matter of fact every where i go ppl was katchin feelings bc of my lingo.

in ah nut shell, the masses real fackin small minded and petty. don't get me wrong, i love trinidad, but for the land scape and the weather which is just lovely, the the local foods, fruits and fresh air is out of this world, but the masses and the leaders needs ah mentality lift.

T&T could be an absolute paradise, but only if the leaders put their shoulders to the wheel and become truly patriotic and dedicated to the cause of making T&T a first world nation, and putting the resources we were blessed with to proper use. if that were too happen , then i could consider repatriating, but until then (which i doubt) i good right here in boo york.

PS: the ppl need a lot of exposure and plenty education bc it's only a small percentage of the masses that is truly educated. there are too many ignorant ppl running round trinidad, more so than in colonial times (that's why ppl reminisce on the times gone by) and they also need to stop thinking like trinidad america and canada is the only countries in the world, that's another annoyance.  

mods some thing went wrong when i tried to post on the original thread and i didn't want to retype the post . so please merge with original thread.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2011, 12:21:37 AM »

I feel jumbie does talk in your head yuh know!  :-\

Where did you hear me say that I am the only man who has contributed?!  ::)

I leave them sort of statements for men with over inflated egos like yourself!  8)

the egotistical way in which you spoke, echoed that sentiment, in fact you went off topic, you blatently try to call me unpatriotic when you living in london donkey years, making it seem like if I have never done nothing to contribute to promoting TT culture.

how patriotic is the ttff? ent all of them in TT and what they doing to our football

when youths killing they TT brother on the street, are they also patriotic?

the only jumbie that around is the one in your room with the padded walls  8)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:32:52 AM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2011, 12:49:48 AM »

a big lie breds

socacrocro wants to say that another poster is more patriotic because they moved back to trinidad and because i choose not to move back at this time in my life, i am less patriotic

you should ask socacrocro which part of trini he is from? and when will he be moving back, because he can't say he did more for TT culture than me, another big fat lie, so he can RIDE with his outta timing statement

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »

a big lie breds

socacrocro wants to say that another poster is more patriotic because they moved back to trinidad and because i choose not to move back at this time in my life, i am less patriotic

you should ask socacrocro which part of trini he is from? and when will he be moving back, because he can't say he did more for TT culture than me, another big fat lie, so he can RIDE with his outta timing statement

This man is a certified egomaniac yes!!  ::)

He knows very little of my business other than what I allow him & others here to know but has some crazy jumbie in his head talking to him and telling him that he knows everything!
I’ve got nothing to prove to an insane egomaniac who seems to view himself as King Trini but doh want to return home!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:10:48 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>