24 (42.1%)
Not me
8 (14%)
Only If certain things change
24 (42.1%)
Other
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Will you return home to live ?  (Read 83820 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Will you return home to live ?
« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
I recently move back home by choice and I eh look back yet.

Left a steady, decent job and situation in the US and took a chance and sacrificed to come back here because I have a much better opportunity to try to achieve some personal professional goals that don't involve working for someone else than I could have ever had in the states.

For sure there is a process of adjustment but luckily i wasn't away so long as to not to be able to cope with certain things or understand that things here are a certain way. The speed (or lack thereof) with which people operate, the customer service, the attitudes. Nevertheless I not missing abroad at all, and if that changes I could always swing back.

What has surprised me more than anything is people's negativity towards here. Is like when I tell people I actually not here on vacation, first question i get is why I would leave the great USA to come back here. And if it is I sure because given the opportunity to go they gone etc. Same for people who living abroad seeing me going back, the first question is "Yuh really going back dey boy?". A constant cry down. I think having lived a few years in London and the US help shape my perspective, but I realize that people don't appreciate what they have here.

My personal opinion is that there is not really a big gap in terms of the value add of living in the states as there used to be long ago. There is not much you could get there that you cannot get here once you setup properly. Like i does say long time we used to look forward to Tantie sending a barrel down for us with stocks. What Tantie could put in that barrel now that we cant get here?

In terms of money, I remember up to a few years ago when I visit home and liming with pardners, men hitting yuh de standard "wham hoss, yuh working for US dollarz sponsor de rounds nah". Men don't even talk that talk anymore because de kinda money people spend here on liming is the equivalent of $US or more. I still taken back when I see how people liming religiously during the week and partying on the weekend normal when I know I couldn't sustain that level of spending working a better job than most. People doh bat ah eyelid to spend $300TT plus on a fete ticket when I never spend more than $40US to go in nowhere in all my time living in the states.

Also when I look at the prices of things here, the standard conversion is $1US - $10TT. Everything in the US is 10 times the price here yet it don't seem to be stopping people from buying. Then when you spin around and look at the economic global situation, Trinidad really not looking so bad right now after all.

Of course the only major differential is the crime situation and peace of mind which is of course a big thing. If it wasn't for that Trinidad is a paradise.

Naturally this is my personal opinion and I understand for everyone else it will be different but to each his own. Home for me is where the heart is.

I'm in, where do I sign up :beermug:

it depends on your work situation, certain careers you cannot continue in TT successfully and you have to be in the US, Canada or UK to make it and do well.

it also depends which part of TT you are from, my family is from the area with the highest murder rate and crime rate, so going back is about survival and staying alive, i have no time to deal with that.

so for me, going back to trinidad is not an option right now because of my career and where i will reside.

Yuh could choose which area in T&T you want to reside in if you were originally from a high crime area and really want to return home!

Maybe yuh heart not in it and yuh doh love the country of your birth as much as others who have choosen to return!

far from it, more along the lines of lack of opportunity more than anything else.

you should know, thats why you living in london  8)

Just that you know and don't make wrong assumptions as you usually do, I'm living in London because I have a mission to spread my culture to a wider audience!

It has little to do with crime or lack of opportunity to make a living in T&T!
Yuh hear lie, dat is lie, lie, yuh hear lie. ;D

a big lie breds

socacrocro wants to say that another poster is more patriotic because they moved back to trinidad and because i choose not to move back at this time in my life, i am less patriotic

you should ask socacrocro which part of trini he is from? and when will he be moving back, because he can't say he did more for TT culture than me, another big fat lie, so he can RIDE with his outta timing statement

This man is a certified egomaniac yes!!  ::)

He knows very little of my business other than what I allow him & others here to know but has some crazy jumbie in his head talking to him and telling him that he knows everything!
I’ve got nothing to prove to an insane egomaniac who seems to view himself as King Trini but doh want to return home!!

your a certified hypocrite.

all of a sudden you want to brand me as an egomaniac because i spoke of my contribution to TT society, which counters your falsified argument against me.

you know little of what i have done for TT culture, but your intent on insulting me and saying im not patriotic because i gave my opinion

why don't you answer the questions, or are you afraid to because everyone will see you are talking garbage like usual

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:18:59 PM by Controversial »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »

Left a steady, decent job and situation in the US and took a chance and sacrificed to come back here because I have a much better opportunity to try to achieve some personal professional goals that don't involve working for someone else than I could have ever had in the states.

For sure there is a process of adjustment but luckily i wasn't away so long as to not to be able to cope with certain things or understand that things here are a certain way. The speed (or lack thereof) with which people operate, the customer service, the attitudes. Nevertheless I not missing abroad at all, and if that changes I could always swing back.

What has surprised me more than anything is people's negativity towards here. Is like when I tell people I actually not here on vacation, first question i get is why I would leave the great USA to come back here. And if it is I sure because given the opportunity to go they gone etc. Same for people who living abroad seeing me going back, the first question is "Yuh really going back dey boy?". A constant cry down. I think having lived a few years in London and the US help shape my perspective, but I realize that people don't appreciate what they have here.

My personal opinion is that there is not really a big gap in terms of the value add of living in the states as there used to be long ago. There is not much you could get there that you cannot get here once you setup properly. Like i does say long time we used to look forward to Tantie sending a barrel down for us with stocks. What Tantie could put in that barrel now that we cant get here?

In terms of money, I remember up to a few years ago when I visit home and liming with pardners, men hitting yuh de standard "wham hoss, yuh working for US dollarz sponsor de rounds nah". Men don't even talk that talk anymore because de kinda money people spend here on liming is the equivalent of $US or more. I still taken back when I see how people liming religiously during the week and partying on the weekend normal when I know I couldn't sustain that level of spending working a better job than most. People doh bat ah eyelid to spend $300TT plus on a fete ticket when I never spend more than $40US to go in nowhere in all my time living in the states.

Also when I look at the prices of things here, the standard conversion is $1US - $10TT. Everything in the US is 10 times the price here yet it don't seem to be stopping people from buying. Then when you spin around and look at the economic global situation, Trinidad really not looking so bad right now after all.

Of course the only major differential is the crime situation and peace of mind which is of course a big thing. If it wasn't for that Trinidad is a paradise.

Naturally this is my personal opinion and I understand for everyone else it will be different but to each his own. Home for me is where the heart is.

it depends on your work situation, certain careers you cannot continue in TT successfully and you have to be in the US, Canada or UK to make it and do well.

it also depends which part of TT you are from, my family is from the area with the highest murder rate and crime rate, so going back is about survival and staying alive, i have no time to deal with that.

so for me, going back to trinidad is not an option right now because of my career and where i will reside.

Yuh could choose which area in T&T you want to reside in if you were originally from a high crime area and really want to return home!

Maybe yuh heart not in it and yuh doh love the country of your birth as much as others who have choosen to return!

far from it, more along the lines of lack of opportunity more than anything else.

Just that you know and don't make wrong assumptions as you usually do, I'm living in London because I have a mission to spread my culture to a wider audience!

a big lie breds

socacrocro wants to say that another poster is more patriotic because they moved back to trinidad and because i choose not to move back at this time in my life, i am less patriotic

you should ask socacrocro which part of trini he is from? and when will he be moving back, because he can't say he did more for TT culture than me, another big fat lie, so he can RIDE with his outta timing statement

He knows very little of my business other than what I allow him & others here to know but has some crazy jumbie in his head talking to him and telling him that he knows everything!
I’ve got nothing to prove to an insane egomaniac who seems to view himself as King Trini but doh want to return home!!

all of a sudden you want to brand me as an egomaniac because i spoke of my contribution to TT society, which counters your falsified argument against me.

you know little of what i have done for TT culture, but your intent on insulting me and saying im not patriotic because i gave my opinion

why don't you answer the questions, or are you afraid to because everyone will see you are talking garbage like usual

You honestly feel I have time to waste arguing with an egomaniac who feels he knows it all?
Everyone who regularly reads your posts knows that description for you fits you spot on!

I’ve seen many folks waste their time trying to have a logical argument with you on this forum and then eventually come to the same conclusion that I have!

Only mad people try to argue with mad people and I won't let you catch me in your loony trap by wasting my precious time answering irrelevant questions that only you believe you know the answers for so take win!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:39:40 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »

a big lie breds

You honestly feel I have time to waste arguing with an egomaniac who feels he knows it all?
Everyone who regularly reads your posts knows that description for you fits you spot on!

I’ve seen many folks waste their time trying to have a logical argument with you on this forum and then eventually come to the same conclusion that I have!

Only mad people try to argue with mad people and I won't let you catch me in your loony trap by wasting my precious time answering irrelevant questions that only you believe you know the answers for so take win!  :beermug:

Poor thing...too late :beermug: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »

a big lie breds

Poor thing...too late :beermug: :devil:

:D Ah $hit! Yuh probably right, ah still get ketch in the loony trap!!  :-[
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 16, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
Doh worry many ah man have tried and failed at what you attempted.  Is ah real long list but alyu doh stop on account of me, keep going as this is my mid afternoon popcorn and mauby entertainment  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
Doh worry many ah man have tried and failed at what you attempted.  Is ah real long list but alyu doh stop on account of me, keep going as this is my mid afternoon popcorn and mauby entertainment  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yuh laughing?!
I doh have the time to waste on that fella sah, my time too precious!!  :-[

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #487 on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:35 AM »
POS the new Baghdad
United Nations compares T&T murder rate to Iraq
By Camini Marajh (Express)
Head Investigative Desk
Sep 10, 2011.

Trinidad and Tobago now rivals Jamaica as the most violent country in the Caribbean, with the number of annual murders rising sharply from 98 to 550 over the last decade, with some areas in the Port of Spain police division being listed among the most dangerous in the world.

This is the finding of a new United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) draft report on Human Development and Citizen Security in the Caribbean, which noted, among other things, that the murder rate for Port of Spain was comparable to that of Baghdad.

The report also cites information stating that illegal guns are being rented for robbery and murder for as little as $100 an hour.

The report, which is expected to be released later this year, draws on the most comprehensive data on local gangs collected by the Crime and Problem Analysis (CAPA) branch of the Police Service and other detailed analyses, including a survey of 52 gang experts in all of the police districts nationwide and research conducted by Katz and Choate, among others.

An excerpt of the draft 2011 UNDP report which examines the nature and distribution of local gangs, obtained by the Sunday Express, pointed to evidence of some 95 gangs operating in Trinidad and Tobago, with a total membership of 1,269.

An analysis of the data, according to the draft UNDP report, found that the majority of criminal gangs were concentrated in three police divisions, specifically Port of Spain (which includes Belmont, Besson Street, St Clair, Woodbrook and St Barbs), Western (St James, Maraval, Carenage and Diego Martin) and Northern (which includes Arima, Arouca, Tunapuna, Cumuto, Maracas/St Joseph, Piarco, Malabar and Maloney.

Other areas with a notable gang presence include the Eastern division (which includes Sangre Grande, Mathura, Biche, Manzanilla, Mayaro, Matelot, Toco, Rio Claro and Valencia) and the North Eastern division (which includes Morvant, Barataria, San Juan, Santa Cruz, Maracas Bay and Blanchissuese).

Key findings of the report include:

• 26 per cent of local gangs place their "date of origin" prior to 2000, while the remaining groups trace their origin to after 2000.

• 83 per cent of gang members are of African origin, 13 per cent East Indian and four per cent of other ethnic backgrounds. All of the identified gangs are male-dominated and a high 87 per cent are comprised of adults.

• The majority of gangs, 86 per cent, have a group name, while 61 per cent refer to themselves as a gang, 26 per cent as a crew and 4.2 as a clip or unit.

• A large proportion, 88 per cent, claim turf while 75 per cent defend their turf.

• The vast majority, 85 per cent, do not have special symbols or identifying clothing; and almost without exception, illegal activity is accepted by all gang members.

• Two-thirds of the gangs have from six to 50 members, while 95 per cent are made up of Trinidad and Tobago citizens.

• The spatial distribution of crime in Trinidad and Tobago bears a striking similarity to the spatial distribution of gangs.

• An examination of gang-related murders for the period 2001 to 2010 shows that the largest proportion occurred in the Port of Spain division—42.6 per cent; followed by the North Eastern—18.8 per cent; Western—17.8 per cent; and Northern—15.9 per cent) divisions. These areas were also found to have a disproportionately large number of gangs.

The report drew upon the findings of the Besson Street Gang Intelligence History Project, which offered a rare insight into the nature and composition of gangs in Trinidad and Tobago. In this project, 368 gang members were interviewed, with data collected in 2005.

According to the report, the age distribution of the sample gives an indication of the typical age ranges of gang members. The majority of gang members were found to be young adults between the ages of 18 and 45.

More specifically, 26.1 per cent were between the ages of 18 and 21; 25.4 per cent between the ages of 22 and 25; and 33.7 per cent between the ages of 26 and 35. Only a small proportion of the sample—5.3 per cent—was 17 and younger at the time of the interview; whereas eight per cent of the sample was between the ages of 36 and 45; and 1.5 per cent of the sample was between the ages of 46 and 55.

Of the gang members surveyed, 51.4 per cent were previously arrested, with each member having an average of 2.09 arrests.

Arrest data indicate that gang members commit a larger number of crimes than persons who are not in gangs. Police data also show that gang members commit violent offences at three times the rate of people who are not in gangs.

Also, about 26 per cent of gang members were arrested for firearm-related offences, compared to 8.7 per cent of non-gang persons.

Similarly, 15.2 per cent of gang members were arrested for drug trafficking, compared to 3.2 per cent of non-gang members, according to the report which noted a similar over-representation in criminal offences for gang members for property offences, sex crimes and drug use/possession.

The draft report found that the largest proportion of gang-related murders for the period 2001 to 2010

took place in the Port of Spain police division.

Gang-related murders, according to the police data, account for 33 per cent of all murders in Trinidad and Tobago for the last decade.

"It may be the case that many more murders are committed by gang members, though the actual proportion is unknown," the report said, adding: "Given that murder motives are unknown for a large proportion of murders and given the low arrest and conviction rates for murders, it is plausible to assume that gang members may be responsible for at least some of the unsolved murders."

The report's experts found that two-thirds of local gangs are involved in fights with rival groups and that members not only use illegal drugs, but were heavily involved in organised fraud, robbery and other forms of armed violence.

It pointed to the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and World Bank Report 2007, which found that illegal firearms had become so readily available that potential offenders could rent a gun for as little as $100 an hour.

The link between gangs and firearms was found to be a troubling one by researchers, who noted that firearm use has increased over time for a range of crimes, including murder, wounding with intent and shooting with intent. Data show that for the period 2002 to 2010, a total of 2,421 murders were committed with the use of firearms.

A total of 3,264 murders were committed for this period. The report found that firearms have become the weapon of choice for murders.

Prior to 2000, firearms were used in fewer than one third of all homicides nationally.

The report noted the negative impact of criminal gangs on society: high rates of crime and violence; reduction in work force and reduced productivity; increased burden on State institutions in the health and law enforcement and judicial sectors.

It drew upon the findings of an ECLAC report, which disclosed that the percentage of GDP spent on national security in this country has increased steadily, while welfare expenditure has remained relatively constant.

"The prevalence of gangs in some areas is also related to a decrease in investments in those areas and in reduced opportunities for employment," the report said, adding, "In neighbourhoods such as Laventille, there are no businesses except small shops owned and operated by local residents.

"An added consequence of gang presence in such neighbourhoods is the devaluation of property and land value."

It also leads to the migration of law-abiding citizens and law enforcement personnel to other communities, according to the report.

"This results in a concentration of persons who are either more accepting of gangs or a criminal lifestyle, as well as persons who have no other alternative but to live in such neighbourhoods. This implies that the social controls which may derive from law-abiding persons is continuously weakened in such neighbourhoods.

"Compounding this problem is the fact that there is a reduction or withdrawal of corporate sponsorship for community events or programmes in neighbourhoods with gangs," said the report, noting that "an even more troubling phenomenon is that communities may develop a bond with gangs and their leaders and especially in situations where gang leaders provide assistance to community members".

Research has indicated that criminal gangs may even provide a law enforcement function for some communities. Researcher Katz, examining data in Gonzales, found that gangs had instituted a community court which met weekly and in which community matters, including the disciplining of young males for transgressions against the community, were attended to.

"Indeed, one resident of Gonzales went as far as saying that gangs are the first ones to respond to crime, the police are incompetent, take too long and never finish the work." Residents expressed the view that gang leaders would take care of them.

The draft UNDP report, which presents detailed analyses of crime and approaches to crime-solving, said it may be extremely difficult to encourage residents to relinquish their association with and support for gangs in their area.

"In the case of Gonzales, if residents feel that gangs provide a necessary law enforcement function where the protective services have failed to do so, then similar bonds will develop between the community and gangs. This is an extremely difficult situation since it makes the eradication of gangs much more complicated," said the report.

It said a more long-term solution lies in eliminating the social conditions which encourage the formation of gangs, and which encourage youth to feel they have no alternatives but to gain membership.

"In the case of Trinidad and Tobago, being born into some communities automatically reduces one's life chances since this immediately comes with stigmatisation and labelling provided by the larger society.

"Social development initiatives should seek to encourage the integration of such communities with the wider society so that stereotypes may be broken. Ultimately, young males who feel alienated from mainstream society and the legitimate opportunities which it provides will turn to their communities and the illegitimate opportunities which are provided by gangs or other similar entities," said the report.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 11, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
Just to turn this discussion upside down, I don't intend to return to UK to live. Despite the many negatives, already noted here, there are many positives.

Also, although the crime situation is bad here, in many ways I feel safer in Trinidad than I do in London. It appears that if you stick to certain areas and routes, you're fairly safe. In fact, I have only ever seen one fight in nearly 5 years in Trinidad. Compare that to almost weekly site of Londoners fighting in the streets.
I would say that my area of London, Hackney is almost as large in area as downtown Port of Spain, and possibly more populous. But in Trini, it appears the gangs stick to predefined areas - their turf - or attack another gangs turf and then retreat. In Hackney, gangs of kids on pushbikes are everywhere, most carrying "shanks" (knives or sharp weapons). They are the drug footsoldiers and enforcers, but also use their numbers to intimidate and rob other youngsters. Drive by shootings are rare, maybe two or three times a year.

So, in my opinion, while violent crime is higher in Trinidad, its more likely to be directed at people in the gang areas. Aripita Avenue, Cipriani Boulevard and Movie Towne are relatively crime free. In fact, I definitely feel more relaxed liming in PoS than in London. People still ask me why I never sit down in bars, and this is an instinct developed in London where a guy may just walk over to you and punch you for some disrespect you showed him....most commonly chatting up his woman or calling his football team sh*t. Of course, you wouldn't knowingly do this, but that's not the point...an English drunk is a fight waiting to happen, while a Trini drunk is a wine waiting to happen.

With regards to living standards, I really haven't taken too well to Trini food, so I long for some English grub such as a "propa breakfast dahn the caff".  I also find the Chinese food here relatively bland. I guess I'm used to traditional English "bland" food, but when I cook for Trinis, they usually love it and find it tasty!

Mostly, I find this is a land of opportunity. As mentioned everywhere on this site, the old school businessmen running the country are generally poor man managers. They don't devolve responsibility and don't understand the concept of delegation. They will give a nice job title, such as brand manager, but this guy has to run everything pass the boss, thereby stifling creativity. Everything is to the bosses taste. Therefore, as an example, marketing means sponsoring a fete. The Trinis returning from overseas are finding it tough to use their experience gained in corporate USA or UK to use in Trini, but its slowly happening. Concepts like Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental footprint reduction are very slowly being introduced.

I also think employee/employer relations are very, sorry to say this, third world. A contract means nothing. If a boss is unhappy, he will pay people late. The tax system is arcane with people openly trading on the streets without any use for accounts or accountability. This weakens the state and exhibits the government attitude that  "tax is a pain and while we have oil & gas, why bother?" What they don't see is that a proper taxation system creates order and discipline. It would also provide more jobs and more GDP.

Social services are virtually non existant and disabled people are completely disenfranchised and shunned by society. Anyone with difficulty walking or in a wheelchair cannot possibly travel a mile along a footpath (if there is one), safely.

But I see these as opportunities. T&T is a work in progress with an abundant amount of bright, ambitious people. The problem is, there is a glass ceiling put in place by an old school dynasty. TTFF is a perfect example, but the same mentality is prevalent in business and politics. Its like running through quicksand, but I'm convinced, once you can free yourself of the clinging mud, the country will move forward rapidly.

In England, its difficult to make a real difference as there are so many layers of red tape and its far too politically correct. Every sentence must be carefully measured before uttering. This severely slows down the creative process. The freedom of Trinidad & Tobago is the ability to actually reach the decision makers, and once you can get them onside, you can battle through the micro management style. As arcane as some of these businessmen are, like anywhere else in the world, results speak loudly and give you more freedom.

I hope I never lose my enthusiasm for T&T, as I tell people, I consider myself Tringlish. 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:03:15 PM by Football supporter »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #489 on: September 11, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
Just to turn this discussion upside down, I don't intend to return to UK to live. Despite the many negatives, already noted here, there are many positives.

Also, although the crime situation is bad here, in many ways I feel safer in Trinidad than I do in London. It appears that if you stick to certain areas and routes, you're fairly safe. In fact, I have only ever seen one fight in nearly 5 years in Trinidad. Compare that to almost weekly site of Londoners fighting in the streets.
I would say that my area of London, Hackney is almost as large in area as downtown Port of Spain, and possibly more populous. But in Trini, it appears the gangs stick to predefined areas - their turf - or attack another gangs turf and then retreat. In Hackney, gangs of kids on pushbikes are everywhere, most carrying "shanks" (knives or sharp weapons). They are the drug footsoldiers and enforcers, but also use their numbers to intimidate and rob other youngsters. Drive by shootings are rare, maybe two or three times a year.

So, in my opinion, while violent crime is higher in Trinidad, its more likely to be directed at people in the gang areas. Aripita Avenue, Cipriani Boulevard and Movie Towne are relatively crime free. In fact, I definitely feel more relaxed liming in PoS than in London. People still ask me why I never sit down in bars, and this is an instinct developed in London where a guy may just walk over to you and punch you for some disrespect you showed him....most commonly chatting up his woman or calling his football team sh*t. Of course, you wouldn't knowingly do this, but that's not the point...an English drunk is a fight waiting to happen, while a Trini drunk is a wine waiting to happen.

With regards to living standards, I really haven't taken too well to Trini food, so I long for some English grub such as a "propa breakfast dahn the caff".  I also find the Chinese food here relatively bland. I guess I'm used to traditional English "bland" food, but when I cook for Trinis, they usually love it and find it tasty!

Mostly, I find this is a land of opportunity. As mentioned everywhere on this site, the old school businessmen running the country are generally poor man managers. They don't devolve responsibility and don't understand the concept of delegation. They will give a nice job title, such as brand manager, but this guy has to run everything pass the boss, thereby stifling creativity. Everything is to the bosses taste. Therefore, as an example, marketing means sponsoring a fete. The Trinis returning from overseas are finding it tough to use their experience gained in corporate USA or UK to use in Trini, but its slowly happening. Concepts like Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental footprint reduction are very slowly being introduced.

I also think employee/employer relations are very, sorry to say this, third world. A contract means nothing. If a boss is unhappy, he will pay people late. The tax system is arcane with people openly trading on the streets without any use for accounts or accountability. This weakens the state and exhibits the government attitude that  "tax is a pain and while we have oil & gas, why bother?" What they don't see is that a proper taxation system creates order and discipline. It would also provide more jobs and more GDP.

Social services are virtually non existant and disabled people are completely disenfranchised and shunned by society. Anyone with difficulty walking or in a wheelchair cannot possibly travel a mile along a footpath (if there is one), safely.

But I see these as opportunities. T&T is a work in progress with an abundant amount of bright, ambitious people. The problem is, there is a glass ceiling put in place by an old school dynasty. TTFF is a perfect example, but the same mentality is prevalent in business and politics. Its like running through quicksand, but I'm convinced, once you can free yourself of the clinging mud, the country will move forward rapidly.

In England, its difficult to make a real difference as there are so many layers of red tape and its far too politically correct. Every sentence must be carefully measured before uttering. This severely slows down the creative process. The freedom of Trinidad & Tobago is the ability to actually reach the decision makers, and once you can get them onside, you can battle through the micro management style. As arcane as some of these businessmen are, like anywhere else in the world, results speak loudly and give you more freedom.

I hope I never lose my enthusiasm for T&T, as I tell people, I consider myself Tringlish.

many times as a child i would visit my aunt and uncle(whos english) in clapton common, we would pass through hackney as well, the area was getting rough back then, haven't been recently but i could imagine how it is now.

the healthcare system in trinidad is terrible, as well as safety in TT. I am the type of person who has a problem with being confined to a certain area or restricted movement.

as far as opportunities, there are some in TT that can be taken advantage of but as far as entertainment(film and music) there is zero opporunity for companies looking to go internationally. If you are a fete promoter and have your own mas band, thats the only real opportunities, other than owning a club/restaurant or importing business that offers products not available in TT.

Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental footprint reduction are new concepts to businessmen and women in TT, for the most part they have a selfish approach to most things in life and it carries through in their business practices.

Dealing with the micro management headache is something many ex pats rather not deal with and have left because their skills are better put to use and valued elsewhere. Not to mention the revenue increase from leaving the shores of trinidad and working for a company or on your own abroad.

300 plus million people to market to, beats 1.3 million
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:43:04 PM by Controversial »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #490 on: January 02, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »
Warner’s statistics show marked decline in crime
By Camille Clarke (Guardian).

Security Minister Jack Warner yesterday kept true to his promise and released his crime statistics for 2012. Yesterday’s figures were provided by the T&T Police Service’s DCP Mervyn Richardson. The information was made available through the Crime and Problem Analysis Branch (CAPA). According to CAPA data, there were 352 homicides in 2011 and 377 reported in 2012.

However, the statistics revealed that there was an overall decrease in murders from 547 in 2008 and 507 in 2009. The total of homicides that occurred between 2008 and 2012 is 2,256. The report also stated that there was an increase in sexual offences which rose at an alarming peak from a reported 709 in 2011 to 1,020 cases reported to the police last year.

Kidnappings also increased from 122 to 180. Burglaries was at an all time high at 5, 276 in 2008 but this was down to 4,262 in 2012. CAPA also reported a decline in larceny of vehicles to 1,029 which was 1,721 at its highest in 2009. Fraud offences were decreased from a high of 245 reported in 2008 to a reported 146 in 2012 and narcotic offences also decreased from 503 in 2008 to 428 last year.

Nonetheless, other serious crimes rose from 775 in 2008 when compared to 1,090 last year, CAPA stated. Northern Division lead in serious crimes with a total of 3,088 reports last year and Central not far behind with 3,071. Eastern Division was the lowest with 918 reports of serious crimes last year. Tobago recorded a total of 1,156  serious crimes in 2012.

The figures showed that altogether there was a 10 per cent reduction in serious crimes across both islands. The CAPA report claimed a total of 2,112 firearms were seized between 2008 and 2012. These consisted of revolvers, pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, rifles, air rifles, home-made shot guns, trap guns, flare guns and modified firearms.

With regard to road fatality figures, there were 188 reports compared with 262 in 2008. However, what is noteable is despite all the reports by CAPA, there was no information given on the police detection rate. On Monday, Warner claimed there was a decrease in serious crimes and homicides during this past year under the watch of the PP government.

Warner revealed the statistics after claims that “crime was making a slide, despite what the detractors in the Opposition PNM and certain sectors of the media were preaching.”  The e-mail opened with this greeting from Richardson: “Happy New Year all and may the peace of God be upon you. Thank God there were no murders or serious woundings as a result of shootings for the past hours. There was however one suicide in the Guanapo-Arima area.”

Crime statistics 2008-2012
OFFENCES   2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Total

MURDER 547 507 473 352 377 2,256
WOUNDING/SHOOTING 729 685 623 535 568 3,140
SEXUAL OFFENCE 692 779 456 709 1,020 3,956
KIDNAPPING 143 160 119 122 180 724
BREAK-INS/BURGLARY 4,541 5,276 5,207 4,220 4,262 23,956
ROBBERY 4,721 6,086 5,075 3,718 4,356 23,956
FRAUD OFFENCES 245 264 198 225 146 1,078
GENERAL LARCENY 3,782 3,952 4,058 3,118 3,551 18,461
LARCENY M/VEHICLE 1,635 1,721 1,380 901 1,029 6,666
LARCENY D/HOUSE 426 609 625 481 526 2,667
NARCOTIC OFFENCES 503 521 499 486 428 2,437
OTHER SERIOUS CRIME 775 923 905 1,010 1,090 4,703
TOTAL 18,739 21,933 19,918 15,877 17,533 94,000

Serious crime by divisions 2008-2012
Division 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Port-of-Spain 3,168 3,286 3,007 2,239 2,487
Southern 3,200 3,312 2,880 2,528 3,072
Western 1,904 2,197 1,839 1,350 1,424
Northern 3,506 4,600 4,151 3,421 3,088
Central 2,400 3,076 3,061 2,351 3,071
South Western 1,333 1,298 1,401 998 979
Eastern 1,079 1,324 1,063 746 918
North Eastern 1,092 1,825 1,589 1,305 1,338
Tobago 1,057 1,015 927 939 1,156

Serious crime by divisions 2008-2012
Firearms seized (2008 to 2012):

2012 391
2011 425
2010 382
2009 482
2008 432

Road Fatalities (2008 to 2012):
2008 262
2009 222
2010 206
2011 181
2012 188

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:03:21 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 02, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
hip hip!!!!!!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #492 on: January 17, 2013, 05:32:08 AM »
Murders rising
By Nalinee Seelal and STACY MOORE (Newsday).
Thursday, January 17 2013

THE COUNTRY’S murder rate continues to rise even as the police and National Security Minister Jack Warner insist that action will be taken.

Newsday has been told of three unrelated incidents in which a retiree was shot dead while having breakfast, a Guyanese national was gunned down and a teen died in hospital shortly after being shot.

In the first incident, 73-year-old Pascal Romero, a pensioner who retired after working several years at the Ministry of Agriculture, was at his Carapo, Arima home yesterday morning having breakfast with his wife Joyce.

While conversing in the kitchen which adjoins his home in Passion Lane, a man walked into the kitchen and greeted Romero and Joyce. Without warning, the man pointed a gun at the elderly man and opened fire. As Joyce screamed, the gunman fled the scene.

Romero, who was shot several times in his chest died on the floor in his kitchen. A team of officers coordinated by Snr Supt David Abraham, led by Supt Baldeo Nanan and Insp Wayne Baptiste visited the scene and carried out an unsuccessful search for the gunman.

Police got a description of the killer as being in his early 30s, wearing a cap, white short sleeve shirt, dark jeans, clean shaven with short hair and of African descent.

Romero’s relatives described him as a kind and generous person. Joyce was inconsolable at the scene yesterday and declined to be interviewed.

Carapo was identified on Tuesday by Warner as being one of the country’s hot spot crime areas. Joint police/army patrols have commenced in that area. No arrest has been made up to press time.

In the second murder, on Tuesday night Guyanese national Tyron Emmanuel, 28, was shot and killed in front of his Arena Road, Freeport home. He was shot once in the chest and his body found in the garage near his apartment home.

At about 10 pm, Emmanuel was entering the apartment with a suitcase filled with clothing clutched in his hand when neighbours were alerted by a single gunshot. A black Toyota Corolla car was then seen speeding off.

The police were called in and officers later found Emmanuel’s body. His landlord Paul Ramsumair told Newsday that Emmanuel lived at the apartment for the past six years. He lived alone, kept to himself and was generally a quiet and respectful person, Ramsumair said.

The landlord said Emmanuel may have been shot by bandits who thought the suitcase contained money or some other valuables. He was walking with this suitcase in his hand and these people probably thought he now came from abroad and had money and decided to kill him. This is the state of this country now,” Ramsumair said. Newsday was told Emmanuel worked as a bartender at Hi Way to Heaven Bar in Freeport. No arrest has been made.

In the third incident, 17-year-old Quincy Proster died shortly after midday yesterday after being shot three times by a gunman near his Morvant home. Police said that shortly after midday, Proster was standing at Cipriani Street in Morvant when he was approached by the gunman who shot him in the chest, at point blank range before running off.

Proster was rushed to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where he died while undergoing emergency surgery. These three killings have pushed the murder toll to 21 for the year. For the same period last year, there were 23 murders.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 29, 2013, 07:18:45 PM »
Father stabbed to death for bumping into women

By Gyasi Gonzales gyasi.gonzales@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Jan 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM ECT
(Story Updated: Jan 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM ECT )

THE FAMILY of a Sea Lots man who was stabbed to death after he bumped into a group of women along the Brian Lara Promenade, in Port of Spain are pleading with the police to solve the crime.

Akil Adams, 22, of Production Avenue, a father of one, was stabbed to the chest during the confrontation and succumbed to his injuries at the Port of Spain General Hospital on Saturday.

The victim's sister, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, however, described him as one of the most peaceful people she had ever known.

"He is not into this fighting thing because I know for a fact that he usually loses any fight he gets into," she said.  ???

She said the family was originally from Point Fortin and his funeral will be scheduled for this week at a Point Fortin church.

"I really want the police to solve this case because my brother did not deserve to die like this," she added.

According to the police around 1.30 a.m. last Saturday, Adams and a friend were walking west along the Promenade near First Citizens bank's Promenade Branch when Adams reportedly bumped into a group of women.

The women were accompanied by a man who sported several gold teeth, police said.

During an argument between the two groups, Adams was held by the man while one of the women took out a small knife from her purse and stabbed Adams to the left side of his chest puncturing his lungs and heart, according to an eyewitness.

Adams's friend was also beaten during the confrontation, police said.

The injured man was taken to hospital by a truck driver while the assailants ran away, police said. Adams died around 9 a.m. on Saturday.

An autopsy yesterday at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, confirmed that Adams died as a result of a single stab wound to the chest.

His killing has taken the murder toll to 32, according to an Express tally. The toll for the same period last year stood at 33.

Homicide Bureau officers are continuing investigations.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:21:13 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 13, 2013, 05:49:32 AM »

INJURED: An NCC (National Carnival Commission) security official assists a man, later identified as being a tourist, after he was struck in his head by persons unknown during Carnival celebrations indowntown Port-of-Spain yesterday (2013).
Author: SUREASH CHOLAI

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 13, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
Them boy and dem have tuh stop fackin wid the tourist dem, they come to bring revenue to the island, weh wrong wid allyuh??

no body eh saying yuh have tuh kiss dey arse, but allyuh doh fack wid the ppl nah man!  why my ppl soooo fackin stupid??
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Debbie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 06, 2014, 04:21:09 AM »
Maybe not or not at the moment.

Not only because of the crime, but the corruption and the law.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
Many people that I went to college with have or is in the process of moving back home. These are late 20s - early 30s people with Undergrad and graduate degrees.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2014, 11:42:52 AM »
Maybe not or not at the moment.

Not only because of the crime, but the corruption and the law.

Doh 4get Health Care a neighbour of ours died a few years ago of Dengue my sis say that just kept her in the US 4 additional 10 years. Worse  yet now where she living in a hot state.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »
my cousin likes being here once she is here, but never wants to work here ever in her career again, even with the pace of things on the outside, she prefers the very narrow latitude for bullshit and unnecessary inefficiencies over there that we seem to glorify as part of our culture over here..........take me for instance d year chelsea won the champions league, I left work both semifinal games to watch dat.....on mih way home pass in royal bank sando to see ah fren......I wukkin POS so invariable d question comes "what u doing here so early" to which I smugly reply "ah sick!", intentionally obvious lie............wit ah judging "screw" on she face she asks "what u have" to which I again reply, again smugly "chelsea v barca"...............a security guard standing wit she nearly choke and den ask mih "wahis d cough for dat" ... she then adds "public servants eh"........all dat to say, it have plenty people would like to be home, even wit d crime, but prefer d work ethic on d outside and also find that said work ethic generally leads to greater challenges and by extension opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:06:36 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 06, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
On the flip side, would you leave T&T now to start over somewhere else?  A pardna of mine in his early 30's got his Canadian permanent resident visa, quit his managerial position at a leading private-sector company, sold all his shit and flew up to the "greener pastures" of Toronto......2 years later he is yet to find a job, living in his sister's basement and counting his pennies.....

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
lefty i agree with that...i am in a whatsapp group with some friends and i know some of them abuse time off and sick leave etc.  up here that is no joke, you have a certain number of hours and that's that.

michael-j  some of my friends did the canada thing also...they finding it hard in tronto, buying houses in the city as hard if not harder than in trinidad....i often wonder about folks who went university homeand worked for a while before deciding eff this VS ppl like me who went university abroad and settled down but now thinking about coming home..

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
On the flip side, would you leave T&T now to start over somewhere else?  A pardna of mine in his early 30's got his Canadian permanent resident visa, quit his managerial position at a leading private-sector company, sold all his shit and flew up to the "greener pastures" of Toronto......2 years later he is yet to find a job, living in his sister's basement and counting his pennies.....

Why he didn't try to secure a job before he did all of that? People doh tink yes. And ah sure is pride keeping him in Canada.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #503 on: March 07, 2014, 12:39:34 AM »
A big Lack of medical care.

The piggish ways.

Skipping the lines at the grocery markets/stores.

Slow in handling business matters. one eg: They always telling you to come back, why not try to make and effort to fix the issue right there and then.

Too much Corruption.

I can go on an on....

I eh going dey to live at all, at all...

Who want to go could go but I eh going no wey....

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:16:05 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 07, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »
.they finding it hard in tronto, buying houses in the city as hard if not harder than in trinidad

Why he didn't try to secure a job before he did all of that? People doh tink yes. And ah sure is pride keeping him in Canada.

Canada not easy, it takes a lot of work or luck to make it here
People who say they go help you out, don't do anything.  The trini community is a joke.  Always jealous of each other success.  Unlike the Greeks, Jews, Italians, Sikhs and Chinese which do a better job of looking out for their own community.

Anyway, if people choosing to go to Canada, they choosing to catch hell for a few years before things pick up.  Not to mention 8 out of 12 months you lock up in your house cuz it too cold.  It have it pros like everywhere else, but grass not always greener. 
whey boy!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
A few things:

You won't experience bad service everywhere in T&T and you won't experience good service everywhere in places where our Diaspora reside. I would say there are pockets of organisations trying to improve as well... small pockets.

While the economy is barely growing they did arrest the decline ,albeit 3 years later than most of Latin America.

Gas and electricity real cheap. Even when they remove the subsidy entirely it will still be cheaper than most places.

The hot weather though uncomfortable isn't depressing like a bad winter. Wearing plenty clothes all the time is tiring. And their heat in the summer is worse than ours. At least we get some breeze.

Trinidadians are not as nice as we think we are. We could be very discourteous and abrasive to strangers.

I don't think we understand just how bad our traffic problem is and how that affects our quality of life.

House prices are ridiculously high and that market doesn't obey the rules of market forces. They just rise perpetually. People used to say renting is throwing money down a hole. Today renting is becoming a very viable option. A young can could more easily rent, buy a car and have something to save than qualify for a mortgage.

T&T is a who-you-know/gimme-gimme society. We believe in corruption so much that we are willing ignore it when it benefits us.  Not saying corruption doesn't exist in developed countries ( see Detroit and  Chicago) but we are perfecting the art.

We are stuck because we consider 'culture' to be sacrosanct. Any criticism of the way we do things means you're against Trinidadian culture and you're accordingly derided.

I understand perfectly why some people prefer to live abroad and visit home. If you have a decent job out there you will enjoy a very good life and still be able to run home to get some sun and soca.

I love my country . I honestly feel that the more quality people leave the shittier it will get.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Good post JG   :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
The posts on this thread are getting to a higher level. I've been thinking of this for many, many years now. Home is paradise. It is everything that I love and makes me feel good. One thing I struggle with is that it don't seem like Trini as a society really about anything. Or maybe I am lost by being in babylon too long.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
The posts on this thread are getting to a higher level. I've been thinking of this for many, many years now. Home is paradise. It is everything that I love and makes me feel good. One thing I struggle with is that it don't seem like Trini as a society really about anything. Or maybe I am lost by being in babylon too long.

I have been asking myself that same question about out here. I look at people who "have it all" and people "who doh have anything" and wonder what's this society about.  I don't know, but sometime here I feel like I'm spinning top on mud.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »
I have been asking myself that same question about out here. I look at people who "have it all" and people "who doh have anything" and wonder what's this society about.  I don't know, but sometime here I feel like I'm spinning top on mud.

you don't find anybody around who have similar views on what you trying to do?

1]; } ?>