April 18, 2024, 07:23:11 AM

Author Topic: IF NOT WENGER, WHO?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IF NOT WENGER, WHO?
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
so various press are starting to fan flames of Arsene Wenger looking at his options to leave the club he has carried to new heights in over a decade at the helm.

He is known for transforming unknowns into world stars and lengthning ledgends carriers beyond what they themselves expected. Allthe while building a new stadium with out going broke (Arsenal's debt is manageable unlike many other big clubs with all thier owners money still are several hundred MILLION pounds in debt.)

However 4 years without a trophy have left shareholders on the verge of lynching. Mob mentality i say, they forget that this man brough silver ware within his first full season. How fickle we fans are when the going gets rough, manufans were looking at fergie several years back like a junk yard dog does when he hasn't been fed in weeks. Don't be fooled manchester had lockers full of money they have to with all that silverware from fergies plundering, but the pie is only so big and Arsenal needs to figth for its piece as no one is handing out silverware.

all in all IF he decides to leave, and he is a man of his word and says he has never broken a contract, and the board certainly will not sack him. Who are Arsenal left with to carry on the wenger era, AND deliver trophies???

the same can be applied to the medias baying about arsenal needing to buy players, experienced players etc.
WHO then are these players? who is available at half the price of a Hollywood mansion??

your thoughts

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: IF NOT WENGER, WHO?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
from trolling gooner sites i have not found the answer to this question.   i think someone like rijkaard maybe, his cool management style and penchant for an attractive brand.  arsenal fans unlike some other fans want to see the team win but with a nice brand of football.   

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
I am a Chelsea fan but as we all know, Arsenal consistently play the most attractive brand in the prem. I like Wenger and although 4 years without a trophy is long for a big club like them, I don't believe Wenger is the issue...Aresenal have a strong squad, but could be stronger, but one of there issues I find is that they don't have a strong bench, decent, but not great.. Wenger needs money to buy some big name players, even if some have to suck bench, then that is the way it is....I hope they do not get rid of him...

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
i want him to stay

the last three seasons we were almost rans, injuries and bad luck, and shallow bench didnt help

literally missed out on the title last season with two games, Birmingham away and home that was the 4 points we needed

giggsy11

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
I would love tuh see arsene9 managing Real just tuh see if he would spend any money and what kind of players he would bring in.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:51:01 PM »
I would love tuh see arsene9 managing Real just tuh see if he would spend any money and what kind of players he would bring in.

interesting.

But EPL needs a side like arsenal to bring something different to the table.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 04:34:51 AM »
Just look up the list of child offenders it have nuff football coaches there....yuh bound to find a replacement.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:43:07 AM »
Anyone calling for Wegner's head is a fool.

He took the club from a decent one to an acclaimed one. Importantly, he did this on a budget that pales in comparison to his peers. If he leaves, there will be a mass exodus of players and it would likely get worse before getting better. That is, if it gets better.

The club is very frugal spending on transfers and players' salaries. Do you think they would splash out the cash on signing a new manager?

On top of that, what big-name manager would place himself in a position where he has a limited budget to spend on players?

Fools don't know how good they have it now!!!
Keep pushing him out the door. I promise they will regret it if he leaves!!!
TnT Patriot

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:11:17 AM »
Wenger going to Real Madrid. They have money to spend unlike Arsenal. The sad truth is- Silverware is the yardstick for success just as Island Scholarship is the yard stick for a good school in Trinidad. A side is as good as its bench. That is Wenger's problem when injuries step in plus he needs some experience with this side.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:26:22 AM »
Wenger going to Real Madrid. They have money to spend unlike Arsenal. The sad truth is- Silverware is the yardstick for success just as Island Scholarship is the yard stick for a good school in Trinidad. A side is as good as its bench. That is Wenger's problem when injuries step in plus he needs some experience with this side.

But Arsenal always said they had money if he needed, he just didn't believe in spending exorbitant amounts on players when he saw his kids as being enough. I think that year when he spend big money on Reyes (who end up abandoning him) and then he saw Fabregas become a star almost immediately (that same year I think), it kinda burn him. He start to believe that what is the point of spending when my youths making the step up instantaneously?
But maybe Arshavin will give him faith in spending a little money again.

If he goes, it have plenty coaches out there available...even Tony Adams might do well as it have an Arsenal structure in place already that he just have to fall into. O'Leary is a big Arsenal product too...he was a decent coach at one point. And that is not talking about all the Rijkaards, Mancinis, Ranieris, Klinnsmans, Van Bastens, Scolaris, Erikssons and all the national team coaches who will be unemployed by November when their team look to be out of the race for the World Cup.
Arsenal is an excitiing proposition for anybody. All they need is to buy a big player a year ($15m to $20m) for the next 2/3 seasons and they will be a big side again.

That's what ManU basically did. They had their homegrown talent then they spend on Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Tevez...basically one big buy a year, while they had Vidic and Ronaldo and young talent on the (relative) cheap. Arsenal have that part already..is just the one big buy a year.

This year it should be a central defender who is a leader. The midfield could hold on for one more year with Nasri, Arshavin, Fabregas and the youths. And they should lose faith in Bendtner and unleash Vela, Walcott and Eduardo alongside Van Persie (this is assuming that Adebayor leaves).

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:11 AM »
Just look up the list of child offenders it have nuff football coaches there....yuh bound to find a replacement.

thats the best you lowlife spurs scum and come up with?

how many mangers have you guys had in the last decade? how many trophies? one, may be two? right thought so

shut up and sit down

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »
IF NOT WENGER, WHO?

Bertie ...
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
who cares? ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 12:44:06 PM »

But Arsenal always said they had money if he needed, he just didn't believe in spending exorbitant amounts on players when he saw his kids as being enough.

Quite true... enough of this "no money" stuff. The rest of what you said makes sense as well.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »

But Arsenal always said they had money if he needed, he just didn't believe in spending exorbitant amounts on players when he saw his kids as being enough. I think that year when he spend big money on Reyes (who end up abandoning him) and then he saw Fabregas become a star almost immediately (that same year I think), it kinda burn him. He start to believe that what is the point of spending when my youths making the step up instantaneously?
But maybe Arshavin will give him faith in spending a little money again.

If he goes, it have plenty coaches out there available...even Tony Adams might do well as it have an Arsenal structure in place already that he just have to fall into. O'Leary is a big Arsenal product too...he was a decent coach at one point. And that is not talking about all the Rijkaards, Mancinis, Ranieris, Klinnsmans, Van Bastens, Scolaris, Erikssons and all the national team coaches who will be unemployed by November when their team look to be out of the race for the World Cup.
Arsenal is an excitiing proposition for anybody. All they need is to buy a big player a year ($15m to $20m) for the next 2/3 seasons and they will be a big side again.

That's what ManU basically did. They had their homegrown talent then they spend on Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Tevez...basically one big buy a year, while they had Vidic and Ronaldo and young talent on the (relative) cheap. Arsenal have that part already..is just the one big buy a year.

This year it should be a central defender who is a leader. The midfield could hold on for one more year with Nasri, Arshavin, Fabregas and the youths. And they should lose faith in Bendtner and unleash Vela, Walcott and Eduardo alongside Van Persie (this is assuming that Adebayor leaves).

I really don't know if is it that the club has a specific spending policy or whether its Wenger who just does not like to spend. I'm beginning to think that the club has certain cash flow parameters that Wenger must operate within and obviously limits how much is at his disposable. Arsenal had the highest turnover last year and yet there were about 7 other clubs that spent more than Arsenal.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
Wim
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
Anyone calling for Wegner's head is a fool.

He took the club from a decent one to an acclaimed one. Importantly, he did this on a budget that pales in comparison to his peers. If he leaves, there will be a mass exodus of players and it would likely get worse before getting better. That is, if it gets better.

The club is very frugal spending on transfers and players' salaries. Do you think they would splash out the cash on signing a new manager?

On top of that, what big-name manager would place himself in a position where he has a limited budget to spend on players?

Fools don't know how good they have it now!!!
Keep pushing him out the door. I promise they will regret it if he leaves!!!

well I guess I'm a fool.... first of all I have to ask you if your an real Arsenal fan, by that I mean one who follows the ins and outs of the club on a fairly regular basis

The man may be a good coach no one is denying that but his "frugal" spending policy has and will continue to be bring demise to Arsenal.

As for the claim that he has no money..bullsh*t...the money is there, he doesn't want to spend it, a reporter ask the man if he was to get 100 mil dollar cheque to spend on players he say he would give it back..I repeat give it back...he is using Arsenal to fulfill his purist agenda

Look at the season Xabi Alonso has had...Wenger refuse to sign the man for an extra two million pounds..same thing with Arshavin...would have been a summer signing probably with an extra two million pounds more (CL eligibility)....Christiano Ronaldo visited Hibury before Ole Trafford..uh know what the man go look to say in an interview relating to it..yea we were very interested and we would have gotten him for a fraction of what Man U paid for him (Man U played Sporting in a friendly and Sir Alex make sure and snap him up right there , Ribery , the same Ribery who mash up the WC 2006 and courting 45 mil pound price tag now, was practically begging Wenger to sign him for considerably less than that (before Bayern sale)....the list could go on and on..Drobga,Villa,Babel.....

The man is basically a cheap skate who would not admit he is wrong.....

anyone who believes Arsenal can win the League much less the League Cup with players like Bentener ,Song,Denilson...is a fool

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:38 PM »
If Arsenal was going through what its going through and was honestly making the best effort possible then no one would be complaining

take a look at Everton, they have no where near "limited" resources Wenger has and still are able to be in the top six very regularly (most likely going to be fifth this year),even make CL some years back.David Moyes, without a recognized striker for most of the first half of the season make a loan deal for Jo who has proved a success...its acts like that which show determination and fight...uh don't have the resources but you do what you can to survive

Arsenal needed a physically strong and injury free central defender from the beginning of the season, you went and sign Man U outcast Silvestre for 700,000 pounds, has spent more time in the injury room than on the substitutes bench. what would forking out 10-15 mil pounds on an realiable defender the likes of Micah Richards have done to you..prob have seen you in 3rd, even England international Mathew Upon , very good for West Ham this season (former Arsenal player I might add) would have been gotten for considerable less

stueps

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »
If Arsenal was going through what its going through and was honestly making the best effort possible then no one would be complaining

take a look at Everton, they have no where near "limited" resources Wenger has and still are able to be in the top six very regularly (most likely going to be fifth this year),even make CL some years back.David Moyes, without a recognized striker for most of the first half of the season make a loan deal for Jo who has proved a success...its acts like that which show determination and fight...uh don't have the resources but you do what you can to survive

Arsenal needed a physically strong and injury free central defender from the beginning of the season, you went and sign Man U outcast Silvestre for 700,000 pounds, has spent more time in the injury room than on the substitutes bench. what would forking out 10-15 mil pounds on an realiable defender the likes of Micah Richards have done to you..prob have seen you in 3rd, even England international Mathew Upon , very good for West Ham this season (former Arsenal player I might add) would have been gotten for considerable less

stueps
You show yourself with the Everton comment. They fighting for 5th-6th place. We fighting for Champions league.

Unless you have specific knowledge of Arsenal's finances and Transfer Budget, all you have stated is hearsay!

Arsenal became a heavyweight because of Wegner.

TnT Patriot

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »

stueps
You show yourself with the Everton comment. They fighting for 5th-6th place. We fighting for Champions league.

Unless you have specific knowledge of Arsenal's finances and Transfer Budget, all you have stated is hearsay!

Arsenal became a heavyweight because of Wegner.

lol..you hadda be kidding me right

padner.. 5th one place away from fourth (Arsenal closer to fifth than third) and the way Aston Villa, Everton and West Ham playing if they add at least 3 more classy players to their fold Arsenal looking at life outside the top 4 for a while , the point I was making is Moyes doing amazing things with a much smaller budget than Arsenal and not bitching about it..so much so he is rated very highly by Ferguson and considered the leading candidate for the Man U job when Sir Alex departs

the Jo reference shows Moyes is capable of adapting to deficiencies in his side something Wenger has stubbornly refused to ...last year when Arsenal throw away a decent lead in the second half of the season..during the January transfer window..Defoe went to Portsmouth for 9m and Anelka went to Chelsea...recent history indicates that Man U comes to life during the latter half of the season..paying 10m or so for an capable striker to ensure uh get the title is too much to ask for?

Arsenal was a heavyweight before Wenger star....his major successes came off the back of a strong defensive back line he met at Arsenal..

I think you meant fight fighting for CL qualification cuz they sh*t they play against Man U they cah be playing for the CL

and for your information nothing I say previously is heresay

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:34:14 PM by makaveli »

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
I liking the coach of Croatia and Johann Cruyff

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
isn't there a thread on the board for this sort of stuff?

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8058433.stm

BBC Audio link:
Former Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson says he does not expect Gunners boss Arsene Wenger to walk out on his current contract, amid speculation that Wenger may leave the North London club.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »
For all those who say Arsene Wenger cheap and egotistic - A different take on Wenger's situation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1184597/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Even-Simon-Cowell-work-Arsenal-talent.html

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:30 AM »
isn't there a thread on the board for this sort of stuff?
when you become a moderator you can do what you want until them try and find a plan to deal with everton lifting the cup in your face and the exodus in summer

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
Martin Jol
Frank Rijkaard

but Wenger not going anywhere, and he really isn't the problem.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
Martin Jol
Frank Rijkaard

but Wenger not going anywhere, and he really isn't the problem.

agreed i said IF the papers are to be believed

He's staying, i am glad

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »
For all those who say Arsene Wenger cheap and egotistic - A different take on Wenger's situation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1184597/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Even-Simon-Cowell-work-Arsenal-talent.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23413770-details/I%27ll+never+do+business+with+David+Dein+again/article.do

Wenger must be every owner's dream. "I said: 'What would you do if we gave you £100 million?' Arsene said: 'I'd give it back to you. You're going to have to be brave this year. I've got every confidence in our young players. There's nobody I want and I'm not going to buy just to impress everybody."

1]; } ?>