April 23, 2024, 12:05:28 AM

Author Topic: 2009 French Open.  (Read 13833 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2009 French Open.
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:15 PM »
hope fed could rejuvenate someting at roland garros.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 French Open.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:27:56 PM »
I not into golf/baseball/nfl/rugby. Anyting else I will b intrested. What sport u thou follow?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »
It will be a tough french open for Federer this year but hopefully he'll live up to his ranking if not better. He may have defeated Rafa in Madrid but the likelihood of him winning over a fit, hungry Nadal at the Open is very unlikely. He may do it in a best of three but a best of five is very difficult. I'm hoping he find some strength on the inside to over come his anxiety and nerves. He still has Djokovic though to get through who can be a tough cookie when he wants to.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »
I not into golf/baseball/nfl/rugby. Anyting else I will b intrested. What sport u thou follow?
neva follow ice hockey.cyar even name ah player.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 07:44:39 AM »

Ice hockey might be the most exciting live sport.  If it have a decent college/minor league team in your vicinity I'd recommend it. 

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
Draw analysis: Who'll soar on the French clay?by Brian Webber, Special to FOXSports.com
Rafael Nadal playing at Roland Garros seems like the closest thing we have to a "sure thing" in tennis. But the vagaries of clay always produce some unexpected results at the French Open. Let's dissect the draws.

Regal Rafa
The French gave up their monarchy a long time ago, but they may want to consider creating a honorary title for Rafael Nadal: the King of Clay. Nadal is going after a record fifth consecutive title at Roland Garros. The numbers are staggering for the Spaniard. Nadal has won 150 of the 155 matches he's played on clay since 2005. The world No. 1 has never lost a match at the French Open — he's never even been extended to a fifth set in a match in Paris. Nadal was riding a 33-match winning streak on clay before he lost to Roger Federer in the finals last week in Madrid.

Nadal could have some challenging matches on his road to another championship. Lleyton Hewitt is a potential third-round opponent. The former world No. 1 won the U.S. Clay Court Championship this year.

Two of Nadal's countrymen could pose more significant trouble for Rafa. Nadal could run into David Ferrer in the round of 16, while Fernando Verdasco is a possible quarterfinal opponent. Verdasco gave Nadal all he could handle in their semifinal match at the Australian Open this year.

There is also the possibility that Nadal could face 10th-seeded Nikolay Davydenko in the quarters. The Russian reached the semifinals at Roland Garros in 2005 and 2007.

Will Andy be dandy in Paris?
Based on the luck of the draw, third-seeded Andy Murray wound up in the top half with Nadal. In our preview of the clay-court season, we failed to give Murray enough credit for his improvement on clay. His work with Alex Corretja has paid major dividends this year. While Murray was bounced in his opening-round match in Rome, he's played well in recent weeks reaching the quarterfinals in Madrid and the semifinals in Monte Carlo.

Murray will have to overcome some challenges if he's going to take on Nadal in the semifinals. The Scot has a tough assignment in his opening-round match against Juan Ignacio Chela, who reached the French Open quarterfinals in 2004.

Murray could take on the hard-hitting Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in the third round. If the seedings hold, a quarterfinal match between Murray and seventh-seeded Gilles Simon would be intriguing. While the Frenchman will receive a boost playing in front of a partisan crowd, the enigmatic Simon has underachieved in his clay-court matches this year.

Bottom half: Federer or Djokovic?
No. 2 seed Roger Federer hopes to make history in Paris by winning his first French Open championship this year. Federer is also looking to capture his 14th Grand Slam victory, which would tie Pete Sampras' all-time mark. Federer potentially has a straightforward path to the semifinals. While Alberto Martin could pose some problems in an opening-round match, the Swiss star is the class of his section. If Andy Roddick somehow survives to the quarterfinals, Federer should end the American's run in France.

Federer will carry confidence with him to Paris coming off his win over Nadal in Madrid. However, Novak Djokovic may have played a role in Federer's victory by forcing Nadal to expend so much energy in their classic four-hour semifinal in the Spanish capital. Djokovic may have what it takes to emerge from the bottom half of the draw to take on Nadal (in all likelihood) in the men's final. The Serbian has shined in the clay-court events leading up to Roland Garros, losing to Nadal in the Masters Series events in Monte Carlo, Rome, and Madrid.

Djokovic could play a spicy quarterfinal match against Juan Martin Del Potro. If Novak can win that match, it could propel him to a semifinal win over Federer and Djokovic's first final in Paris.

Women's draw: Surging Safina
World No. 1 Dinara Safina has been defending more than rankings points in recent weeks. While she reached the Roland Garros final last year and played in the championship match of this year's Australian Open, the Russian seems wary of her critics who point out that she hasn't won a Grand Slam title.

Safina, however, has only lost one match since moving to the top spot in the rankings and won consecutive titles in Rome and Madrid. Safina has worked hard to improve her fitness and her control over her emotions on the court. Both should serve her well as she looks to win one more match at the French Open than a year ago.

Safina is the player to beat among the women, but there are other skilled competitors in her portion of the draw. Ninth-seeded Victoria Azarenka reached the fourth round of the French Open last year and could be poised for a breakout performance in Paris. Defending champion Ana Ivanovic has battled injuries and inconsistency in 2009. Ivanovic will try to play through the pain of a knee ailment, but the Serbian has been unable to maintain her momentum from her French Open win last year.

Will it be an all-Williams final?
Venus and Serena Williams find themselves on opposite sides of the draw. We'll pencil Serena into the singles final, but it's unlikely her older sister will be able to make it out of the top half of the draw. Venus has only reached one final in Paris — in 2002, losing to Serena with the title at stake. Safina is playing with too much confidence to lose to Venus should they meet in the semifinals.

Will Serena Williams' Grand Slam killer instinct kick in at Roland Garros? (Daniel Ochoa de Olza / Associated Press)

There are objective reasons to doubt Serena's ability to reach the championship match. She lost her opening-round matches in Rome and Madrid and was bothered by a knee injury last week in Spain. Nevertheless, Serena has repeatedly demonstrated an amazing ability to raise her play in the Slams.

Williams could have to overcome Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals, with Jelena Jankovic or Elena Dementieva looming as potential semifinal opponents. Serena suggested recently that she is still the No. 1 player in the world despite what the rankings indicate. The American has a chance to validate those words at Roland Garros.

Women's player to watch
Caroline Wozniacki. The Dane has moved into the top 10 in the rankings for the first time in her career. Wozniacki has vastly improved her game on clay. She won the singles title at Ponte Vedra Beach and lost to Safina in the finals in Madrid.

Wozniacki was unable to play last week in Warsaw due to a minor back injury which provided much-needed rest. Wozniacki has competed in the most tour-level events over the last 12 months. With a strong backhand and excellent point construction, the 10-seed will be tough to beat in the bottom half of the draw.

Let's not overlook Maria Sharapova either. The three-time Grand Slam champion has finally returned to the WTA Tour after missing nine months because of a nagging shoulder injuruy. Sharapova only played three matches in her tuneup event in Poland, losing to Alona Bondarenko in the quarterfinals. While Nadia Petrova will be a heavy favorite to knock Sharapova out in the second round in Paris, it's good to see the former world No. 1 back on the court.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »
Looked a bit at Safin this morning. He's looking good.

Also Leyton was incredble against Ivo Karlovic. Man running like he possessed.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »

Ice hockey u mean WWF. D highlights does just have peeps fightin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »

I now reading that Karlovic had 55 aces.  A tournament record.  that sound like a record for aces in any loss ever.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »

I now reading that Karlovic had 55 aces.  A tournament record.  that sound like a record for aces in any loss ever.

Probably at the French but Goran Ivanisevic probably could have had about the same at Wimbledon in the nineties. You may be right about it being the most Aces in a match.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
Nadal breaks record with opening win at French OpenAssociated Press
PARIS (AP) - The modern day King of Clay eclipsed another mark Monday, this time breaking the French Open men's record for consecutive wins.

Top-seeded Rafael Nadal looked his usual dominant self in the first round, beating Marcos Daniel of Brazil 7-5, 6-4, 6-3 for his 29th straight win on the red clay at Roland Garros.

"At the beginning, I didn't quite get the best feelings, but I won in three sets. That's very positive," Nadal said. "I should have won more easily ... but it was a difficult match."

Roger Federer, the man Nadal beat in the last three French Open finals, had an easier time in his opening match, defeating Alberto Martin of Spain 6-4, 6-3, 6-2.

Dinara Safina, the top-seeded player in the women's draw, advanced along with No. 3 Venus Williams and unseeded Maria Sharapova.

Nadal's win bettered the French Open record held by Bjorn Borg, who won 28 straight from 1978-81. Nadal also equaled the overall tournament record, matching the 29 straight that Chris Evert won between 1974-75 and 1979-81. Evert did not play at the French Open from 1976-78.

Nadal was broken three times by Daniel, but the top-seeded Spaniard remained perfect on the French Open's red clay as he tries to become the first player to win five straight titles at Roland Garros.

"His backhand is better than his forehand, but I think I made it a bit easy for him," Nadal said. "That's my opinion."

Federer has won 13 major titles, but he still needs to win the French Open to complete a career Grand Slam.

Against Martin, who missed the last two French Open tournaments because of injury and then by failing to qualify, Federer appeared to play effortlessly.

"Once I got the upper hand, things were pretty much in control," Federer said. "I served well when I had to, and mixed it up. That's how I want to play. I'm happy to be through without a fright."

Also on the men's side, sixth-seeded Andy Roddick of the United States, No. 10 Nikolay Davydenko of Russia, No. 12 Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, No. 17 Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland, No. 23 Robin Soderling of Sweden, No. 24 Jurgen Melzer of Austria, No. 28 Feliciano Lopez of Spain, No. 30 Victor Hanescu of Romania and No. 32 Paul-Henri Mathieu of France advanced. No. 19 Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic lost to Simone Bolelli of Italy 6-4, 6-4, 5-7, 4-6, 6-3.

Roddick beat French wild-card entry Romain Jouan 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 to win a match at the French Open for the first time since 2005.

Safina routed Anne Keothavong of Britain 6-0, 6-0, spraying shots to all parts of the court.

"I was just playing point by point, game by game, and it ended up like this," said Safina, half of the only brother-sister combination alongside Marat Safin to have served as the No. 1-ranked player in the world.

Keothavong had a couple of chances against Safina, but she wasted two break points in the third game of the first set, and led 40-0 in the fourth game of the second but couldn't hold on.

"When that's happening to you all you want to do is get on the scoreboard, but I wasn't able to do that," said Keothavong, who saved four match points before Safina hit a forehand winner down the line. "It just kept getting harder and harder."

Victoria Azarenka and Ana Ivanovic won 6-0, 6-0 at the French Open last year, and Serena Williams did it in 2003.

Williams, a seven-time Grand Slam champion, survived a sudden second-set slump to beat Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-1, 4-6, 6-2. She won the match's first five games, while Mattek-Sands asked for a medical time-out during the first set so a trainer could look at her right wrist.

"I'm definitely a third-set player," Williams said. "Once I get to the third set ... I feel a new level coming."

Williams has never won the French Open, but she did reach the final in 2002 when she lost to little sister Serena. Overall, Williams holds a 36-12 record at Roland Garros, giving her the most wins of any player in the women's draw at the tournament.

Sharapova played with a bandage on her ailing right shoulder, and she struggled in the first set before beating Anastasiya Yakimova of Belarus 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.

The unseeded Russian was broken three times in the first set, but she opened the second with four straight wins before being broken once again. Before the start of the next game, Yakimova called for a trainer to work on her lower back.

"I started pretty lousy," said Sharapova, playing in a Grand Slam match for the first time since last year's Wimbledon. "I was just a little sloppy. But I totally changed it around, and I started playing a lot better and more aggressive."

No. 12 Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland, No. 13 Marion Bartoli of France, No. 15 Zheng Jie of China, No. 20 Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia, No. 22 Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain and No. 29 Agnes Szavay of Hungary also advanced to the second round of the women's tournament.

In upsets, No. 23 Alisa Kleybanova of Russia lost to Polona Hercog of Slovenia 6-2, 4-6, 6-1; No. 14 Flavia Pennetta of Italy was eliminated by Alexa Glatch of the United States 6-1, 6-1; No. 26 Anna Chakvetadze of Russia lost to Mariana Duque Marino of Colombia 3-6, 6-4, 6-4; and No. 17 Patty Schnyder of Switzerland fell to Kateryna Bondarenko of Ukraine 6-4, 6-3.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »
Nadal, Sharapova, Safina, Murray win at FrenchAssociated Press
PARIS (AP) - On a day of adieus at the French Open, Maria Sharapova managed to stick around.

Trailing through most of the third set in her toughest test since shoulder surgery, Sharapova pulled out a 6-2, 1-6, 8-6 victory over 11th-seeded Nadia Petrova on Wednesday to reach the third round at Roland Garros, her return to Grand Slam tennis. 2009 French Open

"I kind of started stumbling away. Things went in the wrong direction," said Sharapova, who missed the U.S. Open and Australian Open. "I was just glad I could pick myself up and keep fighting."

That she did: Five times, Petrova was one point away from serving for the match. But Sharapova didn't allow her to convert those chances.

"She really showed, even though she has been out for a while, she's willing to compete till the end," Petrova acknowledged.

Sharapova's French Open continues, as does Rafael Nadal's winning streak at Roland Garros - which he extended to a tournament-record 30 matches - but there will be no more trips to the clay-court major for Marat Safin or Fabrice Santoro. Both are retiring at season's end, and both bowed out Wednesday, albeit in quite contrasting ways, which is fitting, given their polar-opposite styles of play and personalities.

The big-hitting, loud-talking Safin succumbed after a 4 1/2-hour, five-set bit of theater; the spin-mixing, gentlemanly Santoro played all of 8 minutes to conclude his loss to Christophe Rochus in a match suspended the night before by darkness.

"My game style was out of date when I arrived on the tour. I got on the tour in the '90s, and my style dated back to the '70s," said Santoro, who tied a French Open record by playing in his 20th French Open. "So when I arrived, I was, you know, 20 years late already."

Safin, meanwhile, entertained as only he can, diving for shots, kicking at the clay in disgust, and gesturing at fans to make even more noise when they got on his case for arguing calls. The two-time major title winner eventually was beaten by 134th-ranked Josselin Ouanna of France 7-6 (2), 7-6 (4), 4-6, 3-6, 10-8.

"I played terrible," the 20th-seeded Safin said.

He was done as dusk fell, around the time Venus Williams lost the first set of her match against Lucie Safarova. They were told to pack up, because there wasn't enough light.

Winners included No. 3 Andy Murray, No. 7 Gilles Simon - who eliminated Robert Kendrick, making Andy Roddick the only U.S. man left - No. 8 Fernando Verdasco and Lleyton Hewitt, who faces Nadal next.

Safin's younger sister, No. 1-ranked Dinara Safina, won in straight sets, as did defending champion Ana Ivanovic and 16-year-old Michelle Larcher de Brito of Portugal, who upset No. 15 Zheng Jie of China.

Sharapova had a much longer day's work. But that's OK with her.

The Russian was so disappointed to miss the U.S. Open and Olympics last year, she couldn't bear to watch on TV. By the time the Australian Open came around in January, Sharapova found herself tuning in, then being inspired to head to the gym late at night.

"I know what I'm capable of out there. I know what I've done before. And I know I can do it again and even better," said Sharapova, once ranked No. 1 and now 102nd.

There were moments Wednesday when Sharapova looked as if she'd never been away, pushing Petrova this way and that - particularly while winning the first set's last five games.

There also were moments when Sharapova appeared a step slow - particularly while losing second set's last five games.

So Sharapova found herself playing her second straight three-setter, with rain falling and the temperature in the low 50s. Both women draped towels over their legs during changeovers, and Petrova donned a jacket.

But Sharapova saved six break points in the final set, serving well when absolutely necessary.

"She didn't give me any chance," said Petrova, twice a French Open semifinalist.

When Petrova sent a forehand wide to end the match, Sharapova covered her face with her fists. A moment later, she glanced at the players' guest seats, normally where her father sits. But he isn't at the French Open, because, as Sharapova put it: "After I won my third Grand Slam, he said, 'Look, I like hiking and skiing a lot,' and he kind of wanted to pursue that. So he's currently enjoying his life."

And his daughter is once again enjoying hers. She smiled as she looked up at her coach, Michael Joyce, who traveled back and forth weekly between Los Angeles and Phoenix with Sharapova when she was rehabilitating her shoulder. As Sharapova beamed, Joyce stood and pounded his right fist over his heart.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
Looked at Federer today and he looking like anybody's meal. In every major tournament he is still around to the last day most of the time though, so let's wait the end. Now being down 5-1 to this guy he played is one thing,as he was able to turn up his game and level the third set. Try being down like that against Nadal or Djokovic and he will be in for a quick finish. ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
Venus knocked out of French Open in third roundAssociated Press
PARIS (AP) - Venus Williams was eliminated from the French Open on Friday, losing in the third round of the clay-court major for the third straight year.

The third-seeded Williams, who reached the 2002 final at Roland Garros, lost to No. 31 Agnes Szavay of Hungary 6-0, 6-4.

The seven-time Grand Slam champion was playing for the third straight day. She lost the first set of her second-round match against Lucie Safarova on Wednesday before play was suspended because of darkness. Williams saved a match point before beating Safarova on Thursday.

She was also stretched to three sets in the first round.

Ana Ivanovic had little trouble in her match, advancing to the fourth round by dominating another opponent in a 6-0, 6-2 win over Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic.

The defending champion from Serbia has lost only eight games since being taken to a tiebreaker in her opening match.

"(The) score doesn't indicate how hard I had to work for some points," Ivanovic said. "She started playing much, much better in the second set, and started hitting the ball much heavier. I just played really good and stayed in the moment and did what I had to do out there."

Ivanovic, a former No. 1-ranked player, won her only Grand Slam title at last year's French Open. She lost in the final at Roland Garros in 2007.

Novak Djokovic reached the third round in the men's tournament, quickly completing his suspended match by easily winning the final set and beating Sergiy Stakhovsky of Ukraine 6-3, 6-4, 6-1.

The fourth-seeded Djokovic won the first two sets Thursday, but the match was stopped because of darkness. He broke Stakhovsky to open the third set and had little trouble the rest of the way.

"It's not pleasant when you don't finish a match in one day," Djokovic said. "But I was lucky to come back and be two sets up."

Djokovic won his only Grand Slam title at the 2008 Australian Open, but the Serb has reached at least the semifinals at all four major tournaments.

No. 29 Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany also advanced to the third round, beating 2003 French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-3 in another match suspended by darkness Thursday night.

Later Friday, top-seeded Dinara Safina was scheduled to get back on court, as were four-time defending champion Rafael Nadal and third-seeded Andy Murray.

On Thursday, Jelena Dokic's professional comeback took a painful turn.

The Australian was leading fourth-seeded Elena Dementieva in the second round of the tournament when she twisted her body into position for a backhand. Not too long after that, she retired from the match in tears.

"Don't know what it is yet," said Dokic, who reached the quarterfinals at the Australian Open after a three-year absence from Grand Slam tennis. "It was very painful, and I just hope it's not too serious."

The withdrawal, with the unseeded Dokic leading 6-2, 3-4, sent Dementieva into the third round at Roland Garros along with Serena Williams, and Jelena Jankovic.

Roger Federer also made it through, rallying from a 5-1 deficit in the third set on his least favorite surface to beat Jose Acasuso of Argentina 7-6 (8), 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-2. Fifth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro and No. 6 Andy Roddick also advanced.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:47 AM »
STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS VENUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:18:28 PM »
Saw a bit of Venus today. As usual she and Serena could be so lethal on a good day and so amateur on another.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »
The apocalypse has just happened....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8075864.stm

Champion Nadal falls to Soderling 
FRENCH OPEN
Venue: Roland Garros Date: 24 May - 7 June
Coverage: Live on BBC Red Button, live streaming and daily text commentary on BBC Sport website, updates on BBC Radio 5 Live plus second week commentary on BBC 5 Live Sports Extra. TV coverage on Eurosport.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nadal was on a 31-match unbeaten run at Roland Garros

World number one and defending champion Rafael Nadal saw his 31-match unbeaten run at the French Open come to an end with a shock defeat by Robin Soderling.

Nadal, who was bidding for a fifth straight Roland Garros title, lost 6-2 6-7 (2-7) 6-4 7-6 (7-2) in one of the biggest upsets in tennis history.

Soderling's win comes a month after was beaten 6-1 6-0 by Nadal in Rome.

"I told myself this is just another match," said the jubilant Swede, 24, who will now play Germany's Tommy Haas.

"All the time, I was trying to play as if it was a training session.

"When I was 4-1 up in the (fourth set) tie-break, I started to believe."

Soderling, seeded 23, had lost his previous three matches against Nadal but seemed a man transformed on Court Philippe Chatrier.

He unleashed one formidable service game after the next, while his relentless, pinpoint groundstrokes forced Nadal to constantly scramble just to stay in contention.

When the Swede took the opening set it was the first time Nadal had dropped a set at the French Open since the 2007 final against Roger Federer.

The Spaniard struggled from the outset against a player with whom he was involved in an unsavoury spat at Wimbledon two years ago.

Nadal was broken in the fourth game as Soderling went 4-1 ahead and again in the crucial eighth as the free-flowing, uninhibited Swede continued to find the corners with devastating accuracy.

He deservedly claimed the opening set when the champion netted a backhand.

Despite missing his usual fluency, and visibly rattled by Soderling's unrelenting assault, Nadal broke for the first time to lead 2-1 in the second set, only to surrender his advantage in the 10th game.

Nadal would then have been expected to storm past the 6ft 4in Swede but Soderling executed a fine backhand volley to go to 5-5.

The Spaniard did, however, run away with the tie-break to level the match when a Soderling forehand flew long.

Soderling, coached by compatriot and 2000 finalist Magnus Norman, refused to yield, breaking to lead 4-3 in the third set before backing it up for a 5-3 advantage.

He took the set when Nadal netted another weary forehand off yet another deep Soderling drive.

Nadal broke to lead 2-0 in the fourth set, but Soderling hit back immediately as another tie-break loomed.

And when it arrived Soderling clinched his famous win on a second match point when Nadal went wide with a pick-up.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
wow. talk about a shocker. federer partying tonight

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 11:40:22 AM »
as a Federer fan I doh know what to think about this.  I'd like to think that Federer woulda been able to do the job himself.

so it go.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »
I doh know if federer would be partying for 2 reasons.
1. He can't afford to relax now that Nadal gone
2. The normal group of fools on TV will always say how he only win b/c Nadal not there if he does win it.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
well not literally partying.

but no nadal, no djokovic, federer has to up his game and win this title. i'm a big fed fan and i believe he will do it.

actually last September after the US open i posted on here that i think this french open was the one federer would have the best chance to win because nadal will either get worn down or injured.

fed can't afford to be overconfident - but I can.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »
maybe fed could finally win de french.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »
maybe fed could finally win de french.

4 real

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »
i want fed to do it but he still have to get past murray, davydenko and others.  if he does win it though he will stake his claim as one of the greatest in history without doubt.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »
This was the shock of the day, the week and the year, I feel, in any sport. No way did I expect to see Nadal beaten in this French Open. This is equivalent to Federer losing to Nadal in the Wimbledon Final 08. It will be a scorcher in Wimbledon 09 because of this result. Nadal will be ready to prove a point. This may not be a straight forward thing at all for Federer because we know how he suffer from nerves. I put him in the same bracket with Asafa Powell, nerves when he back up against a wall. LEt's see what this year's French will have in store for us.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »
This was the shock of the day, the week and the year, I feel, in any sport. No way did I expect to see Nadal beaten in this French Open. This is equivalent to Federer losing to Nadal in the Wimbledon Final 08. It will be a scorcher in Wimbledon 09 because of this result. Nadal will be ready to prove a point. This may not be a straight forward thing at all for Federer because we know how he suffer from nerves. I put him in the same bracket with Asafa Powell, nerves when he back up against a wall. LEt's see what this year's French will have in store for us.

Powell is a rank hound at d big 1's Federer have nuff grand slams

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:08 AM »
Federer is down one set this morning against Tommy Haas. He should win though.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:40:28 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:43 AM »
Federer down two sets and 3-4 in the third set.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »
Federer wins.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »
close call but he started rolling late. not the most inspiring of performances but it'll do.

1]; } ?>