March 29, 2024, 07:01:04 AM

Author Topic: 2009 French Open.  (Read 13721 times)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 French Open.
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
roddick lost again...poor fella, he need a bushbath

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »
Deep down, I feel Federer happy Nadal lost.  I would!
It was looking like a lost cause, ah mean, the man tried everything. However, he must make this one count, so the pressure is probably greater now. The thing is, if he does take the French, I feel he go take Nadal in years to come, now that the pressure would be off.
Ketch footballitis

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
It was looking like a lost cause, ah mean, the man tried everything. However, he must make this one count, so the pressure is probably greater now. The thing is, if he does take the French, I feel he go take Nadal in years to come, now that the pressure would be off.
if fed eh win this year,one must question him as being de greatest to ever hold ah tennis racket.of course he must b glad nadal out.i would b.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
Recorded and just finished watching it. Federer is really the peoples champion. Did anyone see the response from the crowd when he won the game to go up 5-4 in the third? Literally they were breathing a sigh of relief when he won that game to stay in the match in the third set. The return from every bathroom break, the end of the fourth set, the chance to go up 5-2 in the fifth set and finally at the end of the match, the crowd was totally behind him.

The best though was after they done and packing up. No one left the stadium and the crowd was going bananas for this man, shouting Roger, Roger, Roger untill he left the arena. Nadal is loved and respected by the tennis community but no one is loved more than Roger Federer.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:35:46 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »

I don't think it's all that deep down. I agree with his view though that it's not relevant at the moment. He still needs to get to the finals and as we saw it's not an easy road.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 11:17:36 AM »
Recorded and just finished watching it. Federer is really the peoples champion. Did anyone see the response from the crowd when he won the game to go up 5-4 in the third? Literally they were breathing a sigh of relief when he won that game to stay in the match in the third set. The return from every bathroom break, the end of the fourth set, the chance to go up 5-2 in the fifth set and finally at the end of the match, the crowd was totally behind him.

The best though was after they done and packing up. No one left the stadium and the crowd was going bananas for this man, shouting Roger, Roger, Roger untill he left the arena. Nadal is loved and respected by the tennis community but no one is loved more than Roger Federer.

Well, as much as the French public love Federer, it is going to be firmly in Monfils' corner on Wednesday.

After all, they are French first and Federer admirers second.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
Nadal is loved and respected by the tennis community but no one is loved more than Roger Federer.

Well, as much as the French public love Federer, it is going to be firmly in Monfils' corner on Wednesday.

After all, they are French first and Federer admirers second.
[/quote]

True. They will back Monfils all the way but if is anyone they doh mind beat they boy is, Federer. If he beats Federer they will expect him to take the Open.

My prediction is federer in four sets.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
meh gyul sharapova out.DAMN.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »
Soderling imitating Nadal in 2007 making fun of his mannerisms.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BwvgnYDTTQ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BwvgnYDTTQ0</a>

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
Definitely no love was lost between these two. That was a nice take 'down memory lane'.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:10:17 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 11:06:30 AM »
Serena lorse.

There goes my interest in the women's singles.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
Serena lorse.

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »
If anybody still watching. Who allyuh feel go rreach the finals for the men? I feel the final will be between Fernando Gonzalez and Federer. This could be Fernando's chance to win a major.

Edit: Looking at the Women semifinal between Safina and Cibulkova. Cibulkova have me lusting over them legs. ;D

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:03:15 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
look at this Samantha Stosur muscles.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »

That's a Man Baby!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 01:00:03 PM »
Stosur have some nice ones too but I've been a close admirer of Svetlana Kuznetsova. Another fantastic looking chick is Elena Dementieva.

One year I was at the US. Open hitting with some Junior players and this player walked up to me and asked if she could join us. I thought it was another Junior in the Open so I said, 'sureeee'. All the officials and everyone cleared the court of all the kids and told me its all yours. Start hitting with her and noticed a swarm of spectators right around the court oohing and ahhing at every shot. Played with her for about ten minutes and then another Playing Professional walked in an took over my spot to hit with the girl. Never thought anything of it untill the following day and saw the chic playing a semifinal match, I was totally blown away to recognise this to be the girl I was hitting with the day before, turned out to be Dementieva.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:05:19 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:04:14 PM by Werklmann »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »
Stosur have some nice ones too but I've been a close admirer of Svetlana Kuznetsova. Another fantastic looking chick is Elena Dementieva.

One year I was at the US. Open hitting with some Junior players and this player walked up to me and asked if she could join us. I thought it was another Junior in the Open so I said, 'sureeee'. All the officials and everyone cleared the court of all the kids and told me its all yours. Start hitting with her and noticed a swarm of spectators right around the court oohing and ahhing at every shot. Played with her for about ten minutes and then another Playing Professional walked in an took over my spot to hit with the girl. Never thought anything of it untill the following day and saw the chic playing a semifinal match, I was totally blown away to recognise this to be the girl I was hitting with the day before, turned out to be Dementieva.

Yuh eh pull de digits on de sly?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
To this day man does gih me ole talk with that. ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
Aye. Hear some wicked psychology Del Potro using on Federer. Everybody know he(Federer) does suffer from serious nerves so he waving the apple infront him. Ah love it. ;D

http://www.tennis.com/tournaments/2009/frenchopen/frenchopen.aspx?id=177334
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
Serena lorse.

there goes my interest in the entire tournament :-\
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
To this day man does gih me ole talk with that. ;D

Small ting, yuh probably dodge a bullet.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
Don't blame Federer for Rafa's success

Fifteen years from now, Roger Federer will walk past the Grand Slam trophy case on the way to his study and glance at the voodoo doll of Tommy Haas propped up next to his 2009 French Open trophy.

Just a little extra reminder of the one he almost shanked away in a fourth-round match Monday.

For as well as Haas served, moved around the court and used a high kick on his returns -- which always has given Federer trouble on clay -- the real reason Federer nearly blew his chance to play someone other than Rafael Nadal on Sunday was the uncharacteristically high number of unforced mishits he sprayed around the court during the first two sets. Maybe it was the wind. Maybe he wasn't feeling himself. Or maybe the pressure of once again being considered the favorite at the tournament he wants to win most got to him. Whatever the reason, there could be no escaping the fact that, with his nemesis sitting poolside in Mallorca, this would be Federer's best shot in five years to complete a career Grand Slam.

At age 27, he hasn't run out of opportunities. But at 27, the opportunities aren't nearly as plentiful as they used to be.

However, even if Federer never wins at Roland Garros, he has done enough already to be considered one of the all-time greats on clay. Here's why.

When looking at players within the parameter of all-time greats, we should ask two simple questions: What did they win? Whom did they lose to?

With Federer, the latter obviously is key.

Since 2004, the only men to have beaten Federer at the French are four-time champion Nadal and three-time champion Gustavo Kuerten. Together, they have a 67-9 record in Paris, including Nadal's first loss at Roland Garros this week. If Federer makes it to the final for a fourth consecutive year, he will join Nadal, Ivan Lendl (three French titles) and Bjorn Borg (six) as the only players to do so. In a conversation about consistency on clay, to be mentioned in a group that owns 12 French Open titles among its players suggests you're more than just good on clay. Sure, he was bounced out of the first round in Paris three times early in his career. But the same thing happened at Wimbledon, and no one questions his place in history there.

Obviously, Federer has won Wimbledon. He hasn't won the French. But as he demonstrated against Haas -- down two sets to none, then 3-3 in the third -- Federer is every bit as resilient a champion on clay as he is on any other surface. To compare him to Sampras because neither has won the French is like comparing Rex Grossman to Dan Marino because neither won a Super Bowl. Sampras, who failed to win a tournament on clay in the last seven years of his career, was routinely beaten on the surface by myriad unseeded players. But Federer -- who beat Nadal to win the Madrid Open on clay last month, ending Rafa's 33-match clay winning streak -- isn't nearly as vulnerable. He was pushed by Haas, but he didn't break, and that's the mark of a champion.

If the French is the bar that defines clay greatness, consider Federer's 27-4 record since 2005, with all four losses coming at the hands of a man many consider to be the greatest clay player. It's not a stretch to say Federer would've eclipsed Sampras' record 14 major titles by now -- perhaps we would be wondering whether Roger could reach 20 -- had it not been for Nadal.

The cruel part of it all is that Nadal's early exit sort of places Federer in a no-win situation.

If he doesn't claim the French this year, not only his place in clay history but also his stake as the greatest player ever will be questioned. If he does win, it won't be against Nadal, so it will feel as if something is missing. As we saw in the five-setter against Haas, other players won't just hand over the title to Federer. But without defeating Rafa, there's a psychological asterisk stuck next to the eventual champion's name, as if he's only borrowing the title until next year. Kind of like when Richard Krajicek won Wimbledon in 1996, ending Sampras' streak at three. Sampras came back to win four more in a row from 1997 to 2000, relegating Krajicek to more of a hiccup than a Wimbledon champ. Or when Michael Jordan "retired" the first time, and then the Rockets grabbed a couple of championships. Sure, Hakeem Olajuwon was a great player, but when MJ captured a second three-peat, we saw Houston's success was more about who wasn't playing than who was.

But just as Olajuwon, Charles Barkley and Karl Malone are still considered all-time greats despite not beating MJ in the NBA Finals, Federer already has established himself as one of the greatest clay players -- and ironically, he has the long history of getting his butt kicked by Nadal to thank for it.

Generally, players shouldn't be rewarded for coming in second. … But sometimes it's difficult to fault them when you see the guy in first.

LZ Granderson is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a regular contributor to Page 2. He can be reached at l_granderson@yahoo.com.

article here

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
Federer down 2 sets to 1 in his semi now.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
Federer down 2 sets to 1 in his semi now.

Ah know, 1-1 in third. Ah hoping he f ight back.

Edit:2:19 :  4-3 Fed  5th set
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:20:27 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »
5th set now.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »
Del Potro like he hit the wall.
Federer in complete control of the 4th and now 5th sets

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »
5th set even now. 3-3.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
Del Porto cracking up again.

Federer not looking solid at all, he have just enough to win.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Del Porto cracking up again.

Federer not looking solid at all, he have just enough to win.

Bitter you seeing the match or wah?
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

1]; } ?>