April 25, 2024, 04:59:05 PM

Author Topic: Foreign-based College Players Thread  (Read 97460 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Colleges Football Combine for student athletes
« Reply #390 on: December 08, 2012, 07:11:54 AM »
BU's facilities were used as the home field for the Boston Breakers in women's professional soccer. They also have an excellent indoor facility. Having played on the outdoor surface, I can confirm iz nothing to sneeze at. From what I've observed of the US model, even the most modest of "no name" institutions possesses facilities that are "awesome". Several squads on that list full ah ballers from different continents. If they're making a resource investment in personnel, they've likely made it also in physical plant.

Also, good point about the respective colleges stepping in.

Also fully agree on the lack of contacts point. I also want to say that not getting a full ride is not necessarily a deal breaker.

Some posters probably wished they had a platform like this when they were coming up.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:13:56 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
Also fully agree on the lack of contacts point. I also want to say that not getting a full ride is not necessarily a deal breaker.

Some posters probably wished they had a platform like this when they were coming up.

Good Points:
There are quite a number of Trinis in the US connected to many programs and coaches on a personal level and can assist. This fee is minimal today compared to if I had to find that kind of money many moons ago...but check this...plenty men spend more than that making trips with Alcons to get the same opportunities and plenty men still had to find there own opportunity if they weren't a real "Corneal Boy"
Plenty men settle for partial scholarship and live through much hard times (you know what it is to live off reused Lipton tea bags with no milk or sugar for weeks; or live in a house with no heat in the winter; or study under the street light outside your house because you have no electricity)just to accomplish their goals.
Years ago coaches took word of mouth recommendations from other players and coaches...today it's different; a video will get the interest of a coach, but for them to come to see players in person speaks volumes. I and other coaches have gone to other countries to see players firsthand...these days recruiting and scholarship awarding is a coach's bread and butter so they coming to make sure they see for themselves what they will be investing the university's money in.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
When you pay for something you expect a certain level for your money.

This is a good idea, if nobody get scholarship year after year then people will stop paying and business will bus.

if players are successful every year more will come.

The biggest problem with TnT is people expect everything free.

When youth football in trinindad start to cost 500TT a month, the level of football will improve.

People in Trinidad still think a coach is free work and that is why we football in the current state.

Pay your money and expect excellence.

Man does pay 1000 for food and drinks at all inclusive so 1000 for a showcase should not be an issue.

As long as it is professionally done and they players get an experience out of it ....it is worth it.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 20, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
So ... who attended?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
One of the coaches from this thing spent a few days in Tobago. He heard that there was something similar going on over here and came to a training session. Unfortunately they told him the wrong time and he came early. he spoke to the coach that was there and he said that he would be back the next day but he didn't show.

Anyway some coaches over here have called some of the better U19 players from this year to prepare as a local boy by the name of Wendell Moore(some might know the name) is coming over the weekend and might be able to link a few boys with colleges in the US...if they look good.

It is not $1000 and it aint 5 or 6 College Coaches but at least we getting a little something over here as well.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart Shouldn't Write off College Players
« Reply #395 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
Hart said that he wouldn't waste time on looking at players in the U.S College system. Hart should realize that we send high quality players to U.S Colleges. I believe Stern John went to a U.S.College..I am aware of a few top quality players who played for Trinidad youth and Olympic teams and went to Div1 schools and have a difficult time getting on the Pro circuit in the US because of work permit. Many of these guys never get recalled to a National team..they don't want to go back to Trinidad after they graduate ..so they get lost..they get fat ..they get married..and that's that.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hart Shouldn't Write off College Players
« Reply #396 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
He eh write dem off, is just dat it would not be ah primary place to focus on. But he did say he would keep tabs on dem.

Stern only went college for two years.

I agree with Hart on this one, although from time to time there will be exceptions.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 03, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »
Well Tallman I agree with you that these players shouldn't be the primary focus, but I also hear what Coache saying because too many times the players come up here and the Federation lose contact with these players. There needs to be a system in place where when these players come back home from holidays, be it summer or christmas, some type of formal practice game or scrimmage should be organized so they can be checked on and monitored. I know of too many stories of real good players leaving T&T and just getting lost in the shuffle and going through the motions Coache mentioned. Give these guys some hope as well.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #398 on: September 03, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
many years ago I suggested a database be set up with the fed to monitor players leaving TT and ones  eligible living in foreign countries, so the fed can pull up the player database and have a college round up tourney or set of practice matches to evaluate players and find the diamonds.

i also suggested the database have videos, interviews and stats on the players, contact info and so forth.

10 years later and my suggestion is still on the way side...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:13:48 AM by Controversial »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 03, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
With his U.S. links, I'm sure Sheldon Phillips will know everything these guys do.

But I do agree that there should be a register of Trinis who are overseas to ensure none fall through the gaps.

But Hart needs to get back to basics first and concentrate on building a core pool of players from those he knows overseas and those he can view regularly locally. Then he can add from the exotic.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #400 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
With his U.S. links, I'm sure Sheldon Phillips will know everything these guys do.

But I do agree that there should be a register of Trinis who are overseas to ensure none fall through the gaps.

But Hart needs to get back to basics first and concentrate on building a core pool of players from those he knows overseas and those he can view regularly locally. Then he can add from the exotic.

exactly, Harty can't focus on looking at college players right now when he has the ttfa and tim kee unable to pay the players and other coaches, plus he has a intl tourney around the corner.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #401 on: September 03, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
Hart said that he wouldn't waste time on looking at players in the U.S College system. Hart should realize that we send high quality players to U.S Colleges. I believe Stern John went to a U.S.College..I am aware of a few top quality players who played for Trinidad youth and Olympic teams and went to Div1 schools and have a difficult time getting on the Pro circuit in the US because of work permit. Many of these guys never get recalled to a National team..they don't want to go back to Trinidad after they graduate ..so they get lost..they get fat ..they get married..and that's that.

you're blaming Hart, when you should be blaming the federation, the federation shouldn't write off college players, by neglecting the fact that a database should have been set up donkey years ago to track players and their progress and also add players who have grown up in canada, the uk and us and other countries so that we have a larger talent pool to choose from.

so don't come with that nonsense about Harty, why the fed don't get their act together first, in 3 weeks Hart make yuh run to the damn tiolet bc yuh belly was gripping with jealousy after the difference he has made, now you complaining about college player neglect.

look nah, tell yuh padnahs at ttfa to get out of that tunnel vision and get the right ex pats who know the business of football to run the fed and make the necessary changes that should have been done, once again, donkey years ago

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 03, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
Well Tallman I agree with you that these players shouldn't be the primary focus, but I also hear what Coache saying because too many times the players come up here and the Federation lose contact with these players. There needs to be a system in place where when these players come back home from holidays, be it summer or christmas, some type of formal practice game or scrimmage should be organized so they can be checked on and monitored. I know of too many stories of real good players leaving T&T and just getting lost in the shuffle and going through the motions Coache mentioned. Give these guys some hope as well.

In any event those guys are no good to us while they are in college because they would not get time off to play any international games unless it happened to fall during a holiday period. For the most part, that is four years wasted from a footballing standpoint.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »

This website has kept track of foreign-based players (professional and college) for donkey years. Is up to de administration to make use of it.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 03, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
I like how Fordy provided a simple solution..what so hard about his suggestion? All these College men could come in and take a sweat during Christmas break..Hart went to College..I remember what a high quality player Gerry Vidale was..went to College and that was the end of that..Ivan Sampson..Anthony Sherwood,the list goes on.
When I went to college we had two Liberian Internationals who were given leave to go and play in the African nations Cup these guys were starting players for their country playing with world player of the year George Weah..College players are players too.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
I like how Fordy provided a simple solution..what so hard about his suggestion? All these College men could come in and take a sweat during Christmas break..Hart went to College..I remember what a high quality player Gerry Vidale was..went to College and that was the end of that..Ivan Sampson..Anthony Sherwood,the list goes on.
When I went to college we had two Liberian Internationals who were given leave to go and play in the African nations Cup these guys were starting players for their country playing with world player of the year George Weah..College players are players too.

They have done those things before, most recently under Lincoln Phillips. They have also had US camps where some college players were invited.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 03, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »
Let us revisit this thread as there are echoes of a familiar debate within it:

There are only so many hours in a day. As things stand, Pacho already have real wuk on he plate. Also, lehwe not forget that he's only really around on a short-term basis IN THE FIRST INSTANCE officially ...

A scouting camp etc. is a real noble signal, buh family he jes jes reach and nuff men deyah long time who shoulda been handling that end of our affairs ... For as many rough diamonds to be located on the twin rocks, we have others in the diaspora crying out for attention ... Iz long time now TTFF need a foreign liaison to deal with college-based and other players on the outside ... worse yet Tobago. Buh same way men bawling Tobago, man could be bawling Deep South or elsewhere.

Clearly the way to move fwd right now is to handle the first round of qualifying with the known/quasi-known commodities or men who easily in reach ... digging for talent could come later. Plus it eh jes whether dem men could real play, de nex assessment is whether dey could play and function within an organized set-up featuring demands. Birchall right now cyah even/ not even  geh a look in and resources hadda spend towards uncertain outcomes? I eh so sure dahs where de $$$ is at right now ...

Delegation is a useful tool ...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:24:59 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 03, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Ppl do realize keeping track of the following, requires about 5 fulltime jobs. Ppl also do realize that the Manager/Coach responsibilty is to work with who he can get, and who is readily available. 
http://www.socawarriors.net/foreign-based/foreign-based-news/us-college-players.html

Fix the place, and the academic will want to return home and play football, and ore importantly assisting in making the place better to raise family, and develop pro league, and youth or whatever. For now, somebody tell ppl the better ones, want to playfor TT or even return for christmas tryouts ? And possibly getting injured and messing up their scholarship or studies, to play for what again ? Love of what ? Patri who ? TTF what ? O K then  ::)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 03, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
So far, we have de T&T senior mens football team head coach not jes coachin de senior men's national team, but he should also....

develop younger players
scout US college players and make arrangements fuh dem to train in camps rong Christmas time
teach man how to trap, pass, tackle, head de ball and shoot.  Also how not to run offside, positional play and goalkeeping tips.  Throw ins optional
make sure coaches and players get paid on time
pick men who unavailable
develop de pro league
develop de super league
develop womens football
ensure local coaches, players from Tobago, indians, white boys, chinee, and any other minority get equal opportunity
motivate players dat doh really want to play
get money from anil Roberts and de ministry
attract corporate sponsors
protect de football from jack warner

Anyting else?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:11:58 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 03, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »
Hear nah ..it ha people here in de states who could organize ting fuh de College men ..all we sayin is to take a look..nothing else..

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
TnT should have a standard program in the US and Canada. and UK

Fact is there is probably an equal number if not more players available for TnT national team outside TnT than are based in TnT.

issue is we dont have money.

But if we had a program regionally in the US we would be much better.

for example

a PDL team made up of US based college and other players who are eligible for Trinidad will easily be a top team in the Pro league or at least be competitive.
should we fund a PDL team in the US.

a youth team made up of Top players in the US and Canada will easily compete against our local youth teams.

Top US youth players are exposed to programs and coaching that TnT players are not afforded

between Travel, Premier, Academy , ODP etc etc

If you take the 20 best trinidad qualified youths I sure they will be competitive versus Trinidad based team.

if you combine both teams you will move the neadle considerable in our youth teams.

US has better football infrasturcture than trinidad.

College soccer is part of that infrastructure

college players can help trinidad.

The NCAA div 1 national champions will beat the current trinidad U20 National team....easy

That is a fact.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 04, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
So far, we have de T&T senior mens football team head coach not jes coachin de senior men's national team, but he should also....

develop younger players
scout US college players and make arrangements fuh dem to train in camps rong Christmas time
teach man how to trap, pass, tackle, head de ball and shoot.  Also how not to run offside, positional play and goalkeeping tips.  Throw ins optional
pick men who unavailable
develop de pro league
develop de super league
develop womens football
ensure local coaches, players from Tobago, indians, white boys, chinee, and any other minority get equal opportunity

Anyting else?

;D NICE!!

... yuh fuhgetout create healthy meal plans for de teams
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »

develop younger players
pick men who unavailable
develop de pro league
develop de super league
develop womens football

Anyting else?

;D NICE!!

... yuh fuhgetout create healthy meal plans for de teams
x. Psychologist, for the fellas who having a ruff time, and developing unpatriotic or starboy attitudes or even those with no attitude at all.
y. Setup program to make the players that go away to study or children of expatriates, go to one school in each region, so we can form up regional teams, thus open a central  higher university academies in the 3 main regions, and further, organize practice games against local players, so he can see everybody, and leave out many.....at their cost.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #413 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Hear nah ..it ha people here in de states who could organize ting fuh de College men ..all we sayin is to take a look..nothing else..

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:08:56 AM by Controversial »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 US College season thread
« Reply #414 on: November 21, 2013, 12:08:28 AM »
Nathaniel Logie (QRC) to Knox College (Illinois). D-III program.

Don't think there was a 2013 US college thread so I'm adding this update here.

###

Logie and Edemba First Team All-MWC Men's Soccer: Sophomores instrumental in break-out season for Prairie Fire

11/20/2013

Galesburg, IL – The Midwest Conference has named two Prairie Fire men's soccer players all-league selections.

The MWC on November 20 announced its all-conference teams.  Sophomore forward Nathaniel Logie (Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Queens Royal College) and sophomore defender Charles Edemba (Abia, Nigeria, Santana Rhetoric Institute) are both All-MWC first team picks.

Logie and Edemba helped lead Knox to a school-record 13 victories, including a 6-4 mark in conference matches, and the program's first appearance in the Midwest Conference Tournament.  The Prairie Fire finished fourth in the MWC, far exceeding the prediction of a ninth place finish in the 2013 Midwest Conference Preseason Coaches' Poll.

Logie and Edemba are the first all-conference men's soccer players from Knox since Jeff Wozencraft received the honor as a midfielder his senior year in 2009.  The last Knox men's soccer first team All-MWC recipient was Kyle Firebaugh, a senior midfielder in 2000.

An offensive force, Logie started all 19 of the Prairie Fire's matches.  He set new school records for goals scored in a season (16), game-winning goals (5), goals per game (0.84), points (37), and points per game (1.95).  Logie ranked second in the Midwest Conference in all five of those offensive categories.

Edemba has started each of the 36 matches played by Knox the past two seasons.  He was a key contributor to the Prairie Fire defense that recorded a school-record nine shutouts and allowed only 20 goals in 19 contests compared to 31 goals in 17 matches the previous season.

In addition to his outstanding defense, Edemba scored two goals and had two assists.

Knox led the Midwest Conference in 15 individual and team categories combined.

The Prairie Fire had the top offense with 56 goals, 42 assists, and 154 points – all new school records.  The squad ranked 14th in the nation with its per game averages of 2.95 goals and 8.11 points while ranking 18th in NCAA Division III with 2.21 assists per game and 56 goals scored.

http://prairiefire.knox.edu/news/2013/11/20/MSOC_1120132428.aspx

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 21, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »
Lee-Him and Adams score for App State.
BOONE, N.C. – Appalachian State’s men’s soccer team wrapped up its regular season Saturday as the Mountaineers knocked off Davidson 2-0 on Senior Night at the Ted Mackorell Soccer Complex.
Appalachian State, winner of two straight, evened up its overall record at 7-7-3 on the year and 2-3-2 in Southern Conference play. The Wildcats fell to 6-10-1 on the year and 2-5 in league play.
The first half got off to an aggressive start, as nine fouls were called within the opening 20 minutes of play. The ninth foul proved to be the most costly for Davidson when sophomore forward Kristian Lee-Him was fouled inside the opposing box and was awarded a penalty kick in the 20th minute. Lee-Him’s penalty got Appalachian on the scoreboard when his shot hit the bottom left corner as Davidson goalkeeper Matt Pacifici went right.
For Lee-Him, his third goal of the year tied him for the team lead with senior David Dodge.
Appalachian State got its insurance goal in the 82nd minute when sophomore forward Stanley Broaden used his speed to get past Davidson’s back line, down the sideline. Broaden fed a pass back to the feet of sophomore midfielder Luke Adams, who fired a shot past Pacifici for his first goal in an Appalachian State uniform.
The Mountaineer defense continued its dominance against opponents, allowing Davidson to record five shots total and just one shot on goal.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22054&SPID=1797&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205721144&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Lee Him transferred to SUNY Buffalo for the 2013 season. Poor season for them. App State, his former school, fared slightly better.

Offline dnice1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 21, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »
Thanks Asylumseeker, I was going to give an update as I always think good/not so good updates needs posting. Kristian transferred as it was a win-win (regardless of the stats) App State was not a good fit after the coach untimely death and he had options, UB is close to home, rebuilding (they had 13 Freshmen) and a pr oven coaching staff, plus education wise is a relative recognised institution.

His role this year was to provide experience to the younger squad, even though the stats shows a relative poor season, they did fairly well as the games were close (including Akron).
Hopefully next season they make a run for the tourney round. Outside of the NCAA he is in a fantastic Academy (Sigma) where his teammates had some outstanding efforts.

Here is a link to his Academy:

http://www.sigma-sports.net/index.html

I will forward on the links to UB Games highlights later today:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 25, 2013, 04:13:05 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/foMyi_jYsBU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/foMyi_jYsBU</a>

Several goals by Nathaniel Logie (formerly QRC) from the 2013 season. (One of the assisting passes is even better than the goal he scored or the run he made ... it eh go be hard to see what ah mean).

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
Duane Muckette Bio
Courtesy: USF Bulls
Release: 07/31/2013

2013 – In first season with the Bulls, Muckette started all 21 games in the midfield … Named to the AAC All-Tournament Team … Posted one point on the year, recording his first-career point and assist in 4-1 win over Cincinnati (Oct. 9) … Posted 15 shots and two shots on goal for the year.

Prep/Club - Captain of U-17 and U-20 Trinidad Youth National Teams... 2011 Player of the Year at FC Santa Rosa.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 28, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
West aims for success at Villanova.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Less than twenty fours after returning home from international duty with the National Under 20 team, forward Kye West was on a plane destined for Philadelphia on Tuesday to begin a four-year football scholarship at Villanova University.

With the current U20s going into action, this player crossed my thoughts ... not because he's eligible, buh because ah doh see him on Villanova's roster. What happened to him? Transferred? Done playing? What?

1]; } ?>