April 23, 2024, 11:12:35 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Wimbledon.  (Read 11063 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: 2009 Wimbledon.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
Hell of a comeback.

Serena into the Final.
6-7 7-5 8-6
Yup, including facing match point on her serve at 4-5 in the third set. I'm upset that I missed it. Venus is putting on a clinic against Safina leading 6-1 and 4-0.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »
all williams final again?  nice!!!

last final they played against each other was the best i have ever seen them play against each other.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »
how the hell safina is #1 i do not know.  they need to reboot that rankings computer because it obviously has a glitch

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »
how the hell safina is #1 i do not know.  they need to reboot that rankings computer because it obviously has a glitch

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »
is it me, or has serena lost some muscle mass? especially her arms, they look smaller

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 04:52:44 AM »
yeh Serena lose some muscle but she still a bit slow with her lateral movement so she needs to get that back. Venus is always amazing on grass and I don't know why she just has no flaw there and hopefully she can win again, after what she did in the semi's she deserves it.  I think Safina deserves the no. 1 because V and Serena haven't played either as much or as consistently as safina has done throughout the year. They are my favourites but safina has made the finals of the last 2 grandslams and the semis and has won a lot of tournements but Venus hasn't done that and serena did win the Aus. open and made the finals of Miami but other than that hasn't done anything big so... i dunno but thats just my thoughts

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Roger Federer reached his seventh straight Wimbledon final Friday by beating Tommy Haas of Germany 7-6 (3), 7-5, 6-3.

Federer won five consecutive titles at the All England Club before losing to Rafael Nadal in last year's final. At this year's tournament, the second-seeded Swiss is trying to win his record 15th Grand Slam title.

Federer played excellent tennis Friday, holding serve easily and breaking Haas late in the second and third sets. He will next face either Andy Murray or Andy Roddick in Sunday's final.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
espn360 showing last year final.  It hard to watch as a federer fan knowing the eventual outcome but it really have to be one of the greatest matches of all time.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
meh boy fed breakin record come sunday.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »
meh boy fed breakin record come sunday.

Hopefully he breaks it by beating Murray.

Roddick is Federer's bobolee, so it would be very difficult to savour this victory.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Roddick it is.

it will be a very good match I think.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
Fed go cut he ass as usual..Break the record Roger!!!
Had a nice show on Fed yesterday on espn (direct tv)...dunno if anyone saw it. Had interviews with lots of the older players as well as current.
Agassi quote was the best, saying even when he played Pete during the games he knew he had a chance..In playing Fed in the US Open final, he realized that this man was just the best.
Even Roddick says that he wishes he cud hate Federer but the man is just too nice to hate.
True Champion!
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »
Fed go cut he ass as usual..Break the record Roger!!!
Had a nice show on Fed yesterday on espn (direct tv)...dunno if anyone saw it. Had interviews with lots of the older players as well as current.
Agassi quote was the best, saying even when he played Pete during the games he knew he had a chance..In playing Fed in the US Open final, he realized that this man was just the best.
Even Roddick says that he wishes he cud hate Federer but the man is just too nice to hate.
True Champion!

He eh a yank thus he 2 nice too hate. Wanted d Brit but went Fed deal wit Roddock it go b nice. He go b in d footnote of history.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 06:56:45 PM »
sometimes yuh hadda feel sorry fuh andy.i heard somewhere he playin tennis in de wrong decade.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
i wid roddick on dis one.. ah fel he comin wid d upset

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
i wid roddick on dis one.. ah fel he comin wid d upset

Dat go b a help of ah upset like it was a hell of a punch.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »
Williams sisters win Wimbledon doubles title
By CHRIS LEHOURITES, AP Sports Writer

England (AP)—Serena Williams won a pair of Grand Slam titles at Wimbledon on Saturday, just like her sister Venus did last year.

Serena added the women’s doubles title to her take at this year’s tournament, teaming with big sister Venus to beat Rennae Stubbs and Samantha Stosur of Australia 7-6 (4), 6-4. It’s their fourth Wimbledon title together, part of their haul of nine Grand Slam women’s doubles championships.

“There’s nothing like winning a title with your sister,” said Serena, who has won 11 major singles titles. “It’s really a good feeling.”

Earlier Saturday on Centre Court, Serena beat Venus 7-6 (3), 6-2 in singles to win her third Wimbledon title—she beat her older sister in each final.

A year ago, Venus beat Serena in the championship match to win her fifth Wimbledon singles title, and the pair then teamed up to win the doubles.

“One out of two’s not bad,” Venus said. “I really wanted to win the singles, but they’re two separate events. If I won the singles and not the doubles, it’s still not the same.”

Against the Australians, the Williams sisters traded breaks in the first set, with Stosur and Stubbs taking a 2-1 lead off Serena’s opening service game. But the Americans eventually broke back to 4-4 when Stosur put a backhand volley into the net.

In the tiebreaker, Venus put the sisters up a mini-break on the second point with a return of serve that Stubbs couldn’t get back over.

“The ball clipped the tape, and therefore it went a little bit higher than it should have and it hit my frame and didn’t quite get off the string,” Stubbs said. “It was really unlucky.”

The most entertaining point of the match came with Stubbs serving at 1-1 in the second set. Serena returned the serve, and Stubbs swung her racket behind her and hit the ball through her legs to get it back over.

“I do that because sometimes you have to do that,” said Stubbs, who added that she makes that kind of shot all the time. “That’s just experience and being an idiot on the court half the time.”

As the point continued, Stosur stood at the net and battered back volley after volley as both Venus and Serena grunted and groaned while sending groundstrokes back over the net.

Stosur eventually won the point with a drop shot neither sister could get near, and the Australian took that game. But the sisters broke Stubbs to go up 4-3 in that set and kept control.

“I’m really excited to have doubles titles,” Serena said. “I rack ‘em up.”

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
Roddick did not come to England to roll over and be a footnote. He's up a set and on serve in the second.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »
that match was like the circus: in tents.

hard luck roddick.  yuh could make a run at the US Open.

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »
Finally!!..well done Roger.

Hard to believe he couldn't break Roddick till that final game. He was frustrating meh with some silly mistakes whole match, ut eventually got it done.

Roddick's got spirit. Would not have minded if he had won!
Ketch footballitis

giggsy11

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »
Congrats Federer and your fans; I was hoping that Roddick would have been the one to make you cry this year. You exhibited great mental toughness. Hard luck Roddick hope you can build on this! I find it disgusting when commentators can't stay neutral because they want to witness history!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
yeah the commentators wanted the man to win...hard luck roddick.  i ent feelin sad for andy b.c he married to a SI model.  fed is a modern great, no doubt about that.  the game has really progressed since rod laver days.  just seeing him standing next to borg and sampras...the man looked real diminutive, almost like a hobbit.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »
Who was saying that Federer cracks under pressure?

What a great match.
I find McEnroe should not have put Sampras on the spot by asking him if Federer is the greatest. I mean you standing there with Borg and Laver. What yuh expect the man to say? Pete handle it eh. But it was an asshole question.  Laver pretty much say, yeah, I would have won some more if they didn't set me up with the pro thing.

I find is a moot point. You looking at Borg, Laver, Federer and Sampras.  All the best of their eras.

To me, Federer have to win at least 2 grand slams to get into that greatest of all time talk.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »
i wanted roddick to win real bad. to me men's tennis has lost some excitement cuz rite thru, rite thru only one man winnin everything, either federer or nadal.

it really was upsettin to see federer lift d trophy. roddick deserved to win IMHO.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2009, 07:12:25 PM »
so happy for fed. this should eradicate any misplaced doubts about federer's mental toughness. he stayed calm and composed and eventually wore roddick done. roddick played the game of his life (so far) though. every time he needed a big serve, like sampras, he summoned it.

hopefully he can produces something special like that against nadal.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
poor andy,man cyar get ah break to cut fed ass.onto de US open and no. 16 fuh roger.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
What a great match.
I find McEnroe should not have put Sampras on the spot by asking him if Federer is the greatest. I mean you standing there with Borg and Laver. What yuh expect the man to say? Pete handle it eh. But it was an asshole question.  Laver pretty much say, yeah, I would have won some more if they didn't set me up with the pro thing.

I find is a moot point. You looking at Borg, Laver, Federer and Sampras.  All the best of their eras.

To me, Federer have to win at least 2 grand slams to get into that greatest of all time talk.

People love to debate that greatest of all time and it will always depend on the individual's experiences and preferences. Men who old enough would appreciate what the likes of Laver or Borg accomplished and may lend more weight to them in the race. I tend to prefer the point you made about the relevance of eras.

Your point about Federer having to win 2 more titles to make it into the greatest of all time is a prime example of to each their own. To have the career grand slam and more titles than anyone else and STILL not be considered one of the greatest to play the game? Someone else would have accepted him as one of the greatest ever 2-3 titles ago.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2009, 10:11:06 PM »
i think federer is already in the GOAT discussion.

at this moment i'd vote for him if i had to.

i'd still like to see him beat nadal in another slam final i.e. extend his era of dominance, to put the final seal of it.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2009, 11:26:18 PM »
The reason I say that is simple. the club is very very very small:

Grand Slam (four majors in one calendar year)
Don Budge (1938)
Rod Laver (1962 • 1969)

Career Grand Slam
Men's singles
Fred Perry (1933 US Championships, 1934 Australian Championships, 1934 Wimbledon Championships & 1935 French Championships)

Don Budge (1937 Wimbledon Championships, 1937 US Championships, 1938 Australian Championships & 1938 French Championships)

Rod Laver (1960 Australian Championships, 1961 Wimbledon Championships, 1962 French Championships & 1962 US Championships)

Roy Emerson (1961 Australian Championships, 1961 US Championships, 1963 French Championships & 1964 Wimbledon Championships)

Andre Agassi (1992 Wimbledon, 1994 US Open, 1995 Australian Open & 1999 French Open)

Roger Federer (2003 Wimbledon, 2004 Australian Open, 2004 US Open & 2009 French Open)

The mere fact that the club so small put Laver ahead of everybody. The man prove it on all surfaces, against all opponents several times.  Since I can't quantify the beauty of Federer's game, or handicap Laver for the wooden racquets and low-tech balls, I have to go by the next best thing.

I'm not a zealot though, This is a perfect barstool debate.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
i wanted roddick to win real bad. to me men's tennis has lost some excitement cuz rite thru, rite thru only one man winnin everything, either federer or nadal.

it really was upsettin to see federer lift d trophy. roddick deserved to win IMHO.

Agree w/this completely, stopped watching Men's tennis since the end of the Becker, Lendl, Wilander era
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>