March 28, 2024, 03:03:33 AM

Author Topic: Vuvuzelas  (Read 27885 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Vuvuzelas
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »
Dutch coach joins chorus to ban vuvuzela

Reuters

June 20, 2009

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

The noisy vuvuzela trumpet-type instrument blown incessantly by fans during Confederations Cup matches should not be allowed in the stadiums, Dutch coach Bert Van Marwijk said.

"At home watching TV it really was annoying, but in the stadiums you get used to it but it is still unpleasant," Van Marwikj, who is on a fact-finding tour before next year's World Cup finals, told reporters at the hotel his team will use next year.

"You want to coach your players during the match but it is almost impossible with that noise. So for me the horns can stay outside the stadium."

TV broadcasters, viewers watching Confederations Cup matches at home around the world and Xabi Alonso, the Spanish midfielder as well as ordinary fans have all complained about the monotonous, tuneless sound of the vuvezela.

It has sparked a furious debate in the local media with its defenders saying it is an integral part of South Africa's football culture. Other commentators say it is a recently new phenomonon intrdocued as a marketing tool in the past few years.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said last week the world governing body had no plans to ban the instrument from Confederations Cup matches. He said FIFA and the local organising committee would meet after the Confederations Cup to discuss whether it should be banned next year.

Blatter is against the idea of a ban saying that "we should not try to europeanise an African World Cup," but thousands of fans around the world have e-mailed FIFA over the last week urging them to ban the instrument.

One suggestion is that they should just be allowed at South Africa's matches.

Alonso, the Spanish midfielder said this week that the noise made it difficult for players to concentrate and communicate with each other while playing and did nothing for the atmosphere inside the stadium.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:05:19 AM by Tallman »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch coach joins chorus to ban vuvuzela
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
Dem just vex dey eh have no noise maker dat loud.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »
Cultural Imperialism.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
I find it very annoying too but I don't think it should be banned from the world cup.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
This reminds me of the ban on conch shells (and the like) during the Cricket World Cup here in the Caribbean....the tournament did not have that decidely Caribbean flavour and sounded more like the yawn fest of English Cricket grounds...

All who saying ban it should haul dey collective arses!!....sttteeeuupppss!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:33:53 AM »
I doh even understand how anybody could even say they could find them things annoying.......could only people that don't get out much.  Plus, I don't recall there ever having been a peep made about all the noise and paper streamers and toilet paper that was showering down on the players in Argentina in '78, all the way down to the Final between the hosts, whose players could only have been more comfortable with that atmosphere, and Holland.  Yes, I know it was a lonnnnnnnnnnng time ago, but the atmosphere in that tournament, to the best of my memory, was strikingly similar to this one in SA and it's the first WC since then that could come close to creating that atmosphere except the South Africans eh have no setta paper to waste.  All of this sounds like every issue ranging from class to cultural to downright racism. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »
In the beginning I found it a bit unusual, but I've gotten used to it...It's like white noise (pardon the pun) to me now when I watch the games

It's also not the first time that such a horn-type sound is pervasive in football so I'm kinda surprised that it's only just becoming a big deal (actually not that surprised  :D )

Humans have the ability to adapt... Some people just don't have the patience to let that adaptability do it's thing.  So far I'm with Blatter- It's South Africa- that's their culture, let's deal with it (of course I'm commenting from the couch)...

If teams could adpat to high altitude in Mexico, Freezing temperatures in Russia, and the extreme heat/humidity of WC Korea 2002, what the heck is a vuvuzela?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
Azteca using that for years
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline southeastPOS

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:49:48 AM »
If you watching the game on the net whit ah head set that S#*t is annoying. but let us understand that we have to support SA fans, because the next thing they will want to stop is we engine room. They try to take my cow bell in Germany at the last game and i had to fight for about 15 min. to get it back.
If ah make bake on top de stove they call it roasted bake.
If ah fry it they call it fry bake.
So if ah make it in the oven what they go call it bake bake?.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:55 AM »
I find Tommy Smith far more annoying than the vuvuzela  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »

COSIGN lol

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:48:33 AM »

COSIGN lol

Co-Cosign!  :rotfl:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »

EXACTLY!!  Including during the World Cup held there in 1986
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:50 AM »

fuh real... i don't always agree with what landon donovan says, but i think it was true when he said that most European teams could not handle the atmosphere that central american teams create for the hex... the heat, the intimate stadiums, the raucous fans w/ horns , the nasty dressing rooms, the sleepless nights in hotels, etc.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »

Ah ha!!...I thought it sounded very familiar....they was playing the blasted thing just the other day in our WCQ game....steups...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »

COSIGN lol

Co-Cosign!  :rotfl:

Is a real pappyshow now  :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:20 AM »

When yuh have ah choice between Tommy Smythe and John Harkes I go take Tommy Smythe with no complaints.  De other day I watch one ah dem Confederations Cup games on de Spanish station just so I wouldn't have to listen to dem blasted American comentators.  Dem is de wuss.  Ah Praying dey doh use dem fuh next year's world cup like dey did in 2006.  By de way I think Tommy Smythe partner Derek Rae does an excellent job.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
Dis getting to be a joke now.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
I joining the "ban the vuvuzela band wagon" too....ah sure is that damn annoying thing why Spain lose.... :devil: :devil:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:25 PM »

Ah ha!!...I thought it sounded very familiar....they was playing the blasted thing just the other day in our WCQ game....steups...

yeah, lol, same thing i eventually noticed too, i went online and looked at some confed cup vids and thought to myself- that sounds exactly like that weird buzzing sound from our mexico match that was giving me a headache, while i was watching that match i was wondering what the hell they were blowing. I don't think they should ban it, but i think they should give guidelines that you should blow it continually, for as long as your blasted breath holds up, they could at least makes some noise with their mouths inbetween- cause that's what gives real atmosphere to games, it's comparable to our riddim section(though our guys are have ACTUAL TALENT and make noise with actual rhythm to it, chalk and cheese, but still), their noise without the crowd's verbal noise doesn't make the atmosphere in the stadiums alive, it's still dead, though they help. Besides that, the vuvuzela is a persistent humming noise, which is almost like static on your tv- it makes the experience less pleasurable for most.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 08:58:59 AM »
In the beginning I found it a bit unusual, but I've gotten used to it...It's like white noise (pardon the pun) to me now when I watch the games

It's also not the first time that such a horn-type sound is pervasive in football so I'm kinda surprised that it's only just becoming a big deal (actually not that surprised  :D )

Humans have the ability to adapt... Some people just don't have the patience to let that adaptability do it's thing.  So far I'm with Blatter- It's South Africa- that's their culture, let's deal with it (of course I'm commenting from the couch)...

If teams could adpat to high altitude in Mexico, Freezing temperatures in Russia, and the extreme heat/humidity of WC Korea 2002, what the heck is a vuvuzela?

I feel similarly. I haven’t watched many games but the few I did watch I didn’t really notice a problem. It is only when people starting writing about it on the internet that I become conscious of it.

It is a constant drone, the only thing it blocking out is the actual on-field noise which is usually hard to hear anyway. I find the TV viewers complaining about it have nothing better to do.

Now the people watching the game in person would be a different story. I sure they getting real pressure.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »

I feel similarly. I haven’t watched many games but the few I did watch I didn’t really notice a problem. It is only when people starting writing about it on the internet that I become conscious of it.

It is a constant drone, the only thing it blocking out is the actual on-field noise which is usually hard to hear anyway. I find the TV viewers complaining about it have nothing better to do.

Now the people watching the game in person would be a different story. I sure they getting real pressure.

Actually, I've heard it's less annoying in person. Apparently there's a rhythm to it that doesn't come across over the air. Different sections have different rhythms, so when you dey all you hearing is de rhythm in your own section. Over the air, it's like all rhythms combined into one noise.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:36:17 AM by Cool Beans »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »
Leh the people blow and play whatever they want!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
It should definitely be banned.

It's not like riddim section we'se have here in the Caribbean which adds to the atmophere. Them tings jus plain annoying.

It's not even like they blow them when something of significance happens in the game - it's constant and incessant throughout. There's no way they could regulate ppl to only blow dem at certain times either.

If those tings are allowed to remain they would take away from the WC for sure - like a damn bee buzzin in ur ears for an entire match - da eh sumtin anyone should get used to, nor do I see how it's a cultural heritage or necessity seeing as it only became popular in the 90's & began being mass produced in 2001. It's also supposed to mimic the sound of an elephant (which it clearly doesn't).

This is a World Cup for the World and the Players - if there's a genuine and large outcry towards these instruments (whose value is wholly debateable) - I don't see how they can't at least seriously consider certain measures towards it.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »
i will admit it's disrespectful to be blowing them during national anthems.

I would be pissed if i hear that in the background of T&T's anthem.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »

What if they played our anthem with it...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »

What if they played our anthem with it...

from the tone of it, that might be impossible.
If they want to merge it with a riddim section, then that is something else.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:37 PM »

It's not like riddim section we'se have here in the Caribbean which adds to the atmophere. Them tings jus plain annoying.

It's not even like they blow them when something of significance happens in the game - it's constant and incessant throughout. There's no way they could regulate ppl to only blow dem at certain times either.

If those tings are allowed to remain they would take away from the WC for sure - like a damn bee buzzin in ur ears for an entire match - da eh sumtin anyone should get used to, nor do I see how it's a cultural heritage or necessity seeing as it only became popular in the 90's & began being mass produced in 2001. It's also supposed to mimic the sound of an elephant (which it clearly doesn't).

This is a World Cup for the World and the Players - if there's a genuine and large outcry towards these instruments (whose value is wholly debateable) - I don't see how they can't at least seriously consider certain measures towards it.

my take is, if it was really so annoying, then all the south african fans would not be blowing on dem vuvuzelas in the first place...

and it is a world cup in south africa after all - they should be entitled to incorporate whatever elements of their culture are customary in football matches.

i much prefer that than what happened when we hosted the cricket world cup in the west indies, where we let the ICC and by extension the first world powers that be, dictate to us what our caribbean atmosphere should be in the name of supposed security reasons.

Just try to remember how it ended up when we let them take away our instruments, our conch shells and our rum because you know what, im sure they too thought all the noise in cricket was distracting, annoying and didnt add anything to the atmosphere.

Sit down at a test match at Lords and you'll know where that came from.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
doh knock it till yuh hear it in person...plenty foreigners find de riddim section annoying...
The cricket world cup here showed exactly how yuh cud kill a good thing when yuh take away the vibe of where the tournament is.
go play chess if yuh doh like noise
Back in Trini...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »

Steups... :bs: :bs: :bs:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

1]; } ?>