March 28, 2024, 12:24:51 PM

Author Topic: Vuvuzelas  (Read 27903 times)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Dutch coach joins chorus to ban vuvuzela
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »
It should definitely be banned.

It's not like riddim section we'se have here in the Caribbean which adds to the atmophere.
And this is the problem right here. People thinking that their experiences and their cultural expressions are the only valid ones.

I can assure you that our riddim section that "adds to the atmosphere" is just as much of a nuisance to many many people. All they hear is ol' noise just like all you hear in South Africa is buzzing.

Some people think "atmosphere" is just singing songs. Some people find that boring. Some people think "atmosphere" is a man on a loudspeaker. Some people wish he would hush he ass.

I guarantee yuh if dis was part of European culture and the World (and Confederation) Cup was in Europe, 3/4 of the people whining now wouldn't be saying boo. Is them Africans, though, so...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
anytime i see this man name tshabalala i does remember ah old Vegas and Sean Paul track...

"tshbalala boom boom sheyay... i and i buck ah hot gal today.. tshabalala boom boom skeyow... i and i ah haffi get de gyal now...."

....... ok moving along.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 01:06:38 PM »

It's not like riddim section we'se have here in the Caribbean which adds to the atmophere.
And this is the problem right here. People thinking that their experiences and their cultural expressions are the only valid ones.

I can assure you that our riddim section that "adds to the atmosphere" is just as much of a nuisance to many many people. All they hear is ol' noise just like all you hear in South Africa is buzzing.

Some people think "atmosphere" is just singing songs. Some people find that boring. Some people think "atmosphere" is a man on a loudspeaker. Some people wish he would hush he ass.

I guarantee yuh if dis was part of European culture and the World (and Confederation) Cup was in Europe, 3/4 of the people whining now wouldn't be saying boo. Is them Africans, though, so...

Exactly.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
Doh study dem orange fellas dey shoppin 4 an excuse for their failure in 2010.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »

:applause: :applause: :beermug:

Girl, imagine is mih team coach talking this shyte...steups...dey better play ball and doh get mih vex next year nah... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »

Doh talk dat...our riddim section iz be sweet  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
Haha Touche...

Still doh mean I goin enjoy their presence though. To me they add nothing, and in fact take away from the experience - as they clearly do for many of the players, coaches and other fans.

But it's a fair point to make that if it genuinely is part of South African culture and it creates a necessary atmosphere in their minds - then it's in their right to continue to incorporate it. Just as we do with our methods of support/trying to psych out the opposition.

What I question is how much part of true South African culture are these instruments really? I guess I'll have to do a bit more research into that fact. I suppose it's somewhat irrelevant though - and I'll have to be content to getting used to the noise/letting it grow on me for next year's WC.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
The ancestor of the vuvuzela is said to be the kudu horn - ixilongo in isiXhosa, mhalamhala in Tshivenda - blown to summon African villagers to meetings.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »
Yeah supposedly: "Adding to the appeal is African folklore that "A baboon is killed by a lot of noise." During the last quarter of a match, supporters blow vuvuzelas frantically in an attempt to "kill off" their opponents."

So there's the psyching out aspect of it. Would really need to hear a proper explanation from a real Bafana Bafana to put tings into perspective yes.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »

:applause: :applause: :beermug:

Girl, imagine is mih team coach talking this shyte...steups...dey better play ball and doh get mih vex next year nah... ;D

D dutch is me team after Brazil and France so let dey do what Scotty say.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 02:07:26 PM »
Yeah supposedly: "Adding to the appeal is African folklore that "A baboon is killed by a lot of noise." During the last quarter of a match, supporters blow vuvuzelas frantically in an attempt to "kill off" their opponents."

So there's the psyching out aspect of it. Would really need to hear a proper explanation from a real Bafana Bafana to put tings into perspective yes.

Yuh trying real hard..... ::) ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »

Yuh trying real hard..... ::) ::)

Wit lil success

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 01:49:50 PM »
Haha I guess the phrase "Gracious Compromise" doesn't exist on this board.

Ah well, shouldn't be expectin as much I suppose.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »

you watch Blood Diamond one too many times.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 02:04:04 PM »
Stop Racism - Do Not Ban Vuvuzela

Utter madness ..they been blowing that for years..adapt.
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »

Hos, dat is a direct quote from Wikipedia - not like I making that up. That is the explanation for it's use - aside from it's derivation from a horn that used to be used to call people to meeting.

'Blood Diamond' also has nuttin to do wit South Africa - jus to let u know haha.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »

Hos, dat is a direct quote from Wikipedia - not like I making that up. That is the explanation for it's use - aside from it's derivation from a horn that used to be used to call people to meeting.

'Blood Diamond' also has nuttin to do wit South Africa - jus to let u know haha.

lol, nah - I definitely watch it one too many times, and it have a part when DiCaprio kill a baboon and tell Hounsou how they used to track and kill baboons - then threaten to kill him like a baboon if he ever risk he life like that again.

Hos, dat is a direct quote from Wikipedia - not like I making that up.

remember that is the same Wiki that have the wrong picture of Avery John ... lol
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:11:18 PM by acb »
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
Haha true dat eh - I eh make da connection na.

Point taken on d Wiki - seemed plausible doh haha.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »
ah think yuh have to read a bit between the lines here. it's not the vuvuzela, it's the intelligent use of the vuvuzela that is in question. the way the south africans making it a constant drone showing that they eh a football crowd. de stadium noise have almost no correlation with de game situation. in south america and europe, de crowds know better - dey better versed in de football culture. is better de people in de stadium dat don't know when to make noise be deprived of de means. i fuh banning thunder sticks as well if all de stadium attendees want to do is clap on a throw-in.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »
There is not one way to support your team. We accustom watching Euro games with the home crowd with their rehearsed ricitals. Well, good for them. But other cultures have different ways of showing support. Some people  here showing bias to the Euros. I hope the SAs don't capitulate to the Euro demands, just as the WI did with the WC cricket as someone has mentioned.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »
There is not one way to support your team. We accustom watching Euro games with the home crowd with their rehearsed ricitals. Well, good for them. But other cultures have different ways of showing support. Some people  here showing bias to the Euros. I hope the SAs don't capitulate to the Euro demands, just as the WI did with the WC cricket as someone has mentioned.

Deeks, yuh have more belly dan me!  I read some o' de nonsense man post up here and jes' had to shake meh head and leave it alone!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2009, 10:44:56 AM »
yuh know from de first game ah watch in de Confed dat noise annoy de hell outta me, now ah kinda use to it, when dey explain what it was ah was like ok then, cool scene...den dey show people blowing it and look ah lil 'commercial' to me but cool scene, den de posts (and explanations) start....i consider dem de same as thunderstix though, just something for people to do when dey watching de game.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
South Africa Abuzz

Reporting from Johannesburg, South Africa -- As South Africa gears up to host next year's soccer World Cup, there are plenty of doomsayers predicting the worst. If transportation shortagesdon't ruin the event, crime will. The beer will run out. Or the stadiums will be half empty.

But no one expected an ugly plastic trumpet to dominate the controversy.
Hatred of the vuvuzela, the noisemaker wielded by South African soccer fans, ignited the blogosphere even before the FIFA Confederations Cup, the country's dry run for 2010, which ends today when the U.S. national team plays Brazil for the championship.

During the current tournament, foreign players, coaches and journalists have called for a ban of the vuvuzela. There is debate about whether it's a unique part of South African culture, and therefore untouchable, or just a cheap plastic import that makes a lot of noise, like an electric air horn or a whistle.

One vuvuzela -- a loud, tuneless blast -- sounds something like a foghorn. But a stadium full of vuvuzelas, all tooting simultaneously, is either the most exhilarating and exciting sound or a noise so irritating it borders on painful, depending on the listener.

It's been compared to a deafening swarm of wasps. Or a herd of flatulent elephants.

The vuvuzela ranges in length from about 2 to 3 feet. The longer it is, the harder it is to blow.

Video clips of groups playing the vuvuzela like a melodic instrument can be found on YouTube. But a more accurate sound clip is found on the website www.boogieblast.co.za "> www.boogieblast.co.za , which claims to be the trumpet's original distributor.

Boogieblast's sales pitch: "Remember . . . you only hate them if you don't have one."

Mike Greenberg from the ESPN radio sports show "Mike and Mike" is one of the vuvuzela's loudest detractors. He said the sound at a recent match was "excruciating."

"It never ends," Greenberg said on the air. "And it is like you are being attacked by a swarm of locusts for 90 consecutive minutes."

"I know what you're talking about," said co-host Mike Golic. "How can they constantly do that?"

Spanish soccer player Xabi Alonso called for a ban of vuvuzelas at the 2010 World Cup, according to South African newspaper The Times. So did Dutch Coach Bert Van Marwijk, Reuters reported.

Joseph "Sepp" Blatter, head of FIFA, the international soccer association that runs the World Cup, said recently there were no plans to ban the trumpet during the 2010 tournament.

A sports journalist with South Africa's Times, Bareng-Batho Kortjaas, said critics of the vuvuzela should watch the matches on television.

"The irony of it all is that most of those denouncing the vuvuzela's democratic right to be blown are part-time football fans who, under normal circumstances, avoid setting foot anywhere near a soccer match because it is 'too dangerous,' " he wrote recently.

Local soccer in South Africa is perceived largely as a "black" game, attracting mainly black supporters, whereas rugby crowds are overwhelmingly white.

Philip Kalinko, manager of PerkalGifts, a vuvuzela distributor in Johannesburg, said South Africans have been disagreeing for years about the noisemaker.

"For everyone who loves it, there's another person who says it should be banned," he said. "I sit there and watch the football on TV, and I don't even hear the vuvuzelas. My wife sits next to me, and she can't bear to listen to the sound of the vuvuzelas."

There is not even agreement on the origins of the instrument or the meaning of its name.

The International Marketing Council of South Africa says the vuvuzela reportedly originated in the kudu horns used to summon villagers in old times. But Boogieblast claims the trumpets were imported as plastic toys from the U.S. and did not sell -- until soccer fans started using them about a decade ago.

According to the marketing council, a survey last year by research company African Response showed that 71% of South Africans think vuvuzelas will add to the atmosphere at World Cup matches.

The Confederations Cup seems to have created international interest in the trumpet: Kalinko said PerkalGifts had almost no foreign orders until a few weeks ago. In the last three weeks it has sent thousands to countries such as the Netherlands, Turkey, Austria, Britain and Ireland, usually ordered in each country's team colors, he said.

Blasting the plastic horns takes practice. "They're not easy to blow. You have to blow very hard. You've got to fill your lips up with air and blow, as hard as you can," said Kalinko. "Not everybody can do it. We've had a couple of people bringing them back saying, 'It doesn't work.' "

Shadrack Mohsen, 16, a soccer fan who's been blowing vuvuzelas since he was about 10, said banning them in South Africa would be like banning cheering in other countries.

"It's like a tradition for us to play the vuvuzela at our soccer matches when we are singing our songs," Shadrack said. "We're doing things with the vuvuzelas, like pointing them at the players."

A ban, he said, "obviously wouldn't work. People would take their vuvuzelas along anyway, because they're used to them."

I want one. :)

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2009, 05:39:29 AM »
Me too...it goh wake up the funeral in the HCS..... ;D

......and before ah forget....GO USA!!!....

Bourbon ah hope yuh appreciate mih sacrifice eh, cuz what ah just post dey is sheer blasphemy!!... :devil: ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »
The complainers don't need to worry so much about the vuvuzelas. They are probably not going to be nearly as much of a presence next summer:

There have already been more than 500,000 applications for tickets, according to Fifa, and at least 80% of the crowds will be foreign.

The atmosphere at the Confederations Cup has been uniquely African. The noise at Sunday's final was unlike any other match I have been to, with the deafening din of vuvuzelas, the loud plastic trumpets, echoing around the stadium like a giant herd of elephants.

Blatter has voiced concerns about the noise of these instruments but Jordaan says: "Watching football on the African continent is a noisy place.

"Fans come with their horns and drums and in South Africa, the vuvuzela. "When the matches are filled with say Brazil or England fans at next summer's World Cup, there will be far fewer vuvuzelas."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/simonaustin/2009/06/as_usa_getting_to_the.html
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »
well it look like some big ballers eh mind them thing.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
Ha ha ha ha... I feel they going and hire somebody to follow dem round whole year in spain blowing vuvezela in dey arse right through...

so by de time next year dey accustom...  :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
Blow the VUVUZELA ! Tell all the anti- vuvuzela people to hull they tail! Thats the people dem instrument , yeah it might be a bit loud but adds to a great atmosphere........... Play football and doh study nothing. Is not like it giving one team an advantage, both teams have to deal with the same noise............so they better adapt!!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »
"Remember . . . you only hate them if you don't have one.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »
Japan ask 2010 hosts South Africa to ban vuvuzela

Japan's soccer chief has joined in the chorus of protestors wanting the noisy vuvuzela trumpet to be banned from next year's World Cup in South Africa.

FIFA had previously rejected calls for a ban on the plastic instrument but Japan have now appealed to South African officials after playing a friendly against the World Cup hosts at the weekend.

"We have requested that the South African FA cut that noise out," Japan Football Association (JFA) president Motoaki Inukai was quoted as saying in Tuesday's edition of the Sankei Sports newspaper.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

1]; } ?>