April 19, 2024, 06:58:10 PM

Author Topic: Jones still has lot to prove to Bruce  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones still has lot to prove to Bruce
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »
Jones still has lot to prove to Bruce
By Luke Edwards (The Journal)

AS far as first impressions go, Kenwyne Jones would have hoped to leave a better one on Steve Bruce as the striker failed to fire against Benfica.

Jones’ status as an automatic choice in the Black Cats side is being challenged by Bruce, despite assurances from the new manager that the Trinidad and Tobago international remains a key player under the new regime.

Having failed to sign Peter Crouch from Portsmouth – a player completely different in physique yet similar in style to Jones – Sunderland are still tracking two new frontline signings

Moroccan international striker Marouane Chamakh and Tottenham Hotspur hitman Darren Bent are both on the manager’s wanted list.

That will bring intense competition for a starting berth in attack and Jones can no longer take anything for granted on Wearside.

Key man he may still be, but he will have to work hard to maintain that status.

Bruce does not want anyone operating in the comfort zone – something Jones has perhaps been guilty of at times – and his pursuit of attacking reinforcements sends a clear message, particularly as Crouch would have been a direct rival. Having missed the start of pre-season with an injury, this was Jones’ first appearance under Bruce and he did not do himself any favours in front of goal.

Much, of course, can be put down to pre-season rustiness, but such profligacy will not be tolerated when the real action gets under way in just three weeks time. He could have given the Black Cats the lead after seven minutes, but a ricochet in the area from a Jordan Henderson cross took him by surprise and he somehow managed to lift the ball over the bar from inside the six-yard box.

Bruce has already talked excitedly about the potential of the young players he inherited at the Stadium of Light.

And the new manager backed his kind words with action last night with Henderson named in the starting line-up and Martyn Waghorn – he replaced Jones with 20 minutes to go – among the substitutes.

Given Roy Keane’s big hopes for this pair, it is unsurprising Bruce, one of his few close friends in football, is keen to have a good look at the teenagers in pre-season. Henderson enjoyed a successful loan spell at Coventry in the Championship and has clearly benefited from regular first-team football. Bruce even had the confidence to use him as a holding midfielder against the Portuguese in a five-man midfield.

That left Jones as the lone striker, an isolated role he is used to playing, but does not necessarily enjoy. Nevertheless, he still managed to find some space against a rusty Benfica defence and missed a wonderful opportunity when, unmarked, he nodded Grant Leadbitter’s inch-perfect cross wide of the post from 10 yards out.

The 24-year-old did rather better moments later, running on to Leadbitter’s lofted pass over the defence, but his snap shot from the edge of the area was tipped round the post by goalkeeper Marcelo Moretto.

At the other end, Márton Fülöp – also playing his first game for Bruce – kept out Javier Saviola with his feet, and then gratefully clutched David Luiz’s glancing header from the resulting corner. Benfica had not looked particularly threatening going forward, but they took the lead just after the half -hour mark when Saviola drew a dangling leg from Anton Ferdinand and predictably tripped over it. Oscar Cardozo did the rest from the penalty spot.

Benfica may have missed out on qualification for the Champions League after finishing third in the Portuguese Championship, but they remain a good European side.

Sunderland had their moments, Nyron Nosworthy forcing a good save from Moretto from a Steed Malbranque corner, but Benfica increased their lead 10 minutes into the second half courtesy of a powerful strike from full-back Max Pereira, which flicked the boot of Danny Collins on its way into the roof of the net.

The Black Cats should have pulled one back almost immediately but Kieran Richardson inexplicably failed to control Malbranque’s cutback after some excellent work down the left from the Frenchman.

Jones also had another opportunity in front of goal, bringing the ball down superbly before a tame left-foot shot – under pressure from Luiz – was saved by Moretto.

By that stage, however, Sunderland’s travelling support were more interested in going through their full repertoire of songs, including a few which took great glee in the problems of local rivals Newcastle.

After all, pre-season is not only about those on the pitch getting themselves into peak condition for the start of the new season. Then again, does anyone leave Amsterdam feeling in peak condition given the temptations on offer in the Dutch capital?

SUNDERLAND: Fülöp, Bardsley (Anderson 72), Ferdinand, Nosworthy, Collins Edwards (Reid 26), Leadbitter, Richardson (Tainio 78), Henderson, Malbranque (Healy 72) , Jones (Waghorn 72). Subs (not used): Carson, Stokes.

BENFICA: Moretto, Schaffer, Luisao (Vitor 70), Garcia (Amorim 46), Cardoza, Ramires, Aimar (Coentrao 70) , Pereira, Di Maria (Martins 70), Luiz, Saviola. Subs not used: Moreira, Santos, Gomes.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones still has lot to prove to Bruce
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:22:57 AM »
kj will be in bruce's dog house if bruce gets some quality strikers. the boy big and strong but that is about it, not impressed with the lad.

he has his work cut out this season to prove he belongs in the premiership. thanks god he signed that new contract, make sure and save your chips though.

i am not being negative, i want him to do well but i am being real, kj is not a quality striker, he is not a striker in the first place, you cannot fit a circle in a triangle anyday.

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »
kj will be in bruce's dog house if bruce gets some quality strikers. the boy big and strong but that is about it, not impressed with the lad.

he has his work cut out this season to prove he belongs in the premiership. thanks god he signed that new contract, make sure and save your chips though.

i am not being negative, i want him to do well but i am being real, kj is not a quality striker, he is not a striker in the first place, you cannot fit a circle in a triangle anyday.

Kinda harsh but alot of people going to agree with u... But this either going to make KJ or break him i don't see his career going down the drain though i think he gone get better he is Underated player by people from here... the strikers that are being linked with the club don't seem to score much more than KJ do, he has to improve alot though and start scoring goals cause like Bruce anxcious to takeaway his starting spot and can't blame him, good luck KJ...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:36:42 AM by Trinidogg »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »

For ah fella who's not ah real striker, he sure does score a lot of goals, even more than " real quality strikers". ::)
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
its good that Bruce is making sure KJ has competition for his spot to push him for his position on the team..

the article makes some good observations, but the writer at times sound like he have some kinda axe to grind.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »
play yuh fitball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »
play yuh fitball
That's what it all comes down to. :beermug:

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
Ah doh really rate him as quality or that much but i gotta admit, he raises standards for the big games, when he played against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal last season everyone would admit he was the best player on the pitch every time. He just needs to be more consistent and punish the weaker teams with his strength and power. Chamak is a good striker but 13 goals in french league compared to KJ's 10 in the prem last season is like 5 in the Prem so KJ should be able to hold his own once he plays well. Good luck boi

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »
Ah doh really rate him as quality or that much but i gotta admit, he raises standards for the big games, when he played against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal last season everyone would admit he was the best player on the pitch every time. He just needs to be more consistent and punish the weaker teams with his strength and power. Chamak is a good striker but 13 goals in french league compared to KJ's 10 in the prem last season is like 5 in the Prem so KJ should be able to hold his own once he plays well. Good luck boi
It doesn't always work that way.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »

:bs:

Chamakh doesn't look an out and out striker to me more of a link up man with good pace and the ability to pass a man or 2.  I don't think he will score that many but will bring something to the team.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »
Wait nah...man expecting Pottong to act like Pitbull....

Steups..... :devil:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
Wait nah...man expecting Pottong to act like Pitbull....

Steups..... :devil:

Jus like people does expeck asshole to act like big man ent? :D

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
once he scoring he place book. goals win matches. once he slumping sit on the bench...that is the way it supposed to be.

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »
 is nice to make kj fight for he spot it makes some players better when the get benched for some games...but i dont think that sunderland should not be buying plenty forwards there midfield is where the problem is
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:47:39 PM »
if Bruce could park SJ when he was scoring, who is KJ ?1 thing for sure, Bruce go make him or Trade him

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
if Bruce could park SJ when he was scoring, who is KJ ?1 thing for sure, Bruce go make him or Trade him

Thats the top and bottom of it, time will tell which.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
If Bruce keep on buying forwards, it appears that those that are there will become expendable. That means bench and/or trade.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
If Bruce keep on buying forwards, it appears that those that are there will become expendable. That means bench and/or trade.
Except for KJ, those that are there are already expendable. Murphy? O'Donovan? Stokes? Waghorn?

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »
KJ count yuh blessing Crouchy gone Spurs yes....

Doe frighten yuh could practice yuh backflips warming bench....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:53:14 PM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
KJ count yuh blessing Crouchy gone Spurs yes....

Doe frighten yuh could practice yuh backflips warming bench....
huh?  ??? i rather if KJ had him as competition than some of the other players thats being linked to sunderland KJ is better than crouch for me, not only can he hold a ball up but hes quick and knows when to time his runs into the box... crouch is slow and he pulled on Sancho locks :rotfl: so in my book he's shit...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:18:56 PM by Trinidogg »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »
allyuh feel dis is tnt super league yes

lets get behind KJ ..is a new season...come on big man..do yuh ting
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
kj, your days are numbered. bruce is not lookiong for a number two striker to complement you, he is looking for a number one striker to sit you down.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »
kj, your days are numbered. bruce is not lookiong for a number two striker to complement you, he is looking for a number one striker to sit you down.
Nonsense! nobody puts their highest paid player on the bench! yuh think the investors and quin wasting money like that when harry offering big money tuh get KJ of their hands and they still not bitting.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
allyuh feel dis is tnt super league yes

lets get behind KJ ..is a new season...come on big man..do yuh ting

Bigs, it easier for his own people to cut him down.

KJ will rise to the occasion. We're behind you KJ. Make us proud.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »
Nonsense! nobody puts their highest paid player on the bench! yuh think the investors and quin wasting money like that when harry offering big money tuh get KJ of their hands and they still not bitting.

I don't think he is the highest paid player anymore, Cana will be and if Bent comes (looking increasing likely) he will probably be on more due to his present wages at Spuds.  Chamakh decision is expected this week, if that comes off it would mean Kenwyne, Bent, Chamakh and Campbell, although I don't see Chamakh as an out and out striker.

I think it is more around style of play changes than KJ now that Crouch has gone to Spurs, I am still far from convinced Kenwyne can play with a partner (whoever that may be) due to his control.  As a team it would be more about flooding around him to pick up the pieces.  Competition for him may still arrive but truthfully would much prefer more money spent on midfield and defence.

The only competition I can see is which style / formation we end up playing which will be decided on the midfield and who comes in, or if we suddenly show an interest in someone like Zigic.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »

I don't think he is the highest paid player anymore, Cana will be and if Bent comes (looking increasing likely) he will probably be on more due to his present wages at Spuds.  Chamakh decision is expected this week, if that comes off it would mean Kenwyne, Bent, Chamakh and Campbell, although I don't see Chamakh as an out and out striker.

I think it is more around style of play changes than KJ now that Crouch has gone to Spurs, I am still far from convinced Kenwyne can play with a partner (whoever that may be) due to his control.  As a team it would be more about flooding around him to pick up the pieces.  Competition for him may still arrive but truthfully would much prefer more money spent on midfield and defence.

The only competition I can see is which style / formation we end up playing which will be decided on the midfield and who comes in, or if we suddenly show an interest in someone like Zigic.

My point was, why waste money by keeping a highly paid player on the bench when they could make and save ah whole heap of cash by selling him.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 04:38:10 AM »
time go tell

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 07:21:14 AM »
JC

But Redknapp isn't biting our hands off he went for Crouch instead, probably money reasons.  Unless Kenwyne has a really good season I can't see us being offered that kind of money again.

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
well bent is joining sunderland now, competition is great.

they paid kj big money on the assumption he can score goals and perform at a high level, if bruce is not seeing it in him as the man to score the goals for sunderland then he will have to sit. he already sign the contract but if he not scoring goals they will have to find someonelse who could. as  bent comes in, a much better striker than kj he will have to warm bench. i doh c kj and bent playing together, same type of player, time will tell.

i just do not have faith in kj until he proves me wrong. i want him to do well but i am not a big fan of him as a striker.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 07:42:18 AM »
well bent is joining sunderland now, competition is great.

they paid kj big money on the assumption he can score goals and perform at a high level, if bruce is not seeing it in him as the man to score the goals for sunderland then he will have to sit. he already sign the contract but if he not scoring goals they will have to find someonelse who could. as  bent comes in, a much better striker than kj he will have to warm bench. i doh c kj and bent playing together, same type of player, time will tell.

i just do not have faith in kj until he proves me wrong. i want him to do well but i am not a big fan of him as a striker.
But Kenwyne is scoring goals. There's nothing to prove. You're confusing your national team frustration with his club performance.

1]; } ?>